Something Feels Strange - 6

Printer-friendly version
Something Feels Strange…

Feels Strange

I look over at mom for answers. I see that she is smiling.

"You look beautiful sweetheart." She says. "Too bad it is time to give you to someone else for a season."

It is time for answers. I just hope that the answers don't lead to more questions!


Chapter 6: Explanations & Decisions


It is 3:30am, Sunday morning. My mother and I are sitting in a room at a Hampton Inn in the next valley east of my home town. I have just heard a tale that is beyond the imagination. I now have a decision to make.

After we left Sam's beauty salon, mom began the tale as we headed east on the Interstate, past our town and over the hills into the next valley. It took only half an hour to reach the hotel. We only got half way, at best, through the story in that time.

The driver, introduced simply as Joe, appears to be some kind of body guard. He helped carry up two suitcases and a large book pack to the room. The suitcases are the two we purchased last week. Surprise! -- Not! -- They must be mine. Mom carries her own overnight bag.

After Joe helped us into the hotel, he went back to the parking lot. He parked the car in a far corner where he had a good view of the lot.

In the hotel room, the story continued. Any thoughts of sleep were banished from my mind and body as the story unfolded. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And I only have about half an hour left before I have to make some kind of decision.

So what is the story? It would take too long to recount the entire conversation. You wouldn't understand the details anyway without knowing the players. I will give you the summary version. It is long enough on its own.

Where do I begin? We'll start with the big picture.

First of all, there is some kind of espionage thing going on out at the Laboratory that is the major employer in our town. Important information about scientific advances that can be used for weapons development has been finding its way from the Lab to the Middle East and Afghanistan. It has been going on for some time but no one has been able to figure out who is obtaining the information or how the information is getting out. The Lab's security group has tried all sorts of electronic surveillance, analysis of computer network traffic, background checks, and placing undercover agents in the Lab to try and observe anyone around the people who are developing the information being stolen. The results have been very unsatisfactory. The agents were able to identify quite a few people who could be considered suspects, but never could they get close enough to any of them to tell if they were the ones. All sorts of new security procedures have been put into place, but they have done little more than slow down the traffic.

Frustration at the lack of progress in the investigation has forced the Lab’s security team to think outside the box. In a brain storming session last summer it was decided that what was needed was a new set of undercover agents to supplement the other detection methods.  The new agents would be people who would be overlooked by the spies who are orchestrating the espionage. The idea was hatched to use high school and college summer interns as undercover agents. The thought being that these people would not be considered a threat by those stealing the information and, as a result, would not be closely watched by the bad guys.

As the plan was discussed, a couple of obstacles became readily apparent.

First, college students could be suspected very easily of being agents as they are of a similar age to some of the agents sent in previously. Interns from appropriate scientific fields would be of great benefit. The advantage of college students is that they have a greater depth of knowledge and maturity than the high school students.  They also have much more technical knowledge than the agents used to date.  The down side of using college students is that whoever is stealing information might be wary of them as happened with the previous agents.

High school interns, on the other hand would be more likely to be overlooked as a threat because of their lack of knowledge and life experience. The spy may let his or her guard down around teenagers. The problem was to find a teenager who is brighter than average, but has a track record that would indicate otherwise, while still being completely trustworthy and committed to the project.  It is a given that high school students will be a lacking in the technical knowledge, particularly at the level seen at the Lab.

As discussions progressed, profiles for an ideal intern/agent were developed. Essential criteria included:

  • A record of mediocre or average performance that hides a keen intellect.
  • A strong work ethic.
  • Demonstrated commitment to principles of integrity.

Secondary criteria, characteristics that would be highly valued but are not essential include:

  • Very knowledgeable in the technical areas of concern.
  • An ability to work with and observe people.

On the high school level, an additional, non-essential, criterion was added: That of being a distance runner. This was done because three of the people on the current suspect list have children who run on the local high school's cross country and track teams. One boy and two girls. It was felt that a fellow runner might make a good connection with these families.

There are a number of people who fit most of the criteria, but it proved to be difficult to find someone who meets all the criteria, particularly since the first criterion is in conflict with the rest. It is easy to find bright kids who are under achievers, but they can't be counted on to achieve in an assignment like this because they can never be counted on to achieve anything.

The high school aged agents, it was felt, needed to be recruited locally, since it is not common to bring in high school age interns from far away. The problem with using local kids is that everyone local is pretty well known and had established community connections with people in the Lab.

The more the security team wrestled with the problem, the more hopeless it became: until someone hatched the idea that a person meeting all the intellectual and work ethic criteria could be disguised to appear as someone with a mediocre record. This new person needs to come from out of town so that they are a fresh face without a local track record. The best approach seemed to be an out of town relative of a local family. The final problem was transforming someone who met most the criteria into the new person that met all the criteria.   The transformation has to be very complete.  A simple disguise will be too risky.

The means for doing the transformation was found in very small and very secret research group at the Lab.

A group of scientists at the Lab are working with people purported to be in possession of magic.  The goal of the group is to find scientific explanations for magical phenomena. The hope is to develop means for allowing 'non-magical' people to accomplish tasks limited previously to those born with the power. This group - unofficially known as 'the Wizards' by those who are aware of their project - is making headway on a number of fronts, including the area of transformations. While the magic folk are able to do some amazing things, this group has agreed to stay with procedures that had been verified and/or replicated scientifically.  They have to be administered by non-magic folk. The current state of the art for the Wizards includes, among other things, complete physical transformations based on DNA models.

Their transformation methods are interesting in that only the body is changed. The intellectual and psychological characteristics are not changed. Neither is the age of the transformed person. The result is that the 'person' does not change, just their bodies. Essentially, the Wizards can concoct a DNA ‘potion’ - for lack of a better word - that will quickly change a person's physical system to match that specified by the DNA potion. This process involves some, as yet, unexplained violations of the scientific principles of conservation of mass and energy. The good news is that the process was completely reversible without physical harm to the individual.

The mental and emotional picture, however, is different. Experiments by the Wizards have shown that people often have a changed view of life after literally walking in someone else's shoes for a time. As Jim Croce once said in the song One less Set of Footsteps, "It is what we've done that makes us what we are". The experiences that a person has, regardless of the body that they are in, combine with their basic personality traits to make them what they are. It doesn't matter if some of those experiences were as a different person. They still get added to the basic character mix for the individual.

The details of the transformation process are sketchy. The security team, however, isn't interested in the process, just the results. They need to take a very highly qualified candidate and physically change them into another person who, to the rest of the world, does not appear to be all that capable or extraordinary. A perfect disguise for the desired intern/agent.

I hope you are following this. All this cloak and dagger stuff gets quite complicated. Very quickly.

The solution at which the security team arrived was to have someone visiting family for the summer to get the job. Someone who no one locally knows - someone like Kristina Jeffers.

Actually, Kristina Jeffers doesn't really exist, but she could be created to be the visiting relative of a Lab employee. Kristina could apply for a summer intern position at the Lab in order to stay busy during her visit.

Once the plan was agreed upon, a list of possible recruits was developed after gaining access to the local high school's records and those of several universities where there were people in place to evaluate the potential recruits.  (There are enough geeks at the Lab to hack into any information system.) The idea of the search being that the best fit individuals would be investigated and one or more chosen to be changed and hired on as a summer intern.

This is where the story gets personal for me.

Apparently, I met the high school criteria perfectly in every way, except in the mediocre performance department. My high grades, success as a Boy Scout, and dedication to running were all in my favor. Apparently there were three other people at our school that were considered good candidates as well. The problem was to find a way to look at each candidate in depth without them knowing. This is where Laurie enters the picture.

Mrs. Mercer, a part of the security team leadership, works undercover as an administrative assistant for one of the Lab's management team–as anyone in any organization will tell you, the administrative assistants know everything that is going on.  She is also part of the inner circle of the group putting this investigation together. With the approval of the team, she enlisted the aid of her daughter in checking out the potential recruits at our high school. Laurie's job was to get close to the final candidates and feed her assessments back to the security team via her mother. Laurie was not told why she was observing these people. She was just told that it was very important to national security. Her job was to gather information about the finalists that the security team could use to evaluate the suitability each candidate. She was also given some compensation for accomplishing her task.

Hence the reason why she was enrolled in the electronics and math courses. Neither of these were topics that she was particularly interested in, but it would allow her to observe me and at least one other candidate.

Apparently, it was decided in the first month of school that I was the best fit for the job. And I never even knew that I was interviewing for the job. Laurie was directed to do what she could to develop a relationship with me with the intent of making sure that I was really the type of person the team was looking for. As she did not have a boyfriend at the time, she agreed to give it a go.

Ouch! That revelation hurt and I felt very much the fool. She did her job well. I now need to spend some time reevaluating our relationship knowing its origins, but right now I have bigger things to consider.

Apparently, after dating me for several months, Laurie was able to give the security team enough information about me to make them absolutely convinced that I was ‘the man for the job’. Apparently, the team was thrilled that I was not a macho jerk or overly driven by my hormones to the point of distraction from my bigger goals. This unexpected bonus proved to be the deal clincher and made further decisions easier for the security team.

I should point out that similar searches at the college level proved fruitless. The end result is that the security team has pinned almost all of its hopes and plans on me. Mom tells me that there is another candidate that might fit the bill, but this person is a distant second choice.

Once I was identified as the best candidate, the team began ‘creating’ Kristina Jeffers.

It was decided, first of all, this new person would be visiting with the Mercers and that a girl was preferable to a boy. Depending on who the bad guys are, they might discount a mere girl as a threat. Also, a girl would more easily work into the Mercer household. My emotional attachment to Laurie would be a complication, particularly if I was there as a boy. It was felt that it would be easier for both Laurie and me if we took the boy/girl thing out of the picture.

Laurie, it turns out, is also getting an internship position this summer, but not with an intent to be an agent. She doesn't know about the espionage thing. Laurie would be the ticket to introductions that a girl from out of town would need. In the final analysis, being girl cousins made the most sense.

By happy coincidence–happy for the security team that is–Mrs. Mercer's sister is married to an Army officer whose unit is stationed at Fort Richardson in Alaska. Due to careful controls in the intelligence community, it turns out that the Lab's security team did not know until recently, that Major William (Bill) Jeffers was in military intelligence. In fact, Major Jeffers was one the people who originally discovered the information leak from the Lab during a raid conducted while he was deployed in Afghanistan. He and his lovely wife Polly have one teenage son, Tom–age seventeen going on eighteen. The family lives off post in Anchorage, Alaska.

Once all these coincidences were discovered, it was decided by the security team that Kristina would be the second child of Bill and Polly Jeffers. A birth certificate in the name of Kristina Marie Jeffers was created at the Martin Army Community Hospital at Ft. Benning, Georgia where Lt. Jeffers was stationed when Kristina would have been born. In addition, an academic record for this new young lady was created in at the local high school. She just finished her sophomore year with good, but not great, grades taking courses of moderate difficulty. She was on the cross country running team as well as the track team, but with mediocre results so that she did not stand out. There was some thought to adding her to the cross country ski team, but it was felt that it would be too difficult to train the new Kristina in this skill at the beginning of summer. They also filed a job application with the Lab on Kris's behalf.

Meanwhile, the Wizards collected DNA samples from the Mercers, myself, and the Jeffers to start concocting their potion. They also obtained some DNA from their backup candidate and worked up a potion for that person as well.

While the plans were being developed, I–on my own–had applied for work at the Boy Scout camp. This solved another problem for the security team. They were wondering how to make me disappear for the summer. My parents, while great supporters of Scouting, had originally wanted me to apply for an regular internship at the Lab thinking that it would be better experience for me than the camp. In early March, my father was brought into the loop by the security team to see if permission and assistance could be gained from my parents for their recruitment plan. At first neither parent was overly thrilled by the proposal of losing me to this project, but dear old Dad finally realized that his work was in jeopardy and that this experience would not only help his project but at the same time give me some experience more valuable than anyone could possibly imagine. Also, if the Lab were to lose the information that the spies were looking for, many innocent people might be hurt. Mom agreed with the value of the experience and the need for action. She also confided in me, that she felt that experience in the female world could only help me be a better man. In the end, they agreed to help. That was about the time that they began supporting my summer plans with more enthusiasm.

The original timetable had the security team contacting me to explain the situation and enlist my help when Dad took me to camp. They arranged for all my camp correspondence to show an arrival date one week before the camp was actually set to begin. The team, including my parents, were fully confident of my willing participation after the essentials were communicated to me. The week before camp started would give them time to convince me to join them, do the transformation, and get me appropriately outfitted and ready to work.  They felt that it was important to not bring me in the loop until the very last minute–something about keeping things quiet.  If they were unsuccessful in recruiting me, then I could continue on to camp and they could move to plan B.

During the recruitment phase, they had no intention of going into the depth of detail that I am getting tonight. I am getting the full story now because, like all good plans, something had gone awry and they needed to gain my cooperation quickly.  That something wrong occurred half a world away in Afghanistan.

In another raid, Army Rangers found evidence that the insurgents are desperate for more specific information to be obtained from the Lab and are putting extreme pressure on their agents to get it. Quickly.

This development caused panic with the security team leader. The leader wanted to get Kristina in place faster. The 'accident' in Alaska was staged two days after the Ranger's raid in Afghanistan to give urgent reason for Kristina to be sent away to stay with her aunt and cousin in California. In fact they felt the need to get her to California that same weekend. Someone in the decision tree was very panicky. This created an infinite number of problems for the planning arm of the security team as they had no good plan for my disappearance at the start of finals week. While they tried to sort that out, the team (including my parents) decided that they would at least outfit me so that I would be in position if things really got out of hand. After all, everything was reversible and it was guaranteed that I would have the final say in my participation before being fully committed to the project. After all, they had high confidence in my cooperation after doing personality profiles on me all winter.

Yet again things happened differently than had been planned. The original plan called for me to be recruited and go through the transition in a facility in another town. I would have had a staff of people to assist with obtaining clothes and learning the basics of girlhood for a whole week. – "Like they think that would be enough time? Must have been a man that dreamed that up!" my mom remarked. - I could do the transformation and training away from the eyes of the world.

Laurie did not show up at school that Friday because she became part of the planning on how to move this project along. She provided information about my personality to the staff psyche people who affirmed that I probably wouldn't flip out if helped by people who I knew and trusted.

The Wizard group had had their work done for weeks so they were brought in to do their deed. No one knew for sure what size I would be when transformed so they needed me there for the shopping. It all had to be done in one night so that I could get transported to Alaska on Saturday so that I could catch a flight back to California as if I was coming from there, with the normal luggage of a teen girl. They suspected that the spies would do at least a mild background check on anyone new showing up at the Lab, so they wanted a verifiable trail of events leading up to Kristina's arrival.

There being no time to take me to a neighboring town for the shopping experience and knowing that I would be totally disoriented, it was decided that a big box store in town was just the ticket. All they needed was to get me some private time in the store. Marla's employment at one such store made things easier, since it allowed the outfitters to all be people who I know. The security team contacted the store manager to make the arrangements, citing national security needs without revealing the details. The result was totally free access to the store for the night. I later discovered that there were several Lab security people protecting the store while we were there, hence the lack of concern about security that night by the women.

Details of the actual transformation are pretty sketchy. Mom wasn't totally up on it, but she knew that it was important that I be asleep when they administered the potion. As they knew I was an early-to-bed kind of guy, everyone waited until I went to sleep and then somehow administered the potion. Mom didn't see how it was done. It is all top secret you know. The actual transformation process took about an hour.

When done, I was in a trance-like state that allowed them to move me more or less under my own power to the store. Laurie and a security guard took me over to the store while the two mothers enlisted Marla's help without giving her too much detail. Laurie and a Lab security person had taken me to the Junior's section and left me there while Laurie went back to see the security guard out and to prop the door open for the rest of my helpers. I snapped out of the trance while she was gone. You know what happened in the store. The potion that I was given was of short duration. It was known to last only six hours at the most. I reverted back into the trance-like state about half an hour before my body started to return to its normal state. They found it best to get me home before the change initiated. The good news is that the shopping trip was at the Lab's expense.

Oh... and the pajama thing at the end of the evening: the assembled group had felt more comfortable changing me into my pajamas while I was still female and semi able to help. Hence the rush. After I went into the trance, they were able to lead me out to a waiting car behind the building. The security staff got me tucked into bed where the transformation was monitored by a team from the Wizards group.

While we were having our fun in the store that night, cooler heads prevailed in the security agencies and it was decided stick to the original time schedule, with some modifications.  The urgent need to bring Kristina to town was abandoned.

Analysis of my responses during the shopping excursion showed a 90% probability that I would go along with the plan once I understood the scope of the details. They also felt that I did not need to know of the plan yet as there was still hope that they could catch the culprit on their own without my help and could then pull the plug on the operation. They hoped that the spy or spies would make some kind of a slip since they are under increased pressure to produce results. That did not happen.

Laurie and her mother went to Alaska yesterday to get ready to introduce me, or my backup, to the life of Kristina Marie Jeffers in Alaska in preparation for her debut in California. The powers that be decided that the physical transformation needed to be completed tonight so that I could get to Alaska as soon as possible as Kristina. Hence, the beauty shop. As far as getting ready goes, I had a basic set of clothes, I just needed the polishing. They couldn’t arrange a 3am appointment, so the hair came before the explanation.  They had great faith in my positive response to their recruitment.

After tonight's transformation process was complete, Mom and Marla managed to get me in the new girl clothes. Mom and Joe quickly got me to the salon while I was still in the trance. Samantha mistook the trance for abuse of a chemical substance–in a way, she was right.

Actually, the week’s wait was probably good for the security team’s cause. My brain had had time to digest the short experience of being female. This new experience became a part of me, like it or not. I couldn't shake the feeling that I had missed an opportunity. It was rather like eating one potato chip–it is hard to eat just one. That first one makes you want to continue the experience until you are satisfied. I am not satisfied. My curiosity about experiencing a girl's life, temporarily, has grown as I have reflected more about the experience. In the back of my mind, I had resolved to focus more on the feelings and sensations if it were to ever happen again.

Did you get all that? No wonder they didn't want to describe all this in the store! The summary took too long to get out. The whole story had taken a couple of hours of discussion with mother dear.

So. Here I sit in a hotel room with my mother. There is a team of people waiting out there in the parking lot for me to accept the job. I only have a little time left before I revert to the trance-like state which leads to the return to Christopher Quinn. With smooth legs and shapely eye brows. I need to decide which way to go before that happens.

If I join the team, specialists from the Wizard group will come in and work some kind of magic that will set me in this body until they release me. That will be either until the spies are caught or the second week of August when Scout camp gets out–whichever comes first.

If I choose not to join the team, I get an all expense paid vacation at a mountain lodge where I can spend the rest of the week running, hiking and fishing until I have to report to Scout camp, with smooth legs and arched eye brows.

Even though the job sounds like fun, I feel as if I've been set up–manipulated. That does not go down very well. Even though mother has painted a fairly reasonable picture for justifying the manipulation, it still bothers me. A lot. Particularly Laurie's role in the matter. I really need to spend some time thinking about that.

On second thought, one definition of 'manipulated' as found on the web is "exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage." If the story is to be believed, I think that manipulation only occurred the two times I found myself female. Leading up to that, I was deceived by Laurie all year, but the security people were only assessing me up to that point, not influencing me. In a way, I should feel honored that I was evaluated and found to match such high criteria. If it wasn't for the imposed gender change, I would have been flattered to have been selected for this job.

As far as the forced gender changes go, I can almost see why they did it, given the circumstances.  I might even have done the same thing if put in the same situation.  I do think that the head of security needs to learn how to avoid panicked responses.

At least they got parental permission. And parents are universally known for forcing their kids into all sorts of character building experiences.  No one (except for the child) really sees that as a gross violation of personal rights. Maybe I should view this event as such a situation. After all, Mom tells me that I can bail out now if I want to. Apparently the team knows that if I don't go into this willingly, then the project will fail.

Well... let me look at the situation objectively, ignoring the unapproved gender change.

Here is my analysis of the pros and cons:

Pros:

  • This job sounds pretty exciting. A lot more exciting than teaching knots to twelve year-old Boy Scouts.
  • The compensation, which I forgot to mention above, is very attractive.
  • I get to help save the world (well maybe not completely, but innocent people may benefit from my employment.)
  • I don't have to go too far from home this summer.
  • I get to live with my (soon to be former, maybe) girlfriend for the summer, unfortunately, not in the manner that I would have liked. This has both a positive and a negative connotation.  That is why you will find this entry in the cons section.
  • I get to munch on more potato chips (metaphorically speaking). That is, I'll be able to satisfy my growing curiosity about life as a girl.
  • This is only a temporary arrangement.
  • I still get to run. Did I mention that, to me, running is life? I know that I forgot to mention that the Wizards managed to mix in some running genes from some accomplished female runners into the DNA mix. Sounds sort of like an unfair advantage for me, but I'll take it as part of the compensation package.

Cons:

  • I'll have to spend the summer working indoors.
  • I'll have to live with my former girlfriend. We will have to resolve a few issues for that to work.
  • I don't get a chance to be totally on my own for the summer. Mom and Dad will still be there looking over my shoulder, so to speak. As you can tell, I have mixed feelings about being away from home.
  • I'm not sure that I trust the group that is controlling this charade. It is obvious that they only feed what they feel is need-to-know information to the participants. And I am low on the need-to-know list. I am sure that there are things that they are not telling me that I will wish that I had known later.

When I consider the list, the pros look like they far outweigh the cons. But then you have to consider the recruiting methods. I get a bit unhappy with the whole thing when I think in that direction.

I wonder how I would have responded if their original recruitment plan had been followed? That is an interesting question. I think that I might have gone with it. The adventure sounds exciting. The chance to make a difference is enticing. So is the compensation. As they discovered during the assessment phase, I am not a macho jerk so even the female stuff would be an interesting adventure, although I doubt that I will advertise having had the experience once it is over. The fact that I qualified for a great opportunity would have been flattering. Yes, I would probably have accepted the job.

Still, I find it hard to accept the deception and manipulation of the last week and a half. But is that enough to keep me from this adventure–and the money?

As I contemplate the issues, I feel a weary feeling welling up from the depths of my soul. I know that time is short.

"Mom?" I ask, "will you watch out for me?"

"Yes, sweetheart, I will. I and a lot of other people will be watching out for you." She replies. "All you need to do is call and help will be there."

I lie down on the double bed that I have been sitting on throughout our long chat. I feel convinced that I am about to do the right thing. People are depending on me. I want to see if I can pull this off.

"Okay Mom. Call in the Wizards. I'll do it." I manage to get out before fading into a comfortable sleep.

-------------------------------------

Thanks again for Gabi's wonderful assistance in cleaning up this work.  As I did not implement all her suggestions, don't blame her for mistakes missed!

 

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Here it is... SOME of the answers you seek.

TiffQ's picture

To all that are still following Chris's adventure,

It is time to satisfy your frustration. I hope that this helps.

Just so you know. I, personally, am more interested in Chris's discovery of things feminine than I am in the big mystery. That is the reason for all the detailed savoring of his/her new feminine experiences. I have wanted to write, in detail, about these topics for some time. I want to explore what a nice kid would think and feel if he suddenly found himself with the opportunity to experience the other side of the gender fence. I realize that that is not everyone's cup of tea, but that is what will be happening in future chapters.

As you can tell, Chris is a good kid. He has not been harboring any hidden desire to be female and he has not been subjected to harsh treatment in his life that would cause him to seek an escape from what is. He is just a good kid with an unusual opportunity. I intend to follow him through this unique situation. I hope that you will join me.

The mystery and suspense will be there too. Maybe not as strong as up to this point, but it will be there.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. They have helped a lot.

Best wishes for the New Year to all.

With love...

Tiff Q

Tiff Q

Ummm ... How could Laurie evaluate Chris ...

... for the job without knowing about the espionage aspects? I mean, what sort of job involves transforming a high school boy into a girl for a summer and passing him off as a cousin? All she knew was that it was "important to national security?" I'm afraid I don't have quite that level of trust in government -- I would really have to know why before deceiving some poor boy by pretending to be his girlfriend before tossing him headfirst into the female end of the gene pool.

And yes, Chris agreed to take the job. Just as I thought, too nice a guy to say no to the chance to do some good. *sigh*

I'm still not liking any of them much, except for Chris ... but I'm disliking Laurie more. i don't care if she eventually fell in love with him after deceiving him. The whole plot makes my skin crawl -- and, yes, Chris, I don't trust the people in charge either.

Keep writing, Tiff. It's good stuff, or I wouldn't care as much for Chris as I do.

Randalynn

Is Kristina a Transman as a result of the Wizard's process?

I ask the question after Kristina's summary of what is happening in this chapter.

"Their transformation methods are interesting in that only the body is changed. The intellectual and psychological characteristics are not changed. Neither is the age of the transformed person. The result is that the 'person' does not change, just their bodies. Essentially, the Wizards can concoct a DNA ‘potion’ - for lack of a better word - that will quickly change a person's physical system to match that specified by the DNA potion. This process involves some, as yet, unexplained violations of the scientific principles of conservation of mass and energy. The good news is that the process was completely reversible without physical harm to the individual.

The mental and emotional picture, however, is different. Experiments by the Wizards have shown that people often have a changed view of life after literally walking in someone else's shoes for a time. As Jim Croce once said in the song One less Set of Footsteps, "It is what we've done that makes us what we are". The experiences that a person has, regardless of the body that they are in, combine with their basic personality traits to make them what they are. It doesn't matter if some of those experiences were as a different person. They still get added to the basic character mix for the individual."

It sounds like the brain is isolated from any of the changes that the potion makes in order to achieve what Kristina describes. It is well accepted that even though the mechanism isn't clear on how it happens prenatally, that a transman is created when someone with a female body has a male brain. Since gender resides in the mind, there is a need to transform the body to conform with the brain gender since transforming the brain itself is not within the capabilities of our current state of medical science and hence the Harry Benjamin standards of care were enacted to treat that condition.

I'm in the midst of exploring the concept from the other side of the coin. I postulate the surgical creation of a transwoman in my new novel, Arresting Development. The condition that I describe in that fictional creation of my story has not been encountered in an actual person so it is very much science fiction just like this transformation process is in your story that was used on Kristina.

I like others care about Kristina, the character that you have created. If it doesn't compromise the story that you intend to tell, I would very much like to see if my understanding at least matches Kristina's understanding, wheather or not that is actually true.

If Kristina's understanding is not what actually happens in the process, that is that Kristina has a complete transformation body and mind to being female. Another Sci Fi concept of scanning a brain and storing the state of it prior to the transformation and then recording that information on another brain could initially lead to most of the preservation that Kristina understands happens. However since a female brain lacks a part of the brain that develops only in males which is responsible for male gender, some of the recorded information for that portion of the brain would have to be relocated to another unused part of the brain or lost altogether. The result would be that even if starting out like a transman, Kristina would in fact be a ordinary female. Having a female brain would lead to psychological changes due to Kristina's actual gender being switched from male to female as a result of the process over time.

I guess that it will become apparent what the actual methodology is at work once we see how Kristina's mind expresses gender in your chapters that follow but it would be nice to know if I got it right if that would not give the plot away.

All my hopes,
Ariel Montine

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

Transman works

TiffQ's picture

In Chris's case, when he became Kris, his entire physical system, brain structure and all, became 100% female. His 'mind' (meaning memories, personality, knowledge, ways of thinking, etc), at the transformation, were somehow retained in the new brain. What does this mean as far as how (or if) he transforms into a mental she over the summer remains to be seen.

More to come... Thanks for reading!

Tiff Q

Tiff Q

Fine by me

Just so you know. I, personally, am more interested in Chris's discovery of things feminine than I am in the big mystery. That is the reason for all the detailed savoring of his/her new feminine experiences.

...I realize that that is not everyone's cup of tea, but that is what will be happening in future chapters.

Sounds very reasonable. Reminds me of a conversation I had recently.

"I don't like James Bond films; they're just a bunch of action scenes."
"Yeah, but that's interesting to some people."
"Oh. Right."

Nothing wrong with writing that has a narrow focus. Some people will turn up their noses at it; others will be interested in every detail.

Hmmmm.... Talk about your twisted plot

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Tiff,

Thank you for explaining, though it might take a day or three to get my head to stop spinning. I must admit your story universe is a little 'out there', but to date seems 'internally consistent' which is the important thing when writing a story.

I - DO - like the story thus far, I'm now waiting to see how Kris and Laura will get along. I - KNOW - how - I - would like them to get along. {BAD GIRL BAD GIRL!!! Don't you suggest your filthy, lascivious, erotic, lesbian fantasies onto poor unsuspecting Tiff!!!!!}

Please post more soon? (Even if it won't fulfil my sicko fantasies.)

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Suspension of disbelief

Can't do it. Laboratory-grade magic potions, spells to 'fix' the transformation - no.

At least they got parental permission. And parents are universally known for forcing their kids into all sorts of character building experiences. No one (except for the child) really sees that as a gross violation of personal rights.

Talk about rationalizations! I wouldn't give that argument any consideration at all, even on a cold day in hell.

I'll have to live with my former girlfriend. We will have to resolve a few issues for that to work.

A few issues? One very necessary ingredient in a relationship is trust. Even if Laurie has actually fallen for Chris, there is no way he can ever trust her again.

I hope when this is all over with, Chris can go back to being himself. At that point, he should take his 'compensation' package and get as far away as he can from his parents, as well as Laurie and her mom.

Tiff, you write very well, and I'm sure many people are going to love this story. I can't.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Interesting

When I read this, I found about a middle, that this story would make a good gamebook with all the choices, that character would need to make...

As it is, I hope another part will be here soon.
Robin

I Love

that Laurie is a set-up, as if it wasn't clear. Let's do the math...High school boy plus high school girl one year older equals "You're outa yer freakin mind if you want a date with me, even if this is the 21st century". Some things don't change and Laurie may report on Chris's in-class activities, but dating. NOT!

Gee Wally, don't you think the Beaver would like to do that. They even have a Magican. Duh! Why?

This is like a bad episode of 1950s television. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a Commie under the bed?

TIFF, you have created a Master Piece. I will read more cause I am HOOKED. Uh, you're not in politics are you?

How come "Getting killed and perhaps in a horrible way" isn't ..

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... added to Chris's "con" list. It's very likely to happen if Kristina gets caught. The parents seem pretty blase' about that possibility.

I hope Kristia and Laurie don't immediately become girlfriends. In fact, I hope he tells her to go to hell and doesn't listen to any sweet talk explanations. It would be interesting to throw their adversarial relationship into the mix. Girls get mean with each other all the time, so this would fit in with Chris's feminine experience.

I wish, at the end he had prefaced his "OK, Mom ... I'll do it." with a strong statement of his resentment at being manipulated, such as, "I really, really don't like how all this was done to me, and I resent your and Dad's part in it, but ..."

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

pretty much

kristina l s's picture

Not sure that getting killed is all that likely, but it is possible. Hey, the family would get a flag probably. As for for dear Laurie, maybe not outright bitchiness, I doubt Kris has the ability, but decidedly cool, oh yeah.

I agree too that Chris should have given voice to the dislike of the manipulation and exploitation of his good nature and trust. Still, he's a teenage kid and this is a grand adventure albeit a bit out there. And how can it not affect Chris to live as Kris for months, particularly at this age when everything is so malleable.

Nice work Tiff, even if the whole espionage thing is a bit far fetched it gives a basis, keep it comin'.

Kristina

Jezzi, you forgot a couple BIG cons ...

What if after the summer the mental effects of this make his return to a boy difficult or impossible. I mean, look at the first week, after just six hours as a girl he was evaluating women for their fashion sense! And Laurie noticed that. My god, he'll be in essence a *fairy queen* by the end of summer and that will be an integrated part of his mental makeup. No harm, unchanged, are you mad?

So add to the con list: long term/possibly permanent damage to his sexual preference/sexual and personal identify.

Mom’s almost flippant comment about it will make him a better man for it? Fine mom, lets turn you into a male longshoreman for a summer and see if it makes you a better woman. That they took genetic materials from multiple women worries me, it may make charging him back harder. That and his potato chip analogy akin to the Jays Potato chip slogan – “Bet you can’t eat just one.” This suggests multiple exposure to this *safe* *reversible* spell/potion will make it harder to change her back to him or may even make him spontaneously revert to Kristin, think Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

And with all these leaks in the lab i worry about those things the *wizards* can do to set the potion/to make it essentially permanent until, *they* remove it. What if the nasties learn of this plan and put another spell on her or use a potion to make a transformation back impossible or potentially lethal somehow? What if the wizards are infiltrated or killed? Also with the leaks and the panicky security people what are the odds Chris’s real identity will leak and she’ll be stuck as a woman as a sort of Witness Protection Program?

So add: risk reversal back to manhood may not work as advertised or may be sabotaged.

Laruie must know more than Chris's mom said she did, how could she evaluate him accurately otherwise? Maybe she had a check list but still. I’d say that romance is dead dead dead.

I hope he does the job, gets changed back unharmed and successfully reintegrates to being a man and not some twisted echo of who he was. At that point I say take the money and run and F**K his family and Lauie, her a**hole mom and the rest of these idiots, his sister included. Teenage agents, are we mad? That’s almost as bad as using innocents as living bombs..

Very good stuff so far, but I fear Chris will not come out of this experience even vaguely his former self and likely not the better off for it except for some money. I fear he or she will have to hide all his life. Hell even the *good guys* may be a risk to his freedom. They will want their secrets kept so it is quite possible either they never let her go or they kill him. As to the parents, hey so long as dad’s job is safe he’s cool with the crazy plan and mom was conned by the patriotism angle and her own idea it will make him a better man and better with the women. We see one likely effect already; he will envy their clothing or end up a woman’s fashion expert.

Aaah, run for your life and manhood, Chris!

About the only new pro points are, if he secretly is TG this is nirvana for him but we have no evidence of that prior to the manipulation of him. The one real pro point is maybe he will prove a natural at being agent and will choose that willingly as his/her career, wearing multiple bodies over the years but still remaining Chris at heart. But since the experiences of every change will become part of him that route may slowly *kill* the essence of Chris and replace it with a new and constantly changing composite personality.

Nice yarn but as you said, this one may attract a narrow audience. It already pushes many of my *buttons* but I will hang in there. I am willing to ride this coaster for a while longer to see. Thankyou for going down this risky road as a writer. Best of luck.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not as odd as you may think

"Teenage agents, are we mad?"

One odd historical fact that Chris would be well aware of: The Boy Scouts was originally a (civilian) program to teach pre-teen and teenage boys the necessary skills (and attitudes) to serve as cavalry scouts. The justifications have changed, but much of the program still shows signs of those roots (even after the takeover by elements of the Religious Right - another story entirely).

By Chris' age, most of those boys who are not tempramentally suited to the paramilitary elements of the program have gone on to other activities. Not that the troops are deliberately weeding them out; they just tend to find other activities more attractive.

Whether he is aware of it or not, Chris has a well developed sense of duty and a skill set that would give him some advantages in such a role.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

Scouting history

One odd historical fact that Chris would be well aware of: The Boy Scouts was originally a (civilian) program to teach pre-teen and teenage boys the necessary skills (and attitudes) to serve as cavalry scouts.

I was a scout years ago, and this wasn't familiar to me. I Googled the history of the BSA, and there is no mention of training for cavalry scouts. In any event, the Boy Scouts of America were incorporated on Feb. 10th, 1911, which in that period of time had little need for cavalry scouts.

For those of us who grew up in the Bartlesville, OK area, we had the unique pleasure of having "Pop" Brewer as ranger of Camp McClintock, which is west of Bartlesville. He belonged to one of the first (if not the first) Boy Scout troops in America. He was appointed after the death of his wife in 1948 to the position of Camp Ranger for the camp, in recognition of the considerable contributions he made to scouting. You'd be camping out on a nippy Friday or Saturday night when up he'd amble, banjo case in hand For the next hour or two he'd sit there, pluck on that banjo, and tell stories from the early days of scouting. A genuinely decent and honorable man who could play a pretty mean banjo!

But anyway, I can't find any such training in the BSA, perhaps the parent organization in the U.K. on which American scouting was based had something like that, but I don't believe the U.S. program did.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Scouting's Origins were in the Boar War

Karen, The Boy Scouts of America may well have started in 1911, but please remember that the original Boy Scouts were formed by Baden-Powell in 1907. It was from his Boar War experiences of sending boys on scouting missions that the Boy Scout movement had its origins.

[Quote] “Lord Robert Baden-Powell of Gilwell (1857-1941) was a decorated soldier, talented artist, actor and free-thinker. Best known during his military career for his spirited defense of the small South African township of Mafeking during the Boer War, he was soon to be propelled to extraordinary fame as the Founder of Scouting.

He had been impressed during the siege at how boys had used their initiative under pressure to make themselves useful and capitalize on limited resources. Already thinking of developing a training programme for young people Britain, he was urged by friends to re-write his handbook for soldiers (Aids to Scouting) for this younger audience.

In 1907 he held an experimental camp on Brownsea Island, Poole, Dorset, to try out his ideas. He brought together 20 boys, some from public schools and some from working class homes, and put them into camp under his leadership. The whole world now knows the results of that camp.” [Unquote]

For fuller details check

http://scouts.org.uk/cms.php?pageid=129&gclid=CM-8nb6G65cCFU...

Gabi

Hooray, today is Hogmanay!

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Not applicable

The two organizations, Boy Scout Association in the U.K. and the Boy Scouts of America, have no shared heritage. The only thing the two groups had in common was a name, BSA, and a borrowed book on organizing young boys. The BSA in the USA was set-up along entirely different lines. At best, the two organizations were cousins. In fact, Baden-Powell borrowed some of the work of an American, Ernest Thompson Seton, when he was setting up the British Scouting movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Boy_Scouts_of_Am...

All this is applicable because Chris is member of the Boy Scouts of America. So there is no historical military background that applies to him.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Volunteering

Just remember that David Webb was a willing volunteer too. Jason Bourne came to regret that decision.

And that other old favorite: “We're from the government and we're here to help you.”

Michelle B

Patience is.....

... widely touted as a virtue. Sometimes it’s just an excuse for not doing anything, other times it actually works pretty well. So far in our comments sections, patience has nearly met its match; we “fans” seem to have a tendency that likens us to the suspect “security team” that tends to panic before settling down to careful analysis of the problem (or non-problem) at hand.

When Tiff (finally? -- Is chapter 5 really such a long time to wait? -- What would your English teachers have said?) gave us the background on the whole convoluted scheme, why we digest that and come up with more “but if..s” than ya can shake a stick at. [If anyone would like real-world scenarios to compare this to, you might check out the security breaches at Los Alamos, N.Mex., where our most secret (I suppose) nuclear research is carried out. -- There’ve been a bunch of major blunders out there over the past 20 years. And what do you suppose plans and security were like for the original atom bomb development. The films I’ve seen on PBS at least hint at some of this stuff. You can quite easily imagine what screw-ups they’re never going to make public.]

As for Laurie and Chris’ trust for her -- even he is not sure how this is going to develop, and he seems to be willing to give her something of a chance. Now my spouse and I have done pretty well together for the past 50 years, but there have been some poignant (?) moments when all hell might have broken loose and dire things said that could never have been retracted. And yet we soldier (lovingly) on.

I hope no one is disturbed by the above three paragraphs. Not meaning to be real critical or snobbish, honest. I’ve not really had the Top Shelf of Big Closet much in my sights until recently (and it’s not hard to figure out why). But this system of ‘right out in the open’ comments has really caught my fancy. They’re right there just begging to be read and I’m kind of making friends who don’t even know it yet. Neat people, y’all.

Leah

Excessive Exposition

Wow. Speaking strictly to the presentation style of the story, a diversion into that much exposition... I've never seen anything quite like it. Lists and bullet-points. What is this? A PowerPoint presentation?

Obviously, you've thought a lot about your plot, and about any possible holes in it, and about how to patch them. Fine. But geez... Isn't there a more story-friendly way to present it? Does every single detail have to be covered in a single soliloquy?

Oh, well. At least that's out of the way now. On with the story!

Suspension of disbelief

I really like the story. It is pleasant and not too violent. My only problem with it is the idea that our government could cooperate with out getting things, all screwed up!

MUAHHHHHHHAAAAAA!

Yay!

Now we find some answers.

I'm liking Chris/Kris more and more. While he has much to complain about, he is doing what he believes to be the right thing instead of pouting about the way he was recruited.

How does one recruit for a cloak-and-dagger operation, anyhow? I used to have a security clearance when I was in the army, so the whole need to know stuff doesn't faze me.

I am a bit disappointed that his girlfriend was pursuing him for other than personal/relationship reasons, but I'm not surprised. The fact that she was unfazed by his transformation, and the way she carried on business as usual in the intervening week is a good clue.

So, we're in for a good SF/magic story -- as advertised. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Ray Drouillard

Well

this reads like a legal brief, with all the mysterious gobbledygook that goes round in circles. But this is a very interesting chapter, since I had had a feeling that Kris' transformation had something to do with things going on at the lab. I am behind in reading this story, but I will finish it.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

A Triple Whammy

Of an explanation. Tiff, you have a most interesting story, here. I don't know if I should look foe Bond, or the SRU Wizard. But I wonder if she was coerced by a sneaky means?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

he didn't think about the

he didn't think about the consequences of what happens if the wizards get killed and he can't change back

Hmmmm,

Sara Hawke's picture

I know this is an old story, but since it is reposted I feel I need to lay in my two cents. Now where are they ah there...

No. That is the answer I would give right off of the top of my head without even thinking about it. Believing it a dream well I have had a few and this is one of them, but no way would he be that naïve and be a straight A student. To have such a sense of duty and responsibility. A boy scout talking about shaving like he was proud of the fact. The normal mores a teen is setting in stone right about then and that he is nearing eighteen with no experience of the other side and enough fear of the other side not even look at porn. He is not a girl or so deep in the closet that it will take this to make him realize it.

His total acceptance is a bit out there. Mad furious he should be and again No. Mad at his parents, mad at his sister, mad at his fake girlfriend mad at the people who were lied to, to bring him to the point he is in now. A very phycological trick is being played on him as he is now a girl so he might as we experiment with the whole being a girl thing.

Pro side of this is that I would say no to the spying but not staying as a girl.
The first realization that I was a girl would not be letting everything happen around me like it did. There would have been no fashion show a total mental break down and a rapid level denial as I tried to escape the dream. so this became real. Then again I just knew I was weird back then at that age. Really wish I had the knowledge I have now not that it would have helped much, but I never know.

Totally different than any of the other writing styles so it fits this story.
Put this on another level and the plain acceptance the boy has bring him to another level naïve and totally fluid. The shear act to experience is the pure motivator here and nothing else matters.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Consulting an Attorney

Daphne Xu's picture

Under ordinary circumstances, I'd suggest consulting an attorney. (How many times have I said this?) There are several issue against this, though. Chris should probably find a way to sneak out without Mom, Dad, and any Laboratory agents knowing. Also, he has limited funds, although he might be able to consult legal services for the poor -- although the best they could probably do is refer him to a national-security specialist.

I think that the primary benefit of consulting an attorney is to get an outside, perhaps non-fearful, non-confused, clear-headed perspective of the situation.

The primary thing against this is that he'd be telling about being transformed into a girl. The attorney might refer him to a psychiatrist instead, or worse.

Myself, I'd want to stay as far away from that laboratory as possible, to avoid being trapped by its security classifications. I'm cynical about security classification and state secrets in general.

"I doubt that I will advertise having had the experience once it is over." Yeah, the classified top-secret designation isn't needed for him to keep it a secret. His friends, and others will probably think that he went off to camp as a junior counselor. I hope he doesn't have to give his experiences at camp.

-- Daphne Xu

Nope

RobertaME's picture

So here I am, reading this story 12 years after the fact. The beginning intrigued me, simply based on the way it was written to get so far in without having any clue as to how or why any of it was happening. That alone made reading on worthwhile, in spite of every instinct in my head screaming at me that what they were doing to him was EVIL... and I don't use that term lightly. I should have trusted my instincts.

The first evil done to him was at the hands of the people who were supposed to put his well-being above their own; his parents. Being a mother of two boys, I cannot fathom the selfishness of Chris's parents, to put their research or even the safety of others above the safety and well-being of their own child. A parent's first duty is to see to it that their children don't come to harm. That includes emotional, psychological, and physical harm, and his parents violated all three. I'll detail out each point:

1st Violation: Emotional Trauma
Letting Laurie lead him on the way she did, especially at such a young and impressionable age, would not only definitely cause him severe emotional harm, it could very well lead to never trusting another woman again... and his parents agreed to let this happen to him. Sure, we all get our hearts broken, most of us when we're still teens, but I don't know a single loving parent that wouldn't rip off their own arm to take that pain away from their child if they could. And his parents actually set him up for intentional heartbreak? Doing that to him was EVIL.

2nd Violation: Psychological Trauma
Chris is a very good and trusting boy and his parents know it. Yes, as a parent I've sometimes made my children do things they didn't want to for their own good. I made them learn a musical instrument, get their vaccinations, go to school, brush their teeth, go to the dentist, and a thousand other things that I knew in the long run would benefit them. I even made my younger son ride a roller coaster that terrified him after he was in an auto accident, because I knew he needed to get over that trauma. They did it because they trusted that I'd sooner kill myself than make them do something that would hurt them. Never in a million years would any loving parent abuse the trust Chris has in his loved ones the way his parents did. He trusted them to not do anything to him that wasn't important for his interests. He was wrong. His mother knew that if they pushed him hard enough, pressed the right emotional buttons, they could make him agree to almost anything... and his psychological profile as much as said he would. After this, the psychological damage of being so used and abused may well lead him to never trust anyone ever again, to say nothing of the damaging effects of a boy being forced to live as a girl for three months, or the way he rationalized their abuse like a battered child. Parents are universally known for forcing their kids into all sorts of character building experiences? Since when is being forced to change sex 'character building'? Courts have ruled that 'petticoat punishment' is abuse, and rightly so. And last time I checked, Chris wasn't in need of having his character built in this way. (nor anyone else, for that matter) Abusing his trusting nature that way was EVIL.

3rd Violation: Physical Trauma
He's a minor child and, regardless of parental authorisation, is incapable of making such a life-altering (and potentially life-threatening) decision for himself. There's a reason children aren't allowed to make life-altering decisions for themselves; they lack forethought, hindsight, and (most of them) don't realize that they can die from bad decisions. This is why parents make those decisions for them, but not even parental authorisation can excuse putting a child in such a potentially life-threatening situation, on top of the risk that he could get stuck that way for the rest of his life. Making him choose to concede to their dangerous plan was EVIL.

Secondary to all that is the evil done to him by everyone else involved; from his misandrist sister, to his heartless 'girlfriend' and her mother, to the idiots that thought it up, and even to the 'Wizards' that did it to him. Every one of them traumatized an innocent 16-year-old boy, for no other reason than because they could. Each one weighed the right and wrong of their part in it all, and found Chris's trauma, and potentially his life, to be less important than stopping spies. Each one was an act of evil, perpetrated against a boy whose only crime was being smart, dedicated, honest, and trusting... all qualities that are the markers of a good person. They all weighed the rights of self-determination of a good person and chose instead to injure and endanger him for no reason other than 'the ends justify the means'. That is almost the very definition of EVIL.

I could go on, but I believe I've made my point. The very notion of using children to do counter-espionage, even excusing it as some posters suggested by saying that Boy Scouts were being trained for military purposes, is not only a fallacy, (even if it were true that Scouts were being trained for military purposes, none were ever pressed into actual military service as children) the very idea of it is repugnant.

The premise is also extremely contrived. If they have magical ways to make a boy into a girl, they could make a man into one. Age appearance is highly subjective and individual. Cops have been recruiting adults who look like teens still for decades to infiltrate criminal organizations and perform sting operations. So you hire a 19 or 20 year old who still looks 16, and most importantly is old enough to make his own decisions, turn him into a girl, with his consent, and use him to do the job.

Doing it the way it was done makes this story nothing more than forced feminization with a convoluted way of getting there. Seeing as the author wasn't good enough to put that in the story tags, I feel mislead and that I've wasted my time reading a story genre that I loathe. The subtle misandristic attitudes displayed in the story don't help. (He'll be a better man by living as a girl for three months? Seriously? In what universe does that make any sense, other than one where women are obviously better than men?)

Good writing, very bad story. Sorry, pass. Please add appropriate tags so as to not waste other readers' time.

Thank-you for reminding me...

Daphne Xu's picture

... how evil the plot really was.

I am reminded of two things: "Flowers in the Attic" by V. C. Andrews, and the absolute worst Christian Science parents.

"Flowers in the Attic" was a teenage and preteen girl rite of passage during the 1980s -- they secretly read it under covers, or kept it hidden under pillows, and spread it around. (Of course, some boys read it as well.) The incest was The Thing for them, including the author of the following review, when she first read it at 12. "I have a brother who's two years younger than me, and I'm still kind of pissed at V.C. Andrews for making me even consider the thought of conjugal relations with him. (Every time I thought about it, my immediate visceral reaction was, `Ew, ew, ewwwww!')"

https://www.elle.com/culture/books/reviews/a13950/rereading-...

Rereading it in 2014 (preparing for the Lifetime adaptation), she read it as a mother, and it hit her hard there. "[N]ow I am angry at V.C. Andrews for making me think about whether or not I could ever do to my kids what Corinne did to hers, all for money and a hot, young new husband." "I cried much harder this time around when poor little banjo-playing Cory died than I ever did during my pubescent readings." About the (then) upcoming TV show: "Kiernan Shipka, who plays Cathy, looks so young to me, though. When I read the book, Cathy seemed so much more mature and sophisticated than I was. [The same age at the start.] Now I just want to hug her and feed her a (non-arsenic-laced) doughnut. Damn you, V.C. Andrews."

The absolute worst of Christian Science parenting? There's a wide variety. They, believe it or not, think they're providing the best for their children. Those parents who prohibited their children from wearing seat-belts in cars? Wearing them meant admitting to the possibility of an accident ("Accidents are unknown to God.") and might cause a belief in one. The mother who rips off her young son's bandage covering a deep gash, and tells him to go out and play? The mother who tells her daughter trying to show an injury or rash, "I don't see it"? They're following what they "understand" is best for the child, to correct the erroneous belief.

-- Daphne Xu

Nightmares

The story that gave me nightmares was Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. There were a few on the web, like a forced fem story where it started bad and just got worst, culminating in really brutal slavery. I kept hoping for things to get better, but there was no happy ending.

I won't even open a Stephen King book. That goes double for Lovecraft.

As far as this story goes (Something Feels Strange,) I saw the protagonist doing the best he/she could do. He might have been a bit young to be called upon to help his country by today's standards, but it was always his choice. I also had the feeling that he exited the experience as a more mature and experienced young person, and probably did well in life. It was kind of a modern Red Badge of Courage, but with a happier ending and less violence.

Ah... The old standby...

RobertaME's picture

"By today's standards..." is a pretty flimsy argument to hang your support for this story on. Yes, by the standards of two centuries ago, boys aged sixteen were considered men and of fighting age. But this story isn't set two hundred years ago... it's set in the 21st century in a 1st-world country where everyone under the age of 18 can't even open a savings account without their parents, so arguments that sixteen year old boys of today should not only have the right to decide whether or not they should put their life on the line for their country, but that they can be effectively 'drafted' into it because 'it's been done before' are ludicrous. They also used to use blood-letting and leaches to cure diseases; so should we still do that?

Besides, he had no choice; it was made for him. Oh sure, they gave lip service to the notion that he could say no... he could have gone off to boy's camp with a girl's haircut and brows. Some choice! He wasn't just maneuvered into putting his life at risk, he was submarined. His 'choice' was booby-trapped from the beginning, leaving him with Hobson's Choice; do what will benefit his parents and others, possibly at the cost of his life or future as a man... or else spend all summer looking like a sissy, surrounded by hundreds of rough and rowdy boys with nothing better to do than pick on him, lose the money, and be made to feel guilty about it for the rest of forever.

Regardless of just how unethicaly horrible his parents are for even considering letting him risk his future, but to actually push him into making a potentially life-threatening decision by booby-trapping his alternative is beyond simple selfishness; it's being evilly blasé about another human being's life. The fact that he's a minor just makes it worse... that he's their son even more so! It doesn't matter how good it turned out in the long run; the ends never justify the means. EVER! Recruiting children for counterespionage is wrong... morally, ethically, and objectively wrong. Backing their own child into a corner like that was evil!

Story

I'm supporting the story because it's a well written story. Whether I like or dislike the actions of the story's characters is a totally different issue.

Yeah, he had to grow up a bit early. So to a lot of people. He didn't cave. Kudos to him. The other player? We could argue endlessly about exactly how much danger they asked him to face. Little good comes without some kind of a risk. He proved himself to not be a snowflake. He went out of his safe place and did something great.

Goodnight

Wendy Jean's picture

Sweet Princess. Tomorrow will be a new day.