Working Girl Part 5

Printer-friendly version

 

WorkingGirl Part 5 of 6
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2021 Melanie Brown

Garner thought it would be fun to sign up for a costume contest

 


 

“Oh my God that was a long day,” I groaned as I kicked my heels off and plopped onto the couch. I turned on the TV and hunted for something entertaining.

Jack came out of his room, dressed only in his underwear. He sat on the couch and just stared at the TV. “Tomorrow should be a better day.”

I just stared at him. “What’s with the no shirt?”

Jack shrugged. “It’s okay for guys to walk around without a shirt on.”

I frowned. “Then why the fuss this morning with me?”

Jack chuckled. “For now, you’re not a guy.”

“Still?” I exclaimed. “We’re still having this conversation? You are so childish!”

Jack laughed. “I was just changing my clothes when you came in. I thought I’d just be an asshole.”

I frowned at him. “You succeeded.”

Still chuckling, Jack stood up and scratched his privates through his underwear.

I rolled my eyes at him. “I feel like we’re married.”

Jack looked wistful for a moment. “Anyway, I have some work to do tonight. So you’re on your own for dinner.”

I grunted as I looked at the TV. “I usually am. I’ll ask myself to make me a sandwich. And I hope your meeting doesn’t have blonde hair.”

Jack laughed out loud as he closed his bedroom door.

I said aloud to myself, “So. What am I going to do tonight? Ah. The Brain Box. I haven’t played that new game I just bought yet.”

I got up and went into the kitchen. I did make myself a sandwich and poured some green tea. As soon as I’m done eating, I’ll turn on the game system.

When I woke up, it was still dark outside. I looked at the clock and it was a little after three in the morning. I was in my bed. What the hell? The last thing I remember was watching TV and eating. I was going to play a game.

I sat up in my bed. I was down to my bra and panties. A towel was on my pillow with some of my make-up smeared on it. My skirt and blouse was draped over the back of a chair.

I must have fallen asleep. I was pretty tired. But how did I get in my room. Holy crap. Did Jack carry me to my bed and undressed me? If so, it’s funny he left my bra on. I removed my bra and went into the bathroom to wash my face and hope that doing so wouldn’t wake me up too much. A few minutes later, I crawled back into bed and fell asleep.

*          *          *

I arrived without incident at my desk at work. Jack had already left before I got up. Jeff just waved at me from a distance so I guess he took the hint. And considering that I had just sat down, everything was going amazingly well.

Mr. Jones came hurriedly out of his office carrying a large folder. “Come along, Ms. Carter. I need you take notes at the managers’ meeting.”

“Yes, sir.” I picked up my laptop computer and hurried after him. When we got to the meeting room, I set my laptop on the table next to Mr. Jones and then walked over to the coffee pot and without waiting for him to ask me, I poured him a cup the way he likes it. I’m trying to be more proactive. I returned to his side, set the cup down and then took my seat.

Mr. Jones smiled at me. “Thank you, Ms. Carter. Just how I like it.” He took a sip. I smiled at my minor accomplishment. One assistant across the table…the one who was Mr. Jones’ temporary assistant before I became his permanent assistant rolled her eyes at me. I don’t think I did anything wrong.

The meeting was long and tedious and I wasn’t ever sure when I should take notes. The whole meeting was on PowerPoint slides anyway. But one thing I was happy about, we being able to do something I couldn’t do before; remove my shoes. It felt good to rub my toes against the soft carpet.

As one of the managers droned on for what seemed endless minutes, I studied my pretty nails. As much as I’m annoyed at losing my analyst position, I have to admit Jack is right. I’m living the dream. What trans girl or even crossdresser for that matter hasn’t at least once dreamed of being a secretary, looking pretty and sitting on the boss’s lap? I’ve read a ton of stories like that. And now, here I am. I looked at my reflection on the shiny table top and saw the attractive woman staring back at me. The woman in the reflection frowned. How long can I keep this ruse up? Do I want to stay a woman forever? The reflection grinned back at me.

The meeting was finally over. As we both started to get up, Mr. Jones turned to me and said, “Please type up those notes for me this afternoon, Ms. Carter. I have to hurry to my next meeting.”

I nodded. “Yes, sir.” Do bosses ever actually do anything besides go to meetings? Mr. Jones forgot about me right away as he engaged in conversation with a couple of other managers from the meeting. That was just as well, as I turned and walked quickly to the nearest restroom. That meeting went on a bit too long.

I now don’t even hesitate about which restroom to use. I was happy to see all the stalls were empty. I took the one on the end as I normally do when I can and closed the door and sat down to do my business.

Half minute later, two women enter the restroom already in the middle of a conversation.

“… so I don’t get it, Nancy. What does it matter? I mean really. So she’s the executive assistant to the CEO. You’re the executive assistant to the VP of sales. At the end of the day, who cares? Right?”

Nancy slapped her purse on the counter in front of the mirror and started digging around in it. Snarling, she said, “Because the little bitch didn’t earn it, like you or me. She just walks in and takes it. That was her first day! She was hired to be some lower manager’s assistant. But she flips her hair seductively and wiggles her ass at Mr. Jones, he decides to make her his assistant. She doesn’t even have to be in the assistants pool! And! I was already his assistant! Temporarily. But still. That should count for something!”

The other woman sighed. “Don’t worry about it. Just do your usual great job, stay in upper management’s eye and who knows. Little tarts like her don’t usually have staying power. She probably doesn’t even know Mr. Jones is married with two grown kids in college.”

Grunting a laugh, Nancy said, “You’re probably right. Let’s get Louise and go grab some lunch.”

The other woman laughed, “You don’t have to ask me twice!” They both hurried out of the restroom.

I sat there stunned for a few moments. They had to have been talking about me. I never wiggled my ass to anybody. I didn’t even want that stupid assistant job. I want my old job. The one I can’t go back to. Actually, I didn’t know Mr. Jones was married. I assumed he was and quite frankly I don’t care. What? Do they think I want an affair with him? That’s crazy. I already have a bo… Whoa. Jack is not my boyfriend, no matter what he might think.

I left the stall and checked my make-up in the large mirror. I decided my lipstick needed freshening. As I started to apply the lipstick, I looked at my reflection, seeing my fingers with the pretty nails holding a lipstick that was pressed against my lips. I couldn’t help but notice my black lashes and the soft eye shadow. Just what the fuck am I doing?

A pretty woman grinned back at me in the mirror. I’m living the dream, that’s what.

*          *          *

Jack had gotten home a few minutes before I did. I shouldn’t say “home”. It sounds like we’re married or something.

Jack had removed his shoes and had just sat down on the couch. He looked up at me and said with a grin. “Hey girl! I have to say you’re looking more relaxed today.”

I set my purse down on the kitchen counter and kicked my heels off. I ran my fingers through my hair and messed it up. “Yeah. I think I’m getting the hang of it all. I miss being an analyst though. Oh. And I overheard a couple of other assistants saying catty things about me.”

As I sat on the couch next to Jack, he looked over at me and said, “Oh? Like what?”

I grunted. “Apparently I didn’t pay my dues to become an executive assistant. According to them, I’m just a shameless little tart who used my feminine wiles to get Mr. Jones’ attention so I can have an affair with him. Stupid, huh?”

Jack scooted closer to me and put his arm behind me. He smirked, “So are you? Trying to get in the sack with your boss?”

I shook my head. “Are you kidding? I didn’t even want to be his assistant. And no, I don’t want an affair with my boss. He’s not my type.”

Grinning at me, Jack asked, “What is your type?” He draped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me a bit closer to him.

I frowned at him. “Someone who doesn’t have a penis.”

Jack just smiled and tried to pull me closer to him. “You smell nice.” I continued to frown at him, so he pulled his arm back. “And it seems you are not only accepted as a woman at work, but possibly a rival. You are beautiful.”

I shook my head. “You’re crazy. Anyway, it wasn’t like I wanted to be Mr. Jones’ assistant. I want my old job back.”

Jack grinned at me as he ran his fingers through my disheveled hair. “Trust me when I say you’re beautiful.” He paused for a moment and then asked, “Do you want to go somewhere for dinner?”

I shook my head and laughed. “Will you stop flirting? Anyway, I’m tired. I was thinking of that Hot Pocket in the freezer and play something on the computer.”

Jack smiled at me. “I have a better idea. Let’s order Chinese. That way you don’t have to cook.”

I looked sideways at Jack. “It’s a Hot Pocket.”

He picked up my hand and gently rubbed my knuckles. “I insist.” He paused and then laughed. “At least that’s what I’m getting for me.”

I giggled. “Okay. You win.”

He kissed my fingers before putting my hand down to retrieve his phone from his pocket and clicked on one of his contacts.

I sighed. “This isn’t a date.”

Jack looked at me with a wry grin. “Of course not.”

I stood up. “While you’re doing that, I’m going to go change into sweats.”

Jack patted the spot on the couch where I had been sitting. “I’ll keep your seat warm.”

I folded my arms and just stared at him. He finally sighed and said, “Okay. I’ll stop.”

I laughed as I turned to go to my room to change. Jack really needs to tone down the flirting. Sometimes I can’t tell if he just kidding. He better be kidding…

*          *          *

The next few days went by fairly smooth. I started becoming friends with many of the other assistants. I even started going to lunch with s few of them. It shocked me just how much I was adjusting to putting on my make-up every morning and selecting a dress or skirt the night before. The novelty of Jack seeing me dressed as a woman was also thankfully starting to wear off.

The break in the monotony came on Friday when it was Mr. Jones’ birthday. He was turning fifty. Naturally we had to give him a party and naturally the job of organizing said party fell to his executive assistant – me. Fortunately, I wasn’t just tossed out to sea. I got a lot of help from the other assistants. Seems everyone likes parties at work. I had to arrange with the cafeteria a couple trays of finger food, and a bowel of punch. Since it was at work, it had to be kept relatively tame.

We had the party in one of the conference rooms. I spent the morning decorating the room. Thankfully I was able to recruit some help. All this for what was supposed to be limited to one hour.

One of the first to arrive was Ms. Lane. After she got some punch, she walked up to me, grinning. “Wow. Just look at you. You look amazing, Ms. Carter. I don’t think anyone would guess you were anything other than a woman your whole life.”

I smiled back at her. “Thank you, Ms. Lane.”

“I have to say, Ms. Carter. It seems being an assistant suits you. I hear a lot of good things about you from both other assistants and managers,” said Ms. Lane as she took another sip of punch.

I chuckled. “At first I thought I’d hate it, but I do enjoy the flexibility of it. And quite frankly, I think Mr. Jones would be lost without me.”

Ms. Lane nodded. “The indispensible woman. Well, speaking of Mr. Jones, I should probably go speak to him a moment and wish him happy birthday. Be sure to drop by and say hi sometime.”

As she turned to walk away, I said, “I will. Oh. And can I get my Godzilla back?” I don’t think she heard me. I decided I should start getting some pictures of the boss’ party. I had the official corporate camera and started taking some shots of the crowd. That’s when I noticed Nancy taking pictures with her phone. The company frowns on taking pictures of employees with personal devices during business hours.

Mr. Jones, wearing big grin walked up to me and put his arm around my waist. He said, “Hand the camera off to Nancy. I want to get a couple of shots with my favorite assistant." I saw a bit of annoyance cross her face as Nancy reached out for the camera.

She smiled at Mr. Jones as she said, “Surely.” She took a picture of me and Mr. Jones together. “Hold her a little closer, Mr. Jones so I can get a good shot of both of you. Yeah. Like that.” I didn’t say anything, but I have to admit that I was a bit uncomfortable with Mr. Jones holding me close to him.

“Thanks, Nancy,” I said. “I’ll take the camera back.”

Nancy held the camera out of my reach. “I don’t mind taking the pictures. You’re busy with the party. I’ll make sure you get it back.”

I muttered, “Thanks.” I really didn’t want her to have the camera, but I didn’t want to raise a fuss over it. I just hoped she didn’t break it since it was signed out to me.

The party went on about half an hour past time. I was kept busy with managing Mr. Jones and his guests. I lost track of Nancy. We were hardly friends and I was worried she might run off with the camera just to get me into trouble.

As the last stragglers were starting to leave the conference room, Nancy came strolling in from outside the room. She held out the camera. “Here your camera back, Garner. All safe and sound. I got some great pictures.”

I took the camera back from her. “Thanks, Nancy. I’ll drop this off to marketing so they can create a web page of the party.”

Nancy nodded. “You are so welcome. Are you and Mr. Jones going out to dinner later to celebrate his birthday?”

I stared blankly at her. “Um, no. Was I supposed to? Since his wife is here, Mr. Jones is leaving early with her.” At that moment, Mr. Jones, arm-in-arm with Mrs. Jones exited the conference room. A couple assistants thankfully volunteered to help me clean up.

Nancy tried to look disappointed. “Aw, that’s too bad. Maybe you and Mr. Jones can hook up later this week to celebrate.”

Anger building, I growled, “Cut the crap, Nancy. I have no interest in ‘hooking up’ with Mr. Jones, now or anytime. It would be inappropriate and besides, I have a boyfriend.” Jack of course, isn’t my boyfriend, but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind me referring to him as such.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to suggest anything,” Nancy said while looking embarrassed. “I seem to have struck a nerve. My bad. See you tomorrow.” She turned and left the conference room. I shook my head as I watched her leave.

*          *          *

Sarah and Katrina were standing by the elevator door watching me approach across the lobby. I smiled as I neared them, but they look bothered by something. When I got close, I greeted, “Hey girls. How’s it going?”

Katrina looked worried as she said, “Girlfriend, you should just turn around go back home. You don’t want to go to the office.”

Furrowing my brow, I asked, “Why not? What’s going on?”

Sarah said, “It’s a zoo up there, Garner. I think security is looking for you as well.”

Incredulous, I asked, “What? What are you talking about? Security? I need to see what’s going on.”

Katrina said, “We’ll go with you. But I have to ask… why did you do it? We thought you liked Mr. Jones?”

As the elevator doors closed, I said, “I do like Mr. Jones. I definitely need to find out what’s going on.”

As we exited the elevator, the scene really was like a zoo. A dozen or so assistants scurrying around. Mr. Jones was collapsed in a chair with the medical staff hovering over him, his wife nearby. IT and Security were examining computers.

One of the assistants pointed at me and shouted, “Hey! There she is!” People turned to look at me.

I started to walk up to Mrs. Jones. “Ms. Jones. What is going on here? Is Mr. Jones…”

Whack!

My face stung from a vicious slap from Mrs. Jones.

Mrs. Jones screamed, “How dare you! How could you do this to my husband? You slut!” She was about to strike me again when a security guy caught her arm.

The security guy said quietly, “Please go check on your husband, Mrs. Jones.” Turning to me, he asked, “Are you Ms. Garner Carter?”

I nodded. “Yes. What’s going on?”

The security guy then asked, “Are you responsible for these pictures?”

Confused, I shook my head. “What pictures?”

The security officer frowned. “You know which pictures, ma’am.”

Frowning deeply, I said, “No. I don’t. What are you talking about?”

Huffing, the security officer lifted his pad computer up and selected a picture. “Did you not load these pictures to the corporate web site for the world to see?”

I gasped as I looked at the pictures as the security officer scrolled through them. The pictures appeared to be nude photos of Mr. Jones and ME?! It looked like we were both having a fun old drunken time. Mr. Jones had his dong out and in a few photos it looked like I was giving him a blowjob and a few more showed his penis deep inside my vagina. Except I don’t have one.

The security officer frowned at me as he continued scrolling through the pictures of wild nude sex. “Are you denying knowledge of these photographs?”

Scowling, I pointed at the pad computer. “I’ve never seen these before!” A couple of other security officers gathered around. Other employees were staring and pointing.

The security officer pointed at one picture with a very clear picture of my face. “Are you denying this is a photograph of you?”

Stammering, I said, “Y… yes of course I’m denying it. I mean. Yes, that’s my face. But that’s not my body!”

The officer frowned. He nodded towards a desk where Sarah and Katrina were standing. “Do you mind waiting over there a moment?”

I felt faint. I couldn’t believe this was happening. I walked over and joined Sarah and Katrina at the desk.

Sarah was looking at her phone. “Wow…company stock has really gone to shit this morning.”

Katrina looked at her phone. “I saved these pics before they removed them from the web page.” She shook her head before looking up at me. “Damn girl! You’re smokin’ hot. I’d kill for a bod like that.”

Before I could respond, Ms. Lane came storming up to me. “Ms. Carter! I can’t believe this! I certainly misjudged you! Not only having an affair with Mr. Jones, but taking pictures of it as well! Just disgusting!”

“Ms. Lane… girls…” I looked from Ms. Lane to the others and back. “Those pictures aren’t me! You know that!”

Ms. Lane frowned. “We’ve never seen you naked, so how would we know?”

Exasperated, I hissed to avoid being overheard, “I’m an outtie, not an innie. All of you know that! Those pictures can’t be of me!”

Ms. Lane looked thoughtful a moment. “That’s right. We’ll have to figure out something. We can’t expose you without implicating all of us.”

A different security officer walked up to us. Sternly, he said, “Ms. Carter, I need you to turn over your badge and keys, please.”

A chill shot down my spine. “Am I being fired?”

Still holding his hand out, the security officer said, “You’re being suspended pending further investigation. Mr. Jones doesn’t remember anything, but you could have drugged him.”

“Drugged him!” I almost shouted. I pointed to Ms. Lane and the other two. “You guys are my witnesses for when I sue.”

Extending his palm towards me, the officer said simply, “Miss?”

I opened my purse and removed my badge and slapped it into the waiting palm. I did the same with my keys.

Expressionless, the security officer said, “You need to leave, Ms. Carter. You are not to come back until further notice.”

I looked hopefully to Ms. Lane. She looked down at her feet and then back up to me. “You should go, Garner. I’ll talk to you later.”

Katrina said, “Take care, girl. We know you didn’t do it. We’re here for you.”

I nodded and turned to leave. Two security guards took positions on either side of me to escort me from the building. I managed to stay composed until I stepped out of the building and then the tears flowed in torrents.

*          *          *

End Part 5

up
290 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, it’s fairly obvious that Nancy doctored the photos......

D. Eden's picture

And any competent IT person should be able to tell that.

I still think that Ms. Lane is in on the whole thing though. She still seems more than happy that Garner was moved, and she doesn’t seem too willing to stick up for him even now.

Curious as to where this goes. As I previously stated, there have been numerous laws broken by members of the company, like changing Garner’s records without his knowledge - not to mention someone sending in a fake resignation letter that was supposedly from him.

When it all comes out there will be hell to pay.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

what the heck?

well he can prove it isn't his body at least.

