The Courtship of Cerridwen Circe Whitethorn (9)

Printer-friendly version

The Courtship of Cerridwen Circe Whitethorn
Chapter 9: Mother's Advice

I don't think there is anything more precious to a daughter than spending time with her mother. Since becoming Cerridwen my mom has made a point to spend more time with me, guiding me if you will down the fable path of womanhood. At first I tried to hide the fact that I was seeing a boy from my mom. But people talk in this small town and my mother has an ear for gossip. Plus, she was a hairdresser by trade, and people love to gossip while getting their haircut, colored, styled, and washed.

And it goes without saying that southern women love to gossip, so it goes without saying that it was only a matter of time before one of those lovely old southern woman whom adores mom and considers her hands blessed by the gods, told her how nice it was that her daughter was dating that nice young gentleman from Vicksburg.

Mom, who had no idea I was talking to Daisy or that I'd sat in his lap while getting my annual flu shot, was stunned, but instead of losing her cool, she allowed the woman to talk,  the said woman in question, which happened to one of my teachers. So she told mom everything, including my lunch dates with Daisy in the Nurse's office, the slapping incident, me being sick, our movie date, and me sitting on his lap during my annual flu shot. The last one amused mom, because she had done the same thing when started dating.

I ramble on again. Anyway mom had been away on business with dad when all of this had transpired. Anyway, faced with these facts, mom decided that she and I should have coffee one afternoon. The place she chose for our coffee date was none other than the patio section of Sweet Magnolia. Sweet Magnolia was a southern take on maid-cafe. Its full name was “Sweet Magnolia Bakery and Tea Room” and was famous for two things, fresh baked pies, cakes, and fresh brewed coffee. It was also famous for its wide selection of teas. It was also infamous for the fact that most of the staff wore frilly maid dresses.

I should know I helped out the two owners from time to time. The two owners were Lily Elizabeth Potter, big sister to Jamie Sarah Potter, who was my best friend and mentor and Robin Katherine Peers. Who was a bit of a slave driver. Also the two “Head Maids” that what they called shift-leaders were my best friends and mentors too, they were Jamie Sarah Potter, and Madeline Diana Brewer. Below them you had “Maids” , your average workers, two of whom I was also friends with their names were Willow Peers, little sister to Robin. And Taylor Anna Croft.

Now I'd been promised a job, once I get a workers permit first of course. But mom wanted me to focus on my studies first and feared getting a full time job would cause my grades to suffer. Lily though had promised to only have me work a few days a week and promised to use her network of spies to keep taps on my grades. If my grades started to slip, then my hours would be cut as a result and the other girls would band together and tutor me and help me bring that grade back up.

Anyway that was all in the future. Like this summer, I still had to make it through my Sophomore year. Anyway I ramble, I think I tend to ramble more and more as time goes on. Anyway, returning to the story now. The afternoon was kind of perfect, Homecoming was less than two weeks away, the leaves on the trees had started to turn from green to gold, orange, and rust red. A gentle breeze kept away the mosquitoes, black flies, and gnats. All in all it was a perfect, late summer, early autumn afternoon.

Like I said before, mom and I had been seated in the patio section, and since it was a weekday, the area was almost deserted, so it was really the perfect place to have a semi-private conversation. Mom was dressed in a lavender colored sundress, her long black hair was pulled back tight bun and she wore just enough make-up to accent her eyes and her facial features. She sat across from me, gently sipping her coffee, if you can call it coffee at all. Mom likes to have plenty of sugar and cream in her coffee.

Me on the other hand had settled on a cup of creamy hot chocolate.

“So Cerridwen.” My mom said as she sipped her coffee. “A little birdie told me you have a boyfriend now.” Mom said as she placed her cup of coffee down. She then leaned back in her chair and smiled at me, “Tell me, what is he like?”

I blinked and took a sip of my hot chocolate. My mind was a storm in a tea-cup right now. I'd been preparing to answer that question since Daisy and I started seeing each other. But now that it was time to answer that question, my mind was drawing a total blank.

“Well.” I said blushing. “He's cute, soft spoken, bookish, he often quotes The Rubaiyat. And he treats me like a lady.” I added. As I reached down and picked up my cup of hot chocolate. I took another sip. “And I try to treat him like a gentleman. He buys lunch one day, and I buy lunch the next. He buys the tickets, I buy the snacks. I know respect is a two way street and I want things to be..” My voice trailed.

Mom nodded her head.

“I see,” Mom then reached over and placed her hand on my hand. “Cerridwen, there a old saying, that goes something like this, life is a box of chocolates, you never really know what you're going to get. To get a better idea from where I'm coming from, most mothers expect there new born baby girls to bring home a boyfriend in about fifteen or so years. They also expect there new born baby boys to bring home a girlfriend in roughly the same length of time.” Mom paused to take another sip of her coffee.

I nodded my head. I wanted to say something, but something told me to just hold my tongue and let mom finish what she wanted to say. Mom could get pretty long winded. So it was best just to buckle up and listen to her.

“Anyway, for fourteen years, I've been preparing myself for you to bring home a girlfriend. Then about a year or so ago you came out as Cerridwen and I discovered my son was really my daughter.” She paused. “Don't get me wrong, I always wanted a baby girl. And if things had worked out. I'm sure I would have given you a little sister to tote around and look after. Anyway, once the shock of you coming out had worn off, I felt this sense of joy. Like I get to have the daughter I always wanted.” Mom said as she took another sip of her coffee.

“Anyway, you're a teenager and teenagers start developing feelings for each other. And it's only natural that you want to have a boyfriend. Now this might be true love. I mean I was only eighteen when I met your father and twenty when I married him.” Mom continued. “So I'm not going to rule anything out. I just don't want you to get too wrapped up in this okay?”

I nodded my head.

“There are so many things you need to do first before you settle down, and there are plenty of fish in the sea.” Mom paused to take another sip of her coffee. Then she continued. “I mean we still need to get you driving, you still need to get that work permit.” Mom paused. “Yes, I decided that I'll let you start working here this autumn.” Mom said with a small smile. “Lily assured me that she'll keep an eye on your grades. Also you'll have to maintain a 'B' average in all your classes in order to keep working here.”

I nodded my head, all that made sense to me.

“And of course, we need to get your boyfriend to meet your father. You know how your father is, he's the old fashioned type. The kind of man who would want to sit down and have a man to man talk with him. Maybe take him fishing or hunting.” Mom said with a sigh.

“Daisy and I have a date this Saturday.” I said finally, “He's going to take me out to the skating rink. So maybe this coming Friday..” My voice trailed a little. “We could invite Daisy over to our house and have him meet daddy?”

Mom blinked and sighed as she drained her coffee.

“Of course sweetheart.” Mom then peered directly at me. “I would love to have your boyfriend over for dinner. Though I would suggest we make it Sunday instead.” Mom closed her eyes and leaned back in the chair. “Daisy can spend the night with us, we'll all then go to Mass at the Episcopal Church in town. Then we'll pick up some KFC and have Sunday dinner here.”

“Wow mom.” I said blushing. “Sounds amazing.”

“Yes, I don't feel like cooking this weekend. But one day, we should invite him over for some of my special fried chicken.” Mom said as she slowly opened one eye. “Better yet, you can fry the chicken and I'll just walk you through the steps of cooking it. Fresh fried chicken, fried golden brown with a crispy, buttery crust, crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside. Collard green seasoned with strips of bacon and fat back. Garden fresh okra fried in an egg wash. Crescent rolls, and sweet tea.”

“Mom, you're making my mouth water.” I said finishing off my hot chocolate. At that moment Jamie appeared and without saying a word she placed another mug of hot chocolate down in front of me.

“Good. Because you'll be doing most of the cooking.” Mom said, smirking.

“Daisy does enjoy my cooking.” I said returning a smirk with one of my own.

“That's how I won your father over. That and a special  love potion.. and no I'm not telling you how to brew a love potion. That one brand of magic that I'll take to the grave with me.” Mom shifted her eyes around.

“Anyway, I brought this for you.” Mom then reached into her purse and pulled out a small novel. It was around the size of your average manga. The title of the book was, Gakkou No Kaiden: A Spine Tingling Collection of Ghost Stories. The author, much to my surprise, was none other than Dawn Sharbrough. My friend and mentor and also the new school nurse of Benton Academy. 

“Wow thank you.” I said looking down at the book. See mom rarely buys anything new, we are not the richest people in the world, and most of the things we buy are second hand, most of my clothing comes from second hand shops, most my toys growing up came from second hand shops, most of mom's cooking ware had been passed down from one generation to the other. Most of dad's work shirts were second hand too, as were most of his mom's clothing as well. So for her to buy something brand new, was pretty amazing.

“You're welcome. I really don't know what kind of books you read anymore, but I know you love ghost stories and I figured this small collection of ghost stories might even inspire you.” She paused and took another sip of your coffee again. “Anyway,  the plan going forward I'll say. We'll introduce your new boyfriend to your father this weekend. Have Sunday dinner at our place, and in about a week we'll take you to Vicksburg to get your Learners permit. I might even talk with Josephine and see if we can bring Daisy along. So both of you can take the test together.” Mom said with a sigh.

I blinked and blinked again.

“One step at a time my love.” Mom said giggling. “One step at a time.” She repeated as she took another sip of coffee. “Remember Rome was not built in a day.” She added.

And with that another episode in daily life comes to end.

To be continued.

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos