All Things Denied 5 - 'Ski Day'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 5 - 'Ski Day'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 5
 

“C’mon sleeping beauty … brekkers!” Jules voiced as she shook her sister awake. When Gaby reluctantly got out of the warm bed she noticed that Jules was already dressed.

“You'd best put something warm on, it's cold out!” Jules added as she left the room.

“Whatever…” Gaby weakly acknowledged.

Following a quick shower to wake up, Gaby quickly dried her hair, threw on some make-up and surveyed her clothing choice. The only warm option really available to her was a long denim skirt and jumper combo she’d purchased the other day. Her jeans were in the wash and her new pair of jeans needed to be washed before she could wear them.

Smelling the hot food, she made her way down to the kitchen and breakfast.

“Gabeee!” Britney exclaimed when she saw Gaby coming out of her bedroom.

"Didn’t I tell you that skirt looked great? C’mon, girl ... breakfast awaits!”

“Where we going?” Gaby wondered.

“You’ll see!” Britney affirmed.

“Meet the gang?” Gaby pressed.

“It’s a surprise,” Britney coyly replied as they entered the kitchen.

“You look very nice, Gaby … but I think you’ll have to change before you go anywhere,” Mr. Walters voiced as the girls entered the kitchen and he saw what Gaby was wearing. She looked at him with a blank expression upon hearing his comment.

“Look at the other three. Didn’t they tell you that you’ll be outdoors most of the day … skiing?”

“N-n-noooo,” Gaby weakly replied.

Britney turned pale when she heard her father’s remarks and her cheerful mood changed drastically when Gaby’s icy gaze fell upon her.
For the first time Gaby really bothered to look at what she was wearing versus what the other three chose to wear.

“A skirt n’ jumper’s not exactly appropriate, is it? I just thought we’re going shopping or to meet the others. This is all I have … I need to do a washing,” Gaby sheepishly remarked.

“It was my fault Mr. W … Gabs wasn’t up for the phone call last night an’ I just told her to dress warm. I thought she’d notice what I was wearing,” Jules volunteered.

“Didn’t you tell her what was planned?” Donald asked.

“We thought we’d surprise her,” Debbie timidly added, feeling Jules was setting herself up to take all of Gaby’s resentment.

“...And just when were you going to tell her? Maybe when you got there and Gaby was thoroughly humiliated?” Donald sarcastically laid into his girls. “Am I close?”

“Did you two honestly think your mother and I would allow it to go that far?” Deb’s father pressed. Before Debbie could answer, in a no-nonsense voice he asked her, “...And just who is … ‘we’?”

“Brit … Jules … and me,” Debbie reluctantly offered.

“Whose brilliant idea was it to spring this on Gaby?” Mr. Walters sternly asked.

Seeing her dad was not amused with these developments, Debbie reluctantly told him it was Britney’s idea, but in an attempt to save her sister from taking full blame, she quickly added that they all agreed.

“Why am I not surprised?” Donald mumbled under his breath. He then calmly turned his attention the elder Bond girl.

“Jules … I strongly suggest that before you agree to any more schemes hatched by my two ... particularly my youngest … you carefully think it through. This may’ve had dire consequences if allowed to go on … do you follow me?”

“Yes, sir...” Jules weakly replied.

“We may only be acting as your parents while you’re here … but it remains a fact that you are her only real family. You’re her sister … and considering what you’re both going through with your mom … she needs you to be there for her. What do you think would happen to your relationship if she knows she can’t trust you?”

Jules felt ashamed as she slowly shifted her gaze to Gaby. “I’m sorry, sis … I really am. We never do anything like this back ’ome and we just wanted to surprise you ... I never thou … I promise … it won’t happen again.” Gaby immediately walked over to Jules and gave her a big hug.

“May I suggest you help your sister find something more suitable?” Mr. Walters proposed.

“I don’t have anything clean. My old jeans are in the wash and my new jeans need to be washed … else I break out,” Gaby replied.

