All Things Denied 3 - 'DC Arrival'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 3 - 'DC Arrival'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 3
 

“Gaby … sweetheart … time to get up!” Dave softly shook his slumbering daughter until she opened her eyes and saw her father towering above her. “Sh-h-h-h … quiet … your Mum’s still asleep!”

“Isn’t she coming with us?” Gaby whispered.

“She is … but I’m going to let her sleep as long as she can. I’ll get her up only when I have too … we can always eat after we see you kids off … before I forget … Jules told me to let you know she’s done in the bathroom.” Dave replied. “If your case is packed, I’ll take it down with me.”

“Just have to throw this nightdress in. I’ll leave my case in the hall in a few minutes,” Gaby mentioned.

Once Dave left her room, she removed the full-length blue silk nightdress her mum had given her when they were in Dorset and neatly packed it, just like Jules showed her. The three girls were all showered and dressed in short order. Gaby also remembered to give Jules her bag to pack in her suitcase, before Dave took it downstairs. They even found time for a quick tea while he finished loading the van.

Relax, Gabs! With your jacket on, no one will see anyone other than Drew,” Jules reassured Gaby as they sat at the table.

“What if I take my jacket off for some reason?” Gaby shot back.

“Keep your sweatshirt bunched and loose ... don’t pull it down,” Maddy offered.

“An’ keep that necklace tucked inside … certainly until Gaby appears, anyway!” Jules cautioned while nodding towards Gaby’s jewellery .

Drew’ll have to be around until we’ve gone through American immigration … then I’ll give you your bag before we get on the coach in Washington and Gaby can arrive in Grottoes!” Gaby wasn’t too sure just who her sister was trying to reassure by restating the plan.

Dave entered the kitchen a little bit later and told the girls to head out to the van as soon as they finished their tea. While he was taking Gaby’s case out, they put their coats on and filed outside.

“It’s unlocked. You girls wait in the van while I go see what’s keeping your mother,” Dave quietly instructed for fear of waking the neighbours.

A short time later the elder Bond’s came out of the house and as they entered the van, Jenny first noticed Drew sitting in the back.

(YAWN) “Morning, girls … Drew. Excited to be finally going?” Jenny greeted as she got into the front seat beside Dave.

All three greeted Jenny and politely responded to her question with a ‘yes’, even if the response from Jules and Gaby was a little less than enthusiastic. If Jenny detected their tone of voice, she ignored it and tried to be cheerful herself.

As Dave backed the van out of their close, Jules leaned over and whispered to Gaby, “See? If Mum saw Drew… so’ll everyone else!”
Gaby smiled back and started to think that their plan might work.

They pulled into the Warsop College car park a little after 6AM and immediately headed for the small gathering of cars and people at the far end. The coach hadn’t arrived yet, but both escorts were busy checking the kids in as they pulled up with their parents. As the girls emerged from the van, Dave unloaded their luggage and took it to the makeshift assembly area that had been set up. Mr. Pilling was busy tagging the luggage as it arrived. Gaby introduced her mum to Miss Cowlishaw and soon the three were engrossed in conversation. Jules and Maddy joined the other kids and tried to keep warm and awake in the cool early morning air. While Mr. Pilling watched the luggage, Dave returned to join his wife and Gaby, who were still deep in conversation with the young teacher. Finally the hired coach appeared and Mr. Pilling helped the driver with the loading of the luggage while the kids dispersed to rejoin their parents for family farewells. After a while, it soon became obvious to Jules that they were the last to board the coach.

“We really have to go, Mum … Miss C is waiting for us to get on so we can leave,” Jules reluctantly observed.

“I know, dear. Take care, you two!” Jenny pulled both girls into a hug that she only released when Dave put his hands on her shoulders.

“They really do have to go, luv. The coach is waiting,” Dave quietly pointed out.

“I love you guys … make me proud!” Jenny enthused. She was trying hard to keep it together.

“We will,” Jules replied.

‘Look after your brother … won’t you, Jules?” Jenny asked as she offered her outstretched arms to her oldest.

“I will Mum … (sniff) I promise!” Jules tearfully replied as she threw herself at her mum. On the verge of completely loosing it, she whispered, “I love you Mum!”

Before it got completely out of hand, Dave gave both girls a quick hug and steered them towards the waiting coach.

“I'll call each night and keep you informed on your Mum’s condition … okay?” he whispered once they were out of Jenny’s earshot.

“If the worst happens … I promise … I’ll get you girls back here before…”

“Thanks Daddy,” Gaby replied while putting on a brave face as they got closer to the bus.

With each step, the painful reality of the situation became increasingly obvious to both girls, Gaby in particular. By the time they reached the coach, Jules had her arm around Gaby’s shoulder. As both girls got on board and proceeded down the aisle, Jules quickly found an empty seat beside Justine, another girl from her form while Gaby continued on towards some of the ‘gang’.

She just started to sit in the seat Maddy had saved for her, when Mr. Pilling started to speak, “Now that we're all here…”

The thinly veiled sarcasm in his voice caused Gaby, Jules and Miss Cowlishaw to quickly turn their heads and glare at him, leaving him with a very uncomfortable feeling.

He hesitatingly continued by saying, “...Mr. Woods has a few words.”

As Mr. Pilling sat down beside Miss Cowlishaw, she hissed at him, “You naturally that insensitive ... or do you have to work at it?”

He looked at her with a blank stare but he knew that he hadn’t heard the last of ‘it’, whatever ‘it’ was.

“Thanks Mr Pilling. I'll keep this short as I want to get back to bed.” He paused for effect and got a few giggles for his troubles. “I've said this before but I'll repeat it again…”

As Mr. Woods started to speak, Gaby made herself comfortable in the upholstered seat. Throughout the Headmaster’s short address, Maddy noticed her girlfriend was pre-occupied with other matters and listening to Mr. Woods drone on about something, didn’t appear to be one of them! Once Gaby was settled, Maddy took hold of her cousin’s hand and leaning over to her, softly spoke in her ear.

“Auntie Jen’s a strong woman, Gabs … it’ll work out … she’ll beat this cancer thing … an’ she’ll be back at the school to meet us … I know she will!”
As Gaby looked up at her face, she saw tear tracks down Maddy’s cheeks.

Both girls were brought out of their thoughts by a small round of applause by the other kids. Whatever Mr. Woods said, he was obviously finished. After a quick word with Miss Cowlishaw and Mr. Pilling, he stepped off the coach and the kids all turned their attentions to waving at family members and anyone else in the car park at that hour!

The door hissed closed and they started on their way to Manchester and their transatlantic flight to Washington. Gaby tearfully watched as her mum and dad waved until the bus turned on to the main road and drove out of sight. “Bye Mum.”

Knowing the family situation, Miss Cowlishaw kept a close watch on the two Bond girls as they fell silent once the bus left the school.

The trip to the airport at Manchester turned out to be a very quiet one. Except for the occasional muted conversation, the majority of the kids had decided to get some additional sleep. Gaby spent most of this part of the trip with her head on Maddy’s shoulder, tightly holding her girlfriend’s hand and trying her best to hold back the tears.

As they neared their destination, Miss Cowlishaw leaned over in her seat to address Mr. Pilling who was sitting beside her and in a quiet but stern voice, she raised the issue of his earlier faus pax.

"Apparently you weren’t listening when I told you about Mrs. Bond earlier this week! You realize that may have possibly been the last time those two will see their mum alive? That little remark you made when the Bond girls boarded, was totally ‘un-called for’ and I should think a bit more sensitivity to their situation on your part would certainly be in order! In the future … I would strongly suggest that when dealing with Jules or Gaby … especially Gaby … it would serve you well to keep that in mind!”

“Sorry … it slipped my mind … won’t happen again … promise,” Mr. Pilling quietly replied.

“See that it doesn’t!” Fran admonished as she sat back in her seat as the coach entered the airport property.

Upon arrival at the departure terminal, the coach driver flicked on the internal lights and Mr. Pilling rose from his seat to coax the sleeping students to return to the land of the living.

“Okay people! Listen up! Our driver’s unloading our luggage now … so after I finish … everyone will file off the bus … claim their luggage and re-assemble beside Miss Cowlishaw, just inside the main entrance. We’ll then check-in and go through security ... before we get some breakfast … assuming anyone’s still interested.”
As they rose from their seats to exit the coach, Mr. Pilling stopped in the door and turned to face the kids.

“Remember! You’re representing Warsop College … even if you’re not wearing your uniforms … so … act accordingly!” he firmly cautioned. He then turned and exited the coach, allowing the students to get off and claim their luggage.

As they filtered from the drop-off point to inside the terminal, the ‘gang’ drifted together near Miss Cowlishaw. With the last few entering the building, she turned to look at Rhod and Drew. Fran wasn’t as concerned about Gaby as her choice of attire at least ensured she looked like her passport. On the other hand, Rhod looked more like Em than Fran would’ve liked to have seen even though he was dressed androgynously like Gaby. She made a mental note to stay close to these two whenever they had to present their passports, especially Rhod.

“People! It may only be one building … but we’ve got some hiking to do before we get to where we’re supposed to be. Now let’s get going. The faster we get squared away, the faster we can get some food!” Mr. Pilling urged as he indicated the three porters standing nearby, with their luggage trolleys at the ready.

The group of twelve stood by while their luggage was loaded onto the carts and then with a word from Miss Cowlishaw, the procession headed off in the direction of the British Midland’s check-in counter. Once at the counter, the party was checked in with no apparent problems, but at immigration, it was another matter. Julia, a senior, was taken aside and questioned. Her bag was emptied by Security because she had a pair of nail scissors and they were considered a possible weapon. Miss Cowlishaw quickly intervened and sometime later they both joined the rest of the group in the departure lounge.

“Sorry I wasn’t able to speak to you earlier but how did you two make out with immigration? Rhod … I noticed the officer hesitated a bit while looking at your passport.
Are you okay?” The ‘gang’ clearly heard the concern in Fran’s voice. “I started to come over, but I saw he let you through before I could get there.”

“He kept looking at my passport and then at me,” Rhod admitted.

“Maybe it’s because he thought he saw Em,” Ally suggested indicating Rhod’s appearance. The others in the ‘gang’ tactfully agreed with Ally.

“I thought you wanted Em to arrive in America … an’ this is all she had that looked like boy’s things!” Rhod whined.

“Sh-h-h-h-h … please calm down, dear. You look fine ... but I’ll be close by when we get to Washington, just in case … okay?” Fran offered in a quiet soothing voice.
“You have any problems, Drew?”

“Nope! He just looked at the photo, then looked at me ... an’ told me to move on.”

Miss Cowlishaw took on a look of relief when everyone was finally reassembled and discussions about food had begun.

“We’ve got through the first hurdle … hopefully US immigration will be less nerve racking.”

"Okay … now that they’ve decided we can leave the country … who's for breakfast?" Mr Pilling inquired.

As the group was herded down the length of the secured departure area by the escorts in their quest for a cafeteria, the students became aware of the armed police presence and initially were taken aback.

“It’s unfortunate that it’s become another sign of the times, kids...” Mr. Pilling quietly offered as they continued walking.

They soon found a cafeteria that everyone agreed upon. Upset as Gaby was about leaving her mum, Jules noticed that she had no problem putting away a ‘full English’, proof that a bit of her brother was still buried inside Gaby. Something about that single thought sent a warm comforting feeling through her as she smiled to herself. After everyone finished, it was announced that they still had over an hour to kill, before their 11AM boarding. As they paused to allow Mr. Pilling to grab a morning paper, Jules took the opportunity to pull Gaby into a hug.

“What’s that for, sis?” Gaby softly asked as her sister held her.

(sniff) “I dunno … I just felt I had to,” Jules whispered.

The two released each other upon Mr. Pilling’s return to the waiting group. As they started walking and exploring the window displays of the various retailers, Miss Cowlishaw approached the two Bond girls.

“You two okay?” she inquired.

“I … think so … Miss,” Jules hesitatingly replied.

“Okay … but I’m always here if you want to talk,” Fran softly replied as the three walked along behind the others.

They quickly caught up to the rest as Maddy continued to lead the group on a window shopping expedition on the way to their departure gate. When they arrived and found places to sit, Bernie produced a pack of cards and an impromptu game of Pontoon amongst the ‘gang’ sprung up, but quickly involved all ten kids while the two escorts looked on.

"All passengers for BMI flight 613 … non stop to Washington … please proceed to gate 6."

"Come on, kids! … That's us!" Miss Cowlishaw enthused upon hearing the PA announcement.

"Eleven already?" Rhod asked as he put down his cards.

"Actually, they're a bit late calling the flight … it’s ten past,” Fran replied with a quick check of her watch.

“Miss? How long is the flight?” Ally asked.

“About eight hours … maybe nine … depending on headwinds,” Miss Cowlishaw answered.

They gathered all their stuff and joined the queue slowly inching itself towards the last pre-flight hurdle, the boarding desk.

"All passengers for BMI flight 613 … non stop to Washington … please proceed to gate 6."

The announcement repeated again as they shuffled towards the desk, boarding cards and passports in hand.

Fran looked around and noticed both Rhod and Ally looked a bit apprehensive so she fell back in line to join them. Gaby and a couple of the others got separated from the main group as the line shuffled it’s way closer to the desk, but once through, they quickly found them waiting in the boarding tunnel. Once everyone was back together, they made their way as one, down the ramp and into the waiting airliner.

"Row 26, seat A, next to the window" the stewardess confirmed as she checked Gaby’s boarding stub when she entered the cabin.

As Gaby and Maddy inched towards their seats, they soon joined the mêlée for overhead locker space before settling down for the long flight. Being the experienced flyer she was, Gaby quickly removed her CD player and a few CD’s and then put her small flight bag, containing all the basics she’d require later - the New Year’s copy of the Comic, a new Pratchett novel and a bag of toffees – under her seat.

They were already well over the Atlantic, when Gaby opened her eyes and mechanically started to change the CD in her player. As she closed the case and her eyes, she resumed thinking about her mum and reliving the good times they had together, before and after she signed to turn professional. She also recalled her mum’s acceptance of Gaby over the last couple of years and how much she wished for the day she could tell her mum that she always did have two daughters.

The flight soon became a boring routine of watching in-flight movies, reading a good book, listening to CD’s or thinking – that and eating. It was after dinner had long been served when Gaby was gently roused from a nap.

“Thinking of your Mum in happier times?” Gaby opened her eyes when she heard Miss Cowlishaw's voice.

“Ummm … yes … Miss?” a confused Gaby replied.

“She'll be okay … she's tough, your Mum is.”

“How’d you know I was thinking ‘bout her?” Gaby asked.

“It’s the first time I’ve seen you smile today,” Fran softly replied and then indicating Maddy’s vacant seat, she asked, “Alright if I sit here a while and talk?”

“Yeah … Maddy’s gone off to see the others. Miss … why?” Gaby replied.

As she slid into Maddy’s seat, in almost a whisper Miss Cowlishaw quietly replied, “I don't know Gaby.”

“She's never hurt anyone and she's hardly ever sick,” Gaby argued.

“I haven't any answers dear … and nothing I say can make it go away … but if it’ll help to talk … I do know how you feel. My Mum had cancer,” Fran admitted.

Did … did … she die?” Gaby quietly asked.

“No she's still very much alive. They caught it early and were able to operate straight away.”

“Mum's (sniff) … dying … but Dad said something about an operation. That (sniff) means there’s a chance isn't there?” Gaby hopefully asked.

“Maybe they're wrong … an’ she's not gonna die in a couple of months?” Fran could see that Gaby was desperately reaching out.

“You keep believing that and think positive. It won't do your Mum any good if she sees you and Jules are miserable. She needs all the help and moral support she can get right now!”

“We shouldn't be here … we should be at home with her!” Gaby tearfully stated.

“I spoke to your mum before we left and I know you're here because she wanted both you and your sister to be here … and to have this experience! Believe me, it’ll help her much more if she knows that you're having a good time here instead of having you two mope around at home.” Fran lectured.

“But…” Gaby started to reply.

“But nothing, Gaby! She needs all of you … you … your sister ... and your father … to be positive and up-beat right now! The better you all feel, the better she’ll feel … an’ that can do nothing but help her,” Fran admonished her young student, in a hushed tone.

“I s'pose you're right Miss,” Gaby sheepishly replied.

“You know I am! Now … I'm gonna have to check on everyone else … but remember … if you need to talk you can come to me anytime … okay?”

“Yes, Miss ... thank you,” Gaby replied.

As she rose out of the seat Gaby weakly asked, “Miss?”

“Gaby?” Miss Cowlishaw quietly responded.

“Does anyone else know? About Mum … I mean,” Gaby whispered.

“No … not unless you or Jules have said anything. Mr Pilling and I won't say anything unless you want us to … with one exception. I’ll have to inform Miss Bell so she’ll know what to expect … just in case … but that’s as far as it’ll go … I promise!” Fran replied assuring Gaby it was still a family secret.

“I understand. Thanks, Miss...” Gaby acknowledged.

“I'll leave you to it for now …eh?” Fran quietly mentioned as she gently touched Gaby’s shoulder before starting to walk to where some of the others were sitting.

“Looks like Maddy's heading back. Now remember … anytime ... okay?”

As she walked away, Gaby smiled as she heard Miss Cowlishaw mumbling to herself. “Why they put us all over this bloody airplane, I’ll never know!”

As Maddy found her way back to her seat, Gaby closed her eyes and tried to pretend to be asleep. When she sat back down, Maddy easily saw through her girlfriend’s deception and leaned over, kissing her gently on the lips.

“I love you, Gaby Bond!” Maddy whispered.

Gaby replied by silently mouthing the words “I love you”, while gently squeezing Maddy’s hand. As much as the seats would allow, the two girls snuggled together. When Gaby threatened to drift off to sleep, Maddy closed her eyes and laid her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. Much later, the pair were abruptly awakened from an after-lunch nap by the sound of the cabin intercom.

‘Bong! Good afternoon ladies and gentleman, we hope you've had a pleasant flight with us today. We’ll shortly be starting our final approach into Washington where the local time is just coming up to 3PM. The weather is currently clear and sunny with an air temperature of one degree Celsius or thirty-four Fahrenheit. So wrap up warm! Thank you for flying British Midland, we hope you’ll join us again soon.'

The announcement ended and the seat belt light came on. The pilot applied the thrust-reverses as soon the plane touched the runway and after sufficiently slowing down, they turned onto a taxiway and headed for the main terminal.

“Welcome to Dulles International Airport Washington DC where the local time is now a quarter after three..."

The cabin attendant issued her final farewell message as the aircraft crawled up to the boarding ramp. Shortly after the engines shut down, the cabin crew had the doors opened and people were starting to de-plane. Forty minutes later the entire group was through security and were queuing at immigration. Apart from more odd looks at Rhod, nothing unexpected happened and they all emerged unscathed. As they made their way to the baggage collection area, the kids couldn’t help but notice armed security in the form of State police and even some National Guardsmen. Coupled with the humourless attitudes of the various airport and immigration officials, it was a bit intimidating to the new arrivals.

Eventually, they emerged from ‘officialdom’ and collected their luggage. Both escorts were amazed that none of it was ‘lost’.

"Hey guys! Lookit the ads an’ stuff … just like back ‘ome!” Rhod exclaimed.

“They put them up just for you guys … so’s you don’t go feeling homesick!” Jules quipped as she quickly walked past the ‘gang’.

“Really? That’s awfully nic…” Rhod started to reply before he caught what Jules had really said. Ally and the others burst out laughing as Rhod turned several shades of red.

“People!” Mr Pilling once more called for their attention, “Do not wander off! I need to make a phone call then we'll go find our transport … okay?”

“Yes sir,” a few voices chorused.

As soon as Gaby chose to sit on her luggage, Jules came up to her and handed her Gaby’s bag. Nodding towards a sign indicating public restrooms, she quietly suggested, “Better pop in there and fix yourself, sis … while Mr. P is busy … an’ make sure you use the ladies!”

“Thanks … be out in a mo’. Watch my luggage!” Gaby replied as she started off towards the women’s restroom. A short time later she returned and again sat on her luggage, watching the people go by.

“You okay Gaby?” Miss Cowlishaw asked, causing Gaby to jump. “Sorry … didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Ummm … that’s okay Miss. I’m okay … thanks,” Gaby quietly replied.

“Feel better now that Gaby’s here?” Fran playfully asked while trying to engage the girl in some conversation.

“Uh huh.”

“I understand you’ve travelled a fair bit. This isn’t that different to any other airport, is it?

“I guess not.” Fran could see that Gaby’s mind was still back in Warsop and her mum.

“Still thinking about your Mum?” Without waiting for an answer, Fran pulled up her own luggage and joined her charge on the improvised chairs. Gaby turned to face her and slowly nodded in response to her question.

“Tell you what. Give her a call while we wait for Mr Pilling to return. Here … use my phone. Hit speed dial, seven.” Fran softly suggested as she handed her cell phone to Gaby. “All your home numbers are already programmed.”

“Thanks, Miss!” Gaby smiled as she took the offered cell and started to dial.

After several rings, Gaby heard a welcome voice. After talking for a few minutes, she handed the mobile back to Miss Cowlishaw.

“Thanks, Miss. I guess I needed to hear my Dad,” Gaby quietly commented.

“Everything okay with your Mum?” Fran asked.

“She’s asleep. Dad said it’s been a long day for her,” Gaby replied.

“How’s your Dad holding up?”

“Tired … scared … I guess not knowing what’s gonna happen next is…” Gaby mumbled.

“Well, it’s good she’s sleeping … isn’t it?” Fran asked. “Come on … up we get. I can see Mr Pilling is on his way back.”

“Okay, ladies and gentlemen ...” Mr Pilling announced, “I've just spoken to Miss Bell and she'll be here with our transport in about twenty minutes. In the meantime, I suggest you all make use of the facilities and then we'll go over to the pick up area … questions?”

The resulting silence was deafening.

“Good! Off you go, then ... back here in ten!”

Leaving Mr Pilling in charge of the luggage, the group quickly dispersed to the offered facilities. It was a half hour later when a small yellow school bus rolled up to the curbside at the arrivals.

“John! … Fran!” Miss Bell excitedly greeted the two escorts as she stepped off the bus.

“Hi Jess!” Fran cheerfully called back as Mr. Pilling started directing the kids to take their luggage up to the bus.

“Hi, kids. Sorry we’re late but there was a bit of a pile up on the Interstate … traffic backed up for miles!” Miss Bell explained.

“You planning on loading up or just standing here and freezing our butts off?” a tall middle-aged man abruptly asked as he approached the three teachers.

“Sorry guys … and this pleasant soul is George Wentworth … our driver,” Miss Bell said as she introduced George.

“Nice to meet you George … John Pilling.” George and Mr. Pilling then shook hands.

“Then by process of elimination … this fair young lady must be Miss Cowl-e-shaw. Jess’ been going on about you all the way up here!”

George bowed ever so slightly and like a scene from ‘Gone with the Wind’, gallantly kissed the back of her hand. Unfortunately, all ten teenagers clearly saw her blush a deep shade of red.

“Now, George … give Fran back her hand and let’s see about getting these folks on the bus and out of the cold,” Miss Bell joked, completely shattering the moment.

“Sure Jess … c’mon, kids. When I open this here door … hand me them cases … they should all fit in!”

He hopped back onto the bus and walked towards the rear emergency exit. Once the door was opened a couple of the senior boys took it upon themselves to pass everyone’s luggage up to him.

“Get yourselves on board” Miss Bell instructed, “We'll leave as soon as George secures your luggage in back.”

“Gaby? I thought you told me in Warsop that I’d see Drew in America,” a surprised Jessica very quietly stated as the teenager stood beside her, while waiting to get on the school bus.

Gaby had avoided eye contact, but was about to answer when Miss Cowlishaw softly told her to get on the bus.

“We’ve got to talk, Jess … but not with the others around,” Fran whispered as she passed Jessica a folded piece of paper. “Read it … but I need it back. It’s not the kind of thing you’d like to have copies of, floating around.”

Once on the bus, Gaby couldn’t help but notice the stereotypical American school bus seating. Compared to the coaches they had for trips back at Warsop College, the plastic seating looked very uncomfortable for anything but a short ride. As she found a seat beside a very cute Em, she noted that by the look on her friends face, she was having the same thoughts about the seating.

“How far is it?” Em whispered.

“Too far! I think it’s about 145 miles ... if Yahoo maps is right!” Gaby hissed.

“How far’s that in kilometres?” wondered Em.

Overhearing their muted conversation, Bernie turned in her seat and offered, “That’s 232 kilometres! See?” Bernie raised her mobile.

“Bummer!” Em breathed.

“You're not kidding,” Gaby quietly agreed.

Miss Bell closed the door behind her and as she stood up at the front of the bus facing the British exchange students, she began to address the group.
“Well … welcome to America everyone! It's good to see you all again. George wants to clear Washington before rush hour but once we’re on the Interstate … it should be approximately two and a half hours. We plan to stop once or twice for a ‘pit stop’ along the way ... okay with you guys?”

After Jessica surveyed the young faces of her British guests, she turned and nodded toward George.

“Okay then … let’s hit the road!” Jessica enthused and upon hearing his cue, George put the school bus in gear.

She took her seat next to Fran and discreetly took the paper from her purse and began reading. Having finished, she slowly turned and looked at her friend with a disbelieving look.

“This is a joke … right?” she whispered as she returned the folded paper.

“Nope! Also … you have to remember the only one’s here that know of this are John, myself … you … Jules … and Gaby ... and that’s how those two girls want to keep it … unless they say otherwise. As far as the rest of the Sherwood Foresters think ... she’s still a boy named pretending to be a girl called Gaby,” Fran cautioned. “The older kids have only met her today and see her only as a young girl who apparently answers to either Drew or Gaby.”

“You mean, none of Gaby’s friends know?” Jessica questioned.

“Uh uh … and on top of that … their mother has advanced cervical cancer!” Fran replied in hushed tones.

“Oh, those poor girls!” Jessica uttered under her breath.

“Mr. Bond’s already warned us that we might be sending the three girls … that’s Gaby, Jules … and Maddy … home … on very short notice!” Fran quietly related.

“Why are they even here?” Jessica whispered.

“If it was up to Jules and Gaby ... they’d be back home ... but their mum insisted they come on the trip, like planned...” Fran explained in an almost whisper. “...And after talking with Mrs. Bond ... I agree with the girls ... any arguing would’ve been futile.”

“That kind of explains Gaby’s reaction when I tried to talk to her earlier. Life’s really not fair … is it?” Jessica hissed.

Despite the early start and the shift in time zones, the kids found themselves staring out the windows of the bus as they wound their way out of Washington. When the bus finally warmed up, Gaby took her coat off and folded it up to sit upon, thus providing extra padding for her seat. Em soon followed suit and the idea quickly spread amongst the others in the ‘gang’. After that, it was much easier to ‘enjoy’ their ride. Once they hit the Interstate, they found the traffic was rather light and Gaby was impressed at their progress as well as the scenery. In just under the estimated two and a half hours, George turned off the highway and pulled into a roadside restaurant named “Prue’s”.

“Okay people!” Fran rose from her seat and stood up in the aisle, raising her voice just enough to be heard over all the excitement. “I know it’s been a long day but we’re finally here … Grottoes, Virginia!”

“Yay!” someone called.

“Quiet!” Mr. Pilling shot back.

“Now, I’ve been told that they've got a little reception arranged in this place and strangely enough ... we’re a little ahead of schedule (prompting George to take a little bow). Miss Bell is ringing all your host’s right now to let them know we're here … so for now just collect your cases and go on inside.” As Miss Cowlishaw was speaking, she looked down the bus and met Gaby’s blank stare.

“Everyone okay?” Fran asked as a silence befell the bus.

“Yes Miss!” everyone chorused.

“Up and at ‘em then!” Miss Cowlishaw enthused.

As the kids entered Prue’s, the staff warmly welcomed them. It was apparent that they were set to cater a full-sized buffet reception for the exchange students. George left with the bus as the tired students soon started to collapse into the scattered lounge chairs to await the arrival of their hosts. A few minutes later the first of the host families started to arrive. Gaby found it really strange to see people she knew again but in this strange place and with a whole bunch of other people she didn't know. After some crowd searching, she spotted the Walters sisters coming in the door and soon she and Jules were renewing their friendship with Debbie and Britney.

“Mom … Dad … this is Jules and Gaby,” Britney started the introductions with a wink to Gaby. “Guys … these are our parents!”

“The girls have never stopped talking about you two and all your friends. Welcome to Grottoes!” Mrs Walters remarked.

“Umm … thank you … Mrs. Walters,” Gaby replied.

“Excuse me ... Gaby? Britney ... didn’t you tell me her name was Drew?” Mrs. Walters asked her daughter.

“Ummm.”

It is … kinda,” Gaby admitted, taking the pressure off Britney. “That’s my middle name. My given name is Gabrielle ... Gaby … for short.”

“In that case, do you prefer we call you Gaby … Gabrielle or Drew?” Mrs. Walters inquired.

“I’ll answer to all three ... but... I prefer Gaby,” Gaby quietly replied.

“Then Gaby it is,” Mrs. Walters decisively confirmed.

“I've converted part of the attic into a large bedroom and you two will be the first to occupy it,” Mr Walters mentioned with some pride as he attempted to enlighten the girls about the sleeping arrangements.

“It’s to be Debbie’s room after you return to England.”

“C’mon Gabs … Sab's over here!” Britney exclaimed while dragging Gaby away from the senior Walters, leaving Debbie and Jules to make their own exit.

“Brit?” Gaby asked in all seriousness.

“Uh huh…” Britney halted in her tracks, sounding as if she expected Gaby to explode. “I can explain that bit about you and Jules sharing a roo…”

“Over here!” Gaby grabbed Britney’s hand and quickly pulled her to a relatively secluded spot in the restaurant’s lobby.

“Look … Jules and I already know that you didn’t tell your ‘rents. Didn’t you even once wonder why Gaby showed up … boobs, make-up an’ all?”

“With all the excitement … it didn’t occur to me,” Britney softly admitted.

Gaby quietly explained, “Truth is … when Jules talked to your sister the other night, she told us everything. I just wanted to let you know that it’s okay. I’m Gaby 24/7 while I’m here … an’ besides … Miss Bell entered the Sherwood Foresters into some cheer competition … so we figured since Gaby has to be seen around school and practices...”

Upon hearing the news, a relieved Britney threw her arms around Gaby’s neck and hugged her for all she was worth.

“Hi guys!” Sabrina beamed as she and Maddy approached the two. “This is so cool … you guys being here!”

“...Gabs?” Maddy sarcastically asked while she glared at Gaby’s host. As Gaby started to reply, Britney sheepishly removed her arms from around her neck.

“You better take your bloody hands off of her … that’s my girlfriend!”Maddy thought as she continued to give Britney an icy stare.

“I told Brit that she doesn’t have to worry about Gaby with her ‘rents,” Gaby whispered lest she was overheard by any one of the people now standing within hearing. By this time, Debbie and Jules had joined the four girls.

Turning to Debbie, Gaby wondered, “What was your dad saying about your room?”

“We thought you two could use the attic. Like Dad said … it’s gonna be mine afterwards. I persuaded him to put in two twin beds instead of a single queen. I thought that’d be easier to take. Dad even gave me my own private bathroom! You’ll love it!” Debbie enthused.

“Okay girls? Hello Sabrina,” Mrs. Walters greeted as she walked up behind the girls.

“Hi, Ms Walters,” Sabrina answered.

“And who is this? I thought there were only two Bond girls?”

“I'm their cousin … Madeline … but everyone calls me Maddy.”

“I showed you the pictures, Mom!” Debbie stated.

“Well … I never realized that you and Gaby were so … identical. You two look more like sisters than her and Jules!” Mrs Walters observed before excusing herself and heading off to talk to some of the other parents.

After her mom left, Debbie again turned to both girls and softly asked, “I’m really sorry it came to this … but are you two really okay with it?”

Jules and Gaby looked at each other and quietly replied in unison, “Yes!”

“Thank you … both of you!” Britney quietly squealed. She gave both Gaby and Jules a big hug.

After the buffet dinner, Principal Roberts gave the standard welcome speech before passing the floor to the American ‘student co-ordinators', namely Jessica Bell and John Fredericks. Following a few words from both of them, they introduced both of the British escorts to the hosts before giving some general notices. With the next day being Thursday, the exchange students were to board their buses at the usual stops and meet at noon, in front of Augusta High School for what Miss Bell called a ‘Day of Familiarization’ with Virginia and more importantly, Augusta County. Mr. Roberts also announced that the American hosts would have the day off to help their British friends make it through their first full day in America. That bit of news received a very generous round of applause from the American kids. Friday would be the first full day at AHS for the British kids.

Once the speeches finished, the evening officially ended with the British kids going home with their hosts.

“Attention please! Before you go … a word to our British visitors. Just to clarify Principal Robert’s words … by the ‘usual bus stops’ … he simply meant where your hosts usually get their bus for school. Please make sure they show you!” Miss Bell announced as everyone was beginning to leave.

“Any plans for the next few days?” Mrs. Walters asked as they arrived back ‘home’.

“You gonna keep training, Gabs?” Britney eagerly asked.

“Training?” Mr. Walters echoed.

“Sure … she’s a national cycling champion!” Britney enthused.

“Ummm ... it’d be nice … but I don’t have any kit with me, let alone a bike,” Gaby pointed out.

“Yet…” Britney replied with a knowing smile and a wink. Although Gaby was familiar with her scheming, she was at a loss to figure what she had up her sleeve this time.
As soon as Mr. Walters had deposited the girl’s bags in ‘their’ room, all four decided to get ready for bed then talk a while longer.
While the two Bond girls were changing, Jules noticed her sister appeared less confident than usual.

“Sis … something wrong? You look … scared…” Jules stated with hesitation.

“I don’t know Jules … being Gaby with family is one thing … but six weeks of Gaby … here?” Gaby blurted out as she straightened her nightdress. “What if…”

“Sh-h-h-h …Gabs!” Jules interjected.

“I’ll be here to help you … don’t worry … but I doubt you’ll need me … being a girl comes so naturally to you!”

“Hate to break it to ya, sis ... but I am a girl,” Gaby quietly joked.

“You know wot I mean...” Jules replied with a grin. Both girls held each other in a tight hug until a knock at the door broke the moment.

“Comin’ guys? … Mom’s made us some hot chocolate,” Debbie offered.

Gaby slipped into the Royal Blue silk and white lace housecoat that matched her nightdress and then stepped into her almost-matching blue fluffy slippers before following Jules and Debbie downstairs.

“Wow … sex-eeee!” Britney enthused when Gaby appeared in the living room.

“Show her the nightgown, Gabs!” Debbie urged.

“My … that IS a lovely negligee set!” Mrs. Walters agreed as Gaby opened her housecoat.

“Beats anything I’ve got!” Britney sighed.

“Your idea of a sexy nightgown is an oversized T-shirt with Garfield on the front!” Debbie sarcastically replied with a big grin.

“It was a present from Mum. She brought this from Germany when she visited us in Dorset, last summer,” Gaby softly replied.

“I thought you lived in Warsop?” Mrs. Walters asked.

“We do. We were holidaying in Dorset when Mum visited,” explained Gaby.

“Don’t worry about your training Gabs. We’ll walk into town tomorrow and see a friend,” Britney casually mentioned as Gaby sat down on the couch beside her and reached for a mug of hot chocolate.

 
 
Comments are greatly appreciated.


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks P.B. For Chapter 3*It Is A Wonderful

Addition to Maddy's Gaby-verse. But I think for readers to truly appreciate your story, they need to read Maddy's Book 4 as well as the fan fiction stories: Lost In Thought, Rhod's Trip To America and Drew's Meltdown all of which can be found here at Big Closet.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not really

PB and I discussed this when I first talked to him about posting these stories here on BC. While having read Maddy B's Gaby stories (at least the first few books) would help understand some of the back story; I believe there are sufficient details given to carry this on it's own. Especially once you get going. PB's stories eventually diverge significantly from canon Gabyverse and eventually depart it completely for the future.

For those who haven't already read parts of it over on Maddy's website, (and for that matter those that have!), the stories are being revised and updated in big and little ways from the versions posted there. Both of us hope that everybody enjoys this work, many a man (and woman) hour have been put into this. For now I'll keep posting weekly as that is the best fit with my schedule and allows PB to do some finetuning after seeing them up over on Maddy's website.

And please, comment!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

P.B., Thanks for this

P.B., Thanks for this delightful chapter as you have added more into Maddy Bell's wonderful characters in the Gaby story. Hugs, J-Lynn