Marcie And The Amazons: 20. Our Boat Turns Out To Be A Ship

Printer-friendly version

"Well, then, Ding-Dong Belle Dubois," the Captain replied, "In answer to your question, a boat is just a little thing. You can play with a boat in your bathtub. The Seward is a SHIP, and don't you forget it!"

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

20. Our Boat Turns Out To Be A Ship

 

Ms. Popken gave Wiggy and me a look. "Now, girls, please don't take this question in the wrong way, though I'm sure you will." Turning to Riley, she asked, "If there aren't any men, is there at least any alcohol on board?"

A slow smile spread over Riley's face. "You know, it's funny that you ask. Usually we'd stock up before a trip, but this time, since nearly all the passengers are underage, we only have a few bottles of wine... enough for a glass or two a day for each adult, and no more. The Captain's set a strict limit."

"How is that funny?" Poppy asked, a little annoyed.

"It's funny because until yesterday we had cases and cases of Scotch."

"Whisky?"

Riley nodded. "Whisky and haggis."

"Haggis?" Poppy asked. "What sort of drink is that? Is it a liqueur?"

Riley began laughing.

"No, it's a kind of exotic Scottish sausage. See, we had this group who wanted to have a Burns Night later in the month, and they had Scotch and haggis sent on ahead. But then there were some... problems —" she broke off, laughing again.

"What happened?" Wiggy asked.

"Oh, I can't tell you," she said. "Can't tell other clients' business. Well, okay... since you've twisted my arm, I'll tell you. They argued with the Captain... about the price — after the deal was closed — and about sword dancing."

"Sword dancing?" I asked.

Grinning, Riley waved her arms as if she had a sword in each hand, and cocking her legs, danced a little jig. "They wanted to have a girl who danced with a pair of swords, but the Captain wouldn't have it. It's traditional — but, as the Captain said, it's not traditional on a sailing ship.

"Anyway, I suspect there was more to it than all that, but in the end we had to send back all the whisky. They told us we could keep the haggis. We couldn't ship it to the United States anyway. It's illegal."

Miss Popken looked profoundly disappointed, disinterested, and maybe even disgusted.

"Why is it illegal?" Wiggy asked.

Riley shrugged. "Fear of the unknown, I suppose."

"Can we try it?" I asked.

"You can all try it," Riley promised. "Some of the crew like it, but it's a bit too, uh, flavorful for me."
 

When we were done talking about haggis, Wiggy began to pepper Riley with questions about the longboat.

"I saw you have a motor on the longboat," she asked. "Do you ever row it?"

"No," Riley said. "We don't bother. Some passengers have tried, but it takes too many people... and they have to know how to row together. Usually they start smacking each other's oars, and quit. Although we did have one group that was able to make it go for a bit."

"Is it a lot of work?" I asked.

"No, it's just that have to know how to work together."

"So if one or two people need to run ashore, they couldn't just row..." she seemed disappointed.

"If somebody really wanted to row," Riley interrupted, "They could take the dory."

"You have a dory?" Wiggy squeaked in excitement.

"What's a dory?" I asked.

"It's a little rowboat," Wiggy replied. "I have a dory back home! One of my father's friends made it for me!"

"What kind?" Riley asked.

"Swampscott," Wiggy replied.

Poppy and I looked at each other and shrugged. I guess there were two of us who didn't know boats — thank goodness!

"Do you think I could try the dory a bit?" Wiggy asked. "I've won some rowing contests."

"Have you really?" Riley said. "When we get to the island you can do a bit of rowing, but the Captain wants to get underway as soon as possible." Wiggy nodded, and Riley continued, "So where did you do your rowing?"

"Every summer we go to Port Hatchapee, down the shore*," Wiggy replied.

They talked distances and rowing speeds for a bit, and when the sea talk went beyond incomprehensible and verged on boring, Poppy and I tuned it out.

We walked to the end of the dock together and jumped down to the beach. At the same moment, we both knelt and took a handful the supernaturally fine sand.

"I've never felt sand this soft," Poppy said in a subdued voice.

"And it's so incredibly white," I added.

All around us fell the hushed rumble and hiss of the surf.

We looked up at the sky and at the sea. Mom was right: the sea was blue here. And the sky was not the same sky I saw at home, not even in California. It was a different blue.

"It's a tropical blue," Poppy said, reminding me of the color Mom and Maisie had chosen for my bedroom walls.

"Yes, it is," I agreed. Now, my bedroom would always remind me of this place. Echoing what Wiggy said earlier, I said, "So far in my life, the most beautiful place I've been is Bora Bora Airport!"

The wind gave us a soft lick, and Poppy said, "Yes, Marcie, it is beautiful, isn't it? I still can't believe I'm really here!"

"I'm so glad to be warm after all that snow," I commented, and she sighed happily in agreement.

Just then the longboat pulled into view.

Wiggy and Riley tied it to the dock, and the five of us formed a line to pass the luggage up to Flannery, who arranged them in the boat.

By the time we got underway, we were all very red and very hot.

"Hope you girls brought your sunblock and your hats," Flannery commented. She yanked the ripcord and brought the motor to life. The boat slid away from the dock. The land fell away behind us.

Now we were starting our adventure at sea. Wiggy squeezed my arm in silent excitement.
 

The moment we emerged from the airport's cove, the ship came into view.

"Whoa!" I exclaimed in amazement. "It's like a pirate ship!"

"Somebody always says that," Flannery commented. "What was that girl's name? Ding-Dong? She said it on the first trip out."

I blushed at the comparison, and Riley laughed.

"Don't let Flannery bother you," Riley told me. "You're right: it does look like a pirate ship. That sort of ship is called a brigantine, because it's got two masts and it's square rigged."

"Square rigged?" I repeated.

"It means the sails are square," Riley replied.

"That's not what it means," Flannery contradicted.

Riley shrugged. "It's close enough."

Flannery spat into the water, which shocked me. I'd never seen a woman spit before. I wasn't sure what to make of Flannery. She seemed friendly enough, but maybe she was touchy about nautical terms? I guessed I might have a better idea in a few days.

As we got closer, we came around the tail-end of the ship and saw its name written in large script across the stern: Seward's Folly. Wiggy read it aloud and began to laugh.

"Why is that funny?" Flannery asked. "Every so often somebody laughs, but I never get the joke."

"It's what people used to call Alaska," Wiggy told her. "A man named Seward bought Alaska from Russia. At the time, people thought it was worthless, so they called it Seward's Folly."

"And this Seward fellow had the money to do that?" Flannery asked.

"No," replied Wiggy, "He was Secretary of State."

"Hmmph," Flannery grunted.

"I guess your Mr. Seward figured it would be a funny name," I put in.

"I guess," Flannery agreed. "Looky here: what we're going to do is get you passengers aboard and then Riley and me'll work the luggage up."

And that's what we did. We had to climb a ladder fixed to the side of the boat. Riley helped from below, and two sailors (both women, of course) helped from above. They didn't really need to. It wasn't hard. Even Poppy made it up without a problem.

"Good," one of the sailors commented when the three of us were aboard. "The Captain's been itching to give her welcome-aboard speech. Mind you don't laugh unless you're good and sure that she's joking."

We sat on the deck next to Graffy and Grooty, and the instant our butts touched down, Captain Blackett launched into her speech, and this is what she said:

"In the first place, I've heard some of you talking, and you've been calling this old tub a boat.

"When I heard that, I shut my eyes so I wouldn't see the culprit, because nothing makes my blood boil like hearing this lovely lady called a boat." She pronounced the word boat as if it were something dirty.

"If it's not a boat, what is it?" Ding-Dong asked in a puzzled tone.

The Captain stared at Ding-Dong as if she was amazed. Captain Blackett was a good-looking woman with sunbleached red hair, and freckled pale skin. In spite of her lack of tan, you could see she was always in the sun. She was an outdoorsy type of woman, with a loose red shirt, large plaid shorts, and sandals on her feet. Her eyebrows and the hair on her arms were bleached blonde by the sun. She wore a very faded sky-blue baseball cap on her head.

And she obviously wasn't used to being interrupted. "What's your name, girl?" she asked.

"Ding-Dong Dubois," came the perky reply.

"Ding-Dong Dubois!" the captain repeated in an incredulous tone. "Did your parents give you that name?"

"No," Ding-Dong laughed. "My real name is Belle."

"Well, then, Ding-Dong Belle Dubois," the captain replied, "In answer to your question, a boat is just a little thing. You can play with a boat in your bathtub. The Seward is a SHIP, and don't you forget it!

"If I hear ANYONE call this ship a boat, I'll throw that person to the sharks. I'll tie you to a rope and drag you in our wake for a day, just to teach you!"

At that, Cakey couldn't help it: I don't know what she was thinking, but she cracked a little smile. The Captain saw it.

"You, girl, what's your name?"

"Cakey Keese."

"Cakey Keese," the captain repeated cautiously. "And your real name?"

"Katrien."

"Katrien Cakey Keese," the captain said, as if she was memorizing it. "I can see you're a mischief-maker, aren't you, Katrien Cakey Keese?"

Cakey's eyebrows went up, but she didn't reply.

"Don't joke with me, girls," the captain told us all. "This isn't the place for practical jokes. Rule number one: don't pretend to be in danger if you're not. And for God's sake, don't shout 'Man overboard' unless somebody's actually fallen overboard. Life on board is a good life, but there are times — and I hope to God we won't have any of those times — but there are times when the only difference between living and dying will be doing what I say.

"Which brings me to rule number two: if I give you an order, girls, I want you to hop to it and not ask me why. If a member of the crew asks you something, as they tell you it's Captain's Orders, I want you to do it. If you don't like it, if you wonder why, you can ask questions later, but when you hear an order, you do what you're asked, then and there.

"Can you promise me, girls? Will you do that for me?"

We sat in silence, glancing at each other, so the Captain bellowed, "WILL YOU DO THAT FOR ME, GIRLS?"

"Yes!" we responded as one.

"That's great," she said in an unconvinced tone. "Just because of that, and to show you that we're all friends, I'm going to let you all call me by my first name." She smiled to herself, and looked down at Ding-Dong. "Can you guess what my first name is, Ding-Dong Belle Dubois?"

"Captain?" Ding-Dong offered meekly.

"That's right!" the Captain roared. "It's Captain! When you speak to me, no matter who you are, no matter what's afoot, you'll address me as Captain, or you won't speak to me at all. It's my name, it's my title, it's my function, all rolled up into one.

"So, welcome aboard, girls! Now, I'm going back to the business of running this ship. We've got to get underway, so I'm turning you over to Shaylen, my first officer. She's going to run through some safety instructions, and if you don't listen up and pay close attention, you'll be hearing from me.

"Before I go, are there any questions?"

Ding-Dong was the only one to raise her hand. The captain waited, but no one else put their hand up, so she nodded to the girl.

"Will we be sailing around Cape Horn?" Ding-Dong asked.

"Good lord!" exclaimed the Captain. "We'd better not! Anything else?"

There were no more questions, so the Captain strode off, and Shaylen came forward. She was a dark young woman, with a dark tan, and dark brown hair tied in a pony tail. She was likeable and friendly, and seemed to know our names already. Shaylen ran through the safety protocols, pointed out the emergency equipment, and told us what to do if anyone was hurt or fell overboard...

She quizzed us a bit, and when she was satisfied, she nodded to another sailor, saying, "Tell the Captain we're ready to get underway."

The other girl turned her head and bellowed, "Ready to get underway!" Someone further along repeated the cry, and so did a third.

"Now," Shaylen told us, "your bags are over there. However, I strongly suggest that first you go below and choose your rooms, and then come back for your luggage. There's not a lot of room to maneuver down there, so the picking will go a lot easier if you're not holding your bags.

"After that, you're free to wander about, and if we're still hauling up the sails, you could give us a hand. When all that's done, we'll meet me back here, and I'll show you where lunch can be found. All right? All right!" We stood looking at her a moment, so she said, "Go now, shoo! Pick your rooms, stow your bags!"

We made our way downstairs — I mean, below. The room choice wasn't hard. Everyone except me had already studied the ship's layout, and knew where they were headed. The eight Amazons took the two four-bed cabins, which were in the middle of the ship. The two teachers each took a room in the back, or aft, and Wiggy and I took the foremost cabin. It wasn't very big, so we stored a lot of our belongings in the room across the hall. The outer wall curved out so that the ceiling was slightly bigger than the floor.

The beds were bunks, one above the other, and because of the curve of the wall, the higher bed was set further back than the lower. That meant that Wiggy, who took the upper bunk, could look down at me just by turning her head.

"It's not bad, is it?" Wiggy asked, a bit anxiously. I think she was still afraid I'd want my own room.

"It's fine," I said, and to reassure her I added, "I think we'll be quite comfy here."

At that, she gave a relieved smile.

"Once I get used to this rocking," I added.

Wiggy laughed. "Oh, yeah. Soon you'll hardly notice. But I'll tell you one thing, it makes it a lot easier to sleep!"

"Oh, good," I replied, as the left side of the room rose and fell in a steady rhythm.

"Let's go up on deck and help them haul out the sheets!" Wiggy enthused.

"And change the beds?" I asked, tongue in cheek.

Wiggy paused, unsure whether I was serious.

"I'm joking!" I laughed. "Let's get this old tub sailing!"



* Down the shore: A New-Jersey-ism. The southeast coast of New Jersey is all beach, and since north is up and south is down, when you go to the beach, you go "down the shore."

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Captain

I wonder if Captains Blackett first name is Nancy (Lilly) or Peggy... and where is Captain Flint. XD

Shiver My Timbers!

Barbecued Billygoats, Robin, what's all this about Lilly? Nancy Blackett's "real" name was Ruth, but her Uncle Jim (Captain Flint) said that Amazon pirates were "ruthless". The only person to call Nancy "Ruth" was the dreaded Great Aunt.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Nancy Blacket

I am not sure anymore in which book it was, but as I read it in czech translation, Peggy once said about Nancy something like this: "well, her name is Lilly, but because uncle Jim says Amazonos were no Lillies, she settled for Nancy."

Interesting

It is interesting that you read it in a Czech translation. It comes up in the original Swallows and Amazons where the Swallows and the Anazons are having their first parley on Wild Cat Island, and she is definitely Ruth and ruthless, but that obviously does not translate into Czech in a meaningful way. I shall have to ask the Czech husband of one of my cousins.

But the thought of the bold Nancy being called Lilly really makes me giggle.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Swallows and Amazons: Fight about island, czech translation

„Já jsem Nancy Blackettová, velitelka a spolumajitelka Amazonky, postrach moří. A tohle je Peggy Blackettová, první důstojník a spolumajitel lodi."
„Ona se nejmenuje doopravdy Nancy," prozrazovala Peggy. „Jmenuje se Lilly, ale strýček říká, že Amazonky žádné lilie nebyly, a protože se naše loď jmenuje Amazonka a my jsme pirátky Amazonky od řeky Amazonky, musely jsme ji přejmenovat. Tu loď nám dal loni strýček Jim. Předtím jsme měly jenom veslici."

WOW!

I lurve Blackettová!

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Fair Fa’ ye’r Honest Sonsie Face…

…Great Chieftain o’ the puddin’ race,
Abune them a’ ye tak y3e’r place
Painch, Tripe or… etc., etc. (Inaccurate quote from Burns’ Address to the Haggis.

So the Amazons are going to survive on a diet of haggis? Lucky girls; I aDORE haggis.

Cap'n Blackett certainly lives up to Captain Flint's definition in that she's certainly Ruthless.

Great chapter Kaleigh. Just remember there's no E in Scotch!

Hugs
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Remember the most important rule on the water ...

Always launch your boat/ship open side up.

A brigantine , like the late great Brigantine Yankee of National Geographic Fame?

A brigantine is a kind of hybrid ship, a mix of square and triangular sails. They are more maneuverable than a pure square rigger and I believe because more of the sails are triangular with a lower edge boom that can be sung from port to starboard, side to side, easily as needed -- like the sails on a schooner or many sailing yachts -- they need less crew per mast. If memory serves a square rigger can carry more square feet of canvas on it’s masts than a schooner so has advantages when the wind is coming from the stern,. The huge spinnaker sails on racing yachts are an attempt to make up for that disadvantage in total square footage of sail.

A schooner and other ships with triangular sails can sail more closely into the wind and are more maneuverable. With winding gear and other simple aids its essentially one man/woman per mast instead of dozens.

Whatever,…

Nice story.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Aaaaarrr! I just had to talk like a pirate.

John in Wauwatosa

Square and triangular sails

It's a square-rigger, but it also has triangular sails and jibs. I don't think (but could easily be mistaken) that a square-rigger must have ALL sails rigged that way.

Note on pic reference and square-rigs

erin's picture

While the topic is hermaphrodite brig, the picture on that page is apparently of a true brigantine or even a brig. Bad wiki, bad. No kuki.

Finding out what sailing rigs are called is like finding out what the colors of horses are called. I'm serious. A lot of people try to explain sorrel by telling you it isn't chestnut, which it is but very bright red-orange. Or they tell you that a brown is a black horse that isn't black. :)

As I understand the text of the story, the foremast of the Seward is square-rigged and the mainmast is schooner-rigged with triangular top and the mainsail on a gaff. That rig is, in fact, what's usually called brigantine by Americans today even if old British sailors from three generations ago would have called it something else.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Ahoy!! Me Mateys!!! Thar's A Good Story A Brewin' {:=+-)

That Riley looks to be a real fun lady and the Captain too. I bet the Amazons never thought that they'd be on such a ship. Now where is Long John Silver or Johnny Depp as a pirate? I wonder what misadventure Marcie will have on board the good ship "Seward's Folly"? By the way, the Yankee Clipper was the fastest sailing ship ever built.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Haggis!

Of all the foods not to take to the tropics, haggis has to be top of the list! I hope the girls enjoy their haggis. I think haggis needs to be taken on a numbed palate, which is why the Scots invented Scotch, I suppose.

At any rate, a haggis isn't exactly a sausage: it's a sheep's stomach stuffed with the minced heart, lungs, and liver of the sheep, mixed up with suet, onions, oatmeal, and various other seasonings, thought to be the sweepings of the kill floor. The whole thing is boiled before being serves with neeps, which are mashed turnips, and tatties, which are mashed potatoes. You have to be pretty boiled, yourself, before you can face the whole thing.

A full Burns Night supper may start with cock-a-leekie soup, go on to haggis, and then a bit of roast beef. The haggis will be piped in—brought in quite ceremoniously on a great big silver platter, behind that young man in a skirt, doing unspeakable things to the poor cat under his arm. (Our last piper was a Korean lad from Queens. At least he was wearing a New York City tartan kilt.)

Looking forward to the Amazons discovering what a haggis is, and just how many times they'll have to eat it aboard ship.

Take care, and keep the installments coming!
rg

Haggis

The late-80s/early-90s video game series Earthworm Jim gave us one of the most entertaining mid-90s cartoon around. One running gag in the series was... haggis. The "hang-out" of the good guys (Earthworm Jim, his sidekick Peter Puppy, his girlfriend Princess Whatsername, his backpack utility creature Snott, and the Narrator) was IHOH -- the International House of Haggis! Their first visit there, they defined what haggis was, and then anytime anyone in the series asked what it was (which was surprisingly often), Peter would blanch and define it in a monotone.

    Peter: (at the International House of Haggis) Hey...this haggis stuff is great!! Say, how come no one comes here, anyway? (takes a big bite of haggis)
    Jim: Because haggis is made from the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep boiled in its own stomach.
    Peter:
    (looks absolutely repulsed)

Oi!

Hey maybe its just cos im scottish but i love haggis :-P

is that really eadable?

now that you told as what it contains I'm not certain I would want to even try it. It sounds like really: Yuk!!!

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

It's soooo delicious…

…especially when served traditionally (as it is on Burns' Nicht and St Andrew's Nicht) wi' bashed neeps and chappit tatties and a wee dram o' whisky as gravy on the Haggis.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Ghille Chalum or…

The Ghille Chalum or Scottish Sword Dance does not involve waving swords around—the swords are placed on the floor in the form of a cross and the dancer steps daintily around them placing toes in each sector in turn, moving from north to south then east and west. As I child I learned Highland dancing and used to dance on crossed swords every week, and my teacher, an ancient haridan whom we had to call Mistress MacClusky preferred that we bairns danced the Ghille Chalum barefoot.

Methinks Riley had picked up the wrong end of the sword.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Thanks -- I can fix that...

The Captain didn't want swords onboard a sailing ship, waved or no.

Thanks for the info, Gabi.

The Folly of Swordplay

The folly of swordplay aboard ships brings to mind the following:

There once was a sailor named Bates
Who danced the Fandango on skates
'Twas a fall on his cutless
That rendered him nutless
...and practically useless on dates.

Hilarious!

That is excellent!

I suppose if ...

... he were the skipper of his ship he'd have a master's certificate and be known as Master Bates. This all reminds of a song we used to sing in the pub called 'The Good Ship Venus'. It went on a bit ;)

I hope Marcie learns that 'sheets' aren't sails, but the ropes that control them and allow for adjustment to achieve maximum drive from the wind. Sails are hauled up the mast on halliards. She'll probably find that despite the apparent evidence of her eyes there aren't any ropes on a sailing ship. All those bits of string have special names like sheet; topping lift; halliard; kicking strap or boom vang;

Odd that the skipper isn't keen on swords when I expect every member of the crew will be carrying a sharp knife.

Enjoying this Kayleigh but it looks like you'll have to be careful with your sailing terminology; there seems to be a few sailors here.

Geoff (who used to sail a big concrete yacht - rather like putting to sea in a block of flats :) )

Re: I suppose if

I was going to say that the correct word is halyards, not halliards, but I just found out both are correct. I've read a lot of stories involving ships over the last 43 years, and until today, I had never seen the halliards spelling.

Thanks for the various "string" names, Geoff. Interestingly, I can't recall ever seeing most of those names, other than halyard(s); in most stories I've read, the term ropes was all that was used.

ding dong

ding dong has something about her that makes me laugh so hard i almost fall off the chair im reading from. I cant wait till more from her. Im surprised she hasent asked when they will go to the sewer yet.

bimbo cheerleaders

Having Ding Dong in the story and being the way she is maybe Kaleigh should consider the tag "Bimbos / Bimboization" for this Marcie story as well ;).
The Amazons would probably justify the tag: "Gym Class / Cheerleaders" too.
Then again its all about Marcy not her supporting crew.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

the call of the sea

Hi again,

all this talk of sailing terminology makes me want to sail again myself, if only it was not that dangerous for finger nails and the skin on your hands.
I wonder how the Amazons will feel about that, when the captain is screaming: "tighter, ... tighter, I said TIGHTER!!!", Ding Dong answers "But my top is already as tight as it goes ..." and one of the other "OH great, ... I just broke a nail ..." ...

Also with Marcie on board they are bound to get in a storm, meet some mermaids who introduce them to "Capitan Nemo on his Nautilus" and the to "Flying Dutchman", nearly don't make it past "Skylla" and "Kharybdis" , Ding Dong gets changed into a donkey by "Kirke" (all 3 emigrated to the pacific when people stopped believing in them in the Greek world ;-) ) and gets rescued by Marcie and all that in just one day. I wonder what the next day will bring. Probably being upducted my little green or gray men in a disk like space shape who came of course on their way to the Bermudas.

The whole thing just reminds me of my 3 day sailing trip on the Ijsselmeer in 1999. 3 days against the wind constantly working on day sails and the side boards of our boat. Since the water is so shallow (5 to 6 meters tops and often a lot less) a Dutch Barge have no keel and there for the wind would just push them side ways. Thats why they have those side boards that you put in the water on the leeward side of the boat. When ever the ship turns you not only have to take care of the sails but also of the boards - at least if you want to be fast.
Still it was lots of fun and we always were the fasted. Last out of the port and one of the first in. Ready for another night of party ;)

Here are a few links to:

Glossary of nautical terms
some sail-plans
type of sailing ships

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

turnips :-(

well i've heard of hagis b4, but, never had opertunity to try it....guess I'll ensure N O T to now.

BTW - turnips are one of the 7 foods I refuse to eat no matter what.