“Wear your leotards under them … then they won’t bother your skin,” Jules suggested.

“They’re in the wash with the rest of my P/E stuff,” Gaby quietly admitted.

“I’ve got a pair you can wear Gabs...” Debbie offered. “...And a warmer sweater.”

“C’mon, sis. I guess we should go get you changed,” Jules quietly urged.

Before the three could exit the kitchen, Mr. Walters cautioned against any more ‘pranks’ while the Bond’s were in Grottoes. Even though he spoke to all the girls, everyone understood the remarks were directed at his two and specifically Britney.

“Once you get changed … c’mon back down for some waffles. I’ve also got some cross-country ski boots for both of you to try on,” Donald added, changing the mood.

When she returned, along with Debbie and Jules, Jocelyn had joined her husband and Britney at the kitchen table.

“Much better!” Donald remarked as he took a plate of waffles over to the table, before putting more on to cook. “Now why couldn’t you girls have done that for Gaby, earlier?”

Gaby stood there wearing her new straight-leg jeans over Debbie’s black leotards and her heavy cable-knit turtleneck sweater. Even Britney had to admit how pretty Gaby looked.

“You girls look like regular ski-bunnies!” Mrs. Walters commented at seeing Gaby standing with the two older girls.

“The sweater’s a bit big on her … but in this weather … that’s a good thing,” Debbie remarked.

When Gaby questioned what she meant, Jocelyn told her that layers of loose clothing are much more preferable when doing a lot of physical activity in cold weather, like skiing.

“Eat first … ski later!” Mr. Walters urged, while the food was still hot.

Following breakfast, Donald took Gaby and Jules aside and produced two pair of cross-country ski boots and some wool socks. He admitted sneaking a look at their boot sizes and poking around the Second Chance Sporting Goods store.

“They may be used … but they’re still in really good shape. Put the socks on first,” Donald mentioned as he offered the boots to the girls.

Both Mrs. Walters and Debbie got new skis the previous Fall, but held on to their old pair knowing that they may be used by Jules and Gaby once they came to Grottoes. With everyone suitably outfitted, they grabbed their coats and took their skis out to the Forester where Mr. Walters had already put the ski racks on the roof.
As they started out of town, Gaby noticed they were heading out towards Jack's Diner. Several minutes later, Donald turned the car off into a parking lot already boasting at least a dozen others.

“Hey Gabs … you made it!” Em gleefully exclaimed.

“Uh … yeah,” Gaby replied. She was still not sure of how to take Em.

Em made her way over to Gaby, bundled in a red ski suit and trying to manage carrying a pair of skis on her shoulder.

“This is really cool eh? Can you imagine doing this at home?” Em enthused.

“When’s the last time we had enough snow to do this?” Gaby cheerfully replied.

Both kids spent the next few minutes talking about all that’s happened to them since they last got together. They each admitted the biggest downside to the visit was the rural aspect of the county. Unlike Warsop, the gang was scattered and was therefore, denied being able to get together as much as they were used to. Attending AHS didn’t help too much either and with Gaby being on an earlier lunch schedule than the rest of the ‘gang’, chances for her to be with them were very limited within the confines of the school.

“...The others should be here soon!” Em’s comments brought Gaby out of her daydream. At that moment, Donald approached the two girls, with Gaby’s skis.

“Here you are Gaby. Step onto these and I'll show you how to work the bindings,” Mr. Walters instructed. He also helped Em with her skis.

“If you can walk … you can cross-country … only slide your feet … don’t step …and use the poles when on the flats or climbing the hills … then crouch and glide when going down the hills ... like this.” He continued his instructions until it was evident the others were beginning to head over to the start position.

Em and Gaby continued their chat as they found themselves comfortably in a gaggle of about fifty skiers. They eventually found Bernie and the others as they zipped down the forested trails. It was sometime further along the trail, before Gaby noticed that Maddy was starting to labour as she strove to keep pace with the group. A short time later, they mercifully arrived at a clearing, which appeared from all the tables that were set up, was their scheduled lunch stop.

When Gaby got her skis off, she discovered walking in heavy snow with ski boots was almost as much a skill as walking in her cycling shoes. She was also very aware of several aching muscles that she was unaware even existed. So much for an easy day of skiing! After the 'gang' had found each other, they stuck their skies upright in the snow like the others and dutifully made their way to the barbecue along with the rest of the skiers.

“There you guys are!” Britney exclaimed as she walked up to Gaby and the ‘gang’. “Mom sent me to find you. They're just about to start serving the food.”

“Great! I'm starving!” Bernie put in. The others eagerly nodded in agreement. Britney led the way to where a small crowd waited patiently for the food to be served up.

“You guys always do this sort of thing?” Ally wondered.

“Whenever it snows like this,” Britney replied.

“You always have a lunch like this?” Em asked.

“I’m not sure how it got started, but whenever someone puts the ‘call’ out, everyone donates something to a ‘pot luck’ lunch to be set up somewhere on the ski trails,” Debbie explained.

Later, when the ‘gang’ got through helping with the clean up, the more dedicated skiers were itching to set off on the return trip.

“It's a bit further going back...” Debbie cautioned. “...But if I were you…” Her thoughts were interrupted by her sister.

“...Or you could go back the short way … if you want to,” Britney proposed and then with a sense of mischief, she added, “It’s more fun going the full route!”

Gaby took the bait! Five minutes later she slid to a halt at the back of some of the more dedicated skiers in the group. Her shoulders and forearms had already started to complain.

“You sure this is a good idea, Gabs?” Maddy softly asked sliding in beside her.

“If Brit and the others can do it … we can!” Gaby told her.

“Well, okay then … but let’s not get carried away, huh? My arms are aching from the trip out here,” Maddy confided, still unsure of the soundness of her decision to follow Gaby.

“I promise Mad … no racing!” Gaby assured her girlfriend.

“Okay,” Maddy weakly replied.

With the shrill sound of a whistle, the now reduced group broke into a free-for-all that quickly sorted itself out. Gaby and Maddy soon fell behind with the less technical skiers, but even they were keeping a brisk pace. As Gaby kept checking on her girlfriend, it soon became evident that they would have to slow to their own pace and let the others go ahead.

“You go on Gabs,” Maddy panted as Gaby again checked on her progress.

“No way! I'm not leaving you alone Mad,” Gaby firmly stated. She fell back to parallel Maddy, both slowing down and working into their own synchronized rhythm with the sound of their breathing and the whooshing of the skis.

“So?” Maddy later stated uneasily.

“So…” Gaby softly replied.

“Are you really okay? You know … with having to be Gaby full time?” Maddy’s voice faded as she asked the question.

After a short thoughtful silence, Gaby softly replied, “Sort of…”

“Sort of?”

“I think Mrs. W isn’t convinced … an’ I still have five more weeks of her. I’m not a girl like you, Mad … an’… I dunno if I...” Gaby softly admitted as her voice faded with her uncompleted thought.

“Sorry darling…” Maddy soulfully replied. Gaby laid a hand on Maddy’s arm, bringing the two to a stop.

“I told you back in Warsop … it’s not your fault. Brit an’ Deb decided things for me when they didn’t tell their ‘rents,” Gaby softly assured her.

“Well … I feel sort of responsible. I could’ve said something when Miss C told us about the cheer competition … instead I pressured you to do it!” Maddy’s soft voice was unsteady.

“Okay … if it makes you feel better ... let’s not forget the bit Miss C an’ Mr. Woods played! They could’ve said something...” Gaby sarcastically added.

“But I shouldn’t have even suggested you’d do it … (sniff). The competition isn't that important!” Maddy replied.

“Yes, it is … to you an’ the others! Besides ... I agreed to do it,” Gaby pointed out.

“Under pressure!” Maddy firmly restated.

“Whatever. What's done is done an’ we can’t go back an’ change things, okay?” Gaby firmly stated in an attempt to close the subject.

“I’m still sorry...” Maddy weakly offered.

“How are you getting on with Miss Bell?” Gaby softly asked later after a deafening silence befell the two.

“Okay, I guess. You'll have to come over some evening … or maybe for a weekend? She's got this cool place that her dad built and after a couple of years, gave it to her,” Maddy unenthusiastically explained.

“Gaby … (sniff) … I ... miss ... you. I never thought we’d (sniff) be apart like this,” she softly lamented following a short silence.

“I miss you too,” Gaby quietly replied.

“Mad? Who do you miss more? I know you’ve told me you love both Drew and Gaby … but if you had to choose...” Gaby softly added.

“This is the second time you’ve asked me. Why do you want me to choose? Just accept that I love you … okay?” Maddy pleaded.

“Please, Mad … it’s really important to me!” Gaby quietly pressed.

“Why?” Maddy whispered as she held Gaby tightly in her arms. She could see the turmoil in her girlfriend’s eyes as she whispered,

(sniff) I love you, Gaby!” She then leaned in and gave her a tender kiss on the lips.

As they parted, Maddy saw the disappointment of her refusal to choose, etched on her love’s face. Although Gaby politely returned the hug Maddy offered, it didn’t feel the same. Instead of pursuing what was bothering her girlfriend, she wisely decided to allow Gaby some space as they skied along in silence for a bit.

The trail was relatively easy to follow, considering the number of skiers that preceded them. The weak winter sun was already low in the sky and the temperature was dropping, which started to cause their snow covered clothes to stiffen. Both girls were skiing side-by-side when Maddy decided to break the silence,

“Darling? Why did you ask me to choose? What were you going to say … back there?”

Deciding she’d have to tell Maddy, the pair glided to a stop. As she turned to face her, Gaby took hold of Maddy’s gloved hands and looked her in the eyes.

“Remember last Fall when I blacked out after those two races?” Gaby softly asked.

“Uh huh ... scared the life out of me each time I saw you go down.” Maddy squeezed Gaby’s hand and braced herself for the worst.

“You never did tell me what the doctor told you. You’re not sick are you? (sniff) I don’t know what I’d do if I ever lost you!” Maddy tearfully confessed.

“It depends on what … oh bum! Someone’s coming! I’ll have to tell you later ... too many people,” Gaby whispered as she heard voices.

A couple of dark figures came toward the two and as they got closer, Gaby recognized the shadows as Jules and Debbie.

“Thank God, Gabs! We’ve all been frantic! Where have you two been?” an obviously relieved Jules called out as they approached the two girls.

“Mad and I knew where we were and the trail’s easy enough to follow. We just couldn't keep up, that’s all...” Gaby casually stated as their two rescuers glided up beside the young couple.

“Just wait till I get hold of Brit!” Debbie fumed.

“What for?” Maddy asked.

“...This is sooo like her! I had a bad feeling when she convinced Gabs to do the ‘fun’ race this afternoon, instead of following some of the others and retrace their steps back to Jack’s,” Debbie fumed.

“We didn't have to go!” Gaby quickly offered.

“Oh c’mon, sis! When was the last time you turned down any kind of a challenge?” Jules pointed out.

“Brit should’ve known that there's no way Gabs would’ve been able to keep up with these people.” Debbie ranted.

“She would’ve ... if she didn’t stay with me!” Maddy quickly suggested.

“She did the right thing, Mad. Spending a night out here by yourself in this weather, is not something I’d want to do. The people that were here today, ski and know the area ... you don’t ... and we all knew that,” Debbie calmly replied. ”A lot of people became very concerned when you two didn’t show up with the rest.”

“Oh...” Maddy finally understood.

“They're over here!” Debbie shouted out to a bunch of adults. As they got closer, the dimming sunlight revealed Mr. Walters, Miss Bell and a couple of officers from the Augusta County Sheriff’s department making their way through the snow. Maddy nudged Gaby and nodded towards one of the policemen and his dog.

You two okay?” Mr. Walters asked as the small group stood around the two skiers.

“A bit cold ... but that’s about it,” Gaby admitted.

“Let’s get you two inside. Jack’s isn’t too far … just over that small rise,” Miss Bell suggested.

“After what I told her this morning … she goes and pulls this!” Donald fumed.

“Who?” Jessica wondered.

“Britney! This was her doing! She practically signed a confession back in Jack’s,” he angrily explained.

The rescued and the rescuers made their way back to Jack’s and soon found themselves inside the warm diner. After some initial questioning and repeated reassurances they were cold, but otherwise okay, both Maddy and Gaby snuggled in a booth under some thermal blankets and sipped on mugs of hot chocolate. After about twenty minutes, the two started to feel normal. The only ones remaining in the diner at that time, were the rest of the ‘gang’, their American hosts and a few paying customers. Eventually there was an exchange of farewells and Gaby found herself alone with Maddy again.

“How’s Auntie Jen?” Maddy softly asked.

“Dad said they operated earlier in the week,” Gaby whispered.

“Oh…” Maddy breathed and then added in a whisper, “You didn’t tell me she went into the hospital.”

“Sorry, Mad … not much of a chance to get together around here … is there?”

Maddy reached under the blanket and gave Gaby’s leg a squeeze with her free hand. Gaby quietly continued talking about her mum, after acknowledging her girlfriend’s touch with a smile.

“Jules and I didn’t know Mum actually went under the knife until Dad told us last night.”

“Maybe he had his reasons?” Maddy suggested.

“Mum didn’t want us to know about her surgery … but Dad told us she was being assessed before we left,” Gaby quietly confided.

“Maybe she had her reasons? … Like…” Maddy offered, but left the thought incomplete.

”Actually, when Dad called last night … he said Mum's feeling a bit better!” Gaby tried to sound cheerful.

“That's good … innit?” Maddy quietly asked.

“I guess so. He said that she's still pretty sick … but the doctors are optimistic they got it all,” Gaby explained.

“So when will they know for sure … if Auntie Jen’s cured?” Maddy asked in a hushed voice.

“According to Dad .... it might be weeks or even months,” Gaby softly replied in an uncertain voice. Maddy embraced her girlfriend in a much needed hug.

“I'm really afraid that I’m not gonna see her again, Mad … (sniff) … I'm scared.” Maddy held Gaby even tighter.

“We’ll both see her again, darling … you’ll see,” Maddy whispered into Gaby’s ear.

What are you two up to?” Jules’ cheerful voice broke the moment and the two girls reluctantly released each other.

“Talking about Auntie Jen,” Maddy quietly admitted while Gaby dabbed the tears from her eyes with a napkin.

“Oh.” Jules mood immediately changed.

“If you’re thawed out Maddy … we should be going!” Miss Bell mentioned as she approached the three teenagers.

“I guess that means I have to leave you, now. Thanks for staying with me … g’nite darling,” Maddy whispered. Using Jules as a screen from the other patrons, she planted a gentle kiss on Gaby’s lips before she rose to get up from the booth.

“Everyone’s heading home,” Jules stated as Maddy made her way over to the door and Jessica. “I was just coming to fetch you, sis.”

Jules handed Gaby her coat and the two joined the Walters family at the door. As they walked out to the car, Gaby noted that Em, Ally and Bernie had already left and Sab was catching a lift with Miss Bell and Maddy.

Out in the parking lot it was very apparent that what could best be described as a Christmas postcard, would be no more. The snow covered pavement was now mostly clear and signs of a thaw were all around. Jocelyn thought it best that Britney rode back with her, while the other three rode with Donald.

Once back at the house, Jules and her sister retreated to their room where Gaby jumped into a hot shower. When they were both dressed for bed, Gaby let Jules do her hair before putting on their robes and slippers to go downstairs to join the others. As they were leaving their room, Jules suddenly wrapped her sister up in a hug.

“I was so scared, sis!” Jules whispered.

Just as they reached the stairs at the end of the hallway, Jules and Gaby wisely decided to sit on the top step after hearing raised voices behind a closed kitchen door.

“I’ve told you before Britney Walters … one of these days your pranks are going to get you into serious trouble!” Mr. Walters booming voice carried clearly throughout the house. Britney’s reply to her father was scarcely audible to the two girls. “And … if I find out that you're up to any more of your tricks … or are trying to involve the Bonds in any of your plots … you will be grounded indefinitely,”

Mrs Walters joined in, equally angry with her daughter’s behaviour. “Gaby and her cousin could have been lost out there! It was only last year that the Williams boy died right outside town when he got turned around.”

More mumbles were heard.

“I don’t care! It was a damn stupid thing to do! … And don’t think we’ve forgotten about what you tried to pull on Gaby this morning, either!” Jocelyn went on.

“Hate to be Brit right now,” Gaby whispered.

“Doesn’t look good,” Jules agreed in a hushed voice.

“If Brit slips up an’ …you know … those two might as well join a monastery.”

"That’s a nunnery … but I know what you mean,” Jules again agreed.

The family discussion had decidedly gone quieter, but it still sounded like the Spanish Inquisition! Questions, replies, more questions and so on. After about half an hour the door opened and a thoroughly brow-beaten and tearful Britney hurriedly exited.

“Dinner will be in thirty minutes … tell the girls!” Mrs Walters called out after her retreating daughter.

“Yes, mom!” Britney tearfully acknowledged before starting up the stairs.

“You okay Brit?” Jules asked. Britney jumped and nearly missed her step.

“Shit, Jules! You scared me!” she half-shouted.

Sorry … you okay?” Jules wondered. The three girls spent the next little while in the bedroom Britney shared with her sister, quietly talking about what just transpired downstairs.

“Is it true about that boy?” Jules finally asked in a hushed voice.

“Geoff Williams? Yeah … he got lost out by the nature grounds and they found him a week later … but he was only … like ten!” Britney explained. The full impact of the afternoon’s events suddenly washed over Gaby and Jules.

“I got the awful feeling that mom was hinting at something going on with you two. If she finds out you’re a boy … I’m … like … so dead!” Britney whispered. The two Bond girls knowingly looked at each other.

“We’re not going to say anything … are we Gabs?” Jules coyly asked.

“Nope!” Gaby quickly agreed.

The last thing Gaby wanted was to be exposed to all. The implications could be disastrous, not only for herself but possibly the exchange program and her friends. One thing was certain though, Britney and Debbie would be grounded for life!

“But … what if they work it out?” Britney whined.

“And just how will they do that? Gabs’ boobs are glued on an’ her other bits are taken care of too!” Jules shot back, all the time keeping her voice down.

“Really?” Britney replied.

“There’s no way … unless they saw ‘him’ naked and even then….” Jules offered. Gaby thought Jules seemed more confident than she herself felt.

“After all … Gabs has never been mistaken for a boy,” Jules continued.

“Erin knows,” Gaby softly admitted.

“How?” Jules hissed.

“Ummm … we talked a lot when we went to her house the other day to get her spare kit. She knew Mum had a boy an’ a girl ... an’ it was the boy that rode! When she called me a young man an’ asked if I preferred being called Gaby or Drew, I came clean … but ... she’s okay with it ... as long as I am!”

The next day at breakfast, Gaby couldn’t help but feel a little paranoid. She was sure Mrs. Walters was watching her every move, trying to ‘see past Gaby and discover her ‘secret’. The three other girls also nervously watched for any hint that Jocelyn twigged.

It was Monday and the British kids were starting their first full week at Augusta High School and had a full day of classes. Their two weekly field trips were scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday. It was Thursday’s trip that was to include their American hosts.

“Will all members of the Sherwood Foresters please meet Miss Cowlishaw in the gym after final period today?” Principal Roberts announced over the school’s PA system following morning exercises.

Gaby’s first class was Health, with Miss MacDonald. She soon learned that unlike back home, this subject was split according to gender and her class consisted of only girls. It was one of two subjects that all the gang would be brought together. The other subject was their weekly Gym class, also taught by Miss MacDonald.

“She likes us to call her ‘Bunny’ ... that’s her nickname. Claims it builds a better relationship with ‘her girls’,” Britney whispered as she led Gaby into the room.

Normally Science was a good subject for Gaby, but her next class sent her scrambling for Britney’s notes later that evening, in an attempt to familiarize herself with what was currently being taught. The next two periods before lunch proved routine for her. Her Math class was more like a review as they’d already covered the material back in Warsop. It was all she could do to get through English, though. It was so boring, as they were discussing one of Shakespeare’s plays in agonizing detail. Gaby concluded that although the play may have been different from her classes back in Warsop, the torture inflicted upon the young mind was the same.

At lunch, Britney introduced Gaby to the AHS cafeteria. Shortly after the two found a table and sat down, some of Brit’s fellow cheerleaders joined them and soon monopolized Britney in conversation. As the minutes dragged on, Gaby began to notice how alone she felt. Several of the other kids stared at her and then quickly turned away in hushed conversation whenever they noticed her looking at them. Even in the halls, she started to notice a few of the kids singling her out as they talked in whispers when she walked past.

She seemed to go through her afternoon classes on autopilot, thinking about the behaviour of the kids at lunch and in the halls.

Following final dismissal, she found her way to the gym and took a seat in the bleachers with the rest of the Foresters. While the ‘gang’ chatted away amongst themselves, Gaby again found herself left out of any conversation. Maybe they weren’t intentionally ignoring her, but after her lunchtime experience, she was starting to feel a bit isolated. After a while, Miss Cowlishaw came in talking animatedly with Miss Bell. Fran announced that they’d have practice every other day for about an hour and that Jessica would assist.

“So starting on Tuesday, we’ll be having practice after class on alternate days. Make sure you have your P/E kit, poms and cheer shoes. Any questions?”

Jocelyn was waiting with the other three girls, in the parking lot when Gaby emerged from the school. No sooner had she got settled into the car, than Britney dragged a reluctant Gaby into a discussion about cheerleading.

“Gaby’s gonna compete with the Sherwood Foresters in the State championships next month!” Britney blurted out.

“Well, that’s certainly something to look forward to then! Here we are girls,” Mrs. Walters beamed as she put the car in park outside the local beauty parlour. Gaby noticed it was in the same mall as Erin’s, only a few stores down.

“Please, Gabs … just go with it! Mom might start to wonder about things if you don’t,” Debbie whispered as they got out of the car and followed their mom inside.

“You forgot … didn’t you?” Jules quietly asked as she saw the apprehension on her sister’s face. “You always go to Sylv’s ... and this isn't any different.”

“She cuts my hair!” Gaby hissed.

“So? You’re a girl, now ... and girl’s like to get more than a haircut at places like this ... just go with it, okay? We don’t want to do anything to make Mrs. W suspicious,”

Jules sternly whispered as they walked a few steps behind Mrs. Walters. “Anyway ... whatever gets done now, will more than likely be gone by the time we leave ... right?”

“Evenin’ Jocelyn … girls ... and these two must be your British visitors!” a middle-aged woman gushed.

“Mary … meet Juliette and Gabrielle Bond.” Jocelyn made the formal introductions. “Girls … this here is Mary … owner of this establishment.”

After getting the others settled for their preferred treatments, Mary turned her attention to Gaby. “So Gabrielle … what about you? Would you like a trim … or something else? Jocelyn’s treat!”

“Umm … it’s just Gaby,” Gaby timidly replied.

“Okay … so … what’s it to be then, Gaby?” Mary asked.

“I dunno … I had my hair done before we came,” Gaby shyly admitted.

“Then … how’s about we do something with those nails?” Mary coaxed.

After Gaby inspected her nails, she readily agreed. The manicure quickly turned into a pedicure as well and at the suggestion of the ‘nail technician’, Gaby was also to get her first sugaring. After Mary cleared it with Jocelyn, she returned and had an assistant take her out back.

“The others are heading on home. Can you walk back yourself when we’re done?” Mary asked.

“I think so. I’ve walked back from Erin’s Cyclery a couple of times,” Gaby replied.

“Okay, then … Sandra will get you ready and I’ll be in shortly,” Mary mentioned.

“Come on Gaby … we do this out back. I’ll just fetch you a robe!” Sandra enthused. Realizing she’d have to remove her jeans, Gaby hoped that Mary wouldn’t go too high with the sugaring.

After she was finished, Sandra handed Gaby her jeans. As she slid them on it was clear that her legs were much smoother than even straight after a shave. Gaby thought it was worth the pain, just as Sandra said!

“You’re legs might be a bit sore this evening … so … you might want to put a skirt on when you get home. Any redness will be gone by morning,” Mary advised as Gabs exited the beauty parlour.

By the time she arrived back at the Walters, Mary’s comments about sore legs was becoming a reality. Her first stop once inside, was their bedroom and a quick change into one of the mini skirts that she brought with her.

Gaby heard the other three in Debbie’s bedroom, busy arguing about something so she continued on down the stairs and walked into the living room. Finding the book Jules was reading, she picked it up and settled down on the couch, in front of the fire to await her Dad’s call or dinner, whichever happened first!

As the days passed, Gaby and Jules fell into a routine with the Walters girls. On school nights, they’d usually read or watch TV until dinner, talk to their Mum and or Dad, do any homework they may have and then return to either reading, listening to music or watching TV. Weather permitting, on Saturday mornings, Gaby would go riding with Erin and her cycling friends and on Wednesdays after school again, weather permitting, she’d go for a training ride on her own.

 
 
Comments are greatly appreciated


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's Amazing That Those Walters Girls Still Were Wanting To Pull

A prank upon Gaby and Maddy after surprising her that morning about the ski trip. It will be great to see those two girls get punished good and proper for mistreating Gaby. May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm, I'm wondering...

... if Drew/Gaby's feeling of "isloation" from people is really there, or just a bit of paranoia... Induced by all the stress she's under.

I've always thought Brit needed to have BIG BIG prank pulled on her - one so big, she FINALLY understands what all of her pranks have done to others. Maybe you're the author to do it.

I'm glad Drew/Gaby had a safe walk "home"... The way you set it up, I was affraid some of the HS boys were going to be out there and harass her.

Annette

As the saying goes

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you don't have enemies.

I always agitated for Brittany to get hers while this was being written, but PB is too nice a guy. But there is always the future.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

i'm just guessing here

i'm guessin that jule's was about to let cat out of bag after the Salon visit. jules knows she's susposed to look out after her sis, and i'll bet she told them off in no uncertain terms, of that or simular. I'm also guessing @ some point the Mom will be askin drew's dad and that will topple the cake down. Hate to be Brit when that occurs. or for that matter her sister. And what's funny is Drew is now really what gabby appears to be... a nearly normal teen girl that still gullable, but non the less a grl.

It's Gaby and only Gaby now....

And what's funny is Drew is now really what gabby appears to be... a nearly normal teen girl that still gullable, but non the less a grl.

The first chapter of "All things denied..." ended the speculation. 'Drew' was born and always had been, a girl. However, because no one other than a select handfull of family and teachers, had been told by the Bonds, the rest of the kids still believed it was a boy named 'Drew' pretending to be Gaby, on the exchange trip.

Jules and Gaby knew differently - it was Gaby on the exchange trip.

PB