Chapter 12 - Halloween

Printer-friendly version

Link: Lost Faith Title Page and Description

CAUTION - emotional pain/open emotional wounds

--

Sitting at the vanity in her room, Erica watched the mirror while her aunt finished braiding her hair into two pigtails that came down the side of her head. The costume had been dropped off the day before and fit perfectly. With the shoes, dress, red braided pigtails, and a picnic basket with a small stuffed Cairn Terrier sticking up out of one side, she was the perfect image of Dorothy Gale. Watching her aunt tying off the blue ribbons at the end of her pigtails, she smiled at the reflection, still happy to see her young mother reflected back at her, even through her costume.

"There!" Heather exclaimed. "All perfect! Now don't pull on the ribbons or they'll come undone and your braids will come out, alright dear? I need to go change into my costume, so I'll be downstairs in a while."

"Yes, Aunt Heather!" Erica chirped. Picking up her basket, she practically skipped out into the hallway. As soon as she reached the marble hallway, she heard her footsteps louder than ever as each step was accompanied with a sharp double 'Click!' from her sparkly red shoes. The sound made her almost giddy, it made her feel so girly and feminine.

Walking toward the stairs, she met Franchesca coming the other way.

"Don't scrape your feet on the floor in those things, girl!" she barked. "If you scrape up the floor, it'll take me a week to buff it out!"

Lightening her step, she nodded her head at the maid. "Yes, Miss Franchesca." Erica watched as the grumbling woman sped her way past her to her aunt's bedroom, no doubt to assist with dressing her. Making her way down the stairs, she had to step carefully as she noticed that the shoes lacked any sort of tread and were a little slippery on the marble flooring.

Faith was adjusting her nurse's cap for the tenth time in the entryway mirror when she saw her cousin stepping carefully down the stairs. "Oh, Erica!" she cried. "You look beautiful! I'm so glad you're Mamma's Dorothy! You look way better in it than I did!"

Blushing as she reached the bottom step, Erica looked down. "Thanks Faith! I really do love the dress! And the shoes! They're just perfect!"

Looking at the basket, Faith giggled. "Miss Fuller did a great job with your Toto! It really looks like the dog from the movie!"

"Yeah, I think it really sells the whole costume!" Twirling around, Erica watched the skirt of her dress flare out before falling back to her legs. Looking at her cousin she remarked, "Your costume looks really neat! But should you have a stethoscope? I thought only doctors used those?"

"No, nurses use them, too." Faith answered with a shake of her head. "They use them before the doctor to take a patient's heart beat and blood pressure."

"I guess so." Erica shrugged. "Is that a real one or just a toy?"

"It's a real one! Mamma took it out of the first aid kit!" Faith put the ends in her ears and stepped up to her cousin. "OK, let me hear your heartbeat, Dorothy!" Placing the stethoscope on her cousin's upper left chest, she giggled. "I can hear it! Your heart beat's fast, Erica... I mean... Dorothy!"

Looking down shyly, she skipped her foot across the marble floor and marveled at the sound it made. "I guess I'm a little nervous. I'll be meeting lots of new people tonight."

The sun getting low in the sky, the two girls bantered back and forth for half an hour before they heard someone coming. Erica's eyes widened and her jaw dropped as she saw her aunt descending like Glinda in her bubble, as smooth as the silk in the woman's dress, which was an exact copy of the one worn by the Good Witch of the North in the classic movie.

"Wow!" Erica breathed out slowly. "Aunt Heather, you look beautiful!"

Heather blushed at the compliment as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "Thank you, Dorothy Gale!" she joked, waving her wand over her niece. "You are most definitely, a good witch!"

The comment made Faith giggle. "You do look very pretty, Mamma!"

"Thank you, dear." she hummed.

A moment later, Fredrick appeared from the kitchen, dressed in a fine chauffeur's jacket and cap. "Are you ready to depart, Madame? Miss Faith? Miss Dorothy?"

The girl in pigtails giggled and curtsied lightly. "Thank you, Fredrick! Is it time to follow the yellow brick road?"

He allowed himself a slight smile. "Indeed, Miss. However I believe that we shall not be going to Oz this evening. May I?" he asked, extending his hand to the young girl.

Taking the offered hand and blushing, she let him escort her out the door and to the waiting limousine, followed by her aunt and cousin. Just as Cook was about to close the door, Franchesca yelled from the staircase.

"Don't you three dare move a muscle!" she bellowed, racing down the stairs. "I swear, you people don't know nothin' about anythin'! Just wait there!" she ordered as she readied her camera. "Alright, now you girls stand in front of Mrs. Hargrave. Fredrick! You get yourself out of the picture! This is for them, not you!" she barked.

Moving to the side, he stood patiently while Franchesca snapped pictures in rapid succession. Then, having Faith move to the side, took several of Erica and her aunt by themselves. Once she seemed satisfied, Erica spoke up.

"Miss Franchesca? Could you take a picture with me and Fredrick?"

His eyebrows shot up in his faint note of surprise. "Me, Miss Erica?"

She proudly stepped over toward him. "Yes you, Fredrick! And it's Miss Dorothy, if you please! After all, you are our carriage driver for the evening, even if it isn't pulled by the Horse of a Different Color!" she smiled as she gestured toward the car.

A lump formed in Fredrick's throat. "I'd be honored, Miss Dorothy." he intoned formally as he stood ramrod straight.

With Erica standing in front of the huge man, he placed his hands protectively on her shoulders while Franchesca took a few pictures. Once done, the girl took Fredrick by the hand and pulled him toward the maid. "Now Fredrick, would you take one of me and Franchesca?"

Franchesca balked. "What, me? Looking like this? Are you out of your cotton picking mind, missy?"

Looking up at the maid with pleading eyes, Erica melted the maid's heart with one word. "Please?"

"Oh, alright!" she gave in. "But be quick about it, Fredrick! They don't have all night and it's getting cold out!"

Taking the camera while Erica turned and stood in front of the woman, Fredrick took a few pictures of Erica standing in front of a very stern looking Franchesca with the house in the background. When they finished, Erica turned to her and said, "Thank you, Aunt Em!"

Franchesca blinked rapidly in surprise; her mouth hanging open. "Aunt Em!? Why..." Her fury was lost in the sweetness of the sentiment. Huffing as she tried to be mad, eventually she just stormed back to the house, refusing to take the camera from Fredrick. "Keep it! You might think about taking some pictures with it tonight, if you can be bothered to remember!"

Theresa waited by the front door, smiling as Franchesca stomped her way up the steps. "Why, Francine! Are you tearing up?"

The middle-aged woman shook her head. "Of course not! It's just cold out! And don't call me that! My name's Franchesca, if you please!"

The two watched as Erica, Faith, and Heather climbed into the car, followed by Fredrick getting in the front seat. Cook waved at the three of them as they drove off. "I hope they have a good time." she wished.

While the trio rode to the party, Erica began to fidget with her braids.

"Careful sweetie, you don't want to pull them out." her aunt warned again.

Dropping her hands into her lap, she let out a deep breath, hoping it would take the nervousness out of her with it. "Yes, Aunt Heather. I guess I'm still a little nervous."

Her aunt smiled at her. "I'm sure you'll have a lovely time." Noticing her distracted daughter she asked, "Faith? Are you alright?"

Snapping her head around away from the window, Faith looked at her. "Huh?" she asked distractedly. "Oh, I'm fine, Mamma. Just thinking."

"About what, dear?"

Faith adjusted her nurse's cap once again. "Just wondering if anyone will think it's weird that you two are dressed for The Wizard of Oz and I'm just a plain old nurse." She adjusted the dark half-cape she wore that was now bunched up behind her back.

Her mother looked at her lovingly. "You look lovely, dear. Stop worrying! Your costume is perfect for you."

"Yes, Mamma." she replied uncertainly, turning to the window once more.

Erica tried to cheer her up. "Faith? I think you look prettier than I do. I almost wish we could trade!"

"Oh no, Erica!" she exclaimed as she turned back to face her cousin. "You look much better as Dorothy than I did! You don't even need a wig!"

