Sarah Carerra - 2.52 - Radio City Music Hall

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg This whole summer had been a whirlwind of new adventures and experiences. My life had completely changed. I was no longer the shy boy who I had grown up believing myself to be. I was now a beautiful young woman with a very exciting life ahead of her.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.52 - Radio City Music Hall
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2011 Megan Campbell
Released: September 5, 2011

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.52 - Radio City Music Hall

The final day of my summer concert tour brought a peace and serenity that was abnormal for a concert day. For the first time all week I got to sleep in longer than usual. I had done more interviews in the mornings during my stay in New York City than I had all month. Having much of the morning off was the best way to start the day.

The light was streaming through the curtains as I pulled back the covers. I climbed out of bed and did a few stretches to help wake me up, then I walked over to the curtains and pulled them apart. Looking down on the already bustling streets stories below the room brought a smile to my face.

I had never imagined that I would get the chance to visit New York City! I lived on the other side of the country, and Dad's job had kept us from taking many vacations while I was growing up. But to contemplate being here to perform two concerts would have been mind-boggling just four months ago.

This whole summer had been a whirlwind of new adventures and experiences. My life had completely changed. I was no longer the shy boy who I had grown up believing myself to be. I was now a beautiful young woman with a very exciting life ahead of her. I couldn't remotely imagine everything that Sarah Carerra would bring to my life. I couldn't imagine what life would be like after I took off the wig for the last time, if that ever happened. But I knew for a fact that I had always been a girl. I had always been Megan.

I knew that belief would be challenged, perhaps forcefully, when I returned to school. Despite the fact that I was legally and genetically female, there were enough people there who knew me before this whole adventure had started. Some of those people would make my life hard while I tried to finish my junior year. But if I could become a platinum recording artist, then I could overcome ANYTHING that they threw at me. With friends like Emily, Ethan, and Paul at my side, I knew that school would be okay, no matter what happened.

I smiled slightly, and turned to start getting ready for the day. Just because I got to sleep in didn't mean I had the whole day off. I wanted to be ready when Dad knocked on the door to my suite.

When I was finished getting dressed, I still hadn't heard anything from Dad or Amy, which was unusual. A knock on the door to my family's room proved that Dad had still been asleep, if his bedraggled appearance was any indication. He scowled at my laughter, but I told him I would go get breakfast and he closed the door to start getting ready for the day.

I was still in a good mood as I walked further down the hall to the suite that the band was staying in. A knock on their door proved more productive, and I found most of them up and dressed. Only Sophie was still getting ready and I waited patiently for her to finish her makeup before I dragged them all down to the hotel’s restaurant. It hadn't been hard to convince them to come to breakfast with me, especially when they found out it would be my treat, and it was one of the best times I had ever spent with my band.

There had been very few times when we got together that didn't involve our music in some way. Getting to sit there and just talk with them for an hour and a half was definitely an eye opener. I learned more about them during that one meal than I had all summer. As we returned to our rooms, I was even more convinced they were the best people I could ever work with.

Austin and the band were going to lounge around the pool and have some fun before the band went to the sound check. I wished I could join them, but I was already committed to spend more time at the Jive booth before the concert. The Jive guys had wanted me to be there all day today, but fortunately I had the excuse of performing a concert to get me out of there early.

Mom and Amy remained at the hotel to finish packing our things onto the bus. The band and the crew weren't leaving New York until late tomorrow. However, Amy, Mason, my family and I were all going to pile onto my bus after tonight’s concert to make the cross-country trip back to Los Angeles in time to get ready for school on Wednesday. Everyone else would be heading for Colorado for next Saturday's concert.

The technology conference was a lot more crowded today than it had been yesterday. News had also apparently circulated that I would be there, because many more fans showed up to get autographs and pictures than yesterday. Overall it was a much better experience, and the Jive executives seemed to be happy with the number of people who were taking an interest in their music player.

When we finally left to make our way to the Radio City Music Hall, I was more than ready to perform a concert. The excitement I felt before every show was already building as we arrived at the historic building and made our way inside. The grandeur and the luxury that were displayed all around us took my breath away instantly, and I marveled that I was actually going to get a chance to perform here!

*  *  *

Darkness descended around me, and I turned and hustled toward the side of the stage for my second costume change of the night. Once I was inside the small booth I raised my hands once more while waiting for one of the ladies to finish untying my shoes while another pulled my top over my head. A third was unzipping my jeans and pulling them down my legs, allowing me to pull my feet out of the jeans and the untied shoes at the same time. Then came the dress.

This costume change was the longest of the concert, because it took extra care to get the dress on without damaging it. Several women helped pull it over my head and get it situated properly. Once my head was free, Stephanie went to work on fixing the wig and touching up my makeup and someone else placed a pair of heels on my feet.

When everyone was done I only had a second or two to glance into the mirror in the room before I had to rush back to the stage. What I saw was a very beautiful girl. The little black dress was very high fashion, and very sophisticated. It was highlighted with silver in a few places to give it some Glam, but otherwise it could have been worn out on an expensive date. I gave myself a smile, then turned and hurried back to get into position before the video keeping the crowd entertained was finished.

I didn't get to take a proper breath until I was in place, which was only slightly encumbered by the tight dress. It still left me with plenty of room to breathe to sing properly. The dress didn't look as tight as it felt, but it was still comfortable.

The soft, slow music started up immediately after the screen at the back had gone dark, and a spotlight shone down upon me. When I started softly singing the first words of Petula Clark's 'Downtown', there was some soft clapping around the hall. This seemed like an appropriate song to be singing just off the Theatre District, and the crowd seemed to agree.

This song was much older than I was, and I had never even heard it before someone suggested using it as a cover. But even the fans in the audience whom I could see and who were younger than me seemed to enjoy the song. It was a really nice song, and as we went back and forth between the slow parts and the faster sections, I was really having a lot of fun. So far this had been the best concert we had performed, without anything going wrong, and I was intent on making sure that continued. It was the last chance I would get before school started.

When the song came to a conclusion, the fire was burning just as strong in my veins. The crowd cheered just as loud as if it had been one of my own songs. Before I had started I knew that this was going to be a fun concert to perform, and the fans certainly made that a reality.

"I promised we would have fun tonight," I told the audience when they started to quiet down once again. "Are we?" That prompted another cheer to echo throughout the venue in response.

"Well, I'm having fun too," I continued. "I've been performing for almost three months now. In that short amount of time I've learned two key things. First, I'm totally addicted to performing. I can't imagine not singing and sharing my talents with people anymore. Second, performing for a great crowd, like you guys, always leaves me 'Breathless'."

I paused briefly, letting a hush settle across the hall before I started singing. After finishing my opening line, Stacy's drums and Jason's guitar joined in to bring sound to the song The Corrs performed so well. I didn't think I could give it the justice that the family band did, but I did my best. I must have done well enough, because the crowd erupted into cheering when we finished.

*  *  *

The backstage meet-and-greet held after the concert was somber for me. I was still elated to interact with all of the fans who had been lucky enough to join us, but the looming end of the summer concerts definitely made me wish I had more time with them before school started.

By far, this had been the most exciting summer of my life. Last year, when Emily, Ethan, and I would spend time on the beach or at a movie or just lazing around each day, I never would have guessed that it would be the last time that we would spend that much time together. We knew as we got older things were inevitably going to change, but I never expected it to happen this soon!

And change they had. Not only was I a whole new person than who I had been back then, but I had hardly even had the chance to see them over the summer. Ethan had run off to camp to get away from me, and Emily had started a job that kept her busy most of the time. I knew she regretted the loss of free time she'd had over the summer, but she'd saved an impressive amount of money from her job that I knew helped alleviate that loss.

Emily was so driven to be successful, which is one of the reasons I was standing where I was, in the middle of a large number of my fans. But I was standing there without her. She had been the driving force who had convinced Ethan to help get me to Scott's party. It was her willpower that had badgered me into getting up on stage that night where Scott had heard me for the first time. Without Emily's drive, there would be no Sarah Carerra.

I missed her.

Standing among the many people who wanted to be my friend and spend as much time with me as they could, all I wished was that I had her here with me. I knew she would be there Tuesday after we got home. I knew that Ethan would be with her. That seemed like such a long time from now, however, and we would only have less than one day to enjoy the rest of the summer before we'd be back in the classrooms together.

But we would be together once again. Emily had quit her job to focus on school, and that meant that any free time we had could be spent together. And while my own career wasn't being put on hold, both of them were more than willing to come along with me. I just hoped that I wasn't keeping them away from anything they wanted to pursue in their own lives.

Later that night, after the glamour of the concert and the afterparty had faded, I was in my room on my tour bus. The wig was safely stored. The outfits were in the closet. I had removed the day's makeup, and all of the people on the bus were in their beds or bunks trying to sleep.

But the fire within me was still burning brightly. I was wide awake, and I found myself sitting on my own bed, staring out the window at the still-heavy early morning traffic around the New York City area. Eddie was expertly navigating the large bus through the busy streets, and I watched the show much like I had watched the Salt Lake Valley from the window of my hotel room the night after my first concert.

The peaceful, serene feelings that had been flowing through me that night were joined by concern and worry tonight. With the start of the school year came the uncertainty of what it would hold for me. I hadn't been the most popular person at the end of the last year. There were a number of students who hated me just because I was different. And most of those students would be returning with me this year.

Despite the acceptance and acclaim that I received nearly every day as Sarah Carerra, these people only knew me as the new girl Megan Campbell. Some of them were sure to only remember me as the person whom I had been before Megan had even come along. That person seemed so foreign to me now that I couldn't even voice the name. Yet it was certain to be on the tongues of those individuals who wanted to hurt me. Having a proper birth certificate wasn't going to be enough to convince them that I really had been a girl since birth. Those were the causes of my worry as I sat there lost in thought.

A soft knock on the door to my room preceded my mom poking her head inside. She had a concerned look on her face when she saw me sitting on top of the covers instead of safely ensconced within. Without a word she came inside, closed the door, and joined me on the bed, wrapping me in a hug.

"Are you worried about school?" she asked. I had long since given up trying to figure out how she always knew what was bothering me. Instead, I hugged her back.

"Yes," I replied while nodding. "I don't know how people are going to react, and that scares me."

Mom was silent for a moment. When she spoke again I felt the love and care that she put into her words.

"Megan," she started. "You are an amazing young woman. I couldn't ask for a better daughter. But what you've gone through isn't normal. People are going to question who you are because of that. I know you are female. Your dad knows you are female. Your doctors and the government know you are female. Anybody who believes otherwise is going to have to learn that truth. In time I don't think that anybody will question who you really are. But for those people who have known you for a while, it will be harder to accept."

Again she hugged me tightly before continuing. "I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I wish you could have been raised as the girl you truly are. But life isn't always easy, and it isn’t always fair. I wish that people would accept you for who you are now, but some of them won't be able to. They will criticize you for living your life the way you were meant to. But you hear criticism like that every day. You've seen the negative things that some people have said about Sarah. This is no different."

"But it IS different," I told her. "She-"

"She is you," Mom interrupted. "Never forget that, Megan. Sarah is believable only because there is a real girl underneath that wig. She is strong and determined and one of the bravest young women I know. I couldn't imagine standing in front of a crowd and performing like you do."

"That strength doesn't come from Sarah," she paused to place her hand over my heart. "It comes from here."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure how to respond. I stared out the window of the bus for a moment. I knew she was right. It was so easy to try to separate my two identities. But I knew that I could perform just as well without the wig. The 4th of July party at Gran and Grandaddy's house had proved that. However, that still didn't make me feel any less apprehensive about what my fellow students would do to me. Some of them, like Jared Lumbart, wanted to harm me. I knew there would be problems during the school year.

But I also knew that I could overcome them. I'd done a number of amazing things over the summer. If I could release a platinum-selling album and perform concerts in front of thousands of people across the nation, then I could find a way to deal with the problems that school would bring.

I looked up into Mom's eyes. Once again I saw her love and adoration for me there. I hoped that she could see the same thing in my own eyes.

"Thank you, Mom," I replied. Then I leaned over and gave her a hug this time. After releasing her I knew what else I wanted.

"Would you like to sleep in here tonight?" I asked. "The bed is much more comfortable."

She laughed lightly, but nodded.

It wasn't until after we had both slid under the covers and I could feel the heat of my mom inches away from me that I felt safe for the first time all evening. Not even Mason could give me the security that Mom could. I drifted off to sleep peacefully within minutes.

Only time would tell what the future would hold.

*  *  *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Learn more about the songs in this chapter at sarahcarerra.com
*  *  *

End of Sarah Carerra — Book 2: Summer Medley

*  *  *

Thank You!

It's almost been two years since I posted the first chapter of Sarah Carerra to the Internet. At that time I had no idea it would evolve into what it is today. Sarah Carerra is probably the most fun I've ever had writing, and I truly adore spending time with her. I hope that there will be plenty more in the future, but that will be up to you, the reader.

Book 3, which will be coming in the next few months, is going to have some transgender issues that Sarah/Megan are going to have to deal with. Going back to school will not be easy, and working to be accepted by the students there will take some time. But there will come a point in this story where the TG content will start to wane. I'm more than willing to continue writing the story, but my question to you is, are you still willing to read it?

Let me know how you feel about the continuation of the story, and how much further it should go, by posting a comment here or mailing me at angeljedigirl(at)gmail.com.

Thank you all for taking the time to read something that is near and dear to my heart. I don't think I could keep writing it if it wasn't for all of the great feedback I get here.

With love,
Megan

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra - Book 3: Concerto in A-
Coming Soon...
up
290 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story

and iI would love more,except I have this weird foreboding every time I see the current title and I can almost see the next book's title as "Sarah's Fall" and it is tad worrisome. Nonetheless, great story and needs finished as you (and your Muse) see fit.

Hugs
Diana

It Doesn't Need to Be That At All

After all, the author controls how things turn out. I would like to see Megan stand up to her father over the school concert and other school activities that he's volunteered her for. He needs to be reminded that she's the star and that he's not being either a good manager or dad in this instance. Yeah, and since he created the mess, it's his to fix.

I'm looking forward to how Megan does in school. Thanks to Megan (our author) for this series. It's been a pleasure to read so far.

Of course!

How could we not be willing to continue reading it?

It's not the TG content that makes a story good and worth reading, even if that might be a considerable attraction towards it for many on this site. It's the engagement of the reader into the plot and story. And this story is simply that good.

Sarah Carerra

Megan; The hardest part of your story writting is going to have wait for part three. This is one of the best on this site right now and it will be missed every Monday until you atart again with part three. Richard

Richard

What a question!!

YES!!! More! More! More! Love reading it!

Thank You Megan

It has been a very enjoyable read.
I look forward to more of her adventures.

Sarah Carerra - 2.52 - Radio City Music Hall

I hope that you continue the story because I can see Sarah/Megan everything and winning.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

thanks for the great story.

its been a great story from start to finish. looking forward to book 3.
I still think Megan should talk to her mom about being forced to join choir and then being expected to preform with them as Sarah, that is the biggest risk her father has set her up for yet.
but I can't wait to see what you come up with.
thanks again

Thank you Megan!

Thank you Megan!

I love the way you are telling the story of Megan/Sarah. I get the feeling that you are pourring some wishfull autobiography into this great and wonderfull story of Sarah Carerra. And every new chapter of Megan's/Sarah's story is a highlight of my week, since I get to live vicariously through Megan/Sarah.

