The Story of a Reluctant Southern Belle (8)

Printer-friendly version

I took a deep breath as I walked into the crowded sitting room. The room was filled with ladies drawn from all four corners of the Mississippi Delta. Ladies who like me wore fine summer dresses. The room was filled with chatter but the moment I walked into the room, the chatter stopped. All eyes it seemed zoomed in on me. I could feel their eyes peering at me. It was as if they were judging me.

“Ladies.” My Aunt Cat said as she put her cup of coffee to the side. “Please all me to introduce my niece.” She said, rising up from the chair. She then walked toward me and ushered me into the middle of the room. “Ladies this is my niece, Hailey Elizabeth Sharbrough.” 

The collected group of women just nodded their heads. It seemed their first impression of me was not a good one. I forced myself to smile as I bowed my head a little. The women just shrugged their shoulders and returned to their private conversations. I was a bit relieved it seemed that nobody really wanted to pay much attention to me. I settled into a forgotten corner of the room while the ladies drank their coffee or tea and chatted about the social life of the village.

A quarter of an hour passed in this manner till another guest appeared. A woman with bleach blonde hair, blue sparkling eyes, and a heart shaped face appeared in the doorway. At her side stood a young man, around my age. He, like the woman he was standing beside, had blonde hair, but his  was cut kind of short, blue eyes and what struck the most was his frame. Lean and muscular, with a dark peanut brown tan that was characteristic of those who work out in the field.

He was dressed in a white short sleeve shirt that was tucked into a form fitting pair of dark blue jeans. I could almost smell the earth around him. Then something happened, he turned around and smiled at me, and his teeth, oh his teeth were as white as pearls and straight as arrows. So to say he was handsome was a massive understatement. He was down right gorgeous. I felt my breath being taken away.

“Sorry, we're late ladies.” The woman said. “I decided since Cat is going to invite her niece, I should invite my grandson to the meeting.” The woman said as she reached over and pulled the young man into the center of the room. “Ladies, please meet my grandson, George Will Stoner.” The woman said in a proud tone of voice.

“Good afternoon ladies.” He said smiling as he looked around the room. Then his eyes seemed to settle on me, I felt myself starting to flush as his eyes traveled from the head of my body down to my feet.  After a moment he turned away from me, leaving my heart fluttering and my cheeks burning.

“Oh and this must be the lovely Hailey.” The woman said, smiling sweetly. “Come dear, tell us a little about yourself.” She said as she settled down into an open seat. George sat down beside her.

I blinked and blinked again.

“Oh yes ma''am.” I said, trying to remember my manners. “We'll. There nothing much to say about me, my name is Hailey Elizabeth Sharbrough.” I paused. “I'm the second child of Judith Mari Sharbrough.” I said blushing. “Whom according to rumor demanded her husband take the name Sharbrough when agreed to marry him to keep the name alive.” I said blushing a little as I pushed a few strains of hair out of my face.

A chorus of giggles filled the room.

That an old Sharbrough family tradition that anybody that marries into the family must take the family name. Strange folks your family. Anyway go on.” Mrs. Stoner said as she peered directly at me. “I should know I almost married into the family myself when I was your age. But that was a long time ago.” She added. 

“What brings you to Sharbrough's Landing?” Another woman asked. “We don't get many young people here in the 'Landing' the population is starting to shrink, though I dare say we are holding our own. As long as people use cotton, there will always be a need for people to grow cotton. As long as cotton is grown there will be the need for people to pick the cotton, as long as cotton is picked there will be the need to haul the cotton away. And Lord knows the railroad is cheaper than paying them rude, and ill mannered truckers to haul the stuff away. Cheaper means more money in the farmers pocket at the end of the harvesting season.” 

“I agree and there is something romantic about the old steam trains they still use. Turning the old Yazoo Delta Railroad into a heritage railroad was a saving grace for this town.” Another woman said with a small smile. “The children love come and see the old steam trains.”

I took another small sip of my coffee.

“I'm doing research, I've been commissioned by the Memphis Commercial Appeal to write a long article about the history and the development Sharbrough's Landing.” I said smiling. “I'm part of their 'Aspiring Future Writers' program. And they have promised me the princely price of twenty five cents a work upon approval of my long article.” I said smiling.

The women seemed impressed. And a mummer of approval ripped through the crowd.

“And because I am a Sharbrough. And because I come from the Delta. I decided that only somebody with Delta blood may understand it.” I said with a sigh as I sipped my coffee. Another ripple of slight approval went out through the crowd.

“That sounds lovely dear.” Another woman asked. 

“Yes, but where do you go to school? And what are your plans once you graduated?” Another chimed in.

Without missing a beat I said.

“Right now I'm attending St. Clare's Episcopal Academy in Vicksburg. It's a private, Episcopal Boarding School. But given the current direction of the Episcopal Church, my mother and father are thinking about having me attend Sharkey-Issaquena Academy, in nearby Rolling Fork. After graduating from there I plan to attend the Mississippi University for Women in Columbus.” I smiled.

“I plan on majoring in Nursing and Health Sciences.” I added.

“I have another niece that's a nurse, her name is Dawn Sharbrough.” Aunt Cat added. “Hailey and Dawn have always been close, so it's no surprise that she wants to follow in her footsteps and become a nurse. Her Mother was also a nurse, she use to work at River Regional Hospital in Vicksburg before it closed up, she transferred to the Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, its that huge hospital right off State and Fortification.”

I blinked and blinked again and decided to just roll with it.
“Wonderful.” Another woman said as she sipped her coffee.

“Anything else?” Another woman asked as she sipped her coffee.

“I can play the piano a little.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. The last part was not a little white lie but the truth. For the last nine years I've taken weekly lessons on learning the ends and outs of playing the piano. Mother had been amused when I wanted to learn how to play, father rolled his eyes and retired to the bird field to shoot at doves. 

“Oh! Wonderful would you mind playing something for us. A little light entertainment before we dive into the heart of the meeting.”

“Yes, please play us something.”

I blinked and slowly stood up and walked toward an old white piano that sat in the corner of the room. Slowly I pulled the old wooden bench out and slowly I eased my bottom down. Taking a deep breath, I gently removed the wooden cover that hid the keys. Thankfully I found some old, yellow pages of sheet music laying around. But the sheets the music belonged too would not have been my first or last choice. The popular ministerial song Dixie, was among the first songs to pop out and graph my attention. But this was a different version of Dixie, this song was called To Arms in Dixie.

Crossing myself and breathing a prayer for forgiveness at what I was about to do. I started to play And then I started to sing because why not, in for a penny steal a pound as the old saying goes.

“Southern men, the thunder mutters! Northern flags in South winds flutter! To arms! To arms! To arms in Dixie! Send them back your fierce defiance! Stamp upon the cursed alliance! To arms! To Arms! To arms, in Dixie!” 

Silence filled the room. But I kept playing, because why not, maybe I was singing off key, maybe my playing was terrible and they were now wishing they had never asked me to play. 

“Advance the flag of Dixie! Hurrah! Hurrah! To arms! To arms! To arms , in Dixie! Advance the flag of Dixie! Hurrah! Hurrah! To arms! To Arms! And conquer peace for Dixie!”

The room of old ladies stood there in stunned silence.

“Fear no danger! Shun no Labor! Lift up rifle, pike and saber! To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!Shoulder pressing close to shoulder let the odds make each heart bolder! To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie! Advance the flag of Dixie! Hurrah! Hurrah! In Dixie's land we take our stand, to live or die in Dixie! To arms! To arms! And conquer peace for Dixie! To arms! To arms! And conquer peace for Dixie!”

Again stunned silence. Well time to bring this show to a close. 

“Swear upon your country's altar never to submit or falter. To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie! Till the spoilers are defeated till the Lord's work is completed! To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!” I finished as I turned around and smiled. 

Then something happened that I was not expecting. The whole room stood up and started to softly clap. 

“Cat, you should be ashamed of yourself. Hiding such a wonderful, charming girl from the rest of us. And one who can play so beautifully too.” One of the women said as she turned to my Aunt Cat who only smiled. “Hailey should play tomorrow, I mean what would be a church without music! And we're having dinner on the grounds tomorrow too. It's a perfect way to introduce her to the congregation. Oh and George, George you should invite this charming young lady to dinner one evening”

I blinked and blinked again and George only seemed to smile at the suggestion.

“I would love to spend a bit more time with the lovely Ms. Sharbrough and get to know her a little better.” He said smiling. 

I slowly stood up. And turning around I returned George's smile with one of my own. Pushing the bench back, I stood up and walked over to where George sat, I then took a deep breath and in my  best southern belle tone of voice I said.

“And it would be my pleasure to get to know Mr. Stoner a little better. And it would be my pleasure. Mrs. Stoner to play tomorrow. And I look forward to seeing you all there tomorrow morning and getting to know you all a little better.” I said bowing my head a little.

“Oh Cat!” Another woman said, smiling. “She is a chip right off the old block! Such refinement! Such a breath of fresh air in this little village!” She said, clapping her hands. 

I turned my head around and tried to hide my blushing cheeks. But I couldn't help myself. I felt something just come over me, the words just popped into my head.

“If I might be so bold, may I ask that Mr. Stone please join me outside. I have prepared a pitcher of ice cold lemonade for your enjoyment. I made it with real lemons, real cane sugar and fresh water. I assure you it's none of that powder drink mix stuff or that premixed stuff you buy from the supermarket.” I said and just to make my point known I gave him a very coy smile. And much to my enjoyment I saw George just stand there blushing.

A chorus of giggles rose from the gathered crowd. 

George blinked and blinked again as he peered at me. A small smile formed upon his face as he peered into my eyes. He then held out his hand.

