Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3049

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3049
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I reflected on what had just transpired, and I don’t mean it in the biological sense. The girls were all individuals and as such dealt with life differently. However, they all still dwelt under my roof, so my rules applied—although I do allow some freedom of interpretation to be applied providing it fits in with the rest of the family.

I hadn’t been aware that Julie had been putting herself about, so as soon as she sobered up we needed to have some words and I’d have to try and help her see the error of her ways. Being an easy conquest doesn’t help your reputation or keep the risk of sexually transmitted disease on the right side of low. I needed to find out what was going on with Julie and why she was acting as she was.

Phoebe was relatively sober and I requested her presence in my study. Okay, so it felt like the headmistress’ study at school, which wouldn’t be too dissimilar from the reality as I’m head of an educational institution, so could be seen as a sort of headmistress cum ogress. The nonverbals Phoebe was giving off, could certainly agree with the latter idea, but I’d looked in the mirror earlier and I hadn’t turned green as far as I knew. Or could it be my knowledge of ogresses was limited to Shrek?

“Sit down,” I instructed my adopted daughter, and pointed to the settee opposite the one I was occupying. She did as I bid her and stared at the floor. Next time I buy a carpet I’m going to have something with a pattern that is interesting to look at rather than just make the room look and feel comfortable; though the way she was staring at it, it was mighty interesting.

“Just what is going on with Julie?”

She shrugged and gazed again at the carpet.

“Phoebe, I’m not stupid despite how you girls probably refer to me as such; I’m concerned about Julie’s behaviour. All the others seemed to know about it, so why didn’t someone say something? You’re the one who’s closest to her, working with her every day—so what is going on?”

“Nothing, Mummy—honest.”

“I hate to say, I don’t quite believe you, but I’m afraid I don’t and as this isn’t the Cosa Nostra we don’t operate an omerta, so I’d be grateful if you’d spill the beans.”

Phoebe stared at me as if I were talking a foreign language—I suppose I was but both the expressions appeared in a good English dictionary despite their Italian origins. It transpired she knew nothing about the Mafia or their code of silence and having to explain it sort of takes away the poetry of the spoken word.

Eventually I coaxed out of her what the others had been saying with the extra that, ‘Julie might have some issues with being trans and being adopted.’

“D’you see her as transsexual?” I asked.

“No, course not—she’s my sister.”

“Thank you for that, so why does she have these issues?”

“I thought all of you did—I’ve heard you talking to Daddy and Auntie Stella about it.”

“You, presumably referring to all the transgender people in this family?”

She went bright scarlet and nodded, “Sorry,” was added almost inaudibly.

From what she was saying, she was operating on dual standards or on two levels. On one she saw Julie and the rest of us as female relatives but also as transsexual women and that made us different, so more liable to be assaulted or even murdered. If that was the case why didn’t she say something? Anyway, I hadn’t asked her to see me to discuss her acceptance of transsexuals, given she lives in a house full of them, one assumes her acceptance is high.

“You said she has some issues about being adopted?” I switched from the trans issue to see if that made any difference to her confiding in me.

“I suppose we all do, except I asked you to be my mum after my original one died, so my reasons were different.”

“Are they? Livvie’s parents are both dead, possibly Mima’s are too. Each of you had a different reason for wanting to be adopted other than someone to care for you which would be a basic need. Trish needed to be reassured that she was acceptable as a girl and to deal with the trauma of abuse and life in a children’s home. Livvie needed a family, especially parents who actually loved her not just tolerated her.

“You needed someone to help you cope with your grief and to help you cope with becoming an adult. I hope I measured up.”

“Yes, Mummy, you’ve been brilliant—look, I love you all as my family and I don’t want to tell tales on anyone.”

“That’s understandable and to an extent laudable but it doesn’t help me stop this destructive behaviour by one of your sisters, does it?”

“No I s’pose not,” the carpet became very interesting again.

“Now I’m aware of what is happening I have to say something, I can’t just let her ruin her life, which she’s built really well. I’m so proud of you two building up your own business, don’t think I could.”

She shrugged. “Julie has to prove she’s as much a woman as you are. There, I’ve said it now.”

“I hope you’re joking.”

“No, it’s true.”

“I wanted to be a role model to an extent but that was more about women being empowered and succeeding in a male dominated world. I also wanted to show that the name, woman, wasn’t a narrow definition of half of humanity using standards set by catwalk models and fashion magazines. Women from all walks of life or backgrounds could make something of their lives, including those who perhaps got off on the wrong foot or wrong body.”

She glanced up at me and smiled a very warm smile. “You’re a real romantic, aren’t you, Mummy?”

“It’s taken you this long to work it out?”

“No, I’ve known it for a long time but I also know you’ll fight hard to protect your family.”

“So will most women.”

“Yes but you will do it literally as well. You did the weekend I first stayed here when we saw the woman get stabbed in the pub.”

“That was a bit of a one off.”

“What? You done equally mad things quite regularly ever since.”

“Sorry, I obviously failed your image of a maternal role model.”

She laughed, “Failed? I think you’re amazing.” With that she walked across and hugged me.

Now it was my turn to blush.

After we’d hugged I sent her off to make some tea thereby demonstrating the interview was over. I still didn’t know what I needed to say to Julie when we talked but I urgently needed to speak with her as it sounded as if she had some major issues to work through. I wondered about speaking with Stephanie but Julie was an adult so I wasn’t sure if she could still treat her. I quietly walked up the stairs and knocking gently found Julie asleep over the bucket, which had some vomit in it. This could be a real test of maternal qualities in more senses than one.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Growing up- -

comes with a whole load of variables added to uncertainties and multiplied by doubts; it's almost inevitable that teenagers will make mistakes and often calamitous ones at that. Julie needs time but sadly time is something very few people have got, old and young alike. It'll probably all come out in the wash, (what's bothering her that is.) and eventually she will hopefully find the easy 'railway lines' to a faster rite of passage. It'll probably all come out in the wash.

Good luck Julie and pray for a soft landing (Any landing you can walk away from is good landing.)

Thanks for the return of your regular nocturnal delights Ang and I'm glad you enjoyed Espana.

x Bev.

Still lovin it.

bev_1.jpg

Lost chapter?

Has a chapter gone astray? Numbering goes from 3047 to todays issue 3049.

back at last

I suppose we can all allow you a holiday now and then, really missed the story after zooming through all 3000+ episodes. By the way I seemed to miss the Dinner party where Cathy had invited another academic around with her husband Prudence! is that me missing an episode or did it effuse into the ether and not get included. On tonight's chapter,regarding knowing our children, I have just read the psychiatric report on one of my offspring - the way he seems to view us is very hurtful and disappointing but who knows what goes on in a young persons head and we seem to have a diagnosis at last, but what good does a label do?

Thank you!!!!

Good luck in your studies.
I'm sure you will do well.
I will miss my, almost daily, dose of the Dormouse saga.
John

JBP

They're all very fortunate.

I was living more or less independently from the age of 17 with a little financial support initially. I lived in digs and hen, after a very short spell living with my father, stepmother and half siblings in a bed-sitter. So although I had a home to go to (where I was always welcome) I was on my own socially with no-one to ask for advice and certainly no emotional support.

I know this is a fictional family and very few (none?) real families are like this but I envy the support they get. I hope Ang makes them appreciate it :)

Robi