All Things Denied 17 - 'The Drive'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 17 - 'The Drive'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

A long drive to Atlanta gives Gaby a chance to become more friendly with Erin


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 17
 

"So we'll see you Sunday evening, Gaby?" Mrs. Walters asked.

"I'll ring if we’re going to be late,” Gaby mentioned as Jocelyn gave her a good-luck hug.

"Good luck, Gabs ... have a good race," Britney whispered while giving her a sisterly hug.

“Show ‘em how it’s done! Good luck, sis..." Jules added.

"Thanks," Gaby replied as she hugged Jules before picking up her borrowed sports bag and heading out on the short walk to Erin’s Cyclery.

Morning, Gaby!” Erin loudly greeted Gaby as she entered the parking lot from the alley.

“Mor ... morning,” Gaby responded as she watched her breath as she spoke. “It’s friggin cold!” When Erin started to remind her that it sounded like Drew talking, Gaby playfully cut her off with a smile.

“Don’t you dare say it!”

“Is it gonna be like this in Atlanta?” Gaby seriously wondered a minute or two later.

“Nooo ... more like a summer’s day compared to this! I reckon we’ll be shedding our winter jackets before too long. Wanna help me with this stuff? Warm you up a mite!” Erin offered with a cheerful grin.

Gaby soon got into a rhythm helping Erin load spares into the back of her pickup, along with four of the team’s bikes.

“Put your bag in the truck and all we have to do after we pull the tarp over the bikes is to wait for Diane and Frank to show up.”

“What about the other bikes?” Gaby wondered.

“Diane’s got a custom trailer that holds a few bikes, along with some other odds an’ ends ... works quite well. We’ve used it a few times now.” Erin explained.

Just then a car pulled into the parking lot and Aidan emerged from the front passenger seat, as his dad got out and retrieved his son’s sport bag from the trunk. Erin waved to Aidan and walked over to have a few words with his dad while Aidan walked over to Gaby.

“Morning, Gabs,” he meekly offered.

“Hi, Aidan!” Gaby replied.

“Ummm ... what should I do with this?” Aidan asked, indicating his bag. Erin looked over and noticed he looked ‘lost’.

“Aidan ... you’ll be going with Frank, so throw your stuff in his van when he arrives.”

“Okay...”

He then looked around for a relatively dry spot to put his bag down. After he did that, he very carefully pulled out a wrapped item and presented it to Gaby.

“I thought it’d be better if’en I gave this to you here … rather than at the dance last night,” he quietly explained as he handed her the package.

“Umm ... maybe it’s better you did do it now. I never went,” Gaby softly replied as she carefully unrolled a single red rose.

Holding the flower in her hand, she looked at Aidan and lovingly commented, “It’s beautiful, Aidan ... thank you.”

“A beautiful flower for a beautiful girl.” Gaby’s colour appeared to match the rose as she blushed a deep red in response to Aidan’s compliment.

“Aidan ... I love the rose and you’re a sweet boy … but … I think I should tell you that I already have someone ...” Gaby’s quiet voice faded to a whisper as she never completed her train of thought.

“I’d be shocked if’en you didn’t.” Aidan’s response got Gaby blushing even more.

“Umm ... can I ask you a personal question, Gaby?” Aidan finally managed to quietly ask after a short uneasy silence. Gaby gave a tight smile and nodded.

“Is what the kids at school saying … true? I mean … there’s ... talk … that you …ummm … only like girls.”

After a deep sigh, Gaby carefully considered her words before answering. Although she liked him as a friend, she decided to be truthful rather than have a friendship based on a lie.

“You mean ... am I a lesbian? Well, the short answer to that is … yes. I do have fairly strong feelings for one girl back ‘ome!”

The happiness in Aidan’s eyes faded as he cast his gaze downwards, his quiet voice trailing off into an inaudible mumble.

“Figures ... I’m alone with the most beautiful girl in the school … and she only likes girls. Sorry … I shouldn’t have asked. It was none of my business.” Gaby gently took his hand in hers.

“That’s where you’re wrong! That rose gave you the right to ask. Look, Aidan ... I’ve never denied what I am...” Gaby whispered. “...and if my being a lesbian bothers you … maybe I shouldn’t go.”

“No, Please! I’m not like some of the other kids at school. It’s your life. I … I just … hoped…” Aidan softly mumbled. Gaby felt bad as she saw the disappointment on his face.

“I’m sorry I’m not what you hoped for ... but that’s who I am and I can’t change it,” Gaby softly explained.

“You really think I’m beautiful?” Gaby innocently asked after a short silence.

Aidan’s shyness showed as he, still with eyes cast down towards his feet, nodded his head. Gaby put a finger under his chin and gently raised his head until they were looking at each other. She then gently cupped his head between her hands while she planted a kiss on his lips.

“What’s that for?” Aidan whispered.

“For being you. I think you’re the only kid at school who doesn’t hate me for being who I am. Since I arrived, you’ve always acted like a perfect gentleman towards me... even if a wee bit shy.”

“But…” Aidan started to say.

“I bet you’re going to tell me you’re a boy … right?” Gaby softly interrupted.

“Yeah,” Aidan whispered. “I mean … you just told me you’re not interested in boys.”

“So?” Gaby softly answered.

“But … I’m a boy!” Aidan hissed.

“No need to apologize...” Gaby playfully quipped and then it dawned on her, “Oh! You thought because I like a girl ... that I must hate boys?” Aidan timidly nodded his head.

“I guess I’m the first one you’ve met, huh?” Gaby whispered. Again he nodded.

“Aidan … look at me … please?” Gaby pleaded. “I promise ... I won’t bite.”

As he lifted his gaze, she continued in hushed tones.

“This may surprise you, but ... I don’t hate boys. In fact, I have friends back in Warsop ... who are boys. It’s just that ... I’m not interested in boys as in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. Other than that … I’m no different than any of the girls you know. Does that help clear things up?”

“Yeah … sorry … I just thought...” Aidan started to whisper an apology.

“It’s okay, Aidan,” Gaby playfully whispered as she hugged him. “Don’t worry about it.”

She knew that while she was stretching things a bit with her simplified explanation, she wasn’t about to tell all and complicate matters.

“Let me put this in Erin’s truck where it’ll be bit warmer an’ as soon as we get to the hotel, I’ll find something to put it in with some fresh water,” Gaby said, carefully holding the rose. “It really is very pretty ... thank you.”

After giving him another peck on the cheek, she carefully re-wrapped the rose and went and placed it on her seat in Erin’s truck. Aidan then took Gaby over and introduced her to his father. After exchanging a few words to the both of them, he then said his good-bye’s as he put the car in gear and drove out of the parking lot.

Frank eventually arrived with the others, in the van. After a last minute check of all the cargo and getting everyone squared away, they prepared to begin the long drive to Atlanta. Aidan found an empty seat in Frank’s van, leaving Erin and Gaby to drive to the first rest stop in Erin’s truck where they would change drivers. Between all the drivers in the ‘Express’, everyone was able to take a few breaks from driving during the trip.

After they got settled in Erin's truck, the small convoy was officially on their way with Diane’s Envoy and her custom bike trailer, bringing up the rear.

“Oh! This is for you ... thought you might appreciate something hot ... hope I made it right,” Erin offered.

She pointed to two large travelling mugs in the cup holders in the centre console between the front seats. As Gaby took one and took a taste, Erin saw a look of utter disgust cross her face when she glanced over at her young friend.

“That’s my coffee ... the other one’s for you,” Erin playfully pointed out as she indicated the mug closest to Gaby.

“Sorry..”

“Earl Grey ... that okay?”

“Great! Thanks!” Gaby replied as she cupped her bare hands around the mug and savoured the hot tea.

"So ... you lookin’ forward to tomorrow?" Erin asked as they joined the Interstate, marking the beginning of the long trek south.

"Kinda," Gaby timidly admitted.

"Ya ain’t nervous … are ya?" Erin cheerfully asked.

"Sort of ... well ... not exactly. I’ve raced ... but not in anything as big as this," Gaby quietly mentioned.

"I think I know what you mean," Erin assured her.

"Erin?" Gaby ventured.

"What, hun?" Erin replied.

"Um ... tonight ... where ... ummm ... who am I sharing with?"

"Me. Diane’s sharing with Patty and since you and I are the only ‘girls’ left..." Erin left the thought incomplete.

"Oh," Gaby thoughtfully pondered.

"You okay with that?" Erin asked.

"Yeah ... it actually works out better. I thought I might be sharing with you and Diane. I didn't know Patty was coming."

"Well … it was a bit last minute, but with Derek coming to help out ... she insisted on coming. As you say … it's worked out well. If you fancy some ‘Drew time’ later, you can."

Thanks, Erin...” Gaby quietly replied.

"Why don't you catch a few zees ... it's gonna be a really long drive." Erin quickly gave a motherly glance over at the girl sitting beside her.

Gaby stared out of the window as the miles of the interstate disappeared beneath the wheels of the pick-up and the truck’s radio taking on the role of background noise. Erin was happily tapping her fingers on the steering wheel in time to the latest from Shania Twain, which made Gaby smile to herself. It was exactly what her mum would do and despite being tone deaf, she would occasionally sing along! Soon her thoughts were filled with those of her mum and even projected forward to the following week when she’d once again, be back home with the both her parents.

Erin wasn't kidding about the long drive! Gaby couldn't remember ever being on a road trip as long as this one was. According to Erin, it was a nine-and-a-half hour drive if they drove straight through with no stops. In any event, they did stop every couple of hours for toilet breaks and driver changes at the service centres that lined the interstate at fairly regular intervals. Sometimes Gaby rode in the van with Aidan or with Diane in her Envoy, but it wasn’t the same as riding with Erin in her pickup. The weather took a dive in southern Virginia, where it was much cooler and threatening rain, but by the time they had crossed the Carolina's it was looking decidedly more spring-like.
Later in the early evening hours, they left the Interstate and pulled into a large truck-stop about seventy miles from Atlanta for dinner.

"Is it much further, Erin?" Gaby later asked when they got back onto the interstate.

"Roughly an hour. We're booked into a Best Western in a place called Stratford. It’s only a couple of miles on the other side of Atlanta … but we’re about a half hour drive from the assembly area for the race. You’ll see that a lot of the other teams use the same place. It’s much easier than trying to get a room in the city."

The convoy exited the I-20 onto Route 139 as soon as they were through Atlanta and drove the last few miles to Stratford, passing through a mix of urban areas and large open fields. Frank signalled a right-hand turn and a few minutes later they pulled into the parking lot of their motel.

When she jumped down from the pick-up, Gaby was surprised that it wasn't that cold. As Erin suggested, it was more like a spring evening. As she surveyed the well-lit parking lot from where she stood, Gaby noticed several other buses and vans emblazoned with shop names and team logos, scattered throughout. After they got settled in their assigned rooms, almost everyone decided to go for a last coffee, except for Gaby. She decided to ‘call it a day’ and headed off, straight to bed. After awhile, Erin crept into their shared room.

(bump) “Shit!” Erin hissed as she stumbled against Gaby’s bed.

“Erin?”

“Sorry ... I didn’t mean to wake you,” Erin softly allowed.

“That’s okay,” Gaby wearily replied as she rolled onto her side and propped herself up by her elbow.

(click) “Is that better?” Gaby playfully asked as she turned on the lamp by her bed.

“Much...” Erin cheerfully replied as she began to get undressed.

“Ummm ... that’s a purdy nightgown, Drew...” a confused Erin observed. She had somehow expected to see him in pyjamas.

