Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 546.

Printer-friendly version

Wuthering Dormice (aka Bike). 546.
by Angharad

“Mummy, it’s all white.”

“Yes, darling, it’s all right.” I snuggled against the warm little body in front of me.

“No, white, Mummy.”

Whichever it was, it wasn’t the one I was holding. So it must be the other one. How’s that for logic? See, Tom Agnew, I am a scientist.

“It’s snowing, Mummy, everything is all white.” I opened an eye, I was holding the little one, so it had to be Trish who was making all the noise. My deductive skills were fine. “Mummy, can we go out and play in the snow?”

This woke up Mima, who joined in the cacophony. I tried burying my head under the pillows, but they tickled me. Then I needed a wee. While I was hiding in the loo, I wondered how I could be bullied by two children under five, but I was.

It was seven in the morning, here I was hiding in the loo with two squealing ticklers waiting for me. I surrendered and set a few ground rules. “You can play in the snow, when it’s stopped snowing, and after you have eaten a proper breakfast.”

They both grumbled, but agreed. As far as I knew we didn’t have a sledge, besides which they were too young to ride one. I did think about improvising with some heavy duty plastic bags, such as those used for animal feed or fertiliser. I might look later, for the moment we could build a snowman or throw a few snowballs.

Breakfast was very difficult, they were too excited to eat, but I made them sit there, it was still snowing anyway and I wanted it to stop first, otherwise they would get cold and wet before they’d had much fun.

I almost had a flashback to my father and me playing in snow when I was a kid. I was about Trish’s age, he wanted me to go on the sledge he’d made, and I was too frightened. I just wanted to build a snowman. My mother asked him to humour me, but he went in instead, and I had to build my own snowman, which was rather small, and my hands got so cold, when I went in, I cried with the pains in them. Daddy called me a ‘girl’, which hurt me deeply. I cried even more and he made me stay in my bedroom so he didn’t have to listen to the noise. Fancy me remembering that now?

By the time the snow had stopped around ten, we had several inches of it–so a snowman was quite possible. I told the girls we’d build a snow woman, which they thought was a good idea, or at least they giggled quite a lot.

I put the bread machine on, we’d have some soup when we came in. Sadly it would have to be tinned or packet stuff, as I wouldn’t have enough time to play and cook. Stella was staying in bed, muttering something about, ‘horrid white stuff,’ and ‘a headache.’

I sorted out some clothes for my two would-be snow builders. Neither had much in the way of old clothes, so they’d have to wear decent ones, I’d just have to wash and dry them afterwards. Mima had wellies, Trish didn’t, and so it went on. They both had gloves, scarves and hats. I wrapped their mittened hands in cling film to try and waterproof them. Then it was out into the snow.

Mima had only trotted about twenty feet when she slipped and sat down in the snow. She squealed with laughter, and I picked her up and brushed her down. Trish managed to stay upright until we got to the garden, where she walked across some decking and disappeared.

She yelled, and I told Mima to stay where she was as I rushed to help Trish. She was a little shocked and was crying. She’d stepped into a snow drift and had fallen right into it. She had snow down her neck and up under her coat and up the legs of her jeans. I pulled off her coat and shook it free of the snow and we managed to extract most of the rest with shaking. This made her laugh, and she finally got over her shock. Mima was laughing at our antics until a small avalanche dropped off the roof and landed alongside her, she jumped in fright and fell over–so she was crying. No wonder I didn’t like snow that much.

With some trepidation, I got them up the garden and into a field where we were able to roll a couple of large snowballs and stack them on top of each other. We used some stones for eyes and teeth, some twigs for arms and some straw I found in one of the sheds for hair. The girls laughed when I sculpted a bosom on our snow woman, and a narrowing at the waist.

I went back for the camera and had my two labourers pose with our creation. They were giggling still when we came back in at midday. I was quite surprised they’d lasted so long, their hands and feet were freezing. After I had them jumping up and down and clapping for a few minutes, I took them up into the bath.

As Trish’s secret was no longer secret, if you see what I mean, I dumped them both in the same bath, which I’d filled with bath foam. They played with a plastic duck for a few minutes after which I showered them off and dried them. We were just coming back down to have lunch when Stella decided to get up.

I did the soup, it was tinned, but not too bad, and the bread was still warm from the machine. Stella had lost her appetite so could only manage three slices of bread, which I managed to equal. The girls had one slice each.

They wanted to play again in the snow, and this time I took them for a walk to our nearest hill. We each carried our feed bag, and I explained that the object was to sit or lie on it while holding on to it, as you slid down the slope.

When we got to the hill, about half a mile’s walk, they were grumbling until they saw the other kids on sledges and other improvised items. We weren’t the only ones with bags. They watched the others, then I took Mima with me, and Trish sat on her own bag and off we went. We went about forty yards before we fell off, rolling in the snow. Mima giggled as I picked her up, she was calling for more. We watched as Trish came down about twenty yards then stopped. She wasn’t quite heavy enough.

We tried a three sitter on the bag, but it didn’t really work. We did about forty yards again and rolled off, which had the two girls laughing, but we weren’t going very fast. Some of the boys on sledges were simply flying along. I was a little concerned that they could hit one of the little ones and shouted at two boys in particular, to be careful of the little ones. They ignored me or shouted back something obscene, so I moved our two further over, to avoid them.

I slid in turns with my two, and as the run got compacted it got faster. I was pallying up with another woman who had a small child, a boy, so we watched each other’s kid as well as looking out for the older and bigger kids disturbing us.

I’d just walked back up to the top of our slide with Trish, and was about to take Mima, who waited patiently for her go, when we saw the two boys absolutely rocket down the slope. They must have been doing twenty or thirty miles an hour.

“They’re not going to stop,” I shouted as other revellers jumped out of the way of the sled. One of the boys threw himself off as it went up the bank and crashed into a tree. tThere was a splintering of wood and the boy who’d stayed on it lay still.

There was a shocked silence, “Watch my girls, will you?” I asked the woman, and scrambled down the slope towards the scene of the accident. The only other adult–a man–was also rushing as best he could towards the prostrated boy. We arrived together, huffing and puffing. The boy was bleeding from a head wound, but he was breathing.

The man wanted to roll him over, but I stopped him, cautioning a neck injury. The woman with my children was on her mobile calling for assistance. “Tell them he’s unconscious, he’s bleeding from a head wound but he is breathing,” I shouted to her. She relayed this to ambulance control, who would be in real difficulty to get a vehicle out to us.

The man pulled off his scarf and placed it under the boy’s head to keep the cold and snow off him, I stripped off my coat and laid it over him. We had to try and keep him warm.

“Let me know when you get cold, I’ll put mine on him,” said the man, which we did, ten minutes and we switched coats. I had a clean handkerchief, which we tried to use to staunch the bleeding but the snow was turning increasingly red. I did mould a snowball and hold it against his wound which did slow the bleeding to a trickle, but he’d obviously caught a vein or other vessel the way it was bleeding.

Half an hour later, the air was filled with the sound of a large engine and the air ambulance hove into view. They managed to land about two fields away, nothing else was flat enough and came running with a stretcher and equipment bags.

My girls were looking anxious, so as soon as the paramedics arrived, I dashed back to see to them. Of course I was spattered with blood, which I tried to wipe off with snow. Then I had to return to the accident, they needed another adult to help carry the stretcher because of the slipperiness and depth of the snow.

The paramedics took our names and suggested the police would want to talk with us as witnesses. By the time we’d got the boy loaded into the chopper, and his friend sorted out, he’d broken an arm, jumping off, we were all cold and wet.

We walked part of the way back with the woman and her son. Her name was Diane, and his was Ben. The girls had certainly got on well with him, although I was wary of Trish making many friends in case her secret was discovered, especially boy friends, who might get a bit boisterous. Ben seemed quite quiet as boys went, so maybe he would be okay. We swapped phone numbers just in case.

When we got home, Stella wanted to know why I looked like I’d been slaughtering things. “Mummy helped a naughty boy who crashed his sled,” said Trish loudly.

“Oh, ever the boy scout, eh Cathy?”

“Mummy’s not a boy spwout,” said Mima with indignation, and we all sniggered. Then it was clothes in the washing machine and up to the shower, to get us warm and clean.

I was putting the chicken in the oven when the door bell rang. “PC Bond, how nice to see you,” I said to the two coppers standing on the step. “Do come in.”

He looked very serious.

“Has something awful happened? Oh no, not Tom or Simon?”

“Lady Cameron, it’s okay, they’re fine as far as we know, it’s the kid you tried to help…”

“Oh no,” I gasped and my hands came up to my face.

“…he didn’t make it, so we’ll need a formal witness statement.”

“Oh no, he was breathing when he got to the chopper…” I said, feeling very saddened.

“They apparently rushed him into theatre, he had a clot on the brain and an internal bleed you wouldn’t have seen.”

“I told them to be careful, they were going so fast–too fast.” I wrung my hands, “Why do they always have to learn the hard way?”

“I don’t know.”

The two girls came rushing up to me when they saw me looking so sad. PC Bond, looked at me and heard them both calling me, Mummy.

“You’re collecting them, are you?”

“I’m fostering them.”

“Couldn’t come to a nicer place or foster-mum.”

I smiled back in acknowledgement of his compliment. I made some tea, and the girls showed PC Jones their toys. He kept them amused whilst I made a statement with PC Bond. Then they were back to their 4x4 and back to the station.

“Why were the police here?” asked Stella coming back downstairs.

“The accident we witnessed, he–um–didn’t make it.”

“Oh, bad luck. Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I suppose so. I have to be don’t I? Two little mouths to feed.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It was too good to last

The pleasant days, that is.

I just hope the boy's parents do not try to blame her for his death, saying her help did him in.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

I dunno

Does the U.K. have the equivalent of our Good Samaritan laws? For those that aren't knowledgeable of these, they basically say that if a person who is properly trained in First Aid procedures correctly renders aid in an emergency situation that they are trained to give, they can not be held liable for their actions. This is the meat of many of the First Aid training programs here in the States, if we all had to fear lawsuits when trying to help, nobody ever would.

Does it matter, especially here?

Sad to say, Whenever something like this happens here in the US, some jackleg* attorney, charging a starting fee up front, is likely to get someone to try and sue, trying to find some way around the Good Samaritan laws. often he will get an out of court settlement, just to avoid the cost of defending against the spurious suit. He charges a small fee up front, and a large percentage if they 'win', so he doesn't lose either way.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

Jackleg - characterized by unscrupulousness, dishonesty, or lack of professional standards

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Yes, it matters

There are thousands of Americans from all walks of life who have been trained by the American Red Cross or other groups, and yes, as long as they don't exceed their training, it matters. You hear about those lawsuits because they are the exception. And sometimes, people who have watched too many episodes of MASH or ER try to do something they have not been trained to do. That's where they get in trouble.

The moral here is get proper training from an agency that is recognized nationwide, get proof that you are properly trained, keep that training current, and don't do anything you are not trained to do. That is why the Good Samaritan laws were passed to begin with, to provide a shield so people need not fear criminal prosecution or civil damage suits.

Caveat: You need to find out what the laws are where YOU live. I do not have any training in the status of laws pertaining to rendering of first aid in all 50 states. I know what they are where I live, and I am speaking from that perspective. I know zilch about laws outside the U.S.

Can't save them all

A run of perfect saves would be nice, but that's not the way it goes in real life.

Oh, wow!

That's just terrible. He died, aah, wow that's so saaad. I know it's these boisterous foolish boys and all, and something like that's bound to happen, but dead? Gawd, couldn't you've written something like 'cracked his skull real bad, and now he's comatose'. Gosh, you really don't expect something like that to _really_ happen, do you? I'm so sorry, I feel awful.

Um. Yes. I know it's a story, but this illustrates very keenly how real your story comes across Angharad, it's amazing.

Jo-Anne

btw. nice start for Wales huh..

Sledding is fun but can be dangerous

I sledded a lot as a kid, note the word SLED.

In America the better sleds, Flexible Flyers were my favorites, have bendable steel runners so you can steer them but they and multi person toboggans in particular are very fast. Our favorite place was a hill on a public golf course, Hansen on the Underwood Parkway near Mayfair Mall. It's been closed off in recent years because of liability and that the county makes too much money on golf and the damage from sledding loses them a few weeks revenue or so it is perceived.

A friend, Bill, in school lost vision in one eye hitting a tree to avoid a little girl who wandered into his path at the last minute. Sadly many kids die in freak accidents, many more later in alcohol aided car crashes. It still hurts when one dies so young no matter the reason.

Will someone sue Cathy because they think she has money as Lady Cameron? Will Social Services try to claim this is proof she is a recklace mom, taking kids to a dangerous place like a sledding hill.?

John in Wauwatosa where our snow is fast melting

John in Wauwatosa

There was a sledging acident…

…here in the UK last week when four teenage girls who were sledging on the up-turned roof of a Land Rover, were unable to stop and crashed through a barbed wire fence. One of the girls was severely injured and was air-lifted to hospital by helicopter, but died. Another, less seriously hurt, was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Unfortunately, these sad things do happen.

A tense episode, Ang, and very true to life. We must emphasise possible dangers to our precious kids.

Hilary

The Hidden Paw?

Was Bonzi the hidden paw behind this episode? I though Bonzi authored most of the episodes involving mayhem.

Michelle B

True To Life

jengrl's picture

This episode illustrates just how quickly lives can be changed by a moment of reckless behavior. The boys were warned about going too fast, but failed to listen. I wonder if the boy who survived will understand the gravity of what has happened? Cathy did her best to save the boy who died, but as was mentioned, you can't save them all. First responders deal with this every day and have to understand this in order to continue to do their jobs. I just hope that Cathy will be able to cope and go on with life. As she mentioned, she has two little girls to take care of. I remember a friend in high school who was riding an inflated tube, pulled by a truck. The truck stopped suddenly but the tube continued to move and slung him against a tree. He fractured his neck and it was feared that he was paralyzed. He was fortunate in that he had surgery to fuse his neck and he regained his ability to walk again.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

How sad the boy died. I

How sad the boy died. I don't see how any one could hold Cathy at fault, she did, along with others who were there, what she could to help the boy. It is entirely possible the boy received internal injuries that neither she or the others would know about. J-Lynn

PC Bond Told Cathy

jengrl's picture

PC Bond told Cathy that the boy died of a blood clot on his brain, which they found when they took him to surgery. He explained that none of the witnesses or people who rendered aid, had any way of knowing that when they assisted.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Proof

So... Just in case you were wondering, Cathy can't raise the dead, walk on water, or perform supernatural miracles.

Doesn't seem to stop her from trying to do her very best for every person and creature who crosses her path, though. And, often, when you just give a damn and try, you can make a big difference.

"60 Minutes", a news magazine show here in the U.S., this evening just had an interview and tribute to the captain and crew of that plane that landed safely in the Hudson River, feating them as heroes. But, the reason that NOBODY died, despite freezing water and even colder air, is that the crews and passengers of commuter ferryboats rushed to the rescue and had already picked up most of the air passengers before emergency services even arrived, many ferry passengers shedding their winter coats for the soaked rescuees. Ordinary people doing what ordinary people should do when they can. Extraordinary.

Not to lessen the role..

played by the various ferry boats and all... I just wanted to point out that they train for what they did, REGULARLY! And, their training helped them achieve what they did. (Keep that in mind when you think about fees paid for their primary services - it also goes to provide training such as this. The same is true elsewhere. Not JUST "recognized" first responders are trained to act in emergencies.)

Annette

I Still Think...

I still think there was more to it than that. The ferryboat PASSENGERS certainly weren't part of anyone's readiness training, but there they were, pitching in, rigging ropes, pulling up passengers and covering them with their very own winter coats, in 18 degree (F) weather.

This wasn't the simple "man overboard" drills that the ferries and other merchant seamen train for. This was a full-scale disaster of 155 people on the water, mid-river, on a half-submerged airplane in quick danger of succumbing to exposure, if not drowning.

I, for one, am not prepared to dismiss their actions as anything other than heroic and selfless. Nor am I going to desist from complaining that they're getting far too little credit for what they did. That I'm a New Yorker, and proud of my city at times like this, might have something to do with it.

Well, I guess Cathy's...

not all powerful afterall... Though, she did have quite a streak going. It's not always the boys doing crazy stuff on the snow, but one of my eldest daughter's good friends sledded like that - and had a crash - and punctured his spleen. The boy's luck to be alive! VERY Lucky. Unsupervised sledding (heck, even supervised) does have it's dangers. Not much different than skiing... Just look at the experienced adults that have accidents.

I dunno if it's good that Cathy and PC Bond are on such good terms or not. Guess, it doesn't hurt to know someone on the force... He's obviously got a very good opinion of Cathy. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Parents

It is sad, but parents can't be everywhere. You do the best you can, and hope it is enough. Sometimes it isn't.