Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3062

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3062
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

On the Monday morning Liz arrived while we were having breakfast—the girls rose a bit later than usual, but they were showered and dressed.

“You’re early,” I greeted her.

“Yeah, serially. I’m a morning person.”

“Right, not sure what I am other than stay up until it’s finished sort of person.”

She laughed, “You’re a mum, it goes with the territory I believe.”

“They didn’t tell me that—beforehand.” I nodded towards the grumbling siblings.

She laughed again, “Why d’you think I don’t have any? I’ve covered junior schools where we not only tried to educate their minds, we tried to teach them some table manners. It was an inner city school and half of them got a free breakfast and lunch, so we knew they’d had something to eat that day.”

“I know of such things from reports in the papers or radio but thankfully I’ve never experienced it. I did have a young student die from AIDS, that was very sad. His dad was homophobic and he didn’t feel able to tell them.”

“So he came to you, someone he knew he could trust.”

“Sadly, he was so sick by then he had very little chance of survival, only I didn’t realize that when I took him to hospital. We did manage to heal some of the family divisions and they all saw him before he died, which happened quite suddenly.”

“How old was he?”

“About twenty two or three.”

“That’s far too young to die.”

“I agree.”

“Still nothing you could do, was there?”

“I did all I could, still cuts me up but not as much as losing a child.”

“Oh no, I’m really sorry.”

I pointed to a group photo of the girls and one boy. Ooops, big mistake.

“You lost a son, then? That must have been awful with all those girls.”

“Um, no. I lost this one, Billie,” I pointed her out. “She died in a cycling accident though the cause of death was a cerebral bleed caused by an aneurysm.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

I shrugged.

“Where’s the boy then, you only have girls here?”

“That was me, Liz,” said Danielle in an act of self-sacrifice and great courage.

“You’re joking?”

“No, I thought I wanted to be a boy and Mum and the others indulged me, then I found I could play soccer as a girl, so here I am.”

“What? You were a tomboy and discovered you could be a soccer playing girly girl?”

“That’s about it,” she blushed like a tomato—not that I’ve ever seen one of them blush. But it was half past eight, the others were dressed but she was dressed and wearing enough makeup for the rest of us.

“You still play soccer, do you?”

“Uh yeah.”

Liz nodded.

“Ask her for whom she plays?”

“Cor, grammar must have been well taught in your school,” she observed.

“Yeah, Bristol Grammar.”

“Right,” she nodded probably thinking, ‘We’ve got a right one here.’ “Okay, Danielle, for whom do you play?”

“Portsmouth ladies and the school, of course.”

“Of course,” agreed Liz.

“Tell her who else?” I prodded.

“Um—you sure?”

“Absolutely,” I never felt more positive.

“It’s hardly going to be England, is it, so who is it?” Liz tried to encourage her.

“Actually it is, Liz, she’s a woman international, three caps at senior level and two at schools level.”

Liz’s mouth fell open. “I am sorry, Danielle, I never thought—wow, so you played for England—in the World Cup?”

“No they thought I was too young to cope with the stress of that.”

“I’ll bet you would have, wouldn’t you?”

“I’d have tried.”

“None of your sisters play as well do they?”

“Trish and Livvie play for the school and Trish is pretty good.”

“But not International level…”

“Yet,” came as a rejoinder from the table as the speaker spread jam on her toast.

This was met with a roar of laughter as they all thought it was funny on several levels, not least that Trish probably isn’t good enough to play for England, but her ego demands that she try. Not necessarily a bad thing if it gives confidence and perseverance.

I had to leave, so finished my tea and grabbed my handbag and laptop bag. “You okay for all day?”

“Yeah, no prob unless they get bored with me.”

“I thought I was paying you for that not to happen. It’s only a week.”

“I was joking, once you’re gone I’ll harness them to sewing machines and turn your lounge into a sweat shop.”

“If you do, open the windows for a little while before I get home, will you. I hate smelly rooms.”

“Of course.”

“Right I’m off,” I pecked each of them on the cheek and as I left, “Oh if you don’t fancy a safari, we have some dormice in the university—we do captive breeding.”

“Sounds like a slave colony.”

“I’d never thought of it sounding that way before; but yes we breed from captive dormice. So if you want to see one, we have some there.”

“Oh thank you for that. My wimpishness has never before been demonstrated so overtly. Living on my own, I have real dread of being ill.”

“Been there done that,” I smiled, the perplexed expression that met me meant I had to elaborate just a smidgen, “When I was at uni doing my masters.”

“Ah, know it well. That was as far as I wanted to go with higher education unless I was doing the teaching. Hence this.”

“If it works, don’t knock it.”

I drove to work feeling somewhat miffed that I had to be there, but that’s what they pay me for, allegedly. Diane was ebullient, she was finishing at lunch time and while it meant I’d get more done in her absence, I’d also resent it. But I had so much to do. I’d already decided that I’d go a for a walk each lunchtime if only to have a break from pushing paper around and get some air.

As soon as Diane had gone, I grabbed my bag and walked towards the town centre stopping at a charity shop en route where my eye alighted on a book of British Bird song with two CDs containing examples. There was a bit of narrative every so often but I sat and listened to it as background noise while I worked, hoping to absorb subconsciously things like the different warblers which I have difficulty in identifying without seeing them. I already considered I was more likely to notice the garden warbler a lot quicker simply by his call.

Some are easy to remember, yellow hammer is easy, woodpeckers are too, especially the green one—which is actually yellow and black stripes when seen close to—and nuthatches are distinctive, especially to someone who spent so much of her time in or around woodlands, so are whitethroat on the edge of woodlands, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen quail—I expect Simon has shot them or eaten them, which I think is disgusting, to me they look like fat sparrows with about as much meat as a sparrow; fine for a sparrow hawk, but not a human. But then there’s only about enough meat on a pheasant for a sandwich so I should imagine grouse are similar.

At four, I’d had enough of work and the birdsong and went home to find out what had been happening there.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wet my lips

I was cycling through Denmark a few years ago, and near a little town called Onsild (Odin's Hill), in the rain, I heard a field-full of that call. Didn't see a single quail, but I certainly heard them.

seen them in Sainsburys

Maddy Bell's picture

But the healthiest were the ones on the NY Moors a few years ago! I'm not a great fan of game birds, not enough meat on em!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I have Mourning Doves who

I have Mourning Doves who have, for some reason, decided one of my hanging baskets on my back deck is an excellent place to raise a family. I think the location under a covered deck may protect them some what from larger predator birds.
Either it is the same pair or it is imprinted into some of their offspring; because it has happened 6 years in a row now.
A couple of things I did discover while watching these birds is how fast their off spring (no more than three, generally two) grow after being hatched.
They are fully grown after 5 weeks. This is because they are part of the pigeon family, and that is why no-one ever really sees baby pigeons. Also got to watch the "broken wing" action done by the mother or father bird, which is designed to take your eyes off the nest and babies.
This ploy is used by these and a few other birds.
I have startled the mother or father bird a couple of times.
S/he would leave the basket, acting like their wing was broken and actually "flop fly" down to the ground below; then flop around and in a direction away from the nest, before flying off.
I would eventually see her or him sitting on a power line watching the nest, before s/he would fly back to it.
I and my family members discovered that if we came around, and acted in a slow manner and did not go towards the nest itself, s/he would just sit there and watch us.
And it is interesting to watch the parent birds teaching the babies how to fly.

"At four, I’d had enough of work and the birdsong and went home

to find out what had been happening there." No cliff-hangers no startling exposés. That's why I so enjoy reading EAFOB, you always seem to get it right. . . . life does not have be exciting all the time, and by golly, you are just as good at finishing episodes the other way too!

Great Tit

A very good friend of mine told me that the Great Tit sounds like someone inflating a bicycle tyre up with a pump. Something I now cannot forget. My favourite call is the Great Northern Diver. It can be both beautiful and mournful at the same time.

May you find enough time in your hectic life to write some more episodes for your very grateful band of readers Angharad.

Love to all

Anne G.

Birds

For the benefit of the colonials (teasing...) a great northern diver is what the Americans call a loon. My own take on great tit song is "Teacher teacher teacher teacher" and I can see exactly how that can be described as frenzied tyre pumping!

Not seen a

great deal yet about Liz's background story , I do wonder though about her financial needs given her concern yesterday about being paid if she went on the dormouse survey , Perhaps its something and nothing but given Cathys tendency to help out those less fortunate than herself, We can have no doubt that by the end of the week if there is a problem Cathy will know about it .

Loved the way Danni helped her mum out without actually giving away any secrets about her past , Quick thinking like that show's that not all her skills are football based ...

Kirri

Experience

Podracer's picture

Liz's teaching background seems well suited to wrangling the junior Camerons. I don't believe she is ready for WonderCath, action angel, quite yet. Maybe she can adapt to the gender questions - we need to know what her mind is made of.
I'm fortunate to ride through various bird sounds every day, and love to hear the returning migrants and spring song.
Been presented with the "wounded bird" performance by a skylark, but knowing what it meant it pointed me back to the well camouflaged nest.

"Reach for the sun."

I like the haunting call

Angharad's picture

of the Australian magpie, sadly their character isn't as pleasant. In Europe, golden orioles are rather special too and of course nightingales, but they are becoming increasingly scarce.

Angharad

Birds, random stuff

Aussie magpie: incredibly aggressive birds to cyclists. I have been chased by them, and ended up doing the 'cable ties on helmet' trick. They will not only peck at you while diving, but land on the back of your helmet and reach around to peck at your eyes.

Their song is so haunting that it was used in the horror/SF film "Pitch Black" as the noise the monsters make.

I got fed up with Golden Orioles when in Hungary. They form a major part of the dawn chorus, and being woken up in my tent at first light every morning by their "Who do YOU do?" call left me out of love with them.

Nightingales sing all day and night, and they are, oddly, very easily seen over the Channel. Good spots are Het Zwin near Zeebrugge, and the estuaries of the Canche, Aithie and Somme in Picardy. Nightingale sone has some specific 'themes', one of which is a loud "JUG JUG JUG" and the other a soft "Piu piu piu". When you watch the bird doing those, its beak is wide open for the quiet one, and closed for the loud one, which looks odd.

There is a campsite in Sussex that once asked me in to catalogue their bird life, and the website used to have a recording made there of the regular Summer nightingales they get.

https://blackberrywood.com/

Blackberrywood Sounds Like Hassocks

joannebarbarella's picture

Of course, I'm sixty-five plus years out of date but we used to go to pick bluebells in the woods just south of Hassocks.

The Aussie magpie is only aggressive during the nesting season if it thinks you are threatening its chicks and you are right in saying it singles out cyclists. Funnily enough I can walk through a local nesting ground without protection and they leave me alone while dive-bombing anyone on a bike. At other times of the year they are harmless.