Walks Like A Duck

Printer-friendly version
Walks Like A Duck

"You know what they say, if it walks like a duck...."

"Pour water on it."

-Joyce Melton

By Melanie E.

-==-

"What do you mean you're a boy!" Evelyn asked her daughter, leaning back against the kitchen counter in shock.

"I mean what I said. I'm a boy, not a girl. I've always felt that way."

"But--"

"But what?"

"But," Evelyn said again, looking her daughter up and down. "But you don't look like a boy."

"That's why I need to see the doctor. I want to stop my body becoming any more feminine than it is."

"But you don't act like a boy!"

"What do boys act like?"

That one stumped Evelyn, since she had to admit that every answer she could come up with seemed awfully sexist, but she thought her next question would cinch it.

"But you like boys, don't you?"

"I mean, yeah! What's that got to do with anything? Or do you object to me being gay too?"

"I..." Evelyn started, but trailed off, not sure what to say.

"Sigh. Mom, I love you, but I'm tired of living a lie. I need to do this."

Evelyn swallowed hard, then took another look at the papers from the doctor's office she had been handed. It was as her child had told her: nothing permanent, no hormone treatments for at least two years of evaluation. No surgeries until they were eighteen at the earliest, giving her three years to come to grips with what she'd been told.

She loved her child. She would always love her child.

"Fine," Evelyn conceded, standing up and giving her daughter -- no, son? Her child a kiss on the forehead. "Then what do I call you?"

"Jamie, same as always," Jamie said, giving his mom a firm hug.

"So I guess no more skirts or makeup then?" Evelyn asked disappointedly, once again taking in Jamie's feminine outfit.

Jamie laughed. "Why not? Boys can wear skirts too!"

"Oh," Evelyn said, leaning against the counter again as she considered her problems once more.

-==-

END

NOTES:

Okay, so this is short and silly, but it's inspired by a lot of comments I've been getting on my own stories, and seeing on other folks' stories, about how characters who look, or act, or sound feminine should just give in to being girls, because, well, they're girls, aren't they?

It makes me want to ask one simple question: "Why?"

Comments, kudos, and discussion welcome.

*hugs*

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

gender identity vs. gender presentation

laika's picture

I love the way Mom is struggling to figure this out, when all she has to go on
is the usual stereotypes and her preconceptions of what makes a boy or a girl.
It's a nice reminder that when it comes to trans people one size really doesn't fit all.
A cute little vignette that's probably happening at a kitchen table somewhere right now...
~hugs, Veronica

I agree. There is no stuck.

I agree. There is no stuck in real life. No going along with what the majority want for you just because it seems like the course of least resistance. Sure some one with a male Gender Identity can transition back to being Male in body. That is even if their body rebels against them in puberty or if they have Androgen Insensitivity syndrome, or born with ambiguous genitals or any one of the intersex conditions. That is why the best form of treatment for the intersexed is to not have any genital surgery is to wait until the person can tell the parents and Doctors what their gender identity is for real. Even for those who can not transition due to medical, legal, or personal reasons their gender identity remains cross gender from their bodies In fact that is the pre-transition state of every trans man and trans woman.

In fact there is a reason why medical science has determined that it is impossible to change the mind of a transwoman or transman and thus the body must be changed to effect a congruence. There is a reason afforded by the spiritual that I have discovered why that is the case backed up by the greatest power in the universe even though Medical science does not have a clue why efforts to change the mind always fail. If you would like to have more details on my discovery, lets take it to PM since I don't think an open discussion of that topic is good for BCTS.

In a magical universe it is possible for a cis-gendered person of one gender to be turned into a cis-gendered person of the opposite gender. That isn't stuck, that is identity death. IMHO and YMMV.

Jo Dora Webster

Short, yes. But silly?

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I didn’t think it was silly. Light, sure, but thoughtful and thought-provoking. And, as always, nicely written. Thanks, Melanie!

Emma

cool !

very neat!

DogSig.png

Enough work

Angharad's picture

for a therapist for years.

Angharad

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I'm not responding to individual comments on this one mostly 'cause I feel like the story says what it needs to say, and I don't want to get much deeper into it.

*hugs*

Melanie E.