Sarah Carerra - 2.37 - All Aboard the Crazy Train

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg I took a seat next to Holly and the rest of the band, who were looking at the proceedings with the same confused look that was plastered on my face. None of us really understood what was going on.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.37 - All Aboard the Crazy Train
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2011 Megan Campbell
Released: May 23, 2011

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.37 - All Aboard the Crazy Train

Convincing my mom that I wasn't upset about the photo album had been a hard thing to do. But eventually she seemed to accept that I had come to terms with what that album meant to my life. When she tucked me into bed that evening, something she hadn't done for ages, I knew just how much she loved me and had been worried about me.

The next day, I was still holding onto that feeling, as I stared at all the people around the table. I didn't know who half of the people in the room were, yet they were all talking and clamoring and trying to figure out what to do next. Where was Scott? I really wished he would show up and take control. Only the calm peaceful feeling of the previous night kept me from going insane.

Dad and I had just arrived at the studio for the 'Concert Kickoff Meeting', but when we walked into the same room that we had used to decide on the songs last week, I found these people yelling at each other as they tried to figure out everything that was involved in putting on a concert.

I took a seat next to Holly and the rest of the band, who were looking at the proceedings with the same confused look that was plastered on my face. None of us really understood what was going on. Rosemary, the events coordinator, seemed to be running the meeting. She was discussing each of the venues and what we could expect on the technical side. All of it was going directly over my head, and I wondered why I was being included in this meeting. All I needed to do was show up and sing. I didn't care how big the stage was or where the sound connections were located.

It quickly became apparent that this was not the meeting I had been invited to. Scott had been delayed for some reason, and Rosemary had taken it upon herself to conduct her first staff meeting to fill the time. She had stopped the meeting only long enough for her to introduce me to the many people I didn't know before she returned to the chaos. Unfortunately, there were too many names for me to remember. I made Dad promise to get me a book or something with each of their names and pictures so that I could learn who they were before the tour. I wanted to be able to call each of them by their names when I saw them at the venues.

The band and I suffered through the staff meeting for most of the morning. At first I tried to start up my own meeting with them and talk about the new song I had written. I couldn’t tell them what it was about since Dad was sitting next to me, but Rosemary was not happy with me. She wouldn't tell me to stop, since keeping me happy was one of her main priorities, but I knew she felt I was disrupting everyone else. Instead, I asked the band to move to the other side of the room with me, where we could quietly talk about it in more detail. Dad stayed with the others at Rosemary's meeting, so I was even able to describe what it was about.

Sophie and Holly loved my idea of giving Mom the song for her birthday. The guys thought it was cool too, but they didn't understand completely why it would be perfect. Boys. We set up a time to meet next Sunday to finish the song, since that was the only free day we had in the next two weeks. Kate would probably want to choreograph it, but I didn't want this song to have much. This was one of the few songs where I would get to play the guitar, so I figured that I'd be standing or sitting at the microphone as I played and sang. Kate wouldn't be happy about it, but she knew that I had been asked to write another song.

Rosemary then pulled us back into her meeting, since she thought the things she was discussing with the others had an impact on us. Unfortunately, they didn't. I quickly became bored while I wondered once again where Scott was. I had a feeling that we were going to be here late now.

It was with a great relief that a catered lunch was brought in. Discussion turned away from the staff meeting and more toward small talk. I tried to get to know the people around the table as well as I could, because these were the people who would make my time on stage shine.

Scott finally showed up just before Rosemary was about to start up again. He had a young woman with him who looked slightly out of place, but who also had an excited and awestruck quality about her.

"Sarah, can I have a moment of your time?" he asked. I nodded and stood up, and Dad followed me. I'd do anything to get out of this meeting! I saw the longing in the eyes of the band members, and I knew that they hoped that I would take them with me. I tried to give them a reassuring smile before stepping toward the door and Scott.

Scott directed me back out into the hallway and we walked down the hall. The young woman and Dad followed behind us while we talked.

"Busy morning?" he asked with a smirk on his face.

"More like boring," I replied, which got him laughing. I couldn't contain a laugh myself.

"I'm sorry about that. I had something come up last minute that I needed to take care of," he said as he pointed to one of the doors that we were approaching. We shifted our direction toward the door.

"I wrote another song," I told him as we entered the room. I looked back as he entered behind me and watched his smile grow larger. I knew that news would make him happy.

"That's great!" he exclaimed while motioning back to the room. "I knew you could do it!"

I smiled myself while looking around. It was a small green room with a couple of couches around a small coffee table. Scott directed me to sit in one and I complied. Dad sat down next to me and Scott and the woman sat down on one across from us.

I took another look at the girl. She looked rather familiar, but I couldn't place where I had seen her before. She appeared to be in her early twenties. She was quite pretty with long blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders in waves and piercing icy blue eyes that had a kindness in them that I fell into immediately. She was dressed in a conservative business suit that looked too formal on her. But best of all, she was wearing a large smile that showed the same excitement I had first seen when she had walked into the other room with Scott.

"Sarah, I'd like you to meet Amy Martin," he said while gesturing to the young woman beside him.

"It's nice to meet you, Amy," I greeted her while trying to return the excited smile that she was giving me. I didn't believe it was possible, but her smile grew even wider.

"Oh, we've met before," Amy replied, but extended her hand anyway. I reached over the table and shook it.

"Amy is one of my most trusted employees," Dad replied. It was at that moment that I recognized her. I had seen her at Dad's office every once in a while and I had been introduced to her a couple of weeks ago when I had been in Dad's office as Sarah. "I have asked her to be your personal assistant. She has agreed to take on the job, assuming that it is okay with you."

"Oh," I said, surprised. I didn't know that I needed a personal assistant. Dad was always there to fill that role.

Dad noticed my look immediately. "I can't do this alone, Sarah," he explained. "I've been doing a lot of what she will do for you, but I have other clients whom I need to work with too. I will still be there for you, but Amy will handle most of the details."

"Okay," I said, not sure what that really meant. I turned back to Amy. If I was going to say yes to her, I'd need to know her better. "Tell me a bit about yourself."

Her smile had faltered a bit when I didn't say yes immediately, but it grew again when I didn't outright reject her as a candidate either.

"I've been working for your father for two years as an intern," she said. Her statement also clued me into the fact that she already knew my secret. If Dad had already told her, then I knew he felt certain I would agree to allow her to be my personal assistant. "I just graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor's degree in business administration. I'm single and I'm a very big fan of your music."

I smiled. I didn't really care about her school qualifications, even though they were nice to hear. But the friendliness, and the way she seemed to know exactly what to say to me was definitely something that scored points in my mind. We continued to get to know each other for a few more minutes, but it didn't take me very long to make my decision. She had already been approved by my dad, and Scott had met with her over lunch and approved of her too. There was only one person left.

I reached my own hand out to her across the table. She took it excitedly.

"Welcome aboard, Amy," I said while giving her a bright smile. Her own face lit up immediately and she shrieked excitedly before calming down. I knew that she was going to be fun to work with.

*  *  *

The rest of the day was better. Being in a meeting until dinnertime wasn't what I really wanted to do, but at least the information that we covered was relevant to me this time. We talked about schedules, expectations, and the desires that everyone wanted to get out of the concert tour.

I had managed to win the battle to get time to sightsee in each city, but I still had to make my appearances and interviews for each city too. I knew that was part of the deal, so I agreed to that.

School was going to be tricky until the concert tour was over, because I would have to miss some to make my tour dates. However, it wouldn't be too much, although anything that got me out of school was a bonus in my book.

Before we left for the day, Dad started to talk to Scott while I went to the restroom. When I returned, they seemed to be arguing. I stood back to prevent them from seeing me. I had never seen the two of them disagree on anything before, and I was curious what it was.

"We never should have set up the concert tour before releasing her album!" Dad argued.

"I agree, Don," Scott said. There had to be more to it if they were arguing, though. "But we've already committed to the tour and she's nearly sold out every venue. It's too late to change it now."

I stood there, stunned at Scott's words for a moment! Most of the shows were already sold out?

"But she could be filling places like the Staples Center, and we have her performing in places that only hold 6,000 fans or less," Dad said. "We only have one venue on the tour that even comes close to holding the number of people she should be performing for."

"And it isn't sold out," Scott pointed out.

"That's because it's out in the middle of nowhere," Dad replied angrily. "If it was in a major city and not in the wilds of Washington, it wouldn't be a problem."

Scott sighed, and I knew that Dad was preaching to the choir. Scott completely agreed with what Dad was telling him.

"There's no way we could have predicted her popularity," Scott finally said. "I mean, I've never had somebody take off like she has before. If we would have known how the fans would react, we could have done things differently. But now we are stuck with the schedule."

"I don't like it," my dad replied. He looked kind of angry. It was his ‘angry agent’ face, so I knew he was frustrated about the business side of this instead of being mad at anyone in particular.

"I know, Don. I don't like it either," Scott replied. "That's why we are looking at the mini-tour at the beginning of the year. We can give her the audience she deserves then."

Scott caught sight of me then and motioned to my dad to let him know I was there. Dad turned and smiled at me, but it was obvious he was still upset.

I was just happy to be performing a tour. I didn't care how many people were there. I knew that Dad was proud of me, and I knew he only wanted to give me the best. I already knew that the budget far exceeded what would normally go into a tour of this size. I tried to explain all of this to him on the way home, but he wasn't listening to me. He'd sometimes get that way about his work, and this was the first time it had involved me. I knew that he'd be more rational in the morning. But the rest of the car ride home was pretty quiet.

*  *  *

The following morning was the beginning of a much better day. Instead of meeting in the room at the record company like the day before, we met in Kate Abernathy's dance studio for choreography work. Learning and perfecting the choreography was the most important thing we had to do before the concert tour began. It would take up the majority of the two weeks we had left before we made our way up to Paso Robles for the debut concert.

"Try again!" Kate screamed at one of the dancers who was going to join me on stage. The poor girl looked scared to death at the way that Kate was yelling at her, but it seemed to have the effect she wanted because each time Kate yelled at her, the girl improved greatly.

I lined up for another attempt. Many of the songs that I would be singing would involve only the band and me onstage, but there were a few songs where additional dancers would accompany us. Kate had decided that we would learn those songs first.

"That was much better," Kate said once we had finished the attempt. "Take five minutes."

I sighed in relief and walked over to the bench where my water bottle was. Uncapping it, I took a long drink and then I sat down. I didn't realize that the choreography would be so intense. When Kate had worked with me before my first concert the choreography had been minimal compared to what she was throwing at us now.

"I'm sorry," I heard someone say nervously from nearby. I looked up to see the girl whom Kate had been yelling at standing nearby. The look on her face told me that she felt she was letting everyone down. I tried to give her a confident smile, and then patted the bench next to me.

"Don't worry about it, Kerri," I said while she walked over and sat down next to me. I noticed a small smile creep across her face when I called her by name, but it quickly disappeared.

"But I don't want to..." she started to say before I interrupted her by holding up my hand. She quietly trailed off before she could finish her sentence.

"You're doing great," I told her. She opened her mouth again to argue, but I smiled and continued before she could. "You’ve improved with every attempt. Kate is just picking on you because you are setting a good example for everyone else."

I saw confusion cross her eyes for a moment while I took another sip of my water. The slight shake of her head told me that she didn't believe me. I continued to talk to her during the short break, trying to instill some confidence into her. She truly was one of the more gifted dancers in the room, and I had told her the truth. I knew that Kate was yelling at her to keep the rest of the group in line. It seemed to be working.

"Alright, Sarah," Kate said to indicate that the break was over. "You're getting it down pretty well. I want you to start singing during each attempt now. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes," I replied. But now I felt nervous. Kate had told me a number of times by this point just how natural I was as a dancer, but I still wasn't sure I believed her. Trying to combine the sometimes complex choreography with singing was something that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do easily.

We lined up once more, and when the music started I fell into the moves that were starting to become second nature now. When it came time to sing, I launched into the song, and stumbled immediately. If it hadn't been for a quick sidestep, I would have toppled to the ground.

"Whoa," I said while catching myself. This was going to take some getting used to! I normally only had my music to concentrate on. Now I had more things to worry about while up on the stage.

"That's okay, Sarah," Kate said with a smile. Her reaction was so different than how she treated the dancers, and I wondered if she was giving me more leeway. "I know it can be hard at first, but that is just because you are trying to concentrate on both singing and dancing. Once you've had some practice, both will be second nature to you."

I nodded and took my place for another attempt. This one was better, and I was able to sing while dancing, but it didn't take me long to realize what the new problem was.

I was gasping for breath by the time the song was over, and I knew it hadn't sounded very good. The last thing I wanted to do was get up on that stage and sound raspy because I was exerting too much energy dancing.

I bent over with my hands on my knees, trying to get more oxygen into my lungs. I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do this.

"And you thought you were in good shape, huh?" Kate half-said, half-laughed next to me. It made me laugh too, which didn't help my lack of oxygen at all. "Don't worry, by the end of next week we'll have you belting out the lyrics and dancing at the same time. Just you wait."

I sighed while standing up straight. I wasn't looking forward to choreography anymore.

*  *  *

That was how the rest of my week went. I would get up and get ready for the day, drive down to Kate's studio, dance all day, and then come home and collapse into bed. Then I'd have to do the same thing the next day.

But it became easier. Each day I was able to sing more and more of each song in key and in tune, while I danced the way that Kate wanted me to dance. Each time I'd be gasping less and less after each song. It was a lot of hard work, but it was starting to pay off. I began to realize that a recording artist had to be in great shape to perform a concert. Then again, not every recording artist employed the type of choreography that Kate was having me learn. She kept telling me that I was a natural dancer, and she seemed to be using that talent to its potential.

By the end of each day I yearned for the chance to practice the slow songs or the ones that involved me and my guitar. They would give me the chance to rest between the high octane songs that got Kate revved up each morning. But I didn't get to practice them much, since their choreography was fairly limited. I knew that I was going to sleep well each night after performing. I'd be too exhausted to stay up and enjoy the rush all night like I had in Salt Lake City. Kate was making sure of that.

When I went to bed Friday night, I was thankful for the fact that I had an appointment with Mary in the morning. Not only would I get the chance to talk to her about the photo album that I had found on Sunday, but the appointment gave me the excuse I needed to take half a day off from learning the choreography.

After four straight days of long hours in Kate's studio, I wasn't sure that I would EVER be able to forget the choreography that she had come up with. It was ingrained into my soul now. All of the dancers, plus Sophie, Holly, and I had done an excellent job learning the choreography. I knew that we were almost ready for the first concert. Saturday afternoon would mean one last run through of each song at Kate's studio before we took the stage on Monday to practice dress rehearsals.

This next week would allow us to learn our positioning while on a stage, and also it would give us the chance to learn how to take off and put on each outfit backstage. There were a total of 12 dancers and 4 backup dancers who would be appearing on stage with me; two groups that would alternate between songs to help give the other group the chance they needed to change. I envied them for the amount of time they would have, because I would have less than a minute to change my own clothes, but they also had a lot more wardrobe changes to contend with than I did.

