The Seamstress’ Model - 1 The Flowergirl

Printer-friendly version


The Seamstress’ Model - 1
The Flowergirl


By Jessica C


It wasn’t often, but occasionally my mother, Joanna Devries-Storm, a Seamstress used me as a model or better said a mannequin for a dress she was making. It was quite amusing since I was little that my mother used me to help make dresses, made alterations to clothes for others, and even prom and wedding gowns, and as she did times she needed my help. Several occasions became memorable for different reasons. Some resulted in my being recruited for endeavors that I did not volunteer for. I did however get into dreaming that I became woven into fantasies as other stories played out.

I was four when I first was enlisted to be a flower girl at a wedding. Mrs. Mahoney was my grandmother’s best friend. The first time was when I was a preschooler. I’ve since been recruited to be a prom date, a bridesmaid twice, and to be her double for a princess to fool media people to follow me instead of a princess.

Grandma was already angry with me thinking I was a spoiled child. What upset her most was that my mother had allowed her only grandson at the time to grow out his curly locks. It was the first time that as Lucas I became Laura.

My mother was the seamstress for the flower girl's dress of Mrs. Mahoney’s granddaughter, but the granddaughter broke out with poison ivy I got volunteered to be her replacement. It was a Saturday morning and I was in the middle of playing a game with two friends. My mother’s frustration with Grandma and her wanting to help Mrs. Mahoney and her granddaughter Christina became my problem.

Grandma had a picture of me in the dress, when she got a frantic call, from her friend. Within fifteen minutes, I had taken a shower and was changed into a little girl’s underwear and put in a dress. I spent five minutes dressed as a girl standing in front of our house waiting to be picked up.

It helped to influence me when a cute bridesmaid drove up in a shiny red car. Debbie wasn’t even upset that my hair had not been thoroughly dried. She said I was going to a salon, whatever that was. Mom was going with us, but I got to ride up in the front seat after I made a fuss. Debbie made me promise that it was the last time I made a fuss.

The promise was simple for me because I didn’t understand any of what the pretty girl would ask of me. When we got to the salon, all the people were pretty women about the age of my Aunt Karen who was one of the bridesmaids. Since I could remember girls made a fuss over me as being cute. My mom had me keep my hair longer than most boys, and it glistened. Christina, the bride, made such a big wonderful thing that I would help her. She was probably the most beautiful one there, though she was soon to be even more beautiful. She smelled as pretty as she looked.

I got to sit in a beautician’s chair as they washed and fussed with my hair again. Cathy was the young woman who washed my hair and who started combing and cutting it. They promised me that my hair would not be cut short like other boys and that I might even have more curls. Best of all my grandmother would not be upset. She even promised a surprise.

Cathy had these pins and curler things that I was allowed to hand her as she asked. Sometimes, she asked if it hurt when she curled my hair or rolled it up a little tight. But I let her know I was tough. Even pretending to be a girl, I didn’t cry if it hurt a little.

I got to sit next to my Aunt Karen when we were under the hairdryers. I was happy as she was proud of me for helping out. It became our secret with the other women that I was only acting like I was a girl.

I was surprised after Cathy took out the pins and curlers and brushed and combed my hair. I looked in the mirror and I looked like a pretty girl; I could have been a life-size doll. My long eyelashes were pretty. They used this little brush with mascara on it, and my lashes looked even longer and my eyes sparkled. I had to wear lipstick but that was part of pretending to be a girl.

I was still in the pretty dress that my mother had me wear when we went to the church early. Debbie took me to the back of the church where we would enter for the wedding ceremony. She showed me how to hold the basket of flower petals and how I was to spread the petals down the long aisle to the front. She showed me where I was to stand and wait until she and the others came to stand with me. I would get to stand in front of her to watch the wedding.

We went to a big room away from the people who would come to the wedding. We went where the bride and the rest of us girls could change. Well, the dresses were already there including this beautiful white gown for Christina. When she showed me the dress I was to wear, I remembered it from when my mother sewed it together. I was proud, but Karen was worried if it would fit, or that I would do some dumb boy thing in it. I already knew it fitted and that my mother had taught me how to behave in it. I was never to spoil one of her dresses.

That I had to undress and put on pantyhose was a little embarrassing. But it wasn’t as big of a deal as the women changing around me. I usually sat in a corner and looked the other way watching a small tv.

Somehow Karen knew when I became nervous that I needed to go to the bathroom. Karen and my mom helped me out of the dress and use one of the stalls in the women’s room. Mom even had a small stool I could use to wash and dry my hands. When I realized my lipstick and makeup needed help, my mother wasn’t angry with me. She was proud that I spoke up and said I would be more careful.

I was one of the first people to see Christina fully dressed and holding her flowers. Her veil was this short piece of cloth that looked like her train, but it went in front of her face for the first part of the wedding.

Well, when we went to the back of the sanctuary there was a boy about a year older than me. He was to hold this pillow thing that had rings on it, but they weren’t the real rings for the wedding. He was to walk in front of me, but when he saw all the people he got scared. I told Karen and this other woman that he could walk down next to me. He was still scared, but I knew he would be brave enough if I did it as a girl. And he did. The groomsmen were already down there and he knew where he was to go and stand.

I think I did a very good job of walking slowly and spreading the flower petals because a lot of people complimented me and took our picture. I was fairly sure I stopped and turned around at the correct place. But I needed to be patient and wait for Debbie to walk down and stand behind me.

I was happy that I was dressed as I was and stood with the women because I thought we looked a lot prettier than the men. I know people said they were handsome, but more pictures were taken of the bridal party, than of the goom's men. The Bridal party, as they called us, were happier and smiled more.

When the bride and the groom went further upfront and faced each other; I quietly walked in front of another bridesmaid where I saw the wedding better. I did stand up and stayed quiet and still, much better than the ring bearer who finally had to sit down, though he wasn't supposed to.

I didn’t understand a whole lot, and I thought it got a little long. Then the Bride and the Groom spoke to each other and Christina became even happier. They lit a candle and were ready to come down together. Somehow, I knew I was to go back and stand with Debbie.

The dumb boy wasn’t there when it came time for us to walk out. When I got to the back Christina and Nicolaus were standing in a line with their parents next to them. Christina bowed down to greet and thank me for helping. Oh, Laura, you did such a beautiful job in spreading out the flowers. I don’t know how to thank you. Your necklace was to be my gift to you, but maybe you won’t want it…”

I became excited, “You mean I could keep the necklace as your gift for being in the wedding (party)?” I said, “Please, please, let me keep it as your gift. I think that would be fantastic. And thank you for allowing me to be part of your wedding.”

They stood where all the people could greet them, and then a lot of pictures were taken. When I saw Grandmother, I was sure she was going to be angry with me and tell me everything I did wrong. Instead, she gave me a hug and a kiss saying I made the best Flowergirl she ever saw.

My mom and dad were proud of how well I did, and they talked about the compliments they were given. Mother took me to the side and said, “Lucas you have done me a big favor and I want you to know you don’t need to go to the reception as the Flowergirl. I have brought your clothes and you can change and we can go home.”

I asked her, “Mother, won’t Grandmother be upset with me?”

My mother giggled, “Don’t worry about Grandmother, even if she would be upset for a while she would get over it.”

I said, “But she’s happy with me and wants a lot of the people to compliment me on being the Flowergirl and to be there at the reception. I will try to be very careful and not spill on my dress.”

Mom tried to dissuade me, “You would be driving around with the wedding party and having more pictures taken for the next two hours before the reception. You don’t understand if you go to the reception you will probably be expected to dance. The meal and the reception could go on for four to five hours. You’d need to go to the toilet and have your makeup redone.”

I said, “But Mom, Grandmother has never been happy with me like she is now.” My hand touched the necklace and reminded me that Christina had given it to me. “Mom, Christina told me I could have this necklace as her gift to me. If I stop now, it will feel like I didn’t fully earn it.” Finally, I said, “If you’re not telling me I have to change. I want to continue as Laura; I know I can do it.”

=^_^=

I ran over to Debbie when I saw her, with my Mom encouraging me to be good and have fun. Debbie smiled, “You are a very good sport, thanks; I hope you don’t mind my saying you make a wonderful flower girl.” The Matron of Honor called to us to put a move on and get to the stretch limousine. The chauffeur settled everyone in filling the limo’s regular seating. “I have an extended seat to add for you.”

Christina spoke up, “But there is room on either side of us?”

The Maid of Honor said, “But do we put him next to the groom because he’s a boy, or Christina because she’s the Flowergirl?”

Christiana grinned, “Laura’s my Flowergirl, aren’t you?” I curtsied and stepped gingerly to sit next to her. Several of the bride’s party took pictures. We were soon on our way. We stopped at the photography studio for some special picture scenes. Then we went to a nearby park with a special flower garden of roses and other flowers in bloom. I enjoyed being there like all the others from the Bride’s side.

Then the bridal party was dropped off at the Bride’s parents for a chance to relax and refresh as well as have help in making bathroom breaks easier. I guess the groom and his party went to the backyard and each had a beer. I was with Debbie when I announced out loud to Debbie that I only needed to pee. It wasn’t a big thing, but the other women wanted me to sit and pee instead of possibly making a mess. So I asked. “Do girls have to sit if they just need to pee?” That caused all of the to laugh. I was never told the answer.

Before we got back into the limo, I asked Debbie if she had any smelly water as Christina has. Debbie used a small spray bottle and said she would refresh my lipstick when we got to the reception.

When we got to the reception, everyone else was already there and they were announcing everyone in the Wedding Party. They started with Debbie and the groomsman who was paired with her, and down the line, then there was the Maid of Honor and Groomsman Jack Southton. Laura DeVries the Flowergirl and Daniel Little the ringbearer were announced next. Well, Daniel was too scared and it was the first time I was announced as Laura DeVries. I looked at Grandma DeVries and since she was clapping and all smiles, I was happy. I went to the table where everyone at the wedding party was going. When I got there I heard Debbie say, “Do you hear how popular are? You should wave to the people. I turned waved, curtsied, and said out loud, Don’t forget Christiana and Nick, the Bride and Groom.”

The announcer then said, “Will everyone stand and welcome Mr. and Mrs. Nicolaus and Christina Wilson.” They came out half dancing around in circles and walking to the table of the wedding party. Christina put her bouquet in front of her place at the table.

She was beautiful but tired of her veil, and said to the MoH, “I love this veil, but what can I do with it? It’s so pretty but keeps getting in the way. I remembered a display that my mother had in her sewing area, and I spoke up. “I know what to do?”

The MoH told me to hush, but Christina smiled and said “You do, don’t you.” She unpinned her tiara and veil and gave them to me. “You go show them where it belongs.”

I took the tiara and veil as though they were the crown of a princess and walked around the table and back in front of where Christina was and set the veil and tiara on top of the bouquet and gently brought the train around the side and let it hang to the floor. Debbie had helped me and made sure it looked pretty. Debbie and Christina both thanked and complimented me.

Debbie reminded me, “You know when today all started, we were worried about you, not the ringbearer. He is five, almost six, and here you are four years old and pretending to be a girl.”

I said, “Thank you but Danny didn’t have you to show him what to do. You told me, that you would be there to help me. Plus I wanted Mother and Grandma to be proud of me.”

I didn’t remember much after that. I know I danced once with the Bride, and at least twice with Debbie. I had to dance with a couple of boys and quite a few girls. My father carried me to the car and I was asleep when he carried me into the house.

When I was finally ready for bed, I remember that I was awake and my mother saying, “Lucas, I am so proud of you.”

I guess I squeaked out, “Today, I was Laura DeVries, did I do good?” Mom gave me a big hug, and tears from her eyes dampened my cheeks. “Thanks, Mommy. Can you please find a safe place for my necklace?”

The Seamstress’ Helper to be continued…

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such a sweet beginning,

I'm looking forward to seeing what else Laura was doing. I would have loved being a flower girl.

Making others happy

Jamie Lee's picture

There is more with Lucas than just wanting to make others happy being the flowergirl, especially grandma. Maybe it was due to his being his mother's live dress mannequin and used to wear clothing being made for girls.

But is was more than that. He was eager to stay as the flowergirl until the event completed, where most boys would have happily changed the first chance they were given.

But grandma was happy, and that seemed the most important part for Lucas.

Others have feelings too.