Three Girls - Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Three Girls

Book Two
Chapter Twelve

Concertos and Confessions

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


 



Three girls find they have a lot more in common than their music...
lainie's hope - maybe now they'll listen...more than just playing...maybe now they might hear


Previously...

Sue walked into the livingroom to find that Al had fallen asleep on the couch, his head propped awkwardly on his hand against the back cushion. She smiled and shook her head; more at what she was feeling at the moment than his slumber. She grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and draped it over him. She leaned closer to give him a kiss on the forehead but thought better of it.

Smiling again, she stepped away; her hand brushing against his arm as she pulled back. They had hugged as cordial ‘exes’ more times than she could remember, and certainly had hugged enough as platonic friends. But this touch, as brief as it was, seemed to evoke memories long past; affection long forgotten and love long dormant. She shook her head as if to doubt her feelings before walking away.

The girl played along with the CD … Rachmoninoff’s Vocalise; a favorite played by often since it was so poignant and bittersweet, much like her life; she was being led along almost as if her violin was playing her, and the melody carried her along gently as it helped soothe the pains still in her heart. She didn’t doubt that her parents loved her, but life had been ungentle enough to her lately that she feared they still wouldn’t understand. She followed Perlman’s lead so closely that it almost sounded as if one were playing instead of two. The emotion of the moment finally got to her and she stopped. As Perlman continued playing she carefully placed her violin in the case at her feet. Getting up she walked over to her bed; briefly stopping to examine her reflection in the dresser mirror.

“You’ll be alright…I promise,” the image seemed to say to her. She shrugged her shoulders with a half-frown; almost disbelieving herself. She lay down and buried her face in her pillow. Weeping didn’t come until she closed her eyes and saw Gennie’s face before her. She sighed deeply before sobbing enough to shake the bed as she cried herself to sleep.


At school…a few days later…

Jack Pietrowski sat behind the desk with his back turned to the door, looking for a CD from Coach Len’s collection on the shelf. A knock came at the door and without turning, he said,

“I’ll be right with you,” which was answered with,

“Coach?”

Elaine stood nervously by the door. She had elected to dress as her new self for this impromptu visit to her track coach. Nothing spectacular. A hip length oversize medium blue wool sweater over black leggings and boots. Jack continued with his back to the door, still searching until he spotted a worn case down at the bottom shelf.

“There…” He exclaimed. As he turned around, he focused on the CD player on the desk, still paying no heed to the figure by the door other than to remark,

“I’ve been wondering when you’d stop by, Alan. I’m sorry about the scholarship and all. Maybe you can do a walk on?” He slid the CD into the player and hit the play button before raising his head. The sound of Carlos Santana played quietly as he turned down the volume.

“Coach?”

Jack looked at his runner; the best 800 Meter man he had ever seen in his time coaching, but was only slightly surprised to see someone in the boy’s place.

“I…I heard things had changed, but I didn’t anticipate this,” Jack said, unfazed as the girl smiled nervously.

“What’s your name?” He asked it as if they were meeting for the first time, which really wasn’t far from the truth.

“Elaine…Lainie…” Alan had more than enjoyed running for Coach Jack; it was like having a favorite uncle for a mentor.

“Well, I am sorry that they reneged on the scholarship. I don’t suppose you’ll be running for a while, from what I heard.”

“No, sir.”

“It’s for the best,” he said with virtually no emotion in his voice, leaving the girl wondering what he meant, and then taking it entirely the wrong way. Lainie put her head down and rocked side to side, looking for an answer to his dismissive comment, but he surprised her.

“Lainie…” He paused. She shuddered. It was the first time anyone besides Gennie and both their families had called her by her ‘real’ name.

“I wanted you to know that it has been an absolute joy to be your coach. I wish you all the success in the world.” His voice was tender and almost fatherly; something that had been sorely lacking in recent years in her life. She shuddered again, nervously shifting from side to side again.

“I have a cousin who’s a nurse…she works with a practice in Montreal…where they help girls like you.” He smiled as she blinked back tears and grinned ever so slightly.

“I don’t begin to know everything about it, and I certainly don’t understand it all, but I think I can say two things for sure, okay?” It was as if he was asking permission to offer an opinion. She nodded but kept quiet.

“First, my cousin is a wonderful woman who is as kind as the day is long, and she’s as caring as anyone I’ve ever met. Since this is important to her, I figure it should be important to me, so it is, whether or not I understand.” He paused and smiled a toothy smile. She looked at him as if to say, ‘And?’

“I trust you…You’ve been one of the best things to happen to this school, and I’m proud to say I got to be a part of your life, even if for only a little while. With you, it was never about the running and all about the running; you run for the sheer joy, but you compete with a will like I’ve never seen. This new….thing? It’s just another challenge for you; one that I am sure you’ll face and win.” He paused in thought for a moment.

“My feeling is, you will know better than anyone else in the world what is best for you, so you have my complete support. He smiled and went to offer his hand, but pulled it back slightly, evoking a quizzical stare from the girl.

“Oh…this?” He said softly; looking at his hand. “My mother told me it’s always polite to let the lady offer her hand first.” He grinned and laughed as Lainie tilted her head in wonder. She held out her hand sheepishly and he shook it firmly, almost as if he was saying farewell.

“You’re going to be okay, kid. I’m sure of that.” He smiled again and reached back to the bookshelf once again, but this time he knew exactly where to look. Pulling a CD from the shelf, he turned and handed it to Elaine.

“Jean-Luc Ponty….Jazz violin…I think you’ll like it.” She took it gingerly, feeling almost overwhelmed by the kindness this man had extended.

“Thanks, Coach.” Nothing had changed and everything had changed between them. The girl sounded exactly like the boy, and her demeanor hadn’t so much changed as seen in a different context. Everything at that moment, at least for Lainie and Jack Pietrowski, made entire sense; like noticing the blue of the sky or smell of salt air by the sea.

“It has been my pleasure, Miss Peterson.” She nearly winced in embarrassment at the new title, as if she had won an award.

“Thank you.” He said and turned slightly as she stepped toward the door.

“And Lainie?” She stopped and turned toward him, noticing that smile once again.

“God bless!”


Later…

“Come in, sweetie!” Linda smiled broadly as Elaine stepped into her office.

“I’m sorry…” She looked down at her apparel apologetically.

“What…for not doing it sooner?” Linda laughed. Lainie shuddered and turned her head, almost embarassed.

“Honey…I didn’t know…I swear, but nothing surprises me about you. You are just a wonder to me. I am amazed, now that I look at you, that we didn’t see this sooner. And I am so sorry for that. I think in trying to get you to fit in as a musician, I really did you a disservice as a person.” Linda sighed.

“That…that’s okay…I didn’t know myself until a while ago, and even then I wasn’t sure.”

“Still, we need to support you kids more as kids than as opportunities. The music won’t be worth anything if the artist is pushed aside. I am truly sorry…?” Linda tilted her head and stared at the girl’s face.

“Oh…it’s Elaine…Lainie, actually.”

“Lainie is my sister’s name…”

She looked at Linda before closing her eyes for a moment, remembering another who called her that often. She sighed in frustration.

“Oh, I’m sorry…I presume too much,” Linda said, noticing the girl’s expression.

“Oh…no…that’s alright… in fact, I kinda like it. Like we’re friends.” She thought again of the name, and breathed out with another long sigh.

“We are friends….Lainie. I think the world of you…I always have. I just didn’t know it was you, you know?” Lainie nodded with a smile, but her mind was elsewhere.

“Listen…just because they don’t have an opening for violin…doesn’t mean you can’t wow them anyway. And you play cello better than some of the pros I know. I wouldn’t worry.”

“I’m…I’m not going to go to school this fall. I’ve got to take some time…” She didn’t mean to, but she looked down at herself; almost looking down on herself.

“Oh…I understand.” Linda smiled politely, wondering why the girl was upset. It dawned on her, and she tapped her desk. Lainie looked up and shook her head.

“I’m sorry…I was someplace else…”

“Listen, honey…you’ve got nothing to be sorry about. I wanted to tell you something even before you mentioned about next Fall, but now I think it means even more…” She paused before standing up. Walking around the desk, she stepped closer to the girl and hugged her. Lainie looked at her in confusion.

“It’s never been about the music…and it’s all about the music. Because the music is part of you…It’s not you, but only your voice. You speak with such eloquence, but with such heart and soul as well. I think that the time off…at least from studying and all that…” Linda shook her head, which earned her another confused look.

“You find out who you are…do what you need to do for yourself…become who you’ve been all along, I suppose…and the music will follow…and the opportunities will follow the music, does that make sense?”

Lainie nodded and smiled. For once, things actually did make sense, even if they didn’t come together as planned or anticipated.

“Elaina Petrova, da?” Linda smiled and laughed softly. She grabbed the girl’s hands with her own and put her head against Lainie’s.

“These are only instruments as well, dear one.” She let go of Laine’s left hand and patted the girl’s chest with her right hand, saying,

“This is what matters most, Elaine. This part of you has been what makes you who you are…and what gives life to your music. That hasn’t changed even if other things have. You see?” She tilted her head and grinned.

“It has been my pleasure to work with you, and I hope that you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for…” A knock came at the door.

“Linda? Annette called while you were out…apparently Mitzi couldn’t wait for the vet visit and there are schnoodles in your closet?” The secretary laughed. Linda nodded and looked around the office. She spotted her purse and picked it up.

“Well, it seems I’m a grandmother…”

“I understand.” Elaine started for the door, but Linda called out,

“Lainie?” She turned and Linda smiled at her before saying,

“God bless!”


That evening…at the O’Hara home…

“So what did the doc say?” Gennie handed Lainie a bottle of SoBe Mint Tea and sat down at the kitchen table.

“I’m sorta fortunate…being ‘small’ is what she said. By the time the year is over, things ought to be where they’re supposed to be…she sees no reason why things won’t be okay with Dr. Phardu and Dr. Stevens, you know? Of course you know.” Lainie put her head down a bit and stared at the table.

“What’s wrong…I know that look.” Gennie put her hand on Lainie’s wrist. She didn’t pull away, but her arm tensed up.

“Lainie…what’s wrong?” The girl lifted her head and she had tears in her eyes; her expression looked fearful.

“I…” She shook her head. Gennie squeezed her wrist and said,

“Lainie…please…you can tell me.” She wished and hoped to God that Lainie had come to realize that she could tell Gennie anything…well, almost anything.

“I can’t….”

“Don’t say that,” Gennie thought. She repeated instead, “You can tell me.”

“I…I need to know…if I do this.”

“Don’t say ‘if’!”
Gennie thought.

“I need to know you’re…” Lainie looked away, her face now awash with tears.

“That I’m with you? You know I’m with you.” She went to touch Lainie’s cheek but pulled her hand back; almost as fearful as the girl whose hand she held.

“It’s…it’s…” Lainie wasn’t at a loss for words; it was the hearing of what she had to say that frightened her…scared her beyond belief over what might happen if she actually spoke what was in her heart.

“What, honey?” Gennie shook ever so slightly at the term of endearment.

“I need to know you’ll…be with me.” Gennie went to speak but Lainie pulled her wrist away and held her hand up.

“No…no.” She nearly sobbed, but continued with a halt….

“I….I need you…”

“Yes?”

“No…I can’t!” Lainie put her head on the table and gave way to the overwhelming emotion of the moment. Gennie put her hand on Lainie’s head. She pulled it back before placing once again on the girl’s head, stroking her hair gently.

“It’s okay…don’t worry…It’s okay?” Gennie had no idea whether or not it really would be okay, but she so desperately cared for Lainie that it should be…it had to be okay.”

“You don’t understand…I need…you. Oh, god…I’m so sorry…I’m so sorry.” Lainie turned her head away from Gennie and began to talk haltingly.

“You…I shouldn’t have said anything…I’ve ruined our friendship…I hate myself. I’m so sorry…” She kept shaking her head and apologizing until the Gennie stood up and stood over her weeping form.

“Ruin it…Oh, Lainie…you haven’t ruined it…you’ve made it…better!” She leaned closer and put her head down on the table, facing Lainie, almost like a child would with a friend who needed solace and comfort.

“Real…really?” Lainie sobbed.

“Really.” Gennie said softly before easing her head closer and kissing her friend…now so much more.

“Really.”


That night...

She sat in the chair in the room, almost awash with tears; her first recital in a way. Korngold was so romantic; her mother had played many of his themes as lullabies when she was little. But tonight, it was all about her audience. She tried not to open her eyes; she was so used to playing with the instrument 'singing to her' as she was swept away. But tonight her eyes were wide open as she drank in not only the sweet melody of the music, but the sight of her love sitting but a few feet away. Gennie shook her head, not in surprise, since she knew how lovely a sound Lainie could coax from the violin. She just couldn't believe that such a gift was not only Lainie's, but now...in a way, hers as well. She put her hand to her face and began to weep. A moment later the music stopped and she felt the soft caress of a hand to her cheek...

"All mine..." the voice sang softly in her ear, followed by kisses, soft and sweet as the melody she had just heard.

"All mine..."

This concludes Book Three. Lainie’s story will continue in Book Four. In the meantime? Danni's Dream


Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35
composed by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
As performed by
Itzhak Perlman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILdsreAvDyc

Celtic Steps
Jean-Luc Ponty and Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-vpS2FaeM&feature=related

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Magic in the air...

Today is truly a magical day; two posting from my fav authoress!!! I particularly love these women since they 'play' so well. What a wonderfully emotional piece!!!

Da Brat...again

The Excitement Builds

littlerocksilver's picture

'Drea

I am excitedly waiting for the music that the three will make together. You have me wondering what it will be. I made my guess a while ago. Now, I will just enjoy the wait.

Portia

Portia

It is so lovely

ALISON

'to wake up to a sweet story from 'Drea and to know that our "Lil' Brat " is around again.

ALISON

Three Girls - Chapter 12

That girl has many wonderful friends and a sweet Lover . What more can she ask for?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

"All mine..."

excellent! what more can I say?

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Well executed and a

Well executed and a marvelous read!!! Kudo kiddo!!!

Trish

Good one!!

Pamreed's picture

Lainie is lucky, she has the support of those that have been coaching her!!
And to find someone to love is really wonderful!! Andrea you made my day happier
thank you!!!

Hugs,
Pamela