“It would be my pleasure to sit and visit with Ms. Sharbrough for a while. While ladies of the village conduct there business.” 

Another chorus of giggle rose up from the crowd.

I smiled and slipped my hand into his and I then guided him out of the living room. We stopped for a moment in the kitchen and thinking quickly I snatched the pitcher of ice cold lemonade from the fridge and two glasses from the cabinet and those in hand I guided him out the back door to the paved patio section of the back yard.

George followed behind me like a lost little kitten. I smiled as I turned around and gave him my best smile as I placed the pitcher of ice cold lemonade down upon the table along with the two tall glasses. Quickly I filled glasses.

“Are all Vicksburg girls this coy?” William said, smiling as he peered toward me.

“Only those who know how to handle themselves.” I said smiling as I picked up one of the glasses and handed it to him. A few seconds later he took the glass and took an uneasy sip. “Vicksburg girls are different from the Delta girls, we take what we want and once we get our hands on a prize, we never let go.” I said winking as I reached down and picked up my own glass. 

“Okay, a personal question then Ms. Sharbrough.” He said lifting his glass up and taking a deep drink. “Is there a boy awaiting your return in Vicksburg?” He said setting his glass aside once he had drained it.

“No, I'm free as a songbird in the greenwood.” I said smiling as I reached up and twirled a few strands of my hair around my fingers. “Also Mr. Stoner, is there a Delta girl who you fancy?” I said smiling as I took a little sip from my glass. The unfolding scene was so cheesy, so melodramatic that if I was watching it unfold and not playing an active part, I would burst out laughing.

“Not at this moment.” He smiled as he peered at me. “Ms. Sharbrough, would you mind, if I get your number?” He asked as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

“Only Mr. Stoner will give me his.” I said smiling. “Fair fair after all.”

George blinked and blinked again. After a few moments delay we exchanged numbers, no sooner had we exchanged numbers when swooping down upon us like a flock of doves came a dozen or so little old ladies of pure southern stock and breeding. All of them laughing up a storm, leading the column was my aunt Cat.

“Cat.” Mrs. Stoner said smiling. “That was such a wonderful meeting! We had such a wonderful time! And your niece, oh your niece was a breath of fresh air! We must invite her again sometimes! Next time, we shall have the meeting at my house!” Mrs. Stoner said.

My aunt said nothing but only nodded her head. 

“Well George.” Mr. Stoner said as she moved up to George. “I hope you've been nothing but a southern gentleman to Ms. Sharbrough.” She said as she gently took him by the hand.

“Mr. Stoner has been a perfect, Southern gentleman to me ma'am.” I said without thinking. “I hope that he and I will soon cross paths again.” 

A gale of laughter escaped the collective group of ladies.

“I say it again! She a breath of fresh air!” Mrs. Stoner said as she tramped arm and arm with George down the concrete driveway. Leaving Aunt Cat and I standing there, looking quite dazed and unsure of what had transpired. Once the last car had pulled away, Aunt Cat turned me and in a demanding tone of voice said.

“Hailey I trust you behaved yourself when you were with George.” She said, folding her arms under her breast as she cocked her head in my direction.

“I got his number.” I said, smiling a little.

“Lord.” she said, shaking her head. “I guess now is the perfect time to tell you, your father wants to stay in Europe for a little while longer. He wants to see Oktoberfest in Munich and your mom wants to spend Christmas in Paris and New Years in London.” She said, shaking her head.

“That's fine.” I said smiling. 

“You know that means we'll have to redouble your training.” She added as she peered at me.

“That's fine.” I said, still smiling.

“They promised to send you twelve hundred dollars a month.” Aunt Cat said smiling. “Your mom won something like two million euros on a scratch off lottery ticket or something. The same day your dad hit a million euro jackpot at gambling house a few miles from Paris.” 

“That's nice..” I said smiling.

“Well, looks like you're going to have a little summer romance.” Aunt Cat said as she shook her head and walked back up the driveway. “Once you're done daydreaming, come inside and help me clean up. Also we need to brainstorm on what we're going to take Sunday for dinner on the grounds.” 

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hailey is all in

Dee Sylvan's picture

Hailey is doing her best to become a Southern Belle. A little to flirt and keep George on his heels is executed flawlessly by our new heroine. I wonder if Hailey is going to be able to back up her bravado on their date. Hailey seems to be on a mission to make her Aunt Cat proud. It is becoming apparent that her newly rich parents are pushing Hailey to stay with Aunt Cat.

DeeDee

I do declare…….

D. Eden's picture

Miss Hailey has a beau. And apparently she is going to be around through at least the holidays.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

“That's fine”

I wonder if Miss Hailey is capable of saying anything else at this point? Aside from the slight variation “That's nice” that is. And will Miss Hailey be receiving any Christmas presents (of any significance) from Mr. Stoner?

At least Dad & Mom will be able to afford the private school tuition, and any other odds and ends expenses Hailey might need to incur. Like name changes, etc.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin