Complicit in a Lie Revisited Chapter 30

Printer-friendly version

Complicit In a Lie
Revisited Chapter 30

By Jamie Lee

Author's Note: When I first wrote Complicit In a Lie, I had no thoughts, or ideas, to write a sequel. But thanks to a few readers, who asked about a sequel, ideas formed that made writing this sequel possible. It is necessary to have read Complicit In a Lie to understand why Charles is now with Jane, who the boy arriving in Kingston is and how he's involved in Charles' Court case. And to understand where Mr. Corporate, George Strom, fits into this story. This story starts off after Charles says, "When do we start," in Complicit in a Lie. So if you haven't read Complicit In a Lie, the beginning of this story won't make any sense. Hint hint!

Chapter 30

Sherry had sat down in one of the three seats at the table near the front window of the study. Jane was still standing, looking out of that same window. "Jane, please sit down and talk to me. We've known each other for quite a while and have never kept anything from each other. Jane, P-L-E-A-S-E SIT down and talk to me. You're letting this mess eat you alive. I don't want to see a dear friend burn out before they know it's time to retire. So, Janie, SIT YOUR ASS DOWN IN THAT CHAIR. Sherry was now pointing to the chair across the table from her. She had learned during her years of practice, that it was sometimes necessary to fight fire with fire. Jane was a domineering woman, she had to be in order to get her girls to do what they were told. So, Sherry had reasoned, it was time to be a more domineering woman than Jane.

Jane laughed outright before turning to face Sherry. "The mouse that roared, I believe would be an apt description. Where did you learn to be so vocal?"

"Well, let's see… I remember that guy who kept pestering you and had a terrible time understanding when you told him to go away. Then, in a rather forceful voice, you told him to find a quiet corner and masticate his own excrement. We walked away from him then, but when he finally figured out what you told him to do, he tried to get physical with you. That's when he ended up on his knees clutching his jewels and you yelling at him, 'WHICH PART OF LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?' Of course, you had grabbed his hair and pulled his head back before you yelled that, but it was effective. He never bothered us again that night. I think it had more to do with getting his butt thrown out of the bar than what you told him."

Jane bent over, put her hands on the table, leaned as far as she could in Sherry's direction, and told her, "You breathe a word of that Daniels, and they won't ever find your body."

"Pfffttt… what? You're going to sick Fred and Bill on me? Little 'o me? Those two know which side of the street to walk on when I'm around, I kicked their butts enough times when we were growing up. You know darn well my brothers aren't going to do squat to me. So sit your ass down in that chair," and she pointed to the chair Jane was leaning over, "and quit avoiding talking to me. Or there might be an immediate public meeting to air your dirty laundry. To... E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E."

Jane's serious expression slid into a look of resignation, as she pulled out the chair and sat down. "You're one cruel bitch, Sherry Daniels, using blackmail to get your way. I hope your allergies act up and you start sneezing just as you have a bad case of diarrhea."

It took Sherry a few minutes to compose herself, as she started laughing over Jane's attempt at getting back at her for making Jane sit down. When she finally stopped laughing, she told Jane, "Flattery will get you nowhere, Thompson. You should know that quite well by this time. It didn't work before and it sure isn't going to work now." The atmosphere took on an authoritative tone when Sherry asked, "Why are you so bent to hell trying not to talk with me? We've always confided in each other when something was eating at us. Why start shutting me out now?"

Sherry watched as Jane's expressions changed with each thought she had. Finally, and seeing Jane's resignation face again, Jane told her, "Because I'm angry with myself. Okay? I've been taking my anger out on the girls. If Marie hadn't been there the one time I was so mad, I'd have reamed both girls new trous de cul (assholes.). Thing is," and her voice became softer, "they were just concerned about me and my welfare. And I almost made the biggest mistake I could have made by jumping down their throats. I had just learned from Jeb, Charles' father, that someone had started killing the kids who were involved in the shoplifting and still on the streets. I had to get away and chose to go riding. When I came out of my bedroom after changing my clothes, both girls were sitting on the couch with Marie, instead of being in the library working on their assignments. Marie saw my anger and told me not to take my anger out on the girls. They weren't the ones I was really angry at, but they were almost the ones I directed it towards."

Sherry reached across the table and took Jane's hands in hers. "Damit, Thompson! How many times do you have to be told not to try and become Charles Atlas? That statue shows him carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders… as a punishment. Why are you trying to punish yourself by trying to take on the weight of the world? I've no doubt Marie has told you as much. I've no doubt she's told you to concentrate on what you two do here at Seasons House, what you're both good at doing. Jane, my beloved friend, I've seen people go completely insane when they try to do what you're doing. They think they have to do it all, until they lose themselves and their minds. And no amount of talking will convince them otherwise. They simply refuse to believe they don't have to take the weight of the world on their shoulders. Jane, look at me." Sherry squeezed Jane's hands, then told her again, "Look at me, Jane." When Jane raised her head to look at Sherry, Sherry went on with, "I know you've walked a mental tightrope most of your adult life. I know it stems from the care and concern you have for young lives. Because of that care and concern, and I suspect love, you are damn good at guiding the boys who come here back on the path each should be walking. But you can't take on something you aren't suited to take on. Yes, I know you could get Fred and Bill to find and take care of those at the top of this mess, but what would that make you then? Both are eternally grateful for what you did for them when they were here in their early teens. They wouldn't listen to me when I told them where they were headed because of the things they were doing. But you and Marie turned them around. You two forced them to examine their lives by the way you made them live while they were here. Now, if you put them in women's clothing, they both would be butt ugly. I saw the pictures of them while they were here, and they both were really cute. You did that Jane Thompson. You and Marie. Let those trained in sniffing out the crap do their jobs, and you do yours. And Jane, thank you for giving me my brothers back."

Jane had tears running down her cheeks. She remembered the two men and their times with her. She wanted to slap the shirt out of Fred the first day he was with her; Bill was almost as bad but not slapping bad. But deep down, both boys were honorable, and even though they whined and complained, they did what she told them to do and eventually saw what she was trying to instill in them. "But they're killing kids, Sherry. How can anyone not want to stop it any way they can? That hurts worse than having Charles or Toby here, or those trous de cul (assholes) at their schools holding them back."

"Sweetheart, I'm not saying don't care about what you know is taking place. Only a callus person wouldn't care. I once had a client whose partner was beating the hell out of her; she eventually left him. I saw the pictures the hospital took of her injuries. I wanted to find that bastard and give to him what he gave to his girlfriend, but knew if I did, I'd be in the wrong and likely to be arrested. I had to concentrate on what was right and what was wrong, and for me to go after that guy would have been wrong. The judge gave him six months the first time, for my client. But he got life when he beat his next girlfriend to death. And why did he beat her? She spilled his beer when she was bringing it to him and he had to teach her a lesson. He went too far and will now spend the rest of his life behind bars. I knew a few guys inside and thought to put out the word to them. But again, it wasn't the right thing for me to do. I'd make me no better than that piece of crap. Can you see what I'm telling you, Jane? Be concerned when something bad happens, that's how a caring person should feel. But recognize your skills aren't up to the task of personally taking care of the problem. Recognize there are those who've dedicated their lives to that type of work, just as you've dedicated your life to helping young boys."

"But it hurts so bad knowing it's happening, Sherry."

"I know, sweetheart. I've been there many times over the years while helping others. The hurt shows how much we honestly care about it, Jane. That we aren't uncaring monsters. And Jane, we aren't alone in this. You talk to anyone working on this case and you'll find they are hurting too. You'll also find they have their own ideas about what should happen to those killing those kids. I've got a feeling it has to do with a flashlight, a map, and a shovel. With plenty of open country, the bodies of those people might never be found. What's funny, or sad, depending on how you look at it, there are a lot of people who'd agree with what they'd want to do. But they won't because it isn't the right thing for them to do, just like you and me."

There was silence in the study for some time before Jane said, "Thank you for all of that, Sherry. I guess I needed to just sit and listen to someone else for a change. You're right in that Marie has told me almost everything you've said. I guess I needed someone outside of this house telling me the same thing. I better go and make sure the house hasn't fallen apart."

Jane tried to pull her hands back, but Sherry held them firmly. "Jane. After you make sure the house hasn't fallen apart, go ride. Take your mare out and listen to what this world has to tell you. I understand you were taken out for a ride once before; very commendable of those two girls. Go again. And listen, really listen to all the sounds you hear. See what your eyes are showing you. Realize even out in the world, those things in the world only take care of what they're equipped to deal with. Go on… go ride, my dear sweet sister." While they still held hands, as awkward as it was, they both stood up, walked to the end of the table, and embraced.

"I love you, Sherry."

"I love you too, Janie. Now go."

Jane left the study door open as she left the study. As she walked through the living room towards the library, she saw Toby sitting on the couch. "Did you take your section test, Toby?"

Jane waited a moment as she watched Toby slowly stand up; he winched a few times during the movement. "Yes, Aunt Jane. I finished it about ten minutes ago."

"And?" Jane prompted.

Jane could see Toby was trying to answer her question without trying to brag about his score. "Susan said I scored a 100, Aunt Jane. I'm not trying to sound pompous about the score, but I am proud of the results. My first AP test and I scored a 100 on it."

Jane watched as Toby's whole face lit up as he talked about his first AP test. "You should be proud of your accomplishment, Toby. Just remember there's a huge difference between being proud and prideful. The latter makes you arrogant. I think Sherry is ready for you now, you best go in."

"Yes, Aunt Jane. And thank you very much for the opportunity."

Jane stood aside so Toby could walk directly to the study without making any detours around her. While he kept a brave facade, she could tell he was still experiencing pain as he walked. After Toby closed the study door, Jane continued to the library, where she knocked on the door before entering. After closing the door behind her, Jane turned and was pleasantly surprised when she heard, "Bonjour, tante Jane. C'est agréable de te revoir (Hello, Aunt Jane. It's nice to see you again,)," from Francis.

She squinted her eyes as she looked at Susan and Charlotte, both had their hands conspicuously over their mouths. Then looking at Charlotte, she said, "Alors, comment se passent tes cours, Francis (So, how are your classes going, Francis?)?"

Without missing a beat, Francis replied with, "J'ai terminé mon document de recherche, il est sur la table de la salle à manger. En ce moment, nous étudions le français. Comment vais-je, tante Jane (I finished my research paper, it's on the dining room table. At the moment we are studying French. How am I doing, Aunt Jane?)?"

Jane's questioning look to Susan was asking, 'What the heck.'

The look Susan returned was saying, 'Impressive, isn't she.'

"You are doing remarkably well, Francis. Take care with your pronunciation, though. You sometimes don't quite accentuate a word correctly, but that will come with more practice. Vous êtes un jeune homme remarquable ( Vous êtes un jeune homme remarquable,), Frank."

"Merci, tante Jane. Cela signifie beaucoup pour moi (Thank you, Aunt Jane. It means a lot to me.)."

"Girls, Susan, I need to go riding. Marie will look after things while I'm out. Girls, you both know there will be consequences if you fail to do as she tells you."

Both girls answered in the affirmative with, "Yes, Aunt Jane," before Jane turned and walked back to the library door, opened it, and left the library. Closing the door behind her. She turned left and walked the short distance to her bedroom, where a few minutes later she came back out dressed in her riding clothing. She didn't see Marie in the living room when she reached it, so walked to and entered the kitchen. Again, she didn't find Marie. Deciding Marie must be up in her bedroom, Jane left the kitchen and walked down the hallway leading to the backdoor of the house. She thought it strange Marie wouldn't be available as she opened the backdoor, stepped onto the small porch, closed the door, and started the short walk to the stable. As she rounded the corner of the opening to the stable, Jane was taken aback as she saw Marie standing there holding the reins of Jane's mare. The mare was saddled and ready for Jane to ride. "How did you know?" She asked Marie as she slowly walked through the stable and out the other end.

Marie shrugged her shoulders before saying, "A little bird told me. Now come on. This one," and she nodded towards the mare, "is more than willing to be ridden. And you're not to come back until you've solved yourself. Oui?"

Her throat tight, Jane walked up to her dear friend, hugged her tightly, then releasing her, mounted the mare, and gave her horse its head. Marie stood and watched as the mare took Jane out towards the pond. "God please help that beautiful woman," she whispered. "She needs all the help she can get right now."

As the mare walked on, Jane's thoughts went back to her time at the girl's school. Her time as the headmistress and the disagreements that caused her to leave and start Seasons House. She thought about each boy who'd been sent to Seasons House and what it took her and Marie to finally reach this or that boy. She also remembered the ones who just went through the motions but have helped Seasons House over the years when help was needed. She thought back to the loss of a friend who wanted a daughter instead of a son, who had forged Court papers to have him sent to Seasons House. Those thoughts ran quickly by until they reached the present, and the boys now with her. Anger flared when she thought of the vow she made after it was discovered what Kenneth's mother had done to have him sent to Seasons House. And here she was with two boys who had no business being at Seasons House. Two boys who had been stifled at their respective high schools because of the incompetents who ran them. Two boys, like Kenneth, who had no business being at Seasons House. Unlike Kenneth, though, both boys were being protected while at Seasons House. Charles was here to keep him out of possibly being tried in Federal Court. Toby, who caused Charles to be tangled in the whole mess, was involved in this mess but not of his own volition. The scars on his body showed the vicious efforts used to force him into becoming involved. He chose shoplifting as a means of self-preservation in an attempt to stay the beatings he had endured. But the animals had done worse to him after he'd been arrested at Taylor's department store for shoplifting. And now… and now they'd quadrupled their efforts by killing those kids still on the streets who'd been part of a threesome shoplifting teams. All in an attempt to save their own skins.

Sherry had told Jane to go riding. To listen to the world and all that was in it, and not come back until she had sorted herself out. But from the minute Jane gave the mare its head at the stable, she'd become so lost in her thoughts she'd neither seen nor heard anything during the ride. It wasn't until she felt a sharp pain in her left leg did she emerge from the thought-inducing trance she'd been in. In fact, Jane didn't even realize the mare had stopped walking and was now looking at her with its left eye. "What the hell?" Were Jane's first words as she reached down to rub a spot on her lower left leg. She looked into the mare's left eye, an eye looking directly at her, and asked, "Did you just hit me?" Her voice was sharp, laced with anger, as was the expression on her face. "Why the hell did you hit me?"

Felines growl. Canines growl. Even Homo Sapiens growl, at times, but horses aren't known for growling. Until now. Jane thought she'd heard every sound a horse could make during her time having horses at Seasons House. Jane could only interpret the sound the mare was now making as a growl, and leaned forward until she was almost touching the mere's left eye before asking, "Are you trying to growl at me?" The mare turned its head forward and snorted as it threw its head up and down before turning its head back to look at Jane. "Why the hell are you growl… " but she never finished what she was going to say. She was suddenly struck by a familiar feeling--they weren't moving. The mare had stopped walking. Jane looked down at the ground, then abruptly sat up, looking all around her before she realized where they were. They were at the pond and they weren't alone. She closed her eyes, dropped her head, and said out loud, "Oh, God. I've done it again." She lifted her head and looked into the mare's left eye, saying, "I took my anger out on you. You were only concerned for me." The snort wasn't as pronounced as it had been at first, and neither was the head nodding. Jane dismounted the mare, walked around in front of her, wrapped her arms around the mere's neck, and told her, "I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." The mare laid its head on Jane's shoulder, its way of telling Jane it was okay, things would be okay. She whinnied softly, causing Jane to let go of her neck and look at her. The mare threw its head to the right, towards the bench not more than five feet from them. It wasn't until Jane looked towards the bench that she caught sight of not only the ducks, frogs, and deer sitting near the bench, but the mated skunks, the raccoon, and the two porcupines. All were waiting patiently for her to sit down on the bench. Jane rubbed the big mare's muzzle before walking slowly over to the bench and sitting down. She looked around at all the animals around her, asking, "So… are all of you going to tell me the same as others have told me? How I'm trying to take on the weight of the world on my shoulders, instead of letting go and allowing others to do what they do best?" All remained silent; the mare had wandered off to graze. Jane looked at the small herd of deer to her right. Then down at the mated pair of skunks sitting within a hand’s reach to her left. Then at the frogs and ducks sitting at the pond side of the path into the forest. And the two porcupines sitting almost on top of her feet. As if on queue, the wind started blowing, bringing with it the scents of the world.

It suddenly dawned on Jane how close the creatures were to her now. When she and the girls were last here, when the girls forced her to ride, the frogs had sat at the edge of the pond, the ducks just in front of the frogs, the mated skunks further to their left, and the small herd of the deer further to their left. Even the porcupines stood further away from them. Now, it's as though they wanted to be as close to her as they could be without actually touching her. Then it hit her, as though she'd been slapped in the face. They were hugging her in their own ways. They were trying to comfort her as the others were comforting her. The subtle scent of Lilacs, mixed with the scent of grasses, was now being brought to her by the wind. She inhaled the mixed scents deeply, remembering calmer times, times when the weight of the world was shared by many others. That thought stayed with her, sharing the weight of the world.

A massive ripple broke the calm surface of the pond, causing Jane to look in that direction. It continued to expand until it covered the majority of the pond's surface before dissipating. As she continued watching the pond, those who caused the ripple risked beaching themselves as they came as close to the pond's edge as possible, while bobbing up and down in the water. Jane analyzed what she'd just witnessed, looking at the fish still bobbing up and down in the water, each causing a small ripple around themselves. She put her right arm across her chest as she brought her left elbow down on her right forearm. The fingers of her left hand then covered her mouth, moved around her mouth, pressing down on her upper lip as she continued analyzing the animal's positions and now what the fish had just done.

There was a sudden weight on her shoulder, a snort causing her left ear to ring. She turned and tilted her head to look up at the mare. "So, you think I understand what all of you are trying to tell me? Or are you ready to go home?" Her questions resulted in a soft snort and a head shake, meaning yes to the first question and no to her last question. As Jane gently rubbed the mare's muzzle, she told the mare, "I will tell you, my friend, I finally do understand what all of you are telling me." She looked at each group before her, saying to them, "What all of you are telling me. Let those around me be near me, be open to them. Keep my central calmness and let the ripples wash over me. Don't become the ripples. Thank you, my friends, all of you seem to know what I need and when I need it." She'd been rubbing the mare's muzzle as she spoke, now asking her, "Shall we go home now?" The mare lifted its head off Jane's shoulder, took several steps backward before whinning and throwing its head up and down. Jane watched as the fish vanished. Followed by the ducks and frogs. The small herd of deer had already stood, turned, and were slowly walking towards the forest with the porcupines and the mated skunks on their heels. Even the wind calmed into a light breeze, though the fragrances remained. Jane rose from the bench, walked over to the mare, hugged her before mounting her back and turning her towards home. This time, as the mare had been given its head, Jane was aware of her surroundings. She watched as Red Wing Blackbirds danced lightly on tall blades of grass. She saw a covey of Quail sprint across their path, each in a hurry to bury itself in another mass of tall grass. She felt alive again, not burdened by that which she could not do anything about. She knew her mission in this world, and she was damn good at it. She would continue her work, showing wayward boys another way to behave and live. And she would let those with the necessary skills do what they did best.

tbc
Chapter 31

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos