Down to Earth - Part 10

Printer-friendly version

Down to Earth
Someday

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio
 
Someday, when we are wiser
When the world's older
When we have learned
I pray someday we may yet
Live to live and let live



Draihoidel - The Practice of the Old Arts


This story is a continuation of A Question of Balance. Thus far: Three women, centuries old and practitioners of Draihoidel, the old arts, had come along side a girl in desperate need of understanding and encouragement. Each had taken the form of mortals to influence three souls close to the girl. The fourth member of the group, the girl’s brother had been a practitioner of the old arts for only a few days. He made the choice to identify with his sister; the boy who would be a girl, by becoming a transgender teen, of sorts. The girls reunited with their dying mother before she passed into the spirit world. Two other souls received strength and encouragement, including the one who would demonstrate a new-found courage in helping the family and herself....


Previously...in the office of Dan Lambert, guidance counselor...

“Hey, Dan, Paddy McCarthy is here.” Connie van Zyle, the department secretary said over his intercom.

“Send him….send her in,” Dan corrected himself.

“You wanted to see me, Mr. Lambert?” Paddy said as she walked into Dan’s office.

“Yes…have a seat,”” he said pointing to the chair on the opposite side of the desk where he sat.

“You planning on attending the assembly?” He asked.

“I’m not so sure…I can’t handle all the teasing…” Her voice trailed off. She was glad she finally had an ally in her brother/sister, but the unmerciful harassment was almost too much for her.

“I want you to know something…something only one other person knows. I’m going to be at the assembly, partly because Mrs. Calabrese is laid up and won’t be able to make it. But I’m going there for another reason.” He smiled nervously and took a deep breath.

“I had a long talk with my wife last night…hardest conversation I ever had. Ever have one of those?” Paddy thought about the talk she and Mike had only a few days before.

“Been married nearly fifteen years; she’s the best thing that ever happened to me.” He held up the wedding photo that sat next to his phone, always a reminder of God’s grace in the form of his loving wife. He was half-kneeling next to her wheelchair kissing her lightly on the cheek.

“It’s no use ever keeping secrets, Paddy. It doesn’t really work all that well, and it usually makes things worse.” Paddy had not secrets that he was aware of, so Mr. Lambert must be talking about someone else.

“I’ll be at the assembly, and my wife Trudy will be there with me for support.” His eyes misted up, some for what he had to say to Paddy, but mostly out of gratitude for the love of his wife.

“I’m tg, a crossdresser, but maybe even more than that…and she still loves me, Paddy, can you believe that?” He looked away, trying not to be too embarrassed; wanting so much to encourage the girl in front of him.

“I’m going to need all the support I can get, Paddy, and I think you of all people will know what I’m talking about. Please consider attending? Don't worry if you can't...I'll be alright.” Dan didn’t want to manipulate or use Paddy in any way, so he left it up to her to decide.


The assembly started about ten minutes late; owing more to logistics. The school, for the most part, received an early dismissal, apart from some extra-curricular activities. There were no home games, save a girl's field hockey game that had already started. The remainder of the schedule was away, which was actually helpful because many of the guys that typically harassed the tg students were off fighting other battles. After all the early buses left, apart from the odd club, the school was empty save for about thirty teens. All of the transgender attendees were boys; in a school only a little over 400, the odds were small there were any girls in the school wishing sexual reassignment, and if there were, they didn't attend.

Out of the thirty, about fifteen were girls who were supporting their tg friends, who numbered about seven, including Paddy and Michelle, Paddy's erstwhile sister as her brother had assumed a femme persona. The remaining eight teens consisted of four curious boys and four hecklers. Mrs. Grabowski ushered the hecklers out of the auditorium, but one asked permission to remain after apologizing.

Michelle sat nervously between Paddy and Chelsea, who was looking nervously across at Paddy. She was determined to support Paddy in this, even though it was breaking her heart. She did a fairly good job holding back the tears even as Paddy sat rapt listening to the few speakers from the TG Support Group. Orla, as Fay, sat by her side and rubber her arm, saying

"You know it's for the best, since it's what she wants, sweetie..." Fay leaned closer and said softly,

"You're her best friend, honey....that'll never change unless you want it to." Chelsea looked at Fay, wondering why she would say that, since it had become important to her, probably the biggest sacrifice she'd ever make, to let Paddy go. She had told Fay that much.

There were only three speakers besides Fiona. A married cross dresser spoke first, explaining that the transgender "spectrum" was not just transitioning, or pre-operative, but included cross dressers and girls who had chosen to live as women but without the surgery. Rather than go into data or information, the speakers all spoke about feelings and learning to deal with rejection, what to do to reach out for support, more relationship issues than anything else.

After Fiona spoke briefly about her experience (duplicated entirely from the experience of a then nineteen-year old cross dresser from Cleveland) she handed it off to two brothers in their mid twenties who were post-operative women, who discussed their transition in light of the acceptance they had received from their family. It was a process, not arrived at quickly, with only some of their family reaching out and understanding and loving them.

A final unscheduled speaker walked slowly onto the platform, her pace slow and nervous, but she was determined to speak, if only for her own benefit, but ultimately for the benefit of a teen who had felt unsupported and misunderstood. She was pretty, in her thirties it appeared, and she was dressed modestly owing to the importance of the presentation. She walked up to the mike, her blue shirt set off by the maroon curtains behind the lectern.

“I would like to thank the school for giving me this opportunity to speak. Some of you already know me, having sat across from me in my office,” she said softly. She was accompanied on stage by a very attractive woman who looked up at her with pride from her vantage point from her wheelchair.

"I would also like to thank a student I've know for a while, whose courage and understanding also helped me make the decision to speak today." She paused and choked back a sob.

“Some know me as Mr. Lambert, or Dan…but today, with my wife beside me, you may call me Diane.” She half smiled and turned to face Trudy, who had tears in her eyes. To be sure, she was anxious for her husband, but what couldn’t they face, such was the confidence in their love.

A hush filled the auditorium. Diane had cleared it with the administration; she had not wanted to detract from the presentation, but felt if the teens knew someone they trusted was like them, it might help them with their own struggles. Paddy looked up at her…him…it was entirely confusing and marvelous at the same time, and felt better at that moment than at any other time in her life apart from her talk with Michelle and her mother’s return.

In total, the "testimony" phase of the assembly lasted about forty minutes. It was followed by a question and answer period that lasted only ten minutes, owing more to the embarrassment of the teens. However, after the presentation ended, the teens hung around for over an hour just talking with the support members.


After the assembly....

Michelle was anxious for several reasons. She was finding out that her own fears and anxiety over her feelings about herself had fueled her panic and succeeding harassment of her own sister. She was sure she wasn't all-girl as some might say, but she had discovered in the process she wasn't all-boy either. As uncomfortable as she felt being dressed as a girl from the embarrassment, she also found that when she wasn't thinking about what others were thinking, she actually started to relax. That ease disappeared quickly as she felt a tap on her left shoulder as she stood listening to Paddy talking with Diane Lambert.

"Mike...." A voice came from behind and interrupted her peace with just the mention of her name, being that it was said by her best friend Jimmy Dolan. Recognizing the voice, Michelle reverted to her male self and became unnerved by his best friend's presence; that is until Jimmy said...

"Mikey...hey...don't sweat it..." He smiled at Mike and continued. "I don't fucking understand this...what the fuck...but you're my best friend...since like when we was in pre-school...." He smiled an awkward smile before saying,

"I'll talk to Tony and Jack...I think it's about time we decided to be human for a change...I got your back, bro"

He turned to walk away before asking,

"You...n' me...we cool? I mean...I don't...I..."

"Yeah...we're cool...and just so you know..." Mike softened his voice, but smiled in a silly grin, wanting to ease his friend's questions and doubts, understandable, but still needing an answer. Michelle looked over at the girls who had come in support, and said softly,

"I still like girls...yes?"

"Cool...I'll talk to Tony and Jack...it’ll be okay. And Mike...Tell your brother I'm sorry."


Chelsea stood next to Paddy, waiting for her to finish talking with the presenters. After Diane hugged her, Paddy smiled and said thank you. She turned to face Chelsea, nervous and sad. She was going to be going on a journey that likely didn't include her best friend. As great a day as it was for her, Paddy couldn't help herself and burst into tears. Chelsea hugged her and patted her back, wanting so much to never let go. And Paddy hated it, but she feared the same thing.

Fay walked up to the two of them and whispered in Chelsea's ear,

"She'll never know if you don't tell her." In a rare moment, Orla stepped out of character for a few seconds. She kissed Chelsea on the cheek in a decidedly un-Fay-like manner and said softly, her voice returning to its natural brogue,

"Go ahead, sweetheart, tell the girl...it'll be alright...I promise." Orla never promised anything she wasn't absolutely sure of...until now. But she strongly felt something, so she said it anyway.

"Tell her and see what she says...you'll never lose her as a friend either way."


Meanwhile....

“Paddy…it’s okay…it’s going to be alright.” Chelsea was crying almost as hard as Paddy, but she continued.

“You’re my best friend…nothing will ever change that.” She said, rubbing Paddy’s back.

“You….you…since we were little. Wanted to be together.”

Paddy wept, but it wasn’t just for Chelsea. “Ever since we were little…’we’re going to get married in a big church with all of our friends.” Paddy remembered how Chelsea lined up all her dolls and stuffed animals as guests. She had a huge stuffed giraffe who “presided” over the wedding.

“It’s what I’ve always wanted…” Paddy’s voice trailed off, and Chelsea was going to say something until it struck her exactly what Paddy had just said.

“What you’ve always wanted? You mean what you wanted, right? You don’t mean…” Chelsea paused, not believing what she had just heard.

“Does it have to end, Chels? I wasn’t sure what I needed or wanted when we were little; I’m still not entirely sure who I am…but I’ve always wanted that wedding. I just didn’t know I wanted wear the wedding dress too.”

She was sobbing so hard Chelsea had to lead her to a seat. She looked at Paddy with the same loving eyes that beheld him for the first time when they were little. She certainly had not stopped loving Paddy now that he was a she.

“Oh Paddy…honey…no…no…” She stroked her hair and kissed her cheeks. Their lips met only briefly before the realization of where they still were sunk in.

Standing behind them, almost as a witness to a solemn ceremony, they heard the following.

“Like I said…” Orla once again reverted to her Fay-like Tri-state accent, “My mom always says, ‘Love will find a way.”


A few weeks later...at the Lambert home....Someday, life will be fairer

Need will be rarer
And greed will not pay
Godspeed, this bright millenia
On it's way, let it come someday

The light streamed through the parting of the curtains, bathing their bed in warm sunlight.

"Hey, sleepyhead. Good Morning," she said, kissing her lover on the cheek. Diane turned over and smiled weakly.

"Your eyes are so puffy, honey. Were you crying?" Almost a rhetorical question.

"I'm so scared." Diane looked at Trudy and shrugged her shoulders softly. "I'm not sure I'm ready for this." She used her eyes as a gesture as she looked at her body. While her transformation was nearly complete, save for the final alteration, she wasn't thinking of her transition.

"You may not be ready, but we are. We're in this together." Trudy smiled and kissed Diane's cheek once again.

"You've got so much going for you...me included!" She laughed softly.

"But what if this doesn't work? What will I do?" Diane bit her tongue and shook her head softly from side to side.

"We will be okay." Trudy nodded and widened her eyes as if to make a point.

"You have everything going for you. You love those kids. You love your job. We'll be fine." Diane looked at her wife as if to plead for mercy, but she really was looking for assurance. She had never been confident, either as Don or or Diane.

"Let me tell you something, sweetheart." Trudy's eyes began to mist even as she recalled what she was about to say.

"The day we met? I was wheeling myself into my office building and you were walking by. Remember?" Trudy's vision of the moment was brilliant and vivid. Diane's vision had been dimmed and shaded by doubt and misplaced shame. She looked at Trudy blankly until she heard these words,

"You said, 'excuse me, can I help,' and smiled at me. The nicest smile I had ever seen; the most welcoming smile I have ever known. You didn't rush to my side or take charge...just 'excuse me, can I help?.'" Trudy smiled at the thought of the memory while Diane frowned, not being able to recall. Her memories were clouded and shaded by the worry of the moment.

"I nodded, and you just helped me. Once I was freed from the doorway, you released the chair. It was like you were saying, 'Here you are, I hope that was okay.'" She smiled once again. Diane's eyes began to fill with tears as she began to recall.

"And then the most wonderful thing ever in my life took place. You got down on one knee and grabbed the armrest of my chair to steady yourself. You looked me in the eye and smiled that smile of yours. I thought it couldn't get any bigger or brighter but it did. And then you said, 'I don't believe I know you.' Like you were missing something...like I had just brought something special to you..to someone..as if I were blessing you."

Trudy shrugged her shoulder as if to say, 'sorry, but that's just how I feel.

"'Hi, I'm Trudy Pavelich.' I said. I stuck my hand out and you took it gently and held it for a moment. And then you said the most wonderful words I had ever heard. 'I am so pleased to meet you, Trudy.'" Trudy paused to savor the moment.

"You made me feel so special...the first time since the accident." Trudy's eyes filled with tears. There would always be regrets and sadness over her limitations, but her tears were tears of joy.

"In that one moment, when you lowered yourself to my level, not to be condescending, but to be inclusive...you made me feel that I finally belonged once again. You not only brought yourself to my level, but you lifted me up at the same time.”

Diane looked at Trudy; overwhelmed with gratitude. Trudy went on.

“You know I always thought there was something about you…something different?” She looked in Diane’s eyes, almost searching for some understanding…something that would convince Diane of her support and love.

“You and I talked about children…I know you didn’t want to…you didn’t want to hurt me.” Trudy glanced downward at her own body, remembering the day.

“Two words made me think…two words that I didn’t give a second thought at the time...'I know'; you were so understanding and supportive…you seemed so connected to my grief. And then one day it came to me…you knew the pain I felt because you felt it yourself. You knew my loss because you never had what we both wanted…to bear children. I knew then how much different you were; not only from other men, but from what I thought you were.” At those words Diane winced and tears began to fall once again.

“No, dearest…no crying…no guilt…no more shame. Today it stops. You were never whom I thought you were, but you have always been and always will be whom I really need…and love.” Trudy touched her heart with her palm and smiled.

"You won't be going into that school today by yourself. I'll be right there with you." She touched Diane's chest almost like ET did with Elliot.

"I'll be right there. Okay?" Trudy pulled her lover into her and kissed her. She loved more than anything that her arms were still able to hold...her hands able to caress and explore and comfort. And when she pulled Diane close she felt empowered and alive.

After a few moments, they parted lips and looked at each other. Both were crying, but with tears of gladness. In a brief moment, Trudy's strength had empowered Diane for the biggest day of their lives, perhaps.

"I guess there's only one question I have for you. Maybe the most important question of the day." She smiled at Diane.

"What?" Diane said softly with a smile.

"Will it be Navy Blue with the slacks or Charcoal Grey with the skirt?"


As the couple prepared for the day, four figures stood or rather hovered by the window, unseen; Calleigh, Orla, Fiona, and Siobhan, the newest member of the Women, Draihoidel they are called, magical spiritual beings from the old country. They looked at the couple through the bedroom window and then moved off...

“So these two, we know them don’t we?” Orla said, but it really was a statement rather than a question.

“Yes,” Calleigh said. “Fiona was blessed with the responsibility to help the woman…Diane is her name, but you may remember her as Dan. And her wife is Gertrude..Trudy she is called.” Calleigh smiled at Fiona who beamed at the mention of the man who had become something else, perhaps something more.

“So they need our help?” Siobhan asked. The newest member, she was learning all about who she was in the scheme of things. Never a patient mortal, she was beginning to understand the meaning of patience, but her question was anything but hasty.

“In a way, dear heart, but not directly.” They have each other. It is the ones they serve and the ones who serve them that require our assistance. Orla smiled knowingly. She had recognized the needs of the two at first, and her resourcefulness had crafted a plan, if you’ll excuse the expression.

“Each of us will influence a mortal to make decisions, as we always have. We are bound by those decisions, even if they become difficult or even problematic, as they say. Whatever they choose to do will guide and may ultimately decide what happens to this sweet couple.” Calleigh smiled once again.

“Will I be able to help this time?” Siobhan asked. In the intervening months since their last visit, she had only been allowed to observe.

“Oh, yes, dear heart. As a matter of fact, your assignment should be waking and getting ready for the day just now as well. Shall we go and see, ladies?” Calleigh smiled at Orla and Fiona, both of whom already knew how special the plan would be for Siobhan. In a moment they were transported from the couple’s home to another home not far away; a home that Siobhan recognized.
 

~//~


 
“You kids need to get ready. I know that having a car changes things, Mike, but you still have to get to school on time." Breena called to her nephew. Michael McCarthy bounded down the stairs, his sister Patty following close after him.

“Mind you get straight back here right after school. I need the car to take Patty to the doctor.”

“Oh, can we just skip today, Aunt Breena?” Patty asked. I can just pop by her office tomorrow and get the new prescription tomorrow morning. Chelsea and I wanted to go to the library to study.” Breena half-frowned and said,

“Plenty enough time for that…besides, Dr. Murdoch is off to a conference tonight and she won’t be back until Tuesday. I’ll drop you by her house right after the appointment, okay?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Mike said with a sigh. He had wanted to get together with his girlfriend Hilda that afternoon as well. Less focused than his sister, Mike had lapsed into some poor habits recently and really had not considered the implications. He was going to learn soon enough that actions have consequences; some difficult to deal with perhaps, but also beneficial if one is willing to learn from them.

There are some days, dark and bitter
Seems we haven't got a prayer
But a prayer for something better
Is the one thing we all share

As Breena placed the cereal bowls on the dining room table, a bright light began to stream through the window of the front storm door. A moment later the bell rang.

Janey McCarthy, most recently deceased and even more recent Siobhan, the newest member of the Four, stood at the front door. Breena was surprised enough to drop one of the bowls. Neddie ran quickly from the kitchen, wagging his tail. Ignoring the woman at the door, he made a beeline for the pile of spilled Cheerios and inhaled them in an instant. Patty stood stock still, while Mike walked over calmly and opened the door and smiled warmly at his mother as if greeting a dead parent was something he did every day.

Janey looked back and forth between her son, her daughter, her sister and the Irish Setter who was wagging his tail and said simply,

“Begging your pardon, dear hearts, but can ye tell me…Am I late for breakfast?”


Later that morning, in the Guidance Department offices....

The woman sat nervously at her desk. She was clad in a simple charcoal grey A-line skirt and a button down navy blue blouse. Her hair was pulled into a bun and she wore little makeup, save for some eye shadow and lip gloss. The watch on her left wrist was a recent gift from her spouse and she wore a gold wedding ring on her left hand. The clock on the office wall said nine-twelve. A moment later a knock came at her door, followed by a familiar face in the doorway. The woman greeted the face with a soft, welcoming laugh.

“Come in Connie.” The woman said softly and Connie Van Zyl, the Guidance Department secretary stepped into the small office, her head down, looking at a folder.

“Your nine-fifteen is here…Petey Carlucci…he’s got that note you asked for and….” Connie interrupted her own thoughts as she noticed the woman behind the desk, saying simply,

“Son of a bitch…you’re doing it.” Connie laughed nervously and smiled, handing the folder to Diane Lambert, simultaneously the newest and second-most tenured counselor in the department behind Linda Calabrese, the department head.

“I’ll be honest with you, hon, I didn’t think you’d do it. Really.” She smiled once again and said,

“I’ll give you this, Dan, you’re a braver….girl than I am.” Connie chuckled. Diane looked at her and said,

“We’ll see how brave I am when everybody opens their mail this morning.” She smiled once again as Connie started to leave.

“Connie?” Diane said once again. Connie turned and faced Diane, wondering what she might say next.

“Thanks for everything…just in case?”

“Oh, Dan…Diane…let’s hope for the best!” Connie left the office. A moment later another knock came at the door.

“What is the meaning of this?” Phyllis Jensen stood in the doorway, her hands on her hips.

“Whatever do you mean,” Diane said softly, barely looking up from her desk.

“You know what I mean,” She said coldly. “Why are you wearing that?” Phyllis pointed with her outstretched arm in a broad gesture.

“Because it is too warm for a jacket?” Diane said calmly?

“No…you know what I mean…why are you wearing womens’s clothing?” Phyllis insisted.

"Because I’m a woman, Phyllis.” Diane remained calm. Phyllis took a step toward Diane’s desk.

“The school board is going to hear about this.” She said. Diane looked at her and reached for an envelope on her desk.

“The school board has already been informed. I anticipated that you would want to know, so here’s your copy.” Diane handed Phyllis the letter, but Phyllis ignored it and continued.

“I want to know what is going on, and I want to know now.” She demanded.

“Alright, Phyllis,” Diane said softly and calmly,

“Here’s the story, okay?” Diane began to read the copy of the letter on her desk.

“To whom it may concern. This letter will act as formal notification that my client, Ms. Diane Marie Lambert, with the approval and medical advice of her doctors, is entering into next phase of her Real Life Experience, commonly known as a ‘real life test.” She is under doctor’s care and has already completed prerequisite aspects of this requirement prior to her gender confirmation surgery. During this phase, Ms. Lambert will live and present herself as the woman she is. This letter is also to serve as notification that any attempt by the School Board of Milltown, Pennsylvania and/or their agents to interfere with Ms. Lambert’s legal rights under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall be met with legal action on Ms. Lambert’s Behalf. Respectfully, Amos Henderson, Esq., Attorney at Law…etc….”

“I don’t know about this…the school board should know about this.” Phyllis repeated.

“They already know…they received a letter identical to the one in your hand…the very same letter I just read to you.” Diane continued to speak softly and calmly, which only seemed to bother Ms. Jensen more.

“Well, I’m the principal here…” Diane calmly cut her off.

“Sorry, but I hate to disagree. Marion is the principal. You’re acting principal while she is on vacation and at the conference in Pittsburgh.” Diane smiled warmly, which served to fuel Phyllis Jensen’s anger.

“Never the less I am in charge.” Phyllis snapped but Diane waved her hand and said,

“You are acting principal in name only. Any decisions regarding personnel have to go through her office and in her absence, the department head. As Linda is on maternity leave, that leaves someone in this department with seniority in charge. That would be me.” Diane smiled again. She knew somehow Trudy was reaching out to her, perhaps imbuing her with strength beyond the moment.

“I’m going to take this up with the school board.” Phyllis said once again.

“Feel free, but they’re going to be under the same constraint as you. Unless Marion is removed from her position, which she won’t be, any personnel decisions will have to wait until she returns next Friday, so the only thing left to say is …have a wonderful day, Phyllis.” Diane smiled warmly again, astounded at the courage she had just shown in the face of what she expected would be only the beginning of opposition.

Someday our fight will be won, and
We'll stand in the sun, in
That bright afternoon
'Til then, on days when the sun
Is gone, we'll hang on
If we wish upon the moon

Phyllis turned and walked out of Diane’s office, nearly knocking over a fifteen year old boy who had just transferred from another district. Petey Carlucci smiled at Phyllis and waved.

"You're coming with me young man," she said as she pointed the way across the hall to her office.

Petey Carlucci, most recently of West Chester as a high school sophomore, but before that a student of Draihoidel in County Sligo in 1626; Calleigh took a deep breath and entered the office.


A few moments later, in the office of Phyllis Jensen, Vice Principal...

"Well, young man?" Phyllis stared at Peter Anthony Carlucci, or rather his Avatar, to use an entirely overwrought expression.

"I'm trying to find your file, but it seems it's been misplaced." No sooner than Phyllis had uttered those words than a knock came at the doorway.

"This just arrived via FedEx, Ms. Jensen." Connie handed her the envelope. Phyllis opened it and found a fairly worn green folder containing Petey's school file. She nodded in acknowledgement and Connie left them alone. After a few minutes, Phyllis looked up and spoke.

"Well, Mister Carlucci, it seems as if you were a bit of a troublemaker at your last school. We won't have any of that here, mind you. You can be sure we will put an end to your 'activism."

"Excuse me, Ma'am, I may only be fifteen, but unless I read the Constitution wrong, you can't put an end to my exercise of free speech."

"We'll just see about that." She paused and looked down at the file before continuing.

"It says here you violated the dress code frequently while at your previous school." She frowned and shook her head as if he was a five year old.

"No, Ma'am, I merely chose to wear the clothing I prefer." Petey folded his arms and smiled warmly.

"It doesn't say here; a page is missing. What did you wear that violated the dress code." Phyllis looked at him askance, as if already doubting what Petey had to say.

"Nothing really. I actually wore age appropriate clothes....my mom bought them at J.C. Penney.

"Jeans? Tee shirts? Logo tee shirts are not permitted." She felt proud that she had helped to establish that rule.

"Oh, no Ma'am, I really don't care for tee shirts." He smiled, once again causing her to look askance at him.

"I actually like calf-length cotton gauze skirts...peasant blouses....boots... sandals, you know...pretty." He smiled once more.

"Well, we have several children here who are transgendered. MInd you, we tolerate them as much as possible; we don't want the other students upset by their behavior or presentation." She smiled, but her tone was anything but welcoming.

"That's interesting, Ma'am, but I'm not transgendered...I just like wearing dresses and skirts." Petey smiled one more time, and Phyllis became almost apopleptic.

"Well, Mister Carlucci, I must disappoint you. You aren't permitted to wear girls clothing if you're not transgendered. That's not acceptable."

"According to whom, Ma'am?" Even as she uttered Petey's words, Calleigh thought to herself,

"This one is going to be difficult. I wonder why she feels so strongly?" Calleigh knew that folks rarely if ever formed a strong prejudicial opinion without some underlying belief.

"According to the dress code put in place last year by the Board of Education. You would be best served to remember that you don't have the right to wear just what you please. It's bad enough...." She broke off her sentence. She was angry that the board was already accomodating those children and she could see nothing but trouble if she indulged the boy in front of her.

"I expect you to report to class tomorrow morning dressed appropriately. Do I make myself clear, Mister Carlucci?" She stressed Mister yet again.

"Yes, Ma'am. I'll be dressed appropriately." Petey rose and nodded before exiting. As he left he; rather Calleigh, thought, "I think that went rather well."

Someday, when we are wiser
When the whole world is older
When we have love
And I pray someday we may yet
Live to live and one day, someday
Someday life will be fairer
Need will be rarer
And greed will not pay
Godspeed this bright millenia
Let it come
If we wish upon the moon
One day, someday....soon

Next: If We Believe


Someday
words and music by
Steven Schwartz and
Alan Menken
As performed by
Celtic Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8JBSzcpAc

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Today, it stops"

'“No, dearest…no crying…no guilt…no more shame. Today it stops. You were never whom I thought you were, but you have always been and always will be whom I really need…and love.” Trudy touched her heart with her palm and smiled.' such love. If only all of us could have someone like that... perfect, as always dear.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Down to Earth

Leave it to a bigot to abuse their authority. I can see trouble ahead.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So Happy

littlerocksilver's picture

'Drea,

So happy to see this story continuing. I had forgotten about it, but it took reading only a few lines to remember what had gone on in the past. I am so looking forward to the next posting.

Portia

Portia

Lovely to see

ALISON

'the continuation of this story.Will PM you.

ALISON