Tugging at her braids, Erica sighed. "I wish my hair was a little longer, though. I guess I just need to be patient."

"You can be my patient!" Faith giggled.

The two others in the car groaned at the pun as they sped toward the party.

The car pulled off the highway, lurching down the dirt road toward the Dempsey's house. Erica could see lights around the outside of the barn, glowing in a thousand brilliant orange twinkling points. The huge doors were closed, but she could see light spilling out from every window, making the building shine on the scattered spots of snow surrounding it.

The sun had only gone down a few minutes before and several children were still roaming around the corral with the ponies. A small wagon could be seen pulling to a stop next to the barn, several teenagers clambering down from the back that was loaded with hay for them to sit on, while more waited beside it for their turn... each holding hands with another. A shriek penetrated the exterior of the car as they pulled to a stop, the shrill happy cry of one of the children running through the frosty pumpkin patch.

Once Fredrick opened the car door, Heather emerged first, followed by Faith. Erica suddenly found herself terrified to leave the security of the limousine and only started to exit after her aunt told her to come along. The cold air assaulted her nose, along with the scent of horses, hay, and wood smoke coming from the chimney of the main house. She could almost taste the pumpkin pie that lingered on the air as they approached the barn. She was vaguely aware of her aunt exchanging greetings with several people as they made their way, feeling the crunch of frozen dirt underneath her shoes.

She was also aware that their approach was garnering a lot of attention from those outside. She watched blankly as several groups of people turned to each other, obviously talking about the trio as they would huddle together and talk amongst themselves with occasional glances their way. Blushing and looking away, she moved closer to her aunt and took her free hand. She heard Faith greet several other children, making comments on their costumes and thanking them for their compliments on hers.

Following her aunt into the barn, Erica's eyes had to adjust to the bright atmosphere. Lights decorated every part of the building, lighting every corner and crevice in a cheery way. A long table covered in food sat along the wall to her right while a dance floor and speakers took up the area to her left, pumping out the lively recorded tune of an Irish fiddle. Ahead were tables and chairs, most empty, where guests could sit and enjoy the hospitality, while simple log benches lined the far wall.

Heather smiled brightly as one of their hosts approached. "Michael! It's so good of you to invite us again!"

Michael Dempsey approached the three, eating up the distance in a few broad steps. "Heather! Sure'n it's glad Ah am ye' could come!" Having emigrated from Ireland only twelve years earlier, his brogue was still thick, Erica straining to understand him. "So what's this, now? Two iníon? Ah could o' sworn ye' had only one las' time Ah checked!"

Laughing, Heather explained their third guest. "Michael, I'd like you to meet my niece, Erica. She's come to live with us." Pulling the girl out in front of herself, she watched as Mr. Dempsey lowered himself down to Erica's eye level.

"Erica, eh? Sure'n yer name won't be Katherine or Sinead? What part o' Eire do ye' come from? With hair like that, she's dotey and must be Gaelic! You wouldn't be chancin' me arm, now would ye'?"

Furrowing her brow, Erica stammered, "I... um... huh?"

Michael laughed merrily and slapped his knee. "S'alright, darlin'. Me name's Michael and Ah'll be happy ta' know ye', Erica." He extended his hand to the girl and shook it gently as she took his. Straightening up with a groan, he looked around at the guests. "Well, me Mot air back in th' Gaff fixin' up more ta' eat. That gal be up ta' ninety every year fir this!"

Having gotten used to his brogue, Heather understood and looked back toward the main house where his wife was preparing more food for their guests. "Will Emma be joining us later?" she asked, having to shout a little over the music that seemed to be getting louder by the minute.

"Ah should think so." Michael grinned before he looked at Faith. "Faith, me darlin'! Now don't ye' look deadly! You gun take care o' me in me old age, cailín óg? Sure I could use nursin' from a dote like you!" Lowering his voice so only she could hear him, he added, "Jus' dun be tellin' me Mot! She's fiery jealous o' pretty girseach makin' time wi' her fella!"

"Sure, Mr. Dempsey!" Faith blushed. "Do you really like my costume?"

The man patted her on the shoulder, not able to pat her head due to her cap. "Aye, girseach! Savage ta' be sure!" Looking back up at Heather, he nodded as his smile faded. "Well, if'n you be excusin' me, I need th' Jacks!"

As he made his way out of the barn, Erica turned to her aunt. "Aunt Heather? Did you understand anything he just said?"

"Yes, sweetie." she answered. "But I've known Michael for many years. His wife Emma and I are very good friends, so I've managed to learn a little Irish Gaelic over time. He asked you what part of Ireland you come from, said you were cute, and that your red hair means you must be from Ireland. Then he asked if you were trying to fool him."

Erica gulped. "Fool him?"

"Into thinking you weren't Irish, sweetie." she explained. "As for the rest... well... let's just say he's been enjoying the party a bit much!"

Leading the two girls to an empty bench alongside the far side of the barn, they were stopped and greeted several more times by other guests who all seemed enchanted by the shy new addition to Heather's family. Erica didn't say much, other than the occasional "Thank you." accompanied by blushing at their compliments in regards to her costume.

Sitting down on the log bench, its surface sanded and polished until it shone, less than a minute went by before Heather was approached once more. Erica saw the man walking up wearing a black tuxedo, complete with a cane, top hat, and a small black domino mask. He was tall and thin with dark wavy hair that was matched with a small but neat mustache.

"Heather?" he greeted her. "Would you care to join me?" indicating the dance floor.

She smiled politely and nodded, letting him help her back to her feet. "John? First I would like you to meet my niece, Erica. Erica? This is John William. He's an acquaintance of mine."

Erica only nodded to him shyly.

John bowed to her with perfection. "Charmed, I'm sure. Shall we, Heather?"

While he escorted her to the dance floor, Faith leaned in and whispered to Erica. "He's always wanting to take Mamma out on dates, but she won't go with him. She says he's too slick."

Looking over at the two of them dancing, Erica glowered. "So why is she dancing with him then?" she asked.

"Mamma says dancing is just for fun and he is a good dancer." Faith shrugged. "Besides, it's considered rude to refuse a request to dance." Just then, a preteen boy dressed as a vampire walked up in front of the girls.

"Hi, Greg." Faith greeted him nonchalantly before turning her attention back to Erica.

"H-Hi!" he nervously stammered out. "Faith? You wouldn't care to dance, would you?"

She turned back and smiled genuinely at him. "I'd be happy to, Greg!" she replied, extending her hand for him to help her up. Making her way to the dance floor, she looked back at her cousin and smiled.

Now sitting alone and watching her cousin and aunt dance, Erica's thoughts drifted to two days earlier when her cousin first taught her how to dance. She smiled at the memory of her dream about dancing with April, but it melted when she remembered the following day.

Erica almost ran up the stairs after eating breakfast and saying goodbye to her aunt. She knew Franchesca would want a lot of help, and she was determined to be as helpful as possible. Approaching her aunt's open bedroom door, she saw the maid inside making the bed.

"Good morning, Miss Franchesca." she greeted her cheerily. "Would you like help with anything?"

Franchesca looked at the girl standing in the doorway. Her brow furrowed in suspicion. "Just what are you up to, young lady?" she interrogated. "The only time anyone offers to help me around here is when they want something. So what is it?"

Clasping her hands in front of her skirt, Erica looked down at her feet. "Well, I was hoping, if you wouldn't mind later, after I help you, if you would let me use your computer to go online and check email and things?"

The maid nodded. "Ah ha! So that's it! I knew there had to be something!" She was finishing straightening the bed covers when she looked over at the hopeful girl waiting expectantly. "Well, don't just stand there, girl! Go into the bath, gather up the laundry, take it downstairs, and add it to the laundry pile! Sort it into light colors, darks, delicates, and bleachable whites. Got it? Oh, and make sure you set aside any hand wash items separate from the others."

