Changing Roles - Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

th1E5FMWIT.jpg

Changing Roles
By Julie Dawn Cole
Chapter 15

Emily grabbed hold of my hand and dragged me to the escalator, and we went down to the beauty and cosmetics floor. We headed towards a hair and beauty salon called Renaissance that looked expensive and occupied at least 2 units.
‘Emily this is too much. It looks like it’s going to be by appointment only and it’s a Saturday, so it’s bound to be full.’
‘Come on don’t be so pessimistic We can try at least.’
I let Emily lead the way and a smartly dressed lady stepped forward to greet us and asked if we had any appointments. She looked through her appointment book shaking her head and so Emily took her to one side, and they whispered together. The lady disappeared into the salon.
‘We’re in luck. She has a young trainee who is keen to gain experience and I agreed that she could practice on you with the owner supervising. Needs must so I said yes and offered to pay extra.’
‘What? She might make a mess of my hair and my hairdresser will go ballistic when I go for my next appointment.’

‘It’s not just your hair she will throw in a few extras that is a test if her skills for Cindy, the owner. She is confident that Jillian will do a good job. She was a star pupil at training college and she is ready to have her own clients. So you are very lucky. It is the only way to queue jump and you’ll be fine.’

‘I’m not sure about this Emily. It seems so sudden. Can’t we walk around the Mall a while and discuss this?’

‘No Julie I don’t think we’ll get the chance if we delay a decision and it’s time for you to let your true self have some fun. Trust me but most of all relax because other than me nobody knows you here. They must have lots of clients who enjoy their feminine side like you.’

I relented and calmed down. It was true that we were unlikely to meet anybody who knew me, and I was unlikely to visit again on my own. I looked up and smiled at Emily as Jillian came out to meet us. She escorted us to a spare chair where I was seated facing the large mirror. She introduced herself properly and thanked me for trusting her and said she was a little nervous but very excited. Emily cut in and said that we had full confidence and to take her time because we weren’t in a hurry. She said that I was her best friend and that this was a special treat, and we weren’t going to a function, so a daytime look was fine. She was going to have a coffee in the mall and make a few calls whilst I was in the chair, and she’d come back in an hour or so or when I messaged her. It felt like I was in a dentist’s chair so I almost reached out to ask her to stay but she just smiled and said to trust Jillian and follow her advice.

Jillian chatted away telling me that she’d always been interested in hair styling and make-up right from her early schooldays and that she used to get sent home from school for breaking school rules because of her heavy make-up. Her mother never chastised her and let her experiment actively encouraging her since she was always glamourous as an ex-model. Looking into her face I could see how expert she was with her own make-up, and she had beautiful blonde hair with streaks. That gave me confidence but what was I thinking? I hadn’t come out for a make-over just to go out shopping with my boss who was a stranger in the area.

Jillian was so excited to be getting the chance to prove she had the skills to her boss, and I couldn’t move. I seemed to be frozen or even glued to the chair, nervous and tongue-tied. Part of me wanted to enjoy the experience and the other part felt I needed to escape and go home.

Jillian caught my attention again by producing a styling book showing lots of models with several hair style options and a variety of colouring. She explained which she thought were best for each model and which she’d have recommended if asked.
‘Jillian please we don’t have much time and these all look expensive, and they are not suitable for me. I only came in because my boss wanted me to have a tidy up. You do know I’m a man, don’t you?’

‘So what. I was born a boy too but who says looking nice is exclusive rights of people born in female bodies? We have equal rights.’

I was speechless. No way was I looking at a boy in the mirror. Jillian was all girl. I tried to smile as I looked in her eyes and stuttered a few words telling her that she was very beautiful and an asset to the salon. I guess she must have inherited her mother’s looks.

‘So, are we going to make some decisions then or do you want to pack up my things and leave? I’m not going to do anything that can’t be reversed if you don’t like it. Trust me please.’

I felt a little ashamed of myself, so I just nodded my agreement. ‘OK then. I do trust you so I’m sorry if I offended you in any way.’

She sprung immediately into action before I changed my mind. She quickly suggested several style options for my hair that she felt would better suit the shape of my face and said the ponytail I’d been wearing for I don’t know how long was not good for keeping my hair in the best condition. She also recommended that she shape my brows a little since it would emphasise my femininity for those in any doubt. I was dumbstruck but inwardly excited to see the results, so I nodded my agreement. I didn’t really say yes I just nodded. Then she pointed to a photo of a model in her book.
‘See this style here. Your hair is long enough, or I if I’m wrong, I could add a few extensions to give it more body if you prefer a l longer style. Short, face-framing layers work really well for most hair types, and they are such an easy way to add movement and keep your hairstyle interesting,”
She moved my head around fluffing up my hair. ‘For a modern take on the style, we could do layers that shape the face instead of flip into it. This cut is especially great for people with thick hair like you who need a manageable shorter style for work, though it also works well on thinner hair types as well since it adds loads of volume.’ I had no idea what she was talking about.

‘But it looks totally feminine, and I must think about the reaction of my family and people at work. This is a beautiful model in the book, so she is bound to look good.’

‘In my opinion and that of thousands of others it’s amazing what a hairstyle and make-up can do for a woman. Men miss out. I assure you that you have the features to carry this off. It’s my professional opinion. So? Am I good to go Miss Julie?’

‘I suppose so.’

She smiled and covered me in a waterproof apron guiding me over to a sink where I could lay back whilst she shampooed and condition my hair. She gently massaged my head, and I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feeling of her strong fingers. Soft music was playing in the background, and I almost drifted off to sleep. The products had a beautiful aroma unlike my Wash & Go lotion, and she gently dried my hair before wrapping it in a towel.

‘Your hair is in a pretty good condition considering you never had any treatment and not too many split ends. It won’t take long so I’ll just tidy up your eyebrows whilst it dries a little. I don’t want to use a blow drier. You have nice long eye lashes. Do you use eye liner to emphasise them?’

‘Not really. I have done when I’ve been out with friends, but I could never do that during the week when I’m working.’

‘Well, if I applied a little would emphasise your eyes.’

‘I think we are visiting a make-up counter later, so I don’t know what Emily has planned for me.’

‘Well, here is a card for my friend who is not far from here. Her name is Sarah Jane. She is one of us.’

I was taken aback a little when she said ‘one of us’ but Jillian just carried on as if everything was normal and I wasn’t trying to hide my feminine side.

I heard Emily’s voice as Jillian was applying the finishing touches to my hair. It hadn’t taken long even though she’d added a few hair extensions. Looking in the mirror I saw Emily approach us and then a broad smile appeared on her face.

‘Wow looking good. Well done, Jillian.’

‘Emily this is a shock to me. I can’t wear this style out and about and especially not to the office. I’m a man and this is a woman’s style.’

‘It looks the perfect style for my PA Julie. I promise not to reprimand you. Anyway, we have the whole weekend for you to get used to it and it will be helpful tomorrow and if we find the right outfits you will not be refused entry. On Tuesday I’m sure this look is going to attract Jacks attention and reduce the risk of any suspicion about your motives for a meeting. It’s sure to get back to George as well that will confuse him a bit if he meets you as I hope.’

‘So do you think it’s OK to keep it in this style after today?’

‘Of course, I have no reservations at all. My brother crossed the bridge without difficulties so why not you? This young lady has an amazing career ahead of her don’t you agree.’

‘Yes, she is very talented and very nice too.’

‘Come on then let’s go to the next place to finish your look.’

‘Jillian has recommended a friend of hers.’

‘Oh good. Perhaps she’ll call her and introduce us and ensure we can fit her schedule.’

Jillian made the call and confirmed we could go straight around whilst it was quiet. Emily went over to Cindy to thank her for her support, and she paid the bill leaving a large tip. ‘Come back anytime please. It has been nice meeting you and I’d like the chance to hear how your new look went down.’

On the way to the make-up counter, I explained to Emily that Jillian was a boy living as a girl. ‘Nothing surprises me these days Julie. I must admit I would never have guessed.’

The make-up counter was in a central counter on the main corridor of the mall and there was nowhere to hide with passers-by free to look on. I hesitated but Emily pushed me forward and we introduced ourselves.

‘Hello Julie. It seems like Jillian has done a great job with your hair so let’s finish the model look. Are you open to ideas or is there a particular look you are aiming for? Are you going somewhere special or just going on a date.’

Nervously I responded. ‘Nothing special. We are girlfriends just chilling out and doing some shopping over the weekend then heading over to Harrogate for a spa day tomorrow.’

‘Oh nice. Nothing too heavy then that will spoil. Are you just looking for ideas to go with your new hairstyle.’

Emily interrupted. ‘Yes that’s about right. She’s not very good at finding the right shades. She tends to look like a drag artist if she’s not careful.’

‘We can’t have that can we. Everything in moderation. You have beautiful eyes so let’s start there.’

Less than an hour later she sat me up and let me look in a mirror. All evidence of my maleness had disappeared, and I was amazed and once again speechless. Emily had been sitting on a seat close by glancing over occasionally to check progress. I was looking for a positive reaction and I was relieved when Emily raised a thumb and came over.

‘So how much did you take note Julie? Are you able to re-create this look yourself?’

I shook my head and said Sarah Jane was an artist and I wouldn’t get close but Emily said not to worry as she would help. I couldn’t really admit that I did have a few years of experience of application but more for night-time outings in subdued lighting.

That done Emily suggested we had a coffee at Costa coffee and then we could head back to purchase the items I’d tried on and maybe a few extras.

‘Emily it’s getting out of hand. All this is costing a fortune. Are you sure it’s OK?’

‘Of course, it is. It’s an absolute pleasure to see you look so happy and I’m being well paid to sort out the Company. It’s not like I’ve anything else I’d rather spend it on. Nothing anyway that gives me such satisfaction.’

I stayed quiet. I supposed her remuneration was much greater than the combined package that George and I had received and if she achieved the desired result the shareholders would be more than satisfied and no doubt will be approving a big bonus. So hard work doesn’t always bring reward, but emergency repair work often brings much greater benefit. Still, I had my chance and struggled. As a result, I’d hardly dared face them and now with this appearance no way on Earth were they ever going to get chance if I could help it. At least Emily was trying to protect me.

Inside the coffee shop I was conscious of my need to relieve myself that was becoming uncomfortable. There were no customer toilet facilities in the coffee shop since public toilets were convenient just across the court. Emily could see my problem and said it would be a good test for me to pay a visit to the ladies on my own now my male features had been erased. I didn’t have much choice since I couldn’t last until we arrived home and we still needed to collect the clothe items we’d set aside. I figured it was the excitement that was affecting the urgency so I stood up to excuse myself so I could hurry across.

‘Julie wait a moment. Here take my bag. You’ll need a tissue and some wipes for your hands and I always carry them for public facilities. We need to get you a bag and some bits and pieces so you blend in with other girls.

‘Emily this is crazy. What if I get challenged or stopped?’

‘You must have done it before surely. Just be confident and don’t hesitate. It’s not like anybody is going to be monitoring the visitors. I’ll see you back here.’

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sometimes we all need a little push…..

D. Eden's picture

To move forward. Julie is lucky to have someone willing and able to help her get over her fears and move ahead with her life.

I can only wonder though as to what Emily’s motives might be, and just where this ends up.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Maybe it's selfish

I almost gave you the likely scenario but had to resist the temptation.

Jules

In for a penny

In for a pound ( at least I think that’s right). Methinks there won’t be a problem.

Guidance from a friend

Jamie Lee's picture

Julian had gone out as Jules but with other girls. And at night. Now, thanks to Emily, or cursing Emily, Julie has a new hairdo, makeup look, and new clothing and shoes. But this time done during daylight hours.

Again, Julie was worried what others would think if Julian was discovered under the Julie look. Even though others only saw a girl named Julie out and about with a girl friend.

Emily is feeding Julian confidence to be Julie, the person he wants to be but is afraid of being found out. If no one has discover Julian under Julie's exterior, no one at work will see Julian either. And they may even be happy for her.

Others have feelings too.

D-Day

joannebarbarella's picture

No going back on Monday! In at the deep end.

We end on a cliffhanger…

Julia Miller's picture

Julie has to go into the women’s room in the mall. She is a bit apprehensive since the gender police might be out looking for her. Lol. Great story so far.

Neither…

Robertlouis's picture

…Julian nor Emily have yet described the new look in detail. That is surely the acid test, and also how Julian/Julie responds to it, both immediately and in the longer term.

Is it here to stay? Only time, and Ms Coles, will tell. But something very big is definitely imminent. And we’ve still got the meeting with George’s son to come.

☠️

Sounds like

A real life test. I suspect she will pass.

I hope Julie begins to realize

Dee Sylvan's picture

Emily is acting like in mentor in several ways. She must have seen something in Julie right from the start to put her in the position she did. Of course her experience with her family was instrumental. I know Julie Ann is just itching to cast aside her feigned reluctance to crossdress and dive in. I hope she lays her guilt aside and embraces her feminine side soon. Her trip to meet with Jack must be genuine or it won't succeed. Julie needed her hair, nails and makeup done to pull this off. At this point Emily is recognizing the conflicting feeling Julie is having and trying to be a friend as well. Emily is not pushing her so much as giving her opportunity after opportunity for Julie to acknowledge her desires.

The coming meeting with Jack, I believe, will be pivotal issue in this story. Will Julie come across as a trusting person to Jack, or will he pick up on the game? Emily also has a key role to play. We don't know if her feelings for Julie are anything more than platonic at this point, but she must also convince Jack of her interest in Julie. How will Julie get to the issue of Jack's father's new opportunity without causing suspicion? If they confirm what Emily suspects, they'll need to devise a plan to draw him out. Julie needs to wake up to the fact that she has been played like a fool, and George is the opposite of her friend.

I hope that Julie can become her true self sooner than later. I know she is sensitive about the money Emily is spending on her, but she must realize her whining is on the verge of becoming obnoxious.

Great story Jules, sorry for the late post. I have been running this last chapter through my mind to try and get a better feel for Emily. I still can't tell if she has any romantic feelings for either Julian or Julie. It would be cleaner if her thoughts were strictly of a big sister nature, but the heart feels what the heart feels. At any rate, Julie needs to get down on her knees every night and thank someone for Emily. Emily has literally saved Julie's bacon from professional disgrace and emotional trauma.

DeeDee