Chronicles of Sea Breeze: The Iskay Harvest Festival

Printer-friendly version

-1-
The Road to Isksay 

The village of Isksay is an idyllic little village located around ten leagues from Sea Breeze. The village is a small farming community and is best known for the many windmills that dot the surrounding hills. Each Autumn the village celebrates the bountiful harvest by holding a community wide celebration. Now even adventures need some down time. And so, upon hearing that annual harvest celebration was about to take place, I packed my bags and saddled up Coco and started toward Iskay

The road to Iskay cut through the open countryside. The Road also happens to be one of the few paved roads in the Storm Bay region. Black slate flagstones fitted tightly together paved the road and made traveling a breeze. The road was also well patrolled. So the threat of random attacks of roaming monsters that often haunted the countryside and Highwaymen was diminished some. 

And Coco seemed to be in high spirits. She seemed almost to sprint down the road. I sometimes wonder if this tiny little pony is not magical. She often seems to have a mind of her own and often or not seems to read mine. She is also stubborn as a mule and sometimes refuses to leave the comfort of her stable. The groomsmen at The Queen's Reward, the inn I kind of live at all, dote on her and treat her like a queen. No, scratch that, they treat her like a princess that to say they spoil her rotten.

“It feels good to be out in the open again does it not Coco?” I asked her as I peered toward the amber fields of grain that surrounded me. The sound of the field hands singing and joking as they harvested the wheat filled the air. Dozens and dozens of men armed with hand with scythes seemed to be bending their backs as they waded into the sea of wheat. Inch by inch, row by row they cleared a path through the waving waves of grain.

Coco of course being a horse only flicked her tail and raised her head a little. 

“I wish you could speak.” I said, sighing a little as I peered toward Coco. “You seem strange for a horse. Like there is a magic about you. You have carried me eight leagues since we left  from Sea Breeze and you  show no signs of tiring and have done so quicker than any pony should.” I added.

Coco just turned around and peered at me with her dark brown eyes and once again she flipped her tail. I expected she wanted to say something. Or was it just that my mind was playing tricks on me? Anyway the last two leagues passed in a blur. With nothing to see but fields of wheat, unbroken as far as the eye could see I found myself starting to snooze a little in the saddle. Only a few minutes here and there. If I feel too far asleep Coco it seemed would bounce me a little to wake me up. I still say that pony was a bit magical. Anyway the Sun was about a quarter away from setting when I first spotted the first signs of civilization. That sign being the road was turning from flagstone to cobblestone.

-2-
The Village of Iskay

The village of Iskay was a tiny village that was surrounded by fields of wheat, and would reach out as far as the eye could see if not unbroken by small hills. Atop each hill there could be seen a wooden windmill. The windmills were made of wood, and had black slate roofs. They kind of reminded me of the old Dutch windmills I'd seen pictures of in my last life. Each one had four blades that seemed to turn at a lazy pace. As far as the village of Iskay itself it was remarkably developed. 

The streets were paved in cobblestone. The houses were for the most part brick and the roofs were black slate. As one entered the village one would follow a road that was wide enough for two wagons to go down. The road ran for about a half a league and both sides of the road were lined with houses that seemed almost wedged together. 

Once one had gone around half a league, one would come to a large square. The square was paved in white flagstones and at the center of the square one would find a large fountain. The fountain was filled with cool, clean water. That seemed to bubble up from a spring that must have been hidden deep underground. Once I reached the fountain I noticed that this must have been the center of the village. Because the square seemed to be surrounded by shops.

The shops included a blacksmith shop, the sign pegged to the door of the blacksmith shop read “Closed for the day and tomorrow on account of the harvest celebration.”. Fair enough I guess the hard working village smithy and his apprentices needed a break from their daily work around the forge. Beside the blacksmith one would find a supply shop. A sign pegged to the door of the supply shop read. “We will be open tomorrow – Come shop with us!”  I guess even a greedy shopkeeper would not take a day off.  Shopkeepers by their nature it seemed were greedy and had a love of money above all else.

Across the square from the supply shop there could be seen a trading post. You could tell it was a trading post because of the sign that featured a set of scales hanging above the door. Another sign had been pegged to the door of the reading post. This sign read. “ George and Son Trading Post will be open all day tomorrow. Salt is cheap! Now is the time to buy!”  I guess the traders like the shopkeepers would not miss another day of trading for the world. They too were well known for their greed and lust for money.

Beside the trade shop there was a seamstress. Through the window of the shop I could see a dozen or so candles starting to burn as the seamstress and a half dozen young women, her apprentices most likely seemed to be busy working on orders. Another sign had been pegged to the door of her shop. That sign read. “Lauren and Daughters Seamstress Shop will be closing early today and will be closed tomorrow on account of the annual Harvest Celebration. Please pick up all orders today. We also sell ready to wear dresses for the women and good woolen shirts and jackets for the men. Come check out our holiday stock!” And under it somebody had written. “Coins only.”

And finally toward the end of the square there was a large, three story building. The sign above the doorway, a bed. And beside the bed a plate that was flanked by a knife and a fork. That building must have been the village inn. 

“Hmm, the village inn would be nice. I'm thinking a three day stay would be nice.” I said as I guided  Coco across the square toward the inn. Once I reached the inn door. I stepped down and removed my saddle bag. Coco turned her head around and eyed me for a few long moments. I sighed and then reached into the bag and pulled out a cube of sugar. 

“Here you go girl.” I said as I handed the cube of sugar to the horse who licked it right off my hand. I patted her neck and kissed her forehead a few moments later two well dressed groomsmen came out from around the inn. 

“Would you like us to stable your horse for the evening milady? Three marks a day is our going rate that includes fresh hay and us brushing her down each morning and evening.” He said.

I blinked and reached into my leather purse and tossed a golden crown toward the man. He caught the heavy golden coin with his greedy little hands and I swear his face lit up like starlight. I then turned to the boy standing behind him, his apprentice no doubt. And with a shrug of my shoulders I tossed another heavy golden crown toward him.

“See she is well stable and cared for. I'll be staying for a few days.” I said, taking a deep breath as I watched the boy slip the golden crown into his pocket. He offered me a quick bow as quickly he took the reins and nodded his head again.

“At once milady!” He said bowing again as he led Coco away. Coco tossed her head back and started to trout away. I swear I believe that pony had a mind and personality of her own sometimes. One thing was for sure, she was the smartest pony I'd ever seen. Sometimes I wondered if she was sent to look after me, or if she even needed me  after all. I shrugged my shoulders and put that thought out of my mind as I pushed open the old inn door.

-3-
The Golden Swan

“Welcome to the Golden Swan!” A young woman from behind the front desk said. She was dressed in a simple homespun gown that was light blue in color and her long brunette hair was tied back and ponytail and braided. The braid reached down to the small of her back. 

“Yes.” I said, taking a deep breath. “I was wondering if you have rooms available? I'm looking to spend a few nights here and I've already stabled my pony out back.”

“Oh well you're in luck we do have a few rooms available. Normally we are booked solid. Normally people come far as far away as Sea Breeze, Thorn and even Budehuc Castle.” She said smiling. “But this year it's been slow. Anyway would you like a private room or one a bed in one of our barrack style rooms.” She said. “A bed is half a crown and room is a full crown.” She then paused. “We have our Princess Chamber for rent too. It's our best room. It's a bit on the steep side. At two crowns a night. But it does include a private bathroom.”

“Three nights for the Princess Chamber..” I said, shrugging my shoulders. 

“Very well that would be six crowns please. Oh, a half crown tip is included for the maids.” She said with a little smile.

Again I sighed a little and reached once again into my leather purse and pulled out seven, large gold coins. Shaking my head I handed the coins to the woman behind the desk who smiled and handed me a large, metal key.

“Would you also like a meal plan? We pride ourselves on only serving the best food in town. Four breakfast, four lunches and four suppers for only three crowns.” She said smiling.

I blinked and blinked again as I reached down and pulled out three more golden coins and slowly I handed the coins to the woman. Who smiled and reached over and pulled a quill from a nearby ink well. She then dipped the tip of the quill into the ink and then reached down and opened a large leather book.

“Okay and who am I making out this reservation for?” She said with a small smile as she placed her ink down upon the paper.

“Jeanette Katherine Hood.” I said blinking. We were never this formal back at Sea Breeze, normally when somebody wanted a room they would just pay us for the room and we would hand them the keys to the room. Then again I rarely worked the front counter back at 'The Queens Reward' instead I was always either a serving maid or playing my fiddle or flute for a little extra income. If I was not doing that, I'd be sitting at a table in the back of the common room with my collection of friends, plotting out our next adventure.

“Jeanette Katherine Hood..” The woman said smiling as she wrote down my name in flowing script. “Okay, and here you go.” She reached under the desk and pulled out a set of keys. A long piece of wood with the words 'Princess Chamber' burned into it was attached to the keys via a long cord of braided leather.

“The key I gave you will only work on the room burned into the wood. So don't try to sneak into other people's rooms now. We've had people do that before. And as a warning, if you're caught trying to sneak into somebody else's room. Your reservation or what remains on it will become null and void. The town's guard will be called and you will be placed under arrest. And you will be banned from ever doing business with us again.” She said in a crisp business like manner that really took me back.

“Okay..” I said as I slowly backed away from the desk.

“Also keep in mind that trying to sneak into somebody's room will imply that you're a thief. And common law says that all thieves shall be branded on the side of the left cheek with the word 'Thief' given one hundred and twenty seven lashes on the bare back in the middle of the town square and barred from entering into the village again.” She said, smiling a little too sweetly.

“Is this common?” I asked as I raised an eyebrow. “People trying to sneak into other people's rooms?” I said folding my arms across my chest.

“Oh yes! We get a lot of strange folks here. Our town is located at the crossroads. So we get a lot of merchant trains passing through our town. You have merchants coming from Sea Breeze on their way to Hollywood Ferry, located at the far edge of the Storm Bay Region. It is also a major trading city with a large seasonal market. Its population might even rival that of Sea Breeze. Then you have Budehuc Castle to the South of us. The new master of that castle, a kind, young gentleman by the name of Thomas is really turning things around. He's declared the castle a trade free zone and is inviting merchants from all over the world to come there and set up shop. And of course north.” The woman explained as she folded her hands in front of her and bowed a little.

“Oh.” I said, sighing.

“Yes, forgive me if I came off as being a bit brash.”

“That's fine..” I said, taking a deep breath as I turned away from the desk and started toward the wooden stairwell. “I think I'll take a bath. Can I have my dinner brought to my room?” I asked.

“Of course.” The woman said with a grin.

“Wonderful.” I said as I placed on foot on the wooden stairwell. I was just about to start my climb when the woman once more spoke.

“Tonight's dinner is roasted leg of lamb, roasted garlic potatoes freshly dug from the field, and we grow our own garlic too! And the lamb was butchered today, so you can assured that everything would be as fresh as possible.” She said smiling. “We also have a fine selection of ales and wines. Water and tea comes free with every meal. But I'm afraid I'll have to charge you for the ale and the wine.” She quickly added.

“A pitcher of ice water will do.” I said blinking. “Have it brought up as soon as possible. I've been on the road all day and I'll be turning in early tonight.” And with that I once more turned my attention toward climbing the wooden stairwell. And that is how the first part of my adventure in the village of Iskay comes to an end.

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos