Family Business Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Mouse checks into the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. She informed her Aunt Anika that she was going to spend two nights in Atlantic City. She had booked a suite in the South Tower Apollo Ocean suite, which gave her a nice view of the ocean.

She walks over towards the huge window and moves the curtain aside to look out towards the ocean. She loved how clear the day was and spotted people out on the water, enjoying their sailboats and such.

Mouse unpacks what clothes she brought with her and put them away. She takes some of the money she brought with her and put half in the safe in the suite. She only brought five thousand of her own earned money to gamble with. She wasn’t going to do any gambling right away. She wanted to see some of the attractions on the boardwalk.

She grabs her shades, purse, and head down to the lobby. She had her cellphone with her, and it was linked to her earpiece. She breathes in the warm sea air and walks along the boardwalk. She couldn’t believe how warm and sunny it was. She had her shades on and was glad she brought them with her.

The first place she stops is Ripley’s Believe it or Not! Attraction. She pays the thirteen-dollar cover fee and walks around inside. She wishes her best friend had come with her because she knew she was into the strange and unusual type of stuff.

Mouse takes plenty of pictures for her friend and buys some souvenirs for her and her mother. The next place she stops at is an old fashion arcade that dated back to the fifties and forties. She looks at some of the old machines that have been refurbished. A smile appears on her face, as she thinks about teasing a few of her uncle’s and mother. Saying that she found something older than them.

She tries a funnel cake and loves it. Around two in the afternoon she stops and has lunch at a nice hot dog place. She had read about the place while planning her vacation. She visits the Korean War Memorial. Some of her relatives had been involved in that conflict. She knew there has been someone from the Bounty family involved in all sorts of conflicts in the world. Her mother gave her a history lesson about the family and how they were descendants from when the Romans came to Ireland.

She might not be related to her aunts and uncles by blood and genetics, but she was still considered a Bounty. Well, she was related to her mother by blood. They shared the same rare blood type. That brings a smile to her face as she continues exploring. She keeps exploring, before heading back to the Hard Rock by late afternoon.

She goes to her suite first to drop off the items she bought to take back to England with her. She takes some money out of the safe to gamble with. Afterward, she heads down to one of the restaurants in the hotel to have dinner. After dinner, Mouse tries her luck at the one-arm bandits.

The first few she tries, she loses. She moves on to a few others and ends up winning ten thousand dollars on one machine and five thousand on another machine. She takes pictures of them and sends them to her mother with a smile on her face.

London, England:
Countess Basset was enjoying a nice quiet evening. It wasn’t often she had an evening to herself, between her work and obligations with the Royal family. She was reading an old German novel when her cellphone beeps alerting her a text had arrived. She looks at it and notices it was from her daughter. There were two pictures of slot machines, showing her that Mouse had won fifteen thousand dollars total on the one-arm bandits.

“Congratulations sweetie! Your vacation is paid for. Don’t forget to transfer the money to your account.”

Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA:
Mouse hears her cellphone beep. She looks at the message from her mother and smiles. She starts typing a replay to her.

London, England:
“I won’t forget, mom. Love you.”

Mouse puts her cellphone away. She wanted to try her luck at poker. She used to be pretty good. She learned from some friends when she was younger and was running the streets. She finds a table that has nothing but men at it.

“Do you gentlemen mind if I join you?” Mouse looks at all the men.

“Not at all, little lady.” Jerald looks at the young woman with strange colored hair and an English accent.

The other men look at Mouse “not at all. I hope you don’t mind losing money.”

“Well, I prefer to win money, but if I have to lose to win. I don’t mind.” Mouse takes a seat and flag a waitress down.

She orders a drink and turns her attention back to the men at the table. The guy that spoke to her first, she noticed he had a Texas accent. She remembers meeting Bart and he had the same accent to his speech. The second guy that spoke didn’t have an accent to his speech.

In the first few hands, she has bad luck. She does observe the other players, as she plays. She knew they were doing the same to her. She just smiles at them. By the time she gets to her sixth hand, she wins some of the money she lost back.

“Looks like your luck is changing.” The Texas guy smiles at Mouse.

“Maybe, the night isn’t over yet.” She smiles back at him.

Mouse flags down her waitress and gets a refill on her drink. She knew to take it easy because she could get drunk easily. In the next few hands, the winning goes from one player to another player. She manages to win four more times.

“Well, gentlemen, it's been fun.” As Mouse covers up a yawn.

“I have to agree with you. It’s been fun playing against you.” The Texas guy smiles at Mouse.

Mouse collects her winning, which came to thirty thousand dollars. She started with five thousand dollars. She heads up to her suite and put the money in the safe. She covers up another yawn as she strips out of her clothes and slips her nightgown on. She was enjoying herself, but wish she had someone else with her to enjoy her vacation with.

She crawls into bed and slowly falls asleep. When Mouse wakes-up, she gets dressed and order a light breakfast. She figures she’ll visit the art gallery and see what they have for sale. Her mother helped install a love of art in her.

Once Mouse eats her breakfast, she grabs her purse and heads towards the art gallery. Along the route to the gallery, she passes a young woman drawing people’s pictures. She stops and observes her. She liked what the young woman was doing. When the young woman was done.

“Your technique is really good. Did you go to school to learn how to draw?” Mouse watches the young woman.

“No ma’am, I’m self-taught.” Cindy brushes aside a lock of her dark brown hair.

“Well, I think you do good, for someone self-taught.”

“Thank you. Would you like your portrait done?” Cindy liked the woman standing in front of her.

“Why not. My mother back in England will love it.” Mouse walks around and sits in the chair in front of the young woman.

“So, you’re from England?” Cindy grabs her pencil and starts drawing.

“Yes, I’m over here on vacation. By the way, you can call me Mouse.”

A smirk appears on Cindy’s face “I’m Cindy, Mouse. It’s nice to meet you.”

Cindy starts drawing Mouse’s picture. She wonders why she was named Mouse. She could tell just from watching Mouse, that she was aware of everything going on around her. She works on the picture, capturing Mouse’s image.

Mouse sits still and waits for the young artist to finish. She watches the people around her as they walk by. Events from her past and things her mother taught her, made it a habit for her.

After a while “it's finished. I hope you like it.” Cindy turns the picture around to show Mouse.

Mouse looks at the picture and loved it. Cindy did a really good job at capturing her facial features and eyes.

“You did a really good job, Cindy.” Mouse couldn’t wait to send it home to her mother.

She reaches into her purse and pulls out a thousand dollars. She knew Cindy wasn’t charging people much money for the drawings, but she felt the young woman did a really good job.

“Here, take this, Cindy.” Mouse hands the money to Cindy.

Cindy looks at the money and notices it was more than what she was asking “it's too much. I can’t take it.”

“Cindy, you did an incredible job at capturing me. Please, I want you to have this money.” Mouse kept holding it out to Cindy.

“Thank you.” Cindy accepts the money.

“You’re welcome.” Mouse accepts the picture.

“Here’s one of my business cards. If you ever need anything, feel free to call me.” Mouse hands the business card to Cindy.

Cindy accepts it and notices it had a female mouse lady leaning against the edge of the card. It had Mouse’s full name and a phone number on it. The lettering was raised and in gold.

“Just one question Mouse. How are you going to help me if you’re in England?” Cindy looks at Mouse with a puzzled looked on her face.

“I have relatives that live in New York and other places. Trust me, I’ll be able to help you.” Mouse smiles at Cindy.

Cindy wonders who Mouse was and why there was a female mouse lady on the card. Then it dawns on her, that the female mouse woman represents Mouse herself. She watches as Mouse walks off with the picture she just did.

Mouse does end up going to the art gallery and buying several pieces of art. She arranges to have them sent to her mother's house in England. After she leaves the art gallery, she stops and buys a container to mail the picture Cindy did, home to her mother.

The rest of the day, she explores some more, before trying her luck at another casino. She was going to try her luck again on the one arm bandits and poker.

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One-Armed Bandit

They are called that for a reason, they are the house's best moneymaker. Mouse did well, but that is not normal. You may get a small payout, thats just to keep you pumping more money into the machine. Comparatively speaking, you are spending dollars to win pennies. Thats why you see them everywhere, they are a quick boost to the bottom line. It's a mug's game. If you absolutely have to play one, set aside a small amount of money, and once thats gone - QUIT!

PS: People lose their head when gambling, throwing good money after bad trying to win back what they've lost. That's why there are so many pawn shops in Vegas!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

If Mouse's luck.

Samantha Heart's picture

Holds like it has she'll have a LOT of money lol, I hope she does and shows a few men what a woman (Epically a mouse lol) CAN DO! with all the Art she bought when she goes through customs again at Heathrow it might be a tidy sum, but I know Mouse can afford it so can the Countess. As far as Cindy goes I have a feeling she WILL be calling Mouse at some point and time soon. It may be when she is back in England, but I have a feeling that Cindy will call and it won't be a social call it will be business & something MI5/6 might have to get involved with OR Jack or Anika & her team.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Nice chapter.

WillowD's picture

I have way too many open BCTS tabs in my browser, with stories waiting to be read. I quite like this one. Mouse and Hatter are two of my favorite characters.