Chronicles of Sea Breeze: The Iskay Harvest Festival (2)

Printer-friendly version

-4-
An Interesting Proposal

Breakfast that morning was oatmeal, ham, and coffee. I was surprised to find coffee, now in my former life I'd been addicted to it. I used to drink whole pots of the stuff. But since coming here, after getting hit by some random magical truck one foggy morning I'd been forced to make due with tea. It seems coffee was one of the new trade goods that was flooding into the region from the newly free trade zone of Budehuc Castle, who under the management of its new master was quickly transforming itself from a backwater castle into a budding metropolis.

As I sipped my morning cup of coffee. I made a note to pay the castle a visit. Maybe after the harvest festival I could return to Sea Breeze and get my group together, and see how they would feel about moving our base of operations from Sea Breeze to Budehuc Castle. A grin crossed my face as I leaned back in my chair and folded my arms behind my back. Heck, I might even get the master of the castle to commission me as Captain of the Guard in his garrison. After all, my resume included defeating the goblin king, organizing the successful defense of the village of Thor from a band of bandits. And last but not least I had a band of faithful friends to call upon. And with the rumors proved to be true then Buduc Castle might soon become the center for trade and commerce in the Storm Bay Region. Heck I could even go into business for myself! Set up my own shop! Buy my own house! Maybe even buy a ship and start my own trading company! The sky was the limit.

“Pardon me.” A masculine voice said behind me. “But would you happen to Lady Jeanette?”

“Depends.” I said looking up from my bowl of Oatmeal. “Who wants to know?”

“Forgive me.” The masculine voice said. “My name is Wyatt, Wyatt Lightfellow. I'm mayor of Iskay and well. I was wondering if you could help us out a bit. May I please join you for breakfast?”

I blinked and blinked again.

“Of course Master Wyatt.” I said and to my amazement a tall, lean man with the body of a bean pole appeared in front of me. He had short white hair, and a neatly trimmed beard. He wore a form fitting, brown jacket and gray form fitting trousers with a brown belt pulled through the loops. His boots I could tell were of the highest quality of leather around and everything about him seemed neat and orderly.

“What do I owe this pleasure Master Wyatt?” I asked as I held up my hand a young serving maid came rushing over, she bowed to both Wyatt and I and started to clear away the dishes.

“Another cup of coffee please.” I said as I pointed toward my empty cup. The maid nodded her head and in gentle voice said to me. “At once milady.” She said as she clearedclear away the empty bowl of oat meal and the plate that held only the trimmings of my ham steak.

“I have an interesting proposal for you Lady Jeanette.” He said, threadingsaid threading his fingers together as he leaned in and peered into my eyes. “I also need your help with something, But that will come later.”

“I'm all ears.” I said smiling as the serving maid gently sat down my cup of coffee upon the table. Bowed her head and quickly rushed away to wait upon somebody else.

“How would you feel about volunteering for our towns dunking booth? My wife Anna Light Fellow had volunteer. But this morning she was taken with a chill and a bit of a fever. I called the wisdom of the town and she said she needs bed rest and tea. So her doing the dunking booth is out of the question.” Wyatt said as he started to rub the back of his head.

I blinked and raised an eyebrow.

“It is for a good cause, Lady Jeanette.” Wyatt said. “All money raised from the dunking booth goes to support our town's orphanage. We do our best to take care of the orphanages. We cloth them, and feed them, and while we may not feed them dainty, we see that each and every child gets at least three square meals a day. And at least one of those meals must include some form of meat, and cheese and a sweet. While not the most dainty of fares, the food is prepared with love and is hearty and rib sticking.” Wyatt went on.

I nodded my head.

“And when the child comes of age, we see that the various master craftsmen of the various guilds in town take in boys and girls who will be suitable for a trade. We believe that this system allows children, who would otherwise fall by the wayside to find meaningful employment in time, develop a set of useful skills and become part of the master or mistress family.” Wyatt said. “Of course this system requires a steady supply of money and while charitable donations from some weather citizens mostly cover the day to day running of the place. Short falls in the budgets do happen. Though rare, and so we often ask local celebrities to endure a little public humiliation. For charity of course.”

I nodded my head.

“So why do you want me?” I asked as I finished my coffee.

“Because, to be honest, you're pretty famous in the Storm Bay Region. Not only did you slay the fearsome Goblin King of the Peppercorn Mountains. But you organized the militia of Thorn village in defending their town from a bandit raid. And that you also managed to save from certain doom the ill fated expedition that left Sea Breeze.”

“I had help.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “I did not act alone.” I sighed and peered at Wyatt and then because it seemed fun. I've decided I'll accept his offer.

“Okay I'll do it.” I said, sighing as I called for another cup of coffee. Man I would need to buy some coffee beans from the trading post before I left town. I had no idea I'd miss coffee so much. This was like my third cup and I was starting to feel the effects. I had to make water now.

“If you will pardon me Master Wyatt.” I said, taking a deep breath as I bowed my head toward him. “But I must take my morning bath and use the privy.” I said as I nodded my head.

“Of course Lady Jeanette. May I ask you one last question before you go?” He said as he peered toward me with a little smile.

“If I might be so bold. Do you have a bathing suit?” He said as he reached his hand up, placed his hand on his head and laughed a little. I swear I saw a ghost of a blush coloring his cheeks.

“A bathing suit?” I asked as I tilted my head to the side and peered at him confused.

“A bikini. I've heard it also called. It's the latest in female swimming fashion. It's quickly replacing the old outdated swim dress. A talented seamstress in Budehuc Castle revealed it.” He said. “If not I can find you one.”

I blinked and blinked again.

“Sure, send it to my room, listen to me Master Wyatt. But I really have to take on some very  personal business. If you could be so kind as to leave a note at the front desk, telling me when and where I should meet you. And have the front clerk bring the bathing suit too. I will consider it a great flavor.” I said I was about to wet myself and my head was starting to spin.

“Of course of course. I shall.” Wyatt said as he bowed and with that we parted and I just barely made it to the bathroom in time!

-5-
So this is a Dungeons and Dragons inspired Bikini?!

After I'd finished my business in the bathroom. I'd decided to return to my room and get a quick bath. While I climbed the wooden steps, I started to muse over what I'd volunteered for. And once more memories of my past life started to come flooding back. I think I'd volunteered to staff the dunking booth once, maybe I was to go into one the morning that magical truck appeared out of nowhere and smashed me like a bowl of eggs. I shrugged my shoulders and heaved a sigh. As time went on, the memories of my former life grew dimmer and dimmer. I still had no idea why I'd ended up in this place. This is a different world.

Though at times it seemed to mirror the world I'd created with my friends in my past life. Sometimes I'd wonder if this was my afterlife. My own version of Heaven. I'd been force to read a book titled Five People You Meet in Heaven. I remember the book was about some guy, his name was Edward or something.. Anyway he died in a tragic accident at his dead end job. I think he was the maintenance guy at some kind of boardwalk amusement park. Anyway he moved through five different versions of Heaven, each one an ideal world for five different people he encountered or touched in his life on earth.

What I'm driving at is this, maybe this world is Gods, if there is a God's version of Heaven. That Heaven is tailored to fit the individual. All of these thoughts swirled around my head as I washed my hair, trimmed my fingernails and did a little bit of grooming. I'd just finished my bath when there came a knock on the door of my room.

“Come in!” I called out as I quickly threw a lose cotton robe around my shivering frame.

“Pardon me Lady Jeanette.” A petite woman dressed in a black dress with a white apron tied around it said as she entered the room. She seemed to be holding a white box that had a note attached to the front. “But Lord Wyatt, the Mayor of the village, said to give this to you. I was promised a crown if I gave it to you within the hour. Two if within a half an hour.” She said as she placed the box and note on the bed.

“Pray, please sign this receipt.” She said as she handed me a piece of paper.
“It shows that I'd delivered paper and the goods within half an hour of receiving them .” She said in a very polite, formal tone of voice.

I blinked and blinked again. And quickly I sighed. And because it felt right I reached over to my dresser and picked up three round Crowns. I handed the crows to the woman and smiled a little.

“Thank you.”I said with a smile as I handed over the three heavy, golden coins to the waiting hand of the woman. “And here is something extra for your troubles.” I said and with that the woman bowed her head to me and left the room. Leaving me once again along with my thoughts.

After a few minutes of mental debate, I reached over and lifted the top of the box. I then felt my cheeks flush a beet red as I peered down and noticed that laying in the bottom of the box were two very skimpy pieces of clothing. I felt my handles starting to tremble as I placed the top of the box to the side. With trembling fingers I reached down and pulled out the first piece of clothing, two triangle pieces of fabric that were connected with a thin string of fabric And the second piece of clothing was a very, short skirt. The fabric seemed odd in my hands.

“I'm supposed to wear this?!” I cried out as I put the items to the side and then I reached down and started to unfold the note that came with the package. Once I'd unfolded the piece of paper I started to read.

Lady Jeanette. The note started. Enclosed within you shall find the bathing suit you asked for. It's of the newest style and the latest creation of Madam Elizabeth Golden, a highly talented and widely acclaimed seamstress that has just established herself at Budehuc Castle. Please feel free to keep the bathing suit as a small token of my thanks for volunteering. The Dunking Booth will open a quarter past the bell that opens the market this morning. Please be there on time. You can't miss it. And again, on behalf of the children and the good citizens of the village. I Lord Wyatt Lightfellow, Mayor of Iskay Village thank you fair Lady Jeanette for volunteering.

And that's how another chapter came to an end.

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos