Something Feels Strange - 12

Printer-friendly version
Something Feels Strange…

Feels Strange


The three women just stare at me for a few moments with surprised expressions.

"I see you have a problem," Mrs. Harrison breaks the silence.

"You think?" I reply sarcastically.


Chapter 12: Clearing the Air


Did you know that running in a billowing skirt is challenging?  I didn't until just now.  That cool-feeling piece of feminine attire is a royal pain in the ass when you want to run.  I don't get far.

After my little outburst, I turned on my heel and made a quick exit from the cabin with tears streaming down my face. I crossed the expansive lawn to the lake edge, looking for a trail that would take me out of sight of the lodge.  The combination of the skirt and Laurie's sandals put an end to an extended flight. In total frustration, I just sit down on the lawn.

I discovered another problem with a skirt.  As I plopped myself down, it billowed out and I ended up sitting my pantied butt directly on the coarse crab grass. To put it mildly it is not at all comfortable.  I think that I have a thorn of some kind in my panties.

To add insult to injury, a swarm of mosquitoes decides that it is lunch time and that I am the main course on the menu. If you have never seen Alaskan mosquitoes, then you have never seen a real mosquito before.  These things look like small birds. Really. I swear, the perfume that Laurie put on me this morning must attract them.

So here I sit. In a very unlady-like fashion, in a skirt, course grass poking me in the butt, mosquitoes eating me alive, and a world of people conspiring against me. My new boss, my ex-girlfriend and her mother, my family–just about everybody. And all I can do is cry. Oh, and don't forget about the four camouflage wearing soldiers carrying automatic weapons and big packs that just popped out of the woods. Great.

Just when I thought I had a grip on things, it seems as if someone has come along and turned my world upside down. Until now, I have been feeling pretty good about how I was handling all this, so how did it get out of control so fast?

One of the soldiers sees my predicament with the insects and offers me some spray-on mosquito repellant. Without looking at his face, I just take the can and angrily start spraying all over myself, including up my skirt. I discover that bug dope stings the eyes and tastes horrible. I start to gag and spit–much to the amusement of the soldiers.

I glare at them. "What's your problem," I demand.

They all back up a step and look at each other with that 'what's wrong with this chick' expression.

The guy who loaned me the spray says, "You're not from around here, I can tell, or you wouldn't have sprayed that in your face. Most folks around here spray some on their hand then rub it on their face.  That way you don't eat it or get it in your eyes.

"Look Miss, it is apparent that you are having a bad day here and none of us are counselors. We'll just mosey on and let you sort it out, okay?" he says cautiously.

My tears have stopped but I am feeling pretty foolish. I am sure that my makeup is a mess. "Sure. Ah... thanks for the bug dope." I tell them sheepishly, handing it back to the soldier.

"Hey, Chica, it can only get better from here," another soldier tosses my way as they disappear back into the forest.

I am still sitting on the ground with grass poking my panties, but I ponder that last comment.  Somehow it sounds like the best thought that has come my way all day.  Strange, but that comment is what allows me to pull myself together.  It can't get much worse.

I still wish that I could go for a run, but figure now is as good of time as any to do my heavy thinking. I can't do this sitting down, so I get up and find an informal path around the edge of the lake, obviously made by fisherman. The path is pretty rugged and overgrown, but I can negotiate it, after a fashion, wearing a skirt.

I still have grass in my panties so I duck behind a bush looking carefully around before I drop my skirt and slip to brush the grass off my butt.  Somewhere not too far away someone lets loose with a 'wolf' whistle which is followed by a slap and a grunt–So much for privacy! At this point, I don't care.  At least not too much.

Picking my way around the lake, I start to think.

So, I ask myself, what exactly is the problem?

Let's start easy and work to the hard part.

First off, a group of people has been spying on me all winter. So what is wrong with that?  It is not like I was doing anything wrong. Yeah, but isn't that invasion of privacy? Maybe in a way, but I've done it myself.  What guy hasn't checked out a girl for like forever before getting the nerve to talk to her or ask her out? I remember checking out Allison McIntyre in 7th grade.  I figured out where she lived, who she hung out with, what her favorite soda pop was, what her favorite TV show was and more long before I had the guts even talk to her at school. I suppose that some folks would call that stalking, but everyone does it.  As near as I can tell, girls do it more than boys when they have the hots for someone. The object of their desire is often the last to know.  In a way, the Lab's interest in me is similar; it is just that their methods are much more sophisticated. They were just checking out a potential relationship. Okay, I won't worry about this issue again. I can understand what they did and I can live with it.

Dang this skirt! It seems to get hung up on every piece of foliage in the forest! The sandals aren't much good on this path either. My legs are getting scratched up by the brush.

A more difficult problem is that they turned me into a girl without my consent.  What is so bad about that?  First of all, while I never wanted to be a girl, it doesn't seem so bad once you're there.  Heck half the world deals with it.  It's just a different perspective, right?  Also, importantly, the condition, in my case, is only temporary. In a way, it is a kind of adventure.  No, the real problem is not that they turned me into a girl, but that they did it without asking for my consent.  That is a real problem.

I am pretty sure that the head of the security team should be called on the carpet for jumping the gun.  Somebody should at least give the decision maker a piece of her mind.  I'd gladly volunteer for the job.

As much as I hate to admit it, though, that first night in the store really served two useful purposes.  For the security team, it was a great test of my character–which I passed. Evidently they felt better about the second unauthorized transformation after analyzing my response to the first one. For me, I got a small, though confused, taste at what was to come and had a week for my subconscious mind to work on it–with a little help from my family and friends.  The experience awakened a curiosity in me that I had never had before.

So besides the principle of the thing, there was no harm done. As we say in pickup basketball: no harm, no foul. I guess I can let this issue go too, but I still want word to get back to the team that they must watch their step.

Okay, so now we are left with the really big problem–Laurie.

By now I am about half way around the small lake–actually you could call in a big pond.  I stoop to pick up a handful of small stones, then sit down on a fallen log by the lake, taking care to smooth my skirt under me this time.  While I continue my pondering, I toss the stones, one by one, into the lake.

Laurie. 

The dilemma.

Does she love me or does she love me not?  I feel like I should be plucking at a daisy.

Let's look at the facts.

First off, she only noticed me because she was assigned to observe me. Am I that featureless as a guy that a girl has to be assigned to me to notice me?  I've never had much luck getting noticed by girls. Not even my sisters. That is a deflating thought. I guess the guys on the cross country running team are not exactly babe magnets. I have never understood why the prettiest girls go after Neanderthals, but they do. A stray thought crosses my mind, that maybe I can find out why they do, now that I'm masquerading as a girl. That could be useful information.

Now, just because she was assigned to check me out doesn't necessarily mean that her feelings for me are fake. She is a pretty good actress if they are. But would she put herself on a shelf for a year just for an assignment?  Maybe, if the pay was good enough. I just don't know. There is only one person who really knows for sure. I look across the lake at the cabin and wonder what she is thinking.

Now, it is true that we have kept our relationship pretty low key physically. Is this because she can only act so well and is repulsed about taking it further? That is possible, but actually, it was I who proposed keeping it that way. I like to keep things under control so as not to complicate life. Does that decision just make her job easier, or is she genuinely just a good girl that wants to stay that way? Again, there is only one person to ask and she is sitting in the cabin across the lake.

Where can we go from here? Obviously we can't play boyfriend/girlfriend this summer. Even if she was into girls, a lesbian relationship would have the same emotional baggage as the heterosexual one we have been putting off until we are ready to handle it. I don't think that either one of us is ready for that yet. That means, at best, we can be best friends this summer. Best girl friends doesn't seem like the right term either. I'm a guy with a girl's body as a disguise, after all. I guess that means that we are just best friends, leaving gender out of it.

I run out of stones, so I continue picking my way around the lake.

I am pretty sure that Laurie at least likes me as a friend. I have dreaded the day when she will suggest that we be 'just friends'–the kiss of death for any romantic relationship. My Dad has told me that it is more than likely that I will hear that phrase more than once before I find the girl that wants to spend the rest of her life with me as much as I want to spend the rest of mine with her. In fact, I am likely to use it on a girl or two myself.  It is best not to rush into situations which you will later regret.  Sex being one of those situations. He tells me that, contrary to what Hollywood would have us believe, sex is an emotional hand grenade best used within a well developed relationship. So far I have believed him. So chances are, Laurie is not THE ONE, but I would certainly like to end up with a girl like her when I am old enough to settle down. Dad tells me that I have lots of time and I should date a few more girls before making a decision about whom to settle down with.  There are other things to worry about first–such as my education. This all sounds reasonable, but I am hoping right now that Laurie is the one.

Okay, so I am wandering a bit, both physically and mentally.

So what is the bottom line?

First, if she loves me then we can work through this summer as friends and learn more about each other in ways that we never dreamed of.  This could be a great relationship builder as long as we both know that my 'condition' is temporary.

Second, if she loves me not but at least thinks I'm a nice guy then we can work at being co-workers and maybe get to the point where we are just friends. I will end up with a heartache, but that would happen anyway. It would be better to end our relationship as friends than enemies. I am sure that a break up won't be fatal. It will just hurt a lot.

If it turns out that she has been leading me on only out of a sense of duty then, we'll just work at being colleagues. I haven't always liked co-workers in the past when assigned to groups for school and scouting projects, but we were able to get the job done. It would be tough but we could do it.

So–those are all the options I can come up with.

By now I have completed my circuit of the small lake.  Looking up at the cabin, I see the ladies standing by the picture window watching me.  I give them a little wave and get three hesitant waves back.  I beckon to Laurie to come join me.  It is time for our talk.

Laurie is more sensibly dressed than I am–she's wearing jeans and a nice T-shirt. Wise girl.

Soon she is attacked by the same insects that came after me.  Looking into the forest I shout, "Is there anybody out there that can spare some bug dope?"

A can comes flying out of the woods. Those guys hide pretty well. "Keep it, Chica," comes a voice from the forest.

"Thanks, guys," I called out in reply.

After dousing Laurie with Alaskan perfume, we sit together on the grass by the lake. I make sure to smooth my skirt under my tush this time.

After a couple minutes of quiet contemplation, Laurie tentatively asks, "Kris? Are you going to be okay? Do you hate me?"

Thinking for a couple of seconds, I reply, "Oh, I'm sure I'll be okay.  I don't know whether or not to hate you yet.

"Laurie?", I struggle to ask the big question, "has it been a sham? Have you been pretending to like me all this time?"

She is quiet for a minute before she starts. "Kris, I know you don't trust me right now, but I hope that you try to understand what I am about to tell you. I promise that I will tell you the truth."

Oh no–this sounds ominous.

After taking a deep breath she begins; "Last summer, Mom asked me to help her with a project at work.  She said that they were recruiting someone for a special job at the Lab and this person needed to meet a set of stringent criteria.  They had already identified four likely candidates. I was acquainted with two of them, but you and one other I did not know at all. I was given questionnaires to fill out on each one you.  I was able to answer most of the questions for the two that I knew, but had to find a way to get to know the other two of you before I could answer any of the questions about you.

