Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 3384

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3384
by Angharad

Copyright© 2023 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
~~~~~~~~~

282 Dozen for dodecaphiles or 12 for 282philes!

My tear healed though Michael ( we were on first-name terms now) wanted to check me out, he was quite pleased that I seemed to be healing without any intervention and just told me to go gently when we next made love. I told him he should speak to Simon and not me, he replied, "Why talk to de monkey when I have de organ grinder here."

I laughed at his expression which he explained was if he had spoken to Simon, the first time he thought about sex, my vulnerability would go out the window and although he'd be very sorry if he caused me trouble again, it wouldn't stop him once he was in sex mode. So I would have to take control and remind him to be gentle or he wouldn't get any sex for a while. He reminded me that most men think of sex twenty-six hours a day.

Puzzled, I told him that there were only twenty-four hours in any one day, he laughed and said, for some of the hours, men were on double time. I think I understood and laughed with him but really were men that sexual? I suppose they were, he ought to know he's one himself and he is married to my ex-shrink, who is a very attractive woman. I say ex-shrink because I haven't felt a need for therapy for some time and although I've had some quite traumatic experiences I seem to be over them for the moment.
Simon phoned me and told me he could get the Jaguar insured for three thousand but that was the best he could, if settled for a VW golf which was three years old, he could get it for two thousand, the insurance that is, and he would give her the car for her birthday.

Of course, Danni was angry because none of her elder sisters had had to pay for insurance, so why did she? I tried to explain that it was something we felt would make her take more interest in the car and its safety if she had an investment in it as well. She went off on one and only calmed down when I told her that if she wanted a car those were the terms, otherwise she would be stuck with the scooter.

It didn't take her long before she had thought it over and decided that she would accept the terms. I reminded her that she still had to pass her test and that she couldn't legally drive a car on the road until she was actually seventeen, until then she was welcome to keep practicing her driving on a simulator or on Steve Turner's farm, he had quite a set of roads which he used for people to practice before they could drive on real roads. I had to pay him, but his wife was one of my botany lecturers, so he gave me a discount.

It made me smile, here, I was a member of one of the richest families in Europe and I was claiming discount. I know Henry would approve, he tells me that it was how they got their wealth but my researches into the family suggested they made their money stealing other people's sheep and cattle in the C18th. As far as I know they don't do it any longer, instead they rob them as a bank these days. Simon would kill me if he heard my inner thoughts, though it's not exactly news to him and in reply he would tell me that the bank's rates were competitive.

I didn't have the problem with Danni that I'd had with Julie, who, if you will remember, took her car for a drive after she had been drinking with some friends. As a result, Simon took the Mercedes off her and she ended up with a Smart car, I believe Mercedes look after their repairs and son, so perhaps she didn't lose out too badly. I know if I say Danni can't do something, she won't do it partly because she knows that consequences will follow and she will be in deeper shit than before. She found out the hard way but if she was to go out in a car without permission, she'd have to wait a year before she had another chance and recently she has learned to think a little before she acts.

So why didn't Sarah have to insure her own vehicle? She needed a car in order to carry out her duties for us and to visit relatives, remember she worked for us at one time, now she is considered family and gets an allowance like all the others, but she does look after the little ones when required. Her course was going very well and she was tutoring Danni at times but most of the time they were doing okay according to my spies.

Debbie, if you can remember that far back, another Tgirl from Sussex, has just submitted her PhD thesis on hedgehog hibernation and recovering spring populations. Daddy read it for her and suggested a few things, I also read it and made similar suggestions but her supervisor was Professor Anthony Bigglesworth. I know he must have suffered for years with all sorts of nick-names based on the Biggles stories by Capt W E Johns although nobody I knew used them, perhaps Biggles was rather passé these days.

I'm sure I read book when I was a girl about some kids at a circus called something like, The White Cockatoo, and I'm sure it was by Capt W E Johns but I can't find it amongst the list of his books on Wiki, I can remember the cover more than the story but it was quite a few years ago. It was hard back with a picture of a cockatoo on the spine and think there may have been a picture of a circus or something like it. I bought it at a jumble sale as an adventure story for girls. Thankfully my dad never twigged what it was. What happened to it I'll never know.

I also had a collection of Biggles books, I could read one in a day, they'd be worth something now but I suspect Mum or Dad got rid of them when I went to university, I know they redecorated my bedroom while i was away looking for my collection of female clothes, except I took what little I had with me to uni. So my bedroom got decorated and they found nothing incriminating there. I was actually very law abiding as kid and still am. I suffered quite a lot in school as I have said before and during the Lady Macbeth period when I dressed in a girl's uniform rather than the stage costume and Sîan and I had several adventures during that period.

