Shut Up!

Printer-friendly version


Shut Up!


A Musical Interlude from the Way-Off Broadway Musical
Guys Can Be Dolls


I dreamed last night I got on the boat to heaven
And by some chance I felt like I had something to say
‘I bet you’re surprised that I’m In the boat with you..."
But the passengers they shouted me down, It’s TRUE

For the Candidates; they all said;
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Candidates shouted again;
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Candidates all said
"We care about you,
Much, much more than your parents do!"
" Shut up, Shut up, Shut up, Shut up!
" Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"

For the Pundits; they all said
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Pundits shouted again;
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Pundits remarked
"After all is said and done
You’ll groom ev’ry kid one by one."
"Shut up, Shut up, Shut up, Shut up!
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"

For the Preachers; they all said
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Preachers shouted again;
"Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"
The Preachers they all said
"We all know full well
Our Bible says you’re going to hell!"
" Shut up, Shut up, Shut up, Shut up!
" Shut up, you're rockin' the boat"

I floated adrift from that little boat to heaven
And by some chance found I had some company
picked up by a boat filled with misfits just like me
But the folks in the other boat still did insist…

For those people; they all said
"Beware you're missing this heavenly ship"
The people all said
"Beware, beware you’re on the wrong trip…
and even as I felt overwhelmed
I saw the kind guy manning the helm
and he said…
"We’re cool, we’re okay
You’re jusy fine since you’re goin’ my way…"

So speak up, speak up,, speak up,, Speak up!
Soeak up and keep rockin' the boat!


adapted from
Sit Down! You're Rockin' the Boat
from the Musical Guys and Dolls
words and music by
Frank Loesser
Cover by Jennifer Nettles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eRNccwdDU

up
27 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Why do you people always have to bring up your LGBTQ+ shit?!"

laika's picture

I read an article the other day about a researcher into the history of comics who discovered Bill Kane had a co-creator when he came up with the character Batman, a man named Bill Finger, who died in obscurity in 1974 and was never credited with helping create the famous superhero. It didn't help that his only heir who could have shed light on this mystery man was a Gay son who died of AIDS in the 1990s. The researcher, Marc Nobleman mentioned this fact when giving a talk about his discovery at a school in Atlanta, Georgia. The school board demanded that he SHUT UP about the gay son at all future talks in their school system. So he quit, refusing to give any more talks.

Then, being the masochist that I am, I read many of the readers' comments below the article. The majority sided with the school board, saying the dead gay guy was completely irrelevant to the subject being discussed, and questioned why mentioning it was so important to Nobleman that he would quit. He clearly must have an AGENDA, propagandizing our precious youth with this horrible WOKE detail that might turn them all gay if they heard it. Kids don't need to hear about LGBTQ+ people at that age.

Except they already do hear about LGBTQ people all the time. They hear politicians, preachers, Fox News shitbags and their parents (who listen to said shitbags) sitting around the dinner table, saying what a danger we are to America, a corrupting influence whose very existence will destroy the family unit. These "Don't Say Gay" laws like they have in Florida and ten other US states, that prohibiting any mention of gay or trans people in schools are an attempt to ensure that the anti-LGBTQ narrative is the only narrative concerning us that kids will hear. Marc Noble's "irrelevant" and "agenda driven" little detail in his speech undermines the way this anti-LGBTQ narrative tries to paint us as some strange, alien outside force which sprang up out of nowhere to assault our precious values and destroy the family unit, by reminding people that we ARE part of the American family -- sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, grannies, grampaws, cousins -- and as much a part of American society as anyone else. That we're their classmates, co-workers, neighbors etc. And any reminder of these obvious facts threatens their ability to "other" and demonize us; which is the real purpose of these Don't Say Gay/Trans bills aimed at controlling how the next generation of voters will think about us; and why they are so insistent that we SHUT UP.

There's an evil agenda being "pushed down people's throats" all right, but it ain't us who are pushing it.
~Love your song Drea! Stay woke and never shut up. Hugs, Veronica

.
Oh, and here's the article about the Batman guy,
courtesy of the insidious fake news lamestream press:
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/batman-resear...

You go, Drea!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Love it! Great inversion of a classic show-tune!

Emma