The Voice on the Line

Printer-friendly version

The Voice on the Line
Another Super Short Short Story- around 900 words.
 
By Melanie Ezell

 
The most important thing in the world is finding that one person who is always there for you,
and being there for them ...
no matter what.

The Voice on the Line

-=-=-=-=-

"Ding-Dong."

Vincent winced as he straightened his back, leaning heavily on the cane in his right hand. He held the flowers he had purchased carefully in the crook of his left arm, fresh cut yellow roses wrapped in glittering cellophane. She had told him, once, that yellow roses were her favorite.

She had told him a lot of things, and he remembered them all. Every word she had ever spoke to him was permanently imprinted in his mind, every letter she had written him, every laugh that had come drifting down the wires to him after one of his jokes. They had kept him going when all other hope was lost. She was his guardian angel, and he was finally going to meet her face to face.

"Ding-Dong," went the bell again. She had said she would be home today, waiting for him. They had both been nervous during their last call, neither one sure of the wisdom of what they were doing. All they knew was they needed each other, and that the time had finally come.

Vincent had first heard from her two weeks after leaving with his unit for their first tour of duty, through a program the military had introduced where volunteers would write to soldiers as a way to keep their spirits up. With no family, and little to look forwards to once the war was over and he returned home other than a cheap efficiency apartment and neighbors who would not have missed him, Vincent's spirits were in desperate need of the hope that her letter had brought him. Someone he had never met had cared enough to write him a letter. Soon they were trading messages almost weekly, and when his unit reached a station with reliable phones, Vincent worked up the courage to dial the number she had sent him.

Her voice had been so beautiful, and all too soon the ten minutes he had been limited to were gone, and he could not wait for the next opportunity to call her again. And he did, as often as possible. Even after the explosion that took his leg below the knee, and permanently blinded him on his right side, he held on through the pain in the hope of hearing from her again.

"Ding-Dong." He knew she would be down soon. The military had no more use for him, but she had not stopped caring. His return home had brought more pain, both from his aching body and the financial crisis, but at least he could talk to her every day, the one light in his world of shadows. Then she had stopped calling. She had grown distant, and Vincent had become convinced he had said or done something wrong. How could she love a broken, useless ex-soldier? How could anyone love someone like him?

After almost a month of silence, Vincent had decided to end it. He had spent the last money in his account to purchase the cheap .38 special he had held in his shaking hand. No note, no will, no one to remember the empty husk of a man he had become. But something inside urged him to try just one more time, so with a heavy heart he had picked up the phone and dialed.

And she had answered.

Fast forward two weeks, to find him standing at her door. He had sold everything he owned and flew out immediately when she had asked, and now he stood waiting for her, a last fifty in his wallet and the clothes on his back his only personal possessions besides the wooden cane he supported himself with. She had warned him that she might not be what he was expecting, but he could not care. There was nothing in this world, no problem so large that could keep him from giving himself to the woman he loved.

"Ding-Dong."

"I'm coming." That voice he knew so well called from the other side of the oak door, all the more beautiful for how close he was to its source. Vincent stood with bated breath as the lock clicked, the old brass handle rotating and swinging inwards.

"You're Vincent?" The voice asked. Vincent looked up into the worried eyes of the person before him in awe.

"I am. You're Jessie?"

A nod, followed by a short sob. "You remembered my favorite flowers." Tears streaming, Jessie stepped back from the door, and Vincent stepped forwards. "I, I'm so sorry I'm not the woman you thought-"

"But, you are." It was painful beyond imagining, and he nearly fell, but Vincent managed to lower himself to one knee before the only person in the world that mattered. "Jessie, I have nothing to give you but the love in my heart, but if you'll take me, I would spend the rest of my life with you. Jessie... will you marry me?"

That voice, that beautiful voice that had taken him through hell and back, from the most beautiful person he had ever met. "You... Yes. Yes!" Vincent felt light as air as he was pulled upright, and wrapped in Jessie's arms as both their tears stained his shirt. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Happy Endings...

...I love them!

But, Oh, what subtext! Nicely done, Hon!

Voices

What a wonderful short story! So much left unsaid but still there nonetheless. This touched my heart with its gentleness. A real gem. Voice on the line indeed! Plus as Pippa said a happy ending too. What else could you want!

hugs!

grover

Loved it!

You could completely feel what was going through both their minds.

I wish I had your ability to say so much with so few words.

Thank you

You write beautifully, Melanie. Thank you for this story. Hugs, Daphne

Daphne

Thank you

A very heartfelt story in so few words. Of all the thing imaginable, love is the most amazing. Even in our modern society we can still use our senses to receive input from hand written letters and telephones. Whether it is reading between the ines and actively listening, the message is there.

Thank you!

Beautifully written!

Melanie,

This popped up in my random solos last week and I read it then. I got busy and didn't have time to comment. When I saw it pop up again, I decided to read it again.

I loved it. Short, sweet, self-contained, and a wonderful story. What more could you ask for?

As you are well aware, short shorts are about the hardest literature to write. You succeeded beautifully.

Hugs
Carla Ann

Beautiful...

Andrea Lena's picture

...my blouse is stained with my own tears over the precious message of this story. Thank you, Melanie

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So much said...

Zoe Taylor's picture

... with such few words. This is a masterpiece. I need a tissue now. :-)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

This is Wonderful!

[email protected] Thanks so much Melanie! I'm a huge fan of brevity. Though longer stories tend to wrap me up and carry me away, this did the same. Less truly can be more.

Love And Hugs,
Jonelle

once again

random solos brings me a story I'm sorry I didnt find earlier. So much implied rather than said, but oh-so-clear, despite that. Well done.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

U Rite Good

Love at its purest.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)