Down to Earth - Part 21

Printer-friendly version

Down to Earth
Departings and Arrivals!

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio
 
Consider the flowers of the field in their beauty
More lovely than even the clothes of a king
Consider the birds of the air
Flying high, flying free
You are precious to me



Draehoidel - The Practice of the Old Arts


This story is a continuation of A Question of Balance. Thus far: Three women, centuries old and practitioners of Draihoidel, the old arts, had come along side a girl in desperate need of understanding and encouragement. Each had taken the form of mortals to influence three souls close to the girl. The fourth member of the group, the girl’s brother had been a practitioner of the old arts for only a few days. The women have returned to help the family once again, along with others that need the healing that only love can provide...


Previously...

"Who are those two...are they our next assignment?" Orla asked Calleigh, who smiled and shook her head no. Fiona tilted her head and Siohbhan laughed softly.

"That's Ashleigh and her girlfriend Zoe. Distant 'relatives' if you take my meaning. They may be helping out from time to time. You know the kind of tasks we have...balladeers...they sing into existence the strength some of our charges may need, if you recall? But we've got work to do here yet, dears. Before we go, we have some partings to arrange and a new beginning."

"I thought we aren't supposed to interfere, Calleigh? What makes this different?" Orla asked as Fiona nodded her head.

"Oh, no, sweet girl...we won't be doin' anything except plannin' a party. We've got some celebratin' to do."

Outside the Board of Education Building...Friday Night...

"I'm still angry with you!" Phyllis looked over at Dave, who stood quietly while folks walked past to their cars.

"I know...but after our talk, I was so scared that you...you'd leave, and I couldn't let that happen...I promise I will never interfere in your life again....unless you want me to." She looked up at him and smiled.

"I guess it would be alright to interfere once and a while.

"Would you mind? Are you free next Friday?" He smiled at her and she grinned.

"Oh...I supposed I could be...what do you have in mind?"

"Well..." He paused and she seemed to grow brighter in anticipation until he said,

"There's a grief support group that meets at my church at seven...I thought maybe you'd like to go."

"Oh...I guess so." She half-frowned in disappointment until he added,

"And maybe we could grab a late dinner in the city? Would you like that."

"Yes...David Ackerman...I would like that a lot."


The McCarthy home...a bit later...

"Well...this is it...I'm off in a bit..." Janey had stayed back, since no one other than the Women, Patty and Chelsea, Michael, and Breena ,knew of her 'existence.'

"Do you have to go?" Patty began to cry. Chelsea held her hand and they walked over to Janey.

"I'll be just around the corner...Malaysia or some place...just a stone's throw away." She laughed, knowing really that when your stride and voice span eternity, a half-planet is a very short distance.

"You...you'll come by? Often?" Patty hugged her mother.

"As often as I can be spared, but you're in good hands, what with your darlin' girl here and your sister. Speakin' of which, come give me hug, okay?" Michael was still dress as Michelle, and felt awkward once again.

"Listen, my dear child. You have nuthin' to be ashamed of. You're as fine a man and woman as I've ever known," she said, teasing only a wee bit.

"That's just it...is this what I am...what's wrong with our family this way?" He put his head down. She lifted his chin with a soft gesture and said quietly,

"Nothing at all Michael...the McCarthy's have been blessed this way...something in us? I don't know...but you'll be a better person for it. You are a fine man, Michael, but I believe your path lies elsewhere, if you understand me...Calleigh won't be but a wee bit more before she starts thinkin' about retiring, and you, my dear have the heart for it..."

"Mom...I..."

"The best of both worlds, Michelle, my dear daughter." She kissed his fore head before walking out the front door. Standing on the porch, Breena held Paul's hands in hers. She was crying again, but she didn't look upset at all.

"Ahemmm!" Janey made a point to make the noise loud enough to interrupt them.

"Oh....Paul....this...this is my...."

"Hello? I'm Janey...Breena's cousin from Ireland...I've heard about you? Mr. G, the kids call you. I'm glad to meet you." She held out her hand, which he shook gently but firmly.

"Aye...a man's shake...I'm awfully glad you and Breena have hit it off so well." Breena began to blush at the comment.

"You'll likely not find a finer man that this one, my dear girl, and I'm telling you, Mr. Paul Giambrone, you will never find a finer woman in all the world as well." Paul nodded and turned to find Breena crying once again.

"Well, dear, come give me a hug...I'm off...I'll be back soon, don't you worry. Keep on loving those precious children of yours..." Janey's voice trailed off, not out of regret, but out of relief and joy, knowing that somehow love had redeemed the McCarthy family, and that everything was going to be alright.


The Lambert home...that evening...

"I love you so much..." Diane lay beside her wife in bed, basking in the joy of the moment that would definitely transcend time. People had rallied around her, but more importantly, she understood finally that the true measure of a person is gauged by how many friends she has, which with Diane and Trudy both were many.

"So...what about names?" Trudy said with a conspiratorial giggle, something Diane completely missed.

"I've always loved Roberta...after my grandmother...but I also love Liz..."

"How about Kelly, after my grandmother...or maybe Zoe...after your Aunt?" Trudy giggled again.

"So hard to decide." Diane shook her head. She was still amazed and relieved and overwhelmed at the outpouring of love she had been blessed with.

"Why not Roberta Elizabeth? Or maybe Kelly Zoe...or a combination of any of them." Trudy kissed Diane's ear, causing her to shrink a bit from the tickle.

"Or maybe all of them?" Trudy began to laugh; a relieved laugh, but a joyous laugh filled with wonder and awe at the day and the days to come. Diane looked at her slightly crosswise and confused until she said finally at last,

"Dr. Levine called again today...they did another ultrasound for Marnie today..."

"No..." Not a disagreement so much as an amazed gasp.

"We, heart of my heart, are going to be mothers to two darling little girls.

"Roberta Kelly and Zoe Elizabeth...mmmmmm."

"What's that look?" Trudy said with caution. Diane leaned closer to her wife and kissed her deeply before saying at last,

"Let's celebrate."


Calleigh stood outside the McCarthy home with Orla, Fiona, Sinead back in her role as a Woman of Draehoidel. With them were two young women in their twenties. They were dressed in similar garb as the others, almost gossamer gowns in colors too wonderful to describe.

"Is this going to hurt?" Zoe asked, more out of concern for Ashley than herself.

"Not at all, and we'll be back before the night is over...that's how it goes." Ashley looked at Calleigh with amazement.

"You'll not be needing your instruments this time, but I expect you'll do fine with the singin'. We're going to go to Australia. A very nice grandmom...Alison Mary her name is...needs help because a friend is sad and scared and feelin' all alone. Alison has done what she can, and this girl needs the strength and courage that only the Sacred Songs can provide. So sing you will, darlings...and I know you'll do fine.

"Miss Calleigh," Ashley said, touching Calleigh's arm softly.

"I think I might be afraid to fly...I've never flown in a plane." She put her head down, almost embarrassed. Zoe held her tight and whispered quietly,

"Honey...I don't think we'll be flying in a plane." Even as she said that the six women began to shimmer and glow as their clothing became almost a wisp of smoke or a cloud of vapor. And in a moment they were gone.....

If a child asks her father on earth for fish or for bread
Who among you would give her a snake or a stone?
How much more does the Father above
Have a heart full of love
For the children that He calls His own?
Where your treasure is
There is your heart
Where your treasure is
There is your heart
There is your heart

For my girls...


The series will continue in a new story, The Singer and Her Bride

Treasure
words and music by
the performing band,
Iona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssqrc5pE1Sc
http://www.iona.uk.com/

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great!

Zoe Taylor's picture

So full of love and tenderness. And people call me sweet ^_^

But it's the best kind of sweet. Even with the magical qualities, it feels so natural and so organic. I love it :-) And Zoe Elizabeth has a fantastic ring to it, as does Roberta Kelly.

*giggle* Twins! So precious :-D

* * *

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Michael/Michelle

Michael was still dress as Michelle, and felt awkward once again.

"Listen, my dear child. You have nuthin' to be ashamed of. You're as fine a man and woman as I've ever known," she said, teasing only a wee bit.

"That's just it...it this what I am...what's wrong with our family this way." He put his head down. She lifted his chin with a soft gesture and said quietly,

"Nothing at all Michael...the McCarthy's have been bless this way...something in us? I don't know...but you'll be a better person for it. You are a fine man, Michael, but I believe your path lies elsewhere, if you understand me...Calleigh won't be but a wee bit more before she starts thinkin' about retiring, and you, my dear have the heart for it..."

"Mom...I..."

"The best of both worlds, Michelle, my dear daughter."

Hmmm. Sounds like he has more to do yet?

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

BTW

Dorothy...I love your tee-shirt!!!!!!! I also love this story. Andrea...you are insanely gifted with the written word!!! Send some of that my way. While I comment on stories, I have only written one and it was for a class in writing. After reading my endeavor, the teacher gave up teaching the class. I look forward to the start of the new continuation.

Hugs,

Triona

Thank you 'Drea,

ALISON

' so much for such a beautiful thing.I have sat with Sarah for two days now and she is now her old self after I gave her a birthday present,a week early,but I got a lovely card for her and she burst into tears.
When I asked her what was wrong she cried on my shoulder and told me that it was the first time she had ever been given a "Girly" card.She will be at our Trans Support Meeting today and she will cry again when she sees what you have written.So sweet,'Drea.

ALISON

Part of What I Love

littlerocksilver's picture

... about your stories are the images you manage to find to illustrate them. Still, they pale compared to the images you are able to create in my mind with your words.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Down to Earth - Part 21

Mission completed :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A Job Well Done

Thank you.