Family Business Part 8

Printer-friendly version

60 Wolfe St, Alexandria, VA.:
Mouse covers up a yawn as she pulls into a private garage. She spots an old light blue with wood paneling caprice station wagon parked inside the garage. Standing next to the car was a middle-aged black hair woman. She looked to be wearing a dark blouse and faded blue jeans. She just watches as she parks.

Chris spots the middle-aged woman and wonders who she is. He looks towards Mouse “do you know her?”

“I have never met her before. However, if she is in this garage, she must work for my uncle.” Mouse turns the charger off.

“Stay in here, until I find out who she is.” Mouse tucks the gun into her waistband.

Mouse gets out of the charger and looks at the middle-aged woman. She looked like she could be someone’s mother or something.

“Who are you?” Mouse watches the woman.

Betty had been contacted by Anika and informed her, that her niece Mouse from England was coming to Washington D.C. She needed the Wolf street safehouse prep and prepared for her. She also wasn’t in the system and would need to be added. A picture of Anika’s niece had been sent, so Betty could identify her.

“I’m called the Housekeeper. Your uncle employs me to maintain his homes here in Alexandria.”

“So, who told you I was coming here?” Mouse didn’t think her uncle knew she was in trouble.

“Your Aunt Anika Jagger.” Betty figures that should answer Mouse’s question.

“Alright.” Mouse motions to the others inside the car.

“Wait, before your friends join us. I need to add you to the housing database. So, let’s do that first and then all of you can go inside and relax.”

“Okay.” Mouse walks over to Betty.

Betty takes a tablet out of her station wagon and plugs it into the security system. She enters her passcode, which was sixteen characters long and had numerous characters to it.

“I’m impressed with your passcode. Most people use simple passcodes.” Mouse had a smile on her face.

“I’m retired Navy and I use to work with Top Secret documents and such.” Betty was surprised when Mr. Bounty approached her with a job.

Betty takes a snapshot of Mouse and inputs it into the housing database. She goes through the process of adding it also to a few more
databases as well. She looks at Mouse “I need three things from you. The first one is a statement or saying only you know. The second, choose a character or image that represents you and the last a unique code from the symbols you will see on the pad.”

Betty hands her tablet to Mouse. She knew with Mouse was a computer expert with British Secret Service. Anika had told her when she asked why she was being added to the access list.

Mouse accepts the tablet and looks at the first one and types in a statement she has never told anyone before. The second one was easy, as she chooses her favorite humanoid muse image that was her trademark. The last one, took a few minutes to do, because she had to think of something she could remember, but make it hard for someone else to guess. Once Mouse was done with the questions and security setup, she hands the tablet back to Betty.

Betty accepts it and looks over it. She doubles and triple checks everything, before uploading the new information to the house. She taps a few buttons on the house security system.

“Alright, let’s see if everything is accepted.” She steps aside to let Mouse test it.

Mouse steps up to the system and goes through the three-step security check. It takes the system a few seconds, but it recognizes Mouse.

“You’ve been approved. I’ll be back tomorrow with supplies. How long do you think you’re going to be in Alexandria?”

“I’m not sure. Why don’t you bring about two weeks’ worth of supplies?” Mouse figures would be the best bet.

“Okay, you have three other people in your car, and one looks to be a teenager.” Betty had accessed the internal camera with her tablet.

“How did you do that?” Mouse was curious.

“All of Jack’s cars are equip with internal cameras.” Betty knew a few things about her boss.

“Well, damn. Why don’t people tell me these things?” Mouse looked surprised.

“Sometimes, it's better not to know somethings, than to know a lot. You’re safer that way.”

Mouse just looks at Betty and wonders what other secrets does she know? She knew her mother and the rest of the family were secretive about what they did or what resources they had.

“Don’t worry, I’m good at keeping secrets.” Betty had noticed Mouse looking at her intensely.

“I bet since my uncle wouldn’t hire a loose lip person.” Mouse knew how her uncles and aunts react.

“If you need anything, just give me a call.” Betty takes a business card out of her pocket and hands it to Mouse.

“Thanks.” Mouse accepts the card and tucks it into a pocket.

Betty gets in her car and leaves the garage. As she is leaving, she watches as everyone exits from the charger Mouse showed up in. She spots an older man, lifting a teenager out of the car.

Mouse opens the door to the place and turns the lights on. She walks in first and looks at everything. She knew Lilly was following behind her.
Lilly looks at the layout of the place as they walked in. It looked like it was decorated for a high middle-class family. Everything looked to be top-of-the-line kitchen equipment and top-of-the-line furniture.

“Are all of your uncle’s places decorated this nicely?”

“I think so. This is only the second safe house I’ve been to. The place in New York belongs to my uncle as well.” Mouse learns the place had three floors and four bedrooms.

She turns to look at Lilly “so, which bedroom do you want?”

“I’m sleeping with you. It’s safer that way.” Lilly didn’t mind sharing a bed with Mouse.

Mouse just smirks “I have to warn you, I hog the blankets.”

“That’s fine, so do I.”

Chris comes walking in carrying Zoey in his arms. She was sound to sleep.

“What room do you want me to put her in?” Chris figures the place had several bedrooms.

“Do you want to share the bedroom with her?” Mouse figures they could take the bedroom next to the one she and Lilly were going to sleep in.

“Depends.” Chris adjust how he was carrying Zoey.

“Put her in the bedroom on the second floor, next to the master bedroom.” Mouse figures Zoey would feel more comfortable next to her and Lilly.

“Alright. I’ll sleep on the floor in that room.” Chris carries Zoey up to the second floor.

“Let’s get our stuff and call it a night.” Mouse covers up a yawn.

“I think that is a good idea.” Lilly was feeling tired as well.

The two of them head out to the garage and start unloading the trunk.

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

With Jack's family

Samantha Heart's picture

NOTHING surprises me. I'm just wondering what Mouse used as her pass phrase. I'm almost surprised there isn't voice recognition as well with all of Jack's security systems. It will be intresting to see what happens next.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Mouse's passphase:

“One man’s crappy software is another man’s full-time job.”

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison