All Things Denied 14 - 'Cheer Competition'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 14 - 'Cheer Competition'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

It's time for the cheerleading competition; emotions are running high!
Revised from the original


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 14
 

Classes on the Thursday prior to the cheer competition were pretty normal, but when school was dismissed for the day, it was only beginning for the Sherwood Foresters. Jessica and Bunny – in her role as Augusta High’s cheer coach, combined forces to ‘fine tune’ their planned performance for the competition and it proved to be an extended workout, the likes the British girls had not seen until now.

“And one and two and three and four ... annnnnnndddd ... stop! …Hold it ladies … keep smiling Allison ... and ... relax!” Bunny extolled as she completed their cheer practice.

“Ohhhh ... my broken body thanks you!...” Em wheezed as she stood bent over with her hands on her knees.

“Cor!” Gaby found her lungs crying for air. “You’d (puff) ... think I just ... (puff) took on Mark Cavendish ... (puff) in a sprint!”

“God ... I'm glad that's over!” Bernie managed to whisper.

“Well done girls!” Miss Cowlishaw stated. “Full uniform practice tomorrow ... so don’t forget them! Right, Gaby?”

“No, Miss ... (puff) ... I mean ... (puff) ... yes, Miss.”

That got a few giggles from Maddy.

“Well … good luck girls. I'll be watching you on Saturday,” Bunny called out before leaving for the night.

“Bunny?” Miss Bell called out.

“Yes?”

“Thanks for taking the time and stepping in to give us a few last minute pointers … right girls?” After the girls suitably thanked Bunny for her time, she exited the gym.

“I’m sorry we missed out on practising our intro as planned. She stayed longer than I thought she would … but I think you girls got it down pat anyway. We’ll have the dresses here tomorrow … so plan on a long practise. You’ll have to get used to tearing them off like it was second nature,” Miss Cowlishaw cautioned.

Because Jocelyn was waiting outside in the car, Gaby had to pass up yet another opportunity to talk with the gang. She felt they were drifting apart and she so desperately wanted the chance to talk to them. She hoped that maybe if they could hang out together like they used to, things would start to return to normal.

Earth to Gaby! I said how did your practice with Bunny go?” Britney loudly asked.

“What? Ummm ... I guess I wasn't listening,” Gaby absently replied.

“Like ... that’s a news flash!” an exasperated Britney exclaimed.

“Huh?”

“Bunny! ... Practice? ... Ya know? As in cheerleaders?” Britney was getting frustrated with Gaby’s lack of attention.

“Britney! Leave her alone!” Mrs Walters chided.

“Mo-om!” Britney whined.

“It’s alright Mrs. Walters,” Gaby allowed.

“No, it’s not Gaby! Now Britney ... you stop pestering her! I'm sho’ she’ll tell you when she's good and ready,” Jocelyn cautioned her youngest.

On the way home, Mrs. Walters unexpectedly pulled into the parking lot of the local grocery store.

“I just have to pick up a few things ... you girls coming in?”

It may have been a bit of an inconvenience to Britney but Gaby saw it as another opportunity to explore, not having been in an American grocery store before. Finally, Mrs. Walters declared she got everything she was after and then some, thanks to both girls. After loading the car, they were soon back at home.

That night, the usual transatlantic call from home was a bit of a disappointment to Gaby. She felt guilty about even feeling that way, but Dave explained Jenny went out with Carol for the evening. She did find some solace in describing in detail the bike Diane had built for her to ride in the Atlanta Winter Classic. When she finished talking to her dad, she handed the phone over to Jules before rejoining the others in their living room.

Friday’s classes seemed longer and more boring than usual. Cheer practice seemed to go without a hitch. The girls had taken to learning the new part of the routine remarkably well. Everyone, including Miss Cowlishaw and Miss Bell, seemed quite pleased.

(CLAP!) “Okay, girls ... your attention please! That’s better ... now … we're travelling up with both of the Augusta High team’s in the morning. Everyone know how they’re getting here?” Miss Cowlishaw asked.

Yes Miss,” they chorused.

“Okay then, off you go! I'll see you tomorrow morning at seven sharp!” Fran dismissed the cheer team with another clap of the hands.

Gaby caught a lift with Em and Sandy back to the Walters. After dumping her books in her room, she decided to take a quick stroll and ended up staring through Erin's shop window.

“Where have you been?” Jules later impatiently asked when Gaby got up to the attic.

“Cheer practice?”

“That finished ages ago ... I mean ‘after’ practice! You missed dinner ... and Mad phoned lookin’ for you. She said Sandy gave you a lift.”

“She did! I just needed to go off ... an’ think. Mrs. W knew what I was planning to do. What did Mad want?” Gaby asked.

“Just reminding you to take your camera tomorrow,” Jules replied.

“Oh, yeah … if I don’t forget...” Gaby dismissed. She was a little disappointed she missed the call as she wanted to talk with her.

“…And Mrs. W is driving Debs and me up a bit later in the car to watch.” Jules droned on.

"Huh?”

“Fergit it ... g’nite Sis,” Jules mumbled as she turned out the light on their night table.

Gaby couldn't sleep. Her mind jumped about, thinking about things like tomorrow's competition and Maddy.

“What is she up to? Why’s she acting like she has? Why does she act like she doesn’t like me around. What’s her connection with Sam? I really miss talking with her and the rest of the gang. Atlanta should be good. Sunday should be good. I hope we don't show ourselves up tomorrow, I mean the Americans practically invented cheerleading didn't they?“

“Allison Lacey?”

“Miss.”

“Gabrielle Bond?”

“Here, Miss.”

“Madeline Peters?”

“Miss.”

“Mer-fawn-ee Morgan?”

“Here, Miss.”

“... and Bernadette Rose.”

“Here, Miss.”

“That's all of us, Bunny!” Miss Cowlishaw confirmed when the Augusta cheer coach finished calling the roll.

“Let’s get this show on the road then. Okay people! ... AHEM! I’m talking to ALL the cheerleaders, not just our guests!” Bunny spoke above the din of excited voices from the Augusta High cheerleaders, causing the dull roar to suddenly cease.

“That’s better! Now ... quickly put your sports bags in the luggage holds and get on board ... like civilized young ladies and gentlemen ... if that’s possible!”

When everyone filed out to the school parking lot, they found a full-sized Greyhound coach waiting for them. The Sherwood Foresters especially, were delighted at the prospect of the long road journey to the East Coast Cheer and Dance Championships being completed in comfort, given the many hours they’ve recently endured at the hands of George and his school bus.

“Okay, people ... take a seat, please!” Bunny instructed and then nodded to the driver that they were ready to depart the school.

As the coach entered the traffic pattern of the interstate, the conversation level of everyone on board increased with the road noise. There were actually three separate cheer squads on board. There was the Sherwood Foresters and both the Junior and Senior AHS cheer squads. Normally quite competitive between each other, Jessica had explained to the Foresters that for competitions, both squads were combined into single team. Since there was room for the girls to spread out on the bus, several decided to grab a double set of seats for themselves. This arrangement left Gaby sitting near Maddy and she took the opportunity to finally talk to her girlfriend.

“Mad? Can I sit here?”

“Okay ... but you’re not going to start in on me with Sam, are you?”

“Why won’t you answer my question? You kept telling me you were my girlfriend ... an’ I believed you! Sam thinks you two are an item ... an’ you’re not doing anything to tell me he’s wrong! All I want to know is what’s going on between you two ... the truth! Is he like … your new boyfriend?” Gaby quietly asked.

Maddy turned and glared at Gaby.

“I don’t have to tell you anything! What are you ... jealous? I told you you’re not my girlfriend ... never were ... never will be! I have a boyfriend!” Maddy angrily hissed.

“Now, go away!”

“Maddy?” Gaby pleaded, tears forming in her eyes.

“Get out of here!” Maddy hissed and pushed Gaby away to emphasize the point.

Gaby reluctantly complied and slowly returned to her original seat, leaving Maddy to herself. A smile grew on her lips as she watched her distressed and confused girlfriend return to her seat. For the rest of the trip, Gaby sat in silence trying to figure out what had happened between them. Whenever Maddy caught sight of Gaby looking her way, she immediately acted disinterested, yet she kept a discrete eye on her.

“You’re enjoying this, aren’t you? ... Gaby, I mean…” observed Ally as she sat down beside Maddy.

Feeling a bit put out that Ally invited herself, a very smug Maddy replied, “Yeah ... I am!”

“Why are you doing this to Drew?”

“Because I can. We always play these mind games.”

“You mean you always play them! Drew fancies you and you know he’ll do anything for you ... so you torment him?” Ally stated.

“Thrill of the hunt an’ all that! It’s just a game,” Maddy replied with a certain disinterest.

“One of these times you’ll push him too far ... and when that happens ... it’s game over and you lose! Yer too bloody immature to admit when yer wrong and your ego won’t allow you to quit,” Ally hissed before she abruptly left the seat to take another vacant seat a few rows ahead of Maddy.

The bus driver pulled into a service centre near the town of Front Royal at which time they were informed they were nearly at their destination, which was the Fairfax Campus of George Mason University. Following a short stop in which the kids were allowed to stretch their legs, the group re-boarded the bus and completed the trip, pulling into the Fieldhouse Sports Facility parking lot just before noon.

The actual competition was due to start at one so they still had time to grab something to eat and get oriented to the place. Bunny and Miss Cowlishaw went to register the teams while Miss Bell took the group for a quick peek at the venue. To say that it was impressive, was an understatement! The hall itself was huge. Around the perimeter of the hall was an indoor running track and the track’s infield contained three basketball courts!

“Hey, Brit! Who or what are the Patriots? Their name is all over the place!” Ally asked as both squads looked at the competition site for the first time.

“They’re the University’s football team!” she proudly replied.

“They play football here?” Em asked.

“Wrong football, Em!” Gaby corrected as she rolled her eyes.

To imply the Foresters were just still a bit overawed by the place would be to understate the obvious.

“We’re supposed to do our routine here?” Maddy asked Miss Cowlishaw. “It’s so-o-o large!”

“Think of it as another Peterborough … and don’t let the size of the place worry you,” Fran replied trying to calm any pre-performance jitters. A silence fell while the girls let that thought sink in.

“Okay, girls ... we’re on at two fifteen, so we'll go and eat now then come back to get ready. You’ll need to wear those ID tags that Miss Bell passed out, at all times except when you’re performing...” Fran told the Foresters.

“...Any questions? No? Okay, then ... let’s find the cafeteria.”

Miss Cowlishaw led her squad across a large open area surrounded by modern-looking buildings until they finally approached one of the buildings that had a bunch of high school girls at the entrance, giggling at some poster. Fran cautioned the girls to only get something light, but promised something a bit more filling after their performance.
As they made their way back to the sports complex, they noticed that there were quite a few more coaches and school buses in the parking lot and a corresponding increase in the number of competing cheer squads milling around, both outside and inside the complex. The girls of the Sherwood Foresters thought the competition level was pretty serious when they went to Peterborough, but they found out this was way more intense. Bernie remarked that one could almost literally cut the tension with a knife.

Once they found their changing area, Fran went back up to the competition floor, leaving the girls to get ready. As they dressed and primped, Maddy and Em engaged in a constant banter about the boys around the place, comparing Drew rather unfavourably to them. Even though it was plain to see that those two were trying to bait a certain person, the only ones it was irritating were Ally and Bernie. Gaby was in her own pre-competition world and was focused on the upcoming competition as much as she would be for any bike race. This meant that she was completely ignoring the others, much to the irritation of her would-be tormentors.

After they were ready, they all headed out to the hall to watch a bit of the competition. Compared to back home, a lot of the stuff was purely designed for competitions, comprised of complicated set pieces with an emphasis on perfection. Both of the escorts could see each of the Foresters were getting a case of nerves and starting to feel a bit out of their depth. All too soon it was two o'clock and they were ushered into the holding area. Once there, Jessica handed out the finishing touch to their performance and collected their ID tags. When they re-emerged from the small room that was set aside to allow final touch-ups to make-up, etc., the girl’s started to get some strange looks from some of the other competitors.

Before any more self-doubts could manifest in each of the girls, the sound system crackled to life.

“All the way from Notting-ham, England ... the Sure-wood Foresters!”

The MC's announcement seemed to bounce around accompanied by some polite applause and a few cheers from the assembled mass of humanity.
Silence fell over the stadium like a curtain when the hymn-like opening of Madonna’s ‘Like a Prayer’ wafted from the sound system in the stadium and Gaby came out onto the ‘floor’ wearing a floor-length, heavy Victorian dress and performing a few ballet moves. As the music progressed, she was joined by the others in identical dresses, adding colour to the routine with some ribbons.

Exactly nineteen seconds later, the melodic tune paused and each girl ‘froze’ in place and immediately began her own silent countdown as looks of confusion dominated the judge’s faces.

"One, two, three, four, five, now!"

It was obvious to the team as well as to Fran and Jessica, that the opening part of the routine caught the spectators and judges alike, by surprise.
As the rhythmic beat of the dance remix suddenly shot forth, the girls quickly peeled away the Velcro and dropped the heavy dresses, revealing their uniforms. Just as quickly, Fran and Jessica dragged the discarded apparel and ribbons off the floor as the girls ran for their pompoms that were lined up along one side of the ‘floor’ and entered into their real routine. Energetic and fast-paced from beginning to end, it was a mix of dance and gymnastic moves. Although each girl felt like it lasted forever, they all felt a wave of relief wash over them when Gaby landed her splits right on cue as the music finished, five minutes later.

Their routine with its unorthodox intro, stood out from the other participants and judging by the standing ovation from many in the stands, it was well received. Despite some misgivings from Bunny when she provided some pointers to the Sherwood Foresters, they stuck to their original game plan. With so many squads taking part they were quickly ushered off the ‘floor’ to join their coaches.

“Well done, you guys!” Miss Bell beamed.

“I think you stunned them a bit!” Miss Cowlishaw added.

“Can we watch for a while or do you want us to change now?” Ally asked.

“After a performance like that ... better stay in your uniforms for now … just in case,” Miss Bell suggested.

“You can watch from the stands … but don't wander off. I don't want to spend hours searching the campus,” Fran suggested.

From the seats the girls found at the back of the stands, they could see both arenas. Gaby found herself caught up in some of the action packed routines the bigger groups were performing. By contrast the smaller teams like the Foresters seemed a bit wimpy.

Maddy and Em deliberately took the empty seats directly behind Gaby and resumed their discussion of boys much to the annoyance of Ally and Bernie. They only stopped when they heard a familiar voice behind them.

“Hey guys … well done!” Bunny piped up.

“Thanks Bunny,” Maddy replied.

“That was an interesting entrance,” Bunny suggested then added with a grin, “You know … it’s strange, but … any of the times I managed to sneak a peek … I never saw you girls practise that.”

“We know!” Bernie mischievously agreed with a knowing glance to Ally.

“I think I’ll have to have a talk with Miss Bell about that,” Bunny playfully mused.

“Miss C thought of it after Gabs got to wear a dress like those on one of our trips,” Em explained.

"An’ Em’s takin’ ballet … so she was asked to show us some steps,” Maddy volunteered.

“Well … judging from what I’ve overheard and the reactions I’ve seen from people … you were a hit!” Bunny revealed.

“Thanks,” Bernie stated, “How did Augusta do? We didn't get to see them.”

“I don't think we'll get a trophy this year … but we should still qualify for the Eastern Board,” Bunny quietly stated.

"Kewel,” Ally allowed, sounding like she knew what that meant.

“I best get back. See ya later girls!” Bunny allowed as she rose from her crouch position.

“Bye, Bunny!” Maddy called out as Bunny left the stands, then promptly returned to the mind games at the point she and Em left off.

Just as Gaby was about to turn around to say something to Maddy, she heard another familiar voice behind her.

“There you are!”

“Oh ... hi, Deb. Jules not with you?” Gaby inquired.

“Right here!” Jules announced, sitting herself in the empty chair next to her sister.

“I didn't know you were coming,” Em casually mentioned.

“Mom always goes to Brit's competitions and with you guys here … we had twice as much reason to come!” Deb explained.

“So what happens now?” Gaby asked her. “You know … like after everyone's performed.”

“Well … the judges make their decisions and the awards are given out,” Debbie replied, then solemnly added, “But I don't think Augusta will win anything though.”

“Nor us.” Bernie speculated.

“Hey ... don't put yourselves down. You were really good!” Debbie cheerfully stated.

“We both think you were bloody good!” Jules confirmed.

Once everyone settled down to watch the remaining competition, Maddy resumed talking with Em. After a short time, Gaby finally had enough and turned around to face her tormentors.

“Mad ... please stop? I know you’re just trying to wind me up, but ... just stop?”

“I’ll do no such thing, Gaby Bond!” Maddy indignantly replied. “Besides … what we talk about is none of your bloody business!”

“Mad?” Gaby started to plead when she was interrupted.

“Turn around and quit eavesdropping!” Maddy snapped.

“Yeah!” Em added.

All this time, Jules was shooting daggers at Maddy and as a despondent Gaby turned around in her seat, both Ally and Bernie started to voice their opinions to a smirking Maddy and Em.

After several minutes and with any thought of watching the remaining competition forgotten, Gaby looked at her sister. Then with a determined look on her face and anger in her voice, she again turned around, this time to confront Maddy.

“Now you listen to me Maddy Peters ... ‘cuz I’m not going to repeat this! ... I love you an’ I always will ... but I can’t stand here and take your abuse and your self-centred ‘mind games’ any longer! I asked you nicely, to stop ... an’ you didn’t. I try to ask you ‘bout your real feelings for me ... an’ I get some flippant answer. I ... give you my love … an’ all I get in return is your lies, abuse and humiliation. You’ve changed since we arrived here, Mad. Is everything you’ve told me back in Warsop a lie ... or is this the lie?”

Again, Gaby called Maddy on her behaviour and all she found she could do was to hang her head and remain silent.

“That’s what I thought! Since you can’t love me for who I am ... an’ as an equal ... instead of just as something you can mess with however and whenever you want … I think it’s time we just end this. Good-bye Mad!” Gaby hissed.

Maddy’s head jerked up, an expression of shock frozen across her face. She never imagined such a reaction from Gaby.

“Oh yeah? Wh ... what ... do I care? I’ve got a boyfriend … thank you, very much ... an’ ... you’re certainly not him!” Maddy angrily replied. Her words were meant to hurt, but the emotion in her voice proclaimed to all that it was she who was hurt.

“Crikey! You actually thought ... you ... and me? I got news for ya ... not gonna happen, girlie! I’m ... no ... lesbo!” she quietly added as her eyes began to mist over, forcing her to look away from Gaby. Ally and Bernie sat in their seats, stunned by the unexpected exchange.

“Then it’s really over, innit?” Gaby quietly lamented.

“All I said is that you’re not my boyfriend … an’ … an’ … you’re … certainly not Drew!” Maddy replied with a sense of false bravado but as the words left her mouth, she knew what she’d just done. Gaby and Jules exchanged knowing glances.

“Is Gaby … not Drew … an’ Drew … not Gaby?” Gaby calmly wondered.

At this point, she couldn’t care if her comments were overheard by those around them. Although Maddy’s gaze remained fixed upon Gaby, she couldn’t find any words to reply to the question. After a few moments of silence, Gaby knew Maddy would never relent.

“Fine! Have it your way … but don’t expect Drew to be there for you any longer, either ... 'cuz he won't!” a frustrated Gaby shot back and ran from her seat into the hallway behind the stands where the team was seated.

Before Gaby made it to the hallway, Maddy called out behind her, “What makes you think you can talk for him?”

“What did I tell you?” Jules quietly hissed as she glared at Maddy with cold, expressionless, eyes.

While giving Maddy a look of pure hatred, Jules rose up from her seat and quickly took off after her sister. Ally, rising up from her seat also intending to go after Gaby, was stopped by Em.

“Let her go ... she’ll get over it ... she always does ... an’ those two will be right back at it as if nothing happened!” Em said with a dismissive smirk on her face.

“Get your hand off me ... now!” Ally snapped back. “She’s right ... whether you know it or not ... an’ for that matter ... I don’t like how you’ve been treating me ... or her ... on this trip! You’ve seemed to have forgotten you two were proper mates and that I was your girlfriend ... but … you called an end to that as soon as you started making decisions about ‘us’ ... without even asking me ... an’ treating me as a non-person!”

“Ally ... you’re still my girlfriend! It’s just that I...” a shocked Em whispered as Ally glared at him.

Was ... I was your girlfriend ... past tense! I hope you and Rhod will be very happy together!”

Ally then suddenly pulled free from Em’s grasp and started to work her way into the aisle. As she shuffled past Maddy, she stopped long enough to quietly hiss a parting observation.

“Game’s over ... you lose...”

Ally then forcefully pushed Maddy’s legs out of her way and moved into the aisle before breaking into a jog for the exit. As she reached the main corridor running behind the stands, she automatically turned in the direction she thought her friend went and almost ran head-long into Mrs. Walters.

“Oh! Excuse me ... I’m awfully sorry!”

She had a sinking feeling that her friend made for their change room. Those feelings were confirmed when she got there and met Jules just as she was coming out of the door.

“You stay with Gabs while I go get Miss C?” Jules asked as she passed Ally at the door. Ally nodded and Jules ran back to the gym.

Entering the girl’s change room that the team had used, Ally found Gaby sitting on a bench between the rows of lockers. She had obviously started to change and was stripped to her underwear, her Sherwood Forester uniform nowhere to be seen. As Ally approached her friend, Gaby remained sitting along the length of the bench, with her knees tucked up under her chin, her cold gaze and tear-stained face firmly fixed straight ahead.

“Gabs? ... You okay?” Ally softly asked. Gaby slowly shook her head.

Sitting down on the bench in front of Gaby, Ally turned to face her friend. She took a quick look around the room and didn’t see Gaby’s Forester uniform anywhere.

“Where’s your uniform?”

Still looking straight ahead with an emotionless blank stare, Gaby silently responded with a single shrug of the shoulders. Just then, they both heard Jules and Miss Cowlishaw talking as they entered the room.

“It’s over here,” Jules said as she led Fran over to the showers. “I turned off the water and then left it as I found it.”

Looking down both rows of lockers in the change room, Fran saw a discarded plastic shopping bag on the floor and after picking it up, gave it to Jules.

“Try your best to wring it out and then put it in here, please.”

As Jules took the bag, Fran quietly tried to inject some hope into the situation.

“Thank you, Jules ... and don’t worry, dear ... we’ll sort this out.” She then left Jules to gather up the wet uniform while she went to Gaby’s side.

“Your uniform’s soaked,” Fran calmly observed as she knelt beside Gaby. “What was the purpose in that?”

“I figured you’d (sniff) try to make me put it on again ... but I’m not. (sniff) I’m leaving the team … like I (sniff) said I’d do back in Mr. Wood’s office!” Gaby snapped while tears continued to run down her cheeks.

“You said you’d do that after the competition,” Fran softly replied.

“I said I’d only stay with the team until we finished our routine ... an’ you agreed (sniff). I did what I promised ... an’ now I’m leaving!” Gaby sharply answered.

“By the looks of things … we have a chance to win a prize … and they’ll probably expect everyone will be there to collect it,” Miss Cowlishaw explained.

“The deal was only to be there so the others could participate ... nothing was said about collecting a prize (sniff). I’m just doing what I said I would do! Now, yer gonna tell me you didn’t agree to that ... aren’tcha?” By this time Jules had rejoined them.

“No ... I’m not going to break my word to you,” Miss Cowlishaw quietly conceded as she reached out for Gaby’s hand.

“Gaby ... I want you to tell me the truth ... was Maddy’s behaviour in the stands, the reason for your decision to leave right now?” Fran asked following a deep breath.

A surprised Gaby looked over to her sister. “It’s okay, sis. I told her how Mad finally crossed the line.”

A couple of tears ran down her cheeks as Gaby reluctantly nodded her head in answer to Fran’s question. Miss Cowlishaw stood up and helped Gaby to her feet, embracing her in a deep hug once the two were facing each other.

“I’m very sorry it came to this, Gaby. Maybe Jess and I should’ve just sent you home long ago when we first knew of what you were going through … instead of giving you the choice.” Fran’s quiet comment was coloured by the emotion creeping into her voice.

“I know I what I told you … but you an’ Jessica did give me that choice ... an’ I made it. (sniff) If I did go back … you said the Foresters would’ve had to pull out ... an’ I promised you I’d be there for them ... an’ ... if I did go ‘ome … Jules said she would’ve come with me because things wouldn’t feel right staying at the Walters after I left ... an’ that wouldn’t be fair to her,” Gaby tearfully replied as she laid her head on Fran’s shoulder.

“Why would you have to pull out if Gaby left?” Jules asked.

“The rules stated that for the Foresters' to participate, we had to have a minimum of five on the team ... Gaby’s departure would have left us short,” Fran explained as she continued to hold Gaby.

“So what if you went home and we had to pull out? You’ve got to stop trying to please everybody at your expense! I know Miss C would’ve told us exactly why you left and Maddy and Em would only have themselves to blame!” Ally supportively piped in.

“No matter wot Miss C said, it’d still be all my fault an’ they’d make sure everybody knew that when they got home,” Gaby solemnly replied.

“Were all the problems of the last five weeks really worth it, sis?” Jules quietly asked as she shook her head while Gaby tightened her hold on Fran.

“Your sister’s right. We can’t take any ‘pot’ home with us even if we did win because I’m told they have to be returned for next year’s competition. So ... without anything to show for it, people would just have to take our word for it. No … this bloody competition’s not been worth the cost you’ve had to pay,” Fran quietly admitted.

“When you told me you wanted to stop cheering, back in Mr. Wood’s office … in the back of my mind I was hoping that the competition might fire you up ... maybe even change your mind ... but after today, that’s not going to happen ... is it?”

“No!” Gaby firmly stated. “Even if I wasn't leaving, I couldn’t stay on the team with those two ... the trust isn’t there anymore … an’ you need that in a team.”

“I understand. It’s not what I necessarily wanted to hear ... but I understand and respect it,” Fran emotionally agreed as she and Gaby finally broke their embrace.

At that moment the locker room door flew open and Bernie ran into the room, bursting with excitement.

We won! Miss Bell wants everyone ready to do our routine again when we accept our prize. We’re all dressed ... just waiting for you ... guys...” her voice trailing off as she noticed the solemn looks on the faces of the others.

“Ummm, Gaby? Why are you standing around in your underwear?” Bernie uncomfortably asked. She had a bad feeling about the answer she would hear.

“Tell Miss Bell we’ll be there in a few minutes...” Fran quietly instructed. “...but ... without Gaby ... and there’ll be no repeat performance...”

Gaby had pulled on her turtleneck sweater and had her pantyhose in her hands when Bernie turned to her.

“Gabs’ ...” Ally solemnly began.

Bernie quickly sized things up and her question came across more as a statement of fact.

“It was those two ... wasn’t it? They finally pushed you...”

“It was my decision and mine alone, Bern ... Miss C even tried to talk me out of it … but my mind’s made up,” Gaby replied.

“I’m right, though ... aren’t I? It was them...” Bernie whispered.

“Among other things … but yeah … Mad ... did...” Gaby quietly admitted.

“Now, g’wan ... Miss Bell’s expecting you. I’ll see you on Monday.” Before she turned to run back, Bernie gave Gaby a long tear-filled hug.

“Comin’ Ally?” Bernie asked of her friend when she released Gaby.

“I’ll be along with Miss C!” Ally called out as Bernie disappeared out the door.

“Why did you tell her you’ll see her on Monday? She’ll be on the bus with us … or you intending to walk back?” Fran inquired.

“That’s for the team, Miss ... an’ I’m not on the team any more ... besides … I think it would be better not be in the company of certain people right now,” Gaby quietly argued. “Jules already said I can ride back with her and Mrs. Walters.”

“Okay … but let me talk to Mrs. Walters first to see if it’s okay with her,” Fran quietly allowed and then holding up the bag with the wet uniform, asked, “In the meantime ... what do we do with your uniform?”

“Whatever you want ... I don’t want it,” Gaby sharply replied.

“I have to get back out front, but we’ll talk later ... okay?” Fran reluctantly conceded as she left the bag on the bench beside Gaby.

Once Miss Cowlishaw and Ally made their way out of the change room, the two sisters were alone. While Jules looked on, Gaby finished pulling on her pantyhose and jeans before she calmly took the bag and deposited it in the closest garbage bin.

A disbelieving Jules shrieked, “What are you doing?

“It’s my uniform an’ I want nothing more to do with it,” Gaby coldly stated as she walked back to the bench.

“I’m sorry, sis....”

“Why?” Gaby weakly asked through quivering lips.

Almost before Jules could react, Gaby launched herself into her sister’s arms amidst loud sobs and elephant tears.

After she cried herself out, Gaby sat down on the bench to put her boots on. When she had retrieved her coat and near-empty sports bag, the two girls walked out of the room and into the hall.

As they passed the lobby inside the gymnasium’s main entrance, Jules told Gaby to wait for her there while she continued to the
spectator area in search of Debbie and her mother. Left alone, Gaby sunk down into one of the large over-stuffed pillows that dotted the small lounge.

...Meanwhile inside the gym....

“Ah, Fran ... just in time ... they’re getting close to announcing the Foresters’ class,” Jessica excitedly greeted her friend in hushed tones so as to not disturb the award ceremonies. She immediately looked around and then whispered, “Where’s Gaby?”

“With Jules … I imagine,” Fran calmly replied in hushed tones.

“What’s she doing with her? She should be here, dressed and ready to repeat her performance ... that’s what the other squads are doing,” Jessica stated. “Didn’t Bernie find you and Gaby?”

“She did ... but Gaby had already decided to leave the team by the time Bernie found us. She even soaked her uniform in the shower so I couldn’t insist she put it back on.”

Maddy’s head snapped around to look at Miss Cowlishaw in disbelief upon hearing her mention that Gaby had quit the Sherwood Foresters.

“What have we done? … Mad?” a very worried Em whispered.

“Shit! I dunno, Em ... I just dunno,” a very shaken Maddy replied in a barely audible whisper. “I never thought she’d....”

She what?” Jessica hissed. Although she tried to keep her voice down, her question did cause more than a few eyes to focus on her. Somewhat embarrassed, Jessica quickly mouthed an apology to the judges then turned her attention to Fran.

“She did what?” Jessica quietly repeated.

“Things came to a head following their routine and words were said between Gaby and Maddy. I knew Gaby was intending to leave the Foresters before we left England, but after seeing the girl's performance today, I was hoping she might change her mind.”

“You knew she was going to leave?”

“The reasons she gave me at the time, were quite valid. Our deal was that she’d only remain with the Foresters long enough to allow the team to compete. She did that ... but I fear that Maddy's behaviour to-day and their break-up solidified Gaby's decision to leave at the moment she did.”

Fran took a short reflective pause before making a final point. “...And with all she’s gone through on this trip just so these girls could compete, I wasn’t going to argue the matter.”

“To paraphrase Gaby … there’s too much ‘ill will’ between certain members of the Foresters for her to remain any longer.”

“I warned Maddy something like this would happen if she didn’t stop!” Miss Bell hissed.

“Oh gawd! We’re gonna be sent home fer sure,” a panicking Em mumbled under her breath.

“Dad’s gonna kill me!” Maddy echoed Em’s sentiments in a hushed whisper.

“You got any bright ideas what to do when they announce ‘us’?” Jessica whispered.

“We don’t have a lot of choice, Jess. It’s clear that they can’t repeat their performance...” Fran’s whisper trailed off as she became lost in thought. “I’ll just have to apologize for not being able to reprise our performance as one of the girls is unable to reappear.”

“Isn’t that the truth...” Miss Bell sarcastically commented under her breath.

“Maddy … Ally ... take off those dresses. When we’re called … Maddy ... you escort Bernie & Ally will escort Em out to accept the award.” Fran abruptly instructed after a brief silence.

“Miss? Do I hafta do this?” Ally timidly asked.

“Ally?” Miss Cowlishaw questioned.

“I don’t want this pot! (sniff) I wish we never won! I wish we never even came here! (sniff) I want things like they were!” Fran could see the tears forming in Ally’s eyes as she spoke.

“I think I know exactly how you feel, dear ... but we have to accept what’s happened and carry on the best we can. Here ... dry your eyes with this. We can’t have you going out in front of the judges looking like that,” Fran gave Ally a tissue as she as she knelt down facing the distraught girl.

Pointing directly at Maddy and Em, Fran sternly issued instructions for a new plan, after a short silence.

“I’ve changed my mind ... you two! Stay here with Miss Bell. Ally ... Bernie ... you’re with me!”

Maddy wanted to protest but thought better of it and stayed silent.

“Under sixteen's, small group,” the announcer started to mention the class the Sherwood Foresters competed in. “Special mention, Saint Charles Speed.”

The gathered spectators gave polite applause and a few, presumably from their school, cheered.

“In third place, we have Culpeper Heat!”

Another demonstration of what Britney called ‘school spirit’, with their school giving a louder cheer than the last bunch, at the announcement.

“Second place goes to…Chesterfield Saints!”

That sparked a bigger cheer from the assembled masses.

“And in first place with a most innovative set … all the way from Notting-ham England … the Sure-wood Foresters!”

On cue, the two girls put on brave faces and waving to the crowd, walked out with Miss Cowlishaw. At the same time, Jessica knelt down so she was looking between the remaining two girls as she gently put restraining hands on their shoulders.

“We’ll talk later ... back at the school,” Jessica menacingly whispered while the three were watching Fran accept the Foresters’ trophy.

Maddy turned her head towards Jessica and cast a worried look, while Em closed her eyes in resignation of her fate. As if it was rehearsed, both replied as one quiet dejected voice.

“Yes, Miss.”

After Fran accepted the first-place award, she carried it back to Jessica, off-court.

“Can we go change now, Miss?” Bernie asked.

“Please do ... I have to find Mrs. Walters. Tell the others I’ll meet them at the change room,” Fran instructed. “I want to have a few words with all of you.”

Jessica noted Maddy and Em wasted no time heading down the empty hall for the change room used by the team. It was in definite contrast to the aimless walk of the other two.

Seeing Fran wasn’t exactly jumping for joy, Jessica quietly asked her, “You alright?”

“I came this close to not going out there and accepting this, Jess...” Fran sadly confided while holding up her hand and showing a small gap between her thumb and forefinger. “This should’ve been a proud moment for us … and a highlight of the trip … but now … I’m just glad that you have to keep the bloody thing and I won’t have to look at it. I couldn’t face walking by it every day if we took it back home.”

“Mr. Woods will ask, you know...” Jessica quietly pointed out.

“I know ...” Fran solemnly replied.

As Fran started towards the spectator’s area, Jules approached with Mrs. Walters and Debbie in tow.

“I thought it’d be easier if I brought Mrs. W to you,” Jules explained when she met up with Fran in the hall.

Following a few pleasantries and comments with Jocelyn about the competition and the Sherwood Foresters in particular, Fran confirmed that Mrs. Walters was okay with taking Gaby back to Grottoes. In the meantime, Jules and Debbie had gone to get Gaby and bring her back to join the two women.

“Gaby ... what’s wrong, honey?” Jocelyn asked in a quiet voice as the girl's approached.

“I just think it best I didn’t go back with the others,” Gaby softly answered.

“Good one, Gabs. I’d hate to be Britney about now!” Debbie whispered.

“She has nothing to do with it!” Gaby quietly protested.

“Yeah, but Mom doesn’t know that!” Debbie whispered.

Throwing the 'empty' sports bag into the back of the Subaru Forester, Gaby got into the back seat with her sister, while Debbie sat up front with her mother. Upon exiting the university campus and making their way to the interstate, Gaby quietly spoke up.

“Mrs. W? In case you were wondering ... ummm ... Britney had nothing to do with this. She doesn’t even know I’m going home with you ... but I guess she’ll find out when they take roll call on the bus.”

Looking to Jules for strength, Gaby explained, “It’s just that words were said with some of the other girls and I felt it better if I wasn’t going back with them. Maybe things will have calmed down by the time we all get back.”

As she leaned back in her seat beside Jules, Debbie turned around and gave Gaby a reassuring smile. Jules and Gaby relaxed knowing Jocelyn wouldn’t press matters now that she knew Britney wasn’t involved.

 
 
Comments are gratefully appreciated


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Revised

For those who have already seen this story on MB's website, this has had some fair amount of work done on it by PB, to refine and enhance it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

All Things Denied Is One Of The Best Stories.

I want to thank P.B. and Karen J. for writing[ P.B.] and posting [Karen J ]the story. When P.B. started this story, I knew that it would be a winner! I read Prologue at Maddy Bell's site. This story is a must read for Gaby fans.

May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

well this certainly made a left turn off the origional

I'd like to say i'm most curious how this eventually will turn out, but since a certain commenter already ruined the ending. i'll just have to live with continued reading for details, but I'd like to let PB know i'm enjoying the storyline alot. you deserve a very well done for what i've completed reading :-)

Yup

Maddy and Em are real pieces of work... I have no idea what they thought was going to happen? Treating people like trash. Abuse pure and simple, poor Gabby :(