Something Feels Strange - 55

Printer-friendly version
Feels Strange   Eventually, I join my Dad in the land of nod. The morning will start my journey back to what I was born to be.

I shall really miss life as Tina.

Chapter 55: The Aftermath

"Hey, Chris," Ben asks, "Isn't that Laurie over there with Andy?"

Ben and I are on a gentle run through town. I’m helping him get back into running as he continues his recovery from the attack last summer. I’ve been working with him ever since the doctors gave him the green light to do so, only two months ago. We’ve become good friends over the past year as I’ve tried to help him get back on his feet. I’m still feeling somewhat responsible for his condition and feel the obligation to do what I can to help him.

Reluctantly I look in the direction he’s pointing to see the two of them cuddled together on a bench in Carnegie Park engrossed in painting a picture of some new spring flowers. I can’t help but recalling a similar scene almost a year ago. She’s actually wearing one of Tina’s favorite tops.

“Yeah,” I respond with little enthusiasm. Ben knows that I still have a thing for Laurie, but he’s still tactless. His is, however, getting better under Caitlin’s constant tutelage.

“Sorry, man,” he realizes what he’s done. “I forgot you still have a thing for her.” Fortunately, he doesn’t know about the thing I had for Andy too.

“Naw,” I deny it, “It’s for the best.”

Laurie and I tried to make it work when I got ‘back from camp’ last summer but it wasn’t meant to be. It’s largely my fault because I couldn’t resolve the Tina/Chris relationships. I couldn’t seem to forget the closeness of being favorite girl cousins with her. She seemed a bit flustered whenever I’d slip and make some comment about the sorts of things boys are not privy to concerning the private life of a girl–things like the knowing comments about how uncomfortable a push-up bra can be or how miserable menstrual cramps are. It also brought back fond memories when she’d wear some of the jewelry and clothes that she inherited from Tina–memories that a boyfriend shouldn’t have. Somehow it seemed wrong to revert to the boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. We struggled with it through November before we agreed that we should just keep our relationship to being just friends. I was ‘introduced’ to Andy when I got back into town and it wasn’t long before we became good buddies though I had to really struggle to keep from giving him a hug whenever he mourned the loss of Tina. Laurie and I spent a fair amount of time with him helping him get over his loss. When Laurie and I decided to part ways, Andy naturally slipped in to fill the void in her life and she the void in his. They make a great couple, but it still hurts when I see them together though I’m still friends with both. I’m not sure the relationship will last as it doesn’t have the passion that each of them had shared with Chris/Tina. It’s probably more of a rebound relationship.

The weird thing is that I’m not sure of whom I’m more jealous: I miss being held by Andy almost as much as I miss holding Laurie. I miss the kisses too–from both of them. I’m really messed up–just like I expected.

Changing the subject, Ben asks, “Hey, dude, Caitlin wants to know if you want to go to the reservoir with us on Saturday. Her family is having a picnic and they’ll have the ski boat there. It’ll be fun and there’ll be lots of girls there to take your mind off the Mercer chick.”

Caitlin, also, has made it her mission to help Ben with his recovery. Following the death of her best friend, Tina, she’d spend long hours helping Ben deal with his injuries. I think it was therapeutic for her as well since she took Tina’s death pretty hard. She needed to focus her energy somewhere and Ben seemed like a worthy cause. I guess if you hang out with Ben long enough he grows on you. By the time I’d broken up with Laurie I think Caitlin had forgotten about her crush on Chris. She was dating Ben steadily by then anyway. I’m not feeling any romantic attraction to her but it tears me up inside that we can’t be the kind of friends we were last summer. She has continued working part-time at McHell after school started again, even though she doesn’t have to. She denies it vehemently but I’m pretty sure she likes it there now–after all, she’s been made employee of the month three times in the last year. I hear that the manager is trying to talk her into becoming an assistant manager after graduation but I’m sure she has a greater destiny. Caitlin is a girl with a purpose now and she’s a lot happier than she was a year ago. She has also changed the way she dresses and–in my opinion–she looks hot without looking slutty. People are taking her more seriously.

“I don’t know,” I respond, “It sounds like fun, but my Dad and I are talking about a hike this weekend if he’s in town.”

Dad and I have become even closer since last summer. He still jets off on short notice, but he’s always there when it really counts. He managed to make it to the regional championship races last fall when I won the varsity cross country running championship–I keep wondering if the wizards didn’t give me a little boost to my running abilities on the return trip as a bonus. He was also there to help pick up the pieces when Laurie and I broke up. Good or bad, he’s there when I need him. He’s a great father.

I did recommend Andy for the next mission. I haven’t told Dad–or anyone else–about Andy’s curiosity so Dad thinks I’m just trying to get back at Andy for stealing Laurie. I assure him that it’s not the case but he just grins knowingly. Whatever. 

“Well,” Ben assures me, “the offer’s there if something happens.”

“Thanks, man,” I reply.

Finishing our run I leave Ben at his home before continuing for a longer, more abusive run for myself. I’ve really enjoyed being able to do this again on my own. If anything, I do these runs more often than before, although I pay much closer attention to crazy drivers than I used to. Today’s run gives me time to reflect on the thoughts that Ben started with his comments. What has been the result of my summer in skirts? I think it had a lot of positive effects on a lot of people.

Mom–well, she’s Mom. She let it be known that I am not available for any more risky missions. She says that goes for the rest of the family as well. Dad and I just smile when she goes on one of her rants. She’s thinking a summer internship with her engineering firm would be a much better deal than last summer–at least it’d be safer.

Actually nothing can compete financially with last summer. I came off pretty well set–I even had enough cash to buy my own car. Also the experience was definitely unique but it’s not anything I can put on a résumé. Anyway, Mom has had about all the excitement she can handle and shows her love for me by keeping me away from her friends Jen and Susan as much as she can. She seems to have an unnatural fear that they’ll recruit me for something else. Who can blame her?

Aunt Jen–forever Aunt Jen in my mind–and I have had several long talks since my return. A few of them after I parted ways with her daughter. I’m still welcome in her home as she promised but, sadly, she was right about the longevity of teen romances. She’s like a second–or is that third?–mother to me in a lot of ways. I can go to her for advice anytime. I’m still on her favorite people list, as she is on mine. She still works for the Director’s office and I’m sure she still has her ear to the ground looking for more trouble brewing at the Lab.

She has also been keeping me posted about the Jeffers; apparently Mom Polly had developed quite an attachment to Tina and really was relatively sad about her 'death'. The Major either doesn’t know that the essence of Tina survived the mission or he’s a great actor as he’s been somewhat down about Tina’s demise as well. Of course, they don’t know that I was her and we need to keep it that way.

Mrs. Harrison, I am told, has mellowed in her job somewhat. The investigation took a lot out of her–particularly when Ben was injured. She still enforces the rules, but she’s not quite the terrier that she was and less prone to false accusations. She’s even made peace with Dr. Sommers. She seems grateful for my work with Ben and is always ready to help me in any way that she can. She offered me another job this summer, but Mom won’t allow it–go figure. She’s become an unofficial assistant coach to the running team where she particularly encourages the girls to higher performance. She keeps an eye out for my welfare as well. We’re friends.

And the running team–we can’t forget the running team. What a year! Not a single school could touch us in distance running in either cross country or track this year. Lots of records have been set. The girls were particularly powerful, and they all wore runner’s necklaces in honor of Tina Jeffers. At the start of all races they shout “for Tina” before they pass every girl in sight. It seems that just the sight of a runner’s necklace strikes fear in the hearts of the competition. The boys weren’t a lick behind them either. Someone conjured up a “For Tina” pin with the image of a running shoe on it which we all wear on our race uniforms–even those of us who didn’t really know her. Coach Arnold has been a very happy man. Dan and I continue to lead the team though Dan’s frustrated when he always finishes second best. He has yet to experience finishing first–a feeling which I cannot adequately describe for him. The coaches have been receiving inquiries about the two us from colleges around the country. It looks as if a running scholarship might augment my FBI money.

When I look back on that summer, though, I think the big winner was Mrs. Lang. Sure it was hard for her to both go through the divorce and being associated with the major scandal of the year through her marriage; but she’s come out of the experience much stronger. She got everything in the divorce except the offshore account. Dr. Lang changed the password on the account after she'd siphoned off about a million dollars which she turned over to the FBI. He wasn't too happy about it, but what could he do? She’s still sad that she and her husband couldn’t make things work, but she’s glad to be away from the tension and his treachery. Initially, she wanted to sell the store and move back east to be closer to family, but Andy begged her to stay. He’s made a lot of new friends and now that he’s rather attached to Laurie he doesn’t want to go anywhere just yet. Mrs. Lang approves of Laurie, but I think she still has regrets about Andy losing Tina. She really liked Tina. She’s also made a few new friends and has gotten more involved in the local business community. She was even invited to join Rotary. Rumor has it that she’s still intent on moving east after Andy leaves for college in the fall, but I know for a fact that she’s met another scientist from the Lab who gets her motor running. She’s still got a thing for scientists. We’ll just have to wait to see what happens.

Speaking of romance at the Lab, Tiff is still seeing Steve the programmer. This is a new record for her–she’s never dated anyone for this long. When I got home, I made a point of meeting him once when he came to see Tiff and ever since then I’ve been feeding him tips on how to be a gentleman. He’s been a quick learner. She comes home every chance she gets to see him and he’s been to the college a few times visiting her. I’m starting to think they might make things a little more formal when she graduates in the near future. He’s been kind enough to help his girlfriend’s little brother with a few programming projects–nothing illegal I should mention. We never have told Tiff about who Tina really was though she’s still trying to figure out how Tina was connected to the family. It’s nice having an inside joke on her. I still have that picture of her changing in the motor home to prove that I was there.

And speaking of sisters, Marla went off to college in the fall. She’s kept silent about my transformation, but we did have a couple of long talks after I returned. She’s no longer the prankster–well almost–and we’re closer than ever before. She’s decided that my summer in skirts was a good thing for our relationship. For Christmas, she gave me a pair of thong panties with a message that read: ‘For the cutest ‘boy’ that I’ve ever seen in panties’. Fortunately it wasn’t under the tree for the whole family to see. I think they’re the pair she tried to get me to wear that first night at the store. Like I said she’s almost given up on her prankster ways but not quite. I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I put them in a box under my bed along with Tina’s runners necklace, the Forget-Me-Not earrings from the Jeffers, the leopard print lingerie from our San Francisco trip, and the dried corsage from the country club dance.

Some of the individuals arrested at the Lab are starting to appear in court. Even though attempts have been made to downplay Tina’s role in the affair, some investigative reporters have recently picked up the scent and discovered that Tina doesn’t really exist. It didn’t take much to punch a hole through the cover story in Alaska since nobody really knew her there. In spite of having borne the brunt of the media onslaught, the Mercers and Jeffers haven’t revealed anything. A recent headline read: ‘Who was Kristina Jeffers?’ The article was full of speculation which was entertaining to read because it was all so far off the mark–I added a copy of it to my box of Tina memorabilia. The defendants’ lawyers also want to know the answer to that question, and I’m sure that Mr. Rana constantly asks the same question from his prison cell. I gather the FBI would still like to know. The revelation of Tina’s lack of history has just added to her mystery and seems to be the foundation for an emerging local legend. I think that’s kinda cool. The running team was–at first–dismayed by the revelation that Tina was a fabrication but then Caitlin stepped forward and emphatically declared that she didn’t care where Tina came from–Tina was here and Tina made a difference. Tina is worth remembering. Everyone agreed.

In case you think that everyone but me made out well from last summer’s activities, let me assure you that I’m okay. The first couple of weeks after the change back were awkward but I got to do it doing the things I love the most.  I did have a few quiet moments where the memories came crashing in, but a good cry took care of them. I’m not ashamed to cry anymore. Those moments still come from time to time and I deal with them in the same way. To help with the adjustment I have also spent a fair amount of time in the last year with a psychologist from the Lab who I think will get some ground breaking papers out of the deal.

Financially, I’m set through college and maybe beyond. The scholarship the FBI offered me is now the Tina Jeffers Memorial Endowed Scholarship and is funded with the money that Mrs. Lang siphoned off her husband's off-shore account–the FBI got off easy. The Lab's security committee administers the scholarship and I've been promised first priority.  I've also suggested that Laurie, Caitlin, Andy, and Ben all get something as well for the parts they played in completing the mission. Given my academic and athletic performance, I think scholarships will be easy to come by so why not share the wealth?

There are still a mere handful of people who know what I really did last summer and they’re not talking. As I mentioned, my Dad and I are closer than ever. Dan and I are still good friends–in fact we hang out more now that Suzy has left him for some football star and I’m no longer attached to Laurie. Neither one of us are ready for another relationship just yet. I’ve aced all my classes this year and I have to keep running because there’s a half dozen girls chasing me with hopes of stepping into Laurie’s shoes–most of them are glad that Tina’s not around to capture my heart. Several people have told me that I really missed out by not being here to run with her last summer. They’re convinced that Tina and I would have made a dynamite couple. Finding a date when I want one is not at all difficult. I’ve got lots of friends and few enemies at school. It doesn’t get much better for a high school kid. My senior year should be a great year. My most difficult task for the year will be to decide who to take to the senior prom if I decide to not graduate at mid-year.

Trying to forget the wonderful experiences of last summer has been a constant difficulty. I really don’t want to forget what it was like to be a girl, but people think it’s strange when I comment on a hair style or dress with the critical eye of someone who has been there, done that–and worn the dress. I often find myself recalling the pleasant feel of a long loose skirt billowing about my nylon-clad legs or the feel of dangly ear rings swinging against my neck. Looking in the mirror is not nearly as appealing as it was when Tina was staring back from the glass. I tend to get a little melancholy when I see two or more close girl friends sharing a special moment together and occasionally I miss being treated like a lady. Shopping is not nearly so enticing anymore now that it’s for plain male fashions to adorn a decidedly plain male body. Yes, I miss the options.

I’ve covered the pros and cons of female vs. male life in earlier chapters. I still think they’re true. Some days I really wish I could have the best of both worlds, but sometimes the best of one world is mutually exclusive of the other. I’m doomed to be caught emotionally between the two and am resigned to that fact. Some days I just wish that I didn’t know what it’s like to be a girl–to know what I’m missing.

Time and again I think back to that moonlit night on a boulder by the lake. I ask myself the same question I asked Andy that night while enjoying the warmth of his arms around me: “If you had the choice–right now–between being a girl or a boy for the rest of your life which would you choose?” Unlike Andy, I have experienced both sides, and I’ve had plenty of time to think about it too.

So what’s my answer?

I don’t know.

---<>---

And so ends Tina’s saga.

I thank all of you who have taken the time to read this–my first and probably last–story. It started as a lark and ended being so much more for me. I hope that it has been as enjoyable for you as it has been for me.

I know that many of you are probably disappointed with the ending, but that’s the way it is. I personally feel it fits well with the dynamic nature of teen relationships and it felt right as the words rolled off my fingertips. I hope that you will see it that way too.

I need to especially thank those of you who took the time to comment on the chapters and who sent me PMs which helped improve the story. Thanks for making this much better than it would have been.

The biggest help of all came from Gabi who taught me a lot about writing in the process. Like so many other volunteers, she has made a difference–a huge difference. Thanks Gabi!

 

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Melancholy

Is probably the best way I can describe the ending. It's not a bad ending, but you're right, it does fit in with the teen zeitgeist. You've even managed to avoid schadenfreud in the story, which is kind of amazing when you look at the social dynamics around the 'bad guys'. No gloating or anything else.

Even if you don't write anything else, I, for one, have been grateful to see you write this story in the first place. That's a compliment, because I usually don't like stories with unhappy endings. (This isn't a _depressing_ ending, but it's certainly not a _happy_ ending.)

Thanks

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Hi Tiff. The Tina Saga was good

Hi Tiff. The Tina Saga was good, a good read. I found it interesting that the "magic" that transformed Tina back into Chris still left him, actually, with some gender confusion. Should be expected in such a total immersion, I suppose. In some ways, his confusion is not dissimilar to people who have tried to detransition, which usually fails one way or the other. Anywho, thanks for the story.

CaroL

CaroL

Detransitioning

Carol:

I think you are right on about the experience of de-transitioning. I don't know what the statistics are but the Docs were very upset; even alarmed when I did a nose plant as I tried to de-transition. It was awful; worse than the original transitioning, and it took a long time for me to get over.

Gwen

Maybe it's not sad, but I am!

I'll miss seeing new episodes of this story. It was definitely on my Favorites list. Good luck in whatever you chose to do. I hope that you will contribute again, even if it is just a short one time story.

Wren

Melancholy is right.

I just realized my comments may contain some spoilers, so if you are sensitive to those, quit reading this now!

Well it had to end sometime didn't it?

Most of the relationships settled out about like I expected, and the ones that didn't, really didn't surprise me. It has to hurt Chris doubly about Andy and Laurie but I expected that, given their common interests.

You could have probably written a book on the events between the last two chapters, so I understand why you didn't try to write more about any of that.

I'm a bit sad to see the story completed, it was a real hoot for me someitmes reading the exasperated comments after a chapter, or the wild and wacky forecasts. Tiff, you really kept us guessing!

Thanks so much for writing the story. I hope this isn't the end of yor writing career, perhaps from time to time you could write a SHORT story? Talent like yours should not be "hidden under a bushel."

One has to wonder, in a few years when the lab has the technology a bit more perfected, who else would they license it to but the FBI and CIA? Would the lab then finally reveal Tina;s real identity? I can't believe the FBI would "forget" about her. If Chris subsequently decided to work for the FBI, and was offered another undercover position, what would his anwer be?

Hugs
Carla Ann

I Loved The Story, Just Disappointed At How It Ended

jengrl's picture

I loved the story, but I was disappointed at how it ended the relationship between Laurie and Chris. I thought Laurie would have done better at understanding about the adjustment. She was the one that got Chris involved in it and it just seemed she just gave up on them too easily afterward. Oh well, It worked out the way you wanted it to. I wished there was a way for Chris to return to being a girl, so she could at least regain some of the closeness she shared with Laurie and Caitlin. It is a shame that that ended.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Something Feels Strange - 55

Bittersweet ending for Chris to me. He lost Laurie and Andy. But Laurie's is his fault, partly. Too bad that Caitlyn didn't start dating him instead of who she is.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It was perfect

It fits so well. the only disappointment will be if you do not make more contributions with the talent you have. Though I am happy to have been blessed with this wonderful story and It does have a lot of reread value

4 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 9 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Ten Gold Stars and Ten Boxes of Tissue

What! Only 9 gold stars and 4 boxes of tissue. Did you even
bother to read the story? Just kidding. I know how you value
your gold stars and the price of gold is not cheap. The price
of tissue paper is not cheap either.

Kaptin Nibbles

they were very big

boxes of tissue, though now we have gone green with stacks of Ribbon Corner Bouquet Handkerchiefs, so a few dozen each ad we are ready for just about any story

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Thanks, Tiff!

Thanks for this great novel! Seeing new chapters of it as they come out has always been a pleasant surprise.

I do find this ending melancholy at best. It's not that I wanted Chris to stay Tina, it's more that he seems to be stuck between the two, now. It looks like he and his therapist have much work ahead, yet. I hope one day soon, he can answer the question he posed to Andy, and if the answer isn't Chris, that he can get help from the wizards, again.

I'd also encourage you to continue writing. I know your schedule is constrained, but it'd be a shame if you let this be your last story.

Miranda

All good things...

eventually come to an end, and that includes this story.

I'll join the voices of feeling melancholy, along with a bit of sadness for Chris, at the ending. He's lost everything except his running through the transformation, and the things that he's gained don't make up for it (yet).

Yet it's a very appropriate ending.

Thanks for the story, and for providing an ending. If you change your mind and decide to write some more, I'll be there reading it.

Even if you

ALISON

'don't write another story, which would be a shame, you will always be remembered for this
magnificent effort. Bravo ! Bravo ! One of the stories of the year !!!!

ALISON

As expected

Chris does come back. But I doubt that either side of the Chris/Tina debate that raged on in the previous 54 chapters really found satisfaction.

In a way I think I may have found a situation as bad as or in some ways worst than being TS: Being terminally on the fence.

This will gnaw at Chris for the rest of his life, the what could have been. Frankly seven weeks was too short of a time to make a choice really before being yanked back or being given the opportunity to be the Quinn's daughter for a while before making a final choice.

Now we have a lost young man who is all twisted up inside. Sadly, people react better when they are not given too many choices. To be offered the choice to be something very different that would in the real world be totally impossible is not an easy place to be.

The lack of closure in this story is going to haunt readers but, yes, it is consistent with what was presented in the story and is a realistic ending.

So, I say again, may Tina RIP.

Kim

I thought the same...

Chris would have been better of, if there wouldn't have been any choice for him. Either telling him from the beginning that there is no way wahtsoever to stay as Tina or by a retransformation that doesn't work.

He really is the one single person that lost: Lost friendship with Caitlin, lost loves with Laurie and Andy, lost in between boy and girl.

The really interesting point for me is, that this ending really keeps the high level of the story. I loved reading it over the last year. A really great job Tiff. What I find most intruiging ist, that you build a realistic story around one (currently... 8]) unrealistic element: The magic transformation. Everything else could really happen like this.

All good things have to end to be good. But I will miss the depth of your characters and the way the story unfolds.

BTW: I personally didn't like Laurie that much and I am a bit gleeful that she lost Chris. I especially didn't like the way she interacted with Kris/Tina at the beginning. I am pretty sure loosing Chris will haunt her for a very long time in some way or the other...

I Have Tried To Avoid…

…leaving comments up to now because of my close association with Tiff on this wonderful saga. I have enjoyed editing for her soooo much and have really appreciated her thanks at the end of each chapter.

I also enjoyed all the comments you—the readers—made; all the speculations you made about the twists in the plot had me itching to say something, but tat would have ruined it for everybody. It was especially tempting after the penultimate chapter when several of you were speculating if “that was it”, or whether there was more to come.

I have really enjoyed the ride, Tiff, and should you ever fancy setting fingers to keyboard, please remember that I'm here. I have learned a great deal from you about the American way of life, your culture and the way you use our (almost) common language. :)

Thank you sooo much, Tiff, it has been a pleasure working with you.

Multiple hugs,

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Respnse to Harding

Why do women excel in its use? When men can only stand around
and say, "Duh."

I Don't Like the Ending

Two things I did not like. The fact the story ended and the ending.
I would have preferred and ending where Tina remains. But then
again the magic is still around Chris can return to being Tina
after he is given a chance to think about. Or, you can have a plot
twist where Rana obtained access to the same magic. Where the
Tina that is rescued is a copy and the Rana they captured is also
a copy. And the fake Tina goes on to become a deep spy for Rana
who just happens to be a double spy and his only interest in Tina
was obtaining here services because he was impressed by her skill and ability. She goes on to greater adventures. And she can come home and have the fake Chris step aside while she spends time with her family. That way he has the best of both worlds. And the story would continue. Just a thought.

This was an excellent story, exploring the problems and response, a young man would have if all of a sudden he became a young women. Using a person who did not have a bias to either sex.

I realize you have other responsibilities. But you should reconsider. Write short chapters, of two or three paragraphs.
Have your readers e-mail rough drafts of how they feel the story should go. I myself prefer short chapters that get to the point.

Thank You

Kaptin Nibbles

Outcome / Future

While I'm disappointed at how the story ended, unfortunately it was the most probable ending. We've been given hints since near the beginning that the boyfriend / girlfriend relationship between Chris and Laurie wouldn't survive, and it's difficult covering up knowledge of events that happened during Tina's brief existence.

His mum is currently trying to prevent him having any access to Jen, apparently not wanting him to go through another mission.

Now, in the future, life could pretty much continue as it is, which would potentially be disappointing / depressing to Andy, who's lost most of the friendships he built up over the summer; or (and this would be a more upbeat future) when Chris turns 18 he offers his services again if needed, as well as volunteering Andy. Hopefully once the trial's over, if he's still friends (even if not close) with any of the original bunch, he can reveal the secret.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I have a hard time

feeling positive about the ending of this story. Bittersweet. Melancholic. Disappointed. Yeah, well all of the above, and then some. With this end, it's like everybody wins but Chris. Oh, he has gained in favours and boons, a better - more then before? - relationship with his father, and his sister. But that was never bad before, so how much is that gain worth?

In the end he only lost, is what I feel. And like I feared from the beginning, he's essentially been duped. Now he has to re-invent him(/her)self. Again. For the third time. Poor Chris.

Oh but he saved the world, right!!? :S

Yes, I'll admit, this story leaves me with a bitter taste, however well written and thought out. No matter the lighter passages, and short lived romance. Do all stories have to end well, you may ask. And no, that's not mandatory. Life's no picnic, so I shouldn't complain. But I do, I love sweet romance and a happy ending, I'm a sentimental basket case for that. As well as I really enjoy good writing. And well, that's what you have given, Tiff.

A big thank you for that.

Jo-Anne

Chris's loss

Don't forget that Chris lost the reward that was supposed to have gone to him if he stayed Tina a while longer. They figured since Tina died they didn't need to pay up to her so they did the Memorial Schlolarship. This too stinks. Chris in my opinion lost everything that was dear to him.

Yes I know he was going to be given some of the scholarship, but he doesn't get it all, and it is given only because people forced it to be given to him. He earned it, every penny and more. I think this really stinks.

The story was great. I still think he should be given the chance to become Tina again, since he lost the only reason he wanted to be Chris again which was to be a boyfriend for Laurie; or he should be allowed to become another girl, so she can get back the things she truly lost; her self identity and the respect of all those who knew her. There is a time I think Chris will want to be a girl more than ever since he saw what it was like and he ended up loving it.

I hope someone will realize that this is torturing Chris internally, since he did lose everything and soon he will realize what it truly was and I suspect he will lose it mentally, that he may do what ever it will take, to make him a woman again.

Great story, Excellant character building, but a very sad ending.

"I don't know"

The last line of the story makes it clear that Chris will not "do what ever it will take, to make him a woman again."

Being Laurie's boyfriend was not the only reason he wanted to return to the life he led for sixteen years. Tina was just a summer fantasy made flesh! Chris was real and is real again – and having to deal with the fallout of the stupidest and most ill-considered "cock up" in the history of parenthood – and espionage. Subject him to an experimental procedure ... to turn him into a girl AND put him in danger as a spy? Dice and slice your own son's sense of self by making him something he's not, using a poorly understood process that has NEVER used for long-term transformations before? Rewrite him to the core, and then change him back again after a few months and HOPE he can cope with having lived two lives that he can never truly integrate?

I think Chris is coping as well as he can, and I think he'll bounce back for the most part. Unfortunately, what should have been a blessing is now a curse. He can never let go of those months, and they will haunt him, because there is no right answer. Man or woman, there are always pluses and minuses, and Chris will wind up dancing on that line until the bulk of the memories fade enough for him to let them go and get on with things.

That is his legacy - not a burning need for femininity, but a deep sense of confusion and loss that will stay with him for a long, long time.

And that's ... sad. My heart goes out to him, and I wish him all the best cleaning up the mess his parents (and his former girlfriend) made of the one thing that made them want him for this mission in the first place -- his strong sense of WHO HE WAS.

Randa

Thanks Tiff

It seems somewhat trivial just to say "thanks" at the conclusion of what has been (in my opinion) a terrific series, but I just want to let you know how much I've appreciated being able to read Something Feels Strange. It has been thoroughly enjoyable, and quite different to other works in this genre.

You've described this as "my first and probably last story." From my perspective, then it's a staggering accomplishment. In the words of the song, 'never say never'—and I for one would be more than happy to see other writing from you.

Reflecting back on the personal development of Chris/Tina over the duration of Something Feels Strange he really has walked a mile in another's shoes, something that's going to heavily influence his future relationships. Others might have been hoping for a 'happy ending,' but I think the one you've provided is appropriate.

If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour
If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind
If you could see me through your eyes instead of your ego
I believe you'd be surprised to see that you'd been blind.

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
And before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes.

—Joe South, 'Walk a Mile in my Shoes'

Pretty Satisfied


Bike Resources

Please Tiff - "SOME MORE"

RAMI

RAMI

Firstly, please Tiff, give us some more of your fantastic story telling. I'm sure that writing an ending to this story has been a burden, the last few weeks, but you have provided many of us with a great time. Perhaps after a reasonable hiatus, you can reward us with another story.

As to the ending, it is probably the most likely ending that could be expected. Chris and Laurie's relationship, prior to his change to Tina, was based on an initial falsehood. She only began the relationship, with the goal of spying on him, and aidng in his frced transition. She seemed to enjoy her role in that, and was only a little upset, with herslf after it was accomplished. That she became annoyed with the returning Chris, even though he blames himself, shows her superfical makeup. She should have been more sympathetic and worked harder on their relationship. I would like to see what her future relationship with, her friend (not boyfriend) Chris will be like. Since "Aunt" Jen wishes to remain a relationship with Chris, it is likely they will know each other for a long time. I can easily see her becoming quite the bitch, and doing some evil things vis a vie Chris' future relationships.

Andy as expected is getting on with his life. Since he lost, Tina, it is not surprising that he has gravitated to her cousin Laurie, especially, since Laurie is no longer Chris is boyfriend. I hope Chris and Andy can maintain a relationship as good friends. But I fear that at some time in the future, Chris might well, During a period of "Mental Girl Time" do something to mess that relationship up.

Hopefully, the only remaining decent person in this whole mess, Caitlin, will have a falling out with Ben and will somehow begin a relatioship with Chris.

I fear for Chris' future, which will always be complicated by his time as Tina.

Again, thank you Tiff for a wonderful story. Please "Some More". But, if that is not possible, enjoy your other endeavors and have a wonderful life.

RAMI

RAMI

Great Story

I don't comment often, and I apologize for that, but felt I had to say something upon the completion of this saga. It has been one of my favorites and I am sad to see it come to its conclusion.

I was truly convinced that there would be a problem with the magic and the return to Chris would not happen.

I also find Chris's attitude about losing Laurie a little odd. It seems to me that one of the reasons Tina decided to return to Chris was because of pressure from Laurie, and then they break up and he doesn't feel bitter.

The other thing I found a bit odd was Tina's attitude towards sex. I didn't want the story to be XXX, but would have thought Chris/Tina would want to know what it is like on both sides of the bed.

That said, great job and I hope you do write more, it was wonderful.

Great Story

I really did enjoy this story. AND.... I especially enjoyed the ending. the reason being that this sis the first story that I have ever read on this site that didn't end up with a cliche happy ending where the boy became the girl and stayed that way to live happily ever after. It's nice to mix it up on occasion. I really was however surprised in that I thought that I had figured out the ending a few installments back. I was thinking while I was reading that if I had written it, Tina would go back to being Chris but not be able to have a relationship with Laurie for all of the above reasons. then I figured that it would have a happy ending in that Andy would transition to being female and the two of them would carry on the relationship but with reversed roles. I kind of like the fact that the author wasn't afraid to make us think even if everyone didn't live happily ever after. Anyway just a thought. I'm not opposed to bringing Tina back for National Security reasons and seeing what happens. I do hope that this isn't the last story from TiffQ...... Adoy

While bringing Tina is an idea

That many of other commenters suggested, there is a barrier to that.

Tina is compromised as an agent. Being undercover requires being not known as an agent, so unless another body is concorted, Tina as she was is limited to just enjoying life.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Missing Tina

Tina just left us and already she is greatly missed. Great story line, well writen to keep the readers attention and on the edge of our seats in the final chapters. Also thanks for the tie up at the end.

The ending is sad, but ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... given the set up, it's sort of what had to be. There would have been as much sadness, some different, but some the same, I think, had he chosen to remain Tina. The only person who really lost, out of the "good guys", was Chris, and would have been Tina had that option been taken. No matter how Chris puts a good face on it, there will always be a feeling of loss because he liked being a girl as much as he liked being a boy..
The moral of this story: Nice guys - and gals - finish last. The people who put Chris in this position, given his test results, should never have done so.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

A great story and altho I

A great story and altho I did not actually care for the ending as I believe Chris is the only person 'screwed over' by all this. He lost being Tina and having Andy as a boy- friend, and lost having Laurie as a girlfriend. In a odd way, he also lost his entire life because which ever way he wanted to go, it cost him. With Tina now being considered dead, Chris cannot come back as her, without lots of questions that no-one desires to answer. As Chris, he has to sit back and watch as his "friends" become couples and he simply has to "grin and bear it". There should be something/someone out there for Chris; either a loving new girlfriend or another female role that Chris can go into and this time remain permanently female. Jan

Chris Was Screwed Over

littlerocksilver's picture

Reading this story was an interesting adventure. Tiff paints excellent word pictures, and the story was well constructed. However, the bottom line is that Chris was a pawn, a cat's paw. What did he get out of it? He learned about how the other half lives. He learned a lot about interpersonal relations. He learned about loss, inevitable loss, and his nose was rubbed in it. The people he worked with, were selfish and cruel, and I doubt the worth of their motivation. The task could have been much better performed by a professional who didn't mind these shifts. Then they would only have to worry about hurting others 'for the greater good'. End of assignment - great! The heck with all those people I duped with phoney friendships and affection.

NO, Chris was screwed, and so were Tina's friends; so was Tina. You can never go home again, and if anyone thinks that Chris will ever have a normal life, they are sadly mistaken.

Whatever choice Chris makes in the future, there will always be a loss and emptiness. Chris was royally screwed, without a doubt, and his parents are guilty of the worst abuse. They destroyed his personality.

Portia

Portia

I Totally Agree!

jengrl's picture

Everyone got what they wanted in the end except Chris. I totally agree that he was used and then left drifting in the wind after it was over. Laurie was one of the worst. She was used to recruit him for the mission and should have been more patient while he made the adjustment back to being male. In fact, I know quite a few GG friends who would love to have a guy who can sympathize with them about periods and the way some lingerie tends to annoy during the day. The money he got was good, but he lost his relationships with just about everyone in the process. I never heard one word about them offering him counseling. They just set him adrift in his confused and broken new world. It kind of reminded me what the government did during Vietnam and even our current wars, where they sent soldiers home and expected them just to go on and act like nothing had happened to them. They scarred Chris and expected him just to carry on with life.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Laurie is Horrible a real ......

RAMI

From the start, Laurie has mistreated Chris. At the end she compounded her disregard for him or his feelings, by beginning a relationship with Andy. While, Chris could not have a future relationship with Andy except as guy buddies, Laurie after having given up on Chris and basically making him feel it was his fault, started relationship with Andy, in my opinion just to spite Chris. There will most likely be no squeal to this story, but if there is I can easily see Laurie being a threat to Chris' mental stability and perhaps his physical safety. She was, is and remains a vicious bitch.

RAMI

RAMI

Well done, great story, BUT

I can't help thinking Chris was taken for a long and dangerous ride and then given back very little at the end of it.
A few dollars as a scholarship - well whoopee.
Twice his life was on the line - they also destroyed a lot of self worth by obfuscating his personality by shifting his gender without his permission and then killing it off so he can't go there again.

The FBI are heartless and his parents not terribly good at parenting.
Thank God Chris has a heart of Gold and a strong character - it would have done for a lesser mortal.

re: answer

although chris says in last line" i dont know" i think he does. he could have made the choice to remain tina but didnt. i see nothing wrong with ending. im sure chris will be welcomed by anyone he ends up with because of his understanding of females. go chris.
robert

001.JPG

More Than Good

Yeah, I pushed the "Good story!" button. It felt so inadequate to the cause. This was a damned GREAT story. Thanks Tiff for sharing it with us.

As for the ending, even though it wasn't what I was hoping, it wrapped up all the loose end and left me feeling fulfilled.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Where's Dr. Lang?

Tiff,

This has been a great story to follow through to its conclusion. As you hinted throughout, it would be tough for Chris and Laurie to make it when he changed back. You kept us guessing as to whether he would change back or not and the allure of both sides.

Whatever girl finally captures Chris will be very lucky. I had hoped that it might be Caitlin. Oh well.

Too bad they never found Dr. Lang. Chris may need to look over his shoulder as Dr. Lang and his friends may someday figure it out (another story??)

A wonderful and emotional roller coaster for many of your characters. All of which you handled very well and made them very credible.

I hope this is not your last story as I look forward to more of your wonderful muse.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

High Price

Tiff,

I would like to thank you for such an entertaining story. This was an amazing saga and well worth the sometimes extended breaks. When a new chapter would appear it was certainly a gem that was worth the wait. The comments you elicited provided us with a second level of entertainment as we speculated on the motives and competency of your characters and the plot twists you threw at us.

I must agree with many of the comments in that I think Chris has paid a very high price for his summer adventure. The fact that Chris has spent a significant amount of time with a psychologist seems to prove that he will be suffering the effects of this for a very long time. I think his mother finally has an inkling of how short sighted they were in evaluating the risks involved. Unfortunately it appears that Chris’s father still doesn't have a clue.

I will join with the others here is wishing you well and hoping that you might at some time in the future present us with yet another gem.

Many thanks,

Michelle

Michelle B

Thank you Tiff. I've

Thank you Tiff. I've enjoyed every minute of this story, and I've been reading since Part 11.

This was the perfect ending.

Thanks, Tiff, for this wonderful story

Thanks, Tiff, for this wonderful story, and thank you, too, Gabi, for your contributions.

I think it ended pretty much the way it had to. Yes, in some ways Chris got a raw deal. But agents in clandestine services, like soldiers in war, sometimes see, learn, and do things that leave them changed forever. That is the situation Chris is in, although the way he arrived there is certainly unique.

I think one of the strengths of the story is that it used just one Science Fiction element, the transformation process, and proceeded to tell a real world tale.

Perhaps some time you'll feel the urge to write another story and share it with us. This is certainly one of the best on the site.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

what a surprise

So, in the end, Chris was used and abused by his so-called loving family and his so-called loving girlfriend. Discarded like some disposable lab rat. Used and abused by the people he loved and respected, then handed the brown end of the shit stick. Basically, what a few people here said would happen from almost the beginning. They took a normal, healthy young man who loved his family, his girlfriend and his country and turned him into a "trans-something" person with one foot in each camp; neither fish nor fowl as the saying goes.

With all the support he is NOT being given, it wouldn't surprise me if an epilogue depicted people leaving his funeral service a year or two down the road: "How strange. He was such a nice normal boy until that summer. I wonder what could have happened to make him commit suicide?"

The story was well-written, which makes what happened that much worse, because we could all feel how he was being torn apart. This is not a story I will reread.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Why Suicide?

Return to being Tina. I miss Tina because she came across
as a beautiful women. The kind you would like to meet. Unless
Chris has a streak of "kinky" in him he will be out looking for
a Tina for himself. Not an Andy turned female. As for Laurie
no big loss. If she couldn't make him rejoice and dance in the
streets because he is a man he needs to find one that will.
Simple as that. Ben has the right idea. Hit them over the
head and haul them into the cave.

Why?

Because they have so thoroughly screwed with his head that he may never get over it. Chris is in a hole emotionally and mentally, and instead of climbing back up, he may sink even lower due to the total lack of a support system he can trust. Who is he going to turn to? His worthless work-obsessed parents? His worthless self-centered ex-girlfriend? He can't tell anybody outside, they would never believe him and he stands a good chance of being sedated and locked up somewhere so he won't be a risk.

How long before he starts questioning his own sanity? I suspect he may have/get PTSD, and someday just say "I don't know who I am, and the people who might understand don't want to hear it. Why go on?"


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Because

If he is suffering because he returned to being a man he needs to
consult with Mom. There is something strange in me that
became known when I became Tina. I need to be Tina. There are
no obstacles to returning Tina. She can come back and say
her death was a hoax to provide her long term protection
in case there were still threats against her. Chris can be sent
off to Europe as an exchange student and Tina can come to
live at Chris's house as an exchange student. There should
be no concern about people trying to uncover her past history.
Can you imagine your a reporter being nosy and someone knocks
at your front door at midnight wearing dark suits and takes
you up in a chopper and tells you continue with the story and
you will get flying lessons. I would like to see Tina come
back but not with Andy. I think a plot can easily be designed
where she comes back if not by the current author by someone
else. You have a base of interested readers some one with a
different approach, different message, and exciting adventures
can increase on that base of readers. But suicide. I don't
think that sets a good example. His problem could be compared to
having no shoes. He ought to look around and he will see people
with no feet. Suicide is a cowards way out.

catch up

kristina l s's picture

I'll admit to some ambivalence about the ending. Much as it was set up that way from the start I suspect the audience here are just a pinch biased in how Tina/Chris should have gone. I know I was quietly if doubtfully looking for a way for Tina to stay. I pretty much agree with Randa's comment and think the whole thing will to some degree haunt Chris for a long time. Still I'll cut Tiff some slack as I'm pretty sure this being her first story she simply went with an idea to get the story running and didn't perhaps realise how much people here might identify and feel for him/her.

Over all a great story from start to finish and for a first, simply excellent. The ending while perhaps a touch disappointing was the logical way for things to play out, so applause and hey, you used my name well...cough.

Great job Tiff so please don't make it a solo effort. A nod to Gabi too, I know how that goes.

Kristina

It is not often I feel I

It is not often I feel I need counseling to relieve my anxiety on an ending of a story. I found this story very gripping and was indeed mesmerized by it. In short, I miss Tina. Since she was is now considered dead there is no legitimate way to bring her back to life. So I try to get over the loss of a death of a close friend. I hope you realize your gift in writing in eliciting these kinds of emotions when you write a story and I congratulate you. In a way, your comment that this will be your first and only story brings more of a sense of loss to this whole saga. I wish you all of the best and do hope you will re-consider writing another novel, you certainly have a lot of well wishers hoping you do.

False There is a Legitimate Way

Death was a hoax to provide her additional protection. Pack
Chris off to Europe as an exchange student. Bring in Tina back
as and exchange student from Alaska. Very Simple.

I understand the reasons the author wants to end it. Other
responsibilities.

I ended something before I wanted too. Reason, I need to go
back to the drawing board.

Tina can never come back.

Half the town mourned her loss, especially Caitlin. If she were to come back it would destroy the good feelings people harbor for her.

On the other hand, Chris's "cousin" could come for a permanent visit if she so chose. It would be better too, to be genetically related to her real family.

I think Chris will be fine eventually. It will take another year maybe, but eventually he will adjust, and all the good things Tina learned will be there too.

In spite of everyone castigating Chris's parents, I prefer to think that Chris's dad, who ran the operation, had to have had the utmost faith in his son to allow his participation. And I think the various personnel at the lab determined that the national security aspects were important enough to warrant the operation. I'm not sure why an older person wasn't chosen however, if the wizards could accomplish what they did, surely it isn't much of a stretch to think they could do age regression at the same time.

One must not forget too, that Chris was initially chosen for his neutral attitudes concerning gender. There are few people that are truly like that. It was known beforehand that if the process failed and Chris remained stuck, he, now she, would be the mostly likely to adjust. The story proves it out too. And lest we forget, Chris was given multiple opportunities to end the charade early on, and could have quit at any time. Surely they played upon his sense of duty to family and country, but it was always his choice.

Now, at the end, he's very close to his father, and his father has revealed some truths about himself and his work that he didn't know before. That can only come from mutual respect at a very mature level.

So in my considered judgment, I think Chris fared well. He's easily set for college and beyond, and my guess is if the FBI or CIA ever find out Tina's real identity, Chris has a ready-made career too. Once his confusion settles about his sexuality, I think he's in a terrific position to find his soulmate.

Cheers again,
Carla Ann

Who Needs Enemies with Such Friends

Friends who mourn you then lose their goodwill towards
you because you are all right. Friends like that you do
not need.

I Fully Agree...

...that Chris's aftermath made excellent sense, sad as it was, and that the basics of the story were wrapped up really well. I enjoyed this story and appreciatively thank Tiff for writing it. The emotions rang true, and since that was clearly what our author was concentrating on, the story certainly worked really well from that most important standpoint.

The story bears evidence of having moved in a different direction from Tiff's starting point than she anticipated. As a consequence, an awful lot of puzzle pieces seemed to fall off the table in hopes of being forgotten: the changes in the mission, the experimental nature of the wizard program, the running-shoe-charm necklaces -- OK, that came back, sort of, at the end, but there was a serious question earlier as to who had them and what function, technological or otherwise, they might be serving -- and a whole host of things, early and later, that seemed to me and others to add up to treachery at or near the top of the security force. Red herrings in a story in this genre are fine and probably desirable, but IMO they ought to be explained, however harmlessly, before the end.

One of them -- the quantum shift in the inherent danger to Tina from the originally intended duty as a sharp-eyed office intern to full-fledged investigator-spy -- apparently left many readers (including me) convinced that Mom Quinn was either malicious or incompetent as a parent. I'd have liked to have seen Tiff invest a little more time/space on explaining that point; there was a scene just before the camping trip that had Tina headed to see Mom Quinn for some potential one-on-one face time, but as I recall they canceled it and went for a family restaurant dinner instead.

Sorry if I'm dwelling on negative points here, but the positive ones have been gone over in so many other comments that these hopefully constructive comments are IMO what need to be said.

All in all, an excellent story, but the mechanics could, IMO, have been better.

Eric

Am I the only one who considers this a happy ending?

Of course, it's not the Hollywood stereotype "the hero gets the girl" happy end. But it is a hopeful ending in my opinion. The future is left open, but things look rather bright for all protagonists - including Chris, I think.

The time spent as a girl may haunt Chris for the rest of his life, and maybe he will never be free of self-doubts - but is that a bad thing? The world suffers enough from people who are all too sure about themselves. His experiences might even help him develop a sense of self that is independent from outside appearances.

He will probably keep some "feminine" personality traits - but is that a bad thing? Not every girl out there is looking for a 150% masculine man, even less when these girls get older and become women. Maybe there is some girl out there who can appreciate his understanding of the female side of life. (Laurie seems to be somewhat shallow at this point, but that may well be appropriate for their age.)

Let's not forget that Chris is still young. He's still got lots of time to find romance - and many other things - in his life. He might not have an easy life before him, but I think he's got good chances at a good one.

Anyway, thanks for a wonderful story! It's been one of my all-time favourites, and I will certainly miss it. (So this is not a happy ending for me ;-))

--- Martin

The End

This is one of the most wonderful tales I have ever been privileged to read. I say that without reservation. I have appreciated your insight into human nature throughout, as well as your technical skills in writing dialogue (which is much harder than most people understand). Certainly your perspective will vary from what your readers have, as will your desire as to how it ends. But it IS your baby. The plethora of comments you get shows how much your efforts are appreciated. I wrote stories for different sites many years back, but I was never at your level. You might well consider a career as an author. I applaud your being realistic enough to understand that Chris HAD to go back to being Chris or the whole tone of the story would have been damaged beyond repair. Like everyone I admire both Chris and Tina, and wish any of my children could be like either of them (yes I know they are the same person but you understand what I mean). I do so hope you continue writing. You have a real skill at understanding human nature and writing stories that are NOT centered around gonads. I have enjoyed this story and it has helped me tremendously during my failing marriage. Now, like Chris, I shall have to find a way to sort things out for myself. Thank you for the loan of your talent as a crutch when I needed it most. God bless.

Wow what a response

Tiff, I hope you are not feeling bad about some of the comments on the final chapter. I think the passion with which people are responding to this story shows how strong a story it is and how much your readers were drawn into Chris/Tina's world and cared for all the characters. This is really one of the best stories on BC. Great job.

Great story.

I think it was quite well written. Not everything has a fairy-tale "happily ever after" ending, and I think this was perfectly suited to the story.

Xaltatun

Magic

With magic everything is possible. The fairytale began in
Chapter 1, so why demand logic know.

Not Magic, per se - No More Tina

RAMI

Even though they were called Wizards, the transformation was not "Magic" in the traditional sense of the word. The transformation, was the result of a scientific experiment that showed that such a transformation was possible.

So, once the transformation was completed, those who caused the transformation were no longer in complete control of what happened, either to Chris/Tina mentally or to Chris/Tina and all the others surrounding him/her.

While, it might have been possible to create a scenario where Tina survived and Chris disappeared (Eg: A car or camping accident on the way home from Boy Scout Camp), I agree with many others that that scenario would not have played out as well. Chris had to return. Tina's background story was fragile at best.

Could there be a future tale where Chris decides to become a female again, that would be possible if Tiff wanted it. But that person would not be TINA. Laurie would not be her cousin, Aunt Jen would not be her Aunt, she would not live in Alaska, her relationship with both Andy and Caitlin would not exist, and likely she could not pull off her running shtick. How she related to the Quinn's would depend on how Chris was made to disappear, which might be difficult under a new set of circumstances.

RAMI

RAMI

Wrong question

I think at the end the question is whether which gender has the better pluses and minuses and that is the wrong question to ask. The right question is which gender suits one DESPITE the minuses. For those folks who HAVE crossed the gender line and who have lived both intimatedly, the differences are the differences, and just is. There is no superior gender. The gender that enables one to live most exhuberantly and express all aspects of yourself to the fullest is the one that is best. Nobody can be totally 'neutral' as has been suggested.

Chris seems to have all the trappings of success for a male teenager and the like: He is the big man on campus - he's the the respect, he has scholarship money up the wazoo and I suspect if he really wanted to he could get any girl he wants. He (as Tina) is honored.

However, the way he seems to present all this 'success' is as if it was some kind of litany. Including the fact he has a 'Great Dad'.

At the end however, there is the 'but' and one can read the tea leaves that he is a tough kid and he will get over it. That is pure supposition only and is not nailed down in my eyes.

I do not see the definitive statement at the end saying that I am so happy and relieved to be a guy again.

The emotional exhuberance for being a man just is not there. The usual metric of hey, I physically beat all comers at running, I am a leader, just does not seem to matter as much, nice as it is, to him. I am strong. Man I rock. I am tough. I am a really manly man. Rah.

There does not seem to be emotional satisfaction when it all comes down to it. After experiencing the expansion of emotional space and intimacy (eg the sharing) being a woman offers and being rebuffed for trying to recapture that, except on the sly with a dribble from his sister Marla, well it sucks. Men just do not bond that way. I tried to do it the woman's way of bonding with other boys growing up but quickly understood that did not work and just caused confusion.

So having been shown a greater 'path', he now has to reconcile to what is 'allowed'.

We are from the government. We are here to help you. NOT.

Kim

As It Should Be

First and foremost, I want to applaud Tiff on her story. From the get-go it was far different from most of the other stories that I've read, and I applaud her efforts to write a story about an honest reaction to a situation where someone is actually turned from a guy into a girl. In so many stories the main character realizes their predicament and IMMEDIATELY starts pleasuring themselves (who would really do that?) or else it is revealed that they have always cross-dressed or have always wanted to be a girl. It was fascinating to actually read about a realistic reaction. The first half of the story where Chris is coming to terms with his situation, getting acclimated or whatever, were fantastic. Unfortunately, I had a couple issues with some of the other aspects of the story.
The first was, for me, the most forgivable. The whole premise of the story about him having to become a girl in order to go undercover was never actually realized. There wasn't a single thing that he did that any other real girl couldn't have done. They wouldn't have had to use an experimental procedure, spend months training a boy to be a girl, etc. You can't tell me that anywhere else in the world, country, or even city they couldn't have found another girl that was at least as trustworthy as him, as smart as him, and as capable as him. However, I realize that this is a story and you must have a premise for the change, and so I'm willing to swallow that particular bit of plot.
Something I don't buy so much is all of his angst in the second half of the story. We don't know much about Chris. However, what we do know is that presumably he is a very happy normal boy. He seems to have a great home life, he loves his parents and his siblings. He excels at running. He's a good student. He has lots of friends, and what seems to be a good girlfriend. More importantly, he doesn't have any secret desire to be a girl. Virtually the first thing he says in this whole story is that he REALLY likes being a boy.
Now, cutting ahead to about halfway through the story somebody asks him if he wants to return to being a guy, or if he'd prefer to stay a girl for the rest of his life. Up until that point he had been adapting fairly well to being a girl. He was making friends, learning the ropes, practicing getting dressed, doing his hair, etc. But there was nothing in there, no internal monologue, that suggested that he loved it. That getting up in the morning and deciding which skirt to wear suddenly changed his life in a way that deciding on a pair of jeans had not. Very suddenly, without warning, the readers suddenly discover that he loves being a girl and wearing girls clothing, and it wasn't there before that moment.
Same thing with the friendships. Sure, she seems to be making some good friends as a girl. Hanging out, having some good conversations, even having a few heart to hearts. But there didn't seem to me to be anything there to suggest that all of his earlier relationships were SO inferior to the relationships that he had just started. One of the common threads in these stories seems to be that girls have all of the good friendships and that guys just don't connect with each other and their relationships are all superficial. I don't buy it. There may be less dialogue, may be less hugging. But I don't believe that male relationships are any less valid, and can be just as close. It is simply expressed in a different way. Again, without knowing more about his pre-transformation relationships not much can be said. But he seemed to like people and they liked him, and we have no reason to assume that he was unhappy before.
Which leads me to Andy. One of the biggest issues that I had with the story was the quickness that their relationship started. Boy and girl go hiking together, girl and boy get aroused, girl gets confused, girl goes on a little run, and everything is right with the world and they get started dating. Chris spent his entire life as a boy, and there was no indication that he was attracted to other boys. Suddenly he gets turned into a girl and he starts dating a boy with barely a second thought? No matter which body he was inhabiting he was still Chris with all of Chris's memories. And there is no normal heterosexual teenage boy that would be put into that situation without the word "gay" running through their head at least once. Worrying about it a little bit would be the normal thing to do. But Tina went for one run (albeit an intense run) and she never looked back. I simply don't believe that there wouldn't be more drama coming from "brain central", even after spending that much time as a girl.
And so all of this drama about will she/won't seemed very contrived to me. She was happy as a boy, spent her whole life as a boy, and with barely a month of experience as a girl she suddenly wants to throw it all away? Her two week old relationship was just that, two weeks old. Anybody who would have let her stay as a girl to remain in a high school relationship with a boy after such a short amount of time would have been a fool. Against all odds the relationship would have endured, but more than likely it would not have. Not when half of marriages fail, and god only knows the ratio of non-marriage relationships that last. She would have been giving up her entire history, all of her previous friendships, all of her previous accomplishments, and her parents would not even be biologically her parents any more. What kind of parents would give up their son for a daughter that wasn't even theirs any more without a fight? And I don't buy the clothing argument. It feels too superficial for that to actually be the argument that turns the tide and makes him want to stay a girl.
It just felt to me like his previous life wasn't bad enough, and his new life wasn't good enough for him to really want it to change. It felt to me more like the readers of the story wanted him to stay Tina, in spite of the fact that Chris had no inclination to stay Tina. And Tiff met their demands because of the nature of this website. There is a very common mindset here that being female is better than being male. Virtually every story ends with the main character at the end of the story wanting to be a girl, and deciding to stay that way. And when I read about Chris, read his thoughts, there was nothing there that suggested to me that he would be happier as a girl. Until the author decided very abruptly to make him think that.
I find stories about people that want to be girls that suddenly get changed into them boring. This one was leaps and bounds ahead of so many of them. For the second half of the story I was a little annoyed, mostly because I thought that people were injecting too much of themselves into the character, and not letting him be who he is. One person mentioned that he would probably cross dress later on. Nonsense. He never cross-dressed before, and who could bear to go from having an actual female body that fits the garments like it's supposed to, to having a male body that has to have "things" stuck here and there to pretend to have a female body. It wouldn't happen, not for anything meaningful.
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting that he couldn't end up as a female at the end of the story. Mistakes happen, covers get blown, machines get blown up, etc. I simply do not believe that it would be his choice to stay female. I applaud TiffQ for her story. I thought it was well written, well conceived, and largely realistic. I was praying the entire time that you would choose the right ending, and I believe that you did, even if I disagreed with the question even being brought up in the manner that it was. Congratulations on a great work. And I hope that I don't sound too critical, because you made me read through 55 chapters of this. And I have never, and will probably never again, post about another story.

Three Years

Was checking on something and somehow came to this last chapter of a great series. Hard to beleive that it ended three years ago. The Chris/Tina storyline was always interesting.

So after a 3 year hiatus perhaps TiffQ is free to take us on another adventure.
\

Rami

RAMI

I'm thinking about it

TiffQ's picture

Actually, maybe a little more than thinking. I've been playing around with a new--and likely very controversial--story line. It'll be at least a year before it's ready--if ever. I'll need to find a new editor though.

Thanks, however, to all you great writers who keep this site going! I love the stories.

My best to everyone... Tiff Q

Tiff Q

A few years later....

I came across this tale just recently and to be honest I could not "put it down" so to speak. It has been an exciting journey, though I think a melancholic ending. That Chris could not continue as Tina was a given, but was he/she really given a choice? I feel that Chris has felt the need to conform to others expectations....or at least what that what I feel. I have had to sit on the gender divide most of my life due to birth anomalies and it's no fun.

I hope you do write some more Tiff as this was excellent reading.
Joanna

A gem!

I recently read this story and i have to applaud Tiff, this is an excellent story. I couldn't put it down when I started out reading it. you sold the concept very well and even though I didn't start out believing a person could be happy after a "forced transition" the way you depict Kris/Chris is rather convincing. i felt the end was bittersweet but still an awesome tale.
Bravo

Sydney Moya

It's been a few years since

It's been a few years since the last comment but I thought I would add a few words. Chris always knew he couldn't stay as Tina not without giving up his whole life up to that time including parents he had a good relationship with and sisters he loved he didn't really expect his relationship with Laurie to last and it was even less a romantic one after he found out why she became his girlfriend. I wondered if he would get together with Caitlin but as he said it would be very hard to be close and not freak her out by acting like Tina which would not be good boyfriend behavior so that would not last either, so he came out of it with college paid for and a deeper relationship with most of his family, and some hardwon knowledge and experience, and those always change you. He said he was getting help and therapy. I think his final decision was inevitable given the amount of time he spent female if it had been longer it might have been different but the story was about living as a girl for a time ultimately plausibility was not as important to the tale.I have to say I enjoyed and I would like to see more from this author it's been 3 years isn't another one due? Please

well done

some sadness, but he will be okay, and whatever lady gets him will be very lucky indeed. Thank you for sharing this

DogSig.png

Something feels strange

This is a great saga and a wonderful job of writing. There are a lot of comments about the ending but I think it fits. From the beginning it was made clear Tina was for the summer only and Chris was never ready to give up his family. He knew a future with Laurie was never certain and it grew less certain as the summer moved along. I never thought Caitlin was a good match for him romantically. One thing that was said was that he would retain experiences and learn from them, as he gets older his time as a girl should blend and merge with his life as a young man. Unless the procedure becomes public though he should settle for being known as perceptive and knowledgeable about women. He needs to find a girlfriend who will accept him without questioning his insights.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

“For Tina”

Lucy Perkins's picture

Thank you so much Tiff for this compelling story.
I have read this over the last week, having read your more recent work and decided to read your older stories.
And what a story!
I am overwhelmed by the emotions of reading about these wonderful people. Sure, we all love a fairy tale, and I would have loved Tina to stay, or Chris to have married Laurie, but neither of those things could ever happen, and so your bittersweet ending was perfect.
I must admit, though, that the running team shouting “For Tina” moved me beyond words. I struggled to explain to my dear wife why I was sobbing ..even after giving her enough of a precis that she is off reading the whole story now.
I really hope that she enjoys it as much as I did, we do like to share emotional moments.
Once again, thank you Tiff, you have moved me beyond expression.
Love Lucy xxxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Grieving?

Daphne Xu's picture

It doesn't sound as if enough grieving was done over Tina's supposed demise. Nor enough self-reflection, on the part of the various government agents.

Dan caught elements of Chris in Tina, a couple of which were blatant. Does he catch elements of Tina in Chris?

Nothing ever came of the "Wizards" and their process -- okay, perhaps from Chris's view, nothing would. At least he got back without scrambling his body -- despite the process never having been tested before.

I'm cynical about security classification in general. The popular notion of keeping weapons technology from the bad guys is completely naïve.

Years ago, I read a novel which included a (needless) side story. A man carried a securely-locked briefcase chained to his wrist, and another man made it his life's mission, worthy of a fortune spent, to get just a glance at the briefcase's contents. Near the end of the novel, he does. The briefcase contained secret designs for 64K RAMs. The character wasn't disappointed. The author was simply ignorant that 64K RAMs were going obsolete if they weren't already. The info was useless, and could trivially be produced by a competent electronic engineer.

The one technology they really have any reasonable ability to keep secret and suppressed from the Bad Guys was the Wizards' body-changing technology. Most likely, it's kept secret from the lab as well.

-- Daphne Xu

A wonderful, but personally disturbing tale……

D. Eden's picture

I happened on this story a few days ago, and just finished reading it.

It is perhaps one of the best, most stirring, stories I have read in a very long time. There were many times when I was brought to tears by the story, many when I had to stop reading because I was so upset by something in it, and I will readily admit that I spent several days working through depression caused by the changes in the relationship between Chris/Tina and Laurie.

Perhaps my biggest mistake was in reading the last several chapters while eating dinner in a restaurant. The waitress has come by twice now to ask if I am OK. I have been sitting here fighting back tears while reading this final chapter.

I had been holding out hope that somehow the relationship between Chris and Laurie would survive - but that is what had me so depressed throughout the story as it became more and more evident it would not. This struck a chord within me as I see many of the same issues between my spouse and myself. I transitioned about six years ago, and after some rough times, we managed to work through our issues and we are still together - still married. I still love her desperately, and she loves me as well - but not in the same way. Like Laurie could not see Chris within Tina, my wife cannot see the man she married within me.

Like Chris, it is the things that made me the man she fell in love with that make me the woman I am now. But like Laurie, my wife cannot see past the packaging and the changes to the person she once loved. Yes, we are best friends still - as we always were. But that is all there is now; everything else is gone.

Like Tina, I worry every day that one day she will find someone else she desires to be with. And like Chris/Tina, I know that when it happens there is not a thing I can do about it but wish them all the happiness they can find.

But it hurts. Every day it hurts.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Took me several years to read this story

Wendy Jean's picture

because I want to savor it. Dorothy pointed this story out, and it lived up to her review. I really really enjoyed this story. Thank you.