DogSig.png

Wow, Nancy is vicious I

Wow, Nancy is vicious I wonder if she thought she was going to be sleeping with Mr. Jones and she was mad here plans were ruined. Or maybe she was already having an affair with him that would explain where she got the nude body photos from that she photo shopped. Of course since she photo shopped Garners head onto another body I suppose she could have done the same thing with Mr Jones. Not too smart to try to destroy the company you work for though. hope she likes prison when the truth comes out.

Nancy for whatever reason is

Nancy for whatever reason is vindictive; Ms. Lane too often remains silent and Katrina knows that Ms. Garner Carter is innocent and has saved some evidence. As a reader, I'm not sure what Garner's future is.
Does Garner want to get back to being the guy and analyst, or be the woman she's become used to being? I hope either way she is vindicated. However, it turns out Garner's seen life from a new perspective. He/she will never be the same.

Hug or thanks, Melanie,
Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

My feelings are that Garner

My feelings are that Garner likes his new image and I do think a part of him would like to go back to being an analyst, but I do think he is learning to like being an assistant just not liking the cattiness and back stabbing going on.

This would explain

Why Garner doesn't remember anything after getting home. The drug was slow taking effect. If Garner had passed out at the party, there would be a huge problem.

Unless Jack has been paid off.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Actually, the passing out

Actually, the passing out incident happened earlier than the party. So I don't think Jack is involved.

Explosive Cliff Hanger

BarbieLee's picture

Ms. Melanie Brown I don't see how you will be able to wrap a ribbon around this one with only one more chapter. You buried your leading actress pretty deep. I'd need ten more chapter just to pull her out of the cesspool you tossed her in. If I may, like all your enthralled readers, guess at the rescue. Pictures saved, good, accusations made without proof and only on assumption, bad. Garner's computer is password protected, possible breech? Pictures are photo shopped without doubt, easily proven by changing them into digital data pixels won't line up. Nancy didn't have time to do it during the party. Provided she did it. Again assumptions who's guilty? Not easy to hide in the digital age, who posted the pictures?
Jones left with his wife and he ends up with amnesia "I don't remember." and she doesn't. I strongly suspect Melanie has tossed us red herring on this one and it isn't who everyone thinks.
Garner is an analyst so get to work girl. She's cleared of any wrong doing. Company keeps her on with a nice wage hike and bonus as a gender inclusive company. She is their center piece to use as how open the company is to LBGT and satisfy hiring quotas. Of course they use her just as they use everyone but she's well paid for it and can live with it.
The situation with Jack, I have no idea. It would take me ten chapters just to flesh that situation out.
Hugs Melanie
Barb
Life is meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

There’s an obvious way out, but will Garner take it?

Robertlouis's picture

Nancy - because of course it was Nancy - doesn’t know that Garner is a guy.

Does the woman in the faked pictures have a penis? Well?

Hmm.

Over to you, Ms Brown...

☠️

Whaaaaat? No way!

Some people are sooo vicious. With an ending like that you really have us on tenterhooks. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the next part.

>>> Kay

Aliens...

It's always the little green men with this plotline. Seriously, I think it's going to be one heck of a surprise ending.

Cliff-hangers

Truly, this is an excellent cliff-hanger. Well done Mel, for leaving us on such tenterhooks!

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Nagging thought...

Robertlouis's picture

...so I went back to check.

In chapter one one of Garner’s female colleagues remarks that he should have grown his hair out for the Halloween contest. It’s only been a few days. If he’s still got a masculine haircut won’t people have noticed?

☠️

If it were so...

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

If Garner's hair was too dreadfully short, someone would have said so. If it would have rendered his image as woman unbelievable, there would have been a more specific comment. In fact, Laura asks whether Katrina has time to do Garner's hair. This suggests that there is enough hair to work with.

When Katrina says, "You should have been letting your hair grow this year," she's implying that Garner has wanted to dress as a woman for some time, and was curious to see how Garner would respond. Having longer hair would have helped, but no one is complaining that there isn't enough.

- io

I just re-read the story up to here

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

... and I have to say, I'm puzzled. Both Garner and Mr Jones had blackouts, but on two separate days. If they were drugged, it's hard to see how it would have happened.

In fact, it's hard to see what DID happen. Did Mr Jones have an affair with some other woman? Nancy? Did Jeff, the stalker, have something to do with this?

Oh... what about Bill? He stole Garner's Godzilla. If I were Herculina Poirot, that one detail would be enough to untangle the whole mystery.

Can't wait to see!

- io

Comfuzzled

Melanie Brown's picture

I was going to try maybe clear up some things, but I enjoy the discussion. Maybe I'll do a postmortem after posting the final chapter.

Melanie

Nightmare

This whole thing is reading like a crazy nightmare, and I'm starting to wonder if that's what it is. What if she didn't wake up in bed in her bra and panties, but this has all been a dream?

It's certainly dark enough to be just that.

My Bad

Melanie Brown's picture

I probably shouldn't have tried to write while my personal life was not going well. I don't know if this clears anything up, but there was no resignation letter. Ms. Lane just told the management team that to explain why the male Garner was no longer around. She just didn't know what to do. No conspiracy on HR changing Garner to female. When they checked with Mr. Jones about it, of course he said Garner was female and they must have a clerical error. Sorry about any confusion on that.

Melanie

No Confusion

Speaking for myself, all that was quite clear. Of course, as a reader, one who avidly enjoys mentally participating in your stories, following along with your protagonist, I found the twists and turns and helplessness to feel more dream-like than real-world. And, of course, wondering what a real person would do in certain circumstances is always going to lead in directions perhaps not what the author intended, so of course I recognize that and apologize in advance.

The doctored photos are a very, very serious assault on our hero(ine), not to mention the CEO, and the company. Would it were me (it's not, I know that!), I'd be very tempted to demand a private interview with Security on the spot ("to show you important evidence"). They wouldn't refuse. Unbuttoning a blouse would suffice, of course, and they would realize that it was Nancy who is committing corporate sabotage by posting those photos. He wouldn't even have to out himself as male, just unendowed in the breast department, unlike the girl in the photos. Would he be too afraid even to do that? I don't know. He's your character, but your characters usually have a bit of moxie in them!

Ditto on the "no confusion"

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Yes, Ms. Lane was always helpful, even funny when she could be... I took her remark about the rude letter to be a way of slamming the door against further inquiries. Otherwise, the managers might have thought that they'd like to hire this Garner person -- on the strength of the report he'd written.

Ooops. Double post.

I do wish we could delete duplicates when we accidentally push a "Save" button twice, not realizing that the system was just a bit slow.

Sorry!

Robertlouis's picture

Apologies, Melanie.

As impatient and sometimes selfish readers, I guess we assume that all is always sweetness and light in the busy lives of authors. Hope that all that matters personal swiftly gets back on an even keel for you.

And please forgive all the carping. As always with you it’s a terrific, engrossing and involving story, which is why it’s attracting so many comments.

Hugs

Rob x

☠️

Knee jerk reactions

Jamie Lee's picture

Garner is in one heck of a pickle, thanks to Nancy. Unbeknownst to Nancy, Garner can physically prove who is seen in the photo with Mr. Jones isn't her. But only if he wants to shock everyone.

Like usual, the knee jerk reaction is to blame someone before investigating the how. What those morons need to focus on are the progression of pictures, unless the pictures are time stamped. More than likely the pictures taken had Garner in them, so when could 'she' and Mr. Jones slipped away from the party. And if anyone saw Nancy with the camera, or when she gave the camera back to Garner, her butt is in a sling.

Strange how Ms. Lane suddenly remember Garner's true gender. Why now? She pushed female Garner at all the meetings, so he was stuck being female Garner.

Hopefully security will learn the truth and Nancy gets her desert. If the truth is discover, there will be several who owe Garner an apology. Including Mrs. Jones for slapping Garner.

Others have feelings too.