Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 411.

Printer-friendly version

Bike 411.
by Angharad

I sat in the traffic on the motorway. I yawned and felt my eyes fill with tears. I was late. All my good intentions from the night before had come to naught. After cuddling with Simon, his sweet nothings and manual dexterity wore down my resistance and he had his wicked way. Oh, I enjoyed it as well, so I shouldn’t complain too loudly, but it was nearly two before I got to sleep and I was a bit sore when I woke up and showered. I left him instructions to strip the bed and wash the bedding–however, he was still lying in them, half asleep, when I told him. I left him begrudging him every minute of his lie-in.

The traffic moved a little and I could see the problem, a truck which had thrown off half of one of its tyres, the police were in attendance. I waited my turn for another eight or nine minutes before I got past the obstruction and drove like a maniac to Hartpury House and my class.

Despite the congestion, I was only five minutes late and they were all busy chatting. The class were mainly women, outnumbering the men by a factor of three. As I yawned, I wanted to curse all men as tricksters only after one
thing. If it had been a class of women only, I might have done that, but with some men in attendance, it wouldn’t be a good idea, or a good ideal, as they say in Brissle.

I apologised for showing my tonsils–yes, I still have them–and got on with the registration and the lesson. We did some more ecological systems, the rainforest and the ocean. Then it was lunch. It was quite interesting that two of the class had been to a tropical rainforest in Amazonia. Their descriptions, especially of the birds of paradise and their weird calls, made me want to pack up and head for South America after lunch.

After lunch we looked at the ecology of broadleaf woodland and that of the littoral zone–not something that occurs in libraries, but the seashore. My slides of dormeece and starfish got some oohs and ahs, until I pointed out the crown of thorns starfish, was doing enormous damage to coral reefs–not quite the seashore, but it always pays to show that nature is red in tooth and starfish, and not as innocent as we like to think–which of course is anthropomorphising it as well, so I’m a total hypocrite.

Our mini field lesson was looking around the edge of the woods near the Centre, in fact in the grounds of the house. At last I was in my own element, European broadleaf woodland. I knew most of the trees, the birds, the mammals and many of the flowers, grasses and mosses. The larger ferns I recognised and some of the fungi, so I was able to answer most of the questions they had. We looked at succession and climax woodland–not somewhere you had your first erotic experience, but a woodland of oak or beech, sometimes ash.

We stayed late, no one seemed interested in going home as I showed them how the woodland worked as a system, how plants now dying back under the canopy of the trees had grown quickly in the early spring, flowered and produced seed and started the cycle again, waiting for the first warm spring days and the absence of leaves on the trees.

I showed them how some trees protect themselves and their territory, a black walnut had nothing growing within yards of its trunk. It poisons the ground, so nothing much can survive there, secreting toxins from its roots.

At six, over an hour late, I prised myself away from my class and set off for home. Of course I caught the end of the rush hour, so it was nearly eight when I got home–more than twelve hours after leaving it. As I sat in the traffic, I did wonder what Simon, Stella and Tom had got up to in my absence.

It seemed they all rose late and then worked off their guilt by doing chores. Tom tidied my garden, Simon washed the cars and Stella did the laundry, including my bedding which Simon had stripped from the bed. It was dry when I got home and Stella had even ironed it, something I didn’t bother with. Simon and she were putting it back on my bed when I arrived home. I felt like climbing straight in and going to sleep–instead, Tom told us all to get tidied up and he’d treat us to dinner.

I didn’t really fancy cooking, at the same time, I didn’t really want to go out either. I was very tired, however, the others wouldn’t allow me to cop out. So reluctantly, I washed and changed into a skirt and top and went out to dinner with them. Considering how funny such company had been in the past, it seemed rather sad, to me at any rate, that we were all so subdued. I kept yawning and having to wipe tears away, I was also sniffing quite a bit, enough for Simon to ask if I had any tissues with me. We ended up arguing and not speaking for the rest of the evening.

When we got home, they all decided to have a drink–I went straight to bed and was asleep before Simon came up. I was aware of someone getting into my bed but didn’t really wake. The next morning, when I did wake, I was surprised to see it was Stella who was lying next to me.

I slipped out and showered, coming back to the bedroom to dress. A sleepy Stella looked at me with bleary eyes. “Hi,” she said.

“Hi, where’s Simon?”

“He grabbed my bed, sent me to sleep with you.”

“Why?”

“He said he was in your bad books.”

“What’s new?”

“As he said he conned you into sex the night before, he didn’t think you’d want him near you, last night.”

“Oh, how does he think we’re going to cope when we’re married?” I realised what I’d said after the words left my mouth.

Stella didn’t pick up on it, so I said nothing more about it. “You know what he’s like, weasels out of things he doesn’t fancy, and confronting a strong, irritable woman is one of those he doesn’t fancy.”

“So who’s that then?”

“Who’s what?”

“The strong, irritable bowel, I mean woman.”

“You are, silly.”

“Oh–hey, who’s irritable?”

“You were last night.”

“Was I? I was very tired.”

“You were, besides, I didn’t fancy sleeping alone.”

“So are you irritable woman, proof?”

She laughed, “I didn’t mean it like that–you know what a coward Simon is when it comes to confronting women?”

“Sort of,” I shook my head. “I have to go and get some breckies and get off to work, I’m taking them off on a field trip today.”

“What sort?”

“Ecology of woodland and some limestone meadowland. Tomorrow it’s river systems, oh and a canal.”

“Sounds nice, can I come tomorrow?”

“I don’t see why not, there may be room on the minibus. I’ll ask the class. Would you be up to traipsing about all day, and having to listen to me rabbiting on and on?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“In which case, I’d love to have you if the class are happy for you to come.”

I spoke to the class at the first opportunity, they were very happy to have Stella accompany us. We drove off to a forestry area and compared the two types of habitat, looking at the commercial and ecological aspects of the place. They weren’t too impressed with the commercial growth of softwoods but when I showed them hazel coppicing, they were suitably agreeable. I wasn’t really manipulating them–well, not much.

After a pub lunch, we set off for the Doward, a hill in Herefordshire which has some traditional English, hay meadows, full of wild flowers and insects. One of the men was trying to photograph butterflies, wood whites, marbled whites, ringlets as well as meadow browns and gatekeepers. We heard several warblers singing, and were lucky to see a spotted flycatcher–a bird increasingly rare these days–and we used to get them in the garden, when I was a kid.

They all went back to the college feeling very satisfied, it had been a super day as far as the weather was concerned. I prayed it would stay the same for the next one, their last day. It seemed most of them were enjoying themselves, and so was I, this was what I was meant to do, not sit before a computer. I suppose we all have to make adjustments to cope with life.

Back at home, Stella had gone shopping with Simon, Tom had walked his dog and they were both pooped, so after a cuppa, I sat on the sofa and went off to sleep which apparently, Tom and Kiki also did.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well....

Only one thing to say Ang. You're awesome. And not to change the subject or poke and prod or anything.....

You have kept us on pins and needles with Cathy and Stella, and kept us laughing and crying with Whatever Next, how do you ever find any time to do anything with your other fine story. What was that now? Lions and Egyptian Gods and terrorists, and spys. Oh yeah. SNAFU, that's it.

And don't forget poor Charlotte and her Tale

And that new story thingy too, Nutso or is that Insane or something along those lines.

When do you find time to have a life, Ang?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Don't tell me, her coming on the fieldtrip will eventually lead to a new and hopefully more durable boyfriend for Stella? And Cathy needs a new filmmaker. Is Lord Richard Attenborough or his brother the nature film guy available?

Hey Spielberg gets interested and we get Jurassic Mouse!

John in Wauwatosa

I'd wondered about Charlotte

for a LONG time, but finally stopped asking.

John, quit asking about her having a life. If she discovers there's a world outside of writing, to feed our adictions, what do you think will happen? We'll be doomned. Doomed I tell you!

Annette

Coppicing. ...

I've run across the term a time or few before this, but never when I was in a position to check it out.
It appears to be a practice we colonials did not bring over from the old country
This is not the first time I've learned something from reading this story.
Besides entertainment, you, as well as Cathy, are an educator.
Thank you

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Not bothering to look it up but I think it's a severe form ...

of pruning trees to form a hedge or to make them lower and bushier.

Instead of one leader -- mainstem of the tree -- you prune to encourage multiple leaders.

Or I'm totally wrong.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Coppicing certainly has that effect ...

... but, as I understand it, the main reason is to use the removed material as a renewable energy source. Willow is commonly coppiced, perhaps because it's fast growing and can cope with the heavy pruning.

Geoff

It's teachers like Cathy...

... that give the profession a bad name. Wait, I mean good name. The difference in the student's outlook, depending on the teacher is very prounounced. She obviously shows enthusiasm for her subject, and her students pick up on it, echoing it back to her. Wonderful!

Simon really should have slept (& snuggled) with Cathy when she woke up in the morning... She's a very forgiving type person, when she's had her sleep... :-) He should NOT have done what he did the night before... But young males... Well, I don't really need to go there.

I'm still nerveous, wondering what'll happen when Des' will is read...

Thanks for sharing,
Annette

Charming and Great Chapter

Angharad: I have to agree to your writing ablitity, I don't see how you keep up with all your different story writing, just wondering though when we will see another chapter of Charlotte (which by the way is my sisters name)? Richard

Richard

Well, Simon Does

Love and he could have been considerate of Cathy. I wonder what will happen with Stella on the feild trip, we know what happened with Simon.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Uh oh...

Why do I get the feeling that Stella's planning to throw herself into the canal?

Bike 411 (Bike information?)

Sorry, I have to do this!

Bike 411 is this the chapter where one can get the "411" on this story?

Konichiwa

Cathy

Cathy was meant to be a teacher. She enjoys it, her class enjoys it. So is she gone from the university for good.

I would like to hear about what happened to her project, and why. Oh well, the only one likely to read this is Angharad, and shes not telling! At lease, not yet.

Stella - Here, or There?

Did I miss something? You indicate that Stella went with Cathy, to Class, and on the field trip, which didn't end until 6pm-ish, and then say Stella had been shopping all day???

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Great chapter.

I seem to only comment on earth shattering chapters, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy these slice of life chapters just as much. Once again I will state you have a wonderful talent Angharad.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Birds of Paradise?

Rhona McCloud's picture

South America Angharad? David Attenborough went to Papua New Guinea as I think the American bird of paradise is a flower

Rhona McCloud

Quite right

Angharad's picture

It is New Guinea - oh well, I'm better with dormeece.

Angharad

No wolves or bears in that ecosphere?

Described by someone who has quite likely sought out the fierce dormeese herself.
Fantastic description of woodland and the indigenous life in it.

Cefin