All Things Denied 16 - 'Valentines'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 16 - 'Valentines'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

All girls love to dress up and meet boys! Don't they?


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 16
 

During the week preceding Valentine’s, the school was consumed with dance fever. The girls were getting all excited over the event and the boys were trying to ignore its approach.

On Tuesday, the only thing of note was a local trip to some place called the Grand Caverns. To the dismay of the exchange students, they were back at school for the late lunch, which meant they had to go to any remaining afternoon classes. Maddy continued to avoid Gaby as much as possible. According to Ally and Bernie, it wasn’t out of hatred or anything like that, but more out of guilt as the full weight of the events surrounding her behaviour during the trip began to sink in.

Wednesday’s highlight for both of the Bond girls had to be the nightly call from the parents. From Gaby’s point of view, it was unusual that Jenny spent relatively little time on the phone with her compared to that with her sister. Judging by the way the two of them were carrying on, their mother was having a right good conversation with Jules, which left Gaby feeling like there was something going on between those two.

Valentines 2004, actually fell on a Saturday and being an election year, AHS was closed on the Friday pending a visit from one of the Presidential hopefuls, so the dance was being held Thursday night.

"How many Gabs?" Bernie asked as she met her friend at her locker and craned over her shoulder for a peak.

"What?" Gaby sharply replied.

“Valentines, silly ... duh!” Bernie shot back.

“Oh ... one,” Gaby quietly admitted as she picked it up off the floor after it fell out when she opened her locker.

"Only one?” Ally asked in disbelief. “Who’s it from then?"

"I dunno. Certainly not from Mad or you guys ... judging by the handwriting,” Gaby casually stated.

“How many?” Britney enthusiastically asked as she briskly walked up to the two girls. Gaby unceremoniously held up the solitary Valentine.

“I thought you’d get a lot more than that!” Britney coolly commented.

“And why’s that?” Gaby asked. The sarcasm of her reply was not lost on her host, as Britney quickly took a step back from the group.

“Sorry, Gabs. Anyway ... at least someone thinks a lot of you. Why don’t you open it?” she quietly replied.

"You open it! I couldn’t care less!" Gaby turned and angrily slapped the pink envelope into Britney’s hand.

She slammed her locker shut and started towards Miss Jackson’s homeroom, leaving a stunned Ally, Bernie and Britney standing in the hall.

"Gaab!" Britney whined.

“See you guys later!” she hurriedly called to the other two as she started to run after her British friend. “Gaby! Wait up!

The whole school seemed to have gone Valentines crazy even if it was two days early. Everywhere you went, groups of giggling girls were comparing notes and the boys were trying their best not to look interested. In addition, the school started sprouting a lot of hearts and ribbons. Despite Miss Cowlishaw’s repeated requests, Gaby and Ally elected to attend their respective afternoon classes instead of joining the three remaining Sherwood Foresters after late lunch to help the AHS cheerleaders decorate the school gym for the dance that night. Gaby maintained she’d left the squad for good and was intent on keeping it that way, while Ally was unsure if she wanted to cheer with Em still on the team, let alone continue with the team.

At final dismissal, Britney wandered into her homeroom where Gaby was gathering her books from her last class.

“How come you weren’t with the others decorating?” Britney whispered.

I’m not with the Foresters anymore. I quit after we did our routine at the competition,” Gaby casually replied.

“Why?” Gaby ignored her host’s plea and held her books against her chest with one arm while she grabbed her bag with the other.

“Is that why you came home with Mom?” Britney questioned again.

“Uh huh.”

“Why’d you quit?” Britney repeated her question more forcibly.

“Why? Because Mad and I broke up ... that’s why! Happy now?” Gaby hissed as she stared menacingly at Britney.

“Gabs ... yer wrong ... I never wanted you and Mad to break up. Britney softly replied. “Whatever she did...”

She was going to say more but Miss Jackson walked up to the two girls and started to speak to Gaby.

“Gaby … Mrs. Pryce just told me about your dress. Will I get to see you in it at the dance tonight?”

“I’m not going,” Gaby quietly replied.

“What do you mean … not going? From what she told me … it’d be a shame to let a dress like that go to waste just hanging in your closet! I just know you’d look absolutely lovely in it and I bet you’ll knock all the boys dead … won’t she Britney?” gushed Miss Jackson.

“She’s not interested in any of the boys!” Britney smugly replied.

“BRITNEY!”

“Sorry Miss Jackson.”

“Don’t apologize to me ... it’s Gab...” Miss Jackson started to say before she was interrupted.

“It’s okay, Miss ... I’m used to it,” Gaby flatly interjected, trying to find a way to exit the conversation.

As the two girls left the classroom to go to their lockers, Britney ran off to the office to pick up their reserved dance tickets despite Gaby’s objections. Meanwhile, Gaby continued on her way to get ready to go home. While her head was stuck in her locker, arranging her books and getting her coat, she overheard bits of a conversation that was obviously about her, as several boys walked past her locker.

“You okay, Gabs? You look lost,” Britney observed as she walked up.

“Let’s just get outta here!” Gaby impatiently suggested.

‘Yeah ... quicker we’re home … the more time we’ll have to get ready!” Britney enthused.

“I just meant we don’t want to miss our bus ... an’ I told you ... I’m not going!”

“GABEEEEEEE!” Britney whined.

No! End of discussion!” Gaby firmly replied.

While waiting to board the bus, Britney timidly turned to Gaby.

“Gab...”

No! Now please drop it?” Gaby firmly pleaded.

The bus ride back to their stop was quiet for the two girls. Both Jules and Debbie noticed the lack of interaction between their respective siblings. As soon as they got back in the house, Debbie had to ask the question.

“What’s going on, guys?”

“Gabs say’s she’s not going to the dance!” Britney appealed to her older sister.

“I ... am ... not ... going ... an’ that’s final!” an exasperated Gaby sternly remarked before running up to her room, loudly closing the door behind her.

“Someone talk some sense into her?” Britney pleaded.

“I’ll go talk to her,” Jules calmly replied.

For the last time … I’m not ... oh … it’s you ... I thought you were Brit,” Gaby sharply greeted Jules as she opened the door and climbed the few steps into their shared bedroom.

Gaby was sitting cross-legged on her bed, with her gaze remaining firmly fixed to the wall in front of her. She had darkened the room by pulling the drapes closed, with the small single lamp in the room providing the only illumination.

“Brit’s really upset you don’t wanna go ... from what they said the other night, this dance is pretty important for these kids. What did she call it? Oh, yeah! ... THEE social event of the year.”

“I don’t care! I just wish she’d leave it alone! It’s not like I’m stopping her. What’s so important about me going, anyway?” Gaby solemnly offered.

“Gaby’s gone to dances before … what’s so different about this one?” Jules wondered.

“Maybe because thanks to a certain someone … the whole school knows I’m a ‘lezzie’ and because of that … I’m THEE social outcast of the year and as a social outcast ... why should I go to ‘THEE social event of the year’ if everyone is either going to ignore me or give me a hard time? Either way, all I’ll end up doing is holding up a wall,” Gaby blurted out.

“Deb told me that each girl gets a boy depending on the number of her ticket … so at least you’ll have a partner.”

“Excuse me if the idea of dancing with one of the AHS Neanderthal's doesn’t excite me!” Gaby sarcastically spat out. “ Why’re you agreeing with them? Can’t you see I don’t want to go?"

“I’m not, sis ... but you’ve really got no choice, we have to go ... it’s on our schedule as a school function ... sorry,” Jules reminded her sister. “Now I know this isn’t like you ... so why don’t tell me what’s really wrong?”

“Close the door,” Gaby quietly instructed before taking letting out a deep breath she was unaware of holding.

After Jules closed the door she hurried back and sat on the edge of her sister’s bed, anxious to know what was so upsetting to her.

“I can’t go ... they’re waiting for me,” Gaby quietly revealed.

“Who?”

“Some boys. I only heard them ... I didn’t see them ... but they were talking about me. I think a couple of them are in my homeroom.”

Jules finally started to sense the gravity of the situation and she softly urged her sister to continue after a few deep breaths.

“You’re sure about what they said?”

“Uh huh.”

“Well ... what ‘appened?“

In a hushed voice, Gaby began recounting the overheard conversation.

“When Brit and I were getting ready to leave tonight ... I was getting my stuff out of my locker an’ I heard some boys coming down the hall talking in loud whispers ... all excited like. When they got closer to me I heard one or two trying to tell the others to shut-up ... but at least one kept talking until, I guess … he saw me...”

Despite Gaby’s efforts to remain calm, Jules noticed her dramatically tense up as she tried to tell her story.

“Take a deep breath Gabs … then slowly tell me what you heard,” Jules calmly instructed.

“I ... only heard bits … but I did hear something ‘bout ‘converting the lezzie’ at the dance … making her want a good man.”

“How’d you know they were talking about you?”

“Sis! Didn’t you hear what I just said?” Gaby exclaimed as she raised her voice. “I’m the ‘lezzie’ they’re talking about! That’s why everyone’s been ignoring me!”

“Shhhh … keep your voice down…” Jules hissed.

“An’ … if they discover...” Gaby lamented as Jules held her tightly.

“Let’s not go there. Even with Ellen’s stuff, I'd think that even they'd finally realize that it’s not the ‘real deal’ after...” Jules replied with a shudder. Both were aware of the homophobic attitudes openly displayed by some of the AHS students. “Be right back! Don’t go anywhere!”

Leaving the room, she caught sight of Debbie going into her own room.

“Thought I heard you ... do me a favour, Deb? Quietly ... an’ I don’t want anyone else to know about this right now ... 'specially your mum ... call Jessica for me an’ ask her to come over here an’ talk to Gaby? I think we might have a real problem!” Jules whispered.

“Does it involve Brit? Those two were mighty quiet on the bus,” Debbie quietly asked.

“I don’t think so … but you know your sister better than I do!” Jules replied in a hushed voice.

“That’s the problem ... I do!” Debbie whispered as she went off to her room to make the call and Jules returned to Gaby’s side.

“I really don’t know how I’d cope if you weren’t here with me ...” Gaby’s voice trailed off as she leaned into her sister’s shoulder.

Seemingly after a few minutes, Debbie entered the room following a soft knock on the door frame.

“Guys ... supper.”

“Why so early, Deb?” Jules inquired as both sisters looked at Debbie.

“I guess Mom figured we’d have an early supper so we could get ready for tonight,” Debbie quietly replied. “I think she’s more excited than all of us put together!”

"Hungry, sis?" Jules softly asked as she took Gaby's arm and pulled her up off the bed. "C'mon ... let's go!"

As they slowly headed to the dining room Jules hung back, letting Gaby go out the door first before pulling Debbie aside.

"What about Miss B?" Jules quietly inquired.

"She said she'd be here in about an hour."

As the girls entered the dining room, Jocelyn was just setting the pork chops on the table. After Britney said Grace, the meal began in earnest. Unfortunately for Gaby, Mrs. Walters was intent on discussing the upcoming dance and her attendance. While she answered any questions politely, Gaby was clearly reluctant to participate in the discussion. Several times she tried to change topic but the discussion always returned to the dance.

Even though she loved Jocelyn’s cooking, Gaby only picked at her supper. Finally, she had enough.

“May I be excused?”

“You’ve hardly touched your supper dear. I made this just for you. You kept asking me if we could have them again,” Jocelyn mentioned.

“Sorry ... I guess I’m just not hungry tonight.” With that, Gaby rose from the table and took her dishes to the kitchen then proceeded up to her room. Jules quickly excused herself and followed her sister.

When she was out of earshot, Donald Walters turned to his wife and offered his take on what just happened.

“What is with you Jocelyn? You’ve been badgering that poor girl about this 'ere dance ever since the school announced it ... and it’s very clear to me that she’s not the least bit interested in going. What’s more ... I don’t blame her. If I were her ... I’d rather spend my time getting my bike ready for that race in Atlanta!”

“You would ... you’re a man! Gaby’s a girl and all girls her age love dances. Why, I’ve never met a girl who doesn’t like to dress up … socialize with her friends ... and meet boys! She’s a very pretty girl and all she needs is the right kind of coaxing to bring her out of her shell!” Jocelyn replied with an air of authority on the subject.

Debbie noticed her sister looked just a little bit guilty when her mother mentioned friends and boys.

“Priorities have changed since you were her age. Take a good look around you ... girls aren’t only interested in pretty things and boys anymore. I really wish you’d quit riding the child on what girl’s her age like. She’s her own person with her own likes and dislikes. She’s also a gifted athlete, fer God sakes ... and right now, she’s thinking only of that race and wants nothin’ to do with this dance!” Donald flatly stated as he rose from the table and took his dishes into the kitchen.

Meanwhile, upstairs Jules sat on Gabs’ bed waiting for Jessica and silently rocking her upset sister in her arms.

“Everything will be okay, sis. Focus on the weekend and the fun you’ll be having with your friends,” Jules softly whispered into Gaby’s ear.

(Ding, Dong...)

“Oh, hello Jessica ... and Maddy ... isn’t it? What brings you here? Jocelyn asked when she answered the door.

Just as Jessica was going to answer, Debbie walked through the living room towards the front door. “It’s okay Mom … I asked Miss Bell to come by. They’re upstairs ... I’ll show you.”

With that, Jessica removed her boots and started for the stairs, letting Debbie lead the way. As she put her foot on the bottom step, Jessica turned and flatly told Maddy to stay downstairs.

Jessica’s instruction came as a bit of a shock to her, it never occurred to her that she might be excluded from anything involving her cousin.

Jocelyn was also taken aback by the abruptness of Jessica’s departure with Debbie, without even a word of explanation from either of them. Through it all, she still urged Britney to get ready for the dance, fully expecting the other three would soon be doing the same.

After Jessica entered the room, Debbie followed her in and quietly closed the door. First thing Miss Bell saw when she looked around the room was Jules sitting on Gaby’s bed, cuddling her sister.

“Gaby? Deb sounded upset when she called me. Mind telling me what’s going on?” Miss Bell softly asked.

“Deb called?” a surprised Gaby asked.

“Uhhh … Jules asked me to call,” Debbie quickly confessed.

“Okay … now that we’ve got that settled … what’s going on?” Jessica calmly asked.

“I’m … not going to the dance,” Gaby slowly replied while staring at her sister.

“It’s listed as a school function for the exchange students, Gaby ... and as such, you’re required to go unless you have a good reason,” Jessica quietly replied. “Now ... is there a reason you don’t want to go?”

“Miss ... she was threatened if she showed up!” Jules piped up catching both Jessica and Debbie by surprise.

“Gaby?” Debbie called out as she quickly turned her attention to the younger girl.

“By your reaction, I assume that this is the first you’ve heard of this? Debbie was in shock as she nodded her head.

“Your parents don’t know either … do they?” Jessica asked as she turned to face Jules’ host.

“I ... I...” Debbie stammered, before Jules quickly interrupted.

“No one knows, Miss ... just us! If Mrs. W were told … she’d have to know a few things about Gaby as well … an’ I don’t think anyone wants that,” Jules hurriedly pointed out.

“Quite right!” Jessica softly agreed.

Standing beside Gaby’s bedside, Jessica hiked the hem of her dress slightly and knelt down beside her.

“Is this true, hun?” Jessica asked in a soothing voice. Gaby looked down at the duvet on the bed and slowly nodded.

“Tell me what happened. Do you know who threatened you?”

Gaby quietly repeated the story that she told Jules. She also told Miss Bell the conversation she and Britney had with their homeroom teacher, more to confirm the wide-spread knowledge of her orientation than anything.

“Any idea who they were? I know you said you kept looking in your locker …but … did you happen to see them at any time?” Miss Bell pressed.

“Kinda … I did look at them as they went down the corridor an’ I think two of them are in my homeroom. I mostly saw their backs an’ they had their jackets on ... but I recognized two of the jackets ... an’ I’ve seen at least one of the others hanging around with them,” Gaby explained.

“Can you tell me their names or describe them?” a very concerned Jessica asked.

Gaby told Miss Bell what she thought their names were, followed by a pretty fair physical description of each. Jessica developed a worried look on her face as the information was given to her.

“If these are the boys I think they are ... they can be bad news. Even if it is only an unsubstantiated threat, I think you’ve made a wise choice to stay away. A school dance isn’t worth it.”

“Miss ... is it okay if I stay with my sister?” Jules quietly asked.

Before Jessica could reply, Debbie spoke up, “If Jules stays ... I’m staying ... with both of them!”

“Of course,” Jessica replied as she stood up. “I’m glad you girls told me.”

“Well … I’d better go downstairs and get to the school ... unless there’s anything you’d like to add, Gaby. I have one teenage girl who’s probably wondering if she’ll ever get to the dance and a principal who’s probably frantic wondering where I am,” Jessica conveyed with a smile.

As they all left the bedroom and started to descend the stairs, Jocelyn was visibly disappointed when the girls appeared showing no signs of having dressed for the dance. Britney’s expression conveyed her impatience with the other three. She was hoping they all could leave when the three of them came downstairs.

Briefly glancing at her cousin, Gaby inwardly smiled as she noticed the same frustration etched on Maddy’s face.

“Girls! Go back upstairs and get ready! Britney’s ready to go and she’s been down here patiently waiting for you all this time!” Mrs. Walters instructed.

“We’re not going, Mom...” Debbie calmly replied.

“What do you mean you’re not going? Of course you’re going ... that’s all you’ve talked about all week!” an exasperated Jocelyn countered.

“More like that’s all you’ve talked about all week,” Gaby thought.

Before Jocelyn could say anything else to the three girls, Jessica stepped in.

“Britney ... I know the dance is mandatory for all the students in the exchange program … but … under the circumstances ... I have to agree with Debbie. I think it would be far better for all concerned if they didn’t attend the dance and as Gaby’s host … I’m offering you the option ... go or stay?”

“I know you’ve a question or two Mrs. Walters … but I’m not really at liberty to divulge what we discussed ... not at this time.”

Turning her attention back to the girls, Jessica also told the girls not to talk about it until they looked into the matter further. Although she knew it was unnecessary to tell the three girls, she knew if she gave them those instructions in Jocelyn’s presence it would dampen her well-known curiosity.

“I understand you’ve been looking forward to this dance for a long time, Britney … but I need to know if you’re not going so I can properly inform Miss Cowlishaw,” Jessica urged.

Maddy was clearly crestfallen that she wouldn’t have Gaby at the dance, but again, she wasn’t in any position to object. After giving it some thought, Britney reluctantly decided to stay.

As Jessica started to walk to the door, she asked Maddy to wait in the car and then hesitated before turning back to face the Walters.

“Britney? Mind if I ask you a question in private? It’s related to what the girls and I talked about, upstairs.”

Britney nodded in agreement and the two stepped out into the cool night air and onto the porch. Once Jessica was sure they were out of earshot, she turned to the teen and spoke quietly.

“I didn’t think you’d want your mom to hear this right now … but … may I ask why you were so intent on getting Gaby to attend the dance? I know you’re aware of who she’s attracted to and the possible reactions of a number of your friends and classmates ... not to mention the little matter of ... Drew!”

When Britney hung her head and didn’t immediately answer, Jessica whispered a parting thought.

“It’s okay, dear ... you don’t have to answer ... for now.”

Britney solemnly watched Miss Bell step off the porch and walk to her car, before going back into the house.

As they pulled out of the Walter’s driveway, Maddy turned to Jessica.

“What happened? Why’s Gaby not coming?”

“You heard what I said back there about discussing it,” Jessica flatly stated.

She briefly noticed the disappointed look on Maddy’s face before putting the car in gear and heading off to the school.

Back inside the house, Britney found the others helping Gaby pack and prepare for her trip to Atlanta the following morning. By the time she’d changed and joined the others, they had finished and had just settled down for a quiet evening of ‘girl talk’ up in the bedroom shared by Jules and Gaby.

“I really want to thank you guys for staying with me tonight.” Gaby later told them as she gave all three a big hug. “But … if you guys don’t mind. It’s getting late an’ Erin wants everyone down at the store early to get everything packed up and ready to go by eight-thirty, nine at the latest.”

“Off to bed, sis?” Jules knowingly asked.

“Big day tomorrow...” Gaby playfully replied.

“Well ... if we don’t see you before you leave … have a great weekend!” Debbie excitedly stated. Both the Walters girls bade good night as they exited the room, while Jules hung back at her sister’s urging.

“Thank you, Jules!” Gaby whispered as she tightly hugged her sister.

“For what?”

“Just ... for being here,” Gabs softly replied and gave her sister a final squeeze before letting her join Debbie and Britney, downstairs.

 
 
Comments are gratefully appreciated


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This story continues to...

Look at the potential Darker Side of Drew's trip to the US... I'm finding it fascinating.

Thanks,

Annette