Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 570

Printer-friendly version
  
Wobbling Doorknobs
(aka Bike)
Part 570
by Angharad
  
Snowflake_300h.jpg

The makeup kits seemed to be a success, as there were lots of giggles coming from the dining room. I’d probably have to put both kids in the washing machine to get it all off, but if they were happy…

I watched Simon from the window. As he seemed to be finishing the last car–the Mondeo–I switched on the kettle and made him some coffee. He seemed quite grateful for it when he walked in.

“What are they giggling about?” he asked, nodding towards the dining room.

“They’re playing.”

“Duh! I know that, what’s making them giggle like drunken banshees?”

“Why don’t we go and look?”

“They haven’t got the telly in pieces again have they?”

“Simon, it’s boys who take things apart to see how they worked.”

“Don’t you mean work?”

“No because they don’t usually do so after the dissection.”

“Sometimes. I had an old radio I took apart and put back together, it still worked, so did the clock I played with.”

“I was only allowed to do it under supervision, so it always worked.”

“Yeah, but you’re a girl, so that’s expected.”

“I did go beyond it a bit with bicycles, changing bearings and things.”

“Ah, there you have me, I can change a tyre or fix a puncture.”

“So why do you leave it to me, to do?”

“Because you’re quicker.”

“Hmmm,” we walked into the dining room half expecting to see a couple of children looking like an explosion in a paint factory. Instead they were relatively restrained. Trish seemed to be doing most of the painting and Mima, the giggling.

“My goodness, two beauties indeed, Cathy, you didn’t say your sisters were here with you.” Simon winked.

“No, I momentarily forgot. May I introduce you to Lady Patricia and Lady Jemima.”

Simon bent down to shake hands and Trish said, “How do you do,” as if she’d been watching My Fair Lady.

Mima just giggled, then grabbed Simon’s legs and hugged him, “Daddy,” she squealed and got the makeup stuff all over his trousers. Still, they said it was washable.

The phone rang and I went to answer it. “Hello?”

“Hello, Cathy, are ye in a better mood?”

“Never mind me, how are you?”

“Seems like my indigestion is better.”

“Oh that’s good, when can you come home?”

“Anytime.”

“What like, now?”

“Aye, indeed.”

“I’ll come and get you.”

“I can get a cab.”

“Indeed you won’t. I’ll be there in half an hour, go and have a cuppa.”

He rang off and I dashed to get my jacket. “I’m going to get Gramps from hospital, who wants to come?”

I had two volunteers, who were not best pleased when I wiped their faces before we went. “You can do it again when we get back, after all most of us have to practice it for years to get it right.”

“Did you practice it, then, Mummy?” asked Trish

“It might not look like it, but yes, I did.”

“Your makeup always looks nice, will you show me what to do?”

“After lunch.”

“Wiww you show me, too?”

“Of course I will, Meems. I’ll show you both.” When I thought about it, for what I’d spent on the toy makeup, I could have bought a proper makeup set, but part of me doesn’t want to encourage them too much. Trish isn’t five yet, and Meems is only three. I had to wait until I was away from home before I could play with makeup–when I thought about some of those practices, they were pretty dire, dire being the operative word.

I had a sudden flash back to one memory, when I had used a reddish pink lipstick which stained my lips and I had exams the next day. I walked into college sucking an ice lolly, so when someone commented on my pink lips, another girl said, “He was sucking one of those ice lolly things,” and no more was said about it. I bought another lipstick on the way home, a lighter shade.

I strapped the girls into their car seats and drove off to the hospital. Tom was actually waiting for us at the entrance to the car parks, which meant I didn’t have to fuss with releasing the kids and then strapping them back in.

I kissed him on the cheek, “You look well,” I said.

“You look tired, my girl.”

“I’m okay, I slept well last night.”

“You wocked you doow, wast night.”

“You did what?” asked Tom.

“I locked my door.”

“Why? Squabble with Simon?”

“Something like that.”

“You were in a funny mood, sure enough last night.”

“Gee thanks,” I frowned, “Why not remind me?”

“I’m sorry, Cathy, but ye squabbled with me before ye left.”

“I think it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.”

“Aye mebbe, but then if that was true, would ye hae squabbled with Simon.”

“Yes, he was supposed to put these two to bed, they were still up when I got in.”

“Och, they were probably waitin’ to see ye.”

“Oh that’s right side with Simon, bloody men always stick together.”

“Mummy and Gramps, please don’t fight, there are children present,” said a little voice from the back seat. Tom and I looked at each other and sniggered. Sometimes the things she says are priceless. Anyway it broke the spell and Tom and I dropped the subject and resumed normal relations.

On the way home, I popped into Argos again and bought a proper makeup set. I would lock this up when I wasn’t available to show them how to use it. I’d nipped in a paper-shop first and got Tom a Guardian, and Trish and Mima a comic each. They didn’t know what I’d bought, which I shut in the boot. I’d also got Simon a new penknife, for washing my car and as a peace offering.

We got home with just enough time to sneak my shopping upstairs and dash down before the bread machine peeped. I made some salad which we ate with cheese and fresh bread–it was still warm and Simon managed half the loaf before I caught his eye and suggested he’d had enough. He sighed, muttered something and sipped his water.

After washing up and tidying up the kitchen, I handed Simon his present. He was very pleased with it, he’d lost his Swiss Army penknife, a month or so ago. He’d had it since he was at school, so was a bit upset at the loss. I wasn’t sure if it was the same type, but he was so pleased it didn’t matter. I think it had one of those gadgets for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves, so that could be useful.

I was then pestered by the girls to play makeup with them. We used their toy kits. They did have the advantage of being washable, that was about the only one. The lip colours hardly showed at all, the eye makeup was pathetic and the mascara like water. I was tempted to get the new one I’d just bought, but for now, I’d wouldn’t encourage them, that could wait for a rainy day–it wasn’t washable.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

There are Children Present!

ROFL. I literally laughed out loud with that one.

I'm glad the girls were so good with their play makeup - and that they didn't react to it. I do agree with Cathy on not encouraging makeup, except in play like this, at their age.

I understand Cathy's feeling she needs to make up for her attitude issue the night before, but gifts are not necessarily a good precident to set. Hopefully she doesn't have TOOO many more occurances, but... Hopefully, she and Simon "make up" tonight too.

Thanks,
Annette

Cathy really should have

1. gotten Simon his very own bread maker and enough supplies for a week or so, and then lock up her own supplies and the bread she makes herself.
2. send him out to work off the carbs.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

I Have A Question Angharad :)

Simon said, “Yes, he was supposed to but these two to bed, they were still up when I got in.”

How does one 'but' them to bed?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I changed the 'b' to a 'p' for her, Stan, so

later readers won't see it.
It's just a typo, for gosh sake.

Don't forget, Angharad has said she is writing this directly in the create content box.
None of us are perfect, and for not using an editor or proofreader I think she does excellent work.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Heratic! Not True!

Angharad is perfect, she told me so! ;-)

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Perfect

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Also...

She does a spot of magic (healing!)...

OK, admittedly she doesn't have a talking umbrella, can't levitate, and can't get rooms to tidy themselves, so perhaps she's just apprenticed to Mary...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Mea Culpa…

I usually go through it for Ang after she has posted and correct any (very rare) errors, but tonight I missed this one. Thanks, Holly.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa,

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

LOL

As a confirmed gadget addict, I had to laugh at this one, "I think it had one of those gadgets for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves." Where did Angharad ever come up with that off the wall comment.
.
Seriously though, it's been a while since Cathy visited the baby hasn't it? She needs her dose of healing energy! And Stella needs a visit too.

I'm afraid the gadget for

I'm afraid the gadget for getting boy scouts out of horses' hooves is a very old joke. Still amuses me though ;-)

SAK (Swiss Army Knife) attatchments...

I am the father of a 20 year old daughter. My SAK has a double barrel 12ga shotgun attatchment...

Bike

Woodie; You forgot the Cat writes this and ANG just post's it (that what I was told when I made my last comment!) Richard

Richard

Angharad doesn't make mistakes...

I mentioned, way back around episode 130ish, that Angharad doesn't make mistakes. She inserts small errors here and there as a test to see if anyone really reads her stuff. It's obviously working.

Now I'm going to mention that she's also a fabulous writer. Anyone want to challenge that?

JessicaLK

JessicaLK

Makeup

Makeup and little girls don't mix, but it is part of growing up. Actually I don't see anything wrong with teaching a little girl to do makeup. They have to learn sometime.

Not in front of the child

When my son was growing up, we started using the French "pas devant l'enfant" when little ears were around.
When he started to learn French at school, we asked him if he could work out what this phrase meant. He thought hard, and announced, "Not behind the elephant."
One of the best bits of advice I've ever heard!

Love Bev x