Even though the TG element is really more of a background issue, than the central plot element, I am casting all the votes I can to have this story continue here on BCTS until its final conclusion as you, the authoress, see fit.

Therefor, please continue writing the story of Megan Campbell/Sarah Carerra. And please, continue posting the story of Megan Campbell/Sarah Carrera here on BCTS.

Your very gratefull, thankfull and faithfull reader,

Jessica Nicole

P.S. I would not mind reading more of your story "A Flower's Bloom".

A Flower's Bloom

The good news is that there will be more of A Flower's Bloom posted before there is more Sarah Carerra. Look for it in the next few weeks. :)

Megan

Did not

Did not realize that it has been two years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your storyline. Thanks for sharing it with us. Will be looking forward for the next "book".
Ciao, Paix & Good Journey
Pat
Whatever path is chosen, live to experience at its fullest.

Whatever path is chosen, live to experience at its fullest.

I've been insanely busy lately,

but I've gotten a bit of time to type lately, so I can get away with this.

The story doesn't need TG elements to be worth reading. That said, it will remain a 'tg' story, simply because of the first book itself - that won't change. It will always be a tiny underlying theme, no matter how far away you write from the origin.

So, I'll keep reading it as long as you keep it fresh, which could be a very long time :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Sarah Carerra

I am always delighted to find another update to this story. Keep up the great work!

Julie

not good

this is a great story. please continue with it. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

YES!

I lover this story, please please continue :)

Please more

It is shocking to realize that it's been two years. I've enjoyed your story so much over this time and continually look forward to the next installment.

You're a very engaging writer and I really enjoy your stories so .... Please More! :)

Love and Hugs,

Connie

Love This Story So Much!

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg I hope to see it continue. I would love to see how she handles the dual identity with regards to school since she got recruited to sing in the Chorus. It will be interesting to see how she manages not giving herself away when she starts to sing. Then there is the task of juggling school and career. It will also be interesting to see how she handles bringing new friends into her circle without having them expose her secret life as Sarah. Thank you for such a fun and entertaining adventure. I hope it continues!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

A great book

Renee_Heart2's picture

I loved this book it was intresting to see how her concerts were & how she reacted to being discovered by a friend.

This chapter was no diffrent she needed her mom at this very piticular molment when she did & when she invited her mom to sleep with her that is what she needed she felt safe with her mom. School is going to be VERY dificult for poor Megan, but with 4 people whe really know her for who she really is then she will get through it.

I think this story should go on till she gets to college & maybe beyond that.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Transgender is just a start, never the finish

Discovering one is transgender, or in Megan's case, tagged with the wrong gender.... which really is what transgender means.... is just the start.

What happens afterwards is life, sometimes good, sometimes bad, usually quite honest. Megan's story is all those things. Just because she passes through the initial transgender issues will not mean she can live her life without her every action and decision taking her life experiences into consideration. Sarah Carrera's life has already deeply engaged those of us who have been priviledged to share in it's telling. I don't think I'm alone when I say I'll feel a deep loss if the story of her life stops.

Megan is your literary creation, and much like a real life child, her life grows in ways we can not always see. I see this quite often in my story characters. My initial hpoes and plans for them morph as the character lives. Please continue to share Megan with us as long as you deem advisable.

I look forward to seeing much more of Megan's life! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Definitely

Megan

Thank you for being our tour guide. I've really enjoyed the journey you've taken us on. While all good things have to come to an end, I'd love it if you could delay the inevitable.

So, if you write it (and publish it), I'll definitely be here reading it.

Thank you for sharing Sarah's story with us.

Positive Sentiments


Bike Resources

more please

Megan this is the first story i read when i came across BCTS and have read every chapter since please keep it going ,love Roo

ROO

Add One More Vote to Continue

Silly Girl! Of course we will continue reading this most excellent story as long as you continue to share it with us. Your writing style is easy to read, engaging, and fun. I haven't read a single chapter that has not turned on the waterworks at least once.

As others have already said, Sarah/Megan's TGness was only the catalyst to start the story off. You have us so hooked into following her life, that we need to know how she fares with the likes of Jared Lumbart, how she melds into the school choir, how her friendship with Emily, Ethan, and Paul evolves, how she keeps the Sarah persona secreted from the rest of the school.

To close with an infamous byline... Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Thank you

It has been a pleasure to wait for each new chapter of this story, had not even realised it was two years.

Looking forward to the continuation when it comes along.

Brian

Sara cont.

I have said before I can not write but appricate those who can. You are definatly one of the best. I have enjoyed the story very much. Please go on from here.

great ending - but don't stop.

Great ending to the summer concert tour. But please don't stop. You have touched on a lot of the things that need to be resolved back at school. And there are so many other venues to visit.

It would also be interesting for to meet Connie Alexander's character, from Catwalk Confidence. I know she has mentioned Sarah's songs a couple of times.

Dani.jpg Dani

Dani

crossover

If Sarah met Alex, I am that would be interesting. Though more interesting would be (at least for me) meeting with Faeriemage´s Desdemona (Keith), though due recent announcement I don´t see it very probable.

As for mentioned non TG content, I don´t mind at all, because, there is only so much which can be said, whithout one repeating self, even more the Sarah theme is interesting itself, so I am really curious, how it would continue.

Please continue

Sarah's story has been one of my favorites since the beginning. I truly hope that you will continue to write about her adventures.

Thank-you for your excellent efforts to-date, and I look forward to more in the future.

Neves Amgine

Big Mistake

I think its a HUGE mistake going back to her old school. It wouldn't take much effort for her to enlist in a different school across town. The tremendous problems , harassments and beatings that would undoubtedly result from her going back should be enough to scare her senseless. It would be much safer for her transfer now to a NEW school and start fresh with the new environment. I know it might take the story elsewhere but we know what will happen for certain going back to the old school - Besides with the new school are new unknowns to be explored. Dad, being her manager should be definitely concerned about it and weigh the costs of sending her to hell or starting fresh. As her Dad, he should be concerned about the safety of his child, all concerts and managing aside.

I'm thinking for the benefit of the town and for her to save her money and not spend it in legal expenses and hospital bills and not getting newspaper headlines adverse to what she has built up already positively as Sarah, she should fight to transfer to a new school. I would think Megan would have analyzed this path just like she does with her songs. Its intuitive to her.

Sephrena

Great story

I usually don't comment due to time constraints. I usually read in pieces on my phone when I have a few minutes. However, I feel strongly that good writing trumps subject matter. Even though the TG will wane, good writing about growing up different is always welcome. Also curious about how the story ends! We have invested a lot of ourselves into these characters. We want to know what happens to them. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks.

Moms are cool. It's the law

Moms are cool. It's the law of the universe or something. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Definitely more

Sarah has been one of the most enjoyable series on BC. I look forward to book 3.

Neves Amgine

sarah carerra

book 1 &2 have been a delight too read and i,m now ready too start to read book 3.
i can,t see it not being as good ,keep it up .

I know I'm late to the party ...

But, actually is my second reading of the Sarah Carrera saga.

I think it should continue past the third book , if possible. Sarah had become something of a role model. She is food inspiration to trans people, young or old. Whether you wean off the tg elements, it still is an inspiring story of self acceptance, growth and a desire to succeed in your dreams. Who, but a cretin, could fault that.
I know you haven't written about Sarah on awhile, but please go back and if you find inspiration and a desire to continue, it would be most welcome.

You write it

And I will read it. Excellent story.

Fifty two chapters! And still going!

This has been a spectacular second book in this engrossing tale. Book One was very good. Book Two is even better. The whole “Hannah Montana” bit has a number of holes in it when you introduce it. As you go along you have been back filling the holes and strengthening the plot point. Anyone who hasn’t read this is in for a strongly recommended treat.