Pink Bear Romance - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 2
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

“How do you think you did on your test?” asked Amy after I met her outside my dorms. She had been waiting in the parking lot after I had called her to let her know I was finished. Maybe in more ways than one.

As I closed the passenger door on Amy’s car, I sighed and said, “I think I squeaked by. I could have used a few extra hours of studying. We’ll find out what our grades were tomorrow.”

Punching me lightly on the shoulder, Amy grinned. “I’m sure you did fine. You know all that computer gobble-d-gook.”

I frowned at her. “It was a history test.”

Amy’s grin slipped. “Oh. Well seriously. I doubt any history has changed since we were in high school. Are you ready to do some shopping?”

Still frowning, I said, “Is this all really necessary?”

Laughing, Amy said as she drove from the parking lot, “Don’t be silly. You need quite a bit, actually. And Joanie does give us all a clothing allowance. Not huge, but it helps. Let’s see. You’re going to need some black hose. More than one pair. You know how easy they snag. Several pairs of bras. White or pink. No black bras except outside working hour dates.” She giggled. “You’ll want to get a pair of pink canvas shoes. You can wear pink sandals if you want. And pink heels for when we cater, which isn’t often.”

Interrupting, I said, “I’m sensing a theme here.”

Amy laughed. “Yes. Think pink. Let’s don’t forget make-up. I’ll help you select which products you’ll need. And if we have time, I suggest going to a salon to fix your hair. You have to admit, it’s a bit life-less. Are your ears still pierced?”

I frowned. “I like my hair life-less. And yes, they’re still pierced.”

Amy giggled. “I still remember that Saturday at the mall when we were there with your mom and she let you get your ears pierced! Your dad was so pissed!”

I chuckled. “Yeah, that was pretty funny. Well, the yelling and screaming wasn’t.”

As she drove us into the strip mall’s parking lot, Amy admitted, “I like your mom. She’s cool. And you know what your mom would probably say right now?”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh please enlighten me, oh great oracle.”

As she parked, Amy giggled at me. “You’re so silly. I’m sure she’d tell you to go to the salon and get rid of those split ends at least. Your hair really could use more body.”

I shook my head. “I’ll think about it.”

Her eyes bright with excitement, she exclaimed, “And after we get all your essentials, I think we should look at some outfits. Dresses. Skirts. Some tops.”

I just looked at her as if she was insane. “Outfits? What the hell for? On the job, I already have the uniform. I don’t need that other stuff. When I came to college, I swore off stupid stuff like crossdressing.”

Amy rolled her eyes. “You’ve said that before. Remember when we went to the mall wearing miniskirts? Who did the boys all look at? It wasn’t me. And you loved it! Don’t deny it.”

I frowned at her. “Yes. It was a hoot. I admit. But I’m more serious now. Let’s go damage my credit card.” I opened the passenger door and got out.

Amy laughed. “You? Serious? Now that’s funny. Come on Mr. Serious. Let’s hit the lingerie store first.”

Upon entering the lingerie store, the sales lady looked confused when Amy snerked when the sales lady said, “Good afternoon, ladies. How can I help you?”

It didn’t take very long to select a package of panties in an assortment of colors along with four packages of black pantyhose. I had forgotten how much fun Amy and I had shopping together. Selecting a good bra took a little more care. I got two in pink, one in white and Amy insisted I get one in black. All in an ‘A’ cup.

I didn’t think we needed to, but Amy wanted to go into the earring store. I wound up getting three pairs. I selected them myself.

Before we were done, I had also bought more make-up than I think I needed. Besides pink nail polish, Amy thought I should get a variety of colors. And lastly a pair of pink canvas tennis. Amy thought I should get a pair of heels as well, but I was tired of spending money. Well, I did get a couple of skirts as well.

The final straw was going into a salon. I finally agreed with Amy and went in to repair my split ends and to give my hair more body. Now I look even more girly. Amy assured me nobody would notice when I went back to my dorm or to my classes.

Grinning ear-to-ear when we got back to her car, Amy asked, “Wasn’t that fun?”

Nodding, I said, “I have to admit that I missed that.”

Amy said, “Going shopping would be more fun if you’d dress up.”

I frowned. “We’re not kids anymore, Amy.”

Amy rolled her eyes. “Oh spare me! We’re both just nineteen! Quit acting like you’re some old man!”

Still standing outside her car and talking over the roof, I exclaimed, “Well excuse me for trying to build a future for myself!”

Placing her palms on the roof of her car, Amy asked, “What’s the rush? You were my best friend back in high school. You were the fun friend. I mean, I had fun with all my girlfriends. It was different with you. You were… you were like my sister. My fun sister. What the hell happened?”

I frowned at her. “I grew up.” I got in her car and closed the door. Amy stood for a few moments outside her car before finally sitting down behind the steering wheel.

Looking over at me, Amy narrowed her eyes and said, “I’m not buying it. You had fun today. You admitted it. And yet you objected to doing anything. What’s going on, Scotti?”

I stared out the windshield for several moments. I felt my emotions starting to kick up, which would be bad. “I had to pick a side to stay on, Amy. I can’t keep pretending I’m one and then the other. I really have to grow up.”

Amy reached over and touched my hand. “I remember that one summer night before we became seniors, you and I were laying in my backyard on a blanket in the grass under the stars.” She laughed. “I didn’t have a pool, but we were both wearing bikinis. I had braided your hair and done your nails and you were wearing make-up, of course and we were talking silly stuff like how we were going to change the world. We were giggling and acting silly and you just got all serious. You got a faraway look in your eyes. I’ll never forget what you said. You said, ‘I wish this would never end.’ I asked you, ‘You mean the summer?’ You shook your head and pointed at yourself and said, ‘No…’”

I interrupted her and looked down at my feet and finished her sentence. “I want to stay a girl like right now. This is who I am.” I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

Amy brushed the tear away. In almost a whisper, she said, “Then do it, Scotti. Live your true life.”

I shook my head. “I can’t, Amy. We all have to grow up sometime. You know, once I complete my degree, Dad told me he would be able to get me a great position in the computer department at the company he works for. Not here, but in Dallas or possibly the Colorado site. Can you imagine?” I sniffled.

Her fingers lingering on my cheek, she asked, “Is that what you want?”

I shrugged. “Dad says it means success.”

Amy nodded. She drove her car out of the parking lot and back to my dorm.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Success?

SammyC's picture

I remember my dad wanting me to become a civil engineer like he was. Well, that was a bridge too far for me. My mother, on the other hand, always told me she wanted me to be whatever made me happy. However, she didn't realize until many years later, I'd be happiest as a girl.

Love your writing as always, Melanie.

Hugs,

Sammy

My family had big plans for me……

D. Eden's picture

As the only “boy” in my generation, it was expected that I would do my duty and uphold the family honor. That meant getting a degree in agritech, spend a reasonable time in the Army, and then return home to run the family businesses. I was fed that plan throughout my childhood and teen years.

Little did they know that I wasn’t really a boy, nor did they expect that I had my own ideas for my future.

I earned a scholarship to college on my own, studied Chemical Engineering, served in the US Navy (who paid my way through college), earned a Masters Degree, and made my own future. Eventually, I even faced up to who I really am, transitioning to become the woman I am today.

It’s very important that you discover not just what you want to do with your life, but who you want to be in life. Live your own life - not someone else’s idea of what it should be. Only by being true to yourself can you be truly happy.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Enjoyable

Enjoyable second part
Can't wait for more of the story

"We all have to grow up sometime"

I remember saying stuff like that. turned out I was kind of right - I grew up to be a middle-aged woman.

DogSig.png

Psychic Distress Crystalized

Valcyte's picture

Which world do we want to be in? I chose, but it hasn’t been easy. Friends help but most families don’t accept us, and so we hide in shame and fear of discovery. Or worse.

Success as someone else doesn't add...

Up! Scotti knows who sh/she is but she's allowing someone else to decide for her to be kept in a man's world, not hers.
I hope Amy can help Scotti see her way... into her future. That would be her success.
Jessie C

success?

Angharad's picture

Depends on how you measure it.

Angharad