Marcie And The Amazons: 44. Finally Better

Printer-friendly version

There was a new, unread email sitting in my inbox.

It was from Kaleigh Way.

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

44. Finally Better

 

When I woke the next morning, the first thought in my mind was the mess of emails I'd sent last night. I drew a deep breath. Did I have to be such an idiot? Why did I send those emails? Why didn't I wait and look at them the next day?

I mean, who in the world was Kaleigh Way, and why did I think she'd care about me?

Maybe after she read the first email, she'd delete the rest without reading them.

At the very least, she'd think I was mentally unbalanced. Why in the world did I spill my guts to a total stranger?

Still, there was nothing for it but to face the music. I sat down at my desk and woke up my computer.

There was a new, unread email sitting in my inbox.

It was from Kaleigh Way. My heart rate picked up a bit as I clicked to open the message. This is what it said:

 

Dear Marcie,

I was just about to get ready for bed when your email arrived — the first one, where you asked about the fairy tales. *That* question is easy to answer, and I'll tell you in a minute...

Just as I finished reading your message, your second email arrived. I have to tell you, I was exhausted last night, and really wanted to sleep, but once I started reading your story — I mean, what happened to you — I couldn't stop. The third email came, and the fourth, and so on...

I kept on reading, all the way to the end, and by that time, I was completely awake.

When I got to the end of your last email, my first thought was, Oh, you poor girl! and I had to write an answer tonight.

You asked whether I think you're crazy. Well, I don't have any training in medicine or psychology, but I *have* seen crazy people, and you don't sound like one of them.

By the way, I have heard of you. I saw you on the news, and after reading your emails, I googled you. You certainly lead an adventurous life. Your dreams — or whatever they were — don't seem much different from what usually happens to you.
 

Now let's talk about your questions. About the fairy tales: I don't know any story called Princess Marcelline, but I do know the story that you're talking about. It's actually *two* stories: most of what you told comes from Gracieuse and Percinet by Madame d'Aulnoy. It's a French fairy tale, which is to say, it's very long and very strange. The rest of the story, the part about the ogre and his wife, is from The Blue Belt, in the collection of Asbjá¸rnsen and Moe. You can find them both on the internet.

The funny thing is, I *did* want to use both of those stories, but they were too awkward to make something of. If you read the originals, you'll find interesting bits here and there, but they get tiresome.

In any case, I don't think it's odd that you knew my name or the stories. You could have heard of them somewhere. If all you want is a rational explanation, that's it.

However, I hope that's not what you're looking for.
 

I might be wrong in telling you this, but when it comes to the strange things that happen in life, I don't always care for rational explanations. It's just like sweeping dirt under a carpet. It's a way of pretending that it isn't there.

Ordinary life is much weirder and wonderful than we usually realize, and every so often the curtain lifts just a bit. We see something impossible, something that makes no sense... we see it, but we don't believe our eyes.
 

You reminded me of the Chinese sage who dreamt he was a butterfly. When he woke, he said, "Now I don't know whether I'm a man who dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly who dreams he's a man."

I always thought that was a pretty stupid story, because it's so obvious when you're dreaming and when you're awake — right?

Now I think, maybe that man had an experience like yours...
 

And then we come to what is probably the most important question: Do the Amazons exist? I think they do.

I don't think you can go and find them, however. I think what will happen is that one day you'll meet a girl your age and she'll seem so familiar. You'll think you know her, and she'll have the same feeling. You'll ask yourself, Who does she remind me of? and finally you'll realize that it's Cakey, or Wiggy, or Belle. Of course, the name will probably be different, but the person will be the same.

And maybe that girl had the same dream that you had. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
 

I think the worst thing you could do right now is to try to figure it out. Don't rush to conclusions. In this case, it might be better not to come to any conclusion at all. Just try to live with what happened to you. Be grateful that you met those girls, and for the experiences you had with them. Remember you might see them again some day. It sounds like the experience enriched your life, so don't throw it away by being overly skeptical.

And sure, it is hard to lose them as friends, even if they aren't "real." I'm much older than you, and I've seen precious people slip out of my life in various ways, and it's hard.
 

I don't know whether any of this helps. I hope so.

I'm glad you felt you could write to me, and please feel free to write again if you like.

You're a courageous girl, and you've dealt with challenges that would have swamped many (maybe even most) people. This is just one more you have to face.

Trust me, your uneasy feelings will fade. In the meantime, try to live with them. Don't try push them away.

All the best,

Kaleigh Way

 

After I was done reading, I shut the email and went down to breakfast. I made myself some tea and toast.

This morning, I felt a lot better. My stomach was finally back to normal. I was a little weak, but I wasn't lightheaded any more. My illness had passed.

And though I often catch myself wondering how Wiggy is doing, or wishing I could email Belle, I feel a lot better about the whole experience. That's the word I use to describe it: experience. You can call it a dream if you like. I don't care. Now that I told my story, I've gotten it off my chest.

As far as what Kaleigh Way wrote to me... well, it was nice of her to try, but she didn't really help. I think she may be a nice person, but she must be a little off her rocker.

(Don't tell her I said so!)

I'm glad that she listened to me, but I don't think I'll write her again.
 


This is the end of Marcie And The Amazons


 

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

e-Mails

Kaleigh; That's cute have a character e-Mail yourself. Now a whole month for the next C, now that's hard, But I'll be waiting. Richard

Richard

Pushing the Envelope thru the Mail Slot in the Back of My Head

erin's picture

Did it work? Your ambitious experiment in telling a non-traditional story with non-standard tools?

I think it did. We probably won't know for sure just how well it worked until the NEXT Marcie Donner story is finished and we can re-read this one, all at once in a single piece without feeling lost or out of place.

I'm glad Wiggy saved the day. That little Russian Doll of a story was WIGGY'S story, Marcie was the sidekick. I'd like to have heard Belle and Mirina and Cakey's story and perhaps Captain Blackett's.

And more fairy tales. :)

Until next time, remember, Kaleigh, that when your characters start sending you fruitcake by Federal Express, always add soap and vinegar to the water you soak the package in, it penetrates the fuses better. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Interesting Point, Erin...

...about not knowing whether it worked until the NEXT Marcie Donner story comes out. (Also, about this being Wiggy's story, which of course only takes place on one level -- one where Wiggy and the Amazons are real and Marcie's a side character.)

I've been expressing my deep disappointment with this development for more than a week now while it was still theoretical, so I don't suppose I ought to dwell on that subject now.

(Just one point: those who think that the fairy tale book was the indicator between dream and reality have to overlook the previous trip home, which was a dream in which the book (and its author) didn't exist. Based on a very nonspecific note I got from Kaleigh when I first commented about that trip home, it may be that I'm indirectly responsible for that, but if that was the premise, it DID get violated.)

Anyway, I wondered about what my reaction would have been if Marcie had simply started the next story by saying that something so weird had happened in the days after What Maisie Knew that she hadn't been able to sort it out, and that she'd explain it to us further if and when she did. Then, after the Maisie-in-California story ended, Marcie came back with this one.

We'd find out partway through that this trip was messing up the timeline -- thus giving us one more clue -- but given the superscience element of the Marcie Auburn distraction and the attractiveness of parallel worlds as an alternative to impossibly lucid dreams, by the time we got to the South Seas I think the time paradox would just be another minor complication. (Maybe I'm wrong: the point of the Amazon trip in the story now is that it DOES seem to be happening in Marcie's real world, and if we'd already read California we'd know, if we were paying attention, that there was more to it than that.)

Eric

Grand Finale

terrynaut's picture

I love this story. The writing is superb and the characters leap out at you and demand attention.

I'm not sure what you'd call the email scene. I'm sure there's some "ism" word for it but I don't feel like dredging my brain for it at the moment. The only thing I'll say is that I like it. I love "your" message to your character and love her response. The generation gap is alive and well and lives in cyberspace.

Thanks and please keep up the great writing, Ms. Way. I'll do my part and keep reading. :)

- Terry

Non-traditional

As much as I like Marcies stories, this one was weirdest(?) of all. It had too many reality shifts causing headache asking "What is real? Which part of me is real? and Who am I?", but really had nice time describing of growing friendship between Marcie, Wiggy and Belle. I had fun, I had headaches, but it worth of it all and I'm looking forward to another Marcie story, if there would be such.
With thumbs up,
Robin.

edit: I'm only a little sad, that Belle and Wiggy remained only as dreams...

I loved the characters and

I loved the characters and humor but the reality shifts also left me confused and sad that the conflict with the Amazons finding out about Marcie was never resolved. Still, I plan to read the next series.

Kaleigh Way, I Have To Admit That :-)

I was hoping that Marcie could meet Wiggy and Belle, But you gave us an out in a way. No, I'm not complaining. Maybe she can meet them in real life and you. With Marcie, anything can AND will happen.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm...

Some years ago I attempted to kill myself through an overdose. This ending makes me feel how I do over my death! If I died but death was no different from life, would I know I had died? More if I am dead this life is a punishment for my other life... if I'm not dead how will I know? Sorry if this is something of a downer but explaining reality is perhaps the most difficult thing to do. ((Just to make clear the ending isn't making me depressed, its an okay ending as endings go, but the ideas lead me to think about my own thoughts on life/death/fish/etc)).

I have to say I wasn't overly enjoying the last few episodes of this story, I read to the end to see if anything makes sense. I can see what is trying to be said but in my opinion at any rate nothing was resolved.

I will wait for the next book, perhaps then something will be explained.

JC

((Apologies for my slightly negative PoV))

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Don't apologize!

I'd rather know what you think.

marcie

your own character thinks your off your rocker lol. It was a funny tale and i dearly loved reading it.
But, one thing nagging me. The amazons are simply a figment of her imagination? That huge part of the tale is nothing but her own fiction inside this fiction? I wish that part was real part of the story instead of just a dream. Perhaps marcie could try out for a cheerleader squad?

How do you pronounce your name?

By the way Kaleigh, do you pronounce your name Kailee or kalee?

Loved your story. :)

Gwen

Yes, kay-lee

Irish names are always funny looking.

My grandfather wanted to name me Beabhansidhe

Edeyn bah-VON-shee

Lauriane Caitlin Beabhansidhe Mfanwy Caernan [surname]

Imagine learning THAT one in kindergarten!

This was AFTER he found out that I wasn't a boy. He thought I should get a "good family name" since I got off to a rough start.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Makes Siobhan seem ordinary

Oh dear me! I wonder whether it would have made you WANT to learn spelling or FRIGHTENED to learn it?

Thank You

I just want to take a line here to say thank you for your efforts to provide us with such a wonderful work. I have had to devote all of my available time for the past two weeks to dealing with my "sister's" suicide and settling "her" affairs, so I just today got to read the final chapters all at once. Keep writing your stories. Just having them to read, regardless of what critics may say, is far better (imho) than not ever having them. I am looking forward to your next series. Thank you very much.
Avid Reader

Thanks and good luck

My wife is away this month dealing with the death of her father. It's hard. He was a wonderful man, so I really sympathize with you.

Death is always wrong, always at the wrong time, to the wrong person. It never fits or makes sense.

I wish you all the best in dealing with what's happened.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

Audacious

This really was a bold experiment in story-telling.

It did all come together in the end.

Speaking as a reader, I'm a bit exhausted emotionally from the sudden revelations of dream vs. reality. However, as your fictional authorial self in the story tells your protagonist, it's nothing I'm likely to ever forget. Or want to.

Anyway, thanks for the strange ride. Just don't do it again, okay? LOL

Two Thimbs Up

A great chapter in Marcie's life, Kaleigh. I looked forward to every chapter, and to be honest, there were times I asked myself, " what the f___?" The play on different dimensions was to say, most unnerving at times. Remind me not to ever eat liver again. I'm looking forward to more of your stories, and the longer you wait to post anything, the less stress I'll have waiting for a new installment. Great work Kaleigh, Arecee

I shall MISS Marcie!!

kristin's picture

I Have SOOO enjoyed this series, I shall miss Marcie and all her freinds. I looked forward to your writing for so long, I can only hope this story line continues in some fashion. There have been some people complaining about the skipping around in the dream sequance parts....but i think it was a brilliant way to tell a story within a story! Marcie is such a hero in the trans community...she needs to stay around awhile longer!!! Thank you SOOO much for keeping us all enthrauled for so long! You are truely an artist! Hugs, Kristin

kristyn nichols

thanks loads

The Marcie stories will continue... I have the next one mapped out, and the idea for the one after that.

I'm trying to get back to my writing... been derailed by a couple of things... am halfway through the next episode of Short Chapters, have a little snag to work through.

Thanks for the note!

All In All

it was a good story. But I found the dream sequence shifting very confusing. IMHO, you'd be better to write them as there separate stories: Marcie Donner, The Amazons and Marcie Auburn. Well, Marcie Auburn would need some more fleshing out.

But I thank you for sharing your thoughts with those of us who can't do what you do.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

When is the next marcie story coming out?

hi kaleigh just writing to tell you that l just finish reading all three marcie books [rules, what maisie knows, amazons] l pretty much enjoy all the stories l was wondering when you coming out with the next marcie book its been six months since you said that the story will be out and l hope we don't have to wait forever!! p.s please finish short chapters too[ l love that one too]

Just a thought...

PattieBFine's picture

Now, what if a few weeks pass and then there is a news story about a missing group of cheerleaders....

Ok, just FYI... the inflatable rafts as a rule, to have pay-passengers... need to have a GPS transponder built into them.

So, the grups get rescued first... and they had drifted sun-burn / dehydrated / and in need of a hospital (not coherant) for all the time the girls were on the island until missed, so only then were the transponders even looked for.

But having seen it in the news... she called the girls parents and told them where to possibly find the girls who were passengers. (Correct location!)

This would really throw a mental curve into what's real/unreal!

Has she been doing alt-timeline stepping while in dream state?

What is reality?

It's nifty to find a series like this where each story is in a different genre -- mundane adventure, ghost story, and now Philip K. Dick-style "what is reality?" metafiction. I don't think this one worked quite as well as "What Maisie Knew", but it certainly held my interest, keeping me reading it with as few breaks as possible. I think I'll have to reserve judgment on this, to some extent, until I see how and whether the alternate realities from this story affect events in later stories; it doesn't make sense to suppose that they were dreams. Clearly they were real on some level, and thus they might in principle affect the "prime" reality in ways other than Marcie's memories, but we'll have to wait and see.

Late to the party

Podracer's picture

and still troughing my way through the older tales. I can't leave this series until I finish, and enjoyed it all so far.
I feel that the disorientation felt as a reader in the Amazon adventure was just what Marcie was feeling. That's good; it shared the character's experience with us, as a story should.

Troughing, to trough local term, to eat in a determined fashion - greedily even. Like Mark used to.

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks

This story was always special to me. It's nice to see a new note on it after so much time.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

You're welcome.

Podracer's picture

Enjoying the plot again, a "little" later. Marcie's mind had a lot to sort through.

"Reach for the sun."

Even fictional people have opinions

Yes, these critters live in a world we made, but their thoughts are still their own.

Hugs,

Kaleigh Way