Changing Roles - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

th1E5FMWIT.jpg

Changing Roles
By Julie Dawn Cole
Chapter 14

Louise took note of the number and suggested I ring it whilst we were present so they could listen in. It rang out for a while and I was just about to terminate the call when it was picked up.

‘Jack Garside.’

‘Hi Jack this is Julian Cole speaking. I used to work for your father and we met once if you remember. We exchanged numbers but a lot has happened since then as you probably know and I’m calling because I’m really worried about your father.’

‘Hi Jules of course I remember you and I’m sure that dad is fine but thanks for your concern. I can see it’s you even though you sound a bit different because your name came up on my phone. It’s a pity we couldn’t keep in touch because you were very beautiful that night. I got into trouble with my girlfriend for spending too much time with you and dancing with you. As I recall you were uncomfortable at first, but you were fine when the slow dances started. I suppose we did spend a lot of time chatting, so no wonder Rachel was jealous.’

Luckily Emily and Louise couldn’t hear what Jack was saying to me and I tried my best not to blush or give anything away about my social life. I hardly recognised Jacks voice that was very masculine and much deeper than when we’d met.

‘I am surprised you haven’t been in contact or met up with dad yet. I know he thought a lot about you. There isn’t anything wrong is there?’

‘Nothing to be worried about I hope but maybe we can chat and you can put my mind at rest. It’s quite sensitive. He hasn’t been in contact with me at all and he indicated he had a job lined up and there might be an opportunity for me. He promised to keep in touch and a few things have happened recently at work. I need to get out but I’ve not pestered him in case things weren’t working out as he hoped.’

‘He’s fine I assure you. I guess he doesn’t want to put you in an awkward position until he gets to the end of the 6 months paid leave as he has to sit on his hands.’

‘So, I’m better not to worry or contact him then?’

‘Yes, just be patient for now and I’ll have a word with him for you. But it might be helpful if you can share what’s been happening since he left. You can explain to me if you like in case anybody is keeping an eye on you.’

‘That would help a lot so is there any chance we could meet up sometime? I’m sure I’m expected to leave this place to work for your dad so it’s uncomfortable and his replacement is shaking things up and looking under stones to find reasons why we were struggling for cash.’

Emily looked at me and waved her finger to stop me saying too much but I needed to convince Jack to meet me and that I was on the same side as George and I had information to share. It seemed to be working because Jack responded positively.

‘OK but we need to be careful and I think the Gay Village is as good as anywhere, down Canal Street. I could meet you down there dressed like you were before so we blend in although I look a bit different now with this hair all over my body due to the hormones. I’m less like a butch lesbian that pleases Rachel and she encouraged me to grow a beard in case you don’t recognise me.’

‘You could sent me a photo if you wish although I think I’ll recognise you even if you were wearing a Santa Claus outfit.’

‘I hope not. This has cost me a fortune and I’ve bulked up a bit at the gym. They never question me although I have to wear a packer.’

‘What about your breasts? Do you bind them?’

‘Used to but I had top surgery 6 months ago and the scars are hidden with a chest tatoo. I feel fitter than I’ve ever been. Dad is finally accepting me as the son he always wanted but mum is none too pleased. No grandchildren to pamper.’

Emily was indicating that I was doing a good job to gain Jacks confidence so she put her thumb up. Louise seemed to be recording the call. My end at least.

‘Well Jules the meeting might work for you dressed as you like to blend in but I have a girlfriend and she does get quite jealous if I get too close to people.’

‘Well I could bring a friend if that helps. Maybe have dinner the four of us or just drinks at a bar or at a club.’

‘That might work. I think Rachel will be OK if a meal is involved and she knows how close you were with dad. We can always get them talking whilst you and I catch up. I’m sure dad will agree it’s better for us to meet together rather than you two meet up. He’s taking special care to keep a low profile.’

‘That’s great so when is convenient and where should we meet. I haven’t been down to your part of Manchester in a while with my friends. Certainly, since I got a new boss.’

‘A friend of ours has a nice restaurant and bar that is a few minutes from here. Tuesday nights are nice and quiet so we could have something to eat and then a few drinks. Does your friend know much about what went on or your business?’

‘No she is just a friend I met when clubbing. Nothing too serious. Not yet at least. She is a bit younger than me and she is quite attractive so Rachel might be distracted and happy to chat to her. Her name is Charlie.’

‘Does she approve of your passion then?’

‘Well, we met on the dance floor and she could tell straight away. She is very smart and moved here from London, so she doesn’t know many people or anything about what I do for a living.’
‘So, she is gay and doesn’t mind that you have extra bits?’

‘Yes, but you were attracted weren’t you? She just came out of a relationship.’

‘So, you are on the bounce?’

I looked at Louise and Emily and they indicated I should wind up the chat. ‘Sort of. Anyway, Jack I’m at work and I have to go now so how about next Tuesday?’

‘OK I’ll check and confirm and give you the name of the bar and a time. You’ll like it and hopefully so will your girlfriend. See you Tuesday. I’ll see dad over the weekend to update him.’

We finished the call and it was a relief.

‘Well done Jules. That went better we expected. He like you I think.’

‘Yes so hopefully we will meet next Tuesday for something to eat and a few drinks.’

‘So I gather and I’m your lesbian girlfriend am I?’

‘Well it seemed the only way to get him to meet so he can bring his girlfriend. I’ve never met her but she is quite a business woman so you should get on very well. You wanted to be there and it’s easier for him if it’s a foursome.’

‘Yes it’s OK I can be your escort and try to distract her. Best to try to avoid suspicion and I can play the part. It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve chatted up a girl. I’ll be interested to see how you handle yourself.’

We finished the meeting and I left Emily and Louise to chat and wrap up. Now Emily was going to see the other side of me that I had always hidden away from anybody at work. I didn’t feel as nervous as I would have done 2 weeks earlier since Emily was aware of my out of work divertissements that were innocent as far as she was concerned.

I googled the gay and LGBT clubs and bars in Manchester to look for the one owned by Jack’s girlfriend or her family. I’d probably had too many drinks when I’d visited and just followed my friends. It had good reports and was popular with the lesbian community. It looked like it had good décor and seemed easy to find. There were a few other bar/restaurants close by all convenient to Canal Street that I’d visited several times with friends. I wondered if it was Jack who had financed the purchase of the club and put it in his girlfriend’s name. I recalled his girlfriend was still quite young and her family didn’t seem to be particularly wealthy as far as I was aware. Unless of course they had won the lottery. I was glad that I’d left the meeting venue up to Jack who would know the best places. I just hoped that Emily wouldn’t feel too embarrassed to visit the gay part of Manchester but the good thing was that nothing seemed to phase her.

The rest of the day wasn’t too exciting since Emily was locked in her office and busy on the phone most of the time. She did pop out to confirm our arrangements for the weekend and said that she would drive and pick me up both days. Better to be spoiled in her executive car and use company fuel. My company vehicle was much lower standard and even George didn’t drive such an expensive model. Then again, she had been hired to sort out the company and the Chairman was her uncle. In any case for the low mileage, I did the income tax would have been horrendous and I had been satisfied with the car that I’d had to give up to Melanie Baxter. She wouldn’t have been used to funding the inland revenue as much as some of us have been and it reminded me, I should notify them that this perk had been retracted.

Saturday was planned for a shopping trip and Emily called for me at 9-30am so we could beat the rush. I didn’t particularly need anything because I was being quite frugal with my budget due to the costs of supporting my parents and my aunt. Emily seemed to have other ideas and she seemed quite excited, and she insisted that she was going to treat me and help me choose the best style that suited me. I had two wardrobes of clothes that I funded but in truth some outfits were looking more worn than I liked.

After a breakfast snack we headed to the level where some of the better designer label shops were located and I wished I had the money to spend on such luxuries and more important some occasion to wear them. I watched with interest as Emily quickly scrutinised items on some of the racks and passed some of them to me to carry.
‘Come on Julie I need your assistance please. Can you carry these?’

‘But I can’t go with you Emily we are on the ladies’ floor and these are female changing rooms.’

‘Come on spoilsport don’t be such a chicken. We are spending and you can easily pass for female. You should have planned ahead and put on some make-up and styled your hair. If you are worried we can come back later and try a few things for you to wear and first we can get you more in character at a hair salon and call at a make-up counter.’

‘But I can’t. Please just let me carry a few things and I’m quite happy just watching.’

‘Julie, I didn’t bring you here to mope about feeling jealous and wishing you had the opportunity to spend, spend, spend. I’m treating you this weekend because you deserve spoiling for all the things you do for your family and the way you’ve accepted the change in your role.’

‘But that is wrong. You aren’t responsible for what’s happened. It’s down to me.’

‘I think you’ve been used Julie because of your kind nature. I still don’t think you can believe that people you respected have cheated the company and let you down and the shareholders down.’

‘But I am here to help you and I don’t need anything. It is so embarrassing. I can’t accept your kindness. It’s not right.’

‘Well put it this way I’ve been appointed to sort things out and I need your help. The least I can do is help you in return. It’s not a gift it’s a reward. Also I have a deep interest in understanding how you feel and I want to understand what my brother has gone through and how I can build bridges between him and our family. We let him down. I may need your help soon. A lot of families get destroyed when these things happen. I want you two to meet soon and just take it that I’m being selfish by sponsoring you for a while. Sometimes opportunities come along and when we first met and I watched you accept the injustice that occurred it made me think a lot. You have given me a path forward whether you understand or not. Two paths really.’
‘OK I’m sorry to hear about your family problems and I have no idea how I can help but whatever you think might help I’ll do my best.’

‘So let’s leave these with the assistant and go get you sorted out. It will answer you concerns about tomorrows pamper day if I’m right. I want you to experience a nice massage and a facial and you will find that a lot of stress is released and you’ll wonder why you never did it before.’

‘OK but I’m paying you back for all of this so please let me pay my share.’

‘Look Julie if it’s so important to you then I’ll keep a tab and consider it. However whilst I can’t guarantee anything I think we’ll be paying you a nice bonus.’

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think Julie has a very good friend……

D. Eden's picture

In Emily. It’s a tough relationship, being friends with your employer or your boss, but I have managed it multiple times and have found it pays great rewards in the end. Work relationships can be fleeting, whereas personal relationships can last a lifetime if the people and the sentiment are right.

Emily is right, Julie has been too trusting and too loyal to people that have taken advantage of Julian in the past. I think she is having her blinders removed little by little, and I am dying to see where this ends up.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Hmmm

Robertlouis's picture

Jack sounds genuine, but it’s too early to start to trust him. He could be covering for his father, and everything still points to George and the previous CFO, with others in the company, setting Jules up as the fall guy for all the fraudulent activity that’s been going on.

Emily is taking a risk going in as Jules’ supposed girlfriend, just in case anyone recognises her on this occasion or later.

Meanwhile, Emily is going to have to kick Jules up the arse to get him/her to come off the sexually ambivalent fence once and for all. Maybe this shopping expedition will do it. Fingers crossed.

☠️

What does Jack know?

Dee Sylvan's picture

Julie must be wondering how she missed all of the dirty dealings going on under her nose. I think that Julie is about to find out that George was going to make her the fall guy. I wonder what George would share with Jack, though. It will be fun to see what happens with Julie and Emily on a lesbian date. Dating at work is a minefield although this is a 'fake' date, I imagine that Julie is going to go all out to impress Emily. Louise and Emily and Julie are quite the team. Coming out in 'full Julie' mode for the 'fake date' is another step down that slippery slope for our heroine. I'm sure Emily will question Julie why she ever dresses androgynously at work. It seems she becomes more efficient and effective the more she looks and acts like her Julie persona full-time.

DeeDee

Agent Provocateuse

joannebarbarella's picture

Julie and Emily are about to tread a dangerous path. Let's hope all goes well. Jack may not be as disassociated with his father as he is making out. Also Emily is about to experience Julie in fully feminine mode. She may insist that she continues at work, in keeping with her role as PA.

Refusing help

Jamie Lee's picture

Julian is too naïve a person to see ill right under his nose. He couldn't believe people would be dishonest to the company where they worked. It took his being reassigned and for Emily to bluntly point it out before Julian saw it for himself.

It's honable for him to care for his family members on what pay he receives. But he needs to understand it's sometimes okay to accept help in areas when finances can't help. That sometimes pride needs to be placed aside to accept the offered help.

Julian has believed Emily reassigned him as her PA because she wanted more women in manager positions. His opinion has changed over time, even more so as Emily explained herself and her goals.

He also bristled over the uniform he had to wear, not the uniform itself, but that it was a woman's uniform. What he has yet to understand is the why behind what he's wearing to work. What Julian doesn't see is the woman Emily and the other women see in himself. Emily is nudging him slowly towards the woman she sees and knows Julian should be. But she has to break through the self imposed wall Julian has built to separate the women he becomes at home, and the man he appears to be at work. The more she picks away at his wall, the sooner it will crumble and Julie will finally be seen at work.

Others have feelings too.

Things are definitely

Looking up, and I am looking forward to the rest of this story.

Now this will be interesting

Nyssa's picture

Which is what I seem to say to myself after each chapter, lol! You keep ramping up the suspense, can't wait.

Off kilter?

Andrea Lena's picture

no careening head-long off a cliff. (S)he's easing down a slight incline. The thing she might recall in all of this, her protests to the contrary, is there is no demand to cooperate in anything. She might be enticed, but her momemtum is entirely under HER control.

AND her creator has never placed any prose-born child of hers in any peril for which there was never an escape. Brilliant as always! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena