The Princess and the Plague: 49

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague
Part 49
By Anistasia Allread

“So what is Aunt Carrie like?” Erika asked her father as he pulled into the parking structure at the airport.

“I haven't seen her in a very long time.” he stated distracted by trying to find a parking space. “She was banished from my families gatherings.”

“Were you banished too?” Erika asked. “We don't go to them either.”

duckling.jpg

P&P 49

“Hey Erika.” Julian greeted. “You look nice today, what's the occasion?”

“Family pictures.” Erika flashed him a smile.

“Have you given any further thought to Swim team?” It would be great to see you on the team.

“I am concentrating on one thing at a time.” Erika shrugged. “I have my surgery this weekend. After that, I'll have to see how things go.”

“Cool. I hope it all goes well.” Julian waved and caught up with Stan down the hallway.

At lunch, Erika joined her friends at the table.

“Wishing for flats yet?” Samantha asked.

“No, not yet. We do a lot of sitting in class, so it isn't that bad.” Erika shrugged as she dug into her salad.

“Maybe it's because you made her wear heels most of the summer.” Victoria suggested to Samantha.

“You made her wear heels during the summer?” Taylor asked joining them.

“At camp.” Victoria explained. “Erika's never worn heels before this last summer so Samantha had her wear them at every opportunity.”

“They were wedged sandals.” Samantha defended, “Not stilettos like she's wearing today.”

“They aren't stilettos” Tricia corrected. She turned to Erika, “Of course, I could get you some stilettos, if you'd like.” She grinned big.”

“Maybe I could wear them on special occasions.” Erika flirted back.

“Are you going to have a pre-surgery party?” Krystal asked.

“A what?”

“A pre-surgery party.” Krystal restated.

“I have surgery the morning after Thanksgiving.” Erika informed them. “There really isn't much time for a party.”

“So tonight will be the last time I see you before you go under the knife?” Krystal looked horrified.

Erika nodded, “I guess so. It's not like I'm going to be gone for a month or something. I'd like you to visit in the hospital.” Erika took them all in a sweeping gaze around the table.

“Ooooh! I wonder if they'll let us have a party at the hospital.” Samantha perked up.

“I'll be in the Intensive Care Unit for the first day or two, but after that, they might.” Erika smiled.

“I was told that if you as, you can be put in the kids part of the hospital. They have video games and Wii there for the kids to play.” Victoria added.

“I think if I'm well enough to play Wii, then I'm well enough to go home.” Erika snickered.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Victoria grinned.

“So what's this I hear about you sleeping with the entire football team, Erika?” Greg heckled as he walked by.

Erika went white with fear and dread.

“With all of them except you, Greg.” Samantha called back. “You were too tiny to even find, even with the lights on.”

Erika cracked a smile and then joined all of the girls laughing at the expense of Greg.

“Lighten up, Erika.” Taylor told her. “You freeze up so easily.”

“It is something we've been working on all summer.” Victoria explained, “along with walking in heels.”

--o0o--

Erika smoothed her skirt as she slid into her mother's car.

“How was your day?” Mrs. Martin asked.

“Okay.” Erika shrugged.

“I forgot to warn you to take a pair of sneakers or flats for when your feet get sore and tired.”

“I do a lot of sitting in school.” Erika explained. “They don't hurt hardly at all.”

“Good, because we have some walking to do when we get to the mall.” Mrs. Martin pulled out of the school parking lot. “We've got to find you a better coat, and then get your hair and makeup done. We'll meet your father at the studio then after the pictures we'll get some dinner.”

“Whoa, is there time to do all of that?” Erika asked.

“You're with a professional shopper now.” her mother grinned.

“I don't know, Samantha is pretty darn good.” Erika cautioned.

A few minutes later, Erika followed her mother into Macy's.

“What you need is a dress coat.” her mother explained. So it needs to hit you about the knees, to protect your dresses and keep you warm. Wool is best. Most are black but I've read that the latest fashion trend for coats right now is red.”

“Where did you hear that?” Erika asked.

“From a fashion magazine and a show I watched on T.V. the other night.” her mother countered.

The two entered the racks upon racks of coats. “Grab three that you like. I'll do the same.” her mother instructed. “I'll meet you back by the dressing rooms.”

Half an hour later Erika and her mother walked out of Macy's. Erika had a red wool dress coat in a plastic bag, draped over her shoulder.

“I told you I was a professional.” Mrs. Martin smiled.

“I'd hate to see you and Samantha in a shopping contest.” Erika smirked.

Erika's mother took her to a salon where they brushed out her hair and curled it with a curling iron. After spraying it, the stylist then broke the curls open with her fingers and placed them perfectly before spraying the whole thing in place.

They then returned to Macy's where Erika was placed on a high stool and a woman in a white lab coat attacked her face with brushes of every shape size and texture.

Erika looked into the pro offered mirror and wondered who the pretty girl looking at her was.

“That's me?” Erika asked in awe.

“You are beautiful.” the makeup artist smiled. “You are so lucky, usually only guys have eyelashes as long and thick as yours.”

Erika blushed a thank you. She turned to her mother, “Do I look alright?” she asked.

“You look beautiful.” her mother smiled as she received the last bit of her makeup. She glanced at her watch, “We need to hurry. We have to meet your father at the studio.”

The artist put the last bit of gloss on her mother's lips and the two walked as quickly as they could to the car.

“Wow, you two look incredible.” Erika's father greeted as they entered the waiting room of the studio.

“Thank you.” They both smiled.

“Are you sure you want me in this picture? I think I might break the camera being next to such beauties.” her father stopped and looked at her funny. He then cocked his head and pursed his lips as he looked at her from a different angle.

“What?” Erika asked. “What is it?”

“Something isn't quite right.” her father continued to scrutinize her features.

“What?” Erika's heart started to pound as she looked for a mirror.

“Oh I know what it is.” her father's showed that he had come to a conclusion.

“What?” Erika demanded.

“You're missing something?”

Erika looked quizzically at her father. Her makeup was flawless, her hair in beautiful large waves and curls, her outfit was still clean and fresh looking despite having worn it to school. She didn't even have a snag in her nylons.

Erika looked from her legs back up to her dad to see him holding something out in his hand. “I think this will finish it off.” he smiled.

Erika caught her breath as she saw the diamond pendent hanging from a delicate gold chain, dangling from her father's hand.

“Is that?” She was breathless. “Is that what I think it is?” She looked from the pendant to her father then to her mother who smiled and then back to her father.

“Happy. . . . uh. . . . Happy Thanksgiving?” he smiled.

“Oh, Daddy, it's beautiful.” Erika held the diamond in her fingers to get a better look.

“Oh you're calling me daddy again?” he teased.

Erika threw her arms around her father's neck and gave him a big hug. “You'll always be my daddy. Thank you, Daddy.”

“Well, let's finish off your get up.” he stated after she released him. “Turn around.”

Erika turned her back to him and gently lifted her hair out of the way as her father draped the necklace around her neck and fastened it in back.

“Lets have a look see.”

Erika took a step forward and turned around to face her father. Tears welled in her eyes and her cheeks hurt from smiling.

“Hey now, You can't start crying now, we have pictures do take.” her mother grabbed a tissue and handed it to her.

Erika lightly dabbed at her eyes until she could see without seeing prisms and sparkles.

“Martin family?” a woman poked her head through a heavy black curtain.

“That's us.” her father greeted.

“Come on back.” she motioned.

Half an hour later, Erika was actually tired of smiling and had a bit of trouble seeing with all of the floaters from the flash hanging in her vision.

“Lets eat.” Mr. Martin announced as they left the studio. “What are you two hungry for?”

--o0o--

“So what is Aunt Carrie like?” Erika asked her father as he pulled into the parking structure at the airport.

“I haven't seen her in a very long time.” he stated distracted by trying to find a parking space. “She was banished from my families gatherings.”

“Were you banished too?” Erika asked. “We don't go to them either.”

“I choose not to go to them.” He pulled into a spot. He parked the car and turned to his daughter. “My family are a bunch of closed minded people who don't accept anyone who thinks different from themselves. They like to stay in their tiny little world with it's narrow little rules. I don't want to expose my family to that kind of people.”

“Is that why we never go to see your mom and dad and they always have to come to visit us?” Erika asked.

Her father nodded. “That way we can see them on our terms so that they don't pollute my family's thoughts.”

Erika got out of the car and smoothed down her skirt, and fastened her coat over her blouse.

“You wear skirts a lot.” her father commented.

“Is that wrong?” She blushed.

“No.” he shook his head. “Just making an observation.”

“Well.” She walked along side of him. Her heels clicked lightly and echoed in the parking structure, “At first is was to make sure everyone thought of me as a girl. But I like the way that they feel. They give me a freedom that you can't experience wearing pants. I also like how they feel around my legs.” she explained. “Longer loose skirts like this, lightly brush against my calf and shin as I walk where the shorter tighter skirts rub against my thighs in a way that feels. . . . well, it just feels right.”

“What about wearing hose and heels?” he asked as they entered the arrivals gate.

“Nylons are wonderful. They feel so. . . . well, nice. . . It's like they give you a feeling of security . . . It's hard to explain.”

“Mmmm.” her father listened to her.

“And as for the heels? Well, they are kind of a pain. Especially at first; they are kind of hard to get used to walking in. But they make your legs look good, force you to have better posture and they look very cute.” Erika blushed at the admittance.

“I'll have to take your word for it.” her father smiled.

“You could always try it sometime Daddy.” Erika couldn't believe what she was talking about with her father.

“I'd rather enjoy looking at women in skirts than wear them.” her dad chuckled. He looked from Erika to the security area behind Erika. “Here she comes.” he waved.

Erika turned to see a rather large woman waving back. She looks like a guy in a dress, Erika thought, suddenly scared of meeting this large woman. Oh my God, I don't want to live my life looking like a guy in a dress. Erika's heart pounded.

“Oh, John, it is so good to see you.” Aunt Carrie strolled forward in her large chunky shoes.

“Aunt Carrie.” Her dad opened his arms to her.

Erika watched as Aunt Carrie, towering over her father, wrapped him in a warm embrace.

“I have missed you so much.” Her dad hugged the woman back.

Erika took a deep breath and tried to calm her heart.

“Aunt Carrie, I'd like you meet my daughter, Erika.” her father released his Aunt and turned towards Erika.

“This is Erika?” her Aunt exclaimed. She looked Erika up and down and smiled. “You are even more beautiful than your father led me to believe.” Aunt Carrie stepped forward.

Erika looked up into the face of her aunt. A bit of stubble showed through her heavily applied makeup. Her gray, permed hair was thin and looked to be receding. Large jewelry adorning her neck and ears was a fairly decent attempt to camouflage her large features. Part of Erika wanted to turn and run away. Run home and hide in her room. Then her aunt's eyes met hers; met her gaze with so much love, There was something else In her eyes too. A kind of measurement. A look of please accept me, this is who I am.

Erika's heart ached with sadness, compassion and a sudden need to give this person not only acceptance, but love.

“Thank you for coming Aunt Carrie.” Erika wrapped her arms around her aunt and gave her a long tight hug. “Thank you.”

--o0o--

to be continued. . .

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a note from the author

It may not be spectacular, well written, or a break through in writting for this genre, but I think this episode is in the top 10 of my favorites of this story.

I hope you all are enjoying the infrequent posts. I'm still working on HaP

A.A.

Enjoying....

infrequent posts? How does one respond to that. (And, I'm one to talk, I know...) I'm enjoying the posts, but not their frequency. If that makes any sense. :-)

The last few lines. I quite understand the feelings you had Erika project onto Aunt C. That's one of my big fears - that I'll end up looking like a guy in a dress... And, as a result, embarrass my family that's being so supportive, and going so much for me. I hope you let Erika continue to more than accept her Aunt! She sounds like a person that needs it - finally getting a family!

Other bits, they add to the ongoing story. Thanks. Mom seems to be handling things MUCH better now. That's good to see as well.

Thanks,
Annette

It is beautiful, Anistasia

Erika meeting her aunt for the first time. Erika's fear and anxiety and then her understanding, acceptance and love. Simply beautiful.

SuZie

SuZie

A tale of two lines...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Two lines from this part really stand out for me.

"Oh my God, I don't want to live my life looking like a guy in a dress."

Oh yeah, I know that thought from those dark moments of insecurity, when no matter what everyone tells me about how I've changed now, I can still only see the person I was in the mirror.

And of course it contrasts so well with Erika's shopping experience and make over at the start of the story.

"Erika's heart ached with sadness, compassion and a sudden need to give this person not only acceptance, but love."

For me, that single line embodies the spirit about what is good about the P&P and Camp K. (and why I am still crossing my fingers for a happy ending at the end of this at times bumpy ride!)

This installment wasn't what I thought it would be and it was all the better for it. Excellent work.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Agreed, it got me

caught me off guard. For some its easy, especially those that start young but not everyone is so fortunate. They are every bit as entitled to live as their true selves as the rest. I admire their daily courage.

Who will be the best shopper?

Hello Miss A.A. ^____^ ;-D

I'm just guessing here. It looks like Aunt Carrie will learn a thing or two from her niece. Wow, a challenge who is the best mall shopper. Who will win? Will it be Samantha or mom?

The antagonists are lurking in the shadows. Are they dumb enough to figure it out? We'll have to wait and read.

Thank you for the next chapter. We'll wait patiently for the next chapter. Have a wonderful everyone.

Rachel

Another thought to my first thoughts

Hello AA!

Here is another thought about Aunt Carrie. She has tried to the best of her ability and money to do the transition. So, I can't knock that down for trying. But considering her age to be on par with daddy, she is overweight as most people do when they get older. She probably doesn't have the money to do the electrolysis and the SRS. She is getting by the best she can. Probably job offers are smaller, which tends what happens in the job gap between men and women. She probably never married and is living alone.

There are some other possibilities that caused Ericka to see a man dressed as a woman.

Thanks for another chapter AA. Have a wonderful week everyone.

Rachel

Spectacular ....

RAMI

Dear Anistasia:

You are being too modest. All of your chapters are well written! Most are fantastic! Many are SPECTACULAR!!! As for being in the top 10, I would agree that Erika's thoughts and actions n meeting Aunt Carrie both initially and finally probably, place this chapter in that exalted grouping.

For those who think mom is evil, she seems to have come around quite a bit in the chapters since she returned from visiting her mother. It would be unlikely that she would do a "Girly" shopping trip with Erika, if she did not accept her child for what that child appears to be. While she still may not like what is happening and still yearns for Eric and maybe deep down hopes that the brain surgery will cure Erika of more then one problem and lead to a return of Eric she is acting properly. Mom had to have known and agreed with Dad about the diamond pendant. That is not a mere gift to trifle with her child.

RAMI

RAMI

I've always found this story

I've always found this story captivating and fun to read.

This chapter brings out the guy in a dress thing.
Oddly enough, of all the TS ladies that I know (and I know lots being one myself), not one of them looks like a guy in a dress.
Sure, some look a little masculine and a bit 'lumpy', but they are all unmistakably women.

Transvestites are often less convincing, but TS girls learn quite quickly that being a woman is a very different thing from not being a man.

Even though you can recognise transitioned females, just as Erika dd, you learn to accept them with a loving hug and kind words.

Realism in thought is difficult to portray but you've managed well.

"There but for the Grace of God, go I" can be a very real sentiment.
Thanks for your efforts

Dear Anistasia,

You will have to explain Aunt Carrie. I'm not putting her down and I have met some rather large transwimyn. I also agree with jenchris; maybe I've trained myself, but I don't see men in dresses. Back to Aunt Carrie; she just made an airline flight (not a bus trip). Why doesn't she have money for electrolysis? I got the impression that she'd been Aunt Carrie for a long time, rather than just starting.

Thank you so much for these series; they are so great. I'm always worried about Erika being outed, beaten-up or transformed against her will by Mom and her god-squadders. Excellent drama!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

I am one of the fortunate ones

... which for the most part pass through the world basically unnoticed as being different. Yes, I did transition at age 23, which, of course, helped but of course not nearly as good as going through puberty, female.

However, I get a bit of survivor's guilt at times as being one of the 'lucky' ones. I think this will be very good for Erika for being willing to stand by a loved one, even if they are not perfect, and walk proudly with them. Most times passable Ts hesitate to walk with less than totally passable ones out of fear of also being read themselves by association. I think Erika will make me proud. I am also sure now that Erika will do everything in her power to take testosterone blockers as soon as she is able.

Kim

Wow Ani,

Aunt Carrie was bit of a surprise! But I'm sure her presence will be beneficial for all around, and I'm sure Erika will grow from the eperience.

Great job! I'm just in a rush to get past the surgery!

Hugs
Carla Ann

P&P-49

What an eye-opener for Erika! Now she sees in her Aunt Carrie what she might be, later on. Somehow, I can see them bonding and Aunt Carrie gaining strength from meeting her niece.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Aunt Carrie is not a surprise

... in the sense that she transitioned post-puberty. Apparently Erika's father's side of the family can create big men. Erika will not want to have any of it and is going to be passionate about avoiding it using T-blockers. I would be VERY upset if her mom tries to sabotage her T-blocker medication. Though, Aunt Carrie will be an object lesson for her mom and all those people who have advocated for her to try being a boy first before going full bore into being a girl. Aunt Carrie will of course help by providing a adult perspective of being a transwomen, as well as what NOT to do if one is TS.

I have had very tall and big transwomen in my support group. At least one I know of looks basically okay but stands out, no doubt. As usual, a tall body tends to produce a more resonant voice and she will have a more difficult struggle along that front.

T-blockers, 'nuff said.

Kim

Folks you must realize it was a differnt world for the TG in..

The English Teacher's picture

Aunt Carries youth. The help available now wasn’t then and it was rare that the male didn’t go through puberty. Female hormones were not readily accessible (by comparison) like they are today from doctors and they were not sympathetic or educated on HRT. Gender Diaspora was treated as a mental illness that in the 50's and the 60's could get you placed in an intuition for it. There are all kinds of horror stories associated with trying to "cure" some one of the Gender Diaspora. SRS didnt exist. If you had something wrong with your male equipment like cancer they cut out the cancer and it was up to you to live with it.

As always, so much to read, so little time and only one of me :)
The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Sweet Ending

terrynaut's picture

I love the end of this chapter. It's very, very good. All those emotions being conveyed by a look, and Erika not only picked up on them, she melted in her Aunt's embrace. It made me sniffle a little with happy tears.

Thanks very much for continuing this story.

- Terry

Surgery

I hope she doesn’t get outted at the hospital.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna