Locks of Love

Printer-friendly version

Locks of Love

Melanie E.

-==-

"Tommy's going to be so disappointed when he sees what you've done."

"I know, Mom, but I had to if I wanted to get his gift on time."

"But selling your hair? He always loved it so much, and today is supposed to be special for him."

"It will be, Mom. I promise."

Mom just gave another 'tsk' of disapproval, but I kept smiling back at her, clutching the bag with my gift tightly. She was right, after all; today was Tommy's special day; the day he finally got to come home from the hospital.

It had been a long time since I'd seen my sibling in anything other than a hospital room, though he had remained upbeat the entire time. I spent as much time with him as I could, playing games or just talking, sometimes even letting him braid or brush my hair while he would lament the loss of his own to the chemo. I knew that seeing my new 'do, chopped almost boyishly short, would hurt him, but I hoped he would like what he got in return.

Mom and Dad entered the room first, and I watched from the doorway as they hugged my brother and showered him with gifts. "Where's Tamara?" He asked them. Mom looked back toward me, standing in the door, and I could still see the disapproval in her eyes. When Tommy turned to see where she was looking, though, the hurt there was almost too much to bear.

"Tamara! Your hair!" He cried, rushing over to me and first giving me a hug, then frowning as he reached up to feel my locks.

"I know, I know, but it was for a good cause," I said, smiling at him. "I donated it to a cancer patient in need."

"Oh," he said, then began to smile. "I hope she loves it as much as I did."

"I'm sure she will," I said with a grin and a wink, then handed him the bag I'd brought in. "Love ya Tammy," I whispered in her ear.

-= End =-

NOTES:
What happens with the parents? Was this a good idea on Tamara's part, or does it cause problems for them all? Given it's a story by me, I think you all know how *I* would have it go... but we'll leave things here, and you can work out your own answer to the questions.

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Was Waiting

joannebarbarella's picture

For the "O'Henry" moment but it didn't arrive. Nice twist.

When I was growing up, I had a lot of acceptance and support.

This cute story reminds me of my younger days. I did not have cancer, but I did have friends, and adult support. I love how Tamara sold her hair to get Tammy a wig. At least, I think it is wig in that bag. Thank you for sharing this heart warming story.

With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl ion me, Then I have the right to be."

a special sibling

I bet Tammy loves her gift

DogSig.png

This is beautiful and I feel

This is beautiful and I feel bad that I thought it really was like The Gift of the Magi.

Sometimes people can do amazing things for love, even at great personal expense. That's true family there, that's undying love. Beautiful!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Never offended me!

Given the time of year that's approaching and the hair element, I figured a few Magi comparisons would be unavoidable. I'm just glad you enjoyed it!

Melanie E.

Selfless gift

Jamie Lee's picture

Thinking of the needs of others before self is a great gift. Nice story, nice twist.

Others have feelings too.

Super

Even with the short length, this is one of the best sibling support stories. It sent me to tears.

Awww...

This is such a sweet story! Tammy has a pretty awesome sister. :)