Most of the time we didn't do much at all being satisfied that the two of us in school uniforms wasn't challenged by anyone and a few of times we persuaded a couple of boys that we might be interested in going to the cinema one evening. Of course we never went, Sîan had no interest in boys and I didn't either really, I was trying to work out what I was more than have fun. I know one of the boys from my chemistry class offered to take me to the cinema while I was in girl mode but I declined as I wasn't sure of his intentions, which were probably good. He later explained that he thought it would be nice to experience dating as girl while I was dressing as one. I was so screwed-up I really took fright so I lost out there.

I really didn't retain any of my contemporaries as friends, except Sîan and even there we lost touch for years and only got back together when i wrote to her after I was with Simon. I'm glad I did because she is my oldest friend, we've known each other since we were about ten or eleven and even then she described me as her girlfriend even though I was supposed to be a boy. She used to call me Charlotte, which a lot of the boys did too and the Echo showed me a few times as Charlotte, when I saved the old man when he fell in the garden, another when I played Lady Macbeth in the school play.

I really was conflicted as child, I felt I was a girl, but I was so heavily castigated by my parents I tried to hide it. I didn't make much of job of it because Mr Whitehead's wife told him she saw me as a girl, not a boy pretending to be a girl. In school quite a few boys in my English literature class, when we did a play were happy to read the men's part if Watts read the girl's part. Remember, I didn't have a male puberty so my voice remained in the higher registers usually associated with younger boys or with girls.

Remember the builder I worked for was happy that I could come dressed as girl I had wished to, so my voice would match my appearance. I didn't have the nerve to do it and my dad would have gone nuts because he was the one who set up my working there. It only lasted one summer holiday but he was a nice bloke and very laid back.

Oh, I have never mentioned the shop work I did during another summer holiday. I was with my mother and we had been shopping and we went collect her magazine from the newsagents and while we were there the newsagent complained that he could do with some help during the summer, he needed paperboys and also someone to help him in the shop. My hair was quite long at the time and he said to my mother, "Would your daughter be interested in a summer job?"

My mother looked at him oddly then suddenly laughed, "Oh, Charlotte you mean?" She knew that I was sometimes called that and that I had had appointments at the hairdresser's calling myself that. "What a lovely idea," she said and told him to ask me directly, even though I was there in person already.

"Well, Charlotte, want to work for me, you'd need to be here early in the morning, say five o'clock and you could look after the shop while I'm sorting out the papers for the boys to deliver. You'd be finished about noon unless you wanted to work over, I'd pay that at overtime, or time and a half. Well, what d'ya think?"

The money would be useful and he offered me £2.00 a an hour three if I worked over time. Seemed good to me and my mother was smiling, did that mean she approved. "Look, why don't you try tomorrow and see if you can do it?"

"Yes, why not Charlotte?" said my mother. I kept waiting for her to pull the carpet away from under me but it didn't happen. We walked back to her car and I was waiting to see what she said. It was, "You'd better go to bed early if you have to go to work at five, wear those girly jeans you have and you'd better a wear a bra to give some semblance of breasts and from behind it will also be visible and make you look more like a girl."

"Mum, why are you doing this?"

"I'd have thought the money will be useful?"

"Yes, it will, but you led him to believe I'm a girl, why?"

"Look in the mirror and I'll think you'll see why I couldn't call you my son, Besides you'll be out before your father is up and finished before he's home, so he won't see you."

"You're serious about this?"

"Yes, or I wouldn't have said it."

"Okay, you're on." So I worked in the newsagent and tobacconist for six weeks in my summer hols. He never did twig as far as I know and I became quite popular with his regulars, always trying to smile as I greeted them I also saved about a hundred quid which was big money to me and it meant I could buy a new bra and more jeans, all rather girlie but at least they fit me, boys jeans and trousers didn't. My mother and I never talked about it again, so my dad had no idea and the work wasn't difficult once I stopped yawning, in fact, I expect a trained monkey could do it so why not a transsexual youth?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Newsagents

Robertlouis's picture

Cathy’s stint in the newsagents takes me back to my own schooldays. I delivered papers Mondays to Saturdays for three years then took over the shop opening, including making up nine paper rounds every morning and serving behind the counter for a further two years before leaving school and going on to university.

The savings weren’t enough for a car, but they were enough to subsidise an otherwise frugal student lifestyle away from home for the first time. And the regular customers were real Glasgow characters!

The paper round was the first experience of commerce at any level for many of us. It certainly gave me the early rise habit that I’ve never lost, although I no less Niger leap out of bed at 4:30 am any more, thank goodness.

Thanks for stirring the exercise in nostalgia, Angharad. xxx

☠️

Biggles!

Ah Biggles books, I got into deep trouble for reading Capt. W.E. Johns books in the 1970's by a horrible English teacher who was well in advance of todays "Woke" culture. The author did use the casual racism of the time but it honestly went right over my head at the time, nowadays I see the books as way the author managed to travel the world on a tax deductible basis(age makes you so cynical)! The teacher concerned used to castigate me in front of the whole class about my reading choices and tried to get me to read a series of anthromoporthic(wish I could spell) animal stories which gave the bullies no end of ammunition to use on me. Reading the books again recently makes you see what rubbish they were but brilliantly descriptive of locations and travel. Same with the famous five, although George who wanted to be a boy and her cousin Anne who was so girly aroused more curiosity in me regarding alternative views on gender.

When you're young

Those summer jobs give your first taste at doing finances.

At 13

joannebarbarella's picture

I got my first paper round, starting at 5.30 a.m. which was actually illegal, but who cared. I graduated to assembling the papers for my round but then became a green-grocer's delivery boy and assistant because the hours were kinder and the pay was better. I also ran the shop at weekends when the owner wanted a break and, when his wife became ill I was the shop operator during my school holidays. I enjoyed the work and the only thing I hated was boiling the beetroot in the early mornings.

I continued in this employment until I finished school at 16.

I never

Maddy Bell's picture

Had any sort of job before I left school, my parents didn’t approve and tbh, the family was never at home weekends so it wouldn’t have worked well.

Back when I was a tween literature for kids wasn’t as widely written as it is today, I hoovered up Biggles, Bunter and anything by Milne. I couldn’t tell you plots or very much about them now but at the time they filled my need for reading material.

I’m surprised that when Charlotte was at school Biggles was available, I’ve not seen the books for 40 years which is about Cathy’s current age?

Have the Cameron’s been invited to next weekends shindigs?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Literature!

joannebarbarella's picture

70 years ago what we might call "young adult" books were a staple of my childhood, Biggles, Just William, Enid Blyton (Famous Five), Billy Bunter et al. I was also enchanted by dinosaurs!

Remember my first car well

it was a Morris Marina, Which at the time was all i could afford, Never a reliable starter there was many a day when it needed a push but it served a purpose given we had recently started a family ,Although never as mentioned a good starter it did come good on the one time we really needed it, Our youngest son started having fever fits and we were told to take him to the hospital which given it was well past midnight meant the roads were empty, Luckily we saw no police cars as i imagine we broke rather a few laws getting there , Our son was treated in hospital and was fine to leave a couple of days later.

Loved the story about Cathy's mum life could have been so different for her if her mum had been more assertive, On the down side though would Cathy have met Simon if she had been allowed to grow up in her true sex, Sometimes life has a way of sorting out the right path forward for you, Even if you don't see it at the time...

Kirri

My first job . . .

. . . was mowing grass; hot, hot and dirty but beat pullin’ tobacco; no nicotine-poisoning vomits.

I saved enough to buy a computer (256 bytes of memory) and teach myself programming. Mowing was work and I had weekend fun programming. Eventually programming was work and I had a mortgage on a house with a lawn, in Texas no less, so I could have weekend fun . . . Wait! What happened? I’ve been tricked!

Reading

Robertlouis's picture

I was both voracious and precocious as a young reader and was indulged by aunts etc at Christmas and birthdays with books by Dickens, George Eliot, Walter Scott, R L Stevenson etc from the age of 9 or 10. Yes, I’d read some Enid Blyton too but had outgrown it very early. My teachers at primary school didn’t know how to deal with me - I was reading Scott Fitzgerald at age 11.

God, I must have been an insufferable child!

☠️

Finally had time to read this

Finally had time to read this chapter, another good one!

I delivered newspapers while in high school, among other things. The worst part was the Sunday edition was a morning paper and we were always up and at 'em early those mornings, and if it was winter there could be a lot of snow and the walks weren't shoveled.

Teddie