The Suitcase - 8

Printer-friendly version

The Suitcase – 8

By

Pamela

([email protected])

Lisa couldn’t wait for Blake to come back from work. When the front door finally opened she ran up to him. “I got the job! I got the job!”

“Oh my goodness, what great news,” Blake said hugging Lisa. “When do you start?”

“Monday, can you believe it? Josephine was so crazy about my knowledge of dresses in the History Museum that she wants me to work at the store.”

“I’m so proud of you!”

“She wants me to create displays that show off the history of wedding dresses. That way girls that come in for their gowns can get a better idea of how they’re part of a tradition going back centuries. It’s so neat. I’m so happy that I can work with brides. I can help them pick dresses and help them try them on. They’ll want to know my thoughts. I’ll have to work with the bridesmaids that come to help the bride and channel their opinions. So many things I’m going to love. Just being able to go through the inventory and see and touch the gowns. Oh and the catalogues are filled with beautiful dresses. I’ll have to familiarize myself with them too.”

“It’s a dream job for you. And you’re going to need a wedding dress yourself!”

“I know. It’ll be so much fun to decide on one. I hope the girls from class will help me.”

***

Over dinner Lisa told Blake about what she had learned in the class that morning. “Bonnie spent a lot of time on accessorizing. I’m sure I’ve got a better idea now how to choose shoes, a purse, earrings, and scarves so that my outfit is well coordinated for any occasion. I’ve got a big job ahead of me in going through my clothes and thinking about what goes with what. That should be fun.”

“Don’t be shy about shopping to fill in some of the gaps in your outfits.”

“I won’t. I want to be a perfectly dressed woman at your side. Everyone should know that you’re married to a woman who wants to be pretty for you.”

“Come here!” Blake said, and he held Lisa and gave her a hug and a kiss.

“Supper will be ready in a short while.”

“Good, I’m famished. John is coming over tonight. I’m excited. My first time lifting weights under his guidance.”

“I can only imagine the hard work you have to put into lifting weights and building up your muscles. Lucky for me I get to enjoy the end result without having to go through the pain.”

“I should make faster progress now. John really knows how to pack on the muscles.”

“I’d love to see you two in action.”

“Come downstairs a half hour after we start. Bring some cold water for us. I’ll be warmed up by then. That’ll give you a chance to watch a little bit and I don’t think John will mind. He’s proud of his work.”

“I can’t thank you enough. I’ll definitely bring you some ice water and something to nibble on.”

***

John Sampson arrived just before eight. Lisa let him in. John was wearing a tight sleeveless shirt bulging out with his muscles. His biceps were immense and Lisa was unable to take her eyes off of them.

“I’ll tell Blake you’re here.”

Lisa found Blake and he and John went downstairs to the basement. Blake wore tight, black, spandex boy shorts and a tee shirt. The front bulge of the shorts was noticeable if not overwhelming. While Lisa cleaned up the kitchen she reflected on the image of John’s muscles. It will be exciting if Blake’s muscles develop even to half the size of John’s. If anyone could get Blake to have that physique it would be John.

Often when Blake and Lisa were in bed holding each other, Lisa sought out Blake’s developing biceps and calves to fondle. She loved the indentations made by the rippling muscles underneath his skin. The thought that they could get even bigger caused her heart to race. She loved how proud Blake was of his growing strength.

A half hour after John arrived, Lisa prepared a tray containing a pitcher of ice water and two glasses. She cut a lemon and put slices in the pitcher and took the tray down to the basement. Blake was lying on his back holding a bar with large weights on either end. His face was red and he was puffing as he pushed the bar up into the air. John stood over him ready to intervene if he were to get into trouble.

“Great, Blake. Two more reps. You can do it,” John said.

Lisa felt intense excitement in her loins at the sight of Blake’s arm muscles straining so hard. She quietly stood in a corner of the room watching. Blake lowered the bar back to his chest and then raised it back up again straining and letting out a shriek.

“Great. One more. Go for it,” John said.

As Blake lowered the bar it wobbled a bit until he yelled again and pushed the bar back up. John took it from Blake and put it down on the ground. “That was a good sequence Blake. I like your grit and determination. That’s all necessary to be a bodybuilder.”

“Thanks, John.”

Blake got up and sat on the bench. “Oh my God, Blake. That was so incredible,” Lisa said. She went over to look at the weights on the bar. “That’s over a hundred pounds! I can’t imagine how you can lift so much!”

“He’s got 120 there,” John said.

“In a few months I’ll be pressing 200 pounds,” Blake said.

“That’s ambitious, Blake, in the elite range, but you might get close to that,” John said. “We’re going to go slowly so you don’t injure yourself.”

Lisa served a glass of water to each of the men. “I don’t want Blake injuring himself!”

“I’ll do my best.”

“What are you going to work on next,” Lisa asked.

“Calves,” Blake said.

“I love his calves!” Lisa said.

“He’s going to do half squat jumps, seated calf raises with the machine, standing calf raises and bodyweight calf raises,” John said. “You should join us.”

Lisa laughed. “No. Blake’s got the muscles in our family. I love how hard Blake’s calves are. My calves are another story!”

“Yes. Keeping them pretty is your job,” Blake said.

“You two are a trip,” John said. “Times a wasting. Let’s get into it.”

Lisa went back upstairs leaving Blake to groan and grunt under the tutelage of John.

***

After Blake took a shower, he sat on the edge of the bed. Lisa sat next to him and said. “I couldn’t say it in front of John, but oh my God watching you lift those heavy weights got me so excited.”

“I have to admit I love showing off for you.”

“Let me see if I can feel a difference after today’s workout.” Lisa coyly ran her hands over Blake’s arm muscles and then his chest.

“What do you feel?” Blake asked.

“You’re harder and stronger. There’s no doubt. Your biceps have gotten so big!”

“You’re sweet. Lie down and take your panties off.”

“Oh my goodness, you’re a beast!” Lisa said.

“I’m waiting!”

Lisa took off her panties and lay on the bed. Blake straddled her and they made love.

***

“I’ve got the job! At Josephine’s!” Lisa told Bonnie the next morning before class started.

“The bridal shop?”

“Yes. I get to help brides pick out their dresses and anything else Josephine wants me to do!”

“Congratulations! That’s great news.”

“I have Debbie to thank. She knew of the job opening.”

“I can’t think of anyone more qualified to help women with their dresses,” Bonnie said. “Your enthusiasm for women’s fashion is contagious.”

Lisa laughed. “Thank you Bonnie. I love pretty clothes.”

“I know. You have to shop for a wedding gown for yourself don’t you?”

“Yes! That’s something I’ll do at the shop. I’m so excited about that.”

Debbie joined the conversation. “Lisa gave us a fantastic tour of the dresses at the Chicago History Museum. She knows so much about the history of dresses!”

“Up to the 1960’s. Current women’s dresses are not my forte.”

“Don’t be modest Lisa,” Debbie said. “You have a great eye for women’s fashion. You’ll be a great asset for Josephine’s.”

“Speaking of dresses,” Bonnie said. “Contemporary fashion is exactly how we’ll start our class today.”

Bonnie called the class to order. “Since this is our last class, I’d like to devote part of it to current women’s fashion and how we decide what we want to wear. For example, whenever you walk through the streets, ride a bus, go into a store, you see women wearing clothing. Did you ever wonder how it was they decided to wear what they’re wearing?”

“I’ve thought that,” Stephanie said. “I think how they went into some store somewhere, looked around, tried on clothing and then decided to buy something that I’d never be caught dead wearing.”

The women laughed. “You’ve hit the nail on the head, Stephanie,” Bonnie said. “Every woman has likes and dislikes that inform the clothing she wears. What we can do today is talk about connecting the way a woman wants to look to what will best achieve that look in the clothing she wears.”

While Bonnie talked about contemporary clothing styles it became increasingly clear to Lisa that her own preferences were old-fashioned. That explained why she enjoyed being a docent – familiarity with historical dress styles fit her own inner desires. She definitely wanted to be pretty and sexy for Blake, so that she was willing to wear whatever it took to achieve that. Other than that she knew she preferred dresses and skirts to slacks. She liked outfits that made her feel demure. Quiet and prim. She liked the idea of being fragile and delicate. Definitely a throwback to an earlier era.

“What are the kinds of looks we want to obtain from our clothing?” Bonnie asked. “Each of you tell me something.”

“Sexy,” Laurie said.

“Slim,” Stephanie said.

“Neat,” Diane said.

“Sophisticated,” Debbie said. “And rich!”

All eyes were on Lisa. “Demure? Is that a possibility?”

“Yes, of course,” Bonnie said. “Some girls prefer to be demure and there’s nothing wrong in that.”

“What exactly is demure?” Diane asked.

“Feminine, right?” Laurie asked. “That’s what you mean?”

“Innocent, chaste, fragile, delicate, doll-like,” Stephanie said.

“Quiet and prim, in a pretty way,” Debbie said.

“Lisa wants to wear pretty dresses,” Laurie said. “She told us that yesterday at the museum.”

“Yes. Lisa wants to wear pretty dresses and be quiet and prim!” Debbie said.

“Aspects of femininity,” Bonnie said.

“Yes, all of those,” Lisa said, “that’s what I’m thinking.”

“Demure and pretty,” Bonnie said. “Very good, Lisa. I think we have the picture.”

Lisa would like to have said that she wanted to be the kind of woman that would never be mistaken for a man. But that would involve magic. It was not something that Bonnie could readily fix with fashion.

“We’ve just seen that five different girls means five different ideas about their clothing,” Bonnie said. “What we wear is personal and reflects an unfathomable process of decision making. What I can do, however, is talk about selecting clothes that match the different goals you’ve articulated.”

In the ensuing discussion Bonnie first considered clothing that made a woman feel sexy. Then she talked about slimming clothing, and then dresses and skirts that gave a neat appearance. She had a lot to say about sophisticated clothes including ideas of what made an outfit look expensive. Finally, she talked about what a demure woman would wear. It was a tour de force of fashion insight that stirred the women and aroused their hunger for shopping.

After a coffee break Bonnie said, “The last topic in the course is traditionally sex. Specifically sex from the point of view of girls and women. What issues do we have? Can we find solutions to them? To start things off, let’s talk about a woman’s orgasm. That’s always among the questions that are brought up in class.”

“What about orgasms?” Diane said.

“Raise your hand if you’ve had an orgasm,”

Everyone except Laurie raised their hands.

“You haven’t?” Bonnie said to Laurie.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had one.”

“It’s the kind of thing that you’d know it if you’d had it,” Bonnie said.

“Well I guess I haven’t,” Laurie said. “But I’m not a virgin.”

“That ties into one of my main points. Let me check, are any of you virgins?”

None of the woman said they were. “Good,” Bonnie said. “This leads to my next question. Raise your hand if you’ve gotten an orgasm during sex with your boyfriend.”

Besides Lisa, the only person to raise her hand was Diane.

Bonnie laughed. “Lisa, you’re a special case. Diane, tell us about that.”

“It’s simple. I had a dreamy boyfriend who got me revved up just looking at him. His foreplay was heavenly and once he had his dick in me, he was a master of using that thing. I’d get multiple orgasms each time we made love.”

“You no longer see him?” Laurie asked.

“No. Guys like that move on quickly.”

“Can I get his phone number?” Laurie joked and everyone laughed.

“I’ve fantasized about having a guy who knew how to get me off,” Debbie said.

“Me too,” Stephanie said.

“You see how frustrated women are with men who don’t go the extra mile to get them to orgasm?” Bonnie said.

“Yeah. As soon as the guy cums it’s like good night, turn out the lights. See you tomorrow!” Stephanie said.

Lisa wondered what Blake would say. Did he get orgasms? She herself certainly did. When she got home she’d have to get him to give her a truthful answer.

“It’s clear I’ve struck a nerve here,” Bonnie said. “So what do we think we can do to make sure we always get orgasms?”

The women stared blankly at Bonnie. “Nobody has a suggestion?” Bonnie said. After a pause she said, “Then let me tell you. If you can orgasm while masturbating, then your boyfriend can learn to imitate everything you do. If he has any brain cells at all, he’ll learn how to give you an orgasm. It’s up to you to demand that he do it. Boys can be lazy and inconsiderate. Many of them are happy to cum and ignore you. Don’t let them. Tell them they have to choose between your orgasm or looking for a new girlfriend!”

“That sounds so easy but I’ve never been able to talk that way to my boyfriends,” Debbie said.

“There’s no time like the present to learn how to do that. As long as you give them guaranteed orgasms they don’t have an incentive to take care of you. That is unless they’re the rare boy, like Diane described to us, who is considerate and skillful.”

“But what about me?” Laurie said.

“I was going to get to you. Your job is to learn how to masturbate. Once you figure that out, you can then instruct your boyfriends.”

“But how will I learn to do it?”

“Start on the internet. There are articles describing techniques. Use your fingers to play with your labia and clitoris. Form a vee with your fingers, place them on either side of the labia, and wiggle them together while lifting up. Then use the tip of your finger to press on the clitoris.”

“Wow,” Laurie exclaimed.

“It’s science, Laurie,” Bonnie said. “It shouldn’t require magic!”

“I can’t wait to go home and try it.”

“When we get together for our sleep over,” Stephanie said, “discussing our masturbation techniques would be a lot of fun.”

“By then maybe I would have figured out how to do it,” Laurie said.

“If you haven’t by then, I’ll be happy to show you how I do it,” Debbie said.

Lisa thought that the sleepover was definitely not going to be the time for her to show her technique.

“One other thing,” Debbie said, “is that when I masturbate just before my period starts I get a really great orgasm. I have to work harder and longer but boy does it pay off.”

“That’s a great tip,” Bonnie said. “I didn’t even know that myself. My period’s coming in a week and I’ll try that out. Anyone else?”

“I love watching porn when I beat off,” Stephanie said. “I’ve often thought that if I could watch porn while my boy friend is screwing me, then I might actually orgasm.”

“Why haven’t you tried it?”

“I’ve been shy admitting to boys that I want to watch porn. I thought it’ll make them feel inadequate besides regarding me as a slut.”

“That’s such a double standard,” Bonnie said. “Lots of guys watch porn. Besides, the word slut is so overused as to be meaningless.”

“I thought it means someone who likes sex too much,” Laurie said.

“If that were the case then all boys are sluts,” Debbie said and everyone except Lisa laughed.

Bonnie noticed Lisa holding back and said, “I’m sorry Lisa. I know that a lot of this discussion is hard to correlate with your biology.”

“It’s okay,” Lisa said. “I think it’s important information that I should know about. I might not have a vagina – at least not yet anyway – but I want to be empathetic about these things so it’s good to hear about them.”

“That’s a great attitude,” Bonnie said. “The silver lining is that you’ll always appreciate the female aspects of people more than the rest of us do.”

“Case in point is dresses,” Debbie said. “I like them to some extent, but I’m also quite happy to wear jeans. If I get married I’ll more than likely get a wedding gown, but it’ll just be a dress to me. Not exactly magical like it is for Lisa.”

“Oh, my gosh, Debbie,” Lisa said. “When you come to the shop to get a gown, I’ll get you excited one way or another!”

The women laughed. The discussion of sex continued until the final minute of Bonnie’s course. The arrival of the noon hour caste a pall over everyone. It was sad to end what had been such a supportive and empowering study of the many facets of womanhood. Perhaps more so for Lisa than the others, she had grown immeasurably in learning how to comport herself as a female. She felt that on many fronts she had broken through her own preconceptions and stereotypes of how she was supposed to be as a woman to now knowing how to really be Lisa, Blake’s future wife.

It was also great that Lisa now had four new girlfriends that she could socialize with. There would soon be their overnight party at Laurie’s house when they got to wear the identical chemises. Lisa would, of course, be seeing Bonnie regularly to have her hair and nails done. Lisa expected to see a lot of Debbie and Laurie at the wedding shop. The three of them were very much on the same wavelength and would probably try to hang out together fairly often.

The five women had their final lunch at the cafe. When that was over, Lisa was free to begin worrying about the next day, when she and Blake traveled to meet his family.

***

After an hour drive, Blake pulled the car up into the driveway of a former two-story farmhouse. Now it was on land subdivided into acre lots with houses of many different kinds. Lisa shook like a leaf. Her hand trembled as she opened the car door. Blake came around quickly to join her. “I know this is hard on you. You’re being set up for a slap in the face. For all I know we might be heading back home a short time from now.”

“It’s got to be worse for you,” Lisa said. “They don’t know me enough for it to be personal if their reaction is to humiliate us.”

“Right. But we have God on our side,” Blake said, laughing. “He made us after all.”

“That’s the argument we have to use with my parents,” Lisa said. “Of course they don’t believe that I have the right to tell anyone what God thinks. Only people like them do!”

“Let’s ring the doorbell and enter our personal little hell,” Blake said.

He rang the bell and immediately the door opened. “Hey Felix,” Blake said. He and his brother hugged. “Whoa,” Felix said, “have you been working out? Holy cow.”

“Just a little,” Blake said.

“You’re all muscle now.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you!” Blake turned to Lisa and said, “Lisa, my brother Felix. Felix, my fiancé Lisa.”

Felix was all smiles. He started out to shake hands but then embraced Lisa. “My future sister-in-law. How nice to meet you. I’ve been looking forward to this moment ever since Jill, sorry … Blake told me about you.”

“I’ve been excited to meet you and your family,” Lisa said, shyly.

“She’s very pretty, Blake,” Felix said.

“Isn’t she? Such a cute darling. She’s so affectionate.” Blake put his arm across Lisa’s shoulder and squeezed her.

“Where are mom and dad?” Blake asked.

“The kitchen. They’re preparing leg of lamb and roast potatoes in your honor.”

“That’s so nice of them,” Lisa said.

Felix laughed. “Sorry. A minute from now when the fireworks start you might not be thinking of them as nice. Though let’s be optimistic, right?”

“Sure. You ready?” Blake said to Lisa.

Lisa nodded her head. She put her arm across Blake’s back and clung to him. She was terrified.

They entered the kitchen. Blake’s mom, Renata, was sticking garlic cloves into the lamb while Blake’s dad, Ernie, was peeling potatoes. Felix trailed behind Blake and Lisa. Blake’s parents stopped what they were doing and looked up at the visitors. Blake said boldly, “Hi mom and dad.” He approached his mom as if to hug her and she put up her hands to protect herself.

“Mom and dad? Who are you?” Renata said.

“Mom. It’s me, formerly your daughter Jill. I’ve taken the name Blake and become a man.”

Ernie looked like he was about to keel over. He had recognized Blake as soon as he walked into the room. “I’m woozy,” he said.

Blake rushed to help him before he fell. Ernie managed to grab onto the kitchen counter and steady himself. “Jill’s now Blake? My girl’s a boy?” Ernie said.

“Oh, God,” Renata said. “We’re in a nightmare.”

“Mom! Please!” Blake said. “I’m the same child you’ve always known except that I’ve gone from daughter to son.”

“Do you take me for an idiot? You’re not the same child …”

“I would have been if you and dad had recognized the boy in me. He was always there. Just never got a chance to come out because everybody around here insisted I was a pretty girl. Fancy dresses, cheerleader, all that girl stuff while inside I knew I was a boy but had no chance to unleash him. That is until …”

“We didn’t thrust Barry on you,” Renata interrupted.

“Except for the fact that you told me a million times how he was the perfect guy for me and a woman could never do better. But Mr. Perfect Guy was cheating on me while we were engaged.”

“So Barry has some character flaws. Why become a boy in revenge?”

“Mom, you understand so little. I didn’t change my sexual identity because of Barry.”

“Say something, Ernie,” Renata said.

“Who’s your pretty friend here?”

“I’m sorry, this is Lisa. Lisa and I are engaged to be married.”

Renata looked like she might explode. “You’ve gotten engaged again? To a girl? You’re like a boy lesbian?”

Felix burst into laughter. “Oh my God this is too much.”

“Ernie, call the police,” Renata said.

“Police? What are they going to do?” Ernie said.

“This must be illegal. There are laws against this.”

“You mean it’s illegal to be in love?” Ernie said.

“It’s illegal to be yourself?” Blake said.

“I gotta sit down,” Renata said. Everyone followed her to the living room where she collapsed onto the sofa. “My little girl is gone!” It was hard to figure out if she was crying or not. Her voice turned colder and she said, “So Ernie’s got two sons now. I guess he’s the winner.”

Ernie laughed and then stopped abruptly. “Renata, you’re distraught and saying strange things. Step back and listen to Blake. He’s an adult and he’s doing what he’s doing to find some happiness in this world. So let him, okay?”

“Ernie!” Renata wailed.

“I can’t thank you enough, Dad.” Blake said getting teary eyed. He and his dad hugged.

“You might have lost a daughter,” Ernie said to Renata, “but look at the pretty daughter-in-law joining the family.”

“It’s such a shock,” Renata said.

Blake sat down next to his mom and held her. At first she struggled but then she quieted down. Blake whispered in her ear that he loved her and he needed her to accept him. It was the only way he’d truly be happy. Renata burst into a full crying fit. But when it was done she embraced Blake and the two of them held each other crying.

Lisa couldn’t stop herself from crying. It was such a touching scene.

While the tearful encounter played out in front of him, Ernie whispered to Felix, “Is Lisa what I think she is?”

Felix smiled and nodded his head.

“Oh boy,” Ernie said.

When she had regained her composure Renata said, “You’re like lesbians as far as the you know the … biology?”

“Renata, dear,” Ernie said.

“This is important Ernie,” Renata said. “I never suspected Jill was a lesbian. I thought she preferred men.”

“Mom,” Blake said. “I don’t want to mislead you. Lisa is, for the moment anyway, biologically a boy.”

“Oh heaven on earth!” Renata exclaimed. “You’re trying to kill me!”

“You’re not on the stage Renata,” Ernie said. “Don’t be so histrionic.”

“But he/she’s so pretty. So feminine. How could she be a boy?”

“Mom. She was a boy just like I was a girl. We met in Toronto when Barry was cheating on me. It’s a long story involving our suitcases getting swapped but we discovered that we were both unhappy in our birth genders so we made a pact to switch while falling in love with each other. I’ve never been so happy in my life as I am now. I owe it all to this marvelous girl Lisa. She’s pretty. She’s affectionate. She’s everything that I want and need in a wife so I can’t wait to marry her.”

Renata put her head in her hands and sat silently. “Your mother’s coming round,” Ernie said. “I can imagine how scared the two of you must have been to come out like this with your parents. That’s real courage. I think that as we get fully used to the new situation we’ll get quite comfortable with each other. Isn’t that true Renata?”

“Yeah, yeah, if you say so. But what about grandchildren?”

“What about them?” Blake said.

“You know I was counting on you and Barry having a family.”

“Why do you think that Lisa and I won’t have a family?”

“How can you have children?”

Blake laughed. “I still have the right plumbing and so does Lisa. Our plan is to have a couple of babies. I’ll pop them out and Lisa will be their mommy. After that, there’s a good chance that we’ll both realign our bodies with our minds. But that’s years away right now.”

Lisa turned to Renata and said, “I really want to get to know you as my mother-in-law. You’ll be of so much help in teaching me how to be a mother and a good wife.”

Renata stared at Lisa with her head wobbling as if it weighed a hundred pounds. Finally, she waved for Lisa to come over to her. In her most lady like walk Lisa gracefully came over and sat down next to Renata while smoothing her skirts. “I guess you and I are now the girls,” Renata said, “so it’s important for us to stick together. Men can be so difficult!” She stared at Blake as an example of what she meant. Renata and Lisa hugged each other.

“Look at that,” Renata said. “You’re wearing my mom’s engagement ring.”

“I was wearing it when engaged to Barry,” Blake said.

“I know, I know. I suppose it’s getting good use now.”

“Mom, I love you,” Blake said.

After a long moment Lisa said, “What can I do to help you in the kitchen? I’ve been learning more and more about cooking. I want to always be able to make a nice dinner for Blake.”

For the first time Renata smiled. “I can see you’re a girl after my own heart.”

***

At Lisa’s first day at the bridal shop Josephine showed her the inventory of gowns displayed in the front and in a backroom.

“In this section are the ball gowns with fitted bodice and full skirts,” Josephine said. “They’re a good choice for all except petites with small frames. They make brides look like princesses so they’re popular.”

Lisa looked through the racks with eyes wide open. “So many of these are pretty. Gosh how does anyone ever decide which one to wear?”

Josephine laughed. “Sometimes the brides go through fifty dresses. You might find yourself wanting to strangle them. Most of the time we can help them narrow their choice down to three or four dresses that are most flattering to them and fit with their expectations. Some of my shopgirls develop a sixth sense on how to get the right dress to the right girl. I think you have that capability.”

“I sure hope I do.”

“Knowing the inventory inside and out besides what’s in the magazines will make your job easier.”

“I plan to spend as much time as I can learning about each dress.”

“Very good. Over here are the A-Line dresses. They’re a bit more flowy than the ball gowns and also fit most body types. Next to them in the corner are Trumpet/Fit-and-Flare dresses. They’re fitted through the body down to the mid-thigh where they flair outwards. These are strictly for brides with a small waist. Hourglass figures and petites. The last two sections have mermaid styles and sheath or column dresses. The mermaids are sleek and sexy. Fitted from the chest to the knee and then flared out. Girls with nice curves look good in these. The sheath dresses flow straight down from the neckline to hem. Lean women or athletic women can wear these. That’s basically it except for some unusual styles.”

The sea of white dresses made Lisa feel like she was in a snowy landscape. “I’m going to learn the entire inventory; I promise you that. And I’ll study the catalogs.”

“I love your energy, Lisa. I think you’re going to be great for the shop. Let’s take a look at the wedding lingerie.”

Josephine escorted Lisa to a corner of the shop that displayed the marvelous underpinnings that helped create the perfect bride. “These tend toward the lacy. I suppose it’s traditional to think of women as delicate female fruits being plucked from the tree on their wedding day by their men. So we wrap them up in girly underwear and a pretty dress.”

“I’m afraid to say that’s me. I want to be as pretty as I can be for my fiancé. Definitely the prettiest ball gown I can find will be right for me. Underneath I’ll be very happy to wear girly underwear. Bra and girdle or maybe a lacy body suit.”

Josephine laughed. “You have such amazing feminine energy. That’s what the shop needs. A girl who’s happy to be a girl. I’ve gotten a bit old and crusty being around so many brides for so many years. I can tell you horror stories. But you’ll eventually have your own.”

“Since I’m soon to be a bride myself, I guess that really makes me sympathetic to what brides will be going through when they come here.”

“I’m sure that has something to do with it. So now I’ll go up front and take care of customers. If I need help I’ll fetch you. Look through the gowns and underwear and become familiar with them.”

For the next few hours Lisa made love to the wedding dresses. One by one she took them off the rack, read the information about price, size, manufacturer and style and then held them up to herself gazing into a mirror. She was killing two birds with one stone. Not only was she becoming familiar with the shop dresses she was also narrowing down the dresses she would want to try on for her wedding.

After lunch a group of girls entered the shop. A bride, Denise, and her bridesmaids introduced themselves. Josephine asked Lisa to help her. It would be an opportunity for Lisa to watch and learn so that in time she’d be able to help customers on her own. Denise was excited. She ricocheted through the shop looking at dresses with her entourage.

Josephine took Lisa aside and explained to her how she would choose dresses that made Denise look good. “She’s tall with a nice figure. What is a distinctive feature of her?”

Lisa stared at the woman for a minute and said, “Her large breasts?”

“Yes exactly. That means she’ll want a dress with a V-neck, scoop, or sweetheart neckline.”

“I see.”

“Whenever a top-heavy woman tries on a dress of any kind, you have to have her lean forward. Look to see how much of her bust becomes visible. Since a bride often has to greet people sitting down while she leans over, you don’t want her giving a nice free peek at her breasts and bra to old Uncle Pete.”

“That’s so funny,” Lisa said. “But it certainly makes sense.”

“Denise shouldn’t have a halter top or a high neckline since they’ll make her look bigger and out of proportion. Strapless is okay with the sweetheart neckline. In other words, the neckline shouldn’t go straight across. If she goes strapless she needs to get a wedding bra with the right boning. Unless she wants everyone fixated on her breasts she needs to avoid bodices with extra volume or sheen. No ruching, details, beadings. Leave them to the waistline or skirt so the eye is drawn away from her breasts. A plain satin fabric is good to get an airy effect. A tulle overlay can be chosen with it.”

“I can’t believe how fascinating this is,” Lisa said.

“There are lots of insider tips that are important for you to learn. It’ll take a while but eventually you’ll get the hang of it.”

The bride came back to Josephine to get her opinion on three dresses she wanted to try on. Lisa listened to Josephine’s commentary on which would be a good choice and which wouldn’t be. For the latter Josephine suggested alternative dresses. With her choices in hand, we moved to a large ornate dressing area with mirrors, sofas, and stuffed armchairs.

The bridesmaids took seats while Josephine had the bride take off her blouse and skirt. Lisa took the blouse from Denise and waited while she stepped out of her skirt and handed it to her. She hung them both up neatly on a hangar. As Denise stood in her bra and panties Josephine walked around her deep in thought. “Yes, I’m confident that the dresses we’ve selected are going to look fabulous on you. To try them we need to get you the proper underwear. Your bra is a 36 DD?”

“No, it’s 36DDD.”

“Lisa, fetch us a longline strapless bra from where I showed you before. 36DDD.”

Lisa went and found the bra, brought it back, and handed it to Denise who took off her bra. Lisa felt a sharp pang of jealousy at the size and beauty of Denise’s bosoms. There was no doubt that one day she’d get breasts like these. As happy as she was in her life, the joy she’d have from having breasts, even if artificial, would be immeasurable. Wouldn’t it be nice if she could have them when she married Blake? When she and Blake had babies, it would certainly be a good idea for her to have breasts. Even if they didn’t have milk they would offer comfort and a feminine contour that could only be good for them.

Denise arranged the strapless bra over her breasts and reached behind herself as if to hook it in place. Josephine intervened, “Let me help you. There are seven hook and eyes to attach. It’s a little tricky.” When the bra was on, Josephine added, “I also recommend you wear a high waist thigh shaper. Even though you have a very nice figure, the shaper will help create a perfectly smooth line under your gown.”

“Should I wear that today?”

“You can if you’d like to. Sure why not? Lisa fetch a medium Honeylove – the high waist shaper.”

Lisa left and came back with the shaper. Denise put it on over her panty. She did have a nice figure. Comparing it to her own Lisa thought that while her own was not in the same league as Denises, it was at least respectable. It depended on her wearing breast forms in her bra and the padded panties that Andre introduced to her. In the future, with breast and buttock enhancement surgery she could further perfect her figure.

For the next hour Denise tried on each of the gowns. Her bridesmaids oohed and aahed over each one and Josephine gave critiques of what she was seeing. She had suggestions for alterations and based on what she saw she recommended other gowns that Denise should consider. Lisa enjoyed every moment of the experience. She concentrated on watching and listening to Denise so that when the time came to choose a gown for herself she’d have a better idea what a bride should focus on.

Lisa made many trips to the back rooms finding gowns in Denise’s size and putting others away. Far from the work being tiring or dull she was sure that immersing herself in a sea of white and ivory bridal gowns was like being in a beautiful, all-girls heaven. The one downside was that it made her anxious to get married herself. The sooner that happened the sooner she’d get to experience what Denise was experiencing. She and Blake had initially planned on a long engagement. She hoped that Blake would be willing to move that up. She’d have to broach the subject with him.

After two hours Denise decided on a dress. It needed a few minor alterations and would be ready in a week. After the wedding party left the store, Josephine said to Lisa, “Denise and a couple of the bridesmaids told me to tell you how much they appreciated your hard work. They fed off your obvious delight in showing off the dresses. They even …” Josephine stopped to think. “I was going to say that at first Denise and her friends were a bit surprised that a girl with your background would be assisting them. Then they realized that your enthusiasm made the experience totally enjoyable.”

“I don’t ever want to be a problem for you,” Lisa said.

“You’re taking this wrong. That’s why I hesitated to tell you. I think the advantages of your love for pretty dresses outweighs the odd customer who can’t deal with the modern world we live in.”

“That is so unbelievably kind of you, Josephine.”

“I have high hopes for you becoming a master saleswoman. Also we’ll have to begin thinking about the historical displays that I’d love to install here.”

***

That night at dinner, Lisa related to Blake all that had happened on her first day at Josephine’s. “I can’t tell you how delighted I am,” Blake said. “A whole new career with something you love.”

“I know. I have to pinch myself. You can’t imagine how many beautiful dresses we have in the store. I’ve gotten to know a bunch of them already. They each have a personality. I like imagining the women who’ll one day fit into each gown and decide that it’s their favorite. The gown will walk down the aisle and the groom and a room full of guests will admire it up at the front. It’s so much the focal point of everything at a wedding. Weddings are about girls having their fantasy fulfilled.”

“Some girls,” Blake said.

“Right, but definitely me. I’m sure the day we get married will be the happiest day of my life. I can’t wait to buy my wedding gown. Just to search for the perfect gown will be so much fun.”

“How will you know that you’ve found the perfect gown?”

“Oh, I’ll know. The gown and I will know instantly that we’re best friends.”

Blake laughed. “So many gowns get worn once and put in a box for fifty years.”

“Not my gown. You’ll see it the day you marry me and then I may very well have days when I wear it all day long. Certainly on each of our wedding anniversaries.”

“You are so beyond cute,” Blake said.

“Anyway I’m glad I have a job where I look forward to going to work.”

“You had that with venetian blinds didn’t you?”

“I did, you’re right. But I think wedding dresses suit me a lot more. Venetian blinds made sense for Greg. But for Lisa it’s definitely dresses.”

“By the way, I had a long chat with my parents today. My mom has already fallen in love with you. However, she’s still going to need some time to get over me being Blake. My dad is proud of both of us for doing what we felt we had to do.”

“I’m so relieved that we’ll have that part of our family to rely on.”

“This weekend we’re visiting your family. Have you called them yet?”

“Do we have to?”

“You know that we do. Regardless of how it turns out, we’ll get through it together.”

“You’re right, you’re right. I just know what kinds of evil things my mom and dad will say about me. And then to think I brought you into that ugliness.”

“My belief is that wherever this starts – no matter how ugly – then it can only get better in time. But we have to start somewhere.”

Lisa dialed her parents and said, “I’m coming by for a visit this weekend. I’m bringing a friend, Blake.”

Nothing in her words gave away the surprise that would rock his family when he showed up at their door.

“On a happier subject,” Blake said, “let’s set up the party we talked about. It’s time to get our friends in on our secret. Especially now with Bonnie’s class under your belt, I’ll be damned if anyone thinks that you’re not a girl!”

“You’re such a darling. I’m going to love you forever.”

Lisa and Blake set a date three weeks hence on a Saturday night to have their “coming out” party. All their old and new friends will be invited.

Before they got up to clean the dishes Lisa said, “There’s one more thing, Blake.”

“What’s that? You look nervous.”

“It’s just that working among the wedding gowns makes me obsess about our marriage. We don’t have a date. We talked about it being far in the future. But I love you so much and – this is so embarrassing – I want to pick out my gown. I want to be your bride so badly I don’t know how I can wait!”

Blake laughed. “Sorry for laughing. I thought something terrible had happened to you. The last thing I would ever want to do is keep you waiting indefinitely to get your wedding gown. So let’s pick a date – which depends a lot on where we’ll have our wedding – and then you’ll know when you can start thinking about your gown.”

“Thank you Blake. You’re always so reasonable and kind to me! Now I’m sure I can sleep easier knowing that soon we can begin wedding planning!”

End Part 8

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos