Complicit in a Lie Revisited Chapter 29

Printer-friendly version

Complicit In a Lie
Revisited Chapter 29

By Jamie Lee

Author's Note: When I first wrote Complicit In a Lie, I had no thoughts, or ideas, to write a sequel. But thanks to a few readers, who asked about a sequel, ideas formed that made writing this sequel possible. It is necessary to have read Complicit In a Lie to understand why Charles is now with Jane, who the boy arriving in Kingston is and how he's involved in Charles' Court case. And to understand where Mr. Corporate, George Strom, fits into this story. This story starts off after Charles says, "When do we start," in Complicit in a Lie. So if you haven't read Complicit In a Lie, the beginning of this story won't make any sense. Hint hint!

Chapter 29

Looking out the big window in the living room, Jane watched as three cars came up the drive, parked and a woman exited each car. One of the women saw Jane standing at the living room window and gave her a big wave; the woman also had a big smile on her face. Jane just shook her head, before turning and walking to the front door. Opening the door, Jane stood there and watched as the three women greeted each other with hugs and cheek kisses, before walking side by side and approaching the front door where Jane waited. "I don't remember sending you three a breakfast invitation for today. And I suppose someone made two phone calls and invited the other two?"

Jane's look would have curled the toes of any girl she had in the house, but not these three women. These three kept the smiles they had on their faces, with one even saying, "Oh, Janie. You know anytime I come to your house I have an open invitation to sit for a meal. You told me that your very own self some ancient time ago, Janie." The other two women did their best not to laugh at the banter between her and 'Janie.' "And look at you, Janie, all prim and proper, you need to let your hair down now and then. Ya know? Now, if what I smell tastes as good as it smells, then our early arrival won't be in vain, will it?"

When Sherry Daniels reached Jane, Jane urgently pulled her into a hug, like two long-lost lovers. What Jane said next surprised even the other two women, Susan and Jill. "Damn girl, it's good to see you again. We do need your help."

Sherry was hugging Jane as fiercely as Jane was hugging her. "It's good to be here again, chère, I've missed you. You should have called me sooner about all this Scheisse (crap.). I'd have dropped everything and been here yesterday, last week, two years ago. You know that, chère. For you, anything. How's the boy holding up so far? I've seen the pictures you sent me and read the accompanying file. From the looks of you, you're about to send some friends to deal with the whole thing, right? But you can't get involved without endangering the boy, right?"

Jane pushed Sherry back and looked at her with a surprised look on her face. "Ho... " but she never finished her question, as Sherry beat her to it.

"How'd I know how you're feeling and how you wanted to contact your friends and have them deal with this whole mess? Thompson, I've been able to read you like a book ever since we met all those centuries ago." Sherry then took a hand and rubbed Janie's cheek, saying, "And I'm really glad you didn't go critical in getting involved. You wouldn't look good in orange or looking like a zebra. Besides, I can't bake a cake worth a damn, as you well know from experience."

Jane had leaned into Sherry's hand, then looking at Susan and Jill, she said for them to go on through; to Jill, she said Toby was in the kitchen. After the three women had entered the house, and Jane had closed and locked the front door, she and Sherry, arm in arm, went to the study. Jane opened the study door and let Sherry enter first, before following her and closing the door behind her. "Mess is not a strong enough word to describe what's taking place, Sherry," Jane said, as she walked over to the window at the front of the study. "Marie and I are charting new territory," Jane supplied as she looked out the window. Turning to face Sherry, she said in a voice of exasperation, "We only have one real girl with us, the other two shouldn't even be here. Charlotte, Charles Thorton, is only here to keep him out of Federal Court, where Strom threatened to take him there if Ruth didn't find him guilty. And Toby. He's been so severely beaten it's a wonder he is still sane. Both of those boys are where Marie and I want our girls to be before they leave here. To top it all off, Sherry, two men arrived at the hospital looking for Toby. They wanted to kill him, Sherry. Someone has been killing those kids who were involved in the shoplifting ring and still on the streets. I so wanted Fred and Bill to take care of this whole mess. And I can assure you, they would have found those at the top responsible for everything, and the world wouldn't have known where those people could be found when those two were done. If Marie hadn't been here, they would have been on their way right now."

Sherry had stood stock still in the middle of the study while Jane came very close to shouting while she laid her soul bare to Sherry. "Jane, stop. Take a breath. You are all over the place right now. This isn't you. Get your thoughts together and we'll talk more after breakfast." Sherry walked over to Jane, turned her around, put her arms around her, and held her as she cried on Sherry's shoulder. "You are a slow learner, Janie. You try to carry the world on your shoulders, it's something you've always done. If you don't learn to do what you do best and leave the other stuff to those who do that best, you're going to burn yourself out completely. And boys who need you will be out of luck." Sherry continued holding Jane, feeling the woman's body slowly relax. Pushing Jane back, she told her, "Come on, let's go eat breakfast, then we can talk more. Okay?"

With her arm still around Jane, Sherry steered them to the study door. Using her free hand, Sherry opened the door, pushed Jane through before walking through herself and closing the door behind her. Sherry then steered Jane towards her bedroom, hinting Jane needed to fix her face. After Sherry watched Jane enter her bedroom, she walked over to the big window at the front of the living room. She'd known Jane Thompson for more years than she could remember, and knew she was a 'tough-as-nails' woman. So for something to cause her this much distress, it must be extremely bad. As Sherry looked out the window, she sensed someone standing beside her. Turning to her left, she saw a very pretty girl standing there. "Aunt Jane has really been hurting since this whole thing started. It's gotten worse when she found out they were killing the kids who were involved with the shoplifting. Oh, I'm Charlotte, by the way, Charles Thorton in my normal clothes. Francis and I have done all we can to help Aunt Jane, even forcing her to go riding with us. It helped at that time, but only during that time. Why do some people take on the sins of the world, but can't do anything about what's causing them such distress?"

Sherry gave Charlotte a blank look before chuckling. "Janie said you were an interesting young man, Charles Thorton. And now I can see why. You asked one heck of a question. My short answer? They have an abundance of love and care for others. When they see things such as all I've learned occur, they want to do something, see someone deal with the situation. They know, deep down, they lack the skills to get involved, so they develop a sense of being powerless. They also know, deep down, if they did get involved, they might be in trouble or lose everything they've worked for. Again, feeling powerless. But she isn't powerless when it comes to changing behaviors and attitudes, something she forgets sometimes during something like this. I'm here to help her remember all the good she's done, all the boys she's put on a better path. You and Francis should be commended for the help you've given Jane, it's rare for two of her girls to do something like that."

Charlotte laughed, then said, "That was your short answer? If that's your short answer, I'd hate to hear your dissertation."

Laughing, Sherry told Charlotte, "I can get wound up, Charlotte." Then leaning towards Charlotte, and speaking in a conspiratorial voice, asked, "Is breakfast ready yet?

Answering in the same quality of voice, Charlotte replied, "We're just waiting for Aunt Jane. And why are we whispering?"

A booming voice caused Charlotte to jump and Sherry to turn her head towards the voice. "BECAUSE, CHARLOTTE. IT'S A CHARACTER FLAW SHE'S HAD FOR YEARS. AND, ASK HER A QUESTION AND YOU GET HER DISSERTATION. Now come on you two or our breakfast will get cold." Jane chuckled as her dear friend stuck her tongue out at her. She also chuckled after causing Charlotte to jump, likely for the first time since she'd been at Seasons House. She still had the touch!

Just as Charlotte and Sherry turned to walk through the living room and into the dining room, Jill and Toby slowly came down the stairs; Jill had taken Toby up to his bedroom to examine his wounds, and treat any needing to be treated. Jill was behind Toby but had her left hand on his left shoulder, helping to support him as he slowly took one step at a time down the stairs. Toby was concentrating on the steps, so didn't see Jane and Jill make eye contact or Jill nod her head to Jane; Toby's wounds were healing nicely.

Despite his slow movements, Toby again assisted in seating Jane, Jill, Susan, Sherry, and Marie when she finally came out of the kitchen. Not one of the ladies said a word about his slow movements in assisting them, they just thanked him for his help. A silent question passed between Sherry and Jane concerning his helping the ladies to sit at the table. With raised eyebrows, Sherry was asking Jane, 'Has he done this since he's been here?' Sherry received an unspoken answer from Jane as she nodded her head. Sherry returned the gesture, indicating she was impressed with Toby and what he was doing, given his condition. Sherry watched as Toby stood until Francis and Charlotte were seated, then sat down himself. She threw another silent question towards Jane when Toby bowed his head after sitting down. Jane put her palms together, her fingers pointing straight up and she bowed her head at the same time, telling Sherry Toby was saying a prayer of thanks before eating. This time Sherry mouthed 'WOW' in response to Jane's silent explanation.

Sherry had read the file Jane had sent her on Toby, the official report and Jane's report. The official report stated Toby was an angry, arrogant, and disrespectful young man. It also told of the injuries discovered on his body when he was required to change his clothes while in jail. And the lack of parental consent so his injuries couldn't be treated. While Jane's report started with the same initial belief, and her thoughts on how she'd deal with Toby, she amended those thoughts after observing Toby when he arrived at the train station. The amendment also included her observations of Toby since his arrival at Seasons House, which dramatically contradicted the official report. She had a feeling he'd be an interesting boy to speak with. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone call her name.

"Earth to Ms. Daniels. Would you please bring your spacecraft back to Earth, Ms. Daniels?" Not only was Jane looking at Sherry, knowing she was lost in thought, but so were the others; the girls were trying not to laugh because of what Jane said to Sherry.

As everyone watched, Sherry shook herself, then said, "Sorry, I was lost in thought." Then while looking at Jane she said, "MS Daniels? Come on, Janie. You know I hate it when people address me as MS anything. I'm not that type of girl." After saying that, she gave Jane a smug look, causing the girls and Toby to once again stifle the laughs bubbling in their throats.

Returning Sherry's smug look with one of her own, Jane told her, "But it got your attention, didn't it? I find it's the only way to bring you back down to earth when that pea-sized brain of yours takes you into the void."

"Pea brain? Now you're calling me a pea brain? Was it my pea-sized brain that pulled your fat out of the fire in that restaurant that one time? Let me think, aw yes… " but Jane jumped in before Sherry could go on.

"You wouldn't?" Jane exclaimed. "That's blackmail!"

"Oh, yes I would! And yes it is!" Sherry replied, her face laced with a big smile. As everyone watched, Jane picked up her serviette and waved it in the air, eliciting a, "That's better, Janie," from Sherry.

Marie knew of the deep friendship Jane and Sherry shared over the years and was always amused when they had the time to meet and rekindle that friendship with their bantering. Susan, on the other hand, at first thought the two were at each other's throats over something, but soon realized they were just bantering with each other. She knew it was something only real friends did with each other.

After the two had finished bantering with each other, Jane saw a questioning look on Francis' face. "Francis. You seem to be troubled. Why is that?"

Everyone had helped themselves to the scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, and biscuits that had been passed from person to person, and Francis had taken a fork full of scrambled eggs when Jane asked her question. Swallowing the bite, then clearing her throat, Francis answered with, "I was just thinking about my paper on the Dust Bowl. Why would people ever live in those areas? When they were first settled, they'd have to travel a long distance to reach any town. The only thing there when they settled those areas was prairie grasses. I just don't understand why such areas attract people."

Susan chimed in with, "What do you see when looking out through the front windows, Francis? Tall grasses? Trees? And very little else, right? Imagine being given land and allowed to keep it if you made improvements on it in five years. Imagine you had a dream to own your own home and land. You have to remember how those people were living at the time, Francis. Many had arrived in America and were living in major cities at the time. They were paying someone else to live in the owner's apartment buildings, often in terrible conditions; working conditions weren't any better. You also have to remember a lot this started taking place after the Civil War, when the Country was trying to put itself back together. Your living conditions stink, as does the job you have, so what would you do if you were offered a chance to have your own land and build and live in your own house? And all you had to do was make improvements on the land. People saw a chance to get out from under poor and oftentimes terrible living conditions, if not dangerous working conditions. So they took the offer of free land and the chance to start a new life. But as you have undoubtedly learned, they were ignorant of land management. They went too far with the plow and plowed everything in sight, removing the one thing helping to stabilize the land. Those who had herds of cattle overgrazed the land, with the result the same as with overplowing the land. After a while, many had to leave, or left in hopes of finding something better. But many stayed because they liked the freedom the land and the area gave them. They weren't living shoulder to shoulder with the person next to them. The conditions were rough, even hard, but it was theirs to do as they wanted. Do you enjoy the view when you look out of the front window, Francis?" Francis nodded her head in answer to Susan's question

"Those who settled in those areas also liked the view, a view not hampered by tall buildings or streets packed with all manner of people, horses and carts. They could see for miles, and the odd building and the herds of cattle they'd see grazing in pastures belonged to the neighbors who lived several miles away. The air was clean, the sky blue instead of brown and hazy. And what a view of the heavens at night. The sky was lit with so many stars, unseen in the big cities because of the constant lighting and haze. Have been outside at night, Francis, and taken in the sky and its dance of lights? It is a beauty all of its own. Mankind could do nothing to improve on such beauty. Did my diatribe answer your question, Francis? This and other topics will be covered in the American history course I have planned for the three of you. You will also study World history." When Susan mentioned World history, the three teens cringed at the thought of World history. "Oh, come on now, no ugly faces. I'm not going to have you learn who did what when. If you want to know that, you can look it up. No, I want you three to see and understand cause and effect. How decisions of any kind do have consequences, and sometimes lasting consequences like the Dust Bowl."

Susan changed topics with, "Toby. I think with another hour of reading, you'll be ready for the test on the first section of that Physics book. Unless Jane has something for you to do after helping in the kitchen, then I'd like you to continue reading where you stopped. Once you reach the end of the first section, let me know and I'll gladly give you the first test you'll be taking. My gawd, will you stop looking like you just sucked a lemon. I'm not going to stand up in front of you and produce some boring litany of who did what when and why. You are going to teach yourselves. I'm here to let that happen. I'm here to answer any questions you have and to point out ideas or concepts you might have missed or didn't see. I'm here to try and get you to think about what you're reading or working through. You three will not be a captive audience. If you run across something in your reading, all of us will discuss it, not just you and me individually."

The only person who hadn't been eating as Susan spoke was herself. It was Jane who interjected by saying, "I think it's time to let Susan have her breakfast, don't you three agree?" She was looking directly at the three teens who sat opposite her at the table. Jane, Marie, and Jill had seen how intently the three had been listening to Susan as they ate their breakfasts. Now, with something in their mouths at the moment, all they could do was nod their heads to Jane's oral question and her unspoken one. "Toby. I do not have anything else for you after you've done what you are able in the kitchen. So you are to return to the library and continue with your reading." When Jane gave reading assignments to past girls, none had the gleam she now saw in Toby's eyes. He wanted to read, needed to read, had hoped he'd get the chance one day. That day had arrived and he wanted to do nothing but bury himself in whatever book Susan gave him to read. "Girls, you know your research papers are coming due, so you need to work those in between what Susan gives you."

When the last fork had been placed on an empty plate, the three teens asked to be excused from the table, so they could begin clearing the table and finish in the kitchen. As the four women watched, despite Toby's limited mobility, he was moving much faster than he'd done in the past few days. When the three teens were in the kitchen it was Susan who made an observation with, "I think someone is in a hurry to resume his reading. I can't recall any of my past students needing to read as urgently as that boy. I wonder if he thinks it will be taken away from him, so is reading as much as possible?"

It was Marie who added, "Or, he's making up for lost time. Remember, he tried to get put into AP courses, only to be denied. A person that hungry to learn, often overcompensates when they are finally given the chance to do what they've dreamt of doing. According to what I've heard, his speed reading isn't being questioned, it's his ability to retain what he reads that's being questioned. And if my figures are correct, you should be giving him the section test in about 30-45 minutes after he begins where he left off reading yesterday. I suspect he'll read even faster today, so he can continue reading more of that Physics book. I also suspect he'll do the same for any book you give him, Susan."

After the table had been cleared, it wasn't long before Toby came out of the kitchen, walking much faster than when he helped clear the table. As the four women watched, he made a beeline to the library, continuing the same fast-paced walk. Susan and Sherry may have missed it, but Jill, Jane, and Marie saw the grimace on his face with each quick step he took toward the library. "I sure hope he didn't tear anything open walking like that," Jill put in. "Everything is healing nicely, but it only takes one wrong move and he'll tear something open. That kid has more heart than most kids his age. Hell, he has more heart than many adults." Then, speaking more to herself than anyone still at the table, she said, "He can't go back to public education. That place is killing him and his mind." Jill looked up to see all eyes now on her. "Let me guess," she asked, looking at each woman at the table. "You all feel the same? You already discussed some way to keep him out of the public education system? Or at least the school he was attending?"

"We have, Jill," Jane answered. "However, the question can't be answered or another program sought until this entire mess is resolved. Officially, he's to stay here with me, just as any other boy sent to me by the Courts. Unofficially, we are trying to find an institution of learning that fits his needs. But with so many unanswered questions connected to this whole mess, nothing definite can be planned. Plus, when he's released by the Courts, his future is out of our hands."

Marie spoke next by saying, "I'd best get into the kitchen to make sure those two anmaßende Kinder (presumptuous children) are doing what they're supposed to be doing. And my kitchen is still in one piece." Having said that, Marie pushed her chair back, stood up, pushed the chair back under the table, then walked the four steps into the kitchen.

It was Jill who spoke next, saying, "Well, my work here is done. I wanted to make sure there was no more infection and the wounds were healing nicely. I sure hope a plastic surgeon can do something with all those scars, or he'll be answering a lot of questions down the road. The last thing he needs to a constant reminder of what he's been through. Oh, and thank you for the breakfast, Jane. It was as tasty as it always is when I'm here." She then pushed her chair back, stood up, stepped away from the chair, pushed it under the table, before saying her goodbyes to the three women at the table.

It wasn't long before Francis and Charlotte came out of the kitchen, moving almost as fast as Toby had when he came out of the kitchen. "GIRLS! Is there a fire I know nothing about?" Jane's initial word stopped both girls cold in their tracks. "You both know how you are to walk while in this house, unless given special permission, which I don't remember giving you two. So… where's the fire?"

In the past, Francis would have shied away from Jane's questions. It had been a self-imposed habit with her because of past experiences at school. Now, after being with Charlotte and being encouraged by her, and knowing Jane wasn't going to chastise her for speaking, she said, "We're almost finished with our research papers, and wanted to complete them before Susan assigns the work she has for us."

Jane was staring at Francis, a stare which once would have had her hanging her head, thinking she was being humiliated for speaking. But now a different Francis looked back at her, a more confident Francis stood there before her. "It's wise to complete one project before starting another one, but it isn't a reason to act as though you're running a race. By hurrying as you two were doing, you're completely focused on quickly arriving at the library, and wouldn't be able to see something unexpected happening and react to it in time. It's admirable you both wish to finish your projects before starting on the lessons Susan has for you two. But in this house, you WILL take your time walking from room to room unless told otherwise. Is that clear, or do we have to practice by walking the entire house?"

Francis answered for Charlotte by telling Jane, "We both understand, Aunt Jane. We're sorry, Aunt Jane." When Jane flicked her head in the direction of the library, both girls calmly walked the rest of the way to the library.

"I better get in there and get my material ready for those three." She then looked at her watch and said, "If Marie is right, in about fifteen minutes, Toby will be ready for the first section test." This Susan said before pushing her chair back, standing, then pushing the chair under the table.

Before Susan could turn and start for the library, Sherry said, "Susan. After Toby takes his section test, have him come see me. I suspect he's so wound up inside he's about to explode. I'm surprised he hasn't already, because of everything he's endured. He may be with me longer than the rest of you, including you Susan. So you might hold off giving him anything before he comes to see me. Also, tell him if the study door is closed, wait in the living room and I'll come find him. If it's open, he's to walk on in."

Susan nodded her head, turned, and walked to the library, where she lightly knocked on the library door before opening the door and walking into the library. When she closed the door behind her, Sherry turned to Jane and asked, "Well, shall we return to our previous discussion in the study, you're still wound much too tightly. And like Toby, if you haven't already done so, you're a boom waiting to happen."

Jane nodded her head as she said, "Yes, we better return to the study. And yes, I have gone boom already, I'll tell you about it." Both women pushed back the chairs at the same time. Stood, moved away from their chairs, then pushed them under the table. Sherry stepped over to Jane and put her arm around the woman's waist as they started walking to the study. Jane let Sherry take control as it was Sherry who opened the study door and guided Jane into the room first. Stepping into the room after Jane, she closed the door before telling Jane, "Let's sit at the table by the window. It's a lovely view out there today." As the two walked towards the table near the window, there was a knock on the study door. Both turned towards the door and watched as Marie entered carrying a tray laden with a tea teapot covered with a tea cozy and two cups on two saucers. As she walked over to the table, they also saw a plate on the tray with an assortment of cookies on it. Marie was silent the entire time she was in the study, but hugged Jane and kissed her on the cheek before leaving the study. Jane was now looking out of the window and missed what Sherry saw as Marie walked to the study door. Even with her back towards Sherry and Jane, Sherry saw Marie first use her right hand to wipe her right eye, then her left hand to wipe her left eye. 'I will talk to that lovely woman after Toby,' Sherry told herself. 'She hides it well, but she too is hurting because of this mess,' she added to herself. Shaking her head, she walked over to the table and all but commanded Jane to sit down.

tbc
Chapter 30

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All This Help

joannebarbarella's picture

From outside will be needed. Even Marie is upset.

Hi joanne

Jamie Lee's picture

Indeed they do. It gets rather explosive during the sessions in upcoming chapters.

Others have feelings too.