Krissy Is Willing 4 Danger, Escape, a Lady

Printer-friendly version


Krissy is Willing 4
Danger, Escape, a Lady



By Jessica C

It was months later that Lady Mariam decided to go to her cousin Anne in Manchester. It was to be a casual visit, without the usual fanfare. Nothing had been announced. They would use what appeared to be a normal coach and drive accompanied by two men riding as escorts on horseback. They were well over an hour into their trip as they made a turn on a wooded trail. Their coach was soon attacked by a band of road bandits appearing from nowhere. There were at least six of them that chased off the escorts and threw the driver to the ground. Most of Mariam’s jewelry and fine clothes were hidden away and safe for the moment. The robbers took what they easily found and took delight in harassing Lady Mariam; one thief, alias Robin, considered a loud to hold Mariam for ransom. Both of their daggers nestled in the breastplate were taken from their not-so-hidden hiding places. Robin had a hold of one of Mariam’s hands as he held a knife to her. It was then that Krissy used her hair needle pressing it slowly into Robin’s chest hoping to pierce his heart.

She had the foresight to know she needed to regain possession of the coach and drive it to safety.

She took a simple knife with a curved blade hidden under the cushion. She then put it to Robin’s neck. “You are found ill-prepared to deal with women. If you want to live you’ll be quiet except to permit me to replace the driver. Tell the others to be at ease. Your life is now in the hands of Lady Mariam; less she pushes this knife into your neck or the needle more in your chest puncturing your heart.”

Mariam quickly assumed her role of holding him quiet and captive.

Krissy stepped out of the coach and took two steps up to the driver’s seat. She was next to the robber who had pushed off the driver. She looked to the ground to see the bleeding body of the driver lying on the ground. She was stabbed as she took the reins, shook them to start the horses, and then pushed the thief off to the ground. With a harder shake of the reins, the horses were off at a fast gallop. They raced through an outcropping of several houses and a distance after to a crossroad that Krissy recognized with the help of her memory that she was nearing a crossroad that led to her uncle, Sir Warren. Warren’s mother and her father’s mother were twin sisters who had married the cousins. Thomas’ family had a long lineage of serving the church. Sir Warren’s family were workers who had become very gifted at their craft working with metals. They lived south and east of Sheffield. Krissy knew they would be safe there. Sir Warren’s family had built their estate connecting multiple farms as one.

Krissy turned at the crossroad and went a few kilometers before she stopped and checked with Lady Mariam.

Lady Mariam was pleased that they had escaped but stated it might have been safer to wait and be ransomed. Krissy responded, “Your Lady, that Randy up in the driver’s seat said they considered offering you to those who were interested in your being harmed.”

Hearing that she checked with Robin who was now badly off, possibly dying. It was a while more before Krissy had seen the house of Sir Warren’s estate to the south and east. She told Mariam a good portion of the land between them and the house, belonged to her Uncle and Lady Alice. Field workers let out yells and whistles that drew the attention of a horse rider, her Cousin William.

William soon realized the plight of Krissy and her riders and took over driving the coach to the estate, right up to the main house. Lady Alice had the servants along with a guard take the robber into their care and responsibility. Krissy near emotional and physical exhaustion, explained the would-be robber was of value.

A nurse who served the estate, seeing water come from where the hair needle was drawn, said, “You pierced the protective sack around the heart. He is not in immediate danger. You did well to scare him and take control of your situation. Lady Mariam is well but like you near exhaustion. You both need to stay here rest and be in Sir Warren’s safe shelter.”


=^-^=


Lady Alice came in to see them and asked Krissy to stand, “Well young woman I can see your new role in life suits you.” Having taken a good look at Kristina, she hugged her. “And I hear your mother has come out of her melancholy and ill health and is doing well. How do you like wearing finer clothing?”

It became apparent that both Lady Mariam and Kristina needed some nourishment as well as rest. They were served a broth with some vegetables and rolls, and simmering cups of tea. During their eating, they told of their horrific ordeal.

A rescue party of six was sent to where they were first attacked. It would be a while before they could get there and back.

Sir Warren and his son William were here. They had a quick meeting with the man taken into their custody, and their quick conclusion was that they were to abduct Lady Mariam. Sir Warren looked amused seeing his old nephew now as a young woman. “The spunk of the former nephew probably saved you and the compassion of a woman saved your would-be abductor.”

Mariam spoke up, “The courage and skill of Kristina was developed under my tutelage. We are both strong women.”

Lady Alice spoke up, “I guess you stand corrected husband of mine… Lady Mariam, if you wouldn’t mind, I have asked a second bed be taken into the guest room. It is my experience that both of you will feel more secure with the other in the room. However, if that is not suitable; I will change it.”

Mariam replied, “No, I agree with your thinking, and Kristina and I have become fairly close. I think we’ll be a comfort for one another.”

Krissy wondered because Mariam and her Aunt Lady Elizabeth were talking as though she wasn’t in the room nor had her own thoughts considered. She bit her tongue and would be quiet for now.

There came down from the stairway two young women; one could be near the age of Kristina, but the shorter one seemed to be years younger. Catherine and Constance had been upstairs and unaware of anyone’s arrival.

Constance seeing the clothes of the strange women were torn and dirty, asked, “Mama, why are you talking to them; what are their needs?”

Their mother turned and curtly said, “Can’t you see that they’ve been hurt and came here for refuge? This is Lady Mariam from Yoreshire and this is your Cousin Kristina. Kristina serves Lady Mariam.”

One could see thoughts turning in the heads of Catherine and Constance.

Krissy spoke up, “I am the older sister of Kari, Kate, and Kelly Thom as I am the one you never met.” How do you explain I was Christian, who became Kristina? Magic or miracles are for make-believe stories.

Catherine walked over to Krissy hugged her, and whispered, “You have a strange resemblance to my cousin Christian,” When she pulled back from Krissy they had acknowledging smiles.

Catherine was wearing a perfume with the subtle fragrance of a wild flower. Krissy breathed in the fragrance and realized Catherine was expecting the arrival of a young man.

Catherine asked, “Is Luke still welcome to come here and have dinner with us?”

Alice said, “Yes, it will be. First I’d like you to escort Lady Mariam and Kristina to the guest room so they can clean up and change clothes.”

Four men brought in the trunks of the two women, and followed Catherine upstairs to the larger guest room. Catherine was intrigued with the women and began talking with them. There were partitions that Mariam and Krissy used for changing out of their clothes. They each put on a dressing robe and found themselves telling their story to Catherine. They were like three women sharing stories.

Mariam was the one who changed the conversation and asked, “Catherine, who is this Luke who is coming to see you?”

Catherine stumbled over her words and finally said, “He is the young man I am in love with. I think he is coming over to ask my Father’s permission to marry me?”


=^-^=


That night when Kristina and Lady Mariam were alone, though exhausted, Krissy asked, “Do you seriously consider be a confidant?”

Mariam squeezed out a giggle, “Yes, most definitely. Mother and I closely watched you for months, to make sure you were trustworthy. Mother told me having a person like you would be good for me, and I find you very good. Today was another example. You are both my trusted servant and my dear friend.”

Krissy asked, “Why can’t I be a loyal and trusted subject and a friend?”

“I guess that could be arranged, but my mother pays my servants and half of your money has gone to your family. I will need to talk to my mother and father.”

“I have been compensated very well, how can that be only half of my compensation?” Krissy was bewildered, “Your mother gave me some money before we left, and told me to remember my family when in Manchester.”

Mariam said, “That was my Mama’s gift to you and encouragement to remember your mother and sisters. There may be things you do not regularly see in Yoreshire. They could also be more expensive.”

“I wonder if your uncle will help us to get to my cousins, the Duke and Duchess of Manchester. I know your uncle would be well rewarded for doing so. Plus, I am to be in Lady Anne’s wedding ceremony. Remember, she and I are to be looking a possible wedding gowns.”

Lady Mariam was still talking when she found Krissy to be asleep.


=^-^=


Mariam and Krissy were not very late in waking up, but the mansion and farm were already buzzing with work. William and his men were back from where we were held up. The coach driver and one guard were found dead on the ground. Another guard had been taken in by a family and may or may not survive his injuries.

Lord Warren asked, “Lady Alice tells me your relatives The Duke and Duchess of Manchester will be expecting you today; if they had not expected you as early as last night.”

William and I will take you there, beginning in three hours as long as our nurse thinks you are well enough. We will have our driver and six more men to go with us. We will travel our road west through Sheffield, and then another thirty kilometers west onto Manchester. I expect the Duke of Sheffield of whom I am a subject will send some men with us as well. I do not expect to be attacked, but if we are, my men and I will defeat them. I will not rest on protocol or due process. We not only make the best steel and swords; I have developed what I call a cross of a bow and our mechanism that shoots them like deadly darts. It begs to be tested in action.”

Krissy asked, Lady Mariam since you will be safe; do you want me to stay here and wait until you are ready to return?”

Lord Warren intervened, “There will be no staying behind the royals at Manchester will be wanting to meet you as well as to see Lady Mariam of Yoreshire. The Grand Duke will want to hear the full story. Lady Mariam and you will be feasted for your valor.

=^_^=


They set out and made it to Sheffield late in the morning. A Herald was sent out to tell Lord William the Grand Duke of Manchester that Lady Mariam of Yoreshire was safe and coming under the safety of Sir Warren of Sheffield. The Duke of Sheffield swore an oath that those responsible for attacking Lady Mariam would be hunted down and paid grievously for their deeds. The group stayed at Sheffield Castle and would leave with added guards the next morning

It was late afternoon when they arrived and Sir William the Grand Duke greeted us with great pomp and ceremony. Lady Mariam perked up with a great smile and a lot of energy to meet her Uncle. Lady Catherine and her Cousins Anne and Constance and Cousin William II were there as well. There was a salute of guns and the blowing of horns upon their exit from the carriage that carried them.

The feast that ensued seemed more for the men, but it was also a time for Lady Mariam to share the tale of their attack and subsequent escape. Mariam credited Kristina for their escape, and Kristina said Lady Mariam was a heroine as well.

Lord William’s doctor had checked Kristina’s wound, opening an infected area to drain and be bandaged. The Duchess checked on Kristina and commended her bravery and wit. Your Uncle told me you’re his niece and wondered if there might be any recognition of your bravery in saving our niece Lady Mariam.

Krissy tried to shrug off the idea, saying, “It was my duty to serve her and in saving her I saved myself.”

The following day Mariam went with Anne as Anne chose the material and design of her wedding dress. The second day Lady Mariam would select her gown of powder blue silk to be the Lady in Waiting at Anne’s side.

The day before they were to return to Yoreshire, at a formal meal called by the Duke and Duchess; the festivity began in the Throne room of the Grand Duke. He called forth Mariam and Kristina and asked Kristina to bow before the throne. I place on your head a humble laurel wreath and present you with the honor of the Golden Rose and Arrow. Rise, Lady Kristina of Yore, may your heroism be long remembered.”

The first thing Kristina heard was clapping coming from her side; it was Lady Mariam. “Rise Sister, your courage at last is recognized.”

To be continued…

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos