Gaby Book 24 ~ Fame ~ Chapter *1+2*

Printer-friendly version
book 24 cover.jpg

 

*Chapter 1+2*
Ontario Rainbow

 
It felt like i'd been crying for ever, good job I haven't got any massy on, i'd have right Raccoon eyes by now. I wiped the moisture from my face again before bending forward for Pat McQuaid to loop the gong over my noggin.

“Brilliant ride young Bond, well done,” he told me in his lilting accent.
“Er thanks,” I allowed as he warmly shook my paw.

I returned to the vertical, wiped my eyes again and with a smile once again waved at the cheering crowd. The tinned anthem started and the podium turned to watch the raising of the flags, Italian to the left, Dutch the right and there in the middle the red, gold and black bars of the German example for the second time this weekend. I felt a sad twinge that it wasn't the Union Jack but BC screwed me and you reap what you sow, so here I am, a double World Champion for my adoptive Germany.

It sounds like it was simple but it was actually quite close, well for second and third at any rate. I had half a wheel over Bronzini but it was only millimetres between her and Dettmeier. The three of us then had to do the usual photo stuff, you know, waving medals, all smiles then short interviews before being whisked off to doping control.
 
“I'll take those,” Annika suggested as I emerged from the cabin.
“Cheers,” I told my chaperone letting her take the plush Moose and flowers from me.
“Everything okay?”
“Yeah, no problems today, all that cola.”
“There you are, come on Gab, we can catch the lads,” Issy rattled out tugging my arm.
“Go on, I'll see you afterwards,” Annika grinned.
 
My kidnapper dragged me along behind the crowds lining the barriers, its a sad thing but the lads are still more of a draw than girls.

“Where're we going?”
“Tal's holding a space further down.”
“Right.”

Further down was actually a few metres from the two hundred to go markers, the crowd was only a couple deep here and it was easy enough to worm through to our team mate. At last an advantage to being a hundred fifty seven centimetres.

“We know whats happening?”
“They're inside two K,” Tal advised, “Lets see then.”

I dangled the gong for her to see.

“Thanks guys,” I offered hugging them both.

Lets face it, they were out front most of the day which took the heat off me, which in turn meant I had juice in the tank for the finale. So whilst I'm the one with the medal, its really been a team effort, I literally couldn't've done it without them.

“Hey, we're on TV,” Issy exclaimed.
“Where?”
“Over there,” she pointed across the road to a huge screen where, sure enough the camera was homed in on the three of us.

Well of course we couldn't resist mugging up, waving and waggling the medal which got a reaction from the crowd. Then the scene changed abruptly from the new girls world champion to the fast approaching lads peloton. I could see the diminutive figure of Cav about fifth wheel, both Paul and John were there too, looks like it'll be quite a gallop.

The crowd were yelling, slapping the barriers, we joined in enthusiastically. We could actually see more on the screen opposite than looking down the road, I'm glad I'm not contesting this one. The MC was getting quite exciteable then in a flash of bodies they were past us, everyone craning to see the last metres. Next moment though there was the unmistakable sounds of a crash, the watchers going quiet even as bikes and bodies bounced across the tarmac.

“Sugar!”
“What happened,” Tal asked.
“Huge smash,” I advised.
“Hope our guys are okay,” Is mentioned.
 
Its possibly the most dangerous part of any race and a big championship like this even more so. If it was just the specialist sprinters it would be bad enough but today, everyone fancies their chances and all it needs is a wayward elbow or touch of tyres and BAM! Carnage. Todays mess was even more galling for those involved as it was just twenty metres shy of the line, ride for all those kilometres across several hours to then miss the conclusion by a second, almost spitting distance.

By the time we'd made our way back up to the finish area the walking wounded were gone, only a few broken bikes and damaged riders still decorated the roadway even as the remainder of the field trailed in. John was being strapped up, looked like his collarbone, the other victim was being tended by several medics, looks serious, I recognised the jersey.

“Its Cav.”
“Bum, he can be a bit of a tit sometimes but I wouldn't wish this on him,” Tal told us.
“Yeah,” I agreed.
“He'll be okay,” Issy suggested.

The crash somewhat overshadowed the result, the win went to the Columbian Santos, Mikel Lamba claimed second for Spain and third was Paul having escaped the carnage. We might have a man down but we've scored another medal, thats three from a maximum eight we could have potentially won. Thats quite a good hit rate considering our numbers and the odds being against us.
 
By the time we'd cheered through another presentation, finally getting to the showers and back to our bus almost an hour later, John was back from the hospital.

“Well done everyone,” Frank beamed, “And I know its a break with tradition but Gaby, we are not eating pizza tonight.”
“Dang, I wanted to try that Texas hot,” I chuckled.
Frank ignored me and continued, “Nope, tonight its steak, you've all ridden hard and we've reaped the rewards. I've already had the Minister for Sport on the phone congratulating everyone and of course the head of the Federation joins with that sentiment, the seniors are unlikely to add to our medal haul later in the week. Bad news is we might be a little late, the guys from Radsport are meeting us at the restaurant to take some photographs and do interviews so the sooner we get there the sooner we can celebrate"
 
“So is it broken?” I asked John as we drove back towards London.
“No thankfully, just dislocated, still hurts to hell.”
“Anyone heard how Cav is?” Tal queried.
“Broken arm and road rash,” Laurin advised from up front.
“That sucks, I'll give him a call later,” well he might be the 'enemy' but he's still a mate.

Paul was still stroking his medal, his first at a major international championship.

“You'll wear that out,” Tony suggested.
“That what you did Tone,” John opined, referring to the others medal from last year.
“Its not a problem if you get fresh every year, right Gab?” Issy suggested.
“She's got so many gongs she could miss a few years,” Tal put in.
“How'd you know?” Tony queried.
“Dur, same team, been to the chateau.”
“You don't live in a chateau do you Gab,” John asked.
“Hardly,” I chuckled, “It's just an ordinary house.”
“Not exactly ordinary Gab,” Tal mentioned, “And Max does live in a Schloss.”
“Who's Max?” Paul enquired.
“Her boyfriend,” Issy supplied.
 
I checked my nails again, hmm, not brilliant but they'll do, hair, check, dress, check, gongs, check, lets go meet my public.

“Whoa, hot chicca!” Issy exclaimed.
“Well I do try.”

The dress was actually Mum's idea, the team frock is 'smart' but a victory meal deserves something a bit more, well, dressy. So here I am in a designer frock, strappy sandals, my hair in a messy up do and full war paint. Well okay it was a bit over the top but no ones gonna rain on my day, not now.

I spoke to Dad earlier, he was well made up natch, apparently everyones been ringing the house to congratulate me, friends, family – even Frau Boxberg. On one hand I'm sorry to not be there to bask in the glory, but there again I can look forward to speaking to everyone when I get back. Mum? Well she was out when I called, she's going to ring later.
 
“I'm disappointed,” Tal mentioned when she joined us in reception.
“Eh?”
“Apparently after Switzerland last year she turned up in full Kostum.”
“'She' is here,” I mentioned.
“Never!” Izzy exclaimed.
“Guys?” I tried interrupting.
“Straight up and i've seen pictures.”
“Tal, give over,” I requested with a groan.
“This I have to see, you'll have to send me some,” Iz went on.
“Guys, the others are waiting?” I pointed out.
 
Okay, I'm maybe a little overdone but the rest had made an effort too, even the lads – no I do't mean they had frocks on. Lets put it this way, everyone looked pretty smart, you know shirts buttoned, hair brushed, shoes polished. We all piled into a minibus, not ours so I'm guessing the adults will be having a drink tonight even if the rest of us are a way below Ontario's drinking age – oh well, lemonade it is then.

It wasn't a long drive to our destination, the Double Z Steak House, a clearly upmarket establishment if you used the cars in the lot as guidance. The 'taxi' dropped us off and we filed inside.

“Ve haf a reserve, unter Obermayer?” Frank told the Maitre d.
“Of course sir, your other guests are waiting at the bar.”
“Danke.”
“If you'd like to follow me.”

I felt a bit of a plonker walking through the restaurant, our large party of course got the other diners attention and me dressed like a dogs dinner – well you get the idea.

“Frank, good to see you, thanks for this.” a, lets say casually dressed individual came over and pumped Franks hand.
“Horst, ground rules, just the racing eh?”
“As you say Frank, oh this is Francesca, our photograper.”

Frank greeted the young woman toting several impressive looking cameras.

“So for those that don't know him,” Frank addressed us, “This is Horst Diebels from Radsport and the young lady with the cameras is Francesca?”
“Just Fran,” she offerred.
“How do you want to do this Frank?”
“Lets get the food ordered, I think this lot will talk to you as long as there isn't food on the table,” our leader suggested.
“Works for me, lets see those menus.”
 
“Well there's no doubting who the star is,” Horst Diebels stated somewhere between the salad bar and the arrival of my steak.
“Erm.”
“Nice to finally meet you and in such circumstances.”

Okay, I read Radsport, i've seen the guys name but you don't really associate names to the tiny face on the tag line.

“And you,”
“So what's it feel like to be a double Weltmeister?”
“I'm not really sure, should it feel different?”
“I don't know,” he admitted, “I've never won even a category two race.”
“I suppose its a bit surreal, here we are in a steak house, a few hours ago we were charging around Ontario and I was lucky to go over the line first which got me a gong.”
“I don't think there was much luck in it, between the three of you, tactically you had the race sewn up almost from the start.”
“But anything could have happened, I did have a double puncture, that might've ended things.”
“I didn't pick up on that, for sure that makes the result even more impressive.”
I shrugged, “Like I say, luck, another metre or two and I might have been on a different step or not on the podium at all.”
“Well from where I was watching you looked to be in perfect control and calm as a cucumber.”
“Maybe.” Calm? Desperate more like.
“Did you know that you are the first rider, at any level to do a National and Worlds double double?”
“Really?”
“For sure.”
“Must be in the genes,” I suggested.
 
The steak was excellent but maybe a little big even for me! I made a good attempt on it, disposed of a good number of proper big chips and a few onion rings too. We had a food break at that point, some of us were determined to finish with a wedge of the cherry pie we'd seen being delivered to other tables.

“Your attention for a few moments,” Frank requested.

Ot oh, speech time.

Once we'd quieted some he went on, “I know this weekend has had some disapointments as well as successes, i'd just like to say that as far as Annika, Laurin, Leon and myself go we consider you all to be winners. We might not have the biggest budget or best equipment but i'd happily trade those for the team spirit and dedication that you've all shown this weekend. So a toast, to Paul for his Bronze medal and of course Gaby, our very own double Weltmeisterin, to success!”

“Success!” we all raised our glasses.
“Speech, speech!” John suggested.

Well I did need to say something so I stood up, which quieted the rest of the table.

“I just want to say thanks, to the Federation for giving me this shot at the titles, to Frank for having faith in me, I know its been a bit iffy at times but especially to Izzy and Tal, without your efforts today this might not have happened, you gave your all, sacrificed your own chances for me. For that I'll be eternally grateful, thanks guys. Now where's that pie?”

I sat down quickly but Paul had already started a flat rendition of 'She's a jolly good fellow'. I could've disappeared into the carpet. There was more joking, more drinks, the pie, Fran flitted around taking photos – including getting Paul and me to mug with our gongs. Its probably just as well us riders couldn't drink or it might have got really silly!

It was heading towards eleven by the time we departed the Double Z, the day was fast catching up with me and my footwear was getting a bit uncomfortable too. I was certainly ready for my bed, I think the others were sagging too, there wasn't going to be any late night gossip group tonight.
 
I'd actually just turned out the light when the phone started trilling at me, who the heck is ringing at this time?

“Lo.”
“Gaby?”
“Mum?” I pushed myself up and clicked the light back on.
“What time is it there?”
“Erm, quarter past eleven?”
“Sorry kiddo, I tried earlier but you weren't there.”
“Out celebrating,” i advised.
“And well deserved, I'm so proud kiddo.”
“Where were you earlier?”
“Did your Father not say? RTL wanted me to go in for an interview.”
“Today?”
“Well its not every day a German wins a World title.”
“Only by proxy.”
“You live here and have a German passport, ticks all the right boxes. Add in that you're quite....”
I interrupted, “Not the c word!”
“I was going to say, pretty.”
“Mu-um,” I moaned.
“Can't a mother say that about her daughter?”
“Its, its demeaning.”
“Nope, its a fact, anyway they wanted me to talk through the race highlights, by the way, any news about Mark?”
“Broken arm apparently.”
“Looked pretty nasty.”
“Haven't seen it, they didn't show the finish at the lads presentation.”
“You certainly timed yours to perfection.”
“I didn't put all that effort in to have Bronzini nick it off me.”
“Look its late, you need to get some sleep, we can talk when you get back.”
“'kay, nite Mum.”
“G'night kiddo.”

I put the phone down and clicked the light off again. Geez, I made RTL sport!
 
“Everyone!” Frank called out over our noisy breakfasting, “Can I have your attention please.”

We quietened down and waited for the pronouncment.

“Thank you, so bags down as soon as you've done eating, our flight isn't until late so we've got time for a little sightseeing on the way to the airport. The hotel people made a couple of suggestions, there is either the Eaton Centre in Toronto or Niagara, I'll leave the decision up to you.”
“What's the Eaton Centre?” Paul asked.
“Sounds like a shopping centre,” Tal suggested.
“Shopping? Really?” Tony opined.
“Well I vote for Niagara,” I put in.
“Yeah, there are shops at the airport,” Izzy noted.
“Think Gab already has enough,” Tal mentioned.
“Eh?”
“Think she means the stuffed toys,” John snorted.
“Anyone else for Niagara?” Frank enquired.
“Yep.”
“Sounds fair.”
“Suits me,” Tal concluded.
“Niagara it is then, Gaby, Paul, if you can keep your medals in the hand luggage, I'm sure the Lufthansa people will want some pictures.”
“'kay,” I allowed.
 
We departed the Lamplighter Inn just turned nine and settled down for a couple of hours crossing southern Ontario. The scenery is, well unremarkable – you wouldn't describe it as hilly or flat, just mile after mile of mixed farmland with a few bits of woodland thrown in for good measure. There being nothing to really keep my attention beyond the windows I soon found myself dozing off.
 
“I thought it'd be bigger,” Tal opined.

We were stood watching the waters of Lake Erie descend on their way to Lake Ontario, just another group of tourists amongst the many come to see this natural spectacle.

“Really?” I queried leaning forward to see her past Iz.
“Well higher anyway.”

I guess I could agree with that but what it lacks in height it certainly makes up for in width, the far bank being over a kilometre from where we stood.

“That's really America over there?” Izzy asked.
“That's what it said on the board, we going down?”
“Suppose so,” Tal allowed.
 
To get from the upper promenade with its tourist tat to the waters below we joined a steady stream of fellow sightseers to use the lifts. It was a fairly slick operation, buy your ticket, walk through to the holding pen then along with a couple of dozen others, shuffle into the lift. A couple of minutes later you exit at the bottom and instead of looking down over the Horseshoe Falls you are looking up.

“We should do a boat trip,” Izzy suggested.
“Have we got time?”
“Bags,” Tal noted, “They're only out for a few minutes, we don't meet the others for over an hour.”
“Come on Gab, it'll be fun,” Iz chivvied.
“Go on then,” I agreed.

Fifteen minutes later we were decked out in thin plastic poncho things gripping the side rail of the Maid of the Mist as she motored straight towards the rushing waters of the falls. From this view point you certainly feel quite insignificant, you have to shout to communicate and despite the poncho's the spray does a good job of making you wet. I hadn't banked on our trip taking us behind the sheet of water – now that's just surreal!
 
“You look like drowned rats,” I suggested to the others as we waited to disembark.
“And you don't?” Tal noted.
“Toilets,” Izzy suggested.

Well all that water but it wasn't the call of nature Iz was thinking about, rather it was the availability of drying materials. Its amazing what a few paper towels can do for dripping hair, by the time we returned to the outside world we looked a bit more presentable. I suppose we could have bought some over priced souvenir towels but seriously, ten dollars?

The return trip to the promenade was a repeat of the drop, well except we already had the tickets.

“We'd best get a jog on,” Tal mentioned.
“Thought we had loads of time?”
“We still have to get to the tower thing,” she pointed out.

Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth. We set off at a fairly brisk pace, our destination, the observation tower, never seeming to get any closer until we were almost there. The rest of Team Germany were already waiting, we weren't late, well not really, well okay five minutes, not that anyone was keeping tabs.

“Good time girls?” Annika asked.
“Yup,” I agreed, “Full tourist bit.”
“When the boat went behind,” Tal offerred, “Scary.”
“You went on a boat trip?” Tony queried.
“Course,” Izzy replied.
“Man, I said we should do that,” John moaned.
“You wanted to go up the tower,” Paul mentioned.
“We could've done both.”
“Come on, you can compare notes later,” Frank suggested, “I reserved a table at a place a bit further along.”
 
The Falls restaurant was clearly geared to the tourist trade, nothing too fancy on the menu and a décor of historic photographs of the falls and town. At something approaching two we've missed the lunch rush, as a result we had a flock of servers attending our needs as soon as we were seated. Our flight isn't until nine, so we might want something at the airport but it'll certainly be cheaper eating a meal here.

I scanned the menu, to be honest I might have eaten breakfast back in London but last nights steak was still weighing a bit heavy.

“So what're you having Gab?” Iz asked as she scanned the food list.
“Dunno,” I admitted, “Maybe the Horseshoe Burger.”
“What's that?” Tal queried.

Well of course the menu was in English and Tal isn't the best at my birth language.

“Er, burger, onion rings with blue cheese.”
“Urgh, blue cheese.”
“You could have the Misty, that's got bacon and pineapple,” I suggested.
“Well I'm having a 'ham' omelette,” Izzy told us.
“Where's that? I didn't see that,” I told her.

The omelettes were huge, by the time you added the steak fries and salad there was enough to feed two comfortably. So much for a 'light' lunch. It felt a bit weird afterwards as we walked to where Leon had our transport parked in the bus parking, we've been doing tourist today, yesterday we were doing bike racer, all on the otherside of the world from home. Well across the Atlantic at least, still weird.

We loaded up and started the final leg back to Toronto airport, just over an hour away. On the one hand I was still popping from yesterdays result but I still felt a bit, I don't know, cheated is perhaps a bit strong, sad maybe, that we haven't seen more of Canada. If anything, stopping at Niagara Falls has made it worse, a tantalising look at what the country has to offer.

Don't get me wrong, I know we came to race bikes not for a holiday but it doesn't stop me wanting to see more of the country. Mum has bemoaned the same thing, you go to all these great places but rarely get the opportunity to actually see anywhere. Such is the lot of the elite bike rider I guess – see the world but only fleetingly as you pass through.

Maddy Bell © 18.11.2018

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter. And Gaby was

Great chapter. And Gaby was her usual self. ;-)

We were at the falls once when it was partially shut down so that they could check on loose rocks. Remember it's slowly working its way towards Lake Erie at about 1 foot a year.

Thanks for another great chapter.

Teddie

Niagara Falls

WillowD's picture

I think visiting Niagara Falls was a much better choice than visiting The Eaton Center. Especially as Gaby has already seen some awesome shopping centers in Germany.

We spent 4 days on location at Niagara Falls filming Reliving Marilyn. One or two of those days was doing touristy stuff instead of filming. We went for the boat ride. I missed doing the tower. We went to Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum and other touristy traps. It was awesome.

And I am so glad to see Maddy has posted this here. When I first discovered the Gaby series I eventually bought all of the books, even though I had found many of them for free at Maddy's site. Alas, money has gotten tighter and Ontario, the book before this one, is the last book I bought. Thank you so much Maddy for posting these stories here.

thanks

Maddy Bell's picture

for being a loyal follower of my scribbles

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

So

Gaby totally smoked Backstabber, that is Backstadt! We don't hear anything about her after that brief "encounter" before the TTs. Shame, Gaby should have had her moment to gloat!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin