The Valentine

Printer-friendly version

The Valentine

By Melanie E.

This is a short piece I wrote in honor of the time of year.

-----

It had to have been the wrong locker.

There was no way anyone would know. There was no way anyone COULD know. Was there?

I looked down at the package in my hand again.

It might not have been a large box of chocolates, but the size was not what mattered. It was what the chocolates, as well as the attached envelope, represented that mattered.

I opened the card and read it for the fifth time in the last two minutes.

"To Emily, the most beautiful girl I know."

There was no signature.

A shove from behind reminded me that the halls were full of other students making their way to their own classes, and how little time I had before first period. I reached to put the box of chocolates back into my locker, but something inside would not let me. Instead, I slid them into my bag with my book and made my way to class.

Luckily for me, Valentine's Day meant that most of the other students were just as distracted by various Valentines as I, and the teachers, seeing the futility of trying to do any actual work, had universally agreed to keeping the day light. That gave me plenty of time to stew over the problem.

There were at least six other Emilies... Emilys?... in the school, and one other in my grade. Not only that, but nobody knew about me being Emily either. At least, I had thought not. So, it was probably just a mix-up. Yeah. That was it.

Nevertheless, when lunch time rolled around I found myself in an out of the way corner of the quad staring at the box of chocolates until at last, the urge was irresistible. Using my nail, I broke the plastic seal on the box and opened it. Inside were eight perfect chocolates, individually wrapped. Checking the key, I picked out a praline and bit into it. Even the taste was perfect. Unfortunately, hearing footsteps nearby broke the spell, and as quickly as I could I closed the box and hid it away again, still no wiser as to its origin.

The rest of the afternoon was hell, and when class finally let out I rushed home as quickly as possible. I would only have a couple of hours to myself before my parents came home from work.

The instant the door was locked behind me, I dashed to my room and changed into my own clothes. Not the clothes I had to wear to school, but the ones for the real me. Much more comfortable, I settled onto my bed and pulled the box and envelope out again.

"To Emily, the most beautiful girl I know."

Mistake or not, I no longer cared. The chocolates lasted a week, and I held onto the box for another three months before fear of discovery led to its discard, but the envelope and the Valentine within were two items I would never let go of. I never found out who wrote it, but I like to think it was intended for me all along.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short,

ALISON

'but sweet!

ALISON

What a precious story...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I hope that I can get a valentine like that someday. Thank you so much for giving my dream a bit of hope today!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

thats a challenge 'drea.

how could we say how wonderful a woman you are in just words?

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Valentine

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I normally struggle to get into stories this short as they often feel over before they have started. However, this story was filled with a beautiful, gentle innocence and it felt the perfect length for it. Very well done. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Short, well written and bittersweet

Like bittersweet chocolate, good for you but ...

The sad part is that either someone knows his secret, unlikely but possible, and is attracted to *her* but was too shy to take it any further. IE three months go by and no further notes or contact. If it was a cruel joke why not a follow-up prank or mocking laughter by someone or group at school? More likely it was meant of another Emily and pt in the wrong locker.

Poor child, to grasp at straws for some shread of love.

I could feel the childs pain.

Well done. Aspects of the child's life/shyness came a bit closer to home than I am comfortable with. Thank you for sharing this. I hope this child is not you.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

My mama always said life is like a box of

laika's picture

...perfectly written short stories. This was great for what it DIDN'T reveal, an encounter with the sender would have made it all far more ordinary...

Couple of years ago I was trudging down an ugly industrial street on a slushy gray Feb 14, when a woman hollared out of her car window: "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!"

Just that. A simple human hello/acknowledgement from a stranger, coming on a day of the year that's never once been romantic for me and has always been hard for me. And I'll never forget it. Thank you nice lady.
~~~hugs, Laika

The Valentine

A sweet story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sweet story

This was a sweet, touching story.

OH NO!!!! You don't get off THAT light!!!!

Since St. Valentine's day is Monday, you have time to write a sequel, and maybe we can find who Emily's ardent admirer is. You can't lead a horse to water and the forbid her to drink. More, more, more, I want more. But it is a sweet and very romantic beginning.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Please, no sequels

It's perfect just as it is.

That one bit of happiness, real, imagined, hoped for.... without witch we could not face even one more day. You captured it. Put it down for others to read.

And, days later, thinking of this story still brings me to tears tho I don't know if it is for the small joy Emily feels or that this is all the joy she has.

Janice

Janice