Complicit in a Lie Revisited Chapter 27

Printer-friendly version

Complicit In a Lie
Revisited Chapter 27

By Jamie Lee

Author's Note: When I first wrote Complicit In a Lie, I had no thoughts, or ideas, to write a sequel. But thanks to a few readers, who asked about a sequel, ideas formed that made writing this sequel possible. It is necessary to have read Complicit In a Lie to understand why Charles is now with Jane, who the boy arriving in Kingston is and how he's involved in Charles' Court case. And to understand where Mr. Corporate, George Strom, fits into this story. This story starts off after Charles says, "When do we start," in Complicit in a Lie. So if you haven't read Complicit In a Lie, the beginning of this story won't make any sense. Hint hint!

Chapter 27

Susan was still marveling at Charlotte's last question, realizing she was both Charles and Charlotte. 'Just how intelligent is this child?' Susan thought to herself. She knew from experience that very few people would admit to being feminine and masculine at the same time. Most believed you're either feminine or masculine, not both. Men can't see the acts of love, caring, kindness, and mercy as being considered feminine. And yet, men demonstrate these traits daily in some way. How could Charles come to such a conclusion unless being Charlotte has shown him that fact?

Charlotte turned back to look out of the window, tears silently making their way down her cheeks. "Who will I be when this is all over, Susan? How can I be who I was before all of this happened? How do I use these experiences to reclaim my life? Jane, Marie, you, and Carolyn, have told me I know how to treat other people and girls, so what use are all these experiences if I already possess that ability? Am I being selfish, self-centered, only thinking of myself? I haven't really thought about what my parents must be going through, or my friends since I've been here. Is that wrong of me? Why haven't I thought of those people?" With a sudden movement, Charlotte turned and engulfed Susan in a hug, laying her head on Susan's shoulder and crying. Taken aback, somewhat, Susan held the girl, wondering how she was going to answer Charlotte's questions.

Still holding Charlotte, Susan guided them to the couch, where she encouraged Charlotte to sit down next to Toby. She then sat next to Charlotte, putting her arm around Charlotte's shoulder and pulling her to her. She didn't start right off answering Charlotte's questions, but started with Francis. "Francis, what have you learned by being here? You were sent here because you ran away from your Aunt Agnus too many times, and Judge Ruth believed here was better suited for you than juvenile detention. What have you learned?"

Having looked up at hearing her ‘girl’ name, Francis listened to Susan's comment and her question. A smile played over her face as she said, "That Sandy's a bitch, and is really hurting. She's been hurt in the past but refuses to deal with it. So, she takes it out on the boys who come to Jane's home. In a way, she abuses us much like she was abused. Oh, I know she does some of it to keep us in line, makes us think she'll out us. But deep down, she's a mess and needs some help."

Charlotte took her head off Susan's shoulder, looked at Toby, who was looking at her, then the two looked at Francis, as was Susan, after what Francis said. "Where in the world did all that come from, Francis?" Toby asked, still looking at her.

Blank-faced, more of a 'duh' look on her face, Francis looked at the three in turn, shrugging her shoulders, replying, "It's easy to see if you know the signs. My Aunt Agnus is like her, I think that's why she didn't want me with her."

"That time she tried to grab me, and I pushed her wrist backward, then discovered she had a bone out of place, she did say she'd had a bad experience with a former boyfriend. Maybe that's why she loves to give it to the boys from Jane's school," Charlotte supplied.

Toby joined in with, "It would make sense. If she has undiagnosed trauma she isn't dealing with, it would be outwardly visible as aggression towards the gender that caused the trauma."

Susan's and Charlotte's gazes now turned toward Toby. "How did you come up with that reasoning, Toby?" Susan asked, watching Toby's face move into the blank look, the 'duh' range, before he answered.

Toby chuckled, then told Susan, "I've been studying psychology when I wasn't getting the hell beat out of me. I want to become a psychologist if it's possible after what I've done. Anyway… I hope I can." He slowly dropped his head, only to have Charlotte reach over and put an arm around his shoulders. He leaned into her and let the tears fall freely, not caring who saw him cry.

As Susan watched, Francis got out of her seat at the table and walked over to the couch, sitting down on the other side of Toby. She then put an arm around his shoulders and leaned into him, telling him, "Keep that hope of becoming what you want. Right now it's just a struggle for you, but as with your beatings, it has to end sometime. A character on a TV program told a colleague, 'If you’re in hell, keep walking.' Those wounds will heal, plastic surgeons might be able to help with all of the physical scars, and those who forced you to work for them by beating you won't be around forever to do it again. I also have a feeling once your dad finds out about all of this, things will drastically change. And if what you said about your dad is true, maybe your brother would like to live on another planet, or get life in prison. Just don't lose the hope you have. It's the one thing you can keep for yourself."

Three heads turned to look at Francis. Toby knuckled his eyes before asking, "Are you sure you aren't going to be a psychologist? You sound like some of those my Aunt Terri had me talk with. You really should consider it."

Francis again shrugged her shoulders, something that would have brought the wrath of Jane down on her. "I don't really know what I want to do after high school, providing I make it through high school without falling asleep too often. There are a lot of AP classes I'd like to take, but they tell me my grades are too low. My grades are too low because most of the classes I have are boring, or I'm just bored sitting through them. I don't know which one it is."

As the three watched, Francis left the couch and returned to her seat at the table, picking up the pencil she was using and continuing with the evaluation sheets. Susan was dumbfounded by everything Francis had said. Another student of public education, bored with their classes, and not challenged by them. Susan's school monster wanted to say something to her, but as Jane did to her monster, Susan told it to shut the hell up.

The three stayed seated on the couch, Susan's arm around Charlotte, Charlotte's arm around Toby, and Toby leaning into Charlotte. They watched as an unconcerned Francis worked on her current paper, before turning it over to her left, setting the pencil down, and declaring, "Finished. Now what?"

Jane did go to the study, and did have paperwork to do, but had been watching the library ever since Susan returned to check on her pupils. She shut off the monitor, closed and locked the cabinet door, then sat back in her chair to ponder everything the three kids said and asked. Charlotte's question about Charlotte and Charles being there together amazed her the most. Her thoughts were now in full gear, asking 'How long has Charlotte realized she's both feminine and masculine? Does she realize many would chastise her for such a belief? Does she understand many only see themselves as feminine or masculine, not both? Could it be the time she's spent being Charlotte the reason she sees herself as both feminine and masculine? Or her experiences at the Mall?' She realized Charlotte's other questions may carry more validity than many of her previous questions, as marvelous as they were. 'Why does that girl think she's being self-centered, selfish, only thinking of herself after everyone she's helped? No one who helped as she's helped others would ever be thought of as being self-centered, selfish, or only thinking of themselves. She's even helping the boy who actually put her here with me.' Jane shifted through the other questions Charlotte asked, namely getting back to her old life. 'Won't she be more sensitive to the needs of girls? Won't she step up more often to stop the vary things she experienced at the Mall? What will she say when asked where she's been and what it was like? Even though Sherry will cover these questions and more, Charles will need additional counseling after leaving here.' Never before had she felt so tired and frustrated at the same time. Never before had her monster threatened to escape her because of everything that had been done to two of her wards. Never before had she needed every bit of her self-will to keep it from escaping, possibly ending everything she and Marie did here if it did.

Jane had leaned forward in her chair, putting her elbows on her desk then her head in her hands. She was trying to clear her mind, not forgetting what she'd seen and heard from the library feed, but putting it into perspective and store in her mind. She was deep in concentration and didn't hear the study door softly open or close in the same manner. She never heard the soft footsteps that came to and around the desk. It took several moments until she felt the arm that was around her shoulders, holding her. She slowly looked up to see Marie standing next to her, a worried look on her face. "This time you put too much on your shoulders, chère," Marie softly told her. "I know how you are feeling, the worries you carry, wondering if we've done all we can or should be doing. Mon amour (My love,), you can't let your abundant concern for these kid's lives cause you to forget we can only do what we can do here, at Seasons House. If we do any more than that, outside of what we do best, we jeopardize our work here. Give Sherry a chance with Charlotte's questions. Don't try to deal with them yourself. Let those dealing with the cause of this mess do what they do best. Just as I believe Charlotte's question about being here is true, so do I believe in those who'll eventually find the truth and put those responsible where they belong. Why don't you see how things are progressing in the library? It's almost time for our supper, ask Susan if she can stay." Marie bent down and kissed the top of Jane's head, before leaving the study. Jane sat there a few more minutes, thinking about all Marie had said. Seeing the truth in Marie's words, she nodded to herself before pushing the chair back, standing and leaving the study.

Jane's usual walk when needing to check on the girls, was one of a person on a mission, brisk, but short of running. This time, her walk from the study to the library was contemplative, due to her still mulling over the questions Charlotte had asked. Reaching the library door, she knocked, then entered, closing the door behind her after entering the library. As happened before, when someone knocked on the library door, every eye in the room would focus on the library door, waiting to see who'd enter the library. Jane's back was to the door, as she surveyed everyone there. "Girls, Toby, it's close to our evening meal. Girls, you know what needs to be done in preparing for the meal. Toby, if you're feeling better, I'd like you to help where you can. But don't over-tax yourself, we don't need to return you to the hospital for more treatment."

Toby had only been with Jane a few days, but knew, as the girls knew, when Jane stopped talking after giving orders, it was time to leave. He also knew the proper protocol for leaving her presence, and after the girls helped him off the couch, he, like the girls, asked to be excused. Being granted permission to leave, Jane waited until Francis closed the library door behind her before asking Susan, "What do you think of our kids? Francis is becoming something of a surprise with her observations and her thoughts. Charlotte and Toby are being held back, they need a free rein to learn." She walked over to the couch and sat down with a heavy sigh. Looking up to the ceiling she said with a sigh, "It pains me so to see kids like those treated as they've been treated. I would so like to…" but she let the rest of her words trail off.

Susan reached over and patted Jane's left thigh, saying, "You need to stop trying to carry all of this on your own shoulders. Stop worrying about what you can't do anything about. Those dealing with this mess are going to get it cleaned up in time. Killing kids, in mass, is not something that will cause them to drag their feet. With kids of their own, you may not be the only one who wants to do something drastic. Now, you asked what I thought of your kids. I think there are three sharp minds being put through remedial learning; they are thirsty to learn. Charlotte and Toby have studied on their own and are lightyears ahead of anyone in their respective classes. Francis hides her intelligence, probably because of her Aunt Agnus. She likely belittled her when that intelligence emerged, causing Francis to shrink back. It's also possible she was harassed at school when she showed her intelligence, making her feel as though she was having to deal with her Aunt. All three need to be taken out of public education and put into a private school, but not just any private school. They need to attend a private school that employs staff who can recognize intelligence and treat it as it should be treated. Let me gather their papers and we can look at them together."

Getting up from the couch, Susan went to the table and picked up both Francis' and Charlotte's papers, before returning to the couch and sitting down. She asked Jane to hand her Toby's papers and together they looked at each set of papers; Francis' papers were examined first. Susan knew the expected answers to each question, so simply circled the number of the question with a regular pencil if the answer was incorrect. She put a 'star' next to the question without an answer, showing her the areas where knowledge was lacking. When the last of Francis' papers had been examined, and Jane saw the results, Jane told Susan, "Those bloody fools. No wonder Francis is bored with school. She already knows the material and isn't being challenged. I see my decision was correct having her attend your classes, she's more than ready." Then in a softer voice, she said, "Had I known she was hiding this much intelligence, I would have called you sooner."

"Jane Thompson, will you STOP with the self recriminations. Given Francis' history, you couldn't know what she was hiding. Hell, to her, you were her Aunt Agnus again. Plus, how you have to maintain control of those boys, she was scared spitless to show you anything that might get her punished or outed. Maybe with the next boy sent to you, I should come and give them this evaluation so you know where they stand acedemically. That way, I can help you plan a course of study that fits their needs."

"Turning back to those three, I'll give you my educated experienced opinion of them. Based on what I've seen just today, those three would make excellent psychologists or psychiatrists. All three have an insightful ability to see and interpret what they see, and are accurate in their interpretations. I believe Toby wants that direction, but is worried because of the things he's done. Well, actually, forced to do; being beaten can make a person do what they don't want to do, after all. That alone, or along with all of the scars he bears, may be enough to have all charges dropped. Maybe you can consult someone who can give you a definitive answer. Let's look at his and Charlotte's papers."

As Jane watched, Susan went over Toby's papers, 'hmm' and 'uh huh'ing' as she turned paper after paper. "He's as I expected, grounded in the basics, actually doing Senior year work. I had to laugh when he called me a hard woman because of the question on particle physics. He's not far from that level of knowledge. It really galls me to see this kind of work and know there are Arschlöcher (assholes) who keep these kids back. All to keep from interrupting their precious social programs. Those peabrains have no concept of education, or how to administer it. What I'd like to do to some of them."

It was Jane's turn to place a hand on Susan's knee and remind her, "Seems all of us have something we'd like to do to someone, but can't. As I've been reminded a few times, only do what you can do at the time. It's saner that way."

Jane saying that, caused Susan to chuckle, and reply, "Yeah… I know. But I get so infuriated seeing minds like those three going to waste because of Arschlöcher (assholes) who only care about social structures. The kids in those schools don't need the administration to take care of the social structure of the school, the kids manage it quite nicely on their own. Sometimes it works well, other times not so much. School administration should only be concentrating on making sure every kid in the school has a quality education that is appropriate for each student. If you have kids who need AP courses, then by God get them into AP courses." Susan was quiet for a moment, then chuckled, saying, "Oh, dear. I've done it again, haven't I?" She looked at Jane, who'd been watching her, and saw her nodding her head. "How do you do it, Jane? How do you keep it together when you learn how the boys who are sent to you have been treated? Or in my case, seeing minds like these," and she slapped the papers she was holding, "being held back when they should be freed to learn."

Jane smiled at Susan and answered her question by saying, "I have Marie. When I start to stray, when I want to charge off and give some parent or guardian a taste of their own medicine, or have someone take care of something, she reminds me we can only do what we do best right here at Seasons House. Dare I say you and I aren't alone in your feelings of how kids are treated by their parents or guardians, or the schools they attend? Yes, there are agencies whose job it is to make sure kids are not mistreated. But how overworked can you overwork people before they've had enough and leave the profession? Or parents who care, fighting tooth and nail with school boards who don't care what parents say? Or administrators who are threatened with their jobs if they don't do what this or that person above them tells them to do. Those who stand up to the uncaring, often find themselves out of a job. And too many don't care enough to throw the rotten apples out of office when election time arrives. Again, as I've been reminded time and again, we can only do what we can do where we are at the time. You are an excellent teacher, Susan, I've seen the results you achieve. Continue being that excellent teacher in the realm you're in. Fight when you can, but don't lose sight of your main goal, enriching the minds of the young. Marie and I will straighten out that crooked path they're on and you fill their minds with knowledge so they continue walking the straight path."

After finishing with Toby's papers, Susan looked over Chralotte's papers, finding much the same with her answers to the questions. Both teens had sharp minds that were being held back by bureaucracy's useless programs. Keeping both from reaching their full, wanted, potential. Inhibiting both teens from learning at a speed they both could learn and advance. This time, instead of Susan voicing her frustration, she simply shook her head in disgust at the schools Toby, Charlotte, and Francis attended. Those schools had diamonds in their mists and were too blind to realize it.

Jane watched as Susan started crumpling the edges of the one paper of Charlotte's she was holding. She laid a hand on Susan's arm and said in a soft voice, "Perhaps it's time for you to take a break so you can calm down. You're about to reformat that paper you're holding."

Susan looked down at the paper she was holding and saw it was about to become a paper hand fan, with not too neatly folded creases. She laughed before saying, "I think you're right, Jane. I need a break and to calm down. But sometimes… " and she raised her left hand in a fist and shook it.

Jane nodded her head in understanding, before saying, "Come on, let's go eat our supper." Saying that Jane uncrossed her legs and stood up, standing back a bit to allow Susan to stand. After setting Charlotte's papers aside, Susan uncrossed her legs, stood up and the two women walked to the library door. Susan opened the door and followed Jane out of the library, closing the door behind her. As she sniffed the air, something smelled wonderful. Walking beside Susan, Jane took in a deep charge of the wonderful aroma before saying, "I do believe our Charlotte has once again made lasagna, possibly because you're here. She was taught to cook by an Uncle, who is a chef. I haven't learned what he taught her to add to the lasagna, but it is the best I've ever tasted."

The two women found Toby standing at the dinner table. He slowly walked around to the chair Jane used, pulled it out, and waited until she seated herself before helping her to push the chair in. When Jane indicated the chair Susan would use, he again slowly made his way there, pulled out the chair, and helped Susan push her chair in towards the table; both women thanked him. Then the parade of gastronomic delights started. Charlotte was in the lead with a large bowl of mixed salad. Francis followed with a large plate of garlic bread. And bringing up the end of the parade, was Marie, carrying an even larger casserole dish than before, brimming with lasagna. After everything was placed on the table, the girls went and stood behind their chairs. Toby, who'd been standing behind Marie's chair, helped seat her before slowly making his way to his chair. Once all three teens were at their places, they all sat in unison. Not unusual to Jane, Marie, and the girls, but new to Susan, she watched as Toby bowed his head for a moment before looking back up. Susan knew right away Toby had bowed his head to give thanks for the food he was about to eat. That one act increased her admiration for the boy. A boy who was abused beyond belief, but who hadn't lost the dignity and the humanity he'd been taught by someone.

The lasagna had already been cut into nice big squares, with plenty left in the dish after six squares had been placed on six different plates. As it turned out, the only thing that would take place in the kitchen that night, was to wash dishes and clean the kitchen. There were no leftovers to deal with this time.

Jane started her usual educational round robbin, as they ate, by reminding Charlotte and Francis they both had research papers due and were to work on them after the kitchen had been cleaned. Then she questioned the teens about the evaluation papers they had worked on. It became a can of worms she hadn't expected to open. "Tell me, girls, and Toby. What opinions do you have of the evaluation papers you worked through? Were you surprised by anything, or learn anything about yourselves?"

Toby and Charlotte had each just put a fork of lasagna into their mouths, so couldn't answer Jane's questions right away. But Francis was just about to fork another piece of her lasagna and sat her fork on her plate before the three women saw a thoughtful look appear on her face. "Well, Aunt Jane," and she almost shrugged her shoulders. "I don't have anything to compare them to, so I guess they were okay. There were more questions I could answer than I couldn't answer, and that kind of surprised me. I think I couldn't answer some of the questions because, well, I've never had that material before. It isn't that I didn't want to learn the material, I wasn't allowed to learn it. They told me I had to stay in the classes I was in. I guess maybe that's why school became boring or I became bored with school. I wish they'd have let me take those other classes." There was sadness in her voice, and for several moments, she just looked down at her plate; tiny drops of water dropped onto her plate.

Jane saw Susan's reaction to Francis' words, and knew what Susan was about to do. So she placed a gentle hand on hers, getting Susan's attention and subtly shaking her head, 'No.' Susan understood the unsaid meaning. Susan wanted to go to the school Francis attended and explain what education is all about. After she kicked a few butts.

As the three women watched, Toby and Charlotte stopped eating and each put an arm around Francis' shoulder. "Hey," Toby began. "You'll now get that chance to learn that material because Susan is here. She'll fill your head so full of knowledge that we'll have to clean up the library after your head explodes. Boy, that'll be aaa mess."

Susan quickly covered her mouth, as did Marie. Jane, using all of her willpower, quickly schooled herself to keep from laughing, both at what Toby said and the look now on Francis' face. Jane also recognized what Toby had done, and she knew he knew it too.

Francis slowly looked up, tear tracks evident on her cheeks, frowned, then slowly turned her head towards Toby and said to him, "Then you should hurry up and heal. Because I'll be incapacitated and it will be you and Charlotte who'll have to clean up the library."

Then Toby said something that caused everyone's eyes to water, and Francis to throw her arms around his neck and hug him. "For you, Francis. I'll do that any day."

tbc
Chapter 28

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Healing

joannebarbarella's picture

The healing process continues and Jane is being helped by Susan and all three children (and Marie). They still have not come to terms with just how well they have done.

Hi joanne

Jamie Lee's picture

True, joanne. As you will see in upcoming chapters, there is a reason for this. A reason Sherry helps bring out.

Thank you for your comment.

Others have feelings too.

Is Education The Filling of Heads?

Cindy Lou's picture

I'm loving the story, but you are losing me with all the sage advice lectures. I'm more didactic in teaching or chatting. This writing is such an odd combination of raw emotion and constant analytical thinking... Feminine and Masculine...

Constantly hearing that education is the filling up of minds and the gathering of knowledge might be a major failing in our schools. The vast majority of teachers report their belief in their duty to provide information. The three Rs are only the foundationg for an education that helps distilling information, weeding out garbage, thinking logically, using the information, and synthesizing. Information is plentiful, cheap, and often faulty. Teachers who think and lead others to think are not plentiful. People who answer questions bore the heck outta learners & seekers who want to play with questions because the questions teach more and open doors.

Advice is the same as information. I often am frustrated with those who begin to answer my questions that are too big for answers... and thereby shut down the expanding and learning process. I really cringe at advice unsolicited or given by one who believes themselves wise.

Oh, and Charlotte stormed off to her room after Jane lied to her about how wonderful her lasagna is... tired of being berated. How did that turn out to be selfishness and unappreciative to Jane? Charlotte gave her best and 'wowed' all with her gift... and is constantly told its just okay and needs improvement. How is that different than a school where they could excel and are told to sit down and deal with it - your gifts are not appreciated?

Yeah, I have been letting these frustrations build up. I am still reading, but am assuming that the author might be interested in constructive feedback. I have style-sheet feedback for the whole website on what paragraphs are for, but I'm not going there now.

Sorry if this is a bit grumbly. I am working on not enough sleep, but I think my comments are valid in spite of crotchetyism. I am still reading, aren't I? Even when the same event is described for the fifth time... ugh.

Thank you for your good tale, insight, wisdom, and especially for your kind characters with integrity.