“Like it? It was a gift from my Mum,” Gaby admitted. Noting Erin’s confusion, she threw back her blankets and sat up on the side of her mattress.

“I guess you’re wondering why I’m in a nightdress when I could’ve been in pyjamas ... aren’t you?”

Erin silently shook her head. “Did cross my mind.”

“Sit down an’ I’ll tell you a bedtime story ... ‘member what I told you about Gaby back when we first met? What I didn’t tell you was...” Gaby confided.
For the next half hour or so, she told Erin of the now infamous blood tests and Dr. Sanwari’s letter.

“Fer now … please keep it to yourself? You’re the only one outside of the family, Miss Cowlishaw and Miss Bell, to know this…” Gaby requested.

Erin slowly shook her head in amazement.

“Gab? I’m honoured that you felt comfortable enough to tell me ... thank you,” Erin gushed as she hugged Gaby.

“I figured that since you knew about Drew ... it was only right you knew about me,” Gaby softly replied.

“Nite, hun ... see ya in the morning. I’ve asked for a wake-up call at six,” Erin mentioned before getting under her own covers and letting Gaby turn out the light.
“G’nite Erin.”

~~~

(Brrring! Brrring! Brrring!)

“H ... hello? ... Oh ... thank you very much,” Erin wearily spoke into the phone’s handset before replacing it on the phone’s cradle.

“Gaby … hun ... time to get up. We have a race to ride.”

In Gaby’s mind, six o’clock came way too early as she reluctantly swung her feet over the edge of the bed. While Erin was thinking about heading for the shower, the phone rang again.

(Brrring! Brrin...)

“Hello? ... Mornin’ Diane ... nope ... we’re already up!” Erin allowed then upon hearing the water running, looked around the room. “Dang she’s quick! What? ... No ... Gabs must’ve snuck into the shower while I’ve been jawin’ with ya! Just hafta wait is all ... see ya in a bit ... bye.”

A few short minutes later, Gaby emerged with her hair in a towel turban and wearing a sports bra and panties.

“Shower’s free!” she playfully announced with a grin.

As Erin made a dash for the shower, Gaby started to get ready, opting to wear her skins with matching warm-up pants and her trainers to complete the ensemble. When Erin came out, Gaby was brushing out her hair.

“Gabs ... we’re going to compete in a bike race … not a beauty pageant!” Erin later joked as Gaby applied the finishing touches to her eyeliner.

“Don’t feel right without some mascara and lippy!” Gaby shot back.

“No doubt about it ... yer a girl!” Erin mumbled.

“What?” Gaby asked.

“Nuthin’ hun ... you go ahead. I’ll follow in a few minutes and meet you and the others at the truck and then we’ll head over to that Bob Evans across the way for some breakfast before heading out,” Erin answered as Gaby grabbed her team jacket and started for the door.

“Mornin’ guys!” She cheerfully greeted the few bodies assembled around the van.

“Morning, Gabs ... where’s Erin?” Diane asked.

“She’ll be out in a few minutes,” Gaby replied then spying Aidan, softly cooed, “Hi, Aidan.”

Mornin’ Gaby,” Aidan replied. Once he got close to her he whispered with a grin on his face, “I know what you told me ... but I still dreamed about you, last night.”

“Was it a nice dream?” Gaby coyly asked?

“Yep!” Aidan eagerly replied.

Upon hearing his answer, she immediately turned a deep shade of red, much to Diane’s amusement and her own embarrassment. Now it was Aidan’s turn. He placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pulled her towards him, sneaking a kiss on her lips.

“Ummmmm ... makes getting up worthwhile,” he softly whispered as he took her by the hand and followed the others as they made their way across the hotel parking lot to the restaurant.

“Aidan ... I told yo...” Gaby started to quietly protest.

“Sh-h-h-h-h. I know what you said, but it’s my last weekend with you ... please?” Aidan pleaded.

“Okay ... just as long as you know,” Gaby playfully warned as she continued walking along, hand-in-hand.

When they arrived in the restaurant and were waiting to be seated, Gaby noticed they weren’t the only ones to come for breakfast in their skins.

“Why don’t they just start the race now? It looks like everyone’s here!” Aidan quipped.

“It does, doesn’t it? But believe me ... there’ll be a lot more once we get to the start line,” Erin observed. “C’mon kids ... we’re being seated.”

Soon after being shown their seats, Frank and Erin pulled together their two tables, while Derek and the rest of the ‘support crew’ ended up seated a couple of tables away. Throughout the course of the meal, Frank tried to give Gaby and Aidan a sense of what they could expect even though the competitors varied greatly year to year. They wisely opted to try to decide on the details of their ‘game plan’ once they saw the competition and instead decided to discuss things in generalities.

With breakfast over and the bills settled, everyone headed for their respective vehicles and the short drive to their final destination. Gaby knew she’d arrived when at the end of short twenty minute drive, the small convoy pulled into the sports complex on the grounds of Georgia State University.

“Okay ... showtime! Feel free to look around while Frank and I register you lot ... but don’t go far ... we’ve still got work to do!” Erin instructed.

The scene that greeted Gaby as she got out of the truck was a bit like a cross between the time when she went to see her Mum in the ‘Tour’ and the Cuckney Ten’s she rode back home. The more professional looking set ups had big campers and trucks while the amateurs like the ‘Express’ just had their own cars or vans. At least, they had one of those gazebo-like tents to prepare the bikes and stuff under. Although it was only nine o'clock it was already getting to be quite warm.

Erin and Don had Gaby’s bike through the stand first so she was able to have a quick ride around the parking lot just as a leg stretch. Frank wanted the team to have a short warm-up ride at nine-thirty. The race was scheduled to start at ten-thirty.

Like a moth to light, Gaby was drawn to the vendors near the registration area. All the big names were there, Trek, Shimano, Specialized, Giant and even Campag! It was like a miniature bike show but interspersed were some retailers who were doing a good business with tires and stuff. Reluctantly, Gaby pulled herself away from the vendors and quickly made her way back to the Grottoes Express tent where the others were just about set for the warm up ride. While making her way back, she saw some familiar strips walking amongst the vendors and the other participants. Both the men’s and women’s T-Mobile teams were there. She also saw the light blue strip of Gerolsteiner as well as catching a glimpse of a couple of lads in what appeared to her as the black and white of the CSC strip. Seeing that those pro teams were there, made her realize how serious this race was. Uon arriving back at the Grottoes Express tent she excitedly mentioned what she observed to the others.

“Just like ol` home week ... huh, Gabs?” Diane joked.

“All that’s missing is her mum’s team ... right, Gaby?” added Erin.

“I wish!” Gaby enthused. As she grabbed her bike to join the others, it finally dawned on her that she would be riding in the same race with these pro teams.

“Everyone ready?” Frank’s call brought her back out of her daydream. With everyone signalling their readiness, Frank and Erin led the team off for a short warm-up ride then it was off to the race assembly area.

 
 
Comments are gratefully appreciated
                      Really!


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice break of pace

It's good to have a mostly happy chapter for a change after the pathos of the last few, PB.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Gabi, dump the bitchy, manipulative, cowardly Maddie and date Aidan, the charming, honrable and brave young man. It would solve a lot of problems.

John in Wauwatosa

Gaby Back In Form Now.

Nice to see her concentrating upon the thing that she does best. She has grown in this trip, but at great cost.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

def a place Gabby feels @ home.

Also like the soft touch of aiden trying to get the beautiful girl and Gabby responding even tho we know what Gabby really wants. Least for now she can count on friends whom accept her for her, and i suspect some more like Erin & Diane have an idea Gabby might not be what she seems but still taken her @ face value. if you're a famious biker and yer mom is on world stage..and this team is serious about what they do...the likely hood they read same mags i would or Gabby and would know his exploits.
.
they also know that if erin & diane are kewl with setup not to make waves.