The Story of a Reluctant Southern Belle (12)

Printer-friendly version

The Stoner family lived in a fine two story brick house at the corner of Hegman Road and Railroad Avenue. That was about a half mile from where Aunt Cat and Uncle Sidney lived. The house was a fine, brick house with a black slate roof. Behind the house one could see the railroad that was the lifeblood of this small delta town. Beyond the railroad tracks, and as far as the eye could see one could see cotton. Cotton was the chief crop of the Mississippi delta and was the breadwinner for many delta farmers including my dear uncle. Who's change of heart still worried me.

The front yard was nothing to look at. It had no charm or grace about it. One small flower bed that had seen better days provided a splash of color. The stone walkway that led from the carport to the front door had also seen better days, many of the stones had been broken and cracked. As I walked down this broken stone walkway I noticed the remains of another small flowerbed to the far side of the house, though this one seemed to have been abandoned and was choked with weeds. 

Anyway I took a deep breath as I walked down the broken stone path. The heel of my shoe made a clicking noise as I carefully stepped to the side to avoid stepping on the cracks. Now I'm not prone to superstitions. I don't believe that stepping on a crack will break my mothers back. Nor do I believe that breaking a mirror will result in seven years of bad luck.

Anyway, carefully stepping around the cracks it took me a few minutes to reach the front door. Once I reached the front door I pushed in the doorbell and a few minutes later a loud chime seemed to sound inside the house. I then took a deep breath and waited. A few tense moments passed and nobody came to the door, so I pushed the door bell again and again the chime sounded, and finally from somewhere inside the house I heard a woman cry out.

“Hold your horses I'm coming!” The woman bellowed. A few seconds later the door was thrown open and in the doorway stood Mrs. Stoner. She looked a bit flustered, and for a moment I was afraid she was going to bite my head off. That is until she caught sight of me. And then her facial expressions seemed to soften up a bit.

“Oh Hailey darling. I totally forgot about that little party. You see George is down with some strange sickness. Poor dear is coughing his lungs out and I'm having to play nurse-maid and keep this house running. I've just not had time to go into town to buy any ice cream or reach out to my friends. I'm so sorry darling.” She said, sighing.

I blinked and blinked again. Well it seemed like I was off the hook. All that early morning panicking was for nothing. At this point I had shoved the painful memories that had resurfaced last night back into the tiny box they came from and had firmly put that box away. I wanted to burn it. And I guess I would in time.

“Oh.” I said smiling. “No problem, I should have phoned ahead anyway to see if the date was still on. I'll just be going then.” I said as I turned around and then something happened that took me by surprise. Mrs. Stone reached out and took me by the arm.

“Oh no, Hailey. You've walked all this way. Why don't you come in and have some coffee with me. After all, I'm eager to learn a little more about you.” She said as she stepped to the side. “Come in please.” She said smiling. 

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath. I was not expecting this.

I mentally debated for about thirty seconds if I should take the invention or not. Now I'm not ignorant when it comes to southern high society. And I know southern women love to play mental games with each other. And so as I stood there, searching for any hidden meaning or trying to see what such an invitation would hold I started to wonder what had I gotten myself into again. I could reflect on her offer by making up an excuse. But might lead to more questions, questions aimed at discovering the truth.

“I would love some coffee.” I said at last deciding to go ahead and take the bait. “But I'm afraid I can't stay long.” I said smiling as I entered the house.

“Oh don't worry darling. Just a little chat over a nice cup of coffee.” Mrs. Stoner said as she closed the door. “After all, it would be rude to send you on your way without offering you at least something to drink and snack on. I know we southern girls want to watch our waistline. But I have some home-made lemon cooling on the kitchen table and it would be a shame if you left without trying some.” She said as she moved around me and started to guide me toward the kitchen.

Once we reached the kitchen, she pointed toward the kitchen table and offered me a little smile as she started to move around the linoleum floor. I noticed the kitchen was small, with a limited amount of counter space. And the large, round, wooden kitchen table seemed to take up much of the free space that could be found. I also noticed the fridge and the stove had been squeezed in tight together and fitted like pieces in a puzzle.

“So. How long are you going to keep this game up? Because I know who you are. Your Casper Sharbrough.” She said, taking a deep breath as she peered directly into my eyes. 

I blinked and blinked again. I wanted to jump up and run right out of the house. And I was going to keep running till I reached Aunt Cat and Uncle Sidney's home. Then I was going to bolt up the stairs and dive under the covers of my bed. Instead I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and as I released it I said.

“Mrs. Stone, I think you are mistaken. My name is Hailey Sharbrough and it will always be Hailey Sharbrough.” I said, smiling a little.

Mrs. Stone blinked and slowly a little smile formed upon her lips. 

“I'm afraid the game is up, Casper.” Mrs. Stoner said. “Casper Sharbrough, You see, I have connections. All delta women do. And none of your information checked out. So in short you lied. And I do not like people who lie.” She said as she stood up and walked toward me.

“So, Casper. If you want to keep living your life as Hailey Sharbrough you must do me a few favors. You see, I'm always in need of a willing volunteer. The young women in this village don't like to volunteer. And I'm often forced to depend on outside help. You know from outside towns such as Yazoo City, Rolling Fork, and Belzoni.”

Mrs. Stone said as peered toward me.

I swallowed hard.

“Now,  I need you to do two things for me. First we're going to hosting our first annual “Sharbrough's Landing Days” a small town wide celebration that going to showcase local talent. Local craft's, and highlight the history of this little settlement on the banks of the Sunflower River.” Mrs. Stone grinned as she stood up.

“Now, we have several events lined up that will provide entertainment for people. A bunch of local guys have put on a make-shift band. Called 'The Cotton Pickers' they will be providing live music. The Lost Dog Pizza Company has agreed to bring their food truck out here so there will be fresh, hot pizza. From Yazoo City, 'The Red Samurai' will also bring out their food truck so hibachi inspired dishes would be offered for those who want them. And last but not least 'Sunny BBQ' another stable of Yazoo City would be there. So We'll have live music, three food trucks.” 

“Sounds like an amazing time.” I said, taking a deep breath.

“Oh I put a lot of hard work into this. Also I've rented a dunking booth, and alas so far only the guys seem willing to take turns getting dunked. And trust me honey, nobody will pay to see a bunch of sun tanned farmers get dunked.” Mrs. Stone said with a heavy sigh.

I wanted to disagree with Mrs. Stone at this point. I for one would pay money to see George Stoner get dunked in nothing but a pair of form fitting bathing shorts. But teenage lust aside I could kind of tell where this was going. Though I wanted to wait and see if my hunch was correct.

“So.” Mrs. Stoner said. “Unless you want your little secret to get out. I think you would agree to take the full four hour shift with brief fifteen minute breaks every hour. So three hours total.” She said smiling. “Of course if you take on this task, I'm sure it would really boost your image. You'll gain a lot of brownie points with the community. And everybody would just fall more in love with you.” She said grinning. As she started to circle around me.

I swallowed hard.

“I mean I would volunteer. But there is just one problem. I don't own a bathing suit.” I said blushing.

“Oh don't worry, you don't really need to wear a bathing suit to go into the dunking booth. But if you wish, I'm sure me and the other women of the village can hunt something up for you. Though I would suggest a nice, form fitting sundress. You know to put on a little show, one that will show a little skin as you get wetter and wetter.” Mrs. Stone said with a wink.

I swallowed hard and nodded my head.

“One final piece of business.” She said. “This coming Saturday. Me, my husband and my son will be going out to eat at 'The Cow Pen' A charming little steak house located in Lake Village, Arkansas. A picture perfect little village located on the banks of Lake Chico. If you don't know, Lake Village is located right across the river from Greenville. I would love it if you could join us. I could use a little female companionship. And George would be there. It will give you a chance to flirt with him a little more.” Mrs. Stoner said, smirking.

“Sure.” I said, taking a deep breath. “I would love to.” I said, trying to smile a little as I looked Mrs. Stoner straight in the eye. It was like looking into the face of a feral cat.

“Good. Now one last bit of business. A personal request for me. I know you're already volunteering for the dunking booth. Because you are a brave and charitable girl. And we all know that Southern Belle's are known for being charitable souls.” Mrs. Stone said as she started to walk around the room.

“Right..” I said, taking a deep breath. I knew by 'Personal request' she really meant that she had something else planned for me. And since it seemed I was totally in the palm of her hand. I really only saw one way forward and that was to agree to any oddball request she might put to me.

“Now, a few of the men folk of the Landing.” Mrs. Stoner started. “Have been pitching the idea of a beauty pageant around as evening entertainment. And the women agree. But we're a few girls short of a full roster. Now. I think it would be best if the new girl in town signed up. After all, you are Landing gentry after all.”

I heaved another sigh. I could see what she was driving out.

“Wonderful, there are no forms to fill out. Just show up in an evening gown after your four hours in the dunking booth. We'll have everything you need to make yourself pretty again in the tent beside the dunking booth. I'll go ahead and phone your aunt and tell her that you're volunteering for both the dunking booth and beauty pageant.” Mrs. Stoner said as she patted me on the shoulder and smiled.

“I'm so glad we could have this little talk darling. I'm sure you're going to make a wonderful daughter-in-law someday. We just need to get you broken in and get you to unlearn a lot of those nasty little habits you've picked up in your tomboy phase.” She added.

And so the next stage of my journey has started. I had turned the page it seemed. But really a dunking booth? A beauty pageant? What have I gotten myself into this time? And to think all of this started because I agreed to model a painting for my aunt Cat one rainy afternoon a month or so ago.

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Having grown up in the south……..

D. Eden's picture

And being a member of the landed gentry, I have some knowledge of how they can be toward each other - but this is obviously the act of a jealous and manipulative bitch.

I saw more than enough political maneuvering and back stabbing amongst family and assorted friends and associates of the family, but nothing quite this blatant. There was always a modicum of politeness and gentility covering everything. It is obvious from the description of the house, both inside and out, that the Stoners are beneath Hailey’s family both economically and socially, and apparently Lavender has decided this is her chance to get back at them.

Her lack of class becomes more evident by the word.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Indeed.

Indeed.
She is a nasty piece of work.
You would imagine that even trailer trash would be ashamed to do something like that.
Hard to see her being serious about marrying her son due to the lack of grandchildren.
She may know about her parent's money and be looking for a payday.