Erica smiled and lightly bobbed. "Yes, Miss Franchesca!" Rushing into the bathroom, she did as instructed and was soon on her way down the stairs with her arms loaded with her aunt's laundry. Faith was sitting in the living room reading when she saw her cousin.

"Erica?" she inquired. "What are you doing?"

She paused and looked around the laundry bundle in her arms at her cousin. "Helping Franchesca. What does it look like I'm doing? Painting?"

Faith tilted her head. "But why?"

Pausing again after only taking one more step down the stairs, Erica sighed. "Because she needs help!"

Shaking her head slightly in confusion, Faith pointed out, "But you're doing her job."

Sighing frustratedly after one more step down, Erica turned to her again. "That's the point Faith! I'm helping her now so she can help me later."

"Help you with what?" Faith asked, still confused.

She didn't answer for a moment so she could get more than one step down per question, otherwise at the rate she was going it would be noon before she even reached the bottom step. Once at the bottom, Erica turned her body to the side to look at Faith around the clothes piled in her arms. "With getting online. I want to check email and stuff and Franchesca is the only one with a computer."

"Freddie has one, too." Faith advised.

Her cousin started toward the laundry room. "But Fredrick isn't here." she retorted, shaking her head as Faith finally shrugged and went back to her book. Carrying the bundle through the kitchen and into the laundry room, Erica began sorting it as instructed. Within half an hour she had all the loads sorted and felt very accomplished when Franchesca came in.

The maid inspected the piles and nodded in satisfaction. "That'll do. Now get into that library and start clearing out the desk in the northeast corner."

Erica started to leave, then stopped and turned back to the maid. "Which way is northeast?" she asked innocently.

Rolling her eyes, she pointed in the four cardinal directions. "South! West! North! East! Northeast is the corner that's around the corner and to the right when you go in the library door! Don't you know anything?"

Theresa barged in following her harsh instructions. "Now Francine, don't bark at the girl! She's only trying to be helpful! How in blue blazes should she know which way is north here? She's only lived here three days!"

"She knows which way the sun comes up doesn't she?" Franchesca barked at Cook. "She should since it comes in her bedroom window every morning! That's East the world around... and don't call me Francine!"

The cook waved a hand dismissively. "Oh, quiet! Go on, Erica. Tend to your task and I'll see to it Faith and Franchesca are in to help you shortly."

The maid put her hands on her hips defiantly as Erica left the laundry room and ran out the kitchen door to the dining room. "Oh? And who put you in charge of the household? You can just be in charge of that kitchen! Leave the rest of the house to me!"

Lifting her nose in the air, Theresa looked down her nose at the harsh maid. "In that case girlie, you can cook your own meals and find a way to do it that doesn't come into that kitchen!" Turning, she sashayed out of the laundry room haughtily.

Fuming as she pursued Cook, Franchesca wagged a finger at her. "Now listen here, you! Just because..." She was interrupted as she stepped through the open archway into the kitchen.

"Stop!" Theresa shouted. "Not one step further until you've helped that girl fix up the library! Don't think I was kidding when I said you could scrounge up your own food until you do! Now, out!" she yelled, wielded her wooden stirring spoon like a battle-axe, and chased the maid back into the laundry. "Out, out, out!"

"Well!" breathed Francesca in frustration. "Of all the... you can't... Ooooo!" She stomped her foot in frustration and charged back into the laundry to quickly start the first load.

Turning to the right as she entered the library, Erica found the desk and saw it was covered in books, papers, pens, boxes, and assorted office supplies. Sighing, she dived into the mess. Before anyone had made it into the room to assist, she'd emptied the entire desktop and returned every book to its proper place on the shelves. The boxes of office supplies sorted, she found places for them in the desk drawers and cleared the loose papers into a single pile. Erica had just sat down when Franchesca came in with Faith in tow.

"What are you doing missy! Loafing on the job?"

"Oh no, Miss Franchesca!" Erica stood quickly. "I just finished the desk! All that's left is this pile of papers I collected off of it. A grownup will have to decide what gets done with those."

She looked at the desk and started going through the drawers while Faith looked at her cousin in amazement.

"You did all that by yourself?" the older girl asked.

"Uh-huh!" Erica nodded. "I'm really good at organizing!" she joked, making reference to Faith's comments two days earlier.

The maid finished by wiping her finger across the desk. "Well, it's still dirty, but I'll take care of that. You two, clear out! I still have a lot of work to catch up on!"

Standing and waiting as Faith left the library, Erica looked at the woman. "Miss Franchesca?" she asked hopefully.

Looking up, she scowled. "What are you still doing here?" Realizing after a moment that the girl was waiting for an answer to her earlier request, she nodded knowingly. "Oh. Well, I'll come get you when I have time, girl."

She twisted back and forth in place slightly, twirling the hem of her skirt. "Is there anything else I can help you with, then?"

Losing patience, she leaned on the desk. "Yes! You can help me by skedaddling! Shoo!" She waved her hands at Erica dismissively.

Several hours passed while Erica sat and read 'Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm'. She was deep into the story when she heard from the top of the stairs, "Well? I thought you wanted to use my computer?" asked Franchesca. "Change your mind?"

Erica closed the book and stood quickly. "No, Miss Franchesca! Coming!" She walked quickly up the stairs and joined the maid as she walked past her and Faith's room.

"Now I want to make this clear. You can use my computer for twenty minutes! Got that? No more! I get a twenty minute break and I won't have you in my room when I'm not there!" As Franchesca spoke, the two made their way to the end of the hall near her aunt's bedroom door and turned left down a smaller hallway with four doors, two on each side. Franchesca opened the first one on the right and Erica followed her in.

The room was decently sized, about the size of most bedrooms Erica had lived in, but much smaller than her and Faith's shared room. The double bed took up most of the room, with cedar nightstands on either side of it. The room was immaculate with not a speck of dust anywhere and no clutter. The wall opposite the bed had a matching dresser, wardrobe, and a desk instead of a vanity. The only piece that looked out of place was the chair for the desk, which was more like an office chair than fine furniture.

"Alright!" Franchesca barked. "You can sit there and do what you need to do. I'll be watching from my bed while I relax... so no funny business! I don't want to see anything inappropriate on that screen, you hear?"

Erica nodded and smiled. "Yes, Miss Franchesca! I promise!" Quickly sitting and grabbing the mouse, she opened up a browser and entered in her email homepage. While April's parents could stop her from calling, texting, and emailing using her cell phone, they couldn't stop April from using her school email account. Checking her messages, she was worried that she hadn't gotten anything from April. Hoping that she would have found a way to reach out to her, she started drafting an email to go to April's school address.

"Dear April,

I am OK. I arrived in New Hampshire Tuesday afternoon and there was a long cab ride to my aunt's house, so I didn't get in until it was getting dark. Right after I got here, the power went out and stayed out until last night. There's no cell service here, so Internet and an old phone are the only ways I have to reach you. (and Internet doesn't work if the power's out) I tried calling you on Wednesday, but your parents wouldn't let me talk to you. They said you were sad and told me never to call you again because it would just make you sadder. They changed your cell number and email, but I know you can still get email from me at school. I miss you very much!

Things are OK here. I got to see snow yesterday! Real snow! My cousin Faith and I made snow angels and built a snowman! My aunt is nice and so are Fredrick, (he's the butler and chauffeur) Cook, (who does all the cooking) and Franchesca, too. (she does the cleaning and works really hard... she's strict, but I know she's nice)

I don't know how often I can write. I want to tell you SO much! Things are REALLY different here. We're going to a Halloween party on Sunday and everyone wears a costume. Even grown-ups! I'm going to be Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz! The house is really old and even when the power went out we still had lights because the house uses a light called a gaslight that works without electricity. They're all built into the walls like normal lights, but they get turned on and off like a camping lantern! It's kind of cool!

I hope you aren't sad when you get my message. I don't want you to be sad, but I know how you feel. I was so sad when I had to go and still hurt inside a lot from missing you. You're the best friend I ever had and always will be!

I don't have a lot of time. Franchesca was nice enough to let me use her computer on her break, but I don't want to take too much of her time. So I'll try to write you again soon.

Love,
Erica"

She smiled as she sent the email and glanced at the time. Erica saw she still had several minutes left, so she brought up Facebook and looked at her contact list, but April wasn't on it and there was a notification that she'd unfriended her. Crestfallen that April's parents had gotten to this too, she noticed a few odd things. Perplexed, she looked at the pictures of her old life on her homepage and felt a twinge of discomfort when she saw the death notice written by Eric and all the condolences for her loss from her grown up friends. Shaking her head dismissively, she took comfort in knowing that her email would get to April through the school.

Just as she was closing Facebook, she saw a notice in her email inbox. Excited, she switched to it and read the subject line. Her smile vanished when she saw it was a notice telling her that her email couldn't be delivered.

Franchesca had been watching the entire time, holding back tears at the girl's inability to reach out to her friend and take small comfort in that last connection to her life as it had been. Shaking herself, she got up off her bed and decided she would help in the only way she knew how, by eliminating the reminder of her sadness.

"Alright, missy! That's enough." she growled. "Close it down and get on with your own things. My break's almost over and I have a schedule to keep!"

Dejected, Erica stood up and started shuffling toward the door. "Yes, Miss Franchesca." she mumbled.

Exiting the room, Franchesca stopped the young girl and turned her around to face her. "Erica, I want you to know, I... well..." Unable to formulate the right words, she wrapped her arms around Erica and held her tightly while the child silently cried on the woman's shoulder. She soothed away her sadness with comforting pets on the girl's head. "It's alright, dear. I know. It's all confusing and it hurts, but it'll all be alright."

After a short time, Erica stopped crying and nodded at the older woman. "Th-thank you, Miss F-Franchesca. I... I'll be alright."

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Working through things

RobertaME's picture

Emotional trauma can be tough to work through, but there's one good thing about doing so... it does get easier.

Eventually Erica will work through her feelings of loss and dramatic change and it will start to hurt less. Just how long that takes though, and what damage is done in the interim... that unfortunately no one can know.

::huggles::
Roberta

Sometimes it never gets easier…….

D. Eden's picture

Sometimes it still hurts even after years. Sometimes it hurts forever.

I know that for a fact.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Hugs

RobertaME's picture

I know some hurts never go away. (a fact I am learning myself with my most recent loss... I can't see this hurt ever getting any better) Luckily, Erica has people that love her and care for her and that helps.

But sometimes things get complicated... and the pain can lash out in ways no one could have predicted.

Hugs,
Roberta

Ongoing traumas....

Snarfles's picture

So many people have had the experience of war, of losing friends and family far in advance of their time. Even when the war is 'over' and hate of the 'enemy' is done, sometimes we still hate ourselves for what we became because of the enemy. Working through that is like trying to 'unbecome' who we are; and that can take forever. Unthrowing the stone that made the ripples in our pond of life. Others may never have seen the ripples, but inside we always know that stone is there.

Thorough

BarbieLee's picture

April's parents are closing all avenues if they were smart enough to remove her phone number, her email, Facebook, school email account. That is beyond petty, they truly intend to separate the two best childhood friends. I find nothing good in their actions, only evil. How many have long distance, even half way around the world friend?
Roberta, my pet, you are painting a very disgusting picture of April's parents.
Hugs Roberta
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, don't waste it. It's too short to waste before we must return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Nobody is the villain of their own story

RobertaME's picture

April's parents have their reasons that seem totally justified to them. Eventually these reasons will come to light. I don't personally agree with their reasons, but I know that some people would agree, so... ::shrug::

Whether they're right or not is just a matter of perspective.

More to come on Saturday!

Hugs,
Roberta

There is no excuse for ignorance and bigotry……

D. Eden's picture

And there is never an excuse for causing your own child needless pain out of your own prejudices and stupidity - let alone purposely causing harm to an innocent child.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Prejudice

RobertaME's picture

There's not really any prejudice involved with April's parents, though. They have no idea that Erica was ever TG, nor even that she's living as a girl now, so that can't be part of their reasons for cutting off all contact. The last time they saw her, even Erica didn't know she had gender issues... so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that bigotry or prejudice is part of their reasoning. (the most confrontational thing any of them said was April's father calling 'Eric' a wimp... which was bad, but not really out of place among macho men)

I'm not trying to challenge your point... because you're right... there's never a valid excuse for causing needless pain out of bigotry or prejudice, against your own child or otherwise... but I'm not seeing the connection to April's parents in that regard. They're insistent that the two have no further contact with one another. As April's parents, that's perfectly within their rights to do. Even if it's wrong, it's not abusive, neglectful, bigoted, or prejudiced.

They simply don't care how it affects Erica... because she's not their concern... April is. They fully expect Erica to never come back to Newport Beach, so felt that a 'clean break' was best for their daughter. That's not malicious or cruel... it's just a different idea of how to deal with a permanent separation. I don't personally agree that it's a good idea, but I know a lot of people would think it is the best way to deal with it.

For example, when my family moved to another city 30 miles away when I was 10, the parents of the 12-year-old girl I was best friends with didn't like the idea of her coming to our house one night before Summer Vacation ended as a 'last goodbye' to her two best friends (my sister and myself) of the last couple years. They eventually gave in and let her come over, but only after a lot of convincing... and that was just 30 miles. Similarly, I was also in falling in love with her the same way April was falling in love with 'Eric'... and my own parents thought it best to limit contact with her after that, hoping that the sooner I 'moved on' the less it would hurt in the long run.

That's not cruel... that's making a decision. I agree that their decision was wrong, (because you can't know what the future holds) but as a parent I can understand their reasoning. (wanting to spare your child hurt over the long term by causing a little hurt in the short term)

Can you be specific as to what you mean when you say April's parents are being bigoted or prejudiced? (not trying to be confrontational or anything, I just don't understand what you mean... and that's my failure... not yours)

Hugs,
Roberta

Faith Suggested that in Chapter 8

RobertaME's picture

Erica dismissed the idea because she knew April's parents would intercept it. Having lived with them for 6 months, she'd know their habits well enough to know that they are the ones that get the mail and even if it didn't have a return address, they would see it and open it before April even knew it was there and destroy it.

Many parents believe it's their duty to protect their children from anything potentially harmful and would read any mail address to their child before letting them even touch it. Given April's parents' behavior as demonstrated thus far, it's easy to see that they're "helicopter parents"... always hovering over her and getting over-involved in April's life. Yes, parents have a responsibility to see to it that their children are safe and taken care of, but you can take anything too far.

Hope this helps!
Roberta

Wrong move on two fronts

Jamie Lee's picture

Getting clothes for Erica helps with Erica knowing those are hers and not Faith's. But that's minor to the real issue that has to be dealt with, and not by Heather. When is Heather going to see she is too close to Erica to be her therapist? That it isn't only Erica who needs help? That all three need help, each for a different reason.

April's parents don't know the score with Eric, and by all they've done to keep him from contacting April, they don't care. What they don't fully see is the affect all they work is having on April. If she is as upset as Eric, as she was when he left, she likely has not gotten over the loss of her friend and possible love. And in what her parents are doing, she may be trying to find a way to contact him without her parents knowing. And if she is that determined, it's also likely she will try to find him when she gets older.

As to why her parents want this? Good question. It could be they didn't like the two being as close as they were for their age, and thought they were too young to be so serious with each other. It could also be anger because Mr. Stone was angry for needing to keep care of Eric all that time. And not being reimbursed for Eric's care. Altruism is not his strong point.

Franchesca is a dear, hiding behind a gruff voice. Fredrick is the same, though a man of few words. Both are taken with Erica and so wish there was something they could do to help Erica.

This story seems to be heading to a point where it becomes a make or break for Eric. Meaning, at some point, something will occur and Erica breaks down and finally grieves for her loss. After which Eric is back and doesn't need the escapism any longer. Or, something occurs to positively prove Eric was TG all along, and the Stone's picked up on this. Whichever way it goes, it will be very interesting to see events unfold.

Others have feelings too.