Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 578.

Printer-friendly version
       
Weathering Woodlice
(aka Bike)
Part 578
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

I had to take Trish to see Dr Rose, which meant that either Mima had to come too, or I had to speak with Simon or Tom to ask them to baby sit. The problem was Tom got so tired after his heart attack and he liked to doze in the afternoon. So that meant talking to Simon.

I would just have to eat humble pie. He was out mowing the lawn, something I’d never seen him do before, so I suspected he was trying to avoid me. I hastily washed out one or two bits of clothing and took them out to the line.

“Si, can I ask a favour?” I said loudly as he walked towards me behind the mower. He looked straight through me. Great, this was going to be just wonderful.

I finished hanging out the washing which was dripping off the line. He walked around again and I waved at him. He stopped the mower and pulled out the ear pieces from his Ipod. “What?” he said, neutrally.

“Would you like some coffee or tea?”

“Yeah, okay, is it ready?”

“Two minutes.”

“I’ll be in in two minutes, I’ll just finish this strip,” which was effectively the last strip. I toddled back in and switched on the kettle. Mima came out looking for me, I managed to get rid of her with a biscuit and a drink for both of them.

Simon arrived just as I was returning from taking Tom a coffee. “Tea or coffee?” I asked.

“Tea, please.” I made us each a mug of tea and passed him the chocolate digestive biscuits–his favourite.

He helped himself to a biscuit and sipped his hot tea. “I have to take Trish to see Dr Rose this afternoon, could you look after Mima?”

“Can you pop some things into Dad?”

“Fair trade,” I said and nodded.

“You know how I hate hospitals.”

“About this morning…” I was starting my apology.

“Yeah, pinching bums is common, I’m sorry.” He looked embarrassed.

“My response was a tad over the top. So are we quits?”

“Yeah, okay.”

I got up and walked around to his side of the table, “Do we shake hands like Tom suggested or kiss and make up?”

“How about we kiss and make out?”

“Nice idea, kiddo, but Tom and the kids complicate things, somewhat.”

“Damn, maybe later?”

“I think I might be available, your place or mine?”

“How about our place?”

“Sounds good.” I kissed him and let my tongue explore his mouth, brushing very lightly against his lips. He held me tightly and pushed his tongue in between my lips, while gently stroking my breasts.

“Ugh!” said a little voice behind us.

“Double yuck,” said another. I saw Simon blush and felt myself getting very warm. Bloody kids…

After lunch, I tidied myself up to take Trish to see Dr Rose and also to visit Henry. I wore a suit and the pair of red heels that Trish had tried to walk in. I managed it a bit better. The suit was a grey background with a red pinstripe and I wore a matching red silk blouse. Trish was in her yellow dress, her hair still in bunches with the yellow ribbons; I had however changed her ankle socks for lacy tights as they’d be warmer. She was as pleased as punch with the tights.

I let her squirt some cologne on herself before we left, but refused to allow her to use makeup. I did permit her to wear her favourite bracelet, and she wore her favourite red duffel coat.

Meems seemed quite happy to stay with Simon, so what he’d promised her I didn’t know, nor really wanted to know. Tom had gone for his nap just before we left.

The drive to the hospital was slow, the school traffic was emerging and clogged up the already inadequate road system. We did however, have a good hour to see Henry and then get across to outpatients to see Dr Rose.

Henry was pleased to see us and as I changed his pyjamas, Monica arrived. She was delighted to see Trish and immediately whisked her off to the hospital shop to buy her some sweeties.

“See, she’ll do anything to avoid me?” said Henry with a hang-dog look.

“Never mind, I’m still here.”

“Yeah, perhaps I should divorce her and marry you.”

“Um. Henry, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but I think Simon might have beaten you to it.”

“What? You haven’t married him already, have you?”

“No, but I am promised to him.”

“So, that’s nothing that can’t be changed.”

“I might not want to change things.”

“You would if you knew me better.”

“I’m not sure that’s such a good idea, Henry; besides, I still don’t have that piece of paper yet, the legal one.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know, I sent off whatever bit they wanted.”

“I’ll ring the office later, speak to our legal chap, he can chase it up.”

“I’m sure they’re doing things as fast as they can.”

“A government department? Ha, don’t make me laugh–it hurts my ribs.” Despite saying this he did chuckle and then groaned.

Monica arrived back with Trish and a bag full of all sorts of treasures. “Look, Mummy, Nanny Monica’s bought Meems and me lots of sweeties and a new dolly each.”

“Aren’t you a lucky girl, I hope you said thank you.”

“Oh yes, Mummy, didn’t I Nanny Monica?”

“Yes, Tricia, you were a good girl. Our lovely foster granddaughter is going to school after Easter, Granddad.”

“Goodness, what a big girl she is. Where are you going, Trish?”

“The convent, Mummy has got to pay, so I want to get a job to help her.”

“It was the only one with places, and they seemed to accept Trish’s special requirements.” I blushed as I said this, I wasn’t seeking help, I could pay by myself, especially when the film starts to make some money.

“I see,” said Henry, “Is it one of the ones we support?” he asked Monica.

“Don’t think so, most of ours are either in the East End or up in Scotland.”

“Okay, send me the account, Cathy, I’ll deal with it.”

“I can manage, honestly.”

“I didn’t ask if you can or not, we could probably put it through as a bursary or scholarship. I’ll speak to the headmistress, maybe offer a couple of scholarships, Trish’s will be the first.”

“I really can manage, Henry,” I was blushing furiously.

“No, dear, let him help you, and the school will benefit. We’ll make some capital from it later on, in the local press,” Monica tried to persuade me. I was about to argue that I couldn’t be bought, because I wasn’t for sale, when I realised we had five minutes to get over to see Sam Rose.

Making our excuses, I grabbed the dirty laundry and snatching up Trish, ran with her, as best I could in my shoes, clacking down the corridors as we went.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Angharad, I Have A Question

What is a duffel coat?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Duffel coat

They were originally worn at sea by RN Officers during the war. They were beige/fawn coloured and reached just below the knee. They had a hood and fastened with wooden toggles. They were popular in the 50s amongst impecunious students because they were sold in government surplus shops quite cheaply. Inevitably they've now become fashionable again and I've seen adult ones for sale at over £100. They are now made in different colours - Meem's, for example, is red.

I'm not too sure what the advantages of them are because they aren't really waterproof but are probably quite warm. I think they were popular wear on the bridge on the north Atlantic convoys to Russia which were bitterly cold trips with lots of hostile action. I suppose the wooden toggles were easy to do up with cold, gloved hands.

On the main plot it seems that Cathy is skating on very thin ice with Simon. She's becoming a somewhat self-centred bitch who has a sulking fit as soon as something happens she doesn't like - and there seem to be lots of things she doesn't like. I've been in a relationship for over 40 years and we still find time to laugh and giggle a lot. We do things for each other. She repairs my cycling tights if I have a tumble and I've just fitted a new rim to her bike's front wheel (She has done 25,000 miles on it in the last 5 years so I suppose she's entitled to wear it out :) ). I can't see Cathy and Simon surviving that long on their current behaviour.

I hasten to add that I'm criticising Cathy and not Angharad. I still enjoy reading about their spats even though I despair :)

Geoff

Criticism of Cathy

While I can see your point, Geoff, consider this...

Simon and Cathy are early in their relationship, and as such, are still learning how to interact with one another. Think back to the beginning of your relationship with your partner - were things always smooth sailing? Maybe so, but most likely not. Most of us have to adjust ourselves to be with someone else. I think that is a lot of what we are seeing here, but with additional complications. Simon comes from privilege, Cathy is more a commoner. Cathy is still trying to discover who exactly she is as a person. I've been full-time for about 4 years, and there are several areas where I am still trying to discover/define who I am. Transition is not just "puberty" physically, but also mentally. I suggest that Cathy is still not fully an "adult" mentally.

Maybe I am completely wrong on this, but it is my 2 cents.

Stephanie

Cathy

The other thing she needs to realize is that Simon watching Mima is not "babysitting." In every way that counts he's her Daddy, and watching your own kid isn't babysitting.

The Duffle Coat is based on

The Duffle Coat is based on the parka just not as good. And yes, they originally were RN cold-weather gear. And yes, they are not designed to be waterproof but to keep the Bridge-watch crew warm. We had similar gear for extreme cold weather in the U.S. Army when was in. Big Douglas Reeman fan here which is why I as a colonial know about them. I used to have most of his books but lost most of them. Hard to replace here in the US.

Here's another one

I just googled it when I wondered the same thing while reading. This one shows the full length.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1003K_Chrysalis-Windsor-...

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Flexibility

For someone who has broken some of the "conventional" rules, Cathy sure can be stubborn about her own. She needs to learn to bend a bit. The strongest tree bends in high winds, the brittle one breaks. Cathy is going to break if she keeps up like she is. This is not an ideal world we live in, and you have to do what you need to do to get by.

LOL

I needed a laugh tonight so the lines, “Ugh!” said a little voice behind us. “Double yuck,” said another" were great fun.

Concerned that it's been a while since Cathy visited Stella and the baby. Am I loosing track of the timing in the story or something?

Also concerned

... and was going to ask if Cathy intended to visit Stella and the baby before leaving the hospital.

Sarah Ann

Cathy

not likely a year after most of these comments being made will mine be much difference.

But let's give Cathy a bit of slack. she's barely what if my storyline calc. is correct about two yrs since Stella grabbed her screaming out of boyhood into womanhood, all the crapp she's put up with with very little genuine support from those that are helping. meaning yes stella is a woman & there's alot to be said about that type VS a well meaning other. I think Cathy is suffering a hormone imbalance, specially after being post-op ... storyline doesnt really indicate that she's being tested regularly. NOT to mention in most ALL this time she's being stressed nearly to max since going full time. No real down time to reflect or time out to emotionally charge up. If she's just a bit crabby when she's looking @ others not carrying what SHE PERCIEVES as least part of the load ... i see her in near breakdown, if she doesnt get some real relief for her PERSONAL TIME

just an opinion

Agreed,

Cathy is failing in one measurement of womanhood, get thee to a doctor lady! Maybe more than one!

CATHY, GET OVER THE ATTITUDE !!!

Send Cathy to Italy, even the women pinch your ass. oh boo hoo
Let the Billionaire, pay. He even want's to set up multiple scholarships. He does that with other private schools.
Don't piss every one off ! Cathy is becoming rather nasty.

Cefin