"It was suggested that I take the math course because both of you were in that class.  The electronics course was suggested since you were enrolled in it and you were already a leading candidate for the job. I suspect that your lead was a result of high your grades and scouting experience. The electronics class looked like a good way for us to meet. I was qualified to take both courses, but they were not on my schedule. I am, as you know, more interested in history and political science than technical subjects. Anyway, I decided to take the classes. They would look good on my transcripts if nothing else.

"I must admit it was exciting to play the secret agent. I also admit that I used my feminine wiles on you that first month to get you to 'help' me with my math and electronics. The 'maiden-in-distress' move is particularly effective on you," she said with a sad smile.

Ouch!  That hurts!  I was suckered!

"Anyway, after a couple of weeks I was able to complete the first questionnaires and sent them in.  I didn't hear back from Mom's team for a couple of weeks, so I was thinking my job was done," she continued.

"After submitting the first questionnaires, I found that I was indeed a maiden-in-distress. I didn't particularly like either the math or electronics courses and was struggling. Your help was greatly appreciated. I'm not sure when it happened, but sometime in there as you were helping me, I really started to like you. You are a genuinely nice guy."

Nice guy!? Another bad sign. The term 'nice guy' is right up there with 'let's be friends'. I am starting to get depressed.

"You'd be surprised how hard it is for a girl to find a guy that she can trust.  Someone who is not just trying to get into her panties all the time," she says. "You are different. You are the kind of guy that a girl can take home to meet her parents. You also treated me like an equal and with respect. No guy had ever done that to me before. I knew that you were interested in me, but I have been suspicious of male intentions since Pam's troubles, so I was careful to keep things platonic and was happy to learn that you wanted the same."

Pam is one of Laurie's best friends and is a single mother at the age of seventeen.  The story, as I understand it, is that she was dating some Neanderthal and he convinced her that he was truly in love with her. One afternoon when they were alone at her house after school, she finally relented to his pressure and had sex with him. By sundown, the Neanderthal, had spread the word about his conquest.  The next day at school was a living hell for Pam. She was branded as a slut and all the sleaziest guys were trying to get their piece of her.  It wasn't too long after that that she found out that she was pregnant and she had to let her family know.  It wasn't fun, but fortunately her parents were there for her and helped her through the crisis.  The caveman refused to take responsibility for anything so it took court action to get him to help pay for the baby once she decided to keep it.  Pam is now struggling with taking care of a baby boy and trying to get through high school.  She has few friends and no social life.  This is not what she dreamed of for herself at this point in her life.  It is a sad, but is an all too common tale.

We know others of our peer group that are engaged in sexual activities, but they all seem to be carrying around a lot of emotional baggage with them. Particularly the girls.  It is our observation of these problems that has kept us from the next level in our relationship.

Laurie continues, "I never told you this, and it must not go any further, but after that first day back at school, Pam tried to commit suicide because she felt so bad.  Her mother found her passed out on the floor of the bathroom with an empty bottle of pills beside her.  They were lucky to get her to the hospital in time.  I spent the weekend at the hospital crying with her.  She told me more about the actual experience with the caveman.  He had been pressuring her for weeks to have sex.  He told her that if she loved him as much as he loved her that it was the right thing to do. She eventually fell for the argument. When they were making out at her house after school one day, she finally let him feel her up.  One thing led to another and it took only minutes for him to heat up; before she knew it, he was practically tearing the clothes off her.  She tried to get him to slow down, but all he could think of was to get his thing poked inside her pussy. He was rough and came fast. It was a painful experience for her and he didn't seem to care. All he could say after he was done was that he couldn't wait to try it again.  He had no regard for her feelings. He didn't even stick around, he just got dressed and left with a big smile on his stupid face.  She felt violated and used.  It wasn't at all like she expected. She locked herself in her room and cried her eyes out that night. Then, the next day when the whole school seemed to know what happened, she really fell apart. The caveman had the nerve to ask her if she was up for another round after school.  It was obvious that the jerk didn't care about her, just about satisfying his own animal lust.

"Anyway, after that weekend with Pam, I decided that my first time would be different. Some of the girls I know who are sexually active tell me that I'm a dreamer and a hopeless romantic. Sex is just sex but I don't see it that way.  I want it to be something special. It's been my observation that sex without friendship and true emotional bonding seems to destroy relationships instead of building them.

"What's great about you, is that you seem to understand that. Oh, I can feel you get aroused when we are kissing–I get aroused too–but you keep it under control.  You respect my feelings.

"As I got to know you more, I came to trust you and like you a whole lot. Is it love? I hope that true love is something like what I feel for you, but we are still young.  As we are constantly reminded, it is likely that our hormones have more control than reason at this point in our lives.  I figure that there's lots of life left to live and I have some big goals. I don't want to do anything to complicate or compromise the future, so I want us to take our time and just enjoy the ride. If it works out for us, I'll be very happy, but if not, hopefully we will each find something even better and still cherish the time that we've had together. Do you understand what I am saying?"

"What I think you are saying," I say softly, "is that you connected with me because you were told to, but found that you liked what you found.  However, we are just good friends at this point."

"Well," she says sheepishly, "maybe a little more than just good friends. And I don't want to lose that, though I think that we might after what has happened to you if you can't forgive me.  Let me finish the story. There are a few more things that I feel bad about that you need to know."

The heartache is growing, but at least she is not saying that she maintained the loving facade when she actually didn't like me.  That seems like a small victory.

"After the first month or so, you and one other person were the only ones still in the running for the Lab job.  The other person is a real girl and I better not tell you who she is. I was game to have an excuse to move forward with getting closer to you at that point since I had come to realize what a rare find you are. Over the winter I filled out a number of other questionnaires on the two of you and, as I did so, I was starting to feel like a traitor to you as my feelings for you grew.  I was assured that the information was going to be used for a good purpose and I was actually helping you to attain a great honor. The past few months, most of the questions have been about you instead of the other person, so I figured that you were becoming the favored candidate for whatever was up. I began again to worry more about what was happening and was again reassured that something good was going to happen.

"Well, imagine my surprise that Friday morning a week and a half ago, when Mom took me to work with her.  Something urgent was going on.  A panel of people quizzed me on every aspect of your personality and character.  They wanted to know the details of our relationship and didn't believe me at first when I said that it was not sexual.  This went on for over an hour, then I was left to wait in my mother's office for several more hours with strict instructions not to contact anyone.  I had to ignore your messages.

"By early afternoon some decision had been reached and it was decided to include me in the process.  I went before the panel again and was asked if I was willing to help with a project that involved national security and could possibly save the lives of many people.  What could I say?  Who wouldn't like to be a part of such a thing? So I said yes. That is when they told me of the plan to transform you into a girl to work at the lab on a secret assignment for the summer.  It sounded so unbelievable, but it didn't take a rocket scientist figure out if they could do that, that this was an undercover assignment of some sort. I argued with them, that if they had to transform you, at least they could make you a different male.  They said that that that wouldn't work but wouldn't share with me the reasons.  I suspect that it is because a girl might find it easier to work into the confidence of whoever the bad guys are.

"They did tell me that they had planned to do the transformation a week later when school got out, but that circumstances had caused them to move up the schedule and they didn't have time to ease you into the role. They also said that there was still a chance that they could go back to the old schedule, but that we had to move that night to do the initial work in case they couldn't. They wanted me to help by outfitting you with a basic wardrobe.  They felt that having someone around that you trusted would help you with the transition. I was told that I couldn't tell you what was going on since there also was a chance that they might pull the plug on the whole assignment and they didn't want you to know what was happening if they did.  They were aware that the outfitting would be a temporary transformation and could be made to appear to be a dream.

"I agreed to help for a number of reasons.  First, I wanted to be there to help you.  I knew that this was going to be hard for you and I knew that you would need a friend. It was going to happen even if I didn't help.  Next, as I thought about it, I figured that we could turn this into a test to see if we liked each other for who we are and not just for our genders.  I figure that if we can still be friends after taking sex out of the equation, then there is hope for greater things for us.  Sorry, Kris, I know that I am being selfish here, but I want us to be the best of friends for who we are, not for what we can do to each other.

"If it is any consolation, I did try to convince them to let you know beforehand what was to happen, but somebody on the committee was really against the idea. I told them that they could trust you to be discrete but nobody listened to me. Sorry.

"I felt that the best thing that I could do for you was to be there to help you with the change as best I could.  I doubt that you would have liked to work with some cold analytical bitch who is more interested in the mission than you. I was willing to take the risk that you'd hate me so that I could help you. The same can be said for our mothers and Marla.  Does that make any sense?"

I nod affirmatively as I ponder on this wild story.  It is not much wilder than anything else that I've experienced lately and it fits with what I've been told.

When I don't immediately answer she asks, "Can we still be friends?"

Can we still be friends?  That is the big question.  I look into her pleading eyes looking for any sign of deception.  I don't see any.  I see a girl who has just cleansed her soul. The tears are there to prove it and her makeup is a mess.

So, it looks like condition number one from my private ponderings is the correct answer.   That means that we can at least try to be friends.  As much as I would love to hate her right now, friendship feels like a much better option.

I still feel bad that her initial 'interest' in me was motivated by the assignment, but at least I am sure now that her current affection for me is genuine.

"I think so," I reply, "but it'll take some time for me to trust you fully again. I like you a lot and I was hoping that you really liked me too. I've been having my doubts about that."

"Kris," she says with hope in her voice, "I do like you–a lot. I would prefer to have you as a male friend, but I like that we are going to be able to spend the summer together after all. It will be a unique summer. I'll just miss the making out!"

"Me too," I say sadly as we share a sisterly hug.

Laurie's tears have changed to tears of relief.  I find myself crying too, for the identical reason.

---< >---

Thanks go to Gabi for her patient efforts in trying to teach me English! This story reads so much better for her efforts.

 

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Am Really Glad That Laurie And Kris Cleared The Air

jengrl's picture

I am really glad that Laurie and Kris cleared the air about things. It would be nice if the Powers-That-Be would do the same, but that seems unlikely. I guess it really gives Laurie and Kris the chance to build a relationship by becoming closer friends. I certainly hope that Laurie will set her mother straight if she continues to give Kris a hard time. I wonder who the committee member was that objected to telling Kris anything beforehand? I am enjoying this story and I look forward to seeing how things go. Great job Tiff!

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Eh? ....It's a start...

I agree with your remarks about clearing the air and maybe this does jumpstart their relationship to a higher level. But as you say, too bad the powers-that-be aren't as trusting or truthful.

Will this talk between the two translate to actions on Laurie's part? I don't know. She claimed she stayed with Chris to help him by having a friend there. While I agree, having a familiar face around considering all he's gone through is admirable, will she be there for Kris when she's tested on things like the shopping trip, the date - both with 'outsiders' or Jennifer's expectations?

On the triple date, will Laurie watch out for Kris, or just expect her to sit back and 'enjoy' the boy?

While Jen might expect that, both Kris and Laurie now know where they stand and Laurie seems to still respect that Kris is still mentally male and not gay. In fact, Kris is lesbian at this point, still preferring girls but her up-bringing demands she respect Laurie.

Laurie also knows how Chris behaved with her, so will her true feelings now allow her to do what she feels is right and 'run interference' if she sees things start getting uncomfortable for Kris or just tow the company line as her mom would?

There's also the question of Laurie's feelings. Now that she's bared herself to Kris, will she feel guilty on making Kris have to sit and watch her 'enjoying' another boy? There might well be some soul-searching and another tearful talk when the two girls turn in that night.

I admit, I was surprised(?) to see that Jennifer didn't come charging out of the cabin to haul Kris back, given the rather short 'leash' she's been kept on.

Even their reaction of pleasantly waving at the window while watching Kris try to sort things out, was very welcome, yet a change in character for the two women given how they've been 'riding' her literally every waking minute. Have they been so focused on the 'mission' that it's just that we haven't seen their 'softer side' and this was a bit of a 'wake-up call', or is this just an act to lull Kris back to them?

Once the two kids do return to the cabin, further reactions to Kris' outburst from Mrs. Harrison and Mrs. Mercer, will also say a lot to how things will proceed. Will they have a new respect for her and ease up a little, freely allowing some personal space or will they remain as unflexible as before? If attitudes and trust can be worked out, Kris thinks things may work out, but the others have to bend as well.

As to your question regarding the identity of the commitee member who objected to informing Chris of events, right now we can only take a look at the known players and guess. Name that person, and you most likely have found the main person involved in the leak.

If jeans were more appropriate for the day, anyone know why Kris was instructed (I assume she was) or conned into wearing a skirt and Laurie isn't?

PB

It was Aunt Jen…

…who suggested Kris wear a skirt;

(Quote from Chapter 11)

Aunt Jen gives me a sharp look and glances down at my legs. I am sitting like a boy again. I try looking nonchalant as I bring my knees together. I suspect that part of my training today will be more practice at acting like a girl.

Continuing, she says, “I suggest that you wear a skirt today for your driver’s test. It never hurts to look good when taking a test. It makes for a good impression.”

“Not only that,” Polly says with a wink, “if the examiner is a man, most of the time a nice skirt will make him feel a bit more lenient. Kind of like making puppy dog eyes at your father when you want something.”

(Unquote)

The only thing I might question is whether this was the REAL reason or just an excuse to get Kris into a skirt?

Gabi

edited: 1923hrs GMT

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Thanks

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Tiff,

Please post more soon? This just keeps getting better and better. Interesting how something that started as a magical fantasy seems to be set so firmly in our mundane world.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Please Mam. I want some more!

Olivia Twist picks up her laptop and walks up to TiffQ. She hols up the empty laptop and says, Please Mam. I want some more!"

Keep it coming please, you have a very good story.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Why Kris/Chris was not followed after the outburst?

Why did no one try to follow her/him to sooth things over, or to explain things, instead of just watching him walk around the lake?

I don't agree to allowing him to have his space in this way at this time when he is highly strung out. To me it just shows they don't care what is happening to him. No one, and I mean no one seemed to want to stop him, or offer help. they just let him go.

When Chris waved at the three standing in the window watching him, I thought you crud's, you didn't even try to go and find out how he was holding up. It is obvious he was having a nervous, or psychological, break down and not even a psychiatrist to help him. Some organization. They don't even try to help him.

When he finally signaled for Laurie to come out and chat, I thought if she really loved him, she would of at least have followed him, right away, chasing after him.

When Laurie and Chris finally got talking, what about security?

It was obvious that troops were working in the woods and they were being overheard, what type of security is this?

All Chris had to do was ask loudly if anyone had any more bug juice and she got it. So they were being overheard.

I had read this and these thoughts all came together, but I had trouble getting it into words and I still am. It just doesn't sound like it would ring quite true, the way it all happened. The two adults maybe, might keep their distance, but I would of believed that Laurie would of sympathized with Chris and chased after him. She realizes what has happened to him was not fair, or just. She really should've been appauled at how things happened and been more of a friend to Chris, to weaken the blow of what had been done to him.

I detest people that abuse others for their own gain and 'damn anyone else' type of attitude, which seems to be prevelant with all the adults that we've seen here so far, even his parents. He is being treated as a robot, and everyone figures all you have to do is reprogram it and everything will be just fine. Well obviously it is not fine, and there is no one that Chris can trust to talk to about anything, especially not Laurie, because of her betrayl to him. I know she tried to explain it finally, but for what was going on I still feel she really did betray him in the end. We will have to see if they can become friends again, for I agree with Chris, Laurie is going to have to earn Chris's trust again.

Technically if I was in Chris's position, I would of went off on everyone by now for not explaining anything and helping the situation of transition.

Will Chris truly survive this summer, or will KRIS become the norm, and Laurie and Kris are nothing more then possible friends and they part on their merry way, and Kris finds out that she can never return to being Chris ever again, and may not want too, when things are over? That one of the key players that made him into a her, dies, or something, that return will not be possible, even if he wants to?

This can go so badly wrong for Chris, and he may lose his manhood permantly. Somehow I think that after a certain amount of time has passed, Chris will never be able to return, and the powers to be, knew it, but the parents and Chris do not; not even Laurie.

Great story so far. But if it really happened, would people act like your writing it? Would they truly be so cold to Chris? I don't know, so I am going by how you are writing it, and please continue writing. I do enjoy the story emmensly.

Hugs
Joni

following Kris

Why did no one try to follow her/him to sooth things over, or to explain things, instead of just watching him walk around the lake?

I don't agree to allowing him to have his space in this way at this time when he is highly strung out. To me it just shows they don't care what is happening to him. No one, and I mean no one seemed to want to stop him, or offer help. they just let him go.

Remember that Kris still had a boy's mind.

Girls like to be supported and talk out their troubles (not necessarily to find solutions, but just to vent and show mutual support). Guys like to go into their caves and brood about it. Chasing Kris/Chris would have been the absolute worst thing to do in that situation.

It has been made plain earlier that she needed time alone to think.

Ray Drouillard

Puzzling

of course it's only the plot device, nonetheless it perplexes me that everyone seemingly could be trusted but Chris. Both mothers, his sister Marla, Laurie of course, they all knew! Way before him. One earlier than the other, but still.

And although he was screened and dissected in every detail short from direct interrogation with or w/o Sodium Pentothal, he was never trusted clearly as much. Yet he is supposed to act and prevail as the key player in some arbitrary shady security operation to catch the baddies that threaten something crucial to the safety of the US. Or the -free- world even.

Up to this point this only makes sense to me if Kris is meant to be used for diversion, at best she is a pawn who could become more valuable later on in the grand scheme of things.

About cleansing the soul, and the pleading tearful eyes to prove she is sincere.. I am sure Chris is willing to believe and forgive Laurie, after all the maiden-in-distress look is particularly effective on him. Were he a _true_ Kris from the heart out, it would never fly. Much pleading and groveling would be needed, and maybe then... But never forgotten.

And just like Joni wrote, I missed concern and empathy from those three. Women. The quintessential embodiment of these traits. *hrmpf* And indeed especially from Laurie.

Jo-Anne

edit: 10:05 pm

not so puzzling

In studies of individuals and social groups the knowledge of being studied does influence behavior, It is a standard practice to not inform a person that they are under review, until one is ready to explain what actions need to change, on the other hand, an in informal way to get a person to change behavior, is to let them know that they are under review.

Selection process

But Chris had already been selected, and members of his family as well as his girlfriend (who assisted in the selection process) were informed of his selection. Only Chris was kept in the dark. In fact, they expected him to dismiss the shopping trip as a strange dream. So, for a week's time he was kept in the dark, supposedly because they might not need him, while his mother, father, older sister, girlfriend and her mother all knew it was coming. I believe the proper name for his role is "bait". His primary job is to get out on the hook and wiggle, and see who bites. To do that, you don't need any briefing or training, just be a willing sucker.

Of course, as anybody who has fished before knows, the bait usually doesn't survive the process, even if you don't catch any fish.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

To me it still is

because after the ultimate decision was made Chris would be their candidate, hence the first transformation and shopping trip. There was a whole week, were any study on him must have been redundant, Where they could have taken the time to bring him up to speed. But they didn't. Why? Because he might have run? Hardly, or their study hasn't been so thorough as they try to let believe.

I'm sure when you set your mind to it, one could think of various reasons, but the one that first comes to my mind is trust. But maybe I've issues that way, so there.

Jo-Anne

Skirt vs Jeans

As Gabi suggested... Jen just wanted to get Kris into a skirt and in retrospect, probably the best way to get Kris to sit more lady-like.

PB

Mouse in the corner

I would have liked to have been a mouse in the corner and heard what those three women said to each other while Chris was out walking off his upset. Might be very revealing. Were there recriminations over the way he has been treated, or was it a discussion of how to reel him back in?

As for the security of the discussion between Chris and Laurie, I suspect that is just what those soldiers were - security. They sure wern't doing anything other than staying concealed, except when Chris first showed up. The word probably went out for somebody to go check on the "girl" but to otherwise leave her alone. A top-notch special operations unit, trained to provide unseen and discrete protection, perhaps under Major Jeffers' command for the period of Chris's stay? A two story log cabin out in the middle of nowhere on a military base? Sounds like a safe house. Of course the troops guarding such a place would be trained to keep their eyes open and their mouths shut. Anybody want to bet that the soldier who is going to run with Chris is part of the same unit?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Interesting....

Anyone else notice that Kris has always been pretty free security-wise to say what she wants? The only time she's really been told what she can and cannot say, had to do with her cover story for the Jeffers.

Now everybody else has apparently been briefed on what is permissable around Kris. Sounds like she's being groomed with selective information, to be bait.

"Kris," she says with hope in her voice, "I do like you—a lot. I would prefer to have you as a male friend, but I like that we are going to be able to spend the summer together after all. It will be a unique summer. I'll just miss the making out!"

If those soldiers were not associated with Maj. Jeffers intelligence unit, Laurie just let the cat out of the bag re Kris' sex-change if near-by ears where quick enough to catch it.

Anybody want to bet that the soldier who is going to run with Chris is part of the same unit?

That's a given ... but who is the soldier protecting Kris from? Why offer protection on a secure base? For that matter, why all the protection if in fact that was the reason for the ground-troops? The only ones that know she's there are involved with the project. Any threat to Kris' safety should be in Calif. at the Labs.

The 'runner' seemed to be Maj. Jeffers own inititive ... were the other soldiers as well? He did seem a little troubled to hear Kris' story vs his own, when they were talking at the BBQ and his experiance in the intel game might've sent up a few red flags.

If he suspects something doesn't sit right, that soldier who'll be running with Kris, may also be gathering intel by befriending Kris, for the Maj. Possible?

PB

Who says?

... but who is the soldier protecting Kris from?

Who says the soldier is for protection? I suspect access to Chris is being carefully controlled. The major gets that Chris uses the time running to work things out, and he can't be allowed to run alone due to the wild animal danger (both four and two-legged). These sorts of units are already screened, security-wise, so there is no fear that random ears might overhear Chris. These people know that to talk about anybody in that house is not permitted. No danger that soldier is going to go to the PX later and tell everybody about the high school girl she was running with.

But I expect the unit is permanantly assigned to this safe-house. Probably established back in the Cold War days. It would be revealing to only assign troops to the house when they are expecting a visitor, so until such time as the safe-house is taken out of service the troops are there.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Watching over Chris

When they arrived at the cabin it was stated that there must be a range nearby because they suddenly heard a machine gun.

We also get directions to the location of our training facility which turns out to be a large, two story, log cabin overlooking a small lake in a far corner of the post. A car is already here. It is a very quiet and peaceful setting, that is until a machine gun goes off over the hill. There must be a range nearby!

Given Chris’s state of mind and the fact that he is a distance runner he could easily wander into the range and be in serious danger. Unless the soldiers in the woods were there to provide protection it seems that someone should have gone after Chris if just to keep him safe.

Michelle B

Just speculation

The suggestion at this point is speculation, but if the Major's instincts have been alerted, then it would be prudent for him to act without knowledge of Jen or the others. Remember, Dr. Quinn suggested way back, that the security team may have problems.

If the Maj. compared what he was told, has heard and what Kris said about her involvement during their initial talk at the BBQ, it's possible that he might suspect something doesn't sit right and that Kris is somehow the focal point.

I suspect Kris is destined for something more cloak-and-dagger than just wandiering around the office, picking up intel and listening to talk around the water-cooler - as Dr. Quinn speculated. It also appears at this time, Kris is purposely being under-prepared.

Certainly, information she should be priviy to for her assignment, is being deliberately withheld.

The major gets that Chris uses the time running to work things out, and he can't be allowed to run alone due to the wild animal danger (both four and two-legged).

Kris and the soldier will be running on the base, probably on a track. The threats you mentioned were conveyed to Kris should she run on the neighbourhood streets. If she wished to run there, it was advised she run with the Major, in the early morning hours. The alternate suggestion was to run with this soldier on the base.

Unless the track is not available to dependants, why could Kris not run by herself while she's on the base as she is now?

PB

Fences and animals

It has been proven time and again that fences can not always keep wildlife out of an area. So running on base will still have that risk. And the track is just an assumption, I would expect they would be running the same places the soldiers do PT, which is usually on roads around the facility.

Also I wouldn't know about this base without checking, but more than a few military bases have wildlife refuges on them, which limits the type of barrier system installed. Don't want to hurt the critters, ya know?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Base Running

If they're using the roads on the base, I agree as not all areas that they would likely run in would be 'normally used' by dependants.

Still, I'm not discounting the possiblity of a counter-intelligence role for this soldier. After all, Kris seems to be allowed to and did, talk rather freely about her involvement (except for mentioning the sex-change) and I think if the Major had reason to suspect anything was amiss, he'd have more reason to believe Kris than he would his sister-in-law, given her job.

PB

No track...

TiffQ's picture

FYI... distance runners abhor tracks. They are BORING!

- Tiff Q

Tiff Q

Wow!

Ain't love grand? ;-)

I agree that Laurie and Kris have a wonderful opportunity to connect with each other as close friends over the summer. (I had used the same idea in a story of mine, so it is definitely not a new idea to me.)

As for the triple date... maybe it's not a good idea. Sure, they can do it so that Kris has the opportunity to date from the 'other side.' On the other hand, all Laurie and Kris have to do is to state that they are each in a relationship (leaving out the 'each other' part,) and that they don't want to cheat on their 'other halves.'

I hope that, now that Kris is officially a part of the team, that she and Laurie can freely compare notes. They may have to be careful about doing it away from the laptop and phone. It shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, since Kris can't be expected to carry the laptop with her wherever she goes. At some point, Kris and Laurie can leave their purses at the table (in a restaurant) and visit the girls' room. Most other places (home, office, school) should be suspected of being bugged.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see Kris give some people a piece of her mind.

Ray Drouillard

I think an acid test for Kris would be to ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

act extremely angry and just tell the group. "I quit. I can't trust any of you. I want out of here; change me back NOW!" and see what happens. Will they sadly agree as I belive they said they would, or will the velvet glove come off the iron fist?

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Velvet Glove?

They'd probably show the 'iron fist' pretty quickly.

Given than the Jeffers were told of 'Kris' back possibly even before Laurie started focusing on Chris, the Labs seemed pretty bent on selecting him, despite allegedly having other candidates - I don't think they're just going to let Chris/Kris just walk away - not now... if they ever were.

If they forced Kris' hand, his/her total non-co-operation could really put a wrench into their plans, then where would that leave them?

PB

Well Let me see

We had Kris about ready to talk to Laurie, and she did have a chance, but didn't take it. Now it appears that after Laurie's explanation, Kris is ready to remain being good friends, but not with full trust. I can understand that, beause I have been in some relationships like this, except without the unwillful change. So let's hope this ends the 360 degree turn arounds this atory has gone through since it started. I'm sorry, but even mysterious spy novels I have read don't have as many turn arounds as this story has had.

And I would like to settle something. It isn't that I can't see Chris' position as Kris not his situation, but if he is going to have to be a she, and she is going to have to be this she for a long time, maybe longer than it was originally decided, then yes, Kris should accept her femininity, because if she keeps this male thought, it could damage the mission.

Yes, I can see that a male trapped in a female body, is something that Chris is going through at the moment, but he did promise he could get with the program as a she. But he hasn't, he has only lamented his situation of how Laurie had duped him. Is Kris going to finally get with the program, or not?

Another question comes to mind too. Where are the bad guys? So far all I have seen is that Chris becomes Kris, transformed into a physical female, and told it is a matter of national security. Okay, so, where does this mission finally start ... if there is one?

Also, I have my doubts that transforming Chris into a physically anatomical female is only temporary. While I really don't like a lot of magical transformation stories, this one could be scientifically possible, even without mentioning anything about wizardry. That is what has kept me reading this story. But isn't it time to get on with it? I mean this reminds me of the book The Accidental Tourist, where a little more than half the book is setting up the characters. Here, the characters are already set up. So again, where are the bad guys, and when does the mission actually start?

Or is this a coming of age story through physical change of genders?

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

So far, though

They are still telling Chris this is a short term change (summer), and they are telling him that it is his male perspective hidden in the female body that they want, so he shouldn't accept his "femininity", that would be wrong. So far, he has had a female body for around 2 1/2 days. For somebody who didn't desire to be female, he has done amazingly well in adapting so far.

Is it temporary? Maybe, maybe not. It is certainly obvious that some readers want Chris to stay and become "Kris" - mind, body and soul. And it may turn out that he ends up having to. But I don't see it as being by his choice. Even in the last chapter, he made it plain that he can even deal with the sex change - as long as it's a temporary change. "Deal with", not embrace. Chris still sees this as a summer job, with a disguise that is to be shed in a couple of months and everything goes back to normal. So he doesn't have the desire, nor does he see the reason why he should embrace his femininity.

Yes the first chapters were painfully slow, and I expect coming up is going to be also. This triple date, for instance. There is nothing in this whole assignment that requires him to date anybody while in Alaska. So if it happens, and I expect our author is planning on that, there will be more of Chris, not Kris, with the attendant freak outs.

In short, as things have been presented to Chris, he has to "act" the girl, not "be" the girl. Expecting any more of him, especially less than three days into a role for which he wasn't prepared and given no choice on, is unrealistic.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Women can make Out Too!

"I think so," I reply, "but it'll take some time for me to trust you fully again. I like you a lot and I was hoping that you really liked me too. I've been having my doubts about that."

"Kris," she says with hope in her voice, "I do like you—a lot. I would prefer to have you as a male friend, but I like that we are going to be able to spend the summer together after all. It will be a unique summer. I'll just miss the making out!"

"Me too," I say sadly as we share a sisterly hug.

This is just so chauvinistic! Women CAN TO make out!
(maybe the characters don't think so though)

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

I think the operative thing

KristineRead's picture

I think the operative thing here is that Laurie is not interested in making out with Kris as a women. No doubt that two women can make out, but that does not mean that they want too.

Hugs,

Kristy

I agree

Both Laurie and Chris have made it clear they are heterosexual, and no interest has been shown in experimenting. Which does make it tough for Chris, being trapped in a female body, 'cause his mind is saying "NO!" in regards to doing anything with a guy. If he is forced to pretend to be interested in men, that would be Femdom/Humiliation, at the very least. Just how far is "Auntie Jen" willing to make him go; and can she then look herself in the mirror and honestly say Chris was given a free and informed choice?

Nah, I don't think so.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Just how far is "Auntie Jen"

Just how far is "Auntie Jen" willing to make him go; and can she then look herself in the mirror and honestly say Chris was given a free and informed choice?

All the way. The three women all seem more focused on their jobs and getting the 'mission' done, rather than Kris's needs or feelings. That includes everything from outright lies to keeping Kris on a tight lead 24/7.

So far, the only time Kris has had alone, was when she went to bed before anyone else. Even at night, Laurie was physically with her.

Maybe Jen saw to it that it was planned like that or the Jeffers sleeping arrangements required they share the bed. However, at the Mercers, will Kris have her own room or share a room/bed with Laurie, thus ensuring she's under constant watch?

Anyway, why be concerned about Kris on a date? That wasn't in the 'mission' profile.

I mean, according to Dr. Quinn's speculation about the mission (from the father/son talk enroute to Travis AFB) Kris is expected to gather intel at work and answer questionaires from security after hours ... not go out on dates. Besides, all these suspects Kris had been shown by Mrs. Harrison, are male employees involved in the research. I don't think any of them qualify as teenagers.

PB

A Question?

I had thought that Kris was smaller than Chris. If so then why the midnight clothes shopping spree; the clothes would not fit.

Other than that, I love the story.

Gwen

They Changed Chris Into Kris Before Shopping

jengrl's picture

The wizards came and changed Chris into Kris temporarily for the shopping trip. They changed him back when they got home and made him believe it was a dream. When he agreed to the mission they set the spell to keep him as a girl.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Chris was Kris when the

KristineRead's picture

Chris was Kris when the shopping spree happened. He had been temporarily transformed for the night, and when he woke up he was back to being himself.

Hugs,

Kristy

A Strange Friendship, But

Laurie seems sincere about her feelings, and just might fall in love with Kris.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So Kris runs off in tears

Daphne Xu's picture

So Kris runs off in tears (bleeping hormones), and everything goes wrong slap-stick style, including at first blush the four heavily-armed soldiers appearing. But they turn out to help him.

Afterwards, as he continues to walk through the woods and around the lake, he continues to rationalize away the wrongness of what was done to him, abuse-victim style.

After completing the circuit of his own musings, Kris and Laurie have a girl-to-girl, heart-bearing talk.

"Ouch! That hurts! I was suckered!"

They finally conclude that they can remain as girlfriends, of the friends-between-girls type.

EDIT: I just noticed the "theme" of "Autobiographical". Call me uncouth or ignorant, but last I heard, nothing was autobiographical about a summer-length complete transformation to a girl.

-- Daphne Xu

Kris is definitely going to have a better attitude

Wendy Jean's picture

What it means to be a woman. They can get through this and still stay boyfriend and girlfriend after it's all said and done it looks like they have found their life mate.