I was the only person who had to learn choreography for each song. Granted, my choreography wasn't as complex as the dancers’, because I was singing and had a microphone in my hand, but I still felt that I was taking on the brunt of the work. Yet my name was also the only one listed on the headline. People were coming to see ME, and they expected a good show. Kate was only giving me the tools I needed to give a good show to my fans.

And despite how tired I was as I laid there waiting for sleep to claim me, I knew one thing for sure: I was having fun. I couldn't deny that one fact. When I had first signed the contract that brought Sarah Carerra's career into being, I had no idea it would be this much work. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

*  *  *

Chapter 38 - Hey! You're On TV!
Coming Soon...
up
353 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah Carerra - 2.37 - All Aboard the Crazy Train

I am glad that she is enjoying being Sarah Carerra. As ong as it is not a burden, she will do fine. But she also must deal with the downside of fame.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Teething troubles

Well I never thought Megan did much in the way of exercising so I am not surprised at her lack of breath. Interesting that she will continue to use her trademark microphone versus the headset affair a lot of the dancing type pop stars use ( eg BS :) )

Well it is really up to her whether she really want to do all this heavy duty floor show type presentation. Given her audience though I guess it is par for the course. I would suggest for variety's sake though that she does not get pigeon holed for her flash and more for her music if she is to have any long term career (Madonna a notable exception of course who had at best a mediocre voice but great stage presence.)

Kim

Oh, and Another person knows her secret now

I am beginning to think Amy may become the weak link in hiding her secret. There are just so many people who know now though :(

Kim

That could be a problem

but the biggest one I see is.that mom is being drawn further into Sarahs' caree. I know she wants to do thinvs for her and share all het success with mom but eventually someone is going to take notice of that and wonder why. They'll start snooping around and it will be difficult to keep her true identity hidden.

I agree,

Mom and Dad are actually the biggest threats to her secret getting out at this point.

It's already been commented on by people close to her that weren't in on the secret that her relationship with Don is too close for an agent and his client, and the amount of time he has dedicated to her career -- even with how well it has gone -- in lieu of his other clients would be suspicious to anyone. On top of that, with her mom getting more into her scene, and the fact that they will be attending most every concert she performs, it wouldn't take someone digging for information too long to figure out her secret.

Though, really, the Hannah Montana thing is only meant to be a temporary stopgap rather than a permanent solution anyhow. When it does fall apart, though, the backlash is going to be horrible for her. First, the essential loss of the safety net provided by the stage image, followed by the certainty of her medical history being released to the world. There is only so much one can do to counteract the level of bad press that being TG will generate for their career (regardless of how inaccurate it might be in the given situation) and Megan/Sarah will need to be strong to make it through that without some form of emotional damage.

Melanie E.

If I were Sarah...

... I would really have some very strong words with dear old dad. From the beginning he wanted Sarah never to tell anybody that she is also Megan. Now it seems that dear dad tells it to all and sundry. With the possible speed of rumours and internet - who will be last to know? Perhaps some tribe in the Amazon rainforest!

As Melanie said the issue is Megan/Sarah safety net and possibility to have a more normal teenage life. I wonder what will happen to Sarah's songwriting when the wistle blows and everybody knows who she is and that she used to be (or rather look like) a boy. There might be some very strong songs or she might even stop writing them alltogether.

For the backlash - it is hard to know what could happen as Megan really has always been Megan. She was - I think the term is - intersexed and that is naturally far easier to understand. It is clearly a medical condition which being transgendered is not to bigots anyway. I just hope Sarah/Megan makes enough money to get the hell out of Dodge if necessary.

Why not?

Edeyn Why not give Mom a wig and some glasses? If the change in appearance works for Megan, Ethan, and Emily -- why hasn't it been used for Mom and Austin? Don being too close... Pop Fly and the girls were the only ones that brought that up, and they'd never worked with Don before.
It was implied if not mentioned that Don only really focuses on one client at a time, with the others (like Josh) only really requiring maintenance. Josh mentioned at one point that for awhile when he'd started he had seen more of Don than of his own parents.

I don't think her secret coming out would harm her as much due to the damage control that has already been done. You Can't Hurt Me and the incident that led to it being written has essentially warned the media to not sensationalize anything about her more than necessary, or she'll retaliate in song. The fact that she IS so popular means they know they don't have to sensationalize anything for it to sell papers, as it were. When it comes out that Sarah is really the stage name for Megan, and the fact that she was raised as a boy comes out, there will be a reaction -- but the actual fans will mostly be curious. When it is pointed out that she never lied, that the collapse was due to her first period being blocked, it will cause a bit more understanding of the intersex condition. Perhaps. There will be fans that turn away, but overall her popularity is too great at this point to just vanish.

And the secret may never come out at all. It may come out that Sarah isn't her real identity but no one is able to figure out who she really is. I would see a likely scenario being that Amy and Megan cook up that Megan is Amy's assistant. A lot of the top personal assistants to important or wealthy folks that are busy people have their own assistant. Think of it like this:

  • Sarah is the analogue of Prince George the Idiot
  • Amy is the analogue of his butlerishness, Edmund Blackadder (Blackadder III)
  • Megan could then be the analogue of the dogsbody Sodoff Baldrick.

Okay, if you don't like the Blackadder analogy, look at it from another angle... CEO of a company has a personal assistant. That personal assistant has to take care of the things immediately pertaining to that CEO, and a lot of times that means a lot of other legwork and assisting has to be done by others. Most times, such a personal assistant will have a direct assistant to coordinate all of that other work.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
The Infamous Intersex Transgender Asian Lesbian Atheist Chick of the Ozarks
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

A work out

Renee_Heart2's picture

Well Considering MEgan was eather recording, at some photo shoot, in some meeting or another doing her first music video or doing some endorcement when the hell was she supost to work out? She dosen't get much time to even visit her friend Emily even though she is working. I think Megan might just start working out more in between shows & even when she is at school running track, bleachers & weight training would be great for her as well as arobics. I think that arobics is someting she & her mom can take part in as a mother daughter thing so they will have something they can do together on a regular basis & have some bonding time.

Another great chapter Megan I look foward to next weeks chapter.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Summer Job

It occurs to me that Megan can claim to be working for her dad and Sarah on tour over the summer so she gets a chance to travel and spend more time with her dad that has been devoting so much time to Sarah. It would also explain why her mom was along because he would be to busy to keep an eye on her all the time so her mom will be there to keep an eye on the teenage girl. The idea that she was helping Sarah's new assistant Amy, as was mentioned by someone else, is a good one. It would also explain why she missed some school.

Of course you may have already thought of this or other explanations. If the Sarah secret can last the summer it should be safe when things slow down when she goes back to school. However I think she'll be lucky if she gets more than a year of school before the secret comes out. While secrets can be kept for longer periods of time it will get harder each time she has a burst of public activity.

Amazing

I'm gone for a few weeks and look at all I missed!

Great as always and I think that when her secret gets out it wont cause as big a problem and it could have earlier. As pointed out above, Sarah is getting firmly established and it will take a lot to hurt that. Megan's privacy is another matter.

Just love this story.

Luv and Hugs,

Connie

Yo! Connie, welcome back. BTW LOVED Sarah Carerra today

Hum,

Amy sounds A-okay just the more who know the more an accidental slip can happen.

As to the 6000 and smaller venues for all but one concert, use the Linda Ronstadt explanation.

On Wait Wait Don't Tell Me -- NPR -- a year or so back the then 60 year old rock legend said she stopped performing in the big venues because...

It is one thing to sing It's So Easy at 30, all together different at 60.

Also the big venues, the stadiums have lousy sound, half the crowd is out of their seats buying beer and she felt the huge ticket prices were an outrage. Nothing more than ten dollars was fair she thought.

So Sarah can tell the press and her fans, "We decided on the these particular concerts before I, like got so famous? I mean nobody could have predicted this? But it's great, this way it's more intimate, the sound is far better, you can maybe actually SEE me on stage and anyway the record company is recording much of my tour and hopes to have a special ready for TV soon after I go back to school in the fall. Not that you can't have a good concert at one but how "close and intimate" is a 70 thousand seat football stadium?"

Or something like that. Use her humor, natural sweetness and that killer smile of her to charm the pants off the media.

Plus just maybe at a few of the venues, just a few as Sarah is working her ass-off on tour, maybe they could squeeze in a second performance. As to the during school winter/x-mass break mini tour maybe she could to The Rose Bowl, or Superdome or a live network TV concert?

She is actually singing while dancing, no lip sync ? Oh, I am in love! What a great artist and crew that they would risk this. Probably no stinking Autotune either?

Worried Scott was delayed with problems with his son, Amy was a relief.

The delay in Megan starting school is risky. More channce two and two will get put together. The "I was an intern working for my dad, Sarah Carrera's agent." is not a bad idea for a *cover* if used with care.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. So Connie, when will Catwalk resume?

-- grin --

John in Wauwatosa

One Thing, John...

Nobody's talking about Sarah selling out stadiums; it's just that she could have handled the large-scale arenas that hold 12,000 to 18,000 people. Sure, they're less intimate, but 6000-seat venues aren't exactly intimate to begin with. The difference is one of degree, not concept: those giant outdoor stadium shows can take days to set up, massive amounts of props and effects, lots of roadies and equipment. (One of them scheduled for the Oakland Coliseum last year sent the A's onto the road for more than a week; ironically, the tour was postponed a full year when U2's Bono hurt his back.)

I don't think it's a delay starting school that they're talking about, since all but one of the September concerts are on Saturdays. It's probably just odd days here and there, if they need to fly her somewhere a day in advance, but that shouldn't be a frequent occurrence. Since their publicity says that Sarah's planning to attend public school in the fall, I'd expect that any media promos (audio or video) would be done remotely from L.A. outside of school hours She can even connect directly with her fans by computer if the occasion arises. I'm sure all the stage setup onsite can be handled without her present, except for the sound check, which would be done the day of the concert anyway after she got in.

Actually, as we saw, Megan looks forward to missing school. The folks making her arrangements probably don't feel that way. (There is the Tuesday concert in Utah, though.)

Eric

If Amy Has Been Around...

...for two years, it seems fairly likely that she not only knows about Megan, but also about Brett, if she's astute enough to connect the dots, so to speak. (Family pictures, for one thing, since she has been to the house. Phone messages. Conversations with Don.)

Obviously they'll have to rehearse the concert as a whole before they go to Paso Robles, including the new song. Unless our author is about to send Don on a major emergency trip somewhere (which just might be the idea in introducing Amy at this point), he should hear the "Mom song" and (possibly more importantly) Sarah's intended stage comments about it before it explodes in their faces on tour.

Eric

(Just noticed that the official Sarah Carerra bio from the record company (posted on sarahcarerra.com) says that Sarah lives in Los Angeles with her parents and younger brother. I'm not sure how to what extent Megan was planning to use the "Sarah lives in Malibu but has a room at her manager's L.A. house as a matter of convenience, and his daughter's a close friend" dodge, but that would seem to limit its effectiveness.)

An important lesson in workaday life

Megan is learning an important lesson in being involved in the boring, daily ins-and-outs of the music business. Every job has its daily routines, which if not dealt with effectively by each worker, can set anyone up for burnout! Most of us are involved in this at least once during our careers. Those who never face this are truly blessed in their chosen métiers.

She is seeing up front in life much of what she'll need to handle as a career & it seems that her father & agent has been careful to hand it out to her in more manageable doses. Assigning Amy as her personal assistant is an essential sign that Sarah's career has now passed beyond its "probationary" stage.

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

One has to wonder

If it will stay fun over the long term. We shall see.