The Princess and the Plague : 19 & 20

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague


By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Edeyn


"I... um... I kissed Julian."

"Mmmm?" Dr. Barts sounded interested. "Did you enjoy it?"

"It was... different," Erika admitted, "But I was drunk when I did it."

     

duckling.jpg

Eric slung his duffel over his shoulder and opened the door to greet Samantha and a gray, overcast day.

"Morning, sleepy head."

Eric closed the door behind him and scampered down the steps, "She won't talk to me."

"Tricia?"

"Who else."

"She's pretty pissed. You know she got grounded, didn't you."

"Yes, so did I," Eric grumbled, "I've still got to figure out how I'm going to get my parents to allow me to go to the game Friday."

"You have to go, it's your first game on the squad, not to mention a home game," Samantha stated.

"My parent's don't know I'm on the squad. I'm lucky I was able to get their permission to stay after school for my 'Political Cartoon' club," Eric made the quote marks in the air.

"How bad is it?" Samantha asked.

"Not nearly as bad as it could have been," Eric shrugged, "I think Dad is relieved that I'm making friends and doing things other than locking myself in my room. He is mainly upset that I didn't call to be picked up from the party."

"Duh. You broke their trust, as well as Tricia's Family's trust," Samantha agreed.

"Thanks for your support," Erika scoffed.

"One thing with parents, is you can't break their trust. Even if you do stupid things, you've got to give them the ability to trust you."

"Like telling them that I've been attending school as a girl?"

"Well..."

Samantha let it drop. They walked in silence for a few moments. "That reminds me, You can't change at Tricia's for a little while."

"What?"

"She's grounded from seeing you before and after school for a while, so we have to have you change somewhere else."

"Where?"

"I'm guessing school. My home is the other direction."

"Oh Shit!" Eric cursed, "How am I going to haul all of this to and from school without my mother noticing. Especially my Rally uniform?"

"I don't know. I'm sure we'll come up with something."

Eric shook his head and mumbled profanities to himself.

"I'm sorry this happened, but you brought this on yourself," Samantha stated, "If you hadn't gone wandering off in a drunken stupor Saturday night, none of this would have happened."

"I know, I know," Eric stomped on, "It's the whole plague thing all over again. I can't do anything right and everything I do or touch gets hurt or damaged."

"It's not about 'The Plague,'" Samantha insisted, "It's about thinking about what you are doing. How what you do effects others."

"God, I'm tired of hearing that! I'm tired of hearing how everything I do effects others." Eric stopped in his tracks, "You know what? Go on with out me. I'm not going to school today."

"Don't be so sensitive."

Eric responded by turning up a different street.

"Erika." Samantha called after him.

Eric put his head down and walked on, stiff backed.

"Come on Erika, we need to go to school," Samantha pleaded, "If you miss Rally, you'll be off the squad and there's nothing I can do about it."

Eric kept walking. He heard footsteps quickly approaching behind him.

"Erika, Please." Samantha pleaded.

"I'm sorry," Eric said plaintively. "I'm sorry that I got drunk. I'm sorry that I wandered away from the party and I'm sorry that Tricia got into trouble. I just need to be alone."

"I'll go with you," Samantha fell in step beside him.

"I'd rather you didn't."

"You are my friend, Erika. I will stay with you."

"If you were my friend, you'd let me be."

"I... can't," Samantha managed to get out.

"Why?"

"Cuz I don't want to leave the people I love alone when they are in pain," Samantha sniffled, "I did it to my sister and she killed herself."

"That wasn't your fault," Eric said flatly.

"If I hadn't left her alone, she might still be here," Samantha choked slightly.

"You can't blame yourself for Summer's death," Eric didn't slow his steps.

"No, but I can try and help others."

Eric stopped suddenly and looked at Samantha who almost stumbled over herself to stop.

"I am not going to kill myself. I just need to be alone to think."

Samantha just stared at him.

"The key word in that is 'alone.'"

"Come to school today," Samantha pleaded.

Eric shook his head and looked at the ground.

"Please."

He took a deep breath, "I'll make it to Rally practice, but I won't be going to school today."

"How do I know you won't go and do something stupid?" Samantha asked.

"Text me."

"Huh?"

"Text me throughout the day to make sure I'm still alive," Eric instructed.

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid." Samantha insisted.

"I promise," Eric avowed.

"Okay, I'll be texting you. If you don't answer a text within a few minutes of my sending it, I'll call the police."

"Make it two texts. Sometimes they get lost in transit or delayed."

"Fine," Samantha agreed as she wrapped her arms around her friend.

"I care about you so much," she told him.

"I care about you, too," Eric replied.

"See you at practice," Samantha said as she broke the embrace.

"Okay, I'll be there."

Samantha gave him one of her most beautiful smiles before heading back towards school.

Eric stood on the sidewalk, staring at a weed growing out of a crack.

"Weeds don't grow just in flower beds, but in concrete, too. Or is the concrete considered the weed?"

He took a deep breath and then let it out before walking on. Didn't Erika think about weeds the other night? Eric shook his head, No, it was something Dad's Uncle Will had said.

His dad had a lot of Uncle Will sayings and stories. Uncle Will had apparently passed away before Eric was born. It was something how stories about people you had never met can stick with you. His dad had some strange relatives, too. He'd never met Crazy Aunt Carrie, but his family received fudge from her for every Christmas.

Eric paid little attention to where he was heading, he just needed to walk -- and think. His thoughts drifted back to yesterday morning...

When he finished showering, he dressed in his boy clothes and exited the bathroom. The shower helped him feel a bit better, but his head still pounded from the previous nights antics. He stuffed a few of the odds and ends into his duffel and exited Tricia's bedroom. The pink-obsessed girl wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"Tricia?" he called.

No answer. He made his way down stairs where Tricia's mother had a choice of oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast. Samantha was finishing up her plate of pancakes.

Eric accepted a plate of the hotcakes and ate as much as his queasy stomach would allow.

"Here," Tricia's mother handed him two asprin, "Make sure you drink lots of water."

"Thanks," Eric nodded.

When he was done with breakfast, Tricia's mother made him call his mom and have her come pick him up.

When she arrived, Tricia's mother told her briefly what had transpired over night. Mrs. Martin was embarrassed and furious with her son.

"Go straight to your room, young man," she scolded, "I'm going to have a talk with your father, and we will decide what to do about this behavior of yours."

Eric's mind screamed out, What behavior, the drinking or the being a girl?! but he didn't voice his worry.

He dropped his duffel on his bed and began unpacking it. While he was eating breakfast, Tricia had apparently packed his bag. He found his forms, gaffe, makeup and jewelry stowed under the top layer of clothing. Was she kicking him out of her life?

He'd have to talk to her. Apologize to her and try to explain to her.

He could hear the muffled voices of his parents in a heated debate down stairs. Occasionally, he could make out his name being uttered, but beyond that... nothing.

Eric pulled out his mobile and called Tricia's phone. It went to voicemail. He called it again with the same result. He switched to texting and asked her to give him a call.

Having hidden the contraband, Eric flopped down on his bed and closed his eyes to the still pounding of his head.

Half an hour later, his dad knocked on his door, "Come down to the kitchen please."

Crap. Only serious conversations were reserved for the kitchen table. Eric scrambled out of bed and followed his dad downstairs.

The lecture went on for almost an hour. It was the responsibility lecture again. His mother added a few minutes about how many people died when drinking whether by alcohol poisoning or drunk driving. Dad cut that tangent down from the long version or else he would have been there another hour.

"Look, Eric, you are in High school. You will be going to parties with drinking and drugs. I would hope that we raised you with enough common sense to call a responsible adult to come pick you up if you partake in any of those kinds of things."

"You better not be doing drugs!" His mother snapped, "It's bad enough that you're drinking."

"Of course, I'd hope that you wouldn't experiment at all with that kind of stuff -- but I can't be there to hold your hand twenty-four seven. Just use your common sense. Your choices affect those around you."

"If in doubt, just pretend that your parents are standing behind you watching you," his mother added.

"Anyway, your mother and I have decided that you will grounded for two weeks. No X-box, no T.V., no girlfriends."

Eric couldn't believe his ears. That was all? That was it? That was just a slap on the hand.

"And you are to come straight home after school," his mother added.

"But mom..." Eric protested, "My club."

"That's too bad," Mrs. Martin crossed her arms over her chest, "And I'm going to be speaking to Dr. Barts about this as well."

"I can't be missing my club meetings," Eric was in a state of panic.

"You heard your mother," His dad ended it.

"I'll be kicked off... off the project," Eric whined.

"Maybe you'll think twice before drinking," his mother's voice was ice, "You need to consider how your actions affect others."

Eric went up to his room and flopped down on his bed and cried into his pillow. A little bit later, there was another knock on his door.

"Yeah?"

His dad poked his head through the door, "I spoke to your mother. You can still go to your club meetings after school, but you have to come straight home afterwards."

Eric raised his head from his pillow, "Really?"

His dad nodded.

"Thanks, Dad."

His dad smiled, "I remember what it is like being your age. You know my Uncle Will had to get me out of a few similar situations."

"He did?"

His dad's smile grew. He gave a wink and ducked out of the door and closed it behind him.

Eric could hardly believe what just happened. He was only grounded for two weeks. He could grin and bear that. He pulled out his phone and called Tricia again. Again with the voicemail.

Maybe she's busy. She probably didn't get my text either. Eric texted her again and lay back on his bed, the crying made his head ache along with the pounding.

Before long he found himself at a park. He didn't come to this part of town very often, everything seemed a bit alien to him. The trees swayed back and forth as the wind gusted through their tops. Eric dropped his duffel at the edge of the play area and sat on a swing and began to slowly swing back and forth. The creaking of the rusty joint of the swing above his head kept a steady tempo as the wind picked up and died around him blowing strands of hair across his face. Absently, he tucked the loose tresses behind his ear and pulled on his seemingly naked earlobe.

Everyone was after him to start seeing how he affected others. His mother, his dad, Dr. Barts -- even Samantha. Tricia was grounded because of his actions. His mother was keeping information from his father because of his actions. Dr. Barts said that she was was ethically on a razor's edge because of his actions. Why did he have to cause so many people pain?

Eric was restless. He felt undone, incomplete. He wanted comfort, to feel whole again. He grabbed his duffel and started to storm out of the park but first he'd have to use the bathroom.

Without thinking, he walked into the woman's bathroom and was using a stall before he realized what he was doing. Luckily due to the gray weather and it being a weekday morning, no one else was using the park.

Eric's phone vibrated as he set his duffel down. He pulled it out and sighed.

Samantha: Where R U? What R U doing?

Erika: At park thinking

Samantha: about what?

Erika: about everything

Samantha: K. bug U L8r

Eric tucked the phone back and entered a stall.

He finished what he was doing and washed his hands. He looked into the polished stainless steel sheet that passed as a mirror and felt naked. He rummaged around in his duffel and began pulling stuff out.

Fifteen minutes later, Erika emerged from the park's bathroom. She was still wearing her boy clothes but with her breast forms in place, makeup, earrings and roughly styled hair, no one would give her a second glance.

She breathed a sigh of relief, not realizing how 'normal' it felt to be Erika. She slung her duffel straps over her shoulder as if it was a large purse and began walking again. Her mind mulling over the events of the weekend and how she was going to get Tricia to talk to her and hopefully forgive her. She could bring her some flowers, perhaps stand below her window with a tape player blasting love songs.

Erika, not paying attention where she was going, looked up at the sound of sweeping. She looked around and found herself just outside the Skate Park. Everyone called it the Skate Park, Heather's Heavenly Heathen Hideaway Snack bar and Skating Emporium was just a bit of a mouthful.

Summer had friends that would bring their decks to the park to use it's half pipes, rails, jumps and pools. Erika didn't have the coordination or balance to walk without tripping, let alone balance on a plank perched on wheels. She was still getting the hang of walking in heels, despite spending the summer walking around in the strappy wedge sandals that Samantha had her wear.

"What a mess," Erika heard herself say out loud.

"It was worse yesterday," a youngish woman in her mid-twenties said looking up from her broom.

"What happened?" Erika asked as she recognized her as Heather, the owner.

"There was a big skate-off on Saturday; boys versus girls."

"Who won?" Erika asked.

"It was a tie, but the girls won due to the guys being bad sportsmen."

"Sounds about par for course," Erika shrugged, "What did they do? The boys I mean."

"Wexler, the leader of the boys, saw that the girls might win and deliberately caused Annie to fall," the woman shook her head, "It's a good thing I enforce that rule about helmets."

"Was she hurt?"

"Concussion. Her brother and friend cross-checked the guy and sent him to the hospital. It looked pretty bad."

"Sounds like you had quite a weekend, "Erika shook her head in disbelief.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" Heather asked.

"On my way now," Erika backed off.

"Be careful."

Erika waved a thanks and headed down the road, retreating back into deep thought.

How would being Erika affect those around me? She asked herself. What difference does it make whether I'm a boy or a girl? The change of a pronoun? An 'F' instead of an 'M' on paperwork? Oh, I know, she smiled, whether I sit or stand when I pee.

How would it affect Mom if I told her who I really was? She would gain a daughter. Someone to shop with, gossip with, cook with. It was nice having ice cream with her last week. She seemed to enjoy it... I think. Erika cast her thoughts back to last weekend. She smiled, but she did seem a bit stiff. Once she gets used to the idea, I'm sure she would relax.

That leaves Dad, or should I call him Daddy? One thing at a time. Let's get him to accept me as me, Erika, first. Maybe he'd like me to call him Daddy... It's like Dr. Barts said though, If I became a girl, I mean all the way, I would be a girl, but I wouldn't be able to have children. Dad wouldn't be able to pass on the family name. I could always adopt kids, but is that the same? Dad doesn't even know about Erika, yet. He'd probably flip his lid and start calling me names like the rest of his family does about anyone who is different.

Erika sighed.

He'll never accept me... I've got to figure out a way. I've got to figure out a way that he will accept me as Erika... I've just got to. Maybe Samantha will have an idea? I wonder if Dr. Barts knows a way that would keep him from blowing up right away and possibly think about it first?

She dug her vibrating phone out again.

Samantha: What R U doing?

Erika: I'm taking a walk n thinking

Samantha: Just checking in

Erika: Haven't done anything drastic

Samantha: Keep it that way. C ya

Erika put the phone away, looked up and found herself a couple of blocks from the batting cages. She wasn't angry or frustrated -- well maybe a little frustrated. She decided to use the card that her dad had given her and swing at some balls.

The guy inside the office of the batting cages looked at her weird as she selected a helmet. He shrugged and turned back to watching his little T.V. leaving her alone.

Erika picked out a bat and went into the slow pitch cage and swiped her card. She settled into a batting stance and tensed as the light on the machine lit up, informing her of the eminent pitch.

She thought of her life before going to Camp Kumoni. Eric had a few friends growing up, but he did tend to stay to himself. He wasn't good at sports, he was a bit clumsy and always one of the last to be picked for team sports. Before he had received the computer for Christmas a few years ago, he'd spent a lot of time with his nose in a book or with pads of paper, and what ever he had at hand to draw with, whether it was pencil, ink pen, charcoal or even crayon. Eric was always allowed to let his mind escape as he drew, he would become the super hero using super powers, or a critter in the forest of a landscape that he painted.

Life after the computer seemed even more secluded. He spent a lot of time listening to music and playing in photoshop.

She swung the bat and connected with a ball. She rejoiced in the feel of the vibrations of the bat as well as the metallic clink sound as the ball was sent the opposite direction.

Should I talk to Leeza? Or maybe Dr. Barts? she wondered.

“I need to talk with someone,” she muttered to herself as she swung and chopped a ball.

Should I sit Mom and Dad down and just blurt it out? Or should I do it while we're out to dinner so that they'd have a hard time reacting? Mom's going to be pissed about school, but Dad is going to shit a brick.

Erika batted a few more balls then turned in the helm and bat. She fixed her hair in the bathroom mirror and walked a few blocks to catch a bus to get across town.

Samantha: What's up?

Erika: At the bus stop.

Samantha: Where R U going?

Erika: 2 C Dr Barts

Samantha: R U ok?

Erika: Yes. I just want to talk to her.

Samantha: Good. Text me as soon as U R done. Talk 2 U L8r

Erika stood at the bus stop and wondered if she should call Dr. Barts' office first.

I really need to see her, she thought, I need to start getting things in order to talk to Dad; well, Mom too, but she already knows about me. Sort of. Should I tell him dressed as myself or as Eric? I wonder if I should have Tricia there with me? First I have to figure out how to get her to speak to me.

Erika's heart ached. She hadn't felt this chest pain since Summer... since Summer... since Summer left.

Erika got on the bus, well, what passed for a bus in Constitution. The town had small shuttle-type buses that passed as the transit system, but at least they had them.

Erika lay her head against the window and stared off seeing nothing.

-20-

Erika stood outside Dr. Bart's office, staring up at the building, her duffel hanging from her hands. She took a deep breath to clear her head, and walked in.

"Hello, do you have an appointment today?" The receptionist asked.

"No, but I need to speak to Dr. Barts," Erika nervously rubbed her hands together.

"Does she know that you are here?"

"No," Erika admitted, "I thought about calling when I was on the bus, but I spaced it."

"She's in an appointment right now," The receptionist explained.

"I figured. I can wait," Erika said hopefully.

"She's pretty booked up today, but I'll ask her if she can see you."

"That would be wonderful," Erika smiled weakly.

"Take a seat and I'll talk to her as soon as she comes out of her current session."

Erika nodded and picked up a magazine and eased into a chair. She was finishing her fourth magazine when Dr. Barts opened the door.

"Erika?"

Erika almost jumped to her feet. She set the magazine down and looked up at Dr. Barts.

"I, um, I needed to talk to you," she stammered.

"Are you all right?" Dr. Barts asked.

Erika nodded hesitantly. She eased to the edge of her chair in anticipation.

"Give me a few minutes," Dr. Barts smiled at her. She went to the receptionists and talked to her at some length before turning back to Erika. "Come on in, Erika."

Erika followed her therapist down the hall and into her office. Dr. Barts received a file from her receptionist and closed the door as Erika perched at the edge of the chair. Dr. Barts lowered her glasses from the top of her head down to her nose and took a seat across from her.

Crossing her legs, Dr. Barts finally looked up at Erika and asked, "Is there something wrong?"

"There's always something wrong," she rolled her eyes, and paused, "but that isn't why I'm here," Erika managed to find her voice. She continued after taking a deep breath, "I've been doing a lot of thinking, actually, about what you've said and all... about figuring out who I am and how it will affect those around me."

"Oh?"

"Well, I really feel like I need to be a girl; that I am a girl," Erika gulped. "I mean, I want to tell my parents, but I don't really know how to, you know, tell my dad with out him overreacting."

"What do you think your dad will do?" Dr. Barts asked.

"I, I'm not sure. It's like I said before, his family are homophobes or anti-gay or something. They are always calling them names or telling jokes."

"Do you think your father might get violent?"

"Like beat me up, or kill me or something?" Erika blinked. "I don't think so. He might be extremely mad, and make my life a living hell or something, but I don't think he'll get violent."

"When did you want to tell them?" Dr. Barts asked.

"I was thinking maybe this Saturday. I want to plan out exactly what I should say. Should I have friends around? Should I do it at home? Or should I do it in public like a restaurant?"

"I think having a friend or two around would be all right. You could do it here in my office, so that I can, perhaps, help your dad understand."

"That might work." Erika conceded.

"Are you sure you want to make this change?" Dr. Barts inquired.

"I already have," Erika nodded. "I didn't realize how much I am this," she gestured down at her body, "until recently. Today, really."

"How so?" Dr. Barts arched an eyebrow over the top of her glasses.

"I feel like I'm playing dressing up, or should I say dress down, when I'm wearing my Eric clothes. I feel like I'm acting when I'm with my parents, being Eric. It just... doesn't seem real anymore."

"So you believe you are a girl," there wasn't a question in her voice.

Erika nodded.

"Have you had any relationships with boys?"

"What?" Erika was surprised.

"Have you gone out with any boys?"

"Well, I kind of went on a date at camp, but the guy was a jerk."

Dr. Barts wrote in the file.

"And I - I went to a party on Friday night."

"Mmmmm?"

"I... um... I kissed Julian."

"Mmmm?" Dr. Barts sounded interested. "Did you enjoy it?"

"It was... different," Erika admitted, "But I was drunk when I did it."

"Are you attracted to this boy?"

"He's cute, I guess, if that's what you mean," Erika shrugged, "But I'm in love with Tricia."

"She's one of the girls you were at camp with, right?"

Erika nodded.

"Have you had any other relationships with boys?"

"I made a friend at camp. Matt. He and I email. He's planning on meeting up after a football game next month."

"Erika, have you seen the medical Doctor yet?"

"Yes. They took a bunch of blood and made me pee in a cup."

Dr. Barts nodded, "You haven't gotten the results back yet?"

"No, why?"

"I just want to see if your blood chemical levels are in check. See what your hormone levels are. If you really want to be a girl, then you need to start thinking about what it entails. You haven't gone through much in the way of puberty. And, well, if we start now, we can likely block it from happening at all so that you don't start growing more facial hair, your voice doesn't deepen any more and you don't get too muscular."

"You can do that?" Erika asked.

"In a few years we can even encourage more feminine traits by giving you hormone treatments. You can grow your own breasts, your skin will become softer and smoother, you'll even get the mood swings that women go through."

"I can do without those," Erika grinned, "My mom says I'm moody enough as it is."

Dr. Barts smiled. "So what we will be doing, or I should say, what you will be beginning is called RLT, or Real Life Test. Where you will live as a girl in every way, twenty-four/seven. The law says that all transgender persons must complete the RLT and have several doctors' give an 'OK' before having SRS -- which is Sexual Reassignment Surgery."

"You mean they could cut off my penis?"

"They actually invert the penis and create a vagina, but it's the same effect as having been cut off, in a basic sense."

Erika thought about that for a few moments. Dr. Barts let it sink in.

"I think it's a bit premature to be thinking about cutting off body parts," Erika stated.

Dr. Barts smiled before responding, "I'm glad you aren't trying to rush things, Erika. It shows that you are being methodical about this situation and giving it real thought."

Erika nodded.

"So, I want you to talk to your mother, then have her call me as soon as you can, so that we can schedule this meeting with your father."

"Should I confront him as Eric or myself?" Erika's heart sped up a bit.

"I think I should talk it over with your mother first," was the answer from Dr. Barts, but her eyes sparkled as she made some notations in the file and placed it on her desk.

Erika rose and almost shyly gave Dr. Barts a hug, whispering a muffled, "Thank you,” into the woman's shoulder.

"You're welcome, Erika," Dr. Barts replied, giving her a brief squeeze in return.

--o0o--

Erika walked out of the building and took a deep breath of fresh autumn air. Her heart sped up and then slowed down. She was going to have to face her parents -- especially her father -- sometime in the next few days. She walked down the street to a bus stop.

Erika pulled her cell phone out as she sat on the bench.

Erika: Ive talked 2 Dr. Barts about telling my parents

Samantha: When R U telling them?

Erika: Sat.

Samantha: Shall I spread the word?

Erika: No keep it secret 4 now

Samantha: k. C U at practice

Erika rode the bus to the mall and entered the food court. She ended up eating a taco salad before walking down one of the mall's large shop-lined corridors. An eerie chill raced down her spine as she realized that the last time she was here was when Eric had been pushed into the fountain.

That made the decision for her.

She was going to confront her father. She was going to tell him that he no longer had a son but a daughter instead. The thought both frightened and thrilled her.

Erika dug into her pants pockets and counted out what money she had managed to save. 48 dollars. She smiled at the small cache of bills and entered Forever 21. A new top would be way better than this polo shirt.

She started thinking about what she might wear when she met her father for the first time as herself. Should she wear a dress? Or should would it be better to wear a slightly more feminine version of attire she wore today? What if her father became one of those 'Not under my roof!' dads? What if he made her change back into Eric and go to school as Eric? The thought horrified her. If that happened, maybe 'Eric' could switch to going to Adams High School. Would he be able to avoid being 'The Plague' there?

Think positive, she told herself.

She bought a new blue top that brought out her eyes and wore it out of the store, having stuffed the polo shirt into her duffel.

Erika looked at the clock and realized that she needed to get to school so that she didn't miss practice.

---o0o---

"How are you feeling?" Samantha greeted.

"Better than this morning. How's Tricia?"

"She didn't join us for lunch. I think she's still pretty upset."

"Where have you been all day?" Victoria asked joining them.

"Went to see my shrink."

"Cute top. Where did you find that?" Samantha looked over the cut and style.

Erika beamed, "I just got it over at Forever 21 on my way here. Like it?"

"I think I might want to borrow it."

Victoria giggled shaking her head.

"Come on, let's get to practice," Krystal told them as she passed by.

Erika changed in one of the bathrooms and joined the rally squad in the gym, stretching and getting limber before working on their routines.

"Where have you been?" Jordon asked, "I didn't see you at school today."

"I had a Doctor's appointment." Erika explained to the Rally Leader.

"Taylor was going to get all pissy if you hadn't shown up for practice," Jordon warned, "Just watch yourself."

"Thanks."

Taylor didn't say anything to her through out the practice about her missing school. She did grill her on some missed steps in one of the routines, though.

"We have to get this together for Friday's game," the squad leader berated. "You're going to look pretty funny on the field messing up!" But the comments were directed at the whole group, and Erika knew she wasn't the only one to mess up. "Practice at home, practice at lunch, practice in your sleep," Taylor instructed.

Hot and sweaty, Erika was thankful for the end of practice. She packed up her duffel and waited for Samantha and Krystal to finish.

"You going to shower?" Taylor asked.

"I'll shower at home." Erika responded.

"Okay," The dark girl's braids swung and bobbed as she turned and walked towards the locker room.

Samantha and Krystal soon finished and the three walked down the street towards home.

"You need to get rid of that make up before you get home," Samantha reminded her.

"Oh, shit, you're right," Erika swore, "I've just become so comfortable as Erika, I forget that I have to pretend to be Eric."

"Just a while longer," Samantha smiled.

Erika nodded back with a smile of her own. "Let's stop at Mickey D's, I can wash up there."

The three girls crossed the street to the McDonald's. While Erika made her reverse transformation, Samantha and Krystal ordered some fries and drinks.

"I can only have a few fries..." Krystal informed Samantha, "I've got to keep on my diet."

"You're doing great. Jorge says that you are really nailing the lifts and catches too."

Krystal blushed slightly.

Erika, back in her boy clothes and makeup scrubbed off joined them outside and said good bye to Krystal as she headed to her home.

"We missed you at school today," Samantha told Erika.

"I doubt Tricia is missing me much right now."

"Have you tried calling her?"

"Last night, she still wouldn't answer her phone."

"She just needs to chill for a while," Samantha assured Erika.

"Oh, shit, both of my parents are home," Erika swore.

"That's bad?"

"Dad usually doesn't get home until late, especially on a Monday."

"Good thing you washed up," Samantha pointed out.

"Yeah."

"Well, I hope everything is okay. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure," Erika held her arms out for a hug from Samantha.

"Thanks," she said.

"What for?" Samantha asked.

"Texting me and caring about me today."

"That's what friends are for. I just wish I could have done the same for Summer."

"Me too."

Erika took a deep breath on the front door stoop to realign her thinking to that of Eric and stepped through the door.

"I'm home," Eric called out, "I really need a shower though."

"Eric," His mother's voice was firm, "Come here."

Eric's heart skipped a beat.

Oh, shit, what is it? he thought.

Eric took two deep breaths and tried to calm his heart before rounding the corner to the kitchen.

His mother and father both sat at the kitchen table looking up at him with concerned faces.

"Where have you been?" his mother asked.

"I told you... I had that political cartoon club," Eric was trying to think fast on his feet.

"I mean where were you today?" his mother asked.

Eric's heart felt like a dead lead weight in his chest.

"I dropped by your school today and they informed me that you weren't there," his mother's voice had an icy edge to it.

up
195 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Double Digest

Hey all, I know it's a bit early, but I felt I just needed to post this since the past few posts were a bit vague and didn't have a whole lot going on.

After some thought, I decided NOT to divide these into two posts. I felt they needed to stay together. I hope it is okay.

A.A.

You hope it's okay?

Oh.My.Gawd. Yes! Yes, it's okay. Of course it's okay. I am sooo into this story, you wouldn't believe. I really, really, ~really~ love it. Now I'll be a nervous wreck for I don't know how long whenever I think of Erika and anticipating what will happen next. You did warn us about some gross somethings hitting the fan, but omg, I can't wait. I'll have to wait. *Contain yourself girl! Geez*

Oh, about Tricia... I can understand she's cross with Erika. And sure, she gives her the silent treatment. It's a powerful tool. But! More than 12 hours, when you're in love. When your love is a very insecure, naive, shy girl under a ~lot~ of pressure? While ~you~ are an experienced, self-assured, willful, wised up girl in the lead, that's cruelty. Or you were just playing. Now that can't be it, can it?

Oh the suspense. Rrrr.

Jo-Anne

Thank you but uuuuggggggghhhhhhh!

AA, thank you so much for the extra (and double) episode!

But now I am frustrated with another cliff-hanger.

You and Ang need to start the cliffhanger club :P.

Stephanie

Double Post is Definitely Alright!

But, we're now at the cusp of the dreaded Episode 21, and the promised train wreck which appears to have just started. So, how long do we have to wait for Ep. 21?

By the way, very good set of chapters.

Oh wow...

Yet more problems for poor Erika! Ouch! >.< But I'm glad she's figured out who she is now.
I always look forward to reading this, just as I did Camp Kumoni, 'cuz they're awesome, as are you for writing them! ^^

Sorry for not commenting sooner, but I'm a bit shy and wasn't sure what to say. ^^;;

*hugs*

Arisu

This looks like Saturday is

This looks like Saturday is going to out of the question, because Erika is going to have to out herself to her Dad. It is too bad that Erika doesn't have Samantha there with her for support. J-Lynn

Great Chapter!!!! Thanks for the early post!

KristineRead's picture

Anastasia,

Thanks for the early post and for bringing us to the next part so quickly. By posting again this week, and including the next two chapters, you have effectively brought us 3 weeks closer! I for one just can't wait to see what happens.

Eric really needs to tell her mother that she went to see Dr. Barts, that she needed to talk to her about everything that was going on, and Dr. Barts should confirm that Erik did come see her. Her mother will still be upset, but it is not quite the same as just playing hookey.

Now the real question is, did the school tell her that Eric had not been to school all year, and did she figure out that she was going as Erika? I doubt the connection was made yet. She probably believes that Eric has not been going at all, and that of course would be a whole different problem.

The real question though is why has the school not contacted Eric's parents to tell them that he had not been to school all year? That is a huge issue. Maybe they were just relieved not to have "The Plague" show up. That school is so culpable for all that has happened to Eric.

As for Tricia, she is pissed, and rightly so. She is grounded and forbidden to see Erika right now, so that is also part of it. She will get over it eventually, and I suspect that someone will point out her own part in the fiasco as well.

Once again, Tricia's mother fails to do what a parent should do. Though she did (properly) explain what had happened the night before, actually speaking with Eric's mother, yet she did not bring up that Eric had been changing into Erika at their house to go to school every day. Knowing how Mrs. Martin had felt when they met at the camp, that is just incomprehensible to me as parent.

So hopefully sometime in the next week we will see it all come to play. Dr. Barts needs to be involved very quickly here, I am really hoping that Eric tells his mother that he went to see Dr. Barts, that he has been to school, and that he really would like to finish this discussion with Dr. Barts present. He needs the support during this that Dr. Barts can provide.

Anastasia, Thanks so much for the story... I can't wait for part 21.

Hugs,

Kristy

Thank you...

...for the early post, and the double post, and for the reference to Edeyn's "Sk8r Grrls". :-D That was really cool!

I don't think you've really had that much of a problem moving the action in your stories forward. You have a very good handle, actually, on pacing in general, and >despite< the complaints about cliffhangers (which are good for this kind of episodic, installment sort of writing and publication anyway). And it's complemented by your characterization. It is always a joy to read your stories! Even when I'm bawling my eyes out or stifling screams of frustration. :-) They're good cries, and cathartic mads, so keep them coming!

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

So Eric(a) will be raked over the coals for skipping school...

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Ani,

Another lovely chapter. Tricia is getting me worried. I hope she and Erica can sort out their troubles. Samantha on the other hand is certainly proving a true friend.

Thanks for sharing ths story with us.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Erika Should Have Known

jengrl's picture

Erika should have known that her parents would find out she skipped school. Even if her mother hadn't gone there, the school still would use a robo call message to let them know. They used to do that any time we missed for being sick when I was in school. It seems her parents will be finding out about her secret life sooner rather than later. The parents were right to ground them. Hopefully, they all learn their lesson about doing something stupid like drinking. I would stay away from all the parties if I were everyone involved.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Double Trouble For

Eric. After what's happened, I am wondering just what happens next? Does the 4 inch door need to appear?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cautiously Optimistic for Erika

terrynaut's picture

Hey! This was a nice surprise. :)

I don't think Erika has been taking Eric's play too long in school. But whatever the case, I hope it shows her parents how serious and desperate she is to be a girl.

Things will probably go a lot better for her if she comes clean about everything as soon as possible. Better her parents hear it from her than someone else.

Thanks very much for all the chapters this week. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next chapter. I'm starting to imagine less gloom and doom after reading these two chapters.

- Terry

THANK YOU for this one...

An awful lot happened here... Stuff is hitting the fan. Some already has, some may well be. Some of Erica's friends are still accepting her, and supporting her. Trisha? We don't know where Trisha is. She's hurt, for sure... Is that all though?

Now that you've set a precident for early posting, and larger posts, we are probably going to get GREEDY on them...

Thanks for all of this!
Annette

Well, this is a stump blower

I guess the disclosure isn't going to wait till Saturday. If it were me, I'd just spill my guts and let 'em stink in the sun. I'd fear the approaching doom so much that I wouldn't be able to hold it together.

God, this is like dumping diesel into the fertilizer. I simply can not imagine a worse situation. Poor Erica.

Gwen

Timing of disclosure...

and how the disclosure is made - can make a LOT of difference... Someone who might (in a calm setting) be able to get past the immediate explosive reaction nand think things through see the implications could well never get to that point, if it's brought up in a time of anger/stress. (Yes, I'm speaking from experience...)

So, yes, it's possible to just lay it all out. As Eric(a) is a minor so she/he (Erica has said she really is a she, so I'll use that for now.) is still is dependant on her parents. They DO have a LOT of say in what happens to her now...

Annette

Of course there is the usual lament

... from parents of trans folks who are their only child: "But I want Grandchildren !"

It is just going to make things harder, that's all.

On the other hand, the silver lining is that she will be buying time to allow her to decide.

Kim

I don't have to worry about THAT lament...

As my parents already HAVE grandchildren (from me)...

So far, we've seen no indication that Erica has living grandparents. (Unless I missed it, which certainly is possible.) And, it's still possible for Erica to "father" children, as long as "HE" can generate sperm now, it can be "saved" and used at some later date (though there are cases where the sperm banks have renig'd on the deal).

Annettte

Eric/a is about to have his/her great fall.

RAMI

Less then 6 hours and 49 votes which is over 10% of readers of the 447 readers, and 17 comments.

I got here late, so everything I would have said has been said by others. In light of the recent post on comments what I will say today is:

DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO """"""""""""".

By the way, I think Eric/a is about to have his/her great fall.

Samantha is being a great friend and champion for Eric/a. Is it Tricia or her parent's keeping her from speaking with Eric/a?

RAMI

RAMI

Might as well

... get a head start and alert All The King's Horses now ( they take a little longer to mobilize I suppose ) ... maybe they will be more effective given a head's up ?

Oh, go ahead an alert the King's Men in the next episode.

I don't want to look *shakes head*.

Kim

Maybe Alice or the Mad Hatter too, Will Tricia be late for a dat

RAMI

Perhaps Alice also. But since this is a mad cap adventure, with exciting twists and turns and great speculation, the Mad Hatter could be called into help.

Is Tricia, like the White Rabbit going to have to say, "I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date! No time to say hello, goodbye! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" I CANT LEAVE ERIKA TO HER OWN FATE.

RAMI

Not in the States

And that is where this tale takes place is it not?

"So what we will be doing, or I should say, what you will be beginning is called RLT, or Real Life Test. Where you will live as a girl in every way, twenty-four/seven. The law says that all transgender persons must complete the RLT and have several doctors' give an 'OK' before having SRS -- which is Sexual Reassignment Surgery."

No, no law on having to do RLT. No, no law on several doctors giving an OK before SRS. In fact, the mighty Dr. Bowers has performed SRS on people who did not do a RTL or have any letters from any doctors giving an OK.

I expected ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... an additional sentence of dialog: "Yes, where were you, ERIKA?" They have got to know now; the school would have referred to her as Erika and used feminine pronouns. ... "We were worried about ERIKA when SHE didn't show up today. Did you call your DAUGHTER in and somehow we missed the message?" or somesuch

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Different names

The school wouldn't expect Mrs Martin to be asking about Erika Summers.

School calling home.

Obviously the school called home or her mother kind of gave it away at the school. Did she ask for Eric? Or did the person assume she meant Erica, since they have no Eric in their roster?

So they told the mother Erica is not in today? Did the mother catch on and not say anything? Or did she go, "No Eric is my son!"

I certainly hope not. I hope she was quick on her feet and said, "Ok." then left.

Now this means she now knows he is going to school as Erica, and she wonders how she did it.

She knows the truth, but will she keep it to herself or will she spill the beans and her father get into the act; putting Eric in deep do-do. Will this cause Erica to lose it and follow Summer to the happy hunting grounds in the sky? If the father can not handle this news, I think Eric is really going to lose it. She is going to have to be put on suicide watch.

Just my opinion. I see the light on the other traqin approaching. I hope someone gets to the switch, before it can't change tracks, for it will be one heck of a crash. Jail time for the others for falsifying information, breaking and entering, Consperacy to defraud the school (hiding Eric and letting Erica take his place), and allowing a male into the girls locker room. They all meant well, but it put them into big trouble. Which means they will be kicked off from every extra curricular activity the girls do. Which means being banished from the cheer squad.

I wonder if Eric will take the fall for everyone and say he did it all himself. Not implicating the girls? He would then be heroic for the girls. That means the plague will be outted no matter what guise Eric or Erica is in. The same boys will go after either one, if it gets out.

Good job on the story. Keep up the good work.

Hugs
Joni

There can be more than one Erika in a school :)

Frank's picture

They might have just told his Mom that he isn't registered there this year and they don't know where he is/has been going. His parents could assume he just has been NOT going...

Of course HE may blurt it out before finding out they didn't know...

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Some of It's Been Said Already, But...

No, the school didn't contact her, and no, the school didn't volunteer anything about Erika. What they'd have told her when she asked was that Eric Martin wasn't registered there this year. (Or was registered but had never shown up all year, if the conspirators didn't pull Eric's data out of the files when they inserted Erica's.)

Mrs Martin knows enough that she'd presumably have asked, given that information, about an Erika Martinez. But they wouldn't have found one. I'd expect Erika Summers to be too much of a stretch for her -- the school seems too large for there not to be several Ericas and Erikas enrolled, and there'd be no obvious reason either to choose that one or to allow Mrs Martin to sift through all the possibilities and determine that the one she was looking for was absent from school.

One weird idea comes to mind: Tricia sees that Erika hasn't shown up at school. She doesn't want to talk to their mutual friends about it, and certainly doesn't want to confront Eric, but she's afraid his blood will be on her hands if she lets the situation lie and it turns out that he's about to attempt suicide. So she leaves a phone message (anonymously?) with Mrs Martin and includes the Erika Summers name. In effect, it's Erika Summers that Tricia is mad at; Eric Martin would never have kissed Julian, if only because Julian wouldn't have tried to kiss Eric in the first place. So although it'll send everything into chaos, exploding the pretense makes emotional sense for Tricia, even if it's not a logical thing for her to do or consistent with the way she thinks Erika sees herself. (I'd think it more logical for Tricia to contact Leeza, not Mrs Martin, but again, we're not talking logic here, and besides, Tricia's objective isn't to make Eric/Erika feel better, it's to keep him/her alive, and away from Julian.)

The trouble with all that is that I get the impression from the way Mrs Martin asked Eric that question that she doesn't know about Erika Summers or anything other than Eric missing school today. It's possible that her heads-up came from one of the people Eric or Erika interacted with while wandering around, but Eric of course didn't think any of them could identify either Eric or Erika, and Mrs Martin said -- untruthfully? if so, why? -- said it was the school that told her (when she went there and inquired) that Eric wasn't there today.

Hope A.A. has the situation under control, even if nobody in the Martin family does...

Eric

Couple of points

KristineRead's picture

First, once again the school has no way to connect Mrs. Martin to Erika Summers. Mrs. Martin has no way of knowing what name Eric has been going to school as.

So there is no way that they told her mother that "Erika was not in school today."

Eric is registered, but has not been going, they found his paperwork in the pile on the desk, it had been pulled. There is really no excuse for the school having not contacted the Martin's before about his not showing up. Frankly the school could be sued for this itself.

Erika has not been in the girls locker room. Note that she did not go there to shower, and she has changed in the bathrooms, not the locker room. They did however commit the other crimes. They are however unlikely to do jail time for this, though they will be punished, and the loss of extra curricular's is probably a reasonable punishment, probably with a suspension.

As for suicide watch... we have to see. Eric is in a fragile state right now, but he does not appear to have ever been suicidal. This will really depend on how quickly Eric's mother brings Dr. Barts into this fight. As I indicated before if Eric is smart, he will tell her that is where he went today, and demand to have this discussion at Dr. Barts office.

Hugs,

Kristy

Updated to add... No keeping Dad out of it now, he is home, apparently called home by Mom to deal with this. I suspect she does NOT know about Erika and school, because that she would have handled without him first, based on previous behavior on her part.

I suspect that the first sentence in the next chapter will be "In fact,they tell me that you have not been there all year..." Which would explain the phrasing she used to end this chapter.

Kristy

Wow!!! so many comments

Wow!!! so many comments, Just shows how many of us love your story Ani,

It was good to see Erika finally deciding to be true to her inner self ,although having to tell her dad about his new daughter may yet cause a few as yet, unforseen problems!

If Tricia is half the girl i think she is then very soon she will be back with Erika... Can't wait for that i do love a good romance {sighs}...

Ani you spoil us, Two episodes in one does that mean two weeks until your next posting? I really hope not, Waiting a week is bad enough!!!! Hope to get my next fix soon.

Hugs Kirri

Been enjoying this story all along

Hi, Anistasia,
I have to admit, some of Erica's adventures aren't easy to read, but you have me hooked. Thanks,
Michelle

Did Victoria spill the beans about Eric/a?

RAMI

We will have to wait till the next posting to find out what happened when Mrs. Martin went to school. Was a connection made between Eric Martin and Erica Summers?

One possibility not raised by anyone else to this point, is that Victoria was working in the office at the time, saw Mrs. Martin come in, overheard or found out what was going on and came clean. She told Mrs. Martin and the powers that be, the truth. So everyone now knows, about Eric, Erika, and the conspiracy to create her. That the school did not immediately take action and Victoria did not tell anyone could be easily explained by the school waiting to do anything, until they get the parents and the hugher school administration involved. They also could have warned Victoria not to talk about this with anyone or suffer a harsher punishment.

RAMI

RAMI

Documented plot hole

Maybe we have just experienced a fully documented occurrence of the much feared "Author Oversight", something that every writer views with fear and trembling. GAWD, this could just blow the whole matter right out in the open eh?

I can just see Victoria standing there behind the counter, hemmed in by Erika's mom on one side and the ever present, much feared, School Secretary on the other!

"Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!!!

One wrong word and the whole matter just splashes out like when you miss the skillet while flipping your eggs. Ewwwww!

Gwendolyn

Poor Erika

Erika is in for some serious pain in her near future. This story is coming along very nicely, nice way to referance the Ska8er Gurls!! :)_

Another possible scenario

A lot of readers are wondering why Mrs Martin checked with the school today of all days. One possibility is that Dr Barts, or more likely her secretary, let Mrs Martin know that Eric was with the Doctor.

This could have prompted Mrs Martin to visit the school to explain his absence (so he doesn't get in trouble for truancy!), only for her to find out that he hadn't been attending at all.

Remember the school had a backlog of calls to make to ask the whereabouts of students not starting back at the beginning of term, and Eric's records were removed from the pile of parents yet to be contacted. Has the school has effectively lost all records of Eric, at least until somebody realises his records are gone?

I don't think that the school or Mrs Martin could have made the connection to Erica Summers. Even if Mrs Martin suspects that Eric is attending under a false ID, she doesn't know what name he is actually using.

Good story AA, I look forward to the next chapter.

DL

Great Chapter, I cant wait

Great Chapter, I cant wait til the next.

mmmmm Dead Uncle Will, and a crazy aunt Carrie. I think we'll hear more about theses characters.

Is Aunt Carrie's Fudge gooey enough.

RAMI

Maybe Aunt Carrie's Fudge was eaten by Eric/a, Tricia, Samantha, Victoria at the Big Tea Party, before the "Great Fall". Is the fudge gooey enough to help put Eric/a together again?

And Yes I am getting a bit silly.

RAMI

RAMI

Wow, Anastasia

Can things get any more complicated?

I am loving this story! And the comments are almost as fun as the story itself.

Ignore all the negative stuff, you've proven to be a master story teller. I can't wait
for the next chapter.

Hugs,
Carla Ann

So how much of a collection would it take to get AA

KristineRead's picture

to release chapter 21 sooner rather then later....

Dang Anastasia, I can't wait.... I can't, I can't....

Don't need another beta do you ;)

Oh well... guess I'll just have to find some way to wait... Bartender give me another round...

Hugs,

Kristy

Sk8rr Grrls and Eric/a

RAMI

Apparently, the skate park that Eric/a visited is the same one as in Sk8rr Grrls. Sorry, Eyden, but I do not remember the particulars of your story to confirm if that is correct.

The rest of this comment is based on that being true. If it is not, then whatever I say is not important, and do not read further.

It is likely that, as I have been calling it, Eric/a and his/her cohorts are about to have their great fall. A confrontation has just begun and how it will develop and how many pieces will have to be put back together again, we will know soon.

There has been mention of another High School that Eric, Eric/a, or Erika could attend as a way to solve or remedy the situation. Is this the H.S. that the Sk8rr Grrls attend? I do not remember if the heroine of that story had openly transioned. If she has, perhaps, Eric/a would be better off transferring and attending that school where Eric/a would have a sole mate.

I doubt the Sk8trr Grrls are attending Eric/a's school, because that story talks about cheer/rally teams and the characters on those teams are different.

Is there a secret colaboration going on between Edeyn and Anistasia?

Will we see cross over stories like the cops on Law & Order (the original) working with the cops on Law & Order SVU?

Will Eric/a and her pals get in a skate off with Sk8rr Grrls or better yet a cheer/rally competition.

What kind of web will be weaved?

RAMI

RAMI

I went back...

...when I noticed the park name. I was smiling just about my widest smile. ^_____________^

The Sk8tr Grrls attend Adams High, Erika and friends attend Washington. Both in the city of Constitution, Tennessee. Edeyn outlined the city in the most recent episode (#27, the beginning of Book IV). I hadn't made the connection until the park was named, because Adams and Washington are such common US school names. I mean, there's at least two Washinton elementary schools within 20 miles of me, and one Adams, and I >went< to a Jefferson middle. It's such a part of the National Mythos (R), it just kind of goes under the radar. I >am< happy to have the connection, even if the two stories never overlap more, though. It gives them more substance in their setting. :-) I also love both stories. :-D

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Town of Constitution

I read Edeyn's Sk8trr grrls a month or two ago, I can't remember seeing the town actually named there, but it's possible, so that's fine.

Interestingly, if you put the name Constitution into Google maps, it brings up a town with that name as part of the South Atlanta/East Atlanta city area, not far from where I285 and I675 meet. I do recall this story saying that the town is far enough south that it isn't particularly chilly yet, so it would work in that context. In any case, I was actually surprised to see the town being named in this post.

Busted

Shit might hit the fan tonight.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

now what

oh boy ...

DogSig.png