My Summer at Camp Kickapoo (1)

Printer-friendly version

My Summer at Camp Kickapoo
Chapter One
A Late Night Thunderstorm

I took a deep breath as I peered out through the flaps of my tent. The heavy rain drops pounded upon the canvas frame of my tent. Claps of thunder echoed in the dark night sky and the icy wind howled through cracks in the bottom of the tent. The sudden thunderstorm should have been a blessing, for it had cooled the air. But as I sat down upon my cot and peered down at the black and white pages of my manga I found myself straining to read the fine print. My only source of light, an old gas powered lantern, started to sway back and forth as the flaps of the tent flapped in the wind.

I was two days into a fourteen day sojourner into the rural, rustic hell called “Camp Kickapoo '' I had signed up for what's called a double hitch. Not only in hopes of earning enough to merit badges to advance from my current rank of Scout First Class to Star. But also to prove to myself that I had “True Grit”. I can not easily define what “True Grit” is. But it was something I was told I lacked all my life.

Oh and this manga I'm reading? The glossy cover shows a girl with long raven colored hair. She was wearing a stylish Sailor Uniform and she was surrounded by orange and yellow flaming balls of fire. The title of the manga was called Sailor Moon and was about a girl who saved a black cat and as result had been endowed with magical powers and gifted a magic wand.

The manga was more than a comic book, it was my connection to the world outside this rustic hell. Scouts attending camp here were not allowed to have any electronic devices heck we were not allowed to have more than forty dollars in cash. In fact all my world possessions were laying at foot of my cot. All were contained in a brown rucksack.

That rucksack contained my Scout Handbook, a shaving kit, an extra bar of soap, a formal uniform, a hairbrush, extra hair ties, a compass, a notebook with some pens, a box of matches, and my tin cooking kit. Also wrapped in an old paper bag was a pair of brown dress shoes that went along with the formal scout uniform. For everyday wear I wore a pair of brown leather moccasins. I had a spare pair of moccasins in my sack.

I was also making another pair. You see the camp store or “The Trading Post” - The trading post sold most anything a scout could want from guide books about getting certain merit badges, to crafting kits to even an ice cold soda and a snack. The post only accepted cash and bills no larger than a five. So that was that.

Also I failed to mention this earlier but also housed within my sack was a leather bound Book of Common Prayer, and a set of Anglican Prayer Beads. I'd been born into a family that had been Episcopalian for generations and one uncle had even gone into the priesthood. As far as I could tell he was the rector, that is the person in charge of a parish, which is just a fancy name for a church and the congregation that calls that church home. And last but not least a leather drawstring pouch that contained a small amount of money. Most one dollar bills, a few five dollar bills, two ten dollar bills, a good collection of coins and stuff. When I last counted my money I had around forty three dollars and sixteen cents in total hidden at the bottom of my pack. For you know extra scout stuff.

Returning the manga that was in my hand. I was also an enthusiastic fan of manga and dreamed of writing and publishing my own one day. I know the manga publishing giant TokyoPublications is always looking for fresh talent. Maybe I could get hired on with them. Anyway it's late, according to my watch it's now nine thirty at night. And I have, if I'm lucky, five hours of sleep ahead of me.

But for I turn out that light I want to tell you guys why I'm here. I'm here because I want to experience what this world has to offer. I want to write and draw a manga that has never been written or drawn before. As far as I can tell nobody has written or drawn a manga based on the American Boy scout Experience. Much less one based on Summer Camp. And the only way to really draw it is to live it. And I plan on living it.

I want to advance in scouts. And well, guys as I close my manga and place it tender back into my rucksack. I stand up to dim the lantern. I want to invite you to follow along with me. Because like I said, I also want to become a writer and the only way to really write is to know what you're writing about and to write from experience. That was my best friend Emily Anderson told me. And she was right. So join me if you will, as I chronicle these next twelve days and share with you all the highs, all the lows and all the misadventures.

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kickapoo

joannebarbarella's picture

Sounds like standing in something nasty and smelly, but I'm sure that's not where your hero (heroine?) is going to end up. Getting up at two thirty in the morning sounds a little extreme even for a possible concentration camp like Kickapoo. It will still be pitch black. What activities can the administration possibly organize at such an hour?

Don't keep us in suspense, Rebecca.

From what I remember.

Sunflowerchan's picture

That in the inky darkness of two thirty in the morning, we would be forced to stand in a clearing of trees and put through the paces. That included jumping jackets, push-ups, and a mad one mile sprint through the woods. Maybe that was just because I had a sado for a scoutmaster. And while this took place at Camp Hood, he often told us that this was how it was done in the old scouts back in Kickapoo. Thank you for the lovely comment Joanne. I hope you enjoy the story, this is my attempt at breaking writers block.

Count me in!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Nice start, Rebecca! The vivid description upfront brought the scene to light, and the internal monologue that followed showed a character both brooding and burning for life and adventure. “I'm here because I want to experience what this world has to offer.” I hope the world does not disappoint!

I had never thought of manga as a way to connect to a wider world, but once I read it, the idea made perfect sense. A manga scout, now . . . there’s a novel idea.

As a complete tangent, my son followed a manga for some years call “The Prince of Tennis.” Since I thought — wrongly — that manga were set in fantastic worlds, this surprised me. But I also thought the author had missed the perfect play in the title. Shoulda been The Doge of Tennis.

Emma

Prince of Tennis.

Sunflowerchan's picture

Was one of those manga's that always seemed more popular with the girls in my highschool anime club that the boys. Manga's like Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew seemed more popular with the guys, I think that because most guys liked reading manga aimed toward girls because of the plot? I asked a friend once why girls seemed more focused on Sports theme manga than boys, and she shrugged her shoulder and said she liked looking a pretty boys. But yes, the Sailor Moon Manga will play a leading part later on in series. If my tattered muse can hold up to the stress of writing! Thank you Emma, for the lovely comment. I hope you will follow me to the end of this little project.

you have me hooked

can't wait to see where you take this

DogSig.png

Hopefully.

Sunflowerchan's picture

Hopefully I take it to the full sixteen chapters I plan on releasing. Thank you Dorothy-chan for you lovely comment! I'm glad your on board!

Very Interesting...

Dee Sylvan's picture

I must admit, Sailor Moon is perhaps the only manga I could recognize. But I am wondering how a boy(?) scout is going to figure into a manga character and story. Good luck Rebecca! :DD TAF

DeeDee

Time will tell.

Sunflowerchan's picture

While I would like to say "Pokemon" was my gateway into the world of anime. I think that honor really belongs to "Sailor Moon" and "Dragon Ball Z". I think if you stick with the story, you will discover the answer to your question. I would give a hint. It has to do with a certain Sailor Scout that our main character wants to crossplay as but is scared stiff too. Thank you for your support Dee!