Learning What It Means to Be Tammy Beck Chp. 14

Printer-friendly version

Forty Miles Away from The Warehouse:
“Who puts a bomb on a school bus loaded with kids?” Tammy looks at Leland and Nyx.

They had located the bomb Jason Bush had given them the location of. Jason was right that she would have felt bad about letting these kids die. He made sure he had an ace up his sleeve.

“Do you know anything about disarming bombs?” Leland looks at Tammy for an answer to his question.

“No, my training didn’t include disarming bombs.” Tammy looks towards Nyx “you wouldn’t happen to know how to disarm a bomb, would you?”

“Ah, no. However, if you can get it off, without killings us. I can get it out of range of everyone.” Nyx scans the explosive device and if Tammy could somehow remove it. She could take it up into the air and throw it away from them.

“We could always wait for the bomb disposal unit.” Leland looks at both women.

“I wouldn’t count on it. Jason could set it off at any time.”

“What’s stopping him from doing it right now?” Tammy looks at Nyx with a puzzled look on her face.

“Me. I managed to copy the signal. Right now, I control it.” Nyx had scanned the signal Jason had and when they located the bomb she did another scan of the bomb.

“There might be one thing I can try, but I don’t know if it will work.” Tammy hopes what little magical training she has had will help them.

She concentrates on what she wants to do and centers herself. She gets as close as she can to the explosive device and starts to encase it in ice. She remembers somewhere that liquid nitrogen could freeze the triggering mechanism to buy a few minutes. She’s hoping, that encasing it in a block of ice will do the same thing.

“Here goes nothing.” Tammy draws on the energy the Earth has and channels it through her.

She forms the energy into what she wants and directs it to the bomb. The air around the bomb starts turning into a thick block of ice. She makes the ice seep into the device and freeze the whole internal device.

Tammy releases the energy back into the Earth as she feels drained. She is panting afterward and feeling tired. She looks at Nyx “now! Grab it and get it out of here.”

Nyx crawls under the bus and breaks the block of ice off and flies up as high as she could with her jetpack and throws it as far as she could.
The next thing she knows the explosive device goes off a good way away from her. She flies back down towards Leland and Tammy. The signal she had been coping, with had stopped just after it was encased in ice.

Leland helps Tammy up off the ground and supports her. He could feel she was drained. That was only the second time she has ever done anything like that.

“Are you alright?” Leland was concerned about his wife.

“I’m fine, just a little weak. I want that bastard.”

Just as she says those words, an explosion could be heard off in a distance. The two of them look up towards the sky to make sure Nyx wasn’t falling towards the Earth. They watch as Nyx comes flying back to them. She lands a few feet from them.

“That was impressive.” Leland had to admit that during all his years, he has never experienced anything like that.

“Thanks! Now let’s go and capture Jason and his men.” Nyx wanted these bastards now.

“Sounds good to me.” Leland wanted to go and capture Jason Bush.

All three of them get into Leland’s SUV and drive back to the warehouse. Tammy was still feeling weak, but she could still fire her guns. Nyx checks her weapons as well. She wanted a rematch with Jason Bush.

When they arrive and enter the building, Jason and his people were gone. It looked like they had to abandon everything, including the armor he stole.

“I wonder why they left everything?” Tammy and Leland were puzzled.

“Because I disabled the armor.” Nyx checks the armor and notices the virus she uploaded into it, had done its job.

“I want to know where they went?” Leland was in his hybrid form and ready to kill someone.

“Let’s see if we can find some answers here.” Tammy wanted to arrest Jason Bush.

Nyx tackles what electronics were left behind. Leland sniffs around to see what they had been up to or have left. Tammy, looks through the trash and looks for any clue where they could have gone too.

“These guys are pigs.” Tammy couldn’t believe all the junk food they had been eating.

“You have to remember, Tammy. Us geeks live on junk food and energy drinks.” Nyx had taken her helmet off and was using what equipment had been left behind to scan some damaged hard drives.

“I’m getting nothing.” Leland reverts to his human form and walks over to Nyx.

Nyx looks at Leland “I always thought people like you were made up stories by horror authors.”

“That’s what we wanted you to think.”

“Why? Why not come out and let people know you exist?” Nyx was curious as she kept digging through the damaged hard drives.

“Because too many religious fanatics would come after us. We already have a problem with two organizations that have been around for centuries waging war against us. Plus, we don’t want a bunch of psychos asking us to turn them.” Leland has known a few Weres in his past that had made that mistake.

“Hey guys, I have something.” Tammy found the fuel for the jet packs.

Nyx and Leland walk over to where Tammy was standing. Leland could smell the fuel as he got closer to the fifty-gallon drums. Nyx lets out a whistle “that’s a lot of fuel.”

“Where could you get this much fuel?” Tammy wonders what else it could be used for.

“There are several locations you can get this much fuel at. However,” As Nyx walks over to the barrels and checks the blend of it.

“What is it, Nyx?” Tammy was curious.

“This is fuel for something else. This isn’t jetpack fuel.” Nyx knew enough about jetpacks from building them to know this fuel couldn’t be used in them.

“Then, what is it used for?” Tammy and Leland were curious.

“There’s only one vehicle I know of that uses this type of fuel.” Nyx had investigated something of what she was thinking.

“Well! What are you thinking about?” Tammy wanted to know.

“A Skycar. It’s capable of vertical take-off and landing similar to a helicopter. Also, you don’t need a pilot license to operate one.” Nyx wanted to buy one.

“So, between us chasing the bomb down and coming back here. Jason and his guys used one to get away from here.” Leland wonders where Jason was getting all this funding.

“There are two ways you can get one of these. Build one, which you must be very technical and have some mechanical ability. Or you can buy one from two different companies that build them.” Nyx looks at Tammy and Leland.

“We’re going to need satellite access to see if one flew from here.” Tammy didn’t want to call Gina, but now she had no choice.

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gina will be happy to helo.

Samantha Heart's picture

She'll call Morgana & her company to find it. Gina will not like to hear he got a way, but will help find him.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

The kids were more important at the moment

Jamie Lee's picture

Putting a bomb on a school bus proves Jason isn't fit to live much longer. He's the type of person who only cares about himself and what he wants. No one, absolutely no one, is important to him and he just proved it.

Let's hope, when he's found, he tries to fight it out. Thereby giving the three a reason to kill him, not that they'd actually need his fighting back